You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Get in the Hole! 2017 Season!

Comments

• edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2014 Season! (Valero Texas Open):
    Hey Splashies, I agree with Flash, if the buzz isn't there at the moment take a break. I think you'll feel better for it and if and when you decide to have a dabble you should enjoy it more, if you don't then you know it's time to focus on other things. As for me... I'm 48 married with 2 children and can relate to how you are feeling at the moment. I started off by having a bet on a Saturday afternoon and watched the races on the TV with my dad. I enjoyed it and had my own fair share of look over the years. I gradually drifted away from having a regular bet, I don't think I ever decided to quit as such, other interests and life in general became focused elsewhere, probably around about the same age and stage in life as you Splashies. From having a bet every Saturday, I changed to having a bet on the big events, for me that meant The National, Cheltenham, The Euros and The World Cup, The Masters and The Open and perhaps a day out at the races a couple of times a year. Though there were times when I reckoned I could come up with a system to beat the bookies, it was always about entertainment for me, I could never back big in one whack and never back more than I could afford as the feeling does not sit well with my guts! I probably replaced the buzz of betting to some degree by entering quite a few fantasy comps in football and golf and over the years they've been a good laugh, with banter with mates and I've also won some decent prizes. It's only in recent years that I've started backing weekly on the golf and to be honest this thread has meant I've had a bet some weeks when I wouldn't have done normally and added to a recent bad run I am now contemplating taking a break from the golf after The Masters. Same for the Poker, I discovered the game and fell in love with it, I love the challenges it brings, the goals you can set yourself and the fact that it keeps the brain active, but I do try to keep poker as part of a balance life. In the early days one of the attractions for me was that I could play poker on my laptop in hotel rooms when I was working away from home. Anyway I say golf betting and poker are entertainment for me, though part of that entertainment has been that I've won some money doing it, not life changing amounts, but from time to time, the family have seen the benefits. If I stop winning the entertainment value will be less and I'm sure I'll drift away into some other interests, there's plenty to do out there. I always try to keep the family as priority, if they want to do something, I don't say (or I try not to say)I can't because I want to play poker or I want to watch the golf. Though there are times when I feel a little uneasy about the amount of time I spend playing poker, March was my busiest month ever on SkyPoker, I will now ease back a bit, though I'd love to win an IPAD! I also like to save something for the future, for me this is live Poker, I've played in a couple of SPT events, I've played and cashed in tournaments on a trip to Vegas, I'll see what's on offer from Sky this year and will be trying to play a couple of events. I know live Poker is there waiting for me and I really want to get involved at some stage. Right now my children are teenagers, they are getting to the point where they need my time less and less and my money more and more! When the balance is right and with my wife's permission my next venture will be live poker. There's plenty to do out there Splashies, you decide what is best for you (and your growing family), betting, horses, golf, poker, the exchanges will all be waiting for you when you decide it suits you.
    Posted by TheDart
    Great post, thanks for that mate.

• edited April 2014
    NH Collection

I just had a quick look at this and as Flash pointed out, I don't think there's too much out there to help.

Tom Lewis - 40/1, I read that the course is supposedly firm and fast and the wind can blow, then with a quick scan through the odds, the name Tom Lewis jumped out as a player with recent form who might find the conditions to his liking. I then came across an interview with Tom Lewis who says he played the course as an amateur 'and I love the course it suits me'. In this event I am not going to find a better reason to back someone.

Andy Sullivan - 33/1, forecasts are for a blustery Thursday, with Lewis having an afternoon tee time, I wanted to back someone with a morning tee time, in case conditions favor one half of the draw. So Andy Sullivan is first out on Thursday morning and was 2nd last time out, so bang in form.

Johan Edfors - 200/1, He lost his tour card last season, I can't find any evidence that he has played anywhere competitively this year, so if he is hungry enough, this will be one of a few limited chances for Edfors to get his career back on track. If he's been a good boy and been practicing hard and taken his wake up call positively, he just might be competitive this week.
  • edited April 2014
    Good run in the Turbo last night Splashies and free advice / analysis from Neil Channing to go with it, can't be bad:)
  • edited April 2014
    Thanks mate, I didn't see any of the show sadly. 
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2014 Season! (Shell Houston + NH Collection):
    Thanks mate, I didn't see any of the show sadly. 
    Posted by splashies
    It was actually a bit of constructive criticism with your pocket 5's hand.

He reckoned you should have just shoved pre flop, as you folded on the turn when you were ahead, but you had no way of knowing you were ahead.

Anyway I don't think it would have made much difference as a pre flop shove there would have probably just took the blinds as I don't think you'd have got any callers.

You'd have still shoved a few hands later with KQ suited into pocket Kings and gone out.

Still a great effort, it's not easy to win a Turbo Main Event ;-)

• edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2014 Season! (Shell Houston + NH Collection):
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2014 Season! (Shell Houston + NH Collection) : It was actually a bit of constructive criticism with your pocket 5's hand. He reckoned you should have just shoved pre flop, as you folded on the turn when you were ahead, but you had no way of knowing you were ahead. Anyway I don't think it would have made much difference as a pre flop shove there would have probably just took the blinds as I don't think you'd have got any callers. You'd have still shoved a few hands later with KQ suited into pocket Kings and gone out. Still a great effort, it's not easy to win a Turbo Main Event ;-)
    Posted by TheDart
    Just gone back through my HH for that hand.

Yeh I probably should have shoved pre. I had 12bb and in 99% of tournaments i shove.

But this turbo is crazy, 12bb at this stage is a pretty huge stack compared the others. 

I've got to the last 10 in this 3 times in the last few months but i think 5th is the best I've done, in my previous attempts I've been quite aggro with 10-15bb when every1 else is around 5bb or even less and it hasnt worked out.

Suppose if I get in that situation again I should carry on shoving in spots like that with the 55 for example.

And yeh wp to the fella who limps KK, mbn.

How did the final 10 go for you when you won?

• edited April 2014
    Just got accepted for a new job so been out doing interviews and assessments all week so no time to really research bets this week again. 

Last week was disappointing with Perez and Johnson looking like they had a chance to at least get a place but both had disappointing final rounds. Perez +6 sigh lol

Shell Houston

Matt Kuchar 25/1         

Webb Simpson 40/1

FRL's
    Keegan Bradley 30/1

Jimmy Walker 45/1

NH Collection

Richie Ramsay 33/1

Marcel Siem 35/1

Splashies I agree with everyone else if you dont feel like you want to bet then dont. Hope to see you still around this thread though.

• edited April 2014
    Just had a look through my hand history and it doesn't look like I had more than 8 big blinds when we down to the last 2 tables, I was actually playing with 3 and 4 big blinds for a good 10 minutes.

If I remember rightly there were a couple of players well ahead, with the rest of us battling it out with short stacks, I was actually down to just over one big blind (after I lost an all in), shoved next hand with 95, was up against K5 and the flop came 95X, that's when all my experience finally paid off. :-)

I think I was just keeping an eye on my stack compared to the field and you'd to be right to say 12 BB's would be massive on the last two tables in this structure.

Neil Channing's general view about everyone's play at that stage, was that you should be shoving with a wide range and I can see the point he was making.

I don't think I followed that strategy to its exactness, though I've never been textbook!

• edited April 2014
    Wd Splashies and gl fella. Only just seen your post as works being getting in the way recently. Put it this way, 63 plate car, obv only 7 months old, 28,000 miles already clocked up. 

Anyway after his remarkable comeback from 6 over after his 1st 9 holes last week, and now playing a course he's played already for a change, it's Spieth ew 25/1. That's my only golf bet this week.
  • edited April 2014
    After being so keen on Ryo Ishikawa last week, it's been eating away at me to not leave him out this week.

So I'm on Ryo Ishikkawa - 125/1 outright and 80/1 first round leader.

Also in the FRL

Graham Delaet - 40/1
    Chris Stroud - 66/1
    Brendan Steele - 80/1

Good Luck me, its time to Fear The Beard!
  • edited April 2014
    Just got accepted for a new job so been out doing interviews and assessments all week so no time to really research bets this week again.  Last week was disappointing with Perez and Johnson looking like they had a chance to at least get a place but both had disappointing final rounds. Perez +6 sigh lol Shell Houston Matt Kuchar 25/1          Webb Simpson 40/1 FRL's Keegan Bradley 30/1 Jimmy Walker 45/1 NH Collection Richie Ramsay 33/1 Marcel Siem 35/1 Splashies I agree with everyone else if you dont feel like you want to bet then dont. Hope to see you still around this thread though.
    Posted by jdsallstar

+9 thru 12 and dead last wp marcel wp lol

Thankfully my pga tour picks are doing much better. FRL's T1 and T5 but a long way to go. Got a feeling someone's gonna go really low today going by scoring so far. 

• edited April 2014
    Massively jumped the gun here.

But before i forget.  Gone for Luke Donald to win the Masters 50-1 !   Will win a major one day.

GL ALL
  • edited April 2014
    Matt attack!!!!

They conspired to do me out money lol 1 Matt chokes and dumps it in the water on the 17th and the other Matt who I've backed several times with nothing to show for it finally puts in a final round winning performance!! 

I put £35 on jones when it went to a playoff to guarantee a £40 odd quid profit. 

Along with Ramsey going close in the euro and Bradley going close in the frls it was a week of "nearly there's". 

Think I'm up about £50 so at least it was a winning week but coulda been so much more!
  • edited April 2014

On the PGA tour, after Graham DeLaet, I've probably tipped Matt Jones more than any other player.

So I always keep an eye on him and after a barren spell (for me), I'm delighted to report that when he got off to a birdie start in round 1, I managed to have the sense / luck to back Matt Jones Thursday evening in running at 80/1.

• edited April 2014
    Well done chaps! :)
  • edited April 2014
    Only the one bet on the Masters. Good history here and good current form, normally Mr Consistent!

Matt Kuchar 25/1 - £10 e/w
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2014 Season! (The MASTERS):
    Only the one bet on the Masters. Good history here and good current form, normally Mr Consistent! Matt Kuchar 25/1 - £10 e/w
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Did you miss out the word 'today' at the end of this sentence?

Respect for your self control.

There's only one word I can use to describe my strategy for a Major and that's portfolio!
  • edited April 2014
    Nits itt :P

I'm playing this week.

Mcdowell 66/1 £2.50 ew (freebet)

Fowler 66/1 £1.25 ew

Els 150/1 ew.  £1.25 ew

• edited April 2014
    MASTERS TIME!!!!!!

Favourite tournament of the year by some distance so looking forward to this one especially as I think it's so open. I normally have a real strong feeling for someone in the majors but I don't really fancy anyone this year.

Jason Day perhaps but I'm not backing him at 14/1 or whatever. With that in mind went with former winners and battlers!!

Outrights

1) Charl Schwartzel       33/1 £2.50 ew (£5 free bet)
    Former winner, good form and a major performer

2) Zach Johnson           35/1 £1 ew
    Was in superb form at the end of last year and early part of this year but then fell away a bit over last two months (when I kept backing him lol) bu8t hoping the T6 in texas is a sign he's getting back to his best and will hit top form this week. Former winner but poor record apart from that at Augusta.

3) Graeme McDowell      66/1 £1 ew
    odds are just too big to ignore in a field where it's anyone's in my opinion.

FRL's

1) Matt Kuchar              28/1 £1 ew
    He owes me after the 17th yesterday. Another I nearly backed outright but couldn't handle another choke by him.

2) Bubba Watson          33/1 £1 ew
    Nearly put him in my outrights but after his 83 or whatever in his last outing decided an FRL bet was safer. Leftie which is always good for round Augusta.

3) Jim Furyk                 60/1 £2.5 ew
    This is my only bet I feel strongly about - 8 top 10's in last 14 starts, T6 in last start, he always seems to turn up for the majors (to then throw it away in the final round lol) and has all the experience to know how to tackle Augusta). 60/1 is a lovely price too :)

GL all

• edited April 2014

one more to add:

It wouldn't be the masters without a punt on the fat little Argie lol!!!

£1 ew Angel Cabrera @ 55/1!!

• edited April 2014
    Same sentiment as JD on 2 counts, firstly very excited about The Masters, it's one of the highlights of the year for me.

Secondly, I've normally got to the week of The Masters, with the majority of my bets in place as I will have had 3 or 4 strong picks, this has not been the cast this year.

I backed one player ante post a few weeks ago:

Nick Watney - 150/1, good course form and a player who I thought might be coming back into form, but he mucked that up be withdrawing from his last tournament as his wife was about to give birth and he hasn't played for the last 3 weeks!

Still maybe the break and the fresh feeling of fatherhood will give Nick Watney a new perspective and good vibes for this week.

Then last week I backed Dustin Johnson at 20/1, I'm not even going to try and work out what state he is in after one disastrous round and a withdrawal at Houston, one thing I do know is that the 20/1 turned out to be poor value.

So, the first serious bets of The Masters 2014.......

Hunter Mahan - 50/1, classy player who I feel is ready for his first Major, I was originally thinking US Open or PGA, but his Masters form is much better than I had realized. He is also showing up very well on the putting stats in 2014. I also like the fact that he is slightly under the radar and his results suggest he could be peaking at just the right time.
    I've also backed him ew at 33/1 without Scott, Mcllroy and Mickleson. Hunter is my main man this week.

Sergio Garcia - 25/1, I think you can find reasonable doubt about so many of the field this year, whereas the opposite can be said about Sergio right now. All the doubts hanging over Sergio in recent years, really aren't there right now. He is now one of the best putters on tour, he is a recent winner, his current form is as good as anybody's, he's has played well around here before and perhaps more important than anything else, Sergio appears to be happy off the course.

Thorbjorn Olesen - 125/1, quite often when I look at a previous years finishing positions, I will go through the leaderboard and take out a players worse round and 'update' his score by replacing his worst round with a par and see what effect that would have on the leaderboard.
    Last year, if Olesen started with a par 72 instead of a 78, he'd have won The Masters by one.
    One things clear, if Olesen can pick up where he left off last year, he won't be three figures for very long.

More to follow, between now and Thursday morning.
  • edited April 2014
    one more to add: It wouldn't be the masters without a punt on the fat little Argie lol!!! £1 ew Angel Cabrera @ 55/1!!
    Posted by jdsallstar
    I know he plays this course well. But I think his price is now ridiculous. Luke Donald is the same price. I'd take anybodys money, evens the two of them, I'm on Donald. 
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2014 Season! (The MASTERS) : I know he plays this course well. But I think his price is now ridiculous. Luke Donald is the same price. I'd take anybodys money, evens the two of them, I'm on Donald. 
    Posted by joesman1
    In the last 6 Masters, Donald has only finished ahead of Cabrera once and that was only by one shot, when Donald finished tied 4th to Cabrera's tied 7th in 2011.

6 top 10's at Augusta for Cabrera and he has a 1st, 2nd and 7th in 3 of the last 5 Masters.

Me thinks your are not showing enough respect to El Pato!
  • edited April 2014
    As for me, But I'm going big on Rory @ 10/1 ew 1st six. There's probably only 30 or so players out of the 80 contesting it who can possibly win it. I liked his finish yesterday. He showed he can destroy this course, as he was doing so 3 years ago before his implosion on the back 9 on the Sunday. 

I'm also gonna ignore DJ's debacle last week and have a dabble on him @ 25/1, and I need to back my mouth up, so Donald @ 50/1 is my 3rd bet. All ew with Paddy Power as it's amazing how often that extra place comes in handy. 

Gl everyone

Edit:- Brucey Bonus from Paddy..... They've given me an extra place, so I'm on ew 1st 7 now.....
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2014 Season! (The MASTERS) : In the last 6 Masters, Donald has only finished ahead of Cabrera once and that was only by one shot, when Donald finished tied 4th to Cabrera's tied 7th in 2011. 6 top 10's at Augusta for Cabrera and he has a 1st, 2nd and 7th in 3 of the last 5 Masters. Me thinks your are not showing enough respect to El Pato!
    Posted by TheDart
    Come on Meakin boy...... Let's have it...... Forget whose gonna win the Masters..... Cabrera v's Donald..... This is the big one.... £5 says it's Luuuuuuuuk!!!!!!
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2014 Season! (The MASTERS) : Come on Meakin boy...... Let's have it...... Forget whose gonna win the Masters..... Cabrera v's Donald..... This is the big one.... £5 says it's Luuuuuuuuk!!!!!!
    Posted by joesman1
    Lol, soon as I posted that reply, I knew what was coming!

I was dreading the stakes, but go on a fiver says Cabrera will finish ahead of Donald in the Masters 2014.
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2014 Season! (The MASTERS) : Lol, soon as I posted that reply, I knew what was coming! I was dreading the stakes, but go on a fiver says Cabrera will finish ahead of Donald in the Masters 2014.
    Posted by TheDart
    I deliberately kept it a friendly stake lol....
  • edited April 2014
    agreeing with people on here

Olesen 125-1
    Kuchar 20-1
    K J Choi 125-1

and do him most majors now

R. Fowler 60-1
  • edited April 2014
    What do people think to e/w without the favs on Zachary Johnson 22-1
  • edited April 2014
    agreeing with people on here Olesen 125-1 Kuchar 20-1 K J Choi 125-1 and do him most majors now R. Fowler 60-1
    Posted by vaigret
    Terry is Olsen your secret love child?