You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Get in the Hole! 2017 Season!

Comments

• edited August 2015
    Well Mr. Ice, between us we have a strong hand going into the weekend at the Czech Masters.

Not so at The Barclays, faint hope of Kooooch putting together a low round to get into contention, but a bogey on the second and currently tied 67th is not looking good.

I've add Jason Dufner ew first 4 at 33/1

Good Luck
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2015 Season! (The Barclays + Czech Masters):
    Well Mr. Ice, between us we have a strong hand going into the weekend at the Czech Masters. Not so at The Barclays, faint hope of Kooooch putting together a low round to get into contention, but a bogey on the second and currently tied 67th is not looking good. I've add Jason Dufner ew first 4 at 33/1 Good Luck
    Posted by TheDart
    Is it wrong to get excitied with four players in the top twelve with an 80/1 player one shot off the lead? Shame I deserted Fitzpatrick this week or it could have been five in the top twelve. Particularly impressed with Pepperill yesterday but needs two more low rounds.
  • edited August 2015
    Messing my pants with Thomas Pieters atm.
  • edited August 2015
    Pieters wins at 80/1

Kakko tied 5th at 66/1

Good Weekend!
  • edited August 2015
    Great tipping Darty. Well done.
  • edited August 2015
    Great tipping Darty. Well done.
  • edited August 2015

Nice one guys.

• edited August 2015
    Great stuff guys!
  • edited August 2015
    Thanks guys, that turned out nicely didn't it :-)
  • edited August 2015
    Thanks for the lead Darty.

It is the fourth time I have backed Pieters. Doubt we will get 80/1 again in a field like this.
  • edited September 2015
    Been looking at the Deutsche Bank for this weekend.

Very hard to see beyond Jason Day, who was awesome last week so will be going with him. Was also thinking Justin Rose but have decided to give him a pass this week. I was hoping for 70/1+ to go with Paul Casey but maybe another time. Hoping that Speith & McIlroy will be concentrating on each other too much & allow someone else in here.

I have gone with:

Jason Day 13/2 (Paddy Power)
    Henrik Stenson 16/1 (Coral)
    Robert Streb 60/1 (Paddy Power)
    Russell Henley 75/1 (Bet365)
    Ryan Palmer 90/1 (Paddy Power)
    Steven Bowditch 150/1 (Bet Victor)
    Bryce Molder 250/1 (SKY Bet)

Think that gives me a good portfolio although inevitably I will find another couple I want to add before Friday.
  • edited September 2015
    There is a weak field for the Russian Open & I was hoping to see 25/1 for Bradley Dredge but can't go at 16/1.

Have to take on Kieffer. The question is who will be the one. I have picked three for now & may add another tomorrow.

Robert Dinwiddie 20/1 (General)
    Craig Lee 40/1 (Coral)
    Simon Wakefield 150/1 (SKY Bet)

Was really impressed with Dinwiddie last week & if he plays as well this week, he will be very close. Lee tends to do well on shorter courses so could get in the frame. Wakefield is a bit of a punt really but in this field, he might just get there if he can put together four good rounds.

• edited September 2015

After a very rewarding week last week, I'm really disappointed with the prospect of these two events.

From A betting point of view I can't get too excited about either event, the Russian Open for its very weak field and the unknown of a new course and Deutsche Bank for the opposite but equally frustrating feel, with a high quality field, plenty of course form all of which suggests that the cream and hence the poorly priced market leaders should rise to the top.

But for sake of having an interest on a Thursday and Friday, l have made small investments in.....

Russian Open

Paul Peterson - 66/1, youngish American who managed five top 5's on the Asian Tour last year and is ranked 9th on the order of merit this year.

Jazz Janewattananond - 80/1, 19 year old Thai player of much promise. Opened with a 65 at the European Masters last month, he has some good results on the Asian Tour. He is only going to get better, probably has more potential than most when it comes to winning a golf tournament on the European Tour.

Jaco Ahlers - 100/1, He has won twice on the Sunshine Tour over the last 12 months, so gets a tentative pick as a golfer who is a proven multiple winner and there aren't many of those in the field this week.

• edited September 2015
    Deutsche Bank Open

Henrik Stenson - 16/1,
    Henrik is former course winner is a decent alternative with reasonable value compared to the 3 number 1 ranking contenders.

Brendan Steele - 150/1, he has a top 10 finish here in 20111 and has shot plenty of rounds in the 60's around here, I've also taken 4/1 on a top 20 finish for Brendan Steele.

David Hearn - 200/1, I have to confess if I think about it too long, David Hearn in this field doesn't look to be too clever a pick. But if I don't think about it too much, David Hearn is having his best year to date, he has 4 tops 10's including a play off loss and 3rd place finish at his native Canadian Open.
  • edited September 2015
    The next two names on my list for the Russian were Hoey & Janewattananond so with you having him in your three, I feel I have to add him at 80/1.
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2015 Season! (Deutsche Bank + Russian Open):
    There is a weak field for the Russian Open & I was hoping to see 25/1 for Bradley Dredge but can't go at 16/1. Have to take on Kieffer. The question is who will be the one. I have picked three for now & may add another tomorrow. Robert Dinwiddie 20/1 (General) Craig Lee 40/1 (Coral) Simon Wakefield 150/1 (SKY Bet) Was really impressed with Dinwiddie last week & if he plays as well this week, he will be very close. Lee tends to do well on shorter courses so could get in the frame. Wakefield is a bit of a punt really but in this field, he might just get there if he can put together four good rounds.
    Posted by Ice_Tiger
    Had a great run from Craig Lee, who missed a place by one shot and winning by four. He missed too many putts inside ten foot on the final round and a terrible approach on the 15th turned a likely birdie (to be one off the lead) into a bogey.

A good run at 40/1 and one to watch for in a weak field on a course like this. Now over to Henrik Stenson!
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2015 Season! (Deutsche Bank + Russian Open):
    Been looking at the Deutsche Bank for this weekend. Very hard to see beyond Jason Day, who was awesome last week so will be going with him. Was also thinking Justin Rose but have decided to give him a pass this week. I was hoping for 70/1+ to go with Paul Casey but maybe another time. Hoping that Speith & McIlroy will be concentrating on each other too much & allow someone else in here. I have gone with: Jason Day 13/2 (Paddy Power) Henrik Stenson 16/1 (Coral) Robert Streb 60/1 (Paddy Power) Russell Henley 75/1 (Bet365) Ryan Palmer 90/1 (Paddy Power) Steven Bowditch 150/1 (Bet Victor) Bryce Molder 250/1 (SKY Bet) Think that gives me a good portfolio although inevitably I will find another couple I want to add before Friday.
    Posted by Ice_Tiger
    Stenson was an unlucky second after dominating the tournament so a bit disappointing.
  • edited September 2015
    KLM Open - Kennemer Golf & Country Club

A stronger field than in recent weeks with Martin Kaymer as a 10/1 favourite. I am looking to take him on with four reasonably priced players.

Joost Luiten 20/1 (General) The local favourite and has finished first and fifth since the event moved to this course. Got a 4th place at the Scottish in July but on his favourite course, he should go close.

David Horsey 50/1 (Bet365) Another player who comes alive in this event with three top ten finishes in the last six years. Bang in form as well with a 3rd last week in the Russian Open and winning in Denmark two weeks before that.

Miguel Angel Jininez 50/1 (General) There is a name that I didn't think I would be including in this thread. MAJ picks his tournaments now as he flirts with the Seniors Tour but this is one of his favourites. He has three top ten finishes in his last five attempts including a 2nd two years ago. Three Top Six finishes on the European Tour this season shows he can still mix it with the best so 50/1 is value in my eyes.

Thomas Pieters 75/1 (Bet365) It is hard to know how a player will react to his first win but at 75/1, I am prepared to go again with Pieters after his impressive win in the Czech Masters ten days ago. He might miss the cut but he might also blow the field away with his new found confidence.

A few others that came into my thinking were Andy Sullivan 33/1, Eddie Pepperill 33/1, Tyrell Hatton 28/1, Gregory Havret 80/1, Johan Carlsson 150/1 & Oliver Fisher 200/1. Hope none of them go close.
  • edited September 2015
    Well after cleverly telling my son to blow a freebet (after round 1) on Richie Fowler (but not backing him myself). This week I've told him to blow another free bet on Richie Ransay each way.
  • edited September 2015
    KLM Open

We are always looking for players who tick boxes, clearly Joost Luiten ticks a whole load of boxes this week and there is no obvious reason why he shouldn't be backed, even at 20/1. As for me, I've always had a weakness for ignoring the obvious, so as a few alternatives to Kaymer and local favorite Luiten, I'm on:

Tommy Fleetwood - 40/1, was having a great season until a disappointing missed cut at The Open, missed the cut in the next two events he played, which means he hasn't played 4 rounds since the Scottish Open in early July.

If well rested and fresh as opposed to rusty, he has the game to suit this course and the skills set to cope with the wind.

Richie Ramsay - 33/1, players who do well at the Trophy Hassan II event, seem to do well here, Ramsay won in Morocco this year, he's having a very good season and looks a decent bet this week.

Chris Wood  50/1, another player to fit the profile of a likely winner around here. Not played that much recently but if he starts well he could well be in the mix come Sunday afternoon.

Thomas Pieters - 75/1, Ice Tiger sums up my own reasoning perfectly. The one major concern I have is that on a course where errant drives can find trouble and lead to drop shots, Pieters is one of only 8 players on tour who has hit the fairway with less than 50% of his drives this season.

Alejandro Canizares - 80/1, On seeing the tee times, all 4 of my picks are in the afternoon side of the draw. This is an event where the weather can be a factor, with one side of the draw sometimes getting 'the luck of the draw'.

So I wanted to take one player from the morning starters and have stuck with the Morocco theme as Canizares won that event in 2014, he's shown a bit of form recently, the risk is he has always been a bit of a hit and miss player, but if he's on his game this week, conditions should suit and at 80/1 could be good value.

With the early tee time I'm also taking the 70/1 for FRL.

Good Luck All
  • edited September 2015
    Going to add Tommy Fleetwood to my list. Got 35/1 with Bet365.

Think he is playing with Pieters this afternoon so should be good to watch the contrast in styles.

• edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2015 Season! (KLM Open):
    Going to add Tommy Fleetwood to my list. Got 35/1 with Bet365. Think he is playing with Pieters this afternoon so should be good to watch the contrast in styles.
    Posted by Ice_Tiger
    Uggh! On this occasion I wish you hadn't joined me.

With an opening triple bogey, its clearly the rusty version of Tommy Fleetwood as opposed to the well rested and fresh version.

Can't see Fleetwood even making the cut now.

At least Pieters appears to have brought his good form to Holland and luckily for you, Mr. Ice so has David Horsey.

I'd also add that after posting my picks, I half addressed my achilles heel of ignoring the obvious and had a saver on Joost Luiten at 20/1, just enough to ensure I get my money back and freeroll next week, if he should win.

Long way to go yet though.
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2015 Season! (KLM Open):
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2015 Season! (KLM Open) : Uggh! On this occasion I wish you hadn't joined me. With an opening triple bogey, its clearly the rusty version of Tommy Fleetwood as opposed to the well rested and fresh version. Can't see Fleetwood even making the cut now. At least Pieters appears to have brought his good form to Holland and luckily for you, Mr. Ice so has David Horsey. I'd also add that after posting my picks, I half addressed my achilles heel of ignoring the obvious and had a saver on Joost Luiten at 20/1 , just enough to ensure I get my money back and freeroll next week, if he should win. Long way to go yet though.
    Posted by TheDart
    More than happy with Luiten & HorseyTied 4th on -7, two off the lead. Clearly the morning players had the best of the weather so it could turn around tomorrow if the wind gets up in the afternoon.
  • edited September 2015
    Pieters aside my 4 remaining picks are all 10 shots off the lead and more than likely missing the cut, drastic measures have been taken.

Estanisiao Goya - 50/1, half decent course form, good record in the wind including a win, a sudden return to form last week with a second place finish, good start yesterday.

Andy Sullivan - 22/1, seven shots of the lead but quality player, enough said.
  • edited September 2015
    KLM Open - Kennemer Golf & Country Club A stronger field than in recent weeks with Martin Kaymer as a 10/1 favourite. I am looking to take him on with four reasonably priced players. Joost Luiten 20/1 (General)  The local favourite and has finished first and fifth since the event moved to this course. Got a 4th place at the Scottish in July but on his favourite course, he should go close. David Horsey 50/1 (Bet365)  Another player who comes alive in this event with three top ten finishes in the last six years. Bang in form as well with a 3rd last week in the Russian Open and winning in Denmark two weeks before that. Miguel Angel Jininez 50/1 (General)  There is a name that I didn't think I would be including in this thread. MAJ picks his tournaments now as he flirts with the Seniors Tour but this is one of his favourites. He has three top ten finishes in his last five attempts including a 2nd two years ago. Three Top Six finishes on the European Tour this season shows he can still mix it with the best so 50/1 is value in my eyes. Thomas Pieters 75/1 (Bet365)  It is hard to know how a player will react to his first win but at 75/1, I am prepared to go again with Pieters after his impressive win in the Czech Masters ten days ago. He might miss the cut but he might also blow the field away with his new found confidence. A few others that came into my thinking were Andy Sullivan 33/1, Eddie Pepperill 33/1, Tyrell Hatton 28/1, Gregory Havret 80/1, Johan Carlsson 150/1 & Oliver Fisher 200/1. Hope none of them go close.
    Posted by Ice_Tiger
    SHHAKALAKABOOMBOOM!!!!

It's Thomas Pieters Day again!!!!!!

Guess we won't be getting 75/1 again.
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2015 Season! (Deutsche Bank + Russian Open) : SHHAKALAKABOOMBOOM!!!! It's Thomas Pieters Day again!!!!!! Guess we won't be getting 75/1 again.
    Posted by Ice_Tiger

I liked Thomas Pieters a lot, I like him even more now :-)

The best price of 75/1 lured me in for the second win as much as anything , I'm sure the bookies will not be so generous next time out.

Well done Ice, lets keep this going.

• edited September 2015
    well done lads...again!
  • edited September 2015

Going to be busy with work for the next couple of days so had to get in early this week.

BMW Championship

Another play off event that switches courses, with 2013 being the one time they previously played here.

Not too far from Whistling straits, the course is said to been designed as links style course and looking at 2013, you can see a number of links and wind players faired well.

Zach Johnson - 28/1, if you skip by the obvious chances of Day, Stenson, Rory, Spieth, Fowler etc, the most obvious value bet has to be Zach Johnson. He won the event on this course in 2013, he's the reigning Open champion.

Louis Oosthuizen - 50/1, Louis was absent in 2013 but I'd imagine this course and conditions would be perfect for him.

Paul Casey - 66/1, Having a great season and as with Louis you would imagine this course and conditions will be ideal for Paul Casey.

Russell Knox - 100/1, in 2013 it was noticeable that ball strikers as opposed to grip it and rip it players did particularly well, Furyk shot a 59 and Kuchar a 61, both should do well again, but at 2-3 times the price I think Knox is worth a shot. He's another player who has had a very good season and is still improving.

• edited September 2015
    72 Open DItalia

No course form to go on and this early inn the week, I've not come across any useful inside info, which means I've had to try and work out the right time of profile myself.

I've decided that we are looking for good ball strikers, with accuracy tee to green and also ruled out players that are not blessed with great length of the tee.

Danny Willett springs to mind but then again with my R2D investment he springs to mind every week. First week back and priced at just 14/1, I cant back him this week but wont be too miffed if he should win.

Matthew Fitzpatrick - 25/1, unusually inconsistent week in Holland for Fitz, he threw in a 60 with 3 very mixed bags.

With young players it doesn't take much to fix what ever is broke, so I fully expect him to be hitting plenty of fairways and greens in regulation this week. Close to that first win and a new course for everyone is a great leveler for Fitzpatrick.

Tommy Fleetwood - 50/1, his first round back last week was full of rust, cobwebs and cow dung. His second round was much better but he missed the cut by one.

I'm trusting he didn't waste his weekend off, as at his best in this field he has a decent chance and 50/1 represents very good value.

Alexander Levy - 50/1, sometimes I get suckered in by the price, Levy at 50/1 is such an occasion. He's well rested which can work either way, at 50/1 I think he's worth a speculative each way tipple.

Kristoffer Broberg - 66/1, time to have another go with Mr. Broberg. I think he's continued to play well and he would fall into the category of not being far a way from a really big week. If ball striking and accuracy tee to green is at a premium this week, he won't let you down.
  • edited September 2015
    Italian Open

Danny Willett 14/1 (General)

The price might be a little skinny as he hasn't been active recently but for me he is the class act in the field. If he gets a decent start, he will go very close.

Matt Fitzpatrick 28/1 (Betfred)

Continuing my bias towards players from Sheffield, I have to side with Fitzpatrick. His 60 last week showed what he is capable of and he will put four top rounds together soon. He has had a top three finish in each of the last three months. Like with Pieters, I want to be with him when it happens.

Eddie Pepperell 28/1 (Paddy Power)

Another bright young thing that has been knocking on the door for months. 2nd at Dubai in May, 4th at Scottish Open in July then 5th last week at the Dutch. If he can keep his mind on the golf then this could be his week.

Rafael Cabrera Bello 33/1 (Bet Victor)

Quite a few times I have found my players up against RCB in the final stages this season and while he has a tendancy to falter on a Sunday when well placed, I cannot help but think this guy is going to win soon.

Robert Dinwiddie 100/1 (General)

I backed Dinwiddie at the Czech Masters where he finished 4th after a poor final round. He is starting to be more consistent. His last 20 rounds are 70-68-71-63-70-70-67-69-69-67-68-70-73-69-68-69-67-70-70-62. His final round 62 last Sunday may have gone under the bookies radar but gave him a fifth consecutive top thirty finish.

Tommy Fleetwood is appealing at 50/1 but he has let me down too often & I want to see more before I go with him again.