You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ramblings of an old man

Comments

• edited February 2016
    i liked alan shearer,s goal celebration arm up wheel away no nonsense not like these fancy celebrations,look at that guy from swansea crawling round like a tiger or lion or whatever i mean wtf
    i liked mick channons when i were a kid windmilling
  • edited February 2016
    Enjoyed going over to Dtd on Friday and Saturday nights.
    Met up with some friends in Stapleford first on Friday. I don't use those bus things normally but had no choice. Went through some dubious places on my way to a dubious place. Was hopeful my bus had bulletproof glass.

Was good to see a lot of old faces and also meet some new ones. Saw Percival again for the first time in a couple of years. We've had a couple of online disagreements but having greeted each other with "little xxxxxx" and "lanky turdd" we got on fine. Divsdreams was a very nice chap. GSmith was very similar to how he is online.

Got stupid drunk and arrived home about 4am. Realised that sleep wasn't an immediate option and so went for a walk. Seems perfectly reasonable to do this in a tshirt and shorts when it's minus 3. Lived in Mickleover all my life. Realised after a while that I was lost. Thought I'd call a cab. No phone! 
    Got home somehow.

Watched Derby and went back to bed with a headache. Went back over to Dtd and immediately bumped into the wonderful Mrs Brom. She commiserated with me on Derbys fortunes this year and admitted that we're a far better team than Burnley

Played a little last night. Lost £200 :(

I'd do the "I'm not going to post for a while" thing but I'd end up looking foolish as normal. The forum is very addictive.
    Real life is rather grotty at the moment and I just may be slipping into grump mode again.

Right, table tennis time.

• edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man:
    Watched Derby and went back to bed with a headache. Went back over to Dtd and immediately bumped into the wonderful Mrs Brom. She commiserated with me on Derbys fortunes this year and admitted that we're a far better team than Burnley. Posted by Jac35

Sure. Let's go with this.

• edited March 2016
    I'm glad you had an enjoyable weekend Jac. It was good seeing you again, and I do hope I got my point across about online interpretation of messages and other things. I think we're quite similar in that we're not afraid to be "insulting" if it's warranted, without hurling abuse of course, and sometimes even the most constructive of messages can be misinterpreted, but anyway, I'm glad we cleared a few things up. And besides, I had no hard feelings whatsoever about anything and I hope I made that abundantly clear. I was drunk tho so who knows hehe
  • edited March 2016
    Decent start to the month 
    Won £45 last night in an hour playing dyms and tonight has gone well.

Played a few dyms early on and won £29.99.
    Played the single rebuy and came 7th for £60.50. That peasant Cpfc knocked me out. Said peasant won it in the end.
    Played the main and had the worst slowroll against me that I've ever seen. Then, that peasant Cpfc knocked me out.
    Played a Vegas micro sat and had an unfortunate temporary blip of forgetting how to play poker at all 
    Played the 7.30 £22 and came 3rd for £162 + £40.78 in heads.

Nice to quickly get Sundays losses back plus a bit.
    Pleased that the dyms are back on track as well. January was pretty terrible and I was down £528 at one point. Now only £33 down for the year at them and so heading in the right direction.
    Decided that as I'm fat I need to get fitter. 
    Buying a bike tomorrow. About 15 years since I rode a bike and so needed to do a bit of research. 
    Don't want to spend much. Calibre two two seems to be my best bet from Go Outdoors. Excellent reviews and down to only £329.99

If anyone knows of anything better for a similar price then please let me know, quickly.

• edited March 2016
    Decent start to the month  Won £45 last night in an hour playing dyms and tonight has gone well. Played a few dyms early on and won £29.99. Played the single rebuy and came 7th for £60.50. That peasant Cpfc knocked me out. Said peasant won it in the end. Played the main and had the worst slowroll against me that I've ever seen. Then, that peasant Cpfc knocked me out. Played a Vegas micro sat and had an unfortunate temporary blip of forgetting how to play poker at all  Played the 7.30 £22 and came 3rd for £162 + £40.78 in heads. Nice to quickly get Sundays losses back plus a bit. Pleased that the dyms are back on track as well. January was pretty terrible and I was down £528 at one point. Now only £33 down for the year at them and so heading in the right direction. .... Decided that as I'm fat I need to get fitter.  Buying a bike tomorrow. About 15 years since I rode a bike and so needed to do a bit of research.  Don't want to spend much. Calibre two two seems to be my best bet from Go Outdoors. Excellent reviews and down to only £329.99 If anyone knows of anything better for a similar price then please let me know, quickly.
    Posted by Jac35
    The bike I use doesn't cost anywhere near that much.
  • edited March 2016
    These are pretty good. http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/carrera-vulcan-mens-mountain-bike-2015
    Posted by MrJoeBlogs
    Thanks for that
    Between these two I think.
    Going to be mostly on the road so the calibre might just be edging it
  • edited March 2016
    There's an incredible diary on another forum that I read.

It's by a brilliant player who is making amazing  sums of money at poker. 
    He's a bit different as well. 
    His latest post is pure gold.

His chef took his meal to someone else by mistake. The he met the someone else for coffee and they're going to put an app out there that will make lots of money.

He sent his assistant out to buy a calendar, a green pen and a red pen.
    Reason being this will now allow him to mark on the calendar the days that he's been good in green and the days when he's been bad in red.

He's involved in a football team. He couldn't go to the last match but if he had they would have won so he's feeling a bit sad about that.

I thought that I could be random.
  • edited March 2016
    hope this comes out never posted a pic before.this bike is class
  • edited March 2016
    Enjoyed going over to Dtd on Friday and Saturday nights. Met up with some friends in Stapleford first on Friday. I don't use those bus things normally but had no choice. Went through some dubious places on my way to a dubious place. Was hopeful my bus had bulletproof glass. Was good to see a lot of old faces and also meet some new ones. Saw Percival again for the first time in a couple of years. We've had a couple of online disagreements but having greeted each other with "little xxxxxx" and "lanky turdd" we got on fine. Divsdreams was a very nice chap. GSmith was very similar to how he is online. Got stupid drunk and arrived home about 4am. Realised that sleep wasn't an immediate option and so went for a walk. Seems perfectly reasonable to do this in a tshirt and shorts when it's minus 3. Lived in Mickleover all my life. Realised after a while that I was lost. Thought I'd call a cab. No phone!  Got home somehow. Watched Derby and went back to bed with a headache. Went back over to Dtd and immediately bumped into the wonderful Mrs Brom. She commiserated with me on Derbys fortunes this year and admitted that we're a far better team than Burnley Played a little last night. Lost £200 :( I'd do the "I'm not going to post for a while" thing but I'd end up looking foolish as normal. The forum is very addictive. Real life is rather grotty at the moment and I just may be slipping into grump mode again. Right, table tennis time.
    Posted by Jac35

Glad you had a good time at DTD. Shame we didn't get a chance to have a drink, did you leave Fri night/early Sat?

I heard about the bolded bit. It's genuinely baffling (to me) why anyone would want to behave like that in a group full of such friendly, welcoming people.

• edited March 2016
    Decent start to the month  Won £45 last night in an hour playing dyms and tonight has gone well. Played a few dyms early on and won £29.99. Played the single rebuy and came 7th for £60.50. That peasant Cpfc knocked me out. Said peasant won it in the end. Played the main and had the worst slowroll against me that I've ever seen. Then, that peasant Cpfc knocked me out. Played a Vegas micro sat and had an unfortunate temporary blip of forgetting how to play poker at all  Played the 7.30 £22 and came 3rd for £162 + £40.78 in heads. Nice to quickly get Sundays losses back plus a bit. Pleased that the dyms are back on track as well. January was pretty terrible and I was down £528 at one point. Now only £33 down for the year at them and so heading in the right direction. .... Decided that as I'm fat I need to get fitter.  Buying a bike tomorrow. About 15 years since I rode a bike and so needed to do a bit of research.  Don't want to spend much. Calibre two two seems to be my best bet from Go Outdoors. Excellent reviews and down to only £329.99 If anyone knows of anything better for a similar price then please let me know, quickly.
    Posted by Jac35
    You had mentioned that you had work the next day, and I was only doing my best to ensure you had an early night.
  • edited March 2016
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : You had mentioned that you had work the next day, and I was only doing my best to ensure you had an early night.
    Posted by cpfc_2010
    Pardew 4 England.
  • edited March 2016
    hope this comes out never posted a pic before.this bike is class
    Posted by stokefc
    Cool bike Stoke 
  • edited March 2016
    Given that I spent half the weekend asleep, it was quite eventful by my usual standards.

With double points I started out with the intention of getting myself halfway to priority over the weekend on Friday night. By 9.00 I had moderated those ambitions to trying to avoid bankruptcy instead. Ran horribly in the early mtts and all the dyms. £190 down at that point.
    Then decided to one table the £55 9pm like a boss, and I ran great. Got a big stack and went fishheadchasing. (Quite possibly my favourite ever line on here was from Craig when he said something like
    "I don't like playing my Aunty, she's a big fishheadchaser"  Fishheadchasing is now very much part of my poker vocabulary.

Anyway, i digress.
    Made the final table and successfully fishheadchased v Matt8 and Solack and made straights both times. Both very good players and so was happy to see them gone. Huge chiplead with 4 left, I err, came 4th. A couple of big but correct laydowns I think on the river harmed my stack considerably and then I made a shoddy call against a shove and it was GG me. Still, very happy to make £330 from the game and an overall profit on the night. Poker can really mess with your head

I also got in a hump about something on Friday. I wish I could be more level headed at times and not take things to heart. I was wrong and luckily for me the 'villain" was understanding about how stupid I am.

Had no intention on going to the football on Saturday but my brother in law was ill and asked if I could take my nephew. We won but that's about it. Huddersfield could just as easily have won the game.

More droning to follow shortly. Better do some work for 20 minutes first

• edited March 2016
    Was going to collect bike on Saturday afternoon but the football put paid to that. Sunday was the new plan. Problem was, I didn't get up until 4pm in Sunday.

Saturday evening I went for a Mexican meal, which was fantastic. Came home, and then in began. I've been a bit rough for a well now with a cough and a sore throat. 11pm on Saturday and this has become knives in the back of my throat every single time I swallowed and uncontrollable coughing fits every 5 minutes. I real though that i was going to have to go to A&E. Woke up Sunday afternoon and the knives had blunted dramatically and the coughing had more or less disappeared. Weird. Sleep is underrated.

A mate gave me his best man speech to look over. He's extremely happy with it. There are plenty of 'pause for laughter' bits there.
    Awkward spot.
    I've read it and it's dreadful. He doesn't need those pauses.
    So what do I do? 
    Tell him if he does the speech as it is then he will look a tool?
    Let him do the speech as it is and let him be a tool?
    Now obviously he's not going to be happy to be told about the forthcoming tooldom, but I think I have to help him avoid the toolishness problem.
    Hopefully he'll take it well.

Enjoying new Better Call Saul
    4 episodes in to the new House of Cards which I love as well.
    Why do they release whole series with some things and do one at a time with others?
  • edited March 2016
    Was going to collect bike on Saturday afternoon but the football put paid to that. Sunday was the new plan. Problem was, I didn't get up until 4pm in Sunday. Saturday evening I went for a Mexican meal, which was fantastic. Came home, and then in began. I've been a bit rough for a well now with a cough and a sore throat. 11pm on Saturday and this has become knives in the back of my throat every single time I swallowed and uncontrollable coughing fits every 5 minutes. I real though that i was going to have to go to A&E. Woke up Sunday afternoon and the knives had blunted dramatically and the coughing had more or less disappeared. Weird. Sleep is underrated. A mate gave me his best man speech to look over. He's extremely happy with it. There are plenty of 'pause for laughter' bits there. Awkward spot. I've read it and it's dreadful. He doesn't need those pauses. So what do I do?  Tell him if he does the speech as it is then he will look a tool? Let him do the speech as it is and let him be a tool? Now obviously he's not going to be happy to be told about the forthcoming tooldom, but I think I have to help him avoid the toolishness problem. Hopefully he'll take it well. Enjoying new Better Call Saul 4 episodes in to the new House of Cards which I love as well. Why do they release whole series with some things and do one at a time with others?
    Posted by Jac35

Tell him, but use your soothing way with words.

He needs to be told, & he might get upset, but eventually, he'll understand, unless he is really stupid. 
  • edited March 2016
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Tell him, but use your soothing way with words.   He needs to be told, & he might get upset, but eventually, he'll understand, unless he is really stupid. 
    Posted by Tikay10
    You're so annoying :)

But a decent old chap really I guess 
  • edited March 2016
    Was going to collect bike on Saturday afternoon but the football put paid to that. Sunday was the new plan. Problem was, I didn't get up until 4pm in Sunday. Saturday evening I went for a Mexican meal, which was fantastic. Came home, and then in began. I've been a bit rough for a well now with a cough and a sore throat. 11pm on Saturday and this has become knives in the back of my throat every single time I swallowed and uncontrollable coughing fits every 5 minutes. I real though that i was going to have to go to A&E. Woke up Sunday afternoon and the knives had blunted dramatically and the coughing had more or less disappeared. Weird. Sleep is underrated. A mate gave me his best man speech to look over. He's extremely happy with it. There are plenty of 'pause for laughter' bits there. Awkward spot. I've read it and it's dreadful. He doesn't need those pauses. So what do I do?  Tell him if he does the speech as it is then he will look a tool? Let him do the speech as it is and let him be a tool? Now obviously he's not going to be happy to be told about the forthcoming tooldom, but I think I have to help him avoid the toolishness problem. Hopefully he'll take it well. Enjoying new Better Call Saul 4 episodes in to the new House of Cards which I love as well. Why do they release whole series with some things and do one at a time with others?
    Posted by Jac35
    Tell him! He's given it to you for this very purpose, it's easy to get skewed when you're reading your own writing over and over. Try to be constructive but definitely don't hold back on the really bad bits, he'll thank you later :)

• edited March 2016
    Does he want me to write it for him?

*Pause for reply*.....
  • edited March 2016
    Does he want me to write it for him? *Pause for reply*.....
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    and isn't that the real conundrum? 

you tell him and he'll probably say

OK smarty pants  (well he'll probably not say that but you'll all know what he means)

What would you say? 

Now I'm assuming you don't want to rewrite it for him, even with harrys help, but maybe you should pick the most cringe worthy section and have some ideas for improvement. That way you'll have given him a steer as to how to sharpen it up without laying into the whole thing and then it's up to him if he wants to take the advice but your conscience will be clear without him thinking you're a total ar***ole.

I can't remember if I ever showed my proposed best man speeches to anyone else. Does sound even scarier than writing them in the first place. Maybe I was even worse than your mate, but at least no one has ever told me that (they must be so diplomatic).
  • edited March 2016
    I was going to put in a lot of volume this month but I haven't been arsedd to do it so far.
    I played a bit on Wednesday and came 13th in the mini. Also played my first Vegas quarter and got through to tonight's semi.

Last night was ok. Cashed in the £22bh but bust most other stuff. 
    Thought I'd play a few dyms and won 8/9 for a nice little profit. I still had the megastack going. Never normally play it but thought I'd have a bash. Managed to get heads up against a very creative and maybe speculative opponent. Won a big hand and had over a million chips against his 83k. Didn't win :)
    Last hand was fun. We were about level in chips. He opened and I shoved KQdd. He snapped with 74. Gg me :)
    Just in case I somehow qualified for Vegas I booked the same weeks off again as last year. Annual leave is a nightmare at work and all the summer months go very quickly and then that's it. 
    Sky have kindly taken the weed forward by a fortnight!
    I'd find a way somehow if I did get there I guess :)
    Bought me bike. 
    Cycled into work yesterday. That bits fine. Work is about 4 miles away and all downhill. Not quite so good coming home. Quite enjoying it though. Might get less fat in time.
    Off work now until next Thursday and so might get a bit more poker in.

• edited March 2016
    Might get less fat in time. .... Off work now until next Thursday and so might get a bit more poker in.
    Posted by Jac35

...and a bit of cycling?  ;-)
  • edited March 2016
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : ...and a bit of cycling?  ;-)
    Posted by Glenelg
    That's what I meant :)
  • edited March 2016
    Mighty Rams
    3-0 up with 7 minutes to go.
    It takes a special kind of team to not win from there 
  • edited March 2016
    At least the players sti have faith in the manager. (Bromleys in particular may enjoy this)

• edited March 2016
    At least the players sti have faith in the manager. (Bromleys in particular may enjoy this) http://youtu.be/yAl868pX77Q
    Posted by Jac35

We have Keane and Mee at CB. With Tarkowski as cover.

Jason Shackell is throwing away a three goal lead at Rotherham.

We have decided you're welcome to him!

UTC

• edited March 2016
    Played the £30 rebuy tonight 
    Came 2nd last time I played a couple of weeks ago.
    Went one better tonight and managed a win. £775

Sigh 
    Gave £147 back at cash but nevermind, still a fun night
  • edited March 2016
    Excellent, well played Paul. I guess looking up my stats gave you something to aim for ;)
    What are you going to do with all this hard earned cash? New bell for the push bike perchance? Seriously though, be careful on the roads, drivers are notorious for ignoring push bikes. Regards to Penny and Harry,tc.
  • edited March 2016
    Excellent, well played Paul. I guess looking up my stats gave you something to aim for ;) What are you going to do with all this hard earned cash? New bell for the push bike perchance? Seriously though, be careful on the roads, drivers are notorious for ignoring push bikes. Regards to Penny and Harry,tc.
    Posted by tomgoodun
    Buy a camera for your helmet :-)