You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ramblings of an old man

Comments

• edited July 2014
    HI Jac
    Still reading your ramblings, one of the first places I look when I am on here.

Seen the previews of "Seve", doesn't make me want to rush out and see it, like Senna or Rush did.
    Think I would rather remember the real Seve, rather than a story about him. For now anyway.

I remember the day Senna crashed. I went to play golf afterwards. Halfway round, I heard (unofficially) he had died. My game immediately went to pieces, my playing partner wasn't too impressed, but it didn't matter.   A legend was dead.  A sad day.

And thinking about that day has made me as miserable as you.

Keep up the good work.
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man:
    My Pearce story sums him up as a manager. I remember Danny Mills, not a huge fan of Pearce, speaking on Fighting Talk about man-management. He recalled when with a couple of minutes to go, needing a win against Middlesborough, he sent on David James on up front! Might be wrong but I think he said that he had John Macken (a striker) on the bench at the time. I imagine that Macken thought his time at City might be up when that happened! Unfortunately, he then came to Derby but that's another story. He was a fabulous left back. Far better in my opinion than Cole. Defensively just as good and far better going forward. Everybody used to rave about Coles attacking ability. I struggle to remember many goals or brilliant crosses that he put in. Pearce on the other hand marauded forward every week doing just that.
    Posted by Jac35
    Yep, all true. We needed a goal against the smoggies. Time was running out, so instead of sending on Macken, a striker (albeit limited), he sent on James instead to try and cause havoc with his 6''5 frame. Alas it didn't work, though Fowler missing a penalty with the last kick of the game (and Euro qualification at stake) didn't help.

Typical City!
  • edited July 2014
    HI Jac Still reading your ramblings, one of the first places I look when I am on here. Seen the previews of "Seve", doesn't make me want to rush out and see it, like Senna or Rush did. Think I would rather remember the real Seve, rather than a story about him. For now anyway. I remember the day Senna crashed. I went to play golf afterwards. Halfway round, I heard (unofficially) he had died. My game immediately went to pieces, my playing partner wasn't too impressed, but it didn't matter.   A legend was dead.  A sad day. And thinking about that day has made me as miserable as you. Keep up the good work.
    Posted by dragon1964
    Er cheers, I think :)
  • edited July 2014
    Cashed in a pot limit low thing /  plus normal poker last night, think that's what it's called. Blind luck but kinda fun trying to work out if I have a hand.
    I won't let on that I have to look at the screen in the middle a lot as it tells you what hand you have.
  • edited July 2014
    Cashed in a pot limit low thing /  plus normal poker last night, think that's what it's called. Blind luck but kinda fun trying to work out if I have a hand. I won't let on that I have to look at the screen in the middle a lot as it tells you what hand you have.
    Posted by Jac35
    Hope you visit us again soon on the PLO8 DYM Tables, was great fun, though I could not chat much as I had 6 or 7 Tables on the go.

Tell your loyal readers how much fun those things are. Go on, tell them.

• edited July 2014

"Wolf on Wall Street", which you mentioned.

I watch, at the very maximum, one film per year, always on the flight to or from Las Vegas, to help while away the hours.

This year, to my regret, I watched "Wolf on Wall Street". Ugh. It should have had a "Children only" certificate.  

DeCaprio was good, I'll give you that, but overall, I thought it was a thoroughly dreadful film. For sure, the Director will never become famous, or make anything good.

However, by chance, I'd purchased the book @ Gatwick amongst a batch of 4 for my holiday reading. They were, with my "ratings".......

Wolf on Wall Street. 7/10.

Alex Ferguson Bio. 3/10

Bryson's splendid "One Summer in 1927" 9.5/10 

"Flash Boys" which was about rapid electronic trading. 4/10. 

I really enjoyed most of the "Wolf" Book, certainly the first 80% of it, though I found his excessive drug habits more than distasteful.

The subject of the book & film is a real-life person, amazingly, one Jordan Belfort.

Built a huge company fraudelently, made himself hundreds of millions of dollars, married a trophy wife, & lived like a king. Went to Prison for Securities violations. Now makes a good living ($30,000 per time) as a motivational speaker. (!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Belfort

He has a "Restitution Order" on him to repay $110 million, & so far he has paid $11 million of that. He was paid $1 million to give his consent to the Film rights.

Quite an interesting story, really.
  • edited July 2014
    "Wolf on Wall Street", which you mentioned. I watch, at the very maximum, one film per year, always on the flight to or from Las Vegas, to help while away the hours.   This year, to my regret, I watched "Wolf on Wall Street". Ugh. It should have had a "Children only" certificate.   DeCaprio was good, I'll give you that, but overall, I thought it was a thoroughly dreadful film. For sure, the Director will never become famous, or make anything good. However, by chance, I'd purchased the book @ Gatwick amongst a batch of 4 for my holiday reading. They were, with my "ratings"....... Wolf on Wall Street. 7/10. Alex Ferguson Bio. 3/10 Bryson's splendid "One Summer in 1927" 9.5/10  "Flash Boys" which was about rapid electronic trading. 4/10.  I really enjoyed most of the "Wolf" Book, certainly the first 80% of it, though I found his excessive drug habits more than distasteful.   The subject of the book & film is a real-life person, amazingly, one Jordan Belfort.   Built a huge company fraudelently, made himself hundreds of millions of dollars, married a trophy wife, & lived like a king. Went to Prison for Securities violations. Now makes a good living ($30,000 per time) as a motivational speaker. (!) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Belfort He has a "Restitution Order" on him to repay $110 million, & so far he has paid $11 million of that. He was paid $1 million to give his consent to the Film rights. Quite an interesting story, really.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Have to disagree with you on the film  I thought it was hugely entertaining. 
    As a fun film it's great.  As a true story it's quite sad.  I also did some research into the real Belfort after watching it. I can live with the high flyers getting ripped off. The poor guys putting their live savings into the stocks is a different matter. 

Still buying proper books? I've finally succombed and started putting them on my ipad. They take up too much space. Also with luggage limits on holidays it was difficult. 
    I guess not a problem for the rich. I don't suppose that you have luggage limits when you're flying first clas?
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Have to disagree with you on the film  I thought it was hugely entertaining.  As a fun film it's great.  As a true story it's quite sad.  I also did some research into the real Belfort after watching it. I can live with the high flyers getting ripped off. The poor guys putting their live savings into the stocks is a different matter.  Still buying proper books? I've finally succombed and started putting them on my ipad. They take up too much space. Also with luggage limits on holidays it was difficult.  I guess not a problem for the rich. I don't suppose that you have luggage limits when you're flying first clas?
    Posted by Jac35
    In some ways, yeah, very sad, A man with, literally, unlimited money & the worst drug habit I've ever read about.

When I saw the film, I never realised it was a "true story", or at least an embellished version of one.

Here is the man, interviewed in the last few days actually.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r3mqOgTl9M

I agree, its sad to see folks getting ripped off, but to a degree, it is greed on both sides which is responsible. If something looks too good to be true, it usually is.

A pal of mine got grimmed by an investment scam, which offered a guaranteed return of 15% when interest rates were 5%. I mean, that's just not possible, & he's a bright lad, but he fell for it. Greed is a powerful thing, & both sides of the deal hold some responsibility. 

Real books v Kindly things?

I can see the attraction, but books are the love of my life, perhaps my most important material possessions, & I simply love the feel, look & touch of real books. I must have thousands of them now, & I've never thrown one away, ever. 99% of them are non-fiction, of course. I really ought to think about what will happen to them when I, you know, move on. I do want them to go to a good home. Books need to be caressed, handled with love. Never "dog-ear" the pages, (I always use a quality bookmark, of which I have hundreds), write on them, leave them laying around. My dream is to re-read every one of them, though I can't see that happening.  

Every time I go to Vegas, I buy around 6 books at the airport bookshop, & I read every one before I return home. Only got 4 this year, as I could not find much non-fiction @ Gatwick. Think I'll pop up to Foyles this weekend & get my next batch.

Baggage limits, & first class tickets? I generally go Premium Economy on Virgin, which is perfect for me, no desire to go Business or First Class. Think I get an allowance of 2 cases, & 40 kilos, but I only take 1 case & about 22 kilos. I get the books at the airport, so they are cabin baggage.

• edited July 2014
    Talking of films I've become a huge DiCaprio fan over the last few years and I didn't think I'd ever say that.
    Posted by Jac35
    I'd echo that (although also loved Inception). Not something I'd have thought would be the case from the early 'Titanic' years when his photos adorned my sister's bedroom wall.

I thought WOWS was a fantastic film, but then I accept I am of simple mind when it comes to the movies.  Looking forward to watching the 4-hour extended cut in due course and may have to pick a copy of the book up as well. It was a nice touch to get Jordan Belfort in at the end to introduce 'himself' as a motivational speaker!

Flash Boys was next on my book wish list but makes me a little less keen seeing such a low review.
  • edited July 2014

Thought WOWS was really good personally.

DiCaprio is in some cracking films. (WOWS, Inception, Shutter Island, Gangs of New York, Catch me if you can etc.)

• edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Hope you visit us again soon on the PLO8 DYM Tables, was great fun, though I could not chat much as I had 6 or 7 Tables on the go. Tell your loyal readers how much fun those things are. Go on, tell them.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Ok Ok.
    Actually you don't need to twist my arm too hard for me to say that I enjoyed the game last night.

I think poker can get a bit stale for everybody from time to time. We think we'll have a rest from Dyms and play a bit of cash instead. That doesn't work out and so we try a few mtts. 
    Why not try playing a few games of PLO8 instead? There are games for every bankroll. They play at a gentle pace, you do get your money's worth. From my experience so far the players are a friendly bunch. No doubt I've got it in bad a fair few times already but there hasn't been any chuntering.
    If like me you're not exactly sure of your hand, there's the information in the centre of the screen that tells you exactly what you're holding.

Another way of looking at it is, you never know, it may come naturally to you and you're very good. The standard can't be very high at the game generally and so you might be a big winner. I can even back that bit up. Even Tikay has managed to cash at the wsop at the game in recent years. I mean come on, how easy must it be?

In all seriousness. I did enjoy playing and I'm going to try and get to know it a bit better over the next few weeks. It's quite exciting actually, finding a new game to learn and have fun with.
    Well worth a try.
  • edited July 2014
    Thought WOWS was really good personally. DiCaprio is in some cracking films. (WOWS, Inception, Shutter Island, Gangs of New York, Catch me if you can etc.)
    Posted by 77Chris91
    Hi Chris

Thoughts on McCormack leaving? New owner? Paddy Kenny?
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Hi Chris Thoughts on McCormack leaving? New owner? Paddy Kenny?
    Posted by Jac35
    Where do I start!

Think McCormack sale is a cracking deal for us. 11 million for a 28 year old who has had 1 outstanding season. I heard from a few people in the know that a few prem clubs were interested but though he was worth 5 mil max hence the move to Fulham. Not sure how much of that is going to be re-invested in the squad considering our financial situation.

Cellino has recently been quoted saying 'Kenny came back first day of training as fat as a pig'! We have signed 2 goalkeepers this week so he has no future with us it seems.

Think this Cellino is quite the character tbh! Bit eccentric but seems to have a decent grasp on how to run a football club.
    Expecting a difficult season unfortunately though :(

How are the rams shaping up this season? High hopes? I saw that a few of your decent performers from last season signed new deals recently.
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : I'd echo that (although also loved Inception). Not something I'd have thought would be the case from the early 'Titanic' years when his photos adorned my sister's bedroom wall. I thought WOWS was a fantastic film, but then I accept I am of simple mind when it comes to the movies.  Looking forward to watching the 4-hour extended cut in due course and may have to pick a copy of the book up as well. It was a nice touch to get Jordan Belfort in at the end to introduce 'himself' as a motivational speaker! Flash Boys was next on my book wish list but makes me a little less keen seeing such a low review.
    Posted by shakinaces
    It promised so much, & began very excitingly, chronicling the construction of a super-high speed "internet highway" to enable faster data transmission. This would give Brokers who paid $12 million per year in rent to get access to data milliseconds quicker than Joe Public, so the Brokers could "front-run" the market. 

Sadly, the author had an agenda, albeit a worthy one, but the book just tailed off eventually, & became a sort of self-serving agenda for the geezer who, to combat high speed electronic trading, set up his own "fair" exchange.

What was quite interesting was that Brokers were parking their servers right next to Stock Exchanges, in dedicated Data Centre, just so the data reached them a zilionth of a second sooner. Bizarre stuff, but there are many better books on the subject available. Not the best book I've read this year by a goodly way.

• edited July 2014
    Subject of books on planes.....

First time I went to Vegas in 2011, I read the Devilfish autobiography on the way there (I only flew from New York but still squeezed it in within the 4 hours or so in the air). Very interesting read, he's seen and done so much stuff, won and lost more in a day than most of us could ever dream of.

Coming back from Vegas in May, I read 'I Am The Secret Footballer'. It was a Thomas Cook flight so entertainment options were very limited! Virgin /> TC...... I digress, another interesting read. Gives quite an insight into the modern day footballer.

There is a website dedicated to who the 'secret footballer' might be. Front runner is Dave Kitson....
  • edited July 2014
    I'm a little baffled as to how Andrew Strauss didn't get fired for his comments. His bosses do have a history of letting people go for misdemeanours.

The whole Pietersen thing is dreadful in my book anyway. At a time when we've mightily fallen from grace we're choosing not play arguably our best ever batsman. A few posts ago on here we were discussing man management. What a great example this is of not being able to manage people. England cricket is just a shambles right now. When players such as Swann decide mid tour in the biggest series to quit, then things are clearly very wrong.

I imagine Pietersen is high maintenance. Worth going the extra mile for surely though.

I doubt it was always a bed of roses tor Brierley with Botham. Vaughan has recounted stories of issues with Flintoff and Pietersen. They were able to keep their stars happy and to also get the best out of them. It can be done.

Obviously I can't let this go without a quick mention for my hero Nigel Clough.
    At the start of last season he spent the majority of each game screaming in the ear of Forsyth. He let everyone know what he thought of him in the media after the games as well. The poor bloke was just learning the left back role after being a midfielder all his career. He was terrified of receiving the ball, made plenty of mistakes and was just happy to give the ball to someone else as quickly as possible.
    Roll on 12 months and he's a Scottish international and the fans are delighted that he's signed a new long term deal. Has his ability changed in the last 12 months? Nope, he just has a supportive manager who believes in him.
  • edited July 2014
    Found an old book on Cricket sledging the other day. (Some of the words have been altered)

Debutant James Ormond makes his way to the crease
    Waugh "Golly! What are you doing here? There's no way that you're good enough to play for England!"
    Ormond "maybe so but at least I'm the best player in my family"

Glenn McGrath "Eddo, why are you so fat?"
    Eddo Brandes "because every time I make love to your wife, she gives me a biscuit"

Shane Warne "I've been waiting 2 years to humiliate you again"
    Daryll Cullinan "looks like you've spent it eating"

Rodney Marsh "how's your wife and my kids?"
    Botham "wife's fine, kids aren't so smart"

Merv Hughes to a Robin Smith after he'd played and missed. "You can't bloody bat"
    Smith after knocking him for 4 next ball "we're a fine pair Merv, I can't bloody bat and you can't bloody bowl"

• edited July 2014
    God I am grumpy tonight
    real jac level grumpiness
    didn't even know I was grumpy until I started reading this thread.
    I thought reading jac's thread as my first community read for several weeks would cheer me up - wrong
  • edited July 2014
    so what are the football intelligentsia saying about the World Cup - nothing apparently

Wolf of Wall Street - another piece of Hollywood **** - WOWS, boiler room, margin call - all potentially great stories but **** films

Pieterson - ego the size of a planet - should be on the first flight to Mars

etc
    etc

not all bad though
    nice to hear the mtt winning run
    and that you're giving plo8 a go
    and that maybe Ivan & I might have had a point
  • edited July 2014
    God I am grumpy tonight real jac level grumpiness didn't even know I was grumpy until I started reading this thread. I thought reading jac's thread as my first community read for several weeks would cheer me up - wrong
    Posted by GELDY
    Seriously? 
    Sigh, by my standards I've been positively upbeat recently. 
    Cricket sledging no good? 

Neymar?
    Fit for next season? 
  • edited July 2014
    Found an old book on Cricket sledging the other day. (Some of the words have been altered) Debutant James Ormond makes his way to the crease Waugh "Golly! What are you doing here? There's no way that you're good enough to play for England!" Ormond "maybe so but at least I'm the best player in my family" Glenn McGrath "Eddo, why are you so fat?" Eddo Brandes "because every time I make love to your wife, she gives me a biscuit" Shane Warne "I've been waiting 2 years to humiliate you again" Daryll Cullinan "looks like you've spent it eating" Rodney Marsh "how's your wife and my kids?" Botham "wife's fine, kids aren't so smart" Merv Hughes to a Robin Smith after he'd played and missed. "You can't bloody bat" Smith after knocking him for 4 next ball "we're a fine pair Merv, I can't bloody bat and you can't bloody bowl"
    Posted by Jac35
    Brilliant !
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Seriously?  Sigh, by my standards I've been positively upbeat recently.  Cricket sledging no good?  Neymar? Fit for next season? 
    Posted by Jac35
    I was the grumpy one not you. Just reading your thread made me grumpier though. Had to go and have a read of the "real" old mans thread just to relax a bit. Now that's someone who talks sense.

I don't think Eminem has much to fear from those cricketing soundbites.
    Talking of which Suarez to team up with Neymar & Messi at Barca - interesting no?
  • edited July 2014
    Thought WOWS was really good personally. DiCaprio is in some cracking films. (WOWS, Inception, Shutter Island, Gangs of New York, Catch me if you can etc.)
    Posted by 77Chris91
    I'm sure you are right, & I hope my opinion did not dissuade anyone from viewing it. I'm sure if you like that sort of thing, it's a great film.

I last went to a Gaumont or Odeon about 30 years ago, & I can safely say I will NEVER, in my life, go to the Cinema again, it is just not something I enjoy.

So please ignore my view if you had planned to go see it.

The book was not so bad, to be fair. But I love books & loathe films, it's just a personal thing.

• edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : I was the grumpy one not you. Just reading your thread made me grumpier though. Had to go and have a read of the "real" old mans thread just to relax a bit. Now that's someone who talks sense. I don't think Eminem has much to fear from those cricketing soundbites. Talking of which Suarez to team up with Neymar & Messi at Barca - interesting no?
    Posted by GELDY
    Messi, Neymar and Suarez?

One tries to eat you
    One tries to break noses with his elbows 
    One isn't fond of the taxman

Yes, will certainly be an interesting threeesome.

Thought I may be missing out and so I googled the top ten eminem sound bites. Number one was jolly (had to change a few words as the filters weren't too keen)

"XXXX Slim, mother XXXXXXXX female dog, XXXX XXXX yo, you XXXX. XXXX trash XXXX XXXXXXXX mother XXXXXXXX"

Not quite my cup of tea but each to their own I guess. Think I'll stick with Test Match Special.

Nice to see you back Geldy :)
  • edited July 2014

Posted by Tikay10
    Lol

I assume that's because of the all in hand?
    Your comment really made me laugh. I was railing a friend in a couple of big satellites and I'd just said to him
    "Wow! Just bust Tikay, think he must have had around 83 outs"

You then pipe up with something like you had 256 outs twice over.

I was silly last night. As I said I was railing a friend and thought I may as well play a bit myself. Unusually for me though, i just wasn't bothered and so should have just left it. Playing every hand in a game you don't know is possibly not optimal.

Somehow I only lost one more than I won and so t was a small loss but a daft one at the sane time.
    I did get to near enough bust Geldy in one of the games. So I had some consolation :)
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Lol I assume that's because of the all in hand? Your comment really made me laugh. I was railing a friend in a couple of big satellites and I'd just said to him "Wow! Just bust Tikay, think he must have had around 83 outs" You then pipe up with something like you had 256 outs twice over. I was silly last night. As I said I was railing a friend and thought I may as well play a bit myself. Unusually for me though, i just wasn't bothered and so should have just left it. Playing every hand in a game you don't know is possibly not optimal. Somehow I only lost one more than I won and so t was a small loss but a daft one at the sane time. I did get to near enough bust Geldy in one of the games. So I had some consolation :)
    Posted by Jac35
    Please refer to my "can't teach an old dog new tricks" thread.

No further comment.
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Please refer to my "can't teach an old dog new tricks" thread. No further comment.
    Posted by Tikay10
    He he 

Crossover
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Lol I assume that's because of the all in hand? Your comment really made me laugh. I was railing a friend in a couple of big satellites and I'd just said to him "Wow! Just bust Tikay, think he must have had around 83 outs" You then pipe up with something like you had 256 outs twice over. I was silly last night. As I said I was railing a friend and thought I may as well play a bit myself. Unusually for me though, i just wasn't bothered and so should have just left it. Playing every hand in a game you don't know is possibly not optimal. Somehow I only lost one more than I won and so t was a small loss but a daft one at the sane time. I did get to near enough bust Geldy in one of the games. So I had some consolation :)
    Posted by Jac35
    feel free to keep calling my implied allins with hi-only hands like that. at least I get a laugh when I get knocked out
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    Jac35 Small blind  150.00 150.00 1643.12
    tikay1 Big blind  300.00 450.00 1810.00
      Your hole cards
    • J
    • A
    • Q

enabler145 Fold     
    jimb0d1 Fold     
    D96RNWE Fold     
    GELDY Raise  1050.00 1500.00 418.14
    Jac35 All-in  1643.12 3143.12 0.00
    tikay1 Fold     
    GELDY All-in  418.14 3561.26 0.00
    Jac35 Unmatched bet  324.98 3236.28 324.98
    Jac35 Show
    • K
    • A

GELDY Show
    • J
    • A
    • Q

Flop

• K

Turn

River

• J

Jac35 Win high Pair of Kings 3236.28  3561.26
     No qualifying low hand   
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : feel free to keep calling my implied allins with hi-only hands like that. at least I get a laugh when I get knocked out Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance Jac35 Small blind   150.00 150.00 1643.12 tikay1 Big blind   300.00 450.00 1810.00   Your hole cards J A Q 10       enabler145 Fold         jimb0d1 Fold         D96RNWE Fold         GELDY Raise   1050.00 1500.00 418.14 Jac35 All-in   1643.12 3143.12 0.00 tikay1 Fold         GELDY All-in   418.14 3561.26 0.00 Jac35 Unmatched bet   324.98 3236.28 324.98 Jac35 Show K 9 10 A       GELDY Show J A Q 10       Flop     K 5 2       Turn     3       River     J       Jac35 Win high Pair of Kings 3236.28   3561.26   No qualifying low hand    
    Posted by GELDY
    Fair play Gelders.
    That looks pretty bad even to my untrained eye. I had a tell, honest! (Or maybe I haven't a clue) I'll learn though.
    I've missed you being away Geldy. It was really good meeting people like you at the SPTs. Even though it's only banter maybe we should start being a bit nicer to each other? You know how thin skinned I am, I really start worrying that I have actually offended you because that's the last thing I'd want to do.
    I do want to get into plo8. It's true I wasn't really concentrating last night but even if I had been I still wouldn't really have known what I was doing. I played a hand against geardirl and thought well I've got no high but the low is locked up. How daft am I? We chopped the low and he won the high. Felt pretty foolish.
    I really think I shouldn't play and instead study a lot at the game. Believe it or not it's been a while since I've realised in game that everyone is looking at me as the spot. It's quite embarrassing.