You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ramblings of an old man

Comments

• edited June 2014
    Not much to talk about really. Doesn't normally stop me though.

I've not quite had the break from poker I was talking about but have hardly played this month. A whole 234 reward points so far. I have pretty much ditched the Dyms for now. Played a couple of tourneys and had a couple of results. Done ok at cash.
    The pretend spt seat seems a long way away. I've had a few goes so far and just keep missing out. Should just buy in directly, surely cheaper.

Holibobs next week, Skydive booked. Scared.

Looking forward to the Workd Cup.
    Hart, Johnson, Jagikelka, Cahill, Baines
    Sterling, Barkley, Gerard, Ox
    Sturrtidge, Rooney
    Would do for me.

Been reading about Che Guevara and Castro recently. Should already know more than I do about them. But I don't, thought provoking reading for me. Not quite sure where I stand.

Proven cheats can't be named. Bizarre.

Golf handicap in danger of losing single figure status again tomorrow.

Played a couple of sats earlier. Got 2nd for £44 in one. Used money for beer. Bit drunk.
  • edited June 2014
    Played a few sats and the main and mini tonight.
    Finished 10th in the mini for a small profit on the night. Was a bit embarrassed with how I played for the last hour. I know you're not supposed to say this but.. I wanted to cash after playing for 4 hours. Doubled up once around the bubble when Haysie snapped on the button v me. I had QQ and he had 10 3 so I was waiting for the pain but luckily escaped. I missed plenty of spots and crept into the money with around 4bigs. 
    Doubled up again and just kept nudging upwards and then had a standard blind v blind hand when short stacked. Was up against Chrisdboy and so it wasn't really a fair fight :)

That's me done now for the next 10 days or so. Go on holiday on Saturday. I'm quite pleased that I'm forced into a break actually as I just seem to be going through the motions and not really enjoying it. Definitely need a live game to get me going again. A real shame for me that the Blackpool thing is this Saturday. Would have loved to go up there and see a few people again.

2 more days at work can't go quickly enough. In my head I'm in holiday mode already and works really dragging.

Oh yeah.
    First time for a while tonight that someone's followed me around after being knocked out. Seemed pretty standard to me but apparently I'm a lucky, lucky donkfish :)
    He got his reads right on me a little bit quicker than most people!

• edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man:
    Not much to talk about really. Doesn't normally stop me though. I've not quite had the break from poker I was talking about but have hardly played this month. A whole 234 reward points so far. I have pretty much ditched the Dyms for now. Played a couple of tourneys and had a couple of results. Done ok at cash. The pretend spt seat seems a long way away. I've had a few goes so far and just keep missing out. Should just buy in directly, surely cheaper. Holibobs next week, Skydive booked. Scared. Looking forward to the Workd Cup. Hart, Johnson, Jagikelka, Cahill, Baines Sterling, Henderson, Gerard, Ox Sturrtidge, Rooney Would do for me. Been reading about Che Guevara and Castro recently. Should already know more than I do about them. But I don't, thought provoking reading for me. Not quite sure where I stand. Proven cheats can't be named. Bizarre. Golf handicap in danger of losing single figure status again tomorrow. Played a couple of sats earlier. Got 2nd for £44 in one. Used money for beer. Bit drunk.
    Posted by Jac35
    Think your England team is close to spot on :) Hopefully Ox is fit for the second game.

Enjoy the skydiving ;)
  • edited June 2014
    Have a great holiday donkfish, hope you come back fully refreshed and ready to crush.
  • edited June 2014
    Have a great holiday pal.
  • edited June 2014
    I'm staying in tonight looking after the boy as Penny isn't well this evening unfortunately.
    So I thought I'd do a mid holiday post.

I did my Skydive today. Exhilarating. It was at Honiton about 40 miles from where we're staying. An incredible experience. The jump was from 15000 feet which is the highest that you can go without oxygen. Freefall for 60 seconds and then about a further  4 minutes to reach the ground. The feeling in those seconds before you leave the plane is pretty hard to describe. Perched on the edge waiting to jump, Wow!

I'm still here and so it was a pretty good day all in all.

We've had a great week so far. We happened upon a fabulous place to stay in a quiet location overlooking the sea. Apparently Charles Darwin stayed here during his convalescence shortly after finishing the Origin of Species.

We've been very lucky with the weather and had a lovely time so far. A few more things planned to do before leaving on Saturday.

I've managed to watch a bit of the World Cup in the evenings and it's been terrific so far. None of the usual cagey group games that we've become accustomed to seeing. Huge game tomorrow. I've managed to get incredibly wound up seeing some of England's World Cup losses before but felt quite different after the Italy game. It was great to see an England team attack the opposition and I think whilst this tournament may have come a little early for some of the squad, there's reason for optimism.

One last thing. Just for Churchy and Belsibub this one. I seem to do better at poker when I'm not playing!
    Just found £66 has been added to my account :)

• edited June 2014
    Had a bash at cash tonight. First time in a while I've played it properly. 4 tabled 50nl and soon came to the conclusion that I'm still absurdly bad at it online (stop peeling with shitt ffs Paul)
    I did my usual and was quickly down 4 buy ins. A couple of scummy ones where I think it's just gotta go in. Had AK spades on one of them and flopped Q 10 rag, 2 spades. He had 10's and hit quads on the turn. Obv made the the flush on the river for rubs. Other one I remember was where I got in with the flush draw again and came up against a set again. No flush this time :(
    Other 2 I think I just donked off stupidly.

Had an annoying spell where I flopped the world and no one wanted to play. An irritating one where I had JJ in small blind and flopped the set on an ace high board 4 to the flop. Led out and they couldn't fold quickly enough. How the hell did none of them have an ace? :)

A pretty big pot v TommyD where I got there on the river when I shouldn't really have still been in the pot. He led big and folded to my shove. About £150 pot. Wish I could say I'd outplayed him :) but in truth as the saying goes, even a blind squirrel finds a nut every so often.

Won a few more pots and ended up £1.13 up on the evening plus a few quid in Rakeback. So, well worth all the stress :)

Did have one fun hand when a guy who was playing in an interesting fashion raised to £17.63 preflop utg. I had QQ and obv just shoved. He snapped with 88 and nothing untoward happened. 

Cash isn't for me online.

By far the funniest spoof commentary I've ever heard. I could just listen to it over and over again.
    Cahills goal v Holland
  • edited June 2014
    Had a bash at cash tonight. First time in a while I've played it properly. 4 tabled 50nl and soon came to the conclusion that I'm still absurdly bad at it online (stop peeling with shitt ffs Paul) I did my usual and was quickly down 4 buy ins. A couple of scummy ones where I think it's just gotta go in. Had AK spades on one of them and flopped Q 10 rag, 2 spades. He had 10's and hit quads on the turn. Obv made the the flush on the river for rubs. Other one I remember was where I got in with the flush draw again and came up against a set again. No flush this time :( Other 2 I think I just donked off stupidly. Had an annoying spell where I flopped the world and no one wanted to play. An irritating one where I had JJ in small blind and flopped the set on an ace high board 4 to the flop. Led out and they couldn't fold quickly enough. How the hell did none of them have an ace? :) A pretty big pot v TommyD where I got there on the river when I shouldn't really have still been in the pot. He led big and folded to my shove. About £150 pot. Wish I could say I'd outplayed him :) but in truth as the saying goes, even a blind squirrel finds a nut every so often. Won a few more pots and ended up £1.13 up on the evening plus a few quid in Rakeback. So, well worth all the stress :) Did have one fun hand when a guy who was playing in an interesting fashion raised to £17.63 preflop utg. I had QQ and obv just shoved. He snapped with 88 and nothing untoward happened.  Cash isn't for me online. ..... http://youtu.be/ygc3IfN-gjA By far the funniest spoof commentary I've ever heard. I could just listen to it over and over again. Cahills goal v Holland
    Posted by Jac35

Awww...heehee!

• edited June 2014
    Hi Paul,
    WoW, jumping from 15,000 feet ...must have been a buzz.
    not for me though as i am scared of heights, ha ha.
    was it for fun or charity, i'm sorry not read all your posts, as i've only just come back to sky to do my latest dym challenge.
    see you been TRYING to play some cash,  ha ha
    anyway mate, gotta go, best wishes,
    dev
  • edited June 2014
    Want to play poker

Wife goes to her Mums
    Off work, nothing planned for the afternoon
    Baby asleep.

Ignore the fact that I'm rubbish at cash and load up a few tables.
    All looking good then. Play 20 mins, playing ok, getting cards, winning a few quid, about £50

Baby wakes up, wants feeding, grr

Options
    Put him in the car where I can't hear him and carry on
    Stop playing and feed the boy

Wrestle with conscience and decide that the latter is probably the correct course of action :)

DTD looking like a good shout for either tonight or tomorrow. Missing playing live loads. Also if I drive to DTD rather than play at Derby, then I'll be saved having to delete all the drunken posts that I normally make on my visits to the local Genting.
  • edited June 2014
    very much enjoyed reading your ramblings team mate
  • edited June 2014
    Want to play poker Wife goes to her Mums Off work, nothing planned for the afternoon Baby asleep. Ignore the fact that I'm rubbish at cash and load up a few tables. All looking good then. Play 20 mins, playing ok, getting cards, winning a few quid, about £50 Baby wakes up, wants feeding, grr Options Put him in the car where I can't hear him and carry on Stop playing and feed the boy Wrestle with conscience and decide that the latter is probably the correct course of action :) .... DTD looking like a good shout for either tonight or tomorrow. Missing playing live loads. Also if I drive to DTD rather than play at Derby, then I'll be saved having to delete all the drunken posts that I normally make on my visits to the local Genting.
    Posted by Jac35
    Despite the above you still find reason to moan, you really are a grumpy old man.

Enjoy the live play Donkfish. :)
  • edited June 2014
    very much enjoyed reading your ramblings team mate
    Posted by TENTENTEN
    Thankyou very much
  • edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Despite the above you still find reason to moan, you really are a grumpy old man. Enjoy the live play Donkfish. :)
    Posted by cpfc_2010
    Fair point

I envy you.
    You still manage your cheery disposition, despite being a Palace fan.
    Well batted sir

Quick edit 

Before you start on which division you're playing in. My season ticket is at the back of the stand. If I supported your team, I'd never see the game! ;)
  • edited June 2014

Proper random stuff

Went to a bbq today with the group of people we met when Penny made me pay for a course in how to look after babies. "How will we know what to do if we don't go to NCT classes Paul?"
    "Well darling, people seem to have managed just fine for a fair few centuries now but if you really want to we'll do it"

The couple who hosted the bbq lived in a wonderful place out in the sticks. Kirk Ireton. Fell in love with the place. Probably in reality it wouldn't be for me but it certainly ticked some boxes. Pub being the main one
    Got home late and was knackered, so the DTD idea will have to wait another week.
    Got a mouth ulcer right now. Had it for 2 weeks, never had one before. Not impressed. I know it's an ulcer but being a total hypochondriac I'm convincing myself it's something more sinister.
    Poker. Not played much, won a few quid over the month. Feel I'm due a mtt score.
    Went with my Aunt to buy a new car yesterday. She always seems to get ripped off so I thought I'd try and help. Salesman was a lad I went to school with. Super smooth. Before I can get a word in,
     when they come back with a price to change, she says 'I can afford that. You better gives some mats and fuel as well"
    Sigh, any point me going with her?
    I think the forums changed a lot over the time I've been on here. A few really good people have drifted away which is a shame. It's the nature of forums I guess.
    Back to work on Monday after a couple of weeks off. Feel sad. Not fond of work these days. Now I'm deadending it theres very little motivation there for me.
    I'm mediocre at FIFA.
    Started on '24' on Netflix. I've never watched it before. May take a while to get through. Enjoyed the first few episodes.
    The Mighty Rams have a new sponsor 'Just Eat'. Yeah, that'll look really good on all the 40 year old lardarses who like buying football kits.
    My Uncles neighbour had a baby boy just before the end of last season. She named him 'Bryson'. It looks as though we may be selling him now unfortunately. Think she should a put a letter of complaint into the club.

• edited June 2014
    Darn it!

Being soft I went to the dentists earlier to put my mind at rest.
    The ulcer isn't an ulcer. He wanted to do an xray straight away and saw me noticeably gulp. He quickly let me know that it wasn't what I was thinking but an abscess. That's the good news. The bad news is that it requires root canal and a couple of crowns and they don't come cheap. All in all it's going to cost me about £700. Pleasingly there's no pain right now and he's given me some antibiotics. Worked out that with this I'll have paid out about £2000 in the last 18 months at the dentist.

So this all means that my volume is going to have to be increased earlier than I planned. I always slow right down in the summer and pick it up again in the Autumn. 

Expenses have been pretty big recently. Holiday, football ticket, skydives etc

I've been a little disparaging about setting challenges in the past and so will look a total hypocrite now but...
    I think I might set myself a Dym game target for July and update on here to make myself do it. Nothing dramatic. I'm thinking 600 games for July at stakes from £11 up to £33. It doesn't sound much but bearing in mind I've only got 926 points this month, it would be quite a upturn in volume. I think if I get off to a decent start that I may also push for priority as well.

Hopefully with enough volume I should make a few quid. Last time I pushed myself Dym wise was January with the PS4 promotion and I was chuffed with the results. I played 583 games and made £1114 at an ROI of 10.1. I'd take that again very happily.

• edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man: Good luck.  wow, I know how painful a tooth abscess can be.  Hope it gets sorted soon
    Darn it! Being soft I went to the dentists earlier to put my mind at rest. The ulcer isn't an ulcer. He wanted to do an xray straight away and saw me noticeably gulp. He quickly let me know that it wasn't what I was thinking but an abscess. That's the good news. The bad news is that it requires root canal and a couple of crowns and they don't come cheap. All in all it's going to cost me about £700. Pleasingly there's no pain right now and he's given me some antibiotics. Worked out that with this I'll have paid out about £2000 in the last 18 months at the dentist. So this all means that my volume is going to have to be increased earlier than I planned. I always slow right down in the summer and pick it up again in the Autumn.  Expenses have been pretty big recently. Holiday, football ticket, skydives etc I've been a little disparaging about setting challenges in the past and so will look a total hypocrite now but... I think I might set myself a Dym game target for July and update on here to make myself do it. Nothing dramatic. I'm thinking 600 games for July at stakes from £11 up to £33. It doesn't sound much but bearing in mind I've only got 926 points this month, it would be quite a upturn in volume. I think if I get off to a decent start that I may also push for priority as well. Hopefully with enough volume I should make a few quid. Last time I pushed myself Dym wise was January with the PS4 promotion and I was chuffed with the results. I played 583 games and made £1114 at an ROI of 10.1. I'd take that again very happily.
    Posted by Jac35
  • edited June 2014

Where abouts is the abscess Jac?

If you thought it was an ulcer it must be inside the cheek or on the gum line, or even around the tongue?

I thought abscesses were really close to the teeth?

Detest dentists, would you pay double right now to avoid the whole thing and just have instantly healthy teeth again? I'd probably pay 4x the cost to avoid it. ughhhh, biggest fear by miles.

• edited June 2014
    Horrible Jac :(
    BUT.....
    I'm going to absolutely LOVE watching you smash a challenge! :D GL!!
  • edited June 2014
    Not good news Jac but I'm sure you will win the £700 and more with the DYM's. May I advise you to avoid the £11 DYMs though because I am trying to beat them again and could do without the likes of you on my tables.........if not then at least I know you will be making good use of my money!
  • edited June 2014
    Good luck with DYM's mate. We share a mutual loathing of the dentist. I look forward to an altogether more positive Jac35 after a month or two of DYM crushing.
  • edited June 2014
    Darn it! Being soft I went to the dentists earlier to put my mind at rest. The ulcer isn't an ulcer. He wanted to do an xray straight away and saw me noticeably gulp. He quickly let me know that it wasn't what I was thinking but an abscess. That's the good news. The bad news is that it requires root canal and a couple of crowns and they don't come cheap. All in all it's going to cost me about £700. Pleasingly there's no pain right now and he's given me some antibiotics. Worked out that with this I'll have paid out about £2000 in the last 18 months at the dentist. So this all means that my volume is going to have to be increased earlier than I planned. I always slow right down in the summer and pick it up again in the Autumn.  Expenses have been pretty big recently. Holiday, football ticket, skydives etc I've been a little disparaging about setting challenges in the past and so will look a total hypocrite now but... I think I might set myself a Dym game target for July and update on here to make myself do it. Nothing dramatic. I'm thinking 600 games for July at stakes from £11 up to £33. It doesn't sound much but bearing in mind I've only got 926 points this month, it would be quite a upturn in volume. I think if I get off to a decent start that I may also push for priority as well. Hopefully with enough volume I should make a few quid. Last time I pushed myself Dym wise was January with the PS4 promotion and I was chuffed with the results. I played 583 games and made £1114 at an ROI of 10.1. I'd take that again very happily.
    Posted by Jac35
    You've changed.
  • edited June 2014

I have always thought playing DYM's day in day out was like pulling teeth anyway......but each to their own.

You should be used to pain though.....being a Derby supporter...

Double smiley....just in case!

☺☺
  • edited June 2014
    Tsarina - Ty for good wishes. Yeah, it's not much fun

Dohhhh - Yep, be quite happy to 4x it

Mrs Duck - Ty

Waller - Hopefully I can do it. Just had a look at the people playing £11 Dyms tonight. Adding you to that list as well and they look tougher than ususal, sigh.

Cpfc  - Cheers mate. You can stay away from the Dyms as well :)

hhyftftdr - Thanks for your support

Maxally  - Knobhead! smiley in case
  • edited June 2014
    Tsarina - Ty for good wishes. Yeah, it's not much fun Dohhhh - Yep, be quite happy to 4x it Mrs Duck - Ty Waller - Hopefully I can do it. Just had a look at the people playing £11 Dyms tonight. Adding you to that list as well and they look tougher than ususal, sigh. Cpfc  - Cheers mate. You can stay away from the Dyms as well :) hhyftftdr - Thanks for your support Maxally  - Knobhead! smiley in case ☺
    Posted by Jac35
    Yeah the 11's are tough atm but nothing you can't handle. Pingu seems to be grinding them, few new regs since I last played them in January. You will still smash them, just makes my life harder. You can't really table select either because its nearly always the same players........just gotta jump in and pray!

You starting tomorrow then? I'm thinking of devoting the vast majority of my playing time on them next month. If things start getting too tough (which I imagine they might) then I will leave you and the regs to it!!
  • edited July 2014
    And we're off!

I've decided to use Junes winnings as my bankroll and so it will be pretty aggressive bankroll management :)
    Starting off with £370 (can replenish, don't want to)

Jacs Dental Plan Day 1

Ugly start. First few games had KK beaten twice by Ace rag and QQ done by 10 J.
    Folded trip 7's in one game to 2 all ins on the river. Both had top pair! :( went out next hand.

Played a couple of cash tables alongside the Dyms which was silly. Won a buy in off Donttelmum which must be a first :) Fortunately made a bit at that, £24

Dyms - Pretty dull stuff Played 8 won 4 lost 4 (rake wins)

Balance  £392
  • edited July 2014
    A bit surprising the Dyms tonight. It might be tough to get the volume in that I wanted. I played golf this evening and sat down to play at 10.30. Regged 8 games and it took until 10.55 to get one filled up. Only managed to get those 8 games in by midnight. Things appear to be a bit slower than I thought.

Managed to come out ahead by a little and so all in all a decent enough start.

262 reward points from the day.

Balance £429
  • edited July 2014
    Spend it wisely :)

GL buddy!
  • edited July 2014

Jacs Dental Plan Day 2

A good day!

I had a plan this morning to play a lot of Dyms tonight and the main and mini as well. I was absolutely shattered and fell asleep, as old people tend to do, (Tikay could probably confirm) and woke up just in time to late reg the two mtts.
    Loaded up 4 Dyms as well and away we went.

I again stood still in the Dyms and won 2 lost 2. Not really playing them very well at present.

I decided to just concentrate on the mtts after min 3betting to 900 from Jordz open to 600! I'm pretty bad at poker but that was a misclick, honest!

I ran pretty well in both. Got annoyed with myself after tilt shoving in the mini after losing a big hand in the main and getting lucky. Rare that I do that but got away with it this time.

Grinded a short stack in both for about an hour but then got some hands and made the final table quite comfortably in the main. It was then down to the mini as obviously thoughts of the jackpot entered my head. I lost a standard hand against TommyD when he shoved 10bigs and I had 10's in the sb which left me with about 14 bigs. We got down to 8 and it was a bit of a struggle. The bb to my sb had done well, had a monster stack and wasn't frightened to call and so it was difficult to find spots. Eventually I shoved K 10 from the small for about 8 bigs and they snapped with J5 and it wasn't to be.

Really nice to run deep though. I don't play many mtts and have been grumbling a bit recently about running badly in them. No sample size at all to be honest but as you know, I do like a moan.

Some nice comments from the rail wishing me luck. Thanks to Arazi, Chrisdboy, Cpfc and a few others for that.

Ended up losing a flip in the main for 4th and £483.12 and 8th in the mini for £74.80. Huge congrats to Heddoh for the win. Played fantastically well on the final table and beat me up every time we tangled.
    So, it appears the root canal might be paid for. Yippee for that. Just love root canal. Maybe one crown as well. As I'm super lazy, I'm abandoning my challenge after a whole 2 days at it. Hopefully with a few bits and bobs I can pay for the anaesthetic as well by the end of the month :)

Balance £937.17

(Not bolded to brag this post. Just pressed something and it all went big and bold. Got rid of the big, couldn't get rid of the bold. Good with computers me)

• edited July 2014

I will confirm no such thing. 

PS - Great start to your latest Bankroll Thingie. I've started one too, & have so far managed to lose £30 in 2 nights. But I don't do misclicks, if you get my drift....