You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Get in the Hole! 2017 Season!

Comments

• edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2014 Season! (Phoenix Open + Dubai Classic):
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2014 Season! (Phoenix Open + Dubai Classic) : Yes that was v unlucky for u Charles. It looked like it actually dipped beneath the hole and then it was spat back out. U tried qualifying for the UKPC yet? I snook a seat last night. And gg last night Darty, wd on your cash. I got 45k in pre flop with kk against big stacks 99. Flop came 6,7,10..... Yep u know it, 8 on the turn. 27th sigh.....
    Posted by joesman1
    I had a little go last month, but I've left it now. I'm not overly fussed on qualifying to be honest. It's a great tournament, and would be by far the biggest I'd of played in, but I seem to be so poor playing live! I seem to sit there nice and tight, then find myself getting bored and wanting to get involved, then 3 barrell bluff a hand and get called by 3rd pair or something crazy when I've not played a hand for an hour! When it gets last chance saloon and there is loads of overlay then I might start having a go again.
  • edited February 2014
    On a more positive note, just noticed I came 194th last week in the fantasy R2D. Next step a top 10!
  • edited February 2014
    I got a lot of free time on Mondays, so I've had a look through and tried to pick out some big prices. I probably should of waited and gone for these top 20 rather than just e/w, but who knows...

Graham Van Der Merwe 1000/1 - Home course, and came T8 at the Tshwane Open last year.

Adilson Da Silva - 150/1 - Made a name for himself last year. We don't see much of him as he plays on the Sunshine tour, but everyone had him at 80/1 so 150/1 was worth a quid e/w

Jake Roos - 500/1 - T23 last time out in SA, also got a T10 at the Tshwane last year.

My main bet will be George Coetzee, He seems to be back to form with a T4 and T5 last 2 starts, didn't play last week so will of had time to prepare.

It's a poor field this week, and with many of them coming over from Dubai, which is about a 15hr flight according to my research, there is a great chance for some unknowns to make a name for themselves.
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2014 Season! (Phoenix Open + Dubai Classic):
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2014 Season! (Phoenix Open + Dubai Classic) : Shut up man... U know I jest lol....
    Posted by joesman1
    iknow u do so do i lol
  • edited February 2014
    Poker first, unlucky last night Neil, you were going well for so long, certainly kept me on my toes whilst we shared the same table for want must have been well over an hour.

I had a tough battle on the bubble, there was a lot of agro play on our table and I survived an all in with my AJ shove preflop being called when I was short stack, thankfully got the double up and went out in 15th when I shoved a AQ suited against the blinds, sb instantly called with pocket aces and this time they held!

Golf from last night, brought another return from DeLeat, could anyone ever back Bubba with confidence again?

Very unlucky Neil and Flash with Ryan Moore and shame Steele also came up short.
  • edited February 2014
    I got a lot of free time on Mondays, so I've had a look through and tried to pick out some big prices. I probably should of waited and gone for these top 20 rather than just e/w, but who knows... Graham Van Der Merwe 1000/1 - Home course, and came T8 at the Tshwane Open last year. Adilson Da Silva - 150/1 - Made a name for himself last year. We don't see much of him as he plays on the Sunshine tour, but everyone had him at 80/1 so 150/1 was worth a quid e/w Jake Roos - 500/1 - T23 last time out in SA, also got a T10 at the Tshwane last year. My main bet will be George Coetzee, He seems to be back to form with a T4 and T5 last 2 starts, didn't play last week so will of had time to prepare. It's a poor field this week, and with many of them coming over from Dubai, which is about a 15hr flight according to my research, there is a great chance for some unknowns to make a name for themselves.
    Posted by FlashFlush
    I'll watch your outsider picks with interest.

I did a quick bit of research yesterday and agree its a weak field and George Coetzee should be the man this week, but after so many near misses I am not sure I can bring myself to back him this week at what will be short odds.

May I humbly point out that your research into golf form is much better than your research into flight times :)

Dubai - Johannesburg will be more like 8 hours ( 15 hours from England with a change of flight in Dubai)  and for most of those travelling down I'm sure they'll be in business or first class, which on an Emirates flight will be no inconvenience at all for the 'names' that are moving from Dubai to SA.

Still historically this tournament does seem to favor the locals and I'm sure there'll be a few 'unknowns' up there this week.

Good Luck!

• edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2014 Season! (Phoenix Open + Dubai Classic) : I'll watch your outsider picks with interest. I did a quick bit of research yesterday and agree its a weak field and George Coetzee should be the man this week, but after so many near misses I am not sure I can bring myself to back him this week at what will be short odds. May I humbly point out that your research into golf form is much better than your research into flight times :)Dubai - Johannesburg will be more like 8 hours ( 15 hours from England with a change of flight in Dubai)  and for most of those travelling down I'm sure they'll be in business or first class, which on an Emirates flight will be no inconvenience at all for the 'names' that are moving from Dubai to SA. Still historically this tournament does seem to favor the locals and I'm sure there'll be a few 'unknowns' up there this week. Good Luck!  
    Posted by TheDart
    I did think that was a bit odd. I think I looked on Skyscanner, and nearly every flight out was at least 15hrs if not longer, but a return flight was somehow 7 or 8 hours... Agreed a lot of them will be first class and all that, but tournaments in SA do always seem to favour SA players for some reason. I imagine SA is a lot different to Dubai, and although golf is golf I just think it's like a whole different world for the players that played this week.

That said, I'm probably just thinking too deep into it. lol
  • edited February 2014
    I don't know if it's just me, but a lot of prices on the weekly golf events  seem to be snapped up much quicker than they used to be?

My early research was leading me towards players with high GIR stats as I think the players who are more accurate this week may have an advantage, but with best prices being snapped up, I've put the in depth research on hold and backed a couple of players I had already shortlisted this week:

Joburg Open

Danny Willett - 33/1, A favorite of mine and this year I'm trying to be selective when I back my favorites. Willett has never particularly played well or scored well on the Desert swing, so I've been encouraged that in 12 rounds, he managed to record the days lowest round on 2 occasions, once in Abu Dhabi and last week in Dubai.

His form in South Africa is much better, including a tied 9th in December last year and perhaps more significantly a tied 4th at this event in 2010.

Arguably comes to this years event in better form than previous years, looks good value at 33/1 and would possibly be half the price if he was South African.

Dawie Van Der Walt - 60/1, lightly raced two time winner on the tour, both victories coming on home soil in South Africa.  He put in some good performances playing the Desert Swing for the first time, including tied 9th in Qatar, so he must be feeling good about his game. Back home this week at a venue where he has finished tied 3rd. I missed the initial 66/1 and I doubt very much 60/1 will be on offer for very long.
  • edited February 2014
    On a more positive note, just noticed I came 194th last week in the fantasy R2D. Next step a top 10!
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Good effort Flash, nice to see you are giving me a bit of competition this year ;)

I've been very cagey and uncreative with my picks so far this season, I need to get back to mixing it up a bit and picking a few long shots.
  • edited February 2014
    Was my 30th on Saturday and brother and law had his first kid late sunday night so haven't had a chance to check up on how everyone got on! Looks like a missed quite a bit!

Congrats Neil on Gallagher - im sure that was a bit of a sweat lol way out of my league.

I basically bubbled all my bets - Bradley just missed out on frl, Olesen might has well have missed out and moore with that annoying lip out ont he 18th.

This weeks tournaments really have me stumped. The favourites are very short and everyone else just seems like too much of a punt. Anyway I think I'm going with (waiting for any price boosts before I place them):

Joburg

Thomas Aiken 18/1 £2 ew
    Soren Hansen 66/1 £1 ew
    Keith Horne 125/1 £1 ew
    James Kingston 125/1 £1 ew

Prob gonna FRL a few SA's in this one because seems to be good value lower down the field

AT&T

Gmac 28/1 £5 free bet
    Every 66/1 £1 ew
    Palmer 50/1 £1 ew

Don't feel confident about anyone in the both fields this week got a feeling two shock results on the cards but no idea who it might be lol 
    -----------

Season Profit/Loss

Profit £86.94
    Wins: 2
    Places: 11
    Settled bets: 38
    Bets in play: 7
  • edited February 2014
    I agree with JD on the feeling there will be some surprise winners this week. Or at least surprise top 5's. In Joburg, I don't think anyone can argue that Charl is a lot better than the rest of the field, but he hasn't been firing on all cylinders this season. He already has a win and a couple of high finishes which just shows how good he is considering he isn't 100%. I'm backing Coetzee like I said, but agree he is a bit of a bottler, surely that can't last forever. However if those 2 do fail it really opens the door... I have already mentioned some of my picks, but I've added some more courtest of JD's form sheet...

George Coetzee
    Dawie Van Der Valt
    David Drysdale
    Adilson Da Silva
    Tyrone Mordt
    Jake Roos
    Graham Van Der Merwe

If none of those place (To be fair that's quite likely) It could be an expensive week!

In the AT&T, I generally find these long running tournaments with a big history always seem to be won by veterans/experienced players/proven winners. So on that theory, I have gone for...

Jason Day
    Freddie Jacobsen
    Jimmy Walker
    Aaron Baddeley
    Retief Goosen

I have also added a lot of these in as doubles (Not my 1000/1 and 500/1 shots though)

I've done the maths, and I'm in for £71, that's a mixture of singles, doubles and top 20's. So fingers crossed. Not sure why I've spread bet so much this week, I suppose that's what happens when you have too much spare time!
  • edited February 2014

Just looking at JD's spreadsheet for Joburg and it really does show what a strong hand the leading South Africans hold this week.

The first four in the betting, Charl Schwartzel, George Coetzee, Richard Sterne and Thomas Aitken have the course form locked up between them and it's difficult not to imagine 3 if not all 4 finishing top 5 this week.

Which leaves one place for Danny Willett or Dawie Van Der walt!

So I'm not convinced there's a lot of room for a surprise winner this week, then again I will join the challenge of a 'scatter gun' strategy and pick a few lively outsiders myself.

I'm thinking a few bets on top 20 finishes might be the way to go this week.

With the first round being played on two courses will there be any first round leader markets?

Edit: Just see there are first round leader markets for both courses, so maybe a few singles and doubles is the way to go this week.

• edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2014 Season! (AT&T Pebble + Joburg Open):
    Just looking at JD's spreadsheet for Joburg and it really does show what a strong hand the leading South Africans hold this week. The first four in the betting, Charl Schwartzel, George Coetzee, Richard Sterne and Thomas Aitken have the course form locked up between them and it's difficult not to imagine 3 if not all 4 finishing top 5 this week. Which leaves one place for Danny Willett or Dawie Van Der walt! So I'm not convinced there's a lot of room for a surprise winner this week, then again I will join the challenge of a 'scatter gun' strategy and pick a few lively outsiders myself. I'm thinking a few bets on top 20 finishes might be the way to go this week. With the first round being played on two courses will there be any first round leader markets?
    Posted by TheDart
    just odds for both courses

http://www.skybet.com/golf/joburg-open/betType/end-of-round-leader
  • edited February 2014

Bored - FRL's done

James Kingston,      Round 1 Leader - East    50/1

Michiel Bothma        Round 1 Leader - East    150/1

Estanislao Goya       Round 1 Leader - East    66/1

Ulrich Van Den Berg  Round 1 Leader - West   66/1
    Keith Horne             Round 1 Leader - West   50/1

Robert-Jan Derksen Round 1 Leader - West    50/1

22p (X18) ew doubles. Basically all stabs in the dark  

--------------

Season Profit/Loss

Profit £70.98
    Wins: 2
    Places: 11
    Settled bets: 38
    Bets in play: 8

• edited February 2014
    I can't let Gorgeous George go in such a weak field, given his form since his return from injury. Stupid/slack me let the early 14's go. So it's 11/1 grrrrr. Also doing him in an ew double with DJ in the USA 11/1 & 12/1. 

Also backing Sterne 18/1 win only in SA.... And Watney 50/1 ew in USA. 

Gl all
  • edited February 2014
    Father V.... I remember u backed Sterne last year... Hope u on him again.....
  • edited February 2014
    Father V.... I remember u backed Sterne last year... Hope u on him again.....
    Posted by joesman1
    not on anybody at mo, will look tomoz
  • edited February 2014
    I wont mess your Sterne bet up Neil, cant see him winning it two years running. so now he will!!!!

I have gone for

Aiken 20-1

and Elson 100-1 , he finished 2nd in 2012 and 4th 2011.

AT & T

Jimmy Walker 20-1
    Aaron Baddeley 90-1
  • edited February 2014
    I wont mess your Sterne bet up Neil, cant see him winning it two years running. so now he will!!!! I have gone for Aiken 20-1 and Elson 100-1 , he finished 2nd in 2012 and 4th 2011. AT & T Jimmy Walker 20-1 Aaron Baddeley 90-1
    Posted by vaigret
    He's only my back up Terry. Coatzee by far my best result. 

I used to love it when Steve Palmer in the R/Post fancied same as me. He's tipped up both Coatzee and DJ in tomorrow's paper.... Done my money in already then...... Grrrrrr
  • edited February 2014
    Going to start off by laying Charl at 4/1 ish. He begins on the more difficult East Course and theres seems to a fair bit of bad weather about.
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2014 Season! (AT&T Pebble + Joburg Open) : He's only my back up Terry. Coatzee by far my best result.  I used to love it when Steve Palmer in the R/Post fancied same as me. He's tipped up both Coatzee and DJ in tomorrow's paper.... Done my money in already then...... Grrrrrr
    Posted by joesman1
    good luck
  • edited February 2014
    Joburg open continued.

Well I'm sticking with my theory that high GIR stats will be important this week and added the European Tours Mr Radar, himself.... Magnus A Carlsson ew at 80/1.

Then not wanting to be outdone by fellow tipsters this week, I have joined in and picked a few of my own long shots:

Kristoffer Broberg - 200/1
    Oliver Bekker - 200/1
    James Morrison - 200/1
    Merrick Bremner - 175/1

• edited February 2014

AT & T Pebble

I've not had time for any research into this event this week so it's lazy picks from me:

Graeme Mcdowell - 35/1, obviously won the US Open here and I've been a big fan for a few years now, I can't ignore him this week.

Matt Jones - 50/1, I know he's playing better than he's ever done, I know he has at least one top 10 here, achieved when he wasn't playing anywhere near as well as he is now, he's been priced at 3 figures for most events, but 50/1 still feels like good value this week.

James Driscoll - 125/1, I think 2014 could be his breakthrough year on tour, he has some decent course form and decent recent form, so why not this week for his first win.

Sean O'Hair - 200/1, normally plays very well here, after a loss of form and change of coach, I think he's on his way back, we will see if he is back or still on the way.

• edited February 2014
    Didn't realise how many people there were in the Joburg open! I'm thinking now, this week wasn't the best week to pick some outsiders for top 5!
  • edited February 2014
    Bored - FRL's done James Kingston,      Round 1 Leader - East    50/1 Michiel Bothma        Round 1 Leader - East    150/1 Estanislao Goya       Round 1 Leader - East    66/1 Ulrich Van Den Berg  Round 1 Leader - West   66/1 Keith Horne             Round 1 Leader - West   50/1 Robert-Jan Derksen Round 1 Leader - West    50/1 22p (X18) ew doubles. Basically all stabs in the dark  ☺   -------------- Season Profit/Loss Profit £70.98 Wins: 2 Places: 11 Settled bets: 38 Bets in play: 8
    Posted by jdsallstar
    there should be some sort of money back prize for dead last lol
  • edited February 2014
    I was going to mention that bet, lol. I resisted though... In better news, posted this on Monday...

"Graham Van Der Merwe 1000/1 - Home course, and came T8 at the Tshwane Open last year."
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2014 Season! (AT&T Pebble + Joburg Open) : there should be some sort of money back prize for dead last lol
    Posted by jdsallstar
    and not just dead last on an ordinary week, dead last in 210th position, behind 209 other players :)

Sorry JD, you've had some memorable picks this seasons with some great results, but I think this one will stay in the memory banks for some time :)

Good Luck with your other picks!
  • edited February 2014
    I was going to mention that bet, lol. I resisted though... In better news, posted this on Monday... " Graham Van Der Merwe 1000/1 - Home course, and came T8 at the Tshwane Open last year."
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Just checked the leaderboard and thought that was one of yours at the top, nice pick, hope he keeps it up.
  • edited February 2014
    Argh! Bogey on the last to spoil a nice card. I suppose I'll take -6 though. From being annoyed I didn't have a FRL bet on him, I'm now glad I didn't!
  • edited February 2014
    Argh! Bogey on the last to spoil a nice card. I suppose I'll take -6 though. From being annoyed I didn't have a FRL bet on him, I'm now glad I didn't!
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Was thinking the same thing, I was going to ask if you'd backed him FRL and though better of it as I guessed you hadn't, so in the end that bogey on the last isn't so bad ;)