You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ramblings of an old man

Comments

• edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man:
    Aussies losing wickets quicker than I lost dyms last night. Some going that
    Posted by Jac35
    Good isn't it. Managed to arrange my day around being able to watch the first hours play and I have nearly seen a whole innings.
  • edited August 2015
    Football season begins today
    Ashes will be won today.
    More money in my account than I had this time yesterday.
    Afternoon drinking today.

All smiles here.

No poker today. Think I need a day off.
    Read this earlier somewhere else.  Now I've used some  pretty average excuses in the past  for losing but this is brilliant.

"Worst I've played for a while. Just wasn't feeling it all day, probably something to do with the shitt breakfast I had. "

• edited August 2015
    Football season begins today Ashes will be won today. More money in my account than I had this time yesterday. Afternoon drinking today. All smiles here. No poker today. Think I need a day off. .... Read this earlier somewhere else.  Now I've used some  pretty average excuses in the past  for losing but this is brilliant. " Worst I've played for a while. Just wasn't feeling it all day, probably something to do with the shitt breakfast I had.  "
    Posted by Jac35
    King Push ftw, right?

Interesting character.
  • edited August 2015
    Just caught Tikays piece.  Loved it.  Thank you Tikay.

Hope your running better Paul and smashing the double points weekend.
  • edited August 2015
    Some may smirk at this a little, I'm thinking of the chunky maestro in particular, but I've found the Dyms fascinating so far this month. 
    Last month went well. For the 3 weeks I played on Sky I played exactly 500 games with 99% being Dyms. I made £971. Add in £400+ of rakeback and the Vegas cash, I was pretty happy with that.

The beginning of this month I think I became complacent. I was way too aggro and went into shove mode too early. There is often a time for the any two shove but I was doing it far too much. Consequently the regs adjusted quickly and started calling me a lot lighter but mostly correctly. I was also making stupid mistakes. Getting coolered early on is fine but I found myself busting early needlessly in some games.

Oddly enough this might work in my favour for a little while. I had a little chat with myself and went back to basics. I've noticed over the last few days that I'm still being called very light and generally I've been ahead. The good regs will quickly readjust but the bad ones will take a little longer. So I've turned it around a bit. Down for the month but with rakeback a little ahead.

Priority mini tonight. So I'll play that plus a few Dyms. I'm in 6400 points for the month so it would be nice to make priority this weekend and then slow down for the rest of the month.

• edited August 2015
    I put my first ever bet on at the weekend (with a little help)
    Don't know why but once I'd thought of it I had to do it. It obviously would come in otherwise.
    Derby, Chelsea and Portsmouth to win their respective divisions. Put on £25 each way and so if all goes to plan it'd return just over £2k.

I'm a dunce and so any help would be appreciated. 

Let's say with a month to go, 2 are running away with it but the other one looks like missing out. Is there much I can do in that situation to at least get a small win out of it?

Huge blow for Derby this morning. Hughes out for pretty much the whole season.Last year we lost Thorne, who I think is the best central defensive midfielder in the league. This year we lose Hughes, who is arguably the best creative midfielder in the league. We really don't have anyone similar and so I expect us to splash the cash again or look at a season loan. 
  • edited August 2015
    Who's chunky maestro? He sounds cool.

Yeah you could manipulate the bet to get something out of it. Lets take a look at a realistic scenario; Chelsea and Pompey are romping home, but Derby have bottled it, despite being top for the last 17 years, and have fallen away in the final month.

So if you're confident that Chelsea/Portsmouth won't 'do a Derby', then Betfair will be your friend to lay Derby finishing in the top 4. If they've had a spectacular fall from grace then you might not get a great deal back, but its better than nothing and you should be able to guarantee a return.
  • edited August 2015
    Who's chunky maestro? He sounds cool. Yeah you could manipulate the bet to get something out of it. Lets take a look at a realistic scenario; Chelsea and Pompey are romping home, but Derby have bottled it, despite being top for the last 17 years, and have fallen away in the final month. So if you're confident that Chelsea/Portsmouth won't 'do a Derby', then Betfair will be your friend to lay Derby finishing in the top 4. If they've had a spectacular fall from grace then you might not get a great deal back, but its better than nothing and you should be able to guarantee a return.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Thank you.

So you're suggesting that your home town team, Manchester City are unlikely to win the Premier League?

• edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Thank you. So you're suggesting that your home town team, Manchester City are unlikely to win the Premier League?
    Posted by Jac35
    Yep, I'm gonna blindly follow the experts and predict we'll struggle to keep hold of our top 4 place. Esp after our rivals all looked so threatening this weekend, whereas City were pretty mediocre last night.

Silva needs to up his game or he'll be gone.
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Yep, I'm gonna blindly follow the experts and predict we'll struggle to keep hold of our top 4 place. Esp after our rivals all looked so threatening this weekend, whereas City were pretty mediocre last night. Silva needs to up his game or he'll be gone.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Just pray that you can hold on to him and he doesn't yearn to go to a big club. One that competes in Europe

• edited August 2015
    Thanks for the jinx Jac.
    I know whos' door I will be knocking on if Pompey fail to get over the line.
  • edited August 2015
    Thanks for the jinx Jac. I know whos' door I will be knocking on if Pompey fail to get over the line.
    Posted by pompeynic
    :)
    It'll be your door I'll be knocking on if Portsmouth let me down. You said in that Dym that they were going up! The only one of the 3 to win at the weekend.
  • edited August 2015
    I imagine it'll be a struggle to get much of a cash out unless all 3 are at least still in with a reasonable shot of winning their respective titles... part of why I don't have patience for season long bets (the other, being a degenerate gambler that needs a quicker fix)

Must be tough for Derby having a player out injured and only having a £4m+ player to replace him and ability to chuck a similar sum out to get a replacement if really necessary.  Feel really sorry for them.

Love financial fair play rules.
  • edited August 2015
    I imagine it'll be a struggle to get much of a cash out unless all 3 are at least still in with a reasonable shot of winning their respective titles... part of why I don't have patience for season long bets (the other, being a degenerate gambler that needs a quicker fix) Must be tough for Derby having a player out injured and only having a £4m+ player to replace him and ability to chuck a similar sum out to get a replacement if really necessary.  Feel really sorry for them. Love financial fair play rules.
    Posted by shakinaces
    Even allowing for your transfer embargo this summer, you have spent significantly more than us over the last few years
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Even allowing for your transfer embargo this summer, you have spent significantly more than us over the last few years
    Posted by Jac35
    Look, we're all sick and tired of Derby trying to buy the Championship. Ruining football, ruining the national team. For shame.
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Look, we're all sick and tired of Derby trying to buy the Championship. Ruining football, ruining the national team. For shame.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

Love it when you can see a great sized stirring ladle in somebodies back pocket! Normally only happens down my local(from the barman!) some see some don't! so  i will apologise already just in case hhyftftrgdfeferff... is taken aback by such slurs on his character..:))
  • edited August 2015
    Busy week ahead

Mighty Rams today. Please change the system new guy. This formation doesn't suit any of our players. The 443 that we've played for the last couple of years has worked for the majority of the time. 

I'll watch my 2nd team batter Man City tomorrow afternoon.

Tuesday and we've got Middlesbrough. Nugent bound to score.

Thursday and its DTD for the freeroll.

Friday is golf with Hendrik. Already regretting asking him. I'm shocking, he's a pro. At night Derby are in against Birmingham.

Got to get some poker in as well. Doing pretty well for month 7200 so far. Want to get priority as quickly as possible

Have a nice weekend all.
  • edited August 2015
    443? 

Probably should stick someone in goal!

;)
  • edited August 2015
    Sounds like a nice week ahead , enjoy buddy.

I will have to go against you tomorrow as I have two chunky bets on both teams.

One to win the league and one for the manager to not be in charge at the end of the season.
  • edited August 2015
    443?  Probably should stick someone in goal! ;)
    Posted by gerardirl
    McClaren special. That's why they were so dominate last season....

....until April.
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : McClaren special. That's why they were so dominate last season.... ....until April.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Brilliant
  • edited August 2015
    Finally in profit for the month. Thank goodness for rakeback :)

Big game for the Mighty Rams. Unfortunately we always struggle against Middlesbrough. We played reasonably well on Saturday and we'll win tonight 

Just had it confirmed that I'm on the show in a fortnight. Should be fun. I'm on with Liv Boeree and Anna is presenting. Might be difficult to concentrate.
  • edited August 2015
    Finally in profit for the month. Thank goodness for rakeback :) Big game for the Mighty Rams tonight. Unfortunately we always struggle against Middlesbrough. We played reasonably well on Saturday but really need to get that first win. Just had it confirmed that I'm on the show in a fortnight. Should be fun. I'm on with Liv Boeree and Anna is presenting. Might be difficult to concentrate.
    Posted by Jac35
     That's what you call a top pair with a bad kicker.

Good luck
  • edited August 2015
    WP and GL

However I dont think it's just you who will have trouble.

I will be watching but doubt I will be concentrating much on anything you do or say.
  • edited August 2015
    One of my 3 comments earlier may not actually be true. I had a dream last night and at my age fantasy can merge with reality. Which one though?

Me in profit - surely that's doubtful

Derby to win - very doubtful 

Me on show with Liv - hmmm
  • edited August 2015
    One of my 3 comment earlier may not actually be true. I had a dream last night and at my age fantasy can merge with reality. Which one though? Me in profit - surely that's doubtful Derby to win - very doubtful  Me on show with Liv - hmmm
    Posted by Jac35
    I know........

Can't believe anyone fell for it.
  • edited August 2015
    OKfished in

Probably just wishful thinking taking over the brain cells (for the Liv part obv)

But here are 3 reasons why it was plausible...

1. Liv is a "friend of the show" and may have been over for the UKPC and been invited on.
    2. The booking agent might have made a rickett and been trying to get Paul the poker player Jackson
    3. The producers were so impressed with Jacs performance on camera in Vegas they had to get him on the show.

OK so maybe two of those are flips and the other is a 1 outer. 

I've just got my 100 points so now I need to qualify for a UKPC seat so I can come down and give you and Tikay a jolly good piece of my mind.
  • edited August 2015
    I really hope you've lost money this month Paul 
    for two exceptional reasons :-)

• edited August 2015
    The Mighty Rams run well
    4 midfielders injured in 2 and a bit games! 
    Bah
  • edited August 2015

Were they fit in the first place?

Here's one of your players in action.