You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ramblings of an old man

Comments

• edited May 2014
    Welcome back pal
  • edited May 2014
  • edited May 2014
    Exciting times.
    Watched the semi final behind a cushion last night. Didn't play too well but who cares. Still really nervous for Sunday but we have a great chance. I watched the other semi tonight. Wigan and QPR were both pretty awful which is good. Going to play the freeroll tomorrow night for final tickets. It'd would suck if I won and a Derby don't get there!
    Poker is in all honesty a bit dull just now. Treading water a bit at the Dyms. Periods like this are totally normal off course. During these times a Mtt bink kind of helps. No chance of that right now :( . I can't even remember the last time I cashed in a tourney. Again it's all normal but still frustrating. Just daft things like I got knocked out tonight when a guy limped utg. I shoved 9 bigs with AK and he snaps for half his stack with 10 7. At least it was quick :) he flopped a straight.
    Now the weather is turning, golf is more appealing when I get the chance and with the World Cup coming up I think my volumes gonna drop quite a bit.
    The boys doing really well. Started sleeping all through the night over the last couple of weeks which is brilliant. 

• edited May 2014
    ☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺
  • edited May 2014

Great to see you decided against not posting anymore. Congrats to Derby, have a great time at Wembley. On current form you have to be favourites to go up!

• edited May 2014
    Happy days all round Jac!

Look forward to hopefully playing your boys next season.
  • edited May 2014
    Great result.

What are your views on pitch invasions and fans running around with flares (not the 1960s trousers) and grabbing players?  Some pretty brutal scenes.
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man:
    Great result. What are your views on pitch invasions and fans running around with flares (not the 1960s trousers) and grabbing players?  Some pretty brutal scenes.
    Posted by bbMike
    Just returned from the boozer, hammered, so forgive grammatical errors.

The pitch invasion made me feel old!
    I was thinking, "please don't grab one of them around the neck and injure them in some way"

Result was brilliant. Commentary was awful. Derby are decent counter attacking was all I heard. Not sure how we counter attacked whilst having total domination of possession!

MIGHTY RAMS

Now I have to try and get a ticket. Went to most games last season but didn't get a season ticket as I couldn't commit to all. Gives me no preferential rights.

Sky

If you still have any freeroll championship final tickets lying around I don't mind taking one off your hands. Promise to be nice in all my posts from now on
  • edited May 2014
    Wem-ber-lee!!!!

Best of luck mate.
  • edited May 2014
    So we're playing QPR. I think I would have preferred Wigan, they looked pretty bad. QPR have on paper got a better squad than us aren't really a team. Just wonder if some of their big name players might turn it on at Wembley.
    No doubt there will be the usual media love in with Rednapp. I guess it's just the opposite for our Manager. He'll have to do a lot before he regains the respect of fans/media. We love him though. I'm thinking of getting a McLaren haircut. Maybe it's a chance for him to put some Wembley demons behind him.
    http://youtu.be/uB1D9wWxd2w
    Remarkably I'm came 3rd in a little tourney last night. Wonders will never cease. One of those runs for at the moment that come around every so often. Tonight KK in turbo did for half my stack against a rag ace. Next hand shove A3ss from the bb for 11 bigs over a button limper. He snaps with Q9 for 2/3rds of his stack. Yes, heard it all before, we want those calls. Not when they bloody hit we don't :)
    Watched the Gary Barlow thing with James Corden earlier. Often read about song lyrics having loads of meaning and all that tosh. A little different when you listen to 'let me go' again knowing that it was about his stillborn child. I was in bits.
    There was a bit in the programme that made me smile. Corden made a comment that Barlow was now at the perfect age because he'd always been 42. I've kind of always felt older than my age as well.
    Just about to press post and a guys just limped into my bb in a dym. I had 9's and so put him in. He snapped J2. I didn't win. When will it end????????
  • edited May 2014
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    chicob Small blind  150.00 150.00 2186.25
    Jac35 Big blind  300.00 450.00 1570.00
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • A

TimmyRaRa Fold     
    ctbn Fold     
    chicob Call  150.00 600.00 2036.25
    Jac35 All-in  1570.00 2170.00 0.00
    chicob Call  1570.00 3740.00 466.25
    chicob Show
    • J
    • K

Jac35 Show
    • K
    • A

Flop

• J
    • J

Turn

River

scribbler Small blind  200.00 200.00 2245.00
    Jac35 Big blind  400.00 600.00 2915.00
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • Q

ThePhoenix Fold     
    taylerrace Fold     
    scribbler All-in  2245.00 2845.00 0.00
    Jac35 Call  2045.00 4890.00 870.00
    scribbler Show

Jac35 Show
    • Q
    • Q

Flop

• J

Turn

River

• Q

scribbler Win Straight to the Queen 4890.00  4890.00
    • K

chicob Win Full House, Jacks and Kings 3740.00  4206.25
    Just a couple of the more brutal ones of the evening. The 1st hand was my last hand of the evening. Would somehow have got me to only £50 down on the night. Pity that I lost that one. Thinking about it now, I did pretty well to only lose £90. I was happy with how I played. Becomes expensive at the £22's when you have one of those nights when you can't win any flips. I've been so lucky over the last year or so that I haven't really experienced any downswings of note. Since the beginning of this month though poker has been really tough. Happens to everyone and not much point moaning about it. My confidence in my game is always a bit fragile and so I probably take it all harder than I should. Things will turn around and i'll start running good. Soon please.
    I got a bit lucky at cash and came of a NL30 table with around £110 and so that softened it a bit.

Just scoped this month. 99 games played at an roi of -8.2% and $290 down. For all dym games played since I began on here I'm roi of 8.9% from 8627 games. Guess it shows why we need big samples. I'd be quitting for good if this month was my standard results :) Today alone I was down $230. I'm the worst.

Lol just looked at post. I'm awesome at posting hands! I assume that you get the gist though
  • edited May 2014
    Just for a bit of balance it wasn't all bad luck last night.
    Remembered that I played like a total peasant in one hand. I was loving life as the pot grew large. I snapped off the river bet. I had a straight.  "Err, what's going on? Why are the chips sliding his way? He only has 2 pair. Stupid Sky software. Oh, wait a minute, I have 67 and the board is 459 2 J. Not sure after all if that qualifies as a straight. Nah, probably not. As you were dealer."

Long time since I've misread my hand  Foolish boy
  • edited May 2014
    Just for a bit of balance it wasn't all bad luck last night. Remembered that I played like a total peasant in one hand. I was loving life as the pot grew large. I snapped off the river bet. I had a straight.  "Err, what's going on? Why are the chips sliding his way? He only has 2 pair. Stupid Sky software. Oh, wait a minute, I have 67 and the board is 459 2 J. Not sure after all if that qualifies as a straight. Nah, probably not. As you were dealer." Long time since I've misread my hand  Foolish boy
    Posted by Jac35

Orford would say its a straight !
    Gl to the Rams at Wembley
  • edited May 2014
    Just for a bit of balance it wasn't all bad luck last night. Remembered that I played like a total peasant in one hand. I was loving life as the pot grew large. I snapped off the river bet. I had a straight.  "Err, what's going on? Why are the chips sliding his way? He only has 2 pair. Stupid Sky software. Oh, wait a minute, I have 67 and the board is 459 2 J. Not sure after all if that qualifies as a straight. Nah, probably not. As you were dealer." Long time since I've misread my hand  Foolish boy
    Posted by Jac35
    Facepalm (copyright Jac). ;)
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Facepalm (copyright Jac). ;)
    Posted by Tikay10
    Sigh

Knew I was asking for it. :)
    Slightly unexpected that it was you and not the 'beautiful game' lover.

Battle of Hastings 
  • edited May 2014
    Had a long break from poker. Well it is for me (2 days)
    Proper tilted the other night. I reckon I tilt about twice a year at the tables, so normally a sign that I need a little rest. I just rant on the forum as opposed to at the tables generally. Makes me look pretty stupid to you lot but prolly saves me a few quid.

Had a huge sleep on Wednesday night. Felt amazing yesterday. I really need to sort my sleep out. Can't blame the boy, he's sleeping through. Maybe it's from childhood when it was naughty going to bed late but I just mess around doing things that really don't need doing just to avoid going up to bed. I get up early for work as well and so it's doubly gormless finally getting into bed around 2am on a regular basis. 

Day off today. Going out for lunch after this post. Meeting up with a few friends this evening. Nice pub down by the river at Darley Abbey. Getting play off final tickets tomorrow and playing a bit of golf. May have a little bash at the sit and go promotion tonight.

Life is pretty good really. Enjoy your day everyone.
  • edited May 2014
    Turn up for the books. Won a tourney last night for around £250. 
    Been running pretty badly but in the comp I got aces and kings (a lot) Really appreciated Jdallstar railing to the end after he was knocked out. He had a couple of real coolers. One against me where it prob looked like I was squeezing from the small blind with a raise and a call in front of me. He 4bet shoved from the big blind with QQ and I looked him up, as you do, with AA.

Finally in okayish profit for the month. £270, which feels awesome after how it's been going so far.
    Got play off final tickets sorted. Half decent fans we've got. Sold out in 54 minutes. All 37,000 tickets gone now. COYR's
    Went to the range last night. Hit the ball so well. Turned up today and drive the ball like a boss. Couldn't hit the green from 100 yards. Sigh, another 0.1. Still, weather was great. My hair has gone a slightly lighter shade of grey in the sun.
    Beer gardens are amazing in the summer. But tipsy now. Bedtime

• edited May 2014
    Think I'm running bad this month :)
    You decide - Played 2 lost 2 so far tonight
    BOYDID Small blind  10.00 10.00 1930.00
    Jac35 Big blind  20.00 30.00 1890.00
      Your hole cards

POKEY2011 Raise  40.00 70.00 1840.00
    MAXALLY Fold     
    Curt360x27 Fold     
    harryew Raise  100.00 170.00 1990.00
    BOYDID Fold     
    Jac35 Call  80.00 250.00 1810.00
    POKEY2011 Call  60.00 310.00 1780.00
    Flop

Jac35 Check     
    POKEY2011 Check     
    harryew Bet  310.00 620.00 1680.00
    Jac35 Call  310.00 930.00 1500.00
    POKEY2011 All-in  1780.00 2710.00 0.00
    harryew Fold     
    Jac35 Call  1470.00 4180.00 30.00
    Jac35 Show

POKEY2011 Show

Turn

River

POKEY2011 Win Four 4s 4180.00  4180.00
    dekcol Small blind  30.00 30.00 3740.00
    Jac35 Big blind  60.00 90.00 4210.00
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • K

sprig76 Raise  240.00 330.00 3320.00
    Lucky790 Call  240.00 570.00 6575.00
    gaz0001 Fold     
    turner71 Call  240.00 810.00 3380.00
    dekcol Fold     
    Jac35 Raise  1020.00 1830.00 3190.00
    sprig76 All-in  3320.00 5150.00 0.00
    Lucky790 Fold     
    turner71 Fold     
    Jac35 Call  2480.00 7630.00 710.00
    Jac35 Show
    • K
    • K

sprig76 Show
    • A
    • A

Flop

• Q

Turn

River

sprig76 Win Two Pairs, Aces and 5s 7630.00  7630.00
    Groan! 1st one is obviously gross, Pokey  does do a lot of get theres :) 2nd is fine, just one of those spells when it's happening loads. Frustrating after chipping up early as well
     Next tourney. Lets try again

Edit
    Tried again, 3 games. No good, No good, Got seat in £55 direct sat. Unregged it with 25 secs to spare. Not really feeling it tonight. Made £4.50 on night. A wins a win :)
  • edited May 2014
    Thanks for dropping by tonight pal.Ended up taking it down from 1.5bb when 70 left.
  • edited May 2014
    Thanks for dropping by tonight pal.Ended up taking it down from 1.5bb when 70 left.
    Posted by day4eire76
    Some going that Pat

Teach me please
  • edited May 2014

Come on you Rams
  • edited May 2014
    I was thinking at work this morning about doing a purely poker post today. Tommy has got there first I guess and it was inspiring reading. i disagree with him a little that anyone can do what he does. He's being too modest. He obviously has a huge talent and also the drive and determination to continue improving that few of us have, me certainly. And he puts the hours in. I noted that he wrote about how huge Sundays are and a drink in the garden may be a nice alternative to playing poker. He still did it though. The temptation would have been too great for me to have a day off.

I'll do my post  anyway as it's from the completely different level stake and goals wise.

These days i kind of know where i am in poker. I'm a little better than average at the stakes i play and i set myself realistic targets. For this year I've just wanted to achieve the same sort of profits that I've made over the last two years which is about £8000 a year.

This is me on Sky since i begun
    SCHEDULED    505   £5.07   £7.77   53.9%   £2,562   78  
    SNG    8,328   £0.65   £7.05   9.1%   £5,390   72  

Obviously Dyms have been my main game. Pleasingly since the start of the year when i moved up to playing mostly £16.50's £22's I've continued to have decent results. From the 730 I've played at these stakes I've an roi of 14.5 at the £16.50's and 7.8 at the £22's.

What i want to do now is to start playing far more tourneys on here at a higher level. Due to playing live a lot before Harry was born I've always been reluctant to play the bigger tourneys online. I'd rather do that live. With me playing very little live these days I'm considering upping my buy in level online. I've had a few nice wins live over the last couple of years and the boost they give to the bankroll are fantastic.
    I know i have plenty of leaks in my tourney game but feel that i might have the odd result in me somewhere. A lot of players I've noticed have been having coaching recently and it's probably something i should consider.
    Tourneys are fun and as Dohhhh wrote earlier, the chance for a big result is always there. Over half my profit last year was from the SPT win and there's no better feeling than a tourney win.

Dyms have been great for me on here but i can no longer put in the volume. When i was doing the PS4 promo in January i played 583 Dyms. Since then I've played only another 396 in nearly 4 months. Dyms are all about volume and i don't think i can make the money i want to solely playing them these days.

I've kind of got away with it since January. Last month i had the skill and go final which made me £700 and a couple of other bits and bobs have kept me going in the right direction.

I'm pretty much bang on schedule for this year and I'm considering having a decent break for the first time in years. I enjoy playing poker but the main thing for me is the money. I want to win so that i can do the things i want to. Summer is just about here and with the World Cup and a family holiday in June, now seems a good time to have a break. I may have mentioned before that i like golf and the weather is perfect right now. It seems silly for me to be playing to earn money to do the things i want to do and not do them. 

So that was pretty long! Basically i see poker as a nice part time job at the moment which in addition to the pittance i earn at work gives me a reasonable chance to look after my family. Just need to keep going i guess.
  • edited May 2014
    Another couple of things while I'm here.

When I do get the odd chance to play live I think I'm going to play some bigger events than I usually would. Will look to play sats. Going to do my best to play the £250 mini at DTD in August.

Also I want to join a team on here again. I really enjoyed it before and I love it when there's people on the table I know when I'm playing. Really enjoy the banter.
  • edited May 2014
    Very nice read Jackson.

Surprised you don't flick in for most of the mains here on Sky. For every Tommy, Melt, Bates, Divs and Scotty, there are tons more inexperienced, or just plain bad, players also kicking about. Certainly money to be made if you can handle (financially and emotionally!) the dreaded variance that comes with MTT's.

Might see you in Notts, hoping to secure that week off work to play the £250 and try and also bink a seat into the ME*

*meh, who am I kidding, Hooters for a week of chicken wings it is.
  • edited May 2014
    Hi Jac, 

I have no doubt that if you put in the volume you will reach your profit targets for the year. Your MTT game is very good, and the results you have from the 500 odd games you played last year show it.

If you played 300-500 MTTs a month instead of your 700 DYMs or whatever, I think you'd be making alot more than your £8k TBH. If I were you, I'd ditch the DYM's completely!

coaching is definately worth while if you take the game seriously, but can be a big investment. PM me if you want me to put you in touch with someone.

I'll definately be playing the £250 in august - will see you there!

• edited May 2014
    Mnaged a catch-up with your diary this p,m,  (SOO many diaries & not enough time!- sigh) Anyhoo, seems like life is treating you well & poker is on the up.  GL & maybe see u at the mtt tables.
  • edited May 2014
    Very nice read Jackson. Surprised you don't flick in for most of the mains here on Sky. For every Tommy, Melt, Bates, Divs and Scotty, there are tons more inexperienced, or just plain bad, players also kicking about. Certainly money to be made if you can handle (financially and emotionally!) the dreaded variance that comes with MTT's. Might see you in Notts, hoping to secure that week off work to play the £250 and try and also bink a seat into the ME* *meh, who am I kidding, Hooters for a week of chicken wings it is.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Jackson?

You young upstart
  • edited May 2014
    Hi Jac,  I have no doubt that if you put in the volume you will reach your profit targets for the year. Your MTT game is very good, and the results you have from the 500 odd games you played last year show it. If you played 300-500 MTTs a month instead of your 700 DYMs or whatever, I think you'd be making alot more than your £8k TBH. If I were you, I'd ditch the DYM's completely! coaching is definately worth while if you take the game seriously, but can be a big investment. PM me if you want me to put you in touch with someone. I'll definately be playing the £250 in august - will see you there!
    Posted by chicknMelt
    Cheers Andy, appreciate your comments. 
    Interesting what you say about the Dyms. I've had pretty much the same conversation recently with a poker mate. Tricky one though. They're kind of a comfort blanket. Arrogant I know but I feel very confident that I will always win long term at them. Tourneys are obviously different and the long term can be very long.

In fairness my sample size is very small for tourneys on here. Although I did grind the 90 and 180 man tourneys on Full Tilt a while ago with good results.

Will sleep on it. It's nudging towards towards concentrating on tourneys at the moment though.
  • edited May 2014
    Well Jac, I for one definately think you should never ever ever play another DYM paticularily at the £11 and £22 levels and I'm sure all the other regs will be delighted to agree with me.

On a more serious note I'll have fingers and toes crossed for a Derby win tomorrow, lets just hope it doesnt rain and Mclaren gets his brolly out.
  • edited May 2014
    Lol Eamonn

You are very good at making sets. Against me at least!
    Still a bit unsure about it all. Tourneys or Dyms.

Weather forecast for tomorrow is shocking. It will definitely be worrying Steve. Think the ringmaster might go with a top hat to protect his hair-do. Doubt the brolly will make an appearance.