You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ramblings of an old man

Comments

• edited February 2016
    Who is your favourite ever player for your team? Youl Mawene - best free transfer ever.
  • edited February 2016
    Who is your favourite ever player for your team? - Paolo Di Canio, crazy genius, Payet could run him close in the next few years though. 
  • edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man:
    Who is your favourite ever player for your team? - Paolo Di Canio, crazy genius, Payet could run him close in the next few years though. 
    Posted by jordz16
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man:

It's really hard to pick just one. I'm going to do top 3 from the 80's 90's 00's and this decade. You'll definitely know of one of them Jordz

80's 
    Bobby Davison
    Ted McMinn (lost his foot a while ago)
    Dean Saunders
    Specia mention for Mick Brolly. Don't know if he was any good as I was too young. Great name though.

90's
    Igor Stimac
    Aljosa Asanovic
    Francesco Biano

00's 
    Inigo idiekez
    Steve Howard
    Tyrone Mears (only because he showed his love for the club by escaping through a training ground window to sign for a French club)

10's
    Er pass

• edited February 2016
    I remember Stimac pretty well, he was a part of our incredibly famous Intertoto cup winning side! Tyrone Mears was a strange one, I remember him being tipped as a potential England player when he joined us, he then got injured after a couple of months and when he came back it was as if they had replaced him with a ringer.
      My favourite player of the 90's was Julian D.icks, he used to sit in the bath with a can of coke and a mars bar up til 5 minutes before kick off and once ruptured his knee ligaments and still played a further 5 games before it was diagnosed after saying he thought it was just a dead leg, you dont get players like that these days.
  • edited February 2016
    Had no idea tin man played for your lot.

How about Archie Gemmil and Charlie George and the Baseball Ground groundsman (proper football pitch)in the 70's 

My Sellic faves

oldies McGrain, Dalgliesh, Macari

oldish Latchford, Mcstay, Burns

modernish Collins, DiCanio,Cadete

more modernish Moravcik,Larsson, Lambert

Today.....pass

• edited February 2016
    Had no idea tin man played for your lot. How about Archie Gemmil and Charlie George and the Baseball Ground groundsman (proper football pitch)in the 70's  My Sellic faves oldies McGrain, Dalgliesh, Macari oldish Latchford, Mcstay, Burns modernish Collins, DiCanio,Cadete more modernish Moravcik,Larsson, Lambert Today.....pass
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    Don't remember most off these players too young lol but ted mcminn truly a legend beat five people then fall over his own feet brilliant
  • edited February 2016
    Tyrone Mears? City reject.

Back in the day; Andy Morrison, a thug with a questionable lifestyle who dragged us kicking and screaming out of the old division 2.

Weaver. Wembley '99, nuff said. When we signed him from Mansfield, he'd only played one competitive game, and shipped 7 in it, so it was a mild gamble. Worked out ok.

Ali Benarbia. The David Silva of his time. Even better when he teamed up with Eyal Berkovic in the swashbuckling Keegan years.

But there is a clear favourite for me, someone unlikely to ever be surpassed in legendary status. Stand forward, Shaun Goater.
  • edited February 2016
    Paul McGrath
    Gordon Cowans
    Tony Morley
  • edited February 2016
    denis smith the tank
    mark stein the golden one
    ryan shawcross ryan the lion or should be :)
  • edited February 2016
    Some great shouts there

Jordz - I don't think Stimac was ever as popular with your lot as with ours? Mears definitely has ability. Very similar at Derby. He was dreadful at first and then got injured. Came back and was a different player. Had his first name on the back of his shirt when he returned because he thought it might change his luck with injuries.

Weecheez - Intentional dark humour with Ted? :)

Vespa - Some good 90's Derby names from you there. Morley didn't play for us though!

Stoke - Surely some others in the present team will get close if they stay with you for long?  A very different Stoke to what we've been used to. Bojan etc
  • edited February 2016
    Some great shouts there Jordz - I don't think Stimac was ever as popular with your lot as with ours? Mears definitely has ability. Very similar at Derby. He was dreadful at first and then got injured. Came back and was a different player. Had his first name on the back of his shirt when he returned because he thought it might change his luck with injuries. Weecheez - Intentional dark humour with Ted? :) Vespa - Some good 90's Derby names from you there. Morley didn't play for us though! Stoke - Surely some others in the present team will get close if they stay with you for long?  A very different Stoke to what we've been used to. Bojan etc
    Posted by Jac35
    maybe so jac but im abit cynical and look at them to be using us as a stepping stone and conna really class them as legends so to speak,smithy played all his career at stoke should of played for england imo
    steino although only played for 3 years for us he was a goal machine and it was at a time when i never missed a match all be it in the lower leagues,.oh to be young again eh
    ryan well he,s a collosus for us and has been with us since before promtion to the premiership and should at least be in the england setup if not playing but im bias :)
  • edited February 2016
    Stimic was unlucky with us really he just happened to be around at the same time as Bilic, Ferdinand and Potts who were all club legends, as for my favourite player to play for both West Ham and Derby has to be Paolo Wanchope.
  • edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : maybe so jac but im abit cynical and look at them to be using us as a stepping stone and conna really class them as legends so to speak,smithy played all his career at stoke should of played for england imo steino although only played for 3 years for us he was a goal machine and it was at a time when i never missed a match all be it in the lower leagues,.oh to be young again eh ryan well he,s a collosus for us and has been with us since before promtion to the premiership and should at least be in the england setup if not playing but im bias :)
    Posted by stokefc
    They will soon move on to bigger and better things ;)

Wanchope! Something we can all agree on. Didn't he score a hat-trick for Derby at O/T? What a guy!
  • edited February 2016
    Trying to get more balance this month. Not played very much poker. It's gone reasonably ok when I have and I'm up a little bit. Enjoyed the freeROLL last night. Made a tenner :)

Football was awful yesterday. As one friend said to me, maybe it was better when Nigel was in charge as at least we didn't start with any hope back then.

First golfing game of the year planned for tomorrow.
    Looking forward to it.

Really enjoying table tennis and playing every Monday night now. Sadly it means that I miss the Dtd games.

Halfway through a good book.

Might get a live game in tonight. I say this a lot and it doesn't happen. Hopefully though tonight will happen.

Really looking forward to UKPC. Doubt I'll be playing but I'll certainly be drinking and railing a few friends. Meeting up with Jimi, James and the tubby genius is making an appearance as well.

I'm Paw Patrolled  out I think. Been watching since 7.30

• edited February 2016
    Pretty sure these nicknames are a form of online bullying. I'm building a case to deliver to SkyKirsty personally.

Off to see Spurs smash us, marv.
  • edited February 2016
    Live poker is still the nuts. Miss it so much now I don't get to play it much

Tonight was good.

Came 2nd for £500

Buy in was £65 and with drinks I'm pleased to say I've made about £200 on the night.

Usual stuff live. 7 way limped pots. A player folding 10s preflop when it's folded round to him. Reason being that there was a 10 on the previous flop..

Credit to the guy who won it. With 7 left and only 5 places he agreed to do 7 places when he was a monster chip leader. Very happy at the time with that as I was the shortest with about 8 bigs. I always deal in these games regardless of whether I have a stack or not, so it was nice when I was short that they all did the deal.

Last hand i got it in reasonably badly. He'd limped aces and I'd hit bottom pair. I check raised all in. Gg me :)

• edited February 2016
    wp paul allways nice to see one of the good guys do well sir
  • edited February 2016
    Nice binkage.

Shame about the footie - not the best reaction from having sacked the manager. Most teams react positively, if nothing else it's the players opportunity to show the fans that the manager was to blame and not them.

Or perhaps they just took the owners quote that promotion is not a priority to heart?

• edited February 2016
    Nice binkage. Shame about the footie - not the best reaction from having sacked the manager. Most teams react positively, if nothing else it's the players opportunity to show the fans that the manager was to blame and not them. Or perhaps they just took the owners quote that promotion is not a priority to heart?
    Posted by Phantom66
    Or maybe they are just shi.....
  • edited February 2016
    Well as a small club fan, I do find it fascinating when clubs with expensive squads and large wage bills suddenly start sliding down the league.
  • edited February 2016
    Well as a small club fan, I do find it fascinating when clubs with expensive squads and large wage bills suddenly start sliding down the league.
    Posted by Phantom66
    Blatant brag!
  • edited February 2016
    I was a little Sky Nostradamus last night at about 10.30
  • edited February 2016
    I was a little Sky Nostradamus last night at about 10.30
    Posted by Jac35
    To be fair, it was as predictable as Derby bottling it season after season.
  • edited February 2016
    20/02/2016.
    BRENTFORD 1 DERBY 3
  • edited February 2016
    20/02/2016. BRENTFORD 3 DERBY 0
    Posted by rainman397
    Fixed your post
  • edited February 2016
    Tikay 
    Need your help

We're close to convincing CPFC to pop across the water from his mansion in Ireland to see us all next weekend. Just needs a little extra push methinks (maybe a few pics of valets will do it)

Not much poker although did play a few dyms last night successfully.

A lot of films this month.
    Watched Airplane again last night. What a film.
    Saw Wolf of Wall Street again and still love it.
    Pulp Fiction again tonight I think.

Saw the first new episode of Better Call Saul on Thursday. A great character.
    Need to get back to Narcos. Watched the first few episodes a while back and enjoyed it.

House of Cards returns soon I believe so looking forward to that.

Not looking forward to Derbys inevitable defeat to Brentford today
  • edited February 2016
    Narcos is superb!

Similar to someone else in the news, he married his wife when he was 27 and she was only 15.....he must have signed a lot of cartel football tops for her :)
  • edited February 2016
    Tikay  Need your help We're close to convincing CPFC to pop across the water from his mansion in Ireland to see us all next weekend. Just needs a little extra push methinks (maybe a few pics of valets will do it) .... Not much poker although did play a few dyms last night successfully. A lot of films this month. Watched Airplane again last night. What a film. Saw Wolf of Wall Street again and still love it. Pulp Fiction again tonight I think. Saw the first new episode of Better Call Saul on Thursday. A great character. Need to get back to Narcos. Watched the first few episodes a while back and enjoyed it. House of Cards returns soon I believe so looking forward to that. Not looking forward to Derbys inevitable defeat to Brentford today
    Posted by Jac35
    Would it help if I promised to tell him a few of my interesting stories? 
  • edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Would it help if I promised to tell him a few of my interesting stories?  
    Posted by Tikay10

I may have misread PNTPP's OP but I am sure he said he wanted to 'encourage' CPFC to come over........;-)
  • edited February 2016
    Sigh
    He's just text me to say that he's decided on the Village Fete instead