You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ramblings of an old man

Comments

• edited September 2015
    No poker yesterday at all. First total day off for ages.

Massive signing for us right on the deadline getting Johnson in. Always rated him and we now have real strength in depth. Our squad is so strong but it's results that matter and we haven't been getting them. There are already plenty of calls for Clement to go which is ridiculous. I do fear for him though. I doubt the new chairman will be patient for too long after investing £20 million in transfer fees. 

A lot less poker this month. I'm going to play tonight though.  There's a priority thing and I'll play a bunch of other mtts as well. No Dyms planned.
  • edited September 2015
    Can't believe I missed being post number 2222 :'(
    Good luck in the MTTs tonight :)
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man:
    Can't believe I missed being post number 2222 :'( Good luck in the MTTs tonight :)
    Posted by mrsduck
    Ty Ducky

This mtt lark is hard work. Just bust last game. Played for 4 hours 15 minutes.
    Played 6 amd cashed in mini and mega.
    Bust mini in 16th i think. Had 88 4 handed and Claytov who had been raising me constantly 3bet. i shipped and he had QQ. Think it's fine?
    Played the Mega Stack for some bizarre reason. Got to 3handed and called an open shove for about 25 bigs with QQ. He had 54 and so i was always in trouble there :)

Made a 9p loss on the night and got very few points :)

Going back to Dyms :)
  • edited September 2015
    How deep were you, and positions? A 3b is different from raising constantly. I'm often pretty aggro raising a lot but then my 3b are often fairly tight since most players don't open that loose and so when they do it's just not profitable to 3b a loose range against them.

It probably can't be too bad but I think folding might be better.
  • edited September 2015
    Can't have been 16th and 4 handed unless at least 4 of you went out on the same hand! 

Sounds an interesting hand though. Unlike that mega one. Had a live table recently where someone was opening big with atc. Sure he went out after a few hours but until then it was very tedious having him on my left. Still won't make me start playing dyms though. 

• edited September 2015
    No poker yesterday at all. First total day off for ages. Massive signing for us right on the deadline getting Johnson in. Always rated him and we now have real strength in depth. Our squad is so strong but it's results that matter and we haven't been getting them. There are already plenty of calls for Clement to go which is ridiculous. I do fear for him though. I doubt the new chairman will be patient for too long after investing £20 million in transfer fees.  A lot less poker this month. I'm going to play tonight though.  There's a priority thing and I'll play a bunch of other mtts as well. No Dyms planned.
    Posted by Jac35
    More solid signings, when things click for the new manager's style of play (which they will) you guys are going to be unstoppable :(

It must surely be promotion or bust now though?  £20m in one window dwarfs anything we've chucked out while the prem league signings won't be getting paid peanuts so seems like they must be right on the edge of FFP rules... who'd have thought Candy Crush Saga could be so profitable.

Obviously incredibly jealous as we look forward to fighting to try and finish in 21st place this season lol

UL in the MTTs, think DYM/cash is definitely the better option to try and retain some sanity :)
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Ty Ducky This mtt lark is hard work. Just bust last game. Played for 4 hours 15 minutes. Played 6 amd cashed in mini and mega. Bust mini in 16th i think. Had 88 4 handed and Claytov who had been raising me constantly 3bet. i shipped and he had QQ. Think it's fine? Played the Mega Stack for some bizarre reason. Got to 3handed and called an open shove for about 25 bigs with QQ. He had 54 and so i was always in trouble there :) Made a 9p loss on the night and got very few points :) Going back to Dyms :)
    Posted by Jac35
    Now this is a spot where I'd be looking at the lobby before shoving.
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Now this is a spot where I'd be looking at the lobby before shoving.
    Posted by bbMike
    Would have loved to have been able too. Download has crashed on me and it took an age just to get the browser working. Should probably ask sky for a refund actually :)
    Sort it out Sky!!!
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : More solid signings, when things click for the new manager's style of play (which they will) you guys are going to be unstoppable :(It must surely be promotion or bust now though?  £20m in one window dwarfs anything we've chucked out while the prem league signings won't be getting paid peanuts so seems like they must be right on the edge of FFP rules... who'd have thought Candy Crush Saga could be so profitable. Obviously incredibly jealous as we look forward to fighting to try and finish in 21st place this season lol UL in the MTTs, think DYM/cash is definitely the better option to try and retain some sanity :)
    Posted by shakinaces
    Trying to buy success. Shame on Derby.
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man:
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : More solid signings, when things click for the new manager's style of play (which they will) you guys are going to be unstoppable :( It must surely be promotion or bust now though?  £20m in one window dwarfs anything we've chucked out while the prem league signings won't be getting paid peanuts so seems like they must be right on the edge of FFP rules... who'd have thought Candy Crush Saga could be so profitable. Obviously incredibly jealous as we look forward to fighting to try and finish in 21st place this season lol UL in the MTTs, think DYM/cash is definitely the better option to try and retain some sanity :)
    Posted by shakinaces
    Things should click but there's been little sign of it so far. I hate it when managers go early but I think he'll have a problem if we don't win soon. It's a little reminiscent of when Pickering came in and we spent huge sums of money. It was ridiculous, we were outbidding the biggest sides in the land for players. We had a team of stars but didn't go up. 
    With the amount of money the new chairman has spent, I doubt he'll be too patient. Surprisingly we have been inside FFP up until now. That I'm sure will have changed when we spent another 10 million on deadline day. With the new guy taking over I wondered at first if that was a way around it with cancelling the debt. However, I'm pretty sure that FFP is based solely on the accounts - income/expenditure.

Back to Dyms last night. Far simpler. Played for 30 minutes and won some money and shut the laptop down :)

Been off work all week. Absolutely knackered. Had Harry all week.
    Mums going to look after him this afternoon and so its golf and then beer :)
  • edited September 2015

Morning Paul.

Whilst playing some DYM's last night, your name came up, & a mutual friend immediately referred to you as "Grumpy Jac", & suggested you enjoy the occasional rant.

I was somewhat startled, where on earth does he get that idea from?
  • edited September 2015
    Morning Paul. Whilst playing some DYM's last night, your name came up, & a mutual friend immediately referred to you as "Grumpy Jac", & suggested you enjoy the occasional rant.   I was somewhat startled, where on earth does he get that idea from?
    Posted by Tikay10
    No idea 
    Must have been a bit of a weirdo the guy who came up with "Grumpy Jac"

It's funny how everybody perceives people differently, poker being no exception.
    I was amused the other night. There's a group I'm in. I had just won a big pot against a very good player in there who was a bit short. He asked people's thoughts on me. (He knows I'm in group and was just jesting). Another very good player who must have been unaware I was in the group came back with "tight, mainly plays dyms".

After "Any2gate" this made me smile.
  • edited September 2015
    Morning Paul. Whilst playing some DYM's last night, your name came up, & a mutual friend immediately referred to you as "Grumpy Jac", & suggested you enjoy the occasional rant.   I was somewhat startled, where on earth does he get that idea from?
    Posted by Tikay10

I saw that too, was very surprised......only one possible explanation; must have been a typo and villian was referring to that well known apple based alcoholic beveridge....scrumpy jack.
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : I saw that too, was very surprised......only one possible explanation; must have been a typo and villian was referring to that well known apple based alcoholic beveridge....scrumpy jack.
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    Can't imagine Jac has ever been referred to as scrumpy before. Ever.
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : No idea  Must have been a bit of a weirdo the guy who came up with "Grumpy Jac" It's funny how everybody perceives people differently, poker being no exception. I was amused the other night. There's a group I'm in. I had just won a big pot against a very good player in there who was a bit short. He asked people's thoughts on me. (He knows I'm in group and was just jesting). Another very good player who must have been unaware I was in the group came back with "tight, mainly plays dyms". After "Any2gate" this made me smile.
    Posted by Jac35
    You won a pot against Matt Bates?
  • edited September 2015

Meanwhile, we need to find this weirdo who gave you the nic "Grumpy Jac".

Do we have any clues?
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : You won a pot against Matt Bates?
    Posted by Tikay10
    Yes

Note to self. 
    Try and be more subtle next time
  • edited September 2015
    Meanwhile, we need to find this weirdo who gave you the nic "Grumpy Jac". Do we have any clues?
    Posted by Tikay10

Does he look Welsh?

• edited September 2015
    Mr Jac sir - don't see your name on the HU Cup yet.

Are you doing a Derby and trying to buy I mean win the league and so have no time for cups?

PNE v Derby next week - at least you cant buy any more players now. 
  • edited September 2015
    I think Paul actually suits a Saucy Jac moniker

• edited September 2015
    You're a naughty one Saucy Jac
    You're a haughty one Saucy Jac
    When the streetlamp gaslight flickers and fails
    Then you see the last light glinting off the entrails

Oh naughty naughty naughty

You're a sneaky one Saucy Jac
    You're a cheeky one Saucy Jac
    First the who-re says "Guv'nor fancy a squeeze?"
    Next you will be shov'in her down the hole to Hades

The scourge of London Town
    (The scourge of London Town)
    There'll be no rest 'til
    You are a guest of The Crown

Naughty naughty naughty

You're a ghoulish one Saucy Jac
    Not a foolish one Saucy Jac
    Though the peelers track you early and late
    Slipping out the back you counter with a checkmate

Naughty naughty naughty

Hm hm hm hm hoo hoo ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
  • edited September 2015
    You on glue Geldy?
  • edited September 2015
    Your choice Paul

Grumpy
    Or
    Saucy

Just giving you an option

• edited September 2015
    Weird game
    Last night nothing went right until the very end. A couple of hands that happened simultaneously on different tables summed it up. KK v Liambois AK,Ace on river for a £60 pot and then QQ where I called a 4bet all in. He had KJ and flopped K K x. Turn Q :) River K :(
      I was in a £240 hole and was lucky to hit a few hands at the end and get  £180 of it back.

Tonight played for 40 minutes and won £137. Won 5 out of 6 dyms and kept getting hands that held this time at cash

Hope they don't keep doing these quadruple points things at cash. Could be very bad for my bankroll :)
    Double points Dyms again please!

Got my car serviced first thing this morning and the dealership was next to a Greggs. I'm not sure I've ever had anything from there before. Food was rubbish and latte was abysmal. Won't be going again. 

Watched 5 minutes of the football. If Vardy is good enough for England then we're in a worse state than I thought we were.

Got blown out for pub for 2nd night running. Not amused. Don't drink at home ever and I'm thirsty.  Meant to be going tomorrow night now instead. I will be proper grumpy if we don't go again.

Harry likes me (I think) but point blank refuses to let me pick him up and give him a bottle in the night. Just happened again. Just shouts for his Mum. Same first thing in the morning. Looks like Penny is up at 6 again tomorrow morning. I'll get over it
  • edited September 2015
    Played 6 Dyms last night 
    Won 3 and lost 3 for a nice little profit!
    2 of the ones I lost were a £2.25 and a £3.30. Won the £20's I played :)

I should whisper this. I quite enjoyed the plo8 game I played. I'm still pretty clueless but I think my dym experience means I can be competitive. Didn't win this one but apart from one poor call I was happy with how I played. I've said before how important my notes are to me with Dyms and as I obviously don't know the plo8 players, it feels strange playing without them.

A known mischief maker tried to do a little stirring between Tikay and myself. Not going to get anywhere with that mate. Another player expressed concern when Tikay put "GP" into the chatbox :) 

If I'm really bored I might watch a bit of the England game tonight
  • edited September 2015
    Played 6 Dyms last night  Won 3 and lost 3 for a nice little profit! 2 of the ones I lost were a £2.25 and a £3.30. Won the £20's I played :) I should whisper this. I quite enjoyed the plo8 game I played. I'm still pretty clueless but I think my dym experience means I can be competitive. Didn't win this one but apart from one poor call I was happy with how I played. I've said before how important my notes are to me with Dyms and as I obviously don't know the plo8 players, it feels strange playing without them. A known mischief maker tried to do a little stirring between Tikay and myself. Not going to get anywhere with that mate. Another player expressed concern when Tikay put "GP" into the chatbox :) Priority freeroll tonight so I'll play a little bit. If I'm really bored I might watch a bit of the England game as well
    Posted by Jac35
    It did not seem that bad to me, & once you took a flop, you were stuck. Think you had Q flush bested by an A flush, & a nut low draw? Thing is, that (arguably) little error in calling pre so often leads to bigger problems. I'm not much of a caller personally, I much prefer to be the opener. Hands I would open with are often not good enough to call or re-raise with. 

One - very popular & likeable - PLO8 regular has a big leak here, & I'd love to help him. When our cards are dealt, before it gets to us, we decide what we plan to do. Quite a few hands are good enough (with the blinds big) to open with, but once someone else opens, we have to revert to Plan B, & fold. And he can't do that, he sort of ignores the raiser in front of him & still goes with it. Must cost him a fortune. If he recognizes who he is, PM me, & I'll try to explain better.

Yeah, a bit of stirring last night, but I try to ignore all that. Was a fun game we had, & I hope you join us more often.    

• edited September 2015

Incidentally, I get a fair bit of grief - hopefully good-natured - because I rarely plan any hands early doors. 

"Is the old man still awake over there, will he ever play a hand?"

Then, when it gets 4 handed & 150-300 & 200-400,  & I'm battering that Pot button - & I do - they get cross with me for being too aggro. Poker players, eh?
  • edited September 2015
    Was this just coincidence it was your first time visitng Greggs?

• edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : It did not seem that bad to me, & once you took a flop, you were stuck. Think you had Q flush bested by an A flush, & a nut low draw? Thing is, that (arguably) little error in calling pre so often leads to bigger problems. I'm not much of a caller personally, I much prefer to be the opener. Hands I would open with are often not good enough to call or re-raise with.  One - very popular & likeable - PLO8 regular has a big leak here, & I'd love to help him. When our cards are dealt, before it gets to us, we decide what we plan to do. Quite a few hands are good enough (with the blinds big) to open with, but once someone else opens, we have to revert to Plan B, & fold. And he can't do that, he sort of ignores the raiser in front of him & still goes with it. Must cost him a fortune. If he recognizes who he is, PM me, & I'll try to explain better.   Yeah, a bit of stirring last night, but I try to ignore all that. Was a fun game we had, & I hope you join us more often.      
    Posted by Tikay10
    I opened that pot. He called in the bb
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : I opened that pot. He called in the bb
    Posted by Jac35
    Does not seem too bad to me then, combo hand, with A-2, & a Q high flush draw, that's a reasonable opening hand.