You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Get in the Hole! 2017 Season!

Comments

• edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2014 Season! (WGC Matchplay):
    Anything can happen in matchplay, so I'm going for an Underdog rd 1 4-fold. All of my picks are /> than evens. Fowler to beat Poulter Oleson to beat Day Grace to beat Walker Larrazabal to beat Speith £5 pays ~ £180
    Posted by splashies
    Good Luck with this splashies, particularly as I have done similar and am also on two of your selections.

Olesen to beat Day
    Larrazabal to beat Speith
    Hanson to beat Johnson
    Luiten to beat Moore
  • edited February 2014
    Howdy guys, bit late I know for posting my bets this week. But flash flush can proof my fancies. Gone for 1 in each quarter as per usual.

Rory 14/1 win only (through easy enough, though v tough quarter, Schwartzel and Garcia lying in wait)
    Molinari 100/1 ew (out)
    Snedeker 55/1 ew (through... Just)
    G Mac 40/1 ew (through by his skin)

Gl everyone
  • edited February 2014
    Going to give this week a miss. but FWIW, I'd of backed Dustin for the win, haven't looked enough for e/w contenders, but Poulter/Dustin final would be my bet.
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Saved yerself a few bob there Charles. 
  • edited February 2014
    GMAC has to be the best player to back, he just never gives up!! 

With him and garcia just scraping thru keeps me going with 3 runners. Shame Johnson fell (had the most on him) but ah well 3 out 4 into day two i'll take!
  • edited February 2014
    Added rose to my bets after realising walker and garcia are in the same 1/8th of the draw (why it's always good to do research lol).  Rose is playing els today and if he gets through that he'll face the winner of mannasero vs dufner. So he's got a decent chance of getting to quarters.

22/1 @ £2 ew.
  • edited February 2014
    Why shouldnt go to watch golf in the desert :)

• edited February 2014

Looks like everyone drew a blank last week in the Matchplay and are now busy studying form, or something like that, so I'll kick the week off with a player that's overloading my ticks in the boxes!

Honda Classic - Billy Horschel - 66/1 ew first 6

The first event of the 2014 Florida swing, I know there are plenty of players based in Florida, including the majority of ever growing European Tour pro's who set up a base in the USA, but Horschel was born and bred in Florida and went to college in Florida, so he was there first!

Course form is better than first glance would suggest, last season he finished tied 41st, but that included a disastrous 3rd round 81, if he'd had simply gone around in par 70 on day 3 instead of the 81, he'd have finished tied 3rd last season, so I'm taking the view it was just one bad day on a course he can play well on, with plenty of home support.

Recent form is not too shabby, his best was tied 6th in the Tour of Champions in January. Last week he went out of the matchplay in round 2 to eventual winner Jason Day who needed 22 holes to beat Horschel. In the first round Horschel overwhelmed Jamie Donaldson 6 and 5 and was 5 under after 13 holes, so it would have been a big ask for Horshcel to go low again in round 2 when up against Jason Day.

Stats are good, ranked 12th for driving accuracy, 21st for GIR, 12th for strokes gained putting and 13th overall.

Looking through the results over the years and it looks like the course suits US open type players, with the likes of Mcllroy, Mcdowell, Ogilvy, Glover, Thompson, Woods, Els and Harrington all doing well here. In 2013 Horschel was 4th in the US Open.

Last but not least, comes the value box and at 66/1 ew first 6, Billy Horschel gets a massive tick from me and will be my main bet this week.

Good Luck Everyone!

• edited February 2014
    I'm in a bit of a quandary about my other initial picks for The Honda Classic.

I'd decided on Graeme Mcdowell, with consistent good course form, former US Open winner, good recent form and playing his 3rd event in succession and should be bang on his game.

Along with Charl Schwartzel, apparently lives (when he's in USA) 'across the road' from this venue. He was tied 9th last season, tied 5th 2 weeks ago and played very well almost every week he teed it up in the States last season. He was also leading the US Open after 3 rounds last year.

Problem is with Rory, Tiger, Phil, Scott, Garcia and Rose in the field, I was expecting them both to be priced in the 33/1 - 40/1 range, in this field I think the 20/1 - 22/1 on offer is pretty tight and most importantly doesn't give decent ew value.

Normally I'd go in search of a couple of players at bigger odds, but this week I'd made my mind up early on GMac and Schwartzel, but now I've seen the betting, I'm not sure what to do, or am I just being greedy?
  • edited February 2014
    I'm in a bit of a quandary about my other initial picks for The Honda Classic. I'd decided on Graeme Mcdowell , with consistent good course form, former US Open winner, good recent form and playing his 3rd event in succession and should be bang on his game. Along with Charl Schwartzel , apparently lives (when he's in USA) 'across the road' from this venue. He was tied 9th last season, tied 5th 2 weeks ago and played very well almost every week he teed it up in the States last season. He was also leading the US Open after 3 rounds last year. Problem is with Rory, Tiger, Phil, Scott, Garcia and Rose in the field, I was expecting them both to be priced in the 33/1 - 40/1 range, in this field I think the 20/1 - 22/1 on offer is pretty tight and most importantly doesn't give decent ew value. Normally I'd go in search of a couple of players at bigger odds, but this week I'd made my mind up early on GMac and Schwartzel, but now I've seen the betting, I'm not sure what to do, or am I just being greedy?
    Posted by TheDart
    Busy day in work so haven't had a chance to do anything so just flicked up the odds there and the odds for schwartzel and particularly gmac are terrible!!

In other news, I finally got my sky sports back on!! I got the full package 1/2 price for twelve months after a bit of haggling. So hopefully being able to watch more golf will help my picks. Watched a bit of fowler over the weekend and his new swing looks pretty good - a lot less adjustments needed in the new one so it should hold up better under pressure and be more consistent over the course of an event.

Should get my sheets done tomorrow but without looking at course form I think fowler will be one of my picks and I do like the sound of Horschel.
  • edited March 2014
    Just the one pick from both events initially. Hennie Otto ew 33/1. And Justin Rose (became Garcia 22/1) ew 25/1. And both in an ew double.
  • edited February 2014
    mine are

Fischart and van zyl Tshwane

and Fowler and Bradley Honda

and ew doubles of course
  • edited February 2014
    Sorry gents flat out in work so no time to do sheets this week.

Honda Classic

Rickie Fowler 33/1 £2.5 ew (£5 free bet)
    As said above really like the swing changes he's made and finished t13 and t7 here in last two years. Should gain confidence from his performance at the weekend.

Zach Johnson 25/1 £2 ew
    Had money on Zach last week at the match play and he slumped to a first round exit lol but I was told after the event his record at that event is atrocious (good pick JD). So excluding last weeks results in his last 14 starts he's had 3 wins, 7 top 5's and 11 top 10's so i'm hoping last week was just a blip.

Billy Horschel 50/1 £1 ew
    just nicked Darts tip :)

Tschwane Open

Again feel like euro tour is a bit of a punt this week apart from Coetzee and Aiken but don't see any value in their odds. So just gone with my gut lol

Tommy Fleetwood 40/1
    Matthew Baldwin 66/1
    Rober Rock 80/1

All £1 ew.

-----------------

Season Profit/Loss

Profit £47.08
    Wins: 3
    Places: 10
    Settled bets: 62
    Bets in play: 6
  • edited February 2014
    Only done quick research this week. Not really in the mood for it. 1 stand out player for me this week is Rickie Fowler. Sounds like he was impressive in the matchplay, he has a new swing that's all coming together nad he has good history on this course... Oh yeah and 33/1!

Also gone with Adam Scott. He always seems to be up there, so that's just a lazy pick

In SA - Sticking with Da Silva, he hasn't been terrible, and this is his last chance before the tour leaves SA.
    Also gone with Wattel - In great form, hopefully he can continue...

• edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2014 Season! (Honda Classic + Tschwane Open):
    Just the one pick from both events initially. Hennie Otto ew 33/1. And Justin Rose ew 25/1. And both in an ew double.
    Posted by joesman1
    Justin Rose has just pulled out due to shoulder injury.
  • edited February 2014
    Well I'm happy this week, as I've put in the effort for the research, so if my bets go down, they will at least go down with the knowledge that I worked hard to spend the money!

Tshwane Open

Danny Willett - 25/1, Ok, no effort went into the research for my first pick, on Monday I wanted to put someone in a double with Billy Horshcel, before the best odds were snapped up. I remain a big fan of Danny Willett and he was 5th here last year, tends to play well when rested and is a big fish in a dodgy pond this week.

Morten Orum Madsen - 33/1, tied 8th in this event last year, finished tied 6th last week on a Sunshine Tour event, won the South African Open a couple of months ago, so obviously very comfortable here. Seems to be playing consistently well and looks to offer some real value amongst those at the head of the betting.

Jean Hugo - 66/1, former tour player who appears to be playing exclusively in South Africa now, his results this season have been his best for some years backed up by a tie for 2nd last week. Tied 21st last season so has decent course experience in the bank and also has the length off the tee which will help this week.

Gaganjeet Bhullar - 125/1, power hitter who's game should suit this course. He finished 10th in Abu Dhabi and 22nd in Qatar, in fields much stronger than this week. He also has a tied 18th finish in a WGC on his cv.  Plays a lot of his golf on the Asian Tour, where he finished 5th on their OOM last season. He also boasts 5 wins on the Asian Tour and knowing how to win is an important experience no matter what event you are playing in. 125/1 looks tasty.
  • edited February 2014

Honda Classic

Forced to do extra homework thanks to the poor value odds the bookies are offering on Gmac and Schwartzel, I hope I will get my revenge with the following picks:

Billy Horschel - 66/1, for reasons mentioned in Mondays post and after more in depth analysis, I remain bullish about Billy!

Hideki Matsuyama - 40/1, very impressive player, who I imagine will find conditions to his liking this week and certainly offers good value amongst those near the front of the betting. 

Louis Oosthuizen - 66/1,I wanted to back his mate and neighbor Charl Schwartzel, but at 3 times the price Louis looks overpriced. After last seasons injuries, he hasn't done that much wrong this season. He's won in South Africa, he was knocked out of the Matchplay at the QF stage by the eventual winner Jason Day. He lives 'across the road' from this weeks venue, so must have plenty of course knowledge, his record is not great here, but he's had to withdraw twice and despite not playing the event wen fully fit, he's still registered a couple of sub par rounds, on a course where par means a good round. Also has a tied 9th in the US Open. So plenty going for him and is there really that greater difference between the two players, that Schwartzel should be 22/1 and Oosthuizen 66/1?

Padraig Harrington - 100/1 (without Woods and Rory), a little speculative but he's a former winner of this event and he tends to produce his best in the more challenging events. I'd like to think he's still got a win or two left in him and in the past I've tended to catch Padraig at the right time, so I'm hoping this week could be one of those good weeks.

• edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2014 Season! (Honda Classic + Tschwane Open):
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2014 Season! (Honda Classic + Tschwane Open) : Justin Rose has just pulled out due to shoulder injury.
    Posted by TheDart
    Cheers Mr Meakin... Out with Rose, enter Sergio @ 22/1. Same thing, ew single and ew double. 
  • edited February 2014
    Honda Classic   Louis Oosthuizen - 66/1 ,I wanted to back his mate and neighbor Charl Schwartzel, but at 3 times the price Louis looks overpriced. After last seasons injuries, he hasn't done that much wrong this season. He's won in South Africa, he was knocked out of the Matchplay at the QF stage by the eventual winner Jason Day. He lives 'across the road' from this weeks venue, so must have plenty of course knowledge, his record is not great here, but he's had to withdraw twice and despite not playing the event wen fully fit, he's still registered a couple of sub par rounds, on a course where par means a good round. Also has a tied 9th in the US Open. So plenty going for him and is there really that greater difference between the two players, that Schwartzel should be 22/1 and Oosthuizen 66/1? Posted by TheDart

Louis' withdrawn for a third time from this tournament.

So I get to add the local boy with the growing reputation and game, Brooks Koepka at 100/1.

• edited February 2014
    Well I'm happy this week, as I've put in the effort for the research, so if my bets go down, they will at least go down with the knowledge that I worked hard to spend the money! Tshwane Open Danny Willett - 25/1, Ok, no effort went into the research for my first pick, on Monday I wanted to put someone in a double with Billy Horshcel, before the best odds were snapped up. I remain a big fan of Danny Willett and he was 5th here last year, tends to play well when rested and is a big fish in a dodgy pond this week. Posted by TheDart
    Unbelievable!

Checked the leaderboard earlier on and Danny Willett had got off to a nice start and was -1 tied 11th.

Just checked again and had to keep scrolling down the leaderboard to find Danny Willett and there he is at the bottom.....retired! :(

So that's two players pulled out injured for me this week and as Willett started I am sure I won't be getting my money back for a non runner!

Worse still Willett was doubled with my main pick Billy Horschel  this week.

Not happy and I probably should of taken time out but I've now added.....

Alejandro Canizares - 40/1, ew single and double with Horschel. I'm going with the theory that there may well be design similarities between this Ernie Els designed course and the modified Wentworth course where Canizares played so well last season. He was also 6th in the South African Open and recently 5th in Qatar.

I've also added Michael Hoey at 12/1 in a win double with Horschel.

• edited February 2014
    Fowler , Mickleson and Super Freddie Jacobson.. £5 ew on all
  • edited February 2014
    Fowler , Mickleson and Super Freddie Jacobson.. £5 ew on all
    Posted by mrdavies
    Good Luck Mr. Davies, hope you get a good run for your money.
  • edited February 2014

I don't like to moan or criticize, especially when it's something new, as I've learnt that opinions (well mine anyway) can change.

However, I've just spent 5 minutes trying to get to grips with the new PGA leaderboard........UGH!!!

Does anyone know if shot tracker is still available?

Too much time on my hands this morning, which is not usually a good thing, trolling through my bet history, to see if there was any chance I'd get a refund on Danny Willett and realize I didn't declare my getting uncomfortably regular Matt bet....

Matthew Baldwin - 66/1
    Matt Jones - 80/1

ew singles and an ew double

That's me done for the day, unless anyone else goes sick.

• edited February 2014
    Normal service is resumed.

I've found Shot Tracker :)
  • edited February 2014
    http://www.legacy.pgatour.com/shottracker.html#/
    Posted by splashies
    Thanks Splashies, but I did find it myself, honest :)

Have you backed anyone this week or are you sticking with the new strategy?
  • edited February 2014
    Got 5 outsiders 100/1 or greater. Looking to trade out if 1 or 2 them go deep.

I'll then carry on laying 1 of the leaders from round 3 onwards.

gl with koepke btw ;)
  • edited February 2014
    Couldn't help myself!! Derek Ernest was responsible last year for one of my biggest wins with in play bet when he won the Wells Fargo event last year at 125/1.

Anyway he's sitting T6 at -4 3 off the lead. 200/1 £1ew. 

He's only 23, only got his card last year and I quite like his swing but it's basically a blind loyalty bet lol

• edited February 2014
    Couldn't help myself!! Derek Ernest was responsible last year for one of my biggest wins with in play bet when he won the Wells Fargo event last year at 125/1. Anyway he's sitting T6 at -4 3 off the lead. 200/1 £1ew.  He's only 23, only got his card last year and I quite like his swing but it's basically a blind loyalty bet lol
    Posted by jdsallstar
    I've just read up a little on Derek Ernst as I must admit the only significant snippet of information I had on him was, that he was that bloke JD backed at 3 figure odds last year when he won.

I have to say there doesn't appear to be anything else positive to say about him, I can't even say he is one of the many Florida residents who grew up here or plays here regularly, or will be used to these greens, he comes from the other side of America!

Anyway I feel bad about you following my Billy Horschel tip this week, I don't know what wrong with Billy, he started so well and was -2 after 3, perhaps he was affected by Rory's high level performance.

SkyBet still seem to think Horschel has a better chance than Ernst (150/1 - 200/1), but I feel responsible for doing some of your hard earned cash in, so fair's fair, I've had a small ew wager on Derek Ernst at 200/1.

Though honestly, I think the only sane reason you could back him would be if he was one of your biggest wins in the past ;)
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2014 Season! (Honda Classic + Tschwane Open) : I've just read up a little on Derek Ernst as I must admit the only significant snippet of information I had on him was, that he was that bloke JD backed at 3 figure odds last year when he won. I have to say there doesn't appear to be anything else positive to say about him, I can't even say he is one of the many Florida residents who grew up here or plays here regularly, or will be used to these greens, he comes from the other side of America! Anyway I feel bad about you following my Billy Horschel tip this week, I don't know what wrong with Billy, he started so well and was -2 after 3, perhaps he was affected by Rory's high level performance. SkyBet still seem to think Horschel has a better chance than Ernst (150/1 - 200/1), but I feel responsible for doing some of your hard earned cash in, so fair's fair, I've had a small ew wager on Derek Ernst at 200/1. Though honestly, I think the only sane reason you could back him would be if he was one of your biggest wins in the past ;)
    Posted by TheDart
    Haha it was a punt last year and it's a punt this year - as i said it's more a case of blind loyalty on my part lol he'll prob end up about 6 over today.

Was surprised by horschel not doing well he may have been affected, as you say, playing with Scott and Mcilroy. Wouldnt put him past getting a good score today though because he looks to be swinging ok just didnt click for him yesterday.

• edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2014 Season! (Honda Classic + Tschwane Open) : Haha it was a punt last year and it's a punt this year - as i said it's more a case of blind loyalty on my part lol he'll prob end up about 6 over today. Was surprised by horschel not doing well he may have been affected, as you say, playing with Scott and Mcilroy. Wouldnt put him past getting a good score today though because he looks to be swinging ok just didnt click for him yesterday.
    Posted by jdsallstar
    I was thinking exactly the same thing and have backed him at 10/3 to win the 3 ball today.