You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Get in the Hole! 2017 Season!

Comments

• edited April 2014
    Does backing e/w without the favs mean if the favs came in 1,2,3 they would pay top eight instead of 5 ????
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2014 Season! (The MASTERS):
    What do people think to e/w without the favs on Zachary Johnson 22-1
    Posted by millwise11
    It depends on your budget really.

But if you are thinking of just backing Zach Johnson ew (and not another 10 players like I'm likely to do).

Then if the choice is for example:

£1ew on Zach Johnson at 35/1
    pays £45.75 for a win or £9.75 for a place

or

£1.50ew without the favorites at 22/1
    pays £44.25 for a win or £9.75 for the place

I'd think I'd be putting the extra £1 on and taking the 22/1 without the favorites.

Or split it, 75pew at 35/1, 75pew at 22/1 without the favorites.

Good Luck!
  • edited April 2014
    Does backing e/w without the favs mean if the favs came in 1,2,3 they would pay top eight instead of 5 ????
    Posted by millwise11
    Yes exactly as you say, if all 3 favorites finish in the top 5 they will pay a place to 8th place finish and tied.

For the win part, your selection has to win or be the best placed, behind the favorites.
  • edited April 2014
    I have a £50 free bet thinking £25 ew without favs what do u think
  • edited April 2014
    Ok time to declare my investment in my group of favorites, that I'd class as sentimental picks, but not without a chance:

Graham DeLaet - 100/1, also 66/1 without the favorites.
    He played a few practice rounds last month and has been getting expert advice from former winner and good friend Mike Weir.
    Tee to green he has the potential to really attack this golf course, if he sticks around for 4 rounds I wouldn't say it was unrealistic to think he could be approaching an 8 under score for the par 5's.
    Much will depend on how quickly he learns where to 'miss' the hole and if he can master the greens, Graham DeLaet could be the first debutant Master in 35 years.

Graeme Mcdowell - 66/1, probably his weakest of the 4 majors, though last year he declared he felt he now had the game to win The Masters, (before missing the cut).
    Leads the putting stats on tour this year and has been playing consistently at a high level, 66/1 is too big a price for a big game player like GMac.

Angel Cabrera - 60/1, yes 60/1 is a little bit thin, but this guy could break par around here with his eyes closed. I love everything about the way Cabrera approaches the game and conducts himself on the course. I'd love too see him he get another top 5, but as long as he finishes ahead of Luke Donald I'll be happy :-)

Lee Westwood - 60/1, he has been slowly creeping back to form and whilst Lee Westwood declared that his first round last week was his best round tee to green in over 12 months, he is also showing up high on a lot of the putting stats (which is nose bleed territory for Westwood), so with little pressure this week and a return to Augusta with Billy Foster on the bag, Lee Westwood has a lot going for him at just the right time.

Matt Jones - 150/1, have to back him after last weeks win, he's never even been to Augusta before, so it would be an impressive achievement to just make the cut, but he has the all round game and a short game and putter that is very hot right now. So with a few quick tips from good buddy Adam Scott, you never know.

• edited April 2014
    I have a £50 free bet thinking £25 ew without favs what do u think
    Posted by millwise11
    I wish to remain neutral with the advice.

I would never try to influence somebody's selection, or approaches to betting.

We all have different ideas and different strategies.

Joesman1 posted that he thought there was only 30 players in with a shout, I'd day there was at least 60 players, who could easily win.

Flash posted earlier he was having one bet (he may well end up adding a few more, such is temptation).

I believe the best wining strategy is to have a portfolio of players, back some to win big, back some as 'savers' to cover your total investment, back some because you enjoy watching them play, after all this is entertainment.

Good Luck in whatever you decide. 
  • edited April 2014
    Debutant Winner - 8/1

I know its 35 years, since Fuzzy Zoeller, but I think this year, the doubts over many of the leading players and the caliber of players in the debutant bracket mean a debutant winner is a real possibility.

The top 10 in the list are:

Jordan Speith
    Harris English
    Jimmy Walker
    Patrick Reed
    Graham DeLaet
    Victor Dubuisson
    Matt Jones
    Chris Kirk
    Matt Every
    Billy Horschel

and there's a few more debutants that are not without game and hope.

8/1 doesn't sound too bad to me.

Any thoughts from anyone?

• ommomm
    edited April 2014
    Debutant Winner - 8/1 I know its 35 years, since Fuzzy Zoeller, but I think this year, the doubts over many of the leading players and the caliber of players in the debutant bracket mean a debutant winner is a real possibility. The top 10 in the list are: Jordan Speith Harris English Jimmy Walker Patrick Reed Graham DeLaet Victor Dubuisson Matt Jones Chris Kirk Matt Every Billy Horschel and there's a few more debutants that are not without game and hope. 8/1 doesn't sound too bad to me. Any thoughts from anyone?
    Posted by TheDart
    Gut feel is it seems abit skinny, haven't worked out the maths but would it be better to bet them individually. Prices dependant of course. 
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2014 Season! (The MASTERS) : Gut feel is it seems abit skinny, haven't worked out the maths but would it be better to bet them individually. Prices dependant of course. 
    Posted by omm
    Yes have to admit, 8/1 isn't like wow lump on.

and now you've questioned it and I've thought about it some more its actually pretty poor value.

for example, stick £10 on at 8/1 to win £90

Or have a £1 on each of the 10 leading contenders at odds of:

Jordan Speith - 50/1
    Harris English - 66/1 -
    Jimmy Walker - 66/1
    Patrick Reed - 60/1
    Graham DeLaet - 100/1
    Victor Dubuisson -100/1
    Matt Jones - 150/1
    Chris Kirk - 200/1
    Matt Every - 150/1
    Billy Horschel - 150/1

Yes conclusion is 8/1 for top Debutant is poor value!

Looks like I'll be adding a few more players to my portfolio.
  • edited April 2014
    What do people think to e/w without the favs on Zachary Johnson 22-1
    Posted by millwise11
    I dunno because I don't really fancy any of the favourites too much to be honest.

Mickelson hasn't looked at his best all year and has been nursing injuries. Best finish of T12 this year on the pga tour.

McIlroy has been inconsistent and doesn't have a great record at the masters (T20, cut, T15, T40 and T25). He had that famous blow up which might have left a few mental scars too. Bottled a few times this year already when in strong positions.

Scott would be the one in my eyes who is most likely of the three to do it  but as last years winner his press/pr duties this year will be more demanding than normal. Back to back Masters winner is never gonna be an easy task to begin with. Pretty bad blow up in last outing at the Arnold Palmer Invitational as well.

Having said that, all three are great players and could just turn it on for the masters but i just think the loss in value from 30 odd to 1 versus 22/1 isn't worth it my eyes. I'd just go for the normal price.

As for Zach Johnson, I've backed him too but I'm not convinced he can do it. Apart from his win here he hasnt performed all that well at Augusta in general (never better than T20 apart from his win). I would say the safer bet is Kuchar but he's bottled it a few times this season so I'd worry about him getting the job down.

That's just my opinion of course so ignore all or some of it as you see fit and good luck with whatever you pick!
  • edited April 2014
    On another note anybody thinking of backing Jason day.

He hasnt played a competitive round for 6 weeks and a stroke play event for 8 weeks due to a thumb injury. It's likely he'll have to have this strapped for the event.
  • edited April 2014
    On another note anybody thinking of backing Jason day. He hasnt played a competitive round for 6 weeks and a stroke play event for 8 weeks due to a thumb injury. It's likely he'll have to have this strapped for the event.
    Posted by jdsallstar
    Personally I think Jason Day is as much a favorite as Scott, Mcllroy and Mickleson.

You've pointed out the reasonable doubt over all 4, which in my mind makes all 4 poor value.

Though I have a feeling of dread that actually 12/1 ew on Rory Mcllroy could turn out to be a very good bet.

If I adopted a different strategy than my scattergun portfolio and just limited myself to back 3 or 4, I think Rory may well have been one of my star picks.

It's just that long term I don't believe backing the favorites in golf tournaments is a winning strategy.

Take Tiger Woods at his peak, even then he was 'only' winning on average one major a year.

I'll stick with my bigger value picks with the aim of getting a place at 50/1 or more to get my 12/1 return.

• edited April 2014
    OK then I give in... As i said last week, I like the idea of picking out the 3 figure players. Well this guy is just a legend, he has played this course more than most, and as we know that's a huge advantage. His form has been indifferent this year, but a T13 at the Cadillac in his last normal strokeplay event says there is something there ready. That man is the Ferrari driving, cuban cigar smoking Miguel Angel Jimenez @200/1
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2014 Season! (The MASTERS) : Personally I think Jason Day is as much a favorite as Scott, Mcllroy and Mickleson. You've pointed out the reasonable doubt over all 4, which in my mind makes all 4 poor value. Though I have a feeling of dread that actually 12/1 ew on Rory Mcllroy could turn out to be a very good bet. If I adopted a different strategy than my scattergun portfolio and just limited myself to back 3 or 4, I think Rory may well have been one of my star picks. It's just that long term I don't believe backing the favorites in golf tournaments is a winning strategy. Take Tiger Woods at his peak, even then he was 'only' winning on average one major a year. I'll stick with my bigger value picks with the aim of getting a place at 50/1 or more to get my 12/1 return.
    Posted by TheDart

If I had to back any of those four it would be Day I think despite the injury.

I think there's just too much doubt over those 3 to be putting money on people in the w/out the favourites market. 

Totally agree about picking favourites not being a good strategy in general though. I normally go for 2nd tier people I leave the real outsiders for you and flash lol 

Matt Jones was a long odds punt of mine week after week with no return and then he finally lands one when I've nothing on him to knock the guy I do have money off top spot! #bitter 

• edited April 2014
    added Justin Rose 33-1
  • edited April 2014
    Not sure if I'm having a bet yet. But for any newbies to the thread that want some decent tips (fully intended to offend the thread regs ) ........

This guy is on the live show on 861 tonight and is one of the best around.

• edited April 2014
    Selection Details 
    Class/SportEvent TypeEventMarketDateSelectionNotes
    GolfUS Masters 2014US Masters 2014 OutrightWithout Favourite10/04/2014 13:00Zach Johnson @ 22/1 (Each Way: 1/4 for first 5 places.)Without Scott McIlroy and Mickelson. 
  • edited April 2014
    Masters                      Outright                   First round leader           Top 10

Sergio Garcia              22/1                       25/1                                 15/8
    Brandt  Snedekar        35/1                      40/1                                  3/1
    Jason Dufner               40/1                      45/1                                  7/2
    Hunter Mahan               45/1                     50/1                                  4/1
    Rickie Fowler                 66/1                     55/1                                   5/1
    Gary Woodland              75/1                      66/1                                     7/1

£38 staked

• edited April 2014
    Well played on the Mini Turbo win Splashies!!!

After last week, I had to smile when I saw your final winning hand was pocket 5's :-)

Maybe treat yourself to a £1 ew on The Masters now!
  • edited April 2014
    I always back Westwood (obviously throwing money away) to win his 1st major the 1st time I don't he will win lol maybe its me jinxing him but he has been in relatively poor form recently improving last time out. So this time I have gone with the Sky Bet 18/1 for  Watney Mahan or Westwood to win, fingers crossed.

Gl all.
  • edited April 2014
    Good fantasy golf competition can be found on the link below if anyone is interested.

It's £20 per team, starts with the Masters and is a decent format that gives you a chance to stay competitive well into the season.

http://golf.fantasyleague.com
  • edited April 2014
    Well played on the Mini Turbo win Splashies!!! After last week, I had to smile when I saw your final winning hand was pocket 5's :-) Maybe treat yourself to a £1 ew on The Masters now!
    Posted by TheDart
    Thanks mate. I was playing on the new classic view so theres no chat box on that, so apologies if you wished me well.

Once I got a stack I managed to bully all the shorties and everything worked out well. And yes I ♥ 55 now :D

Will probably back all the tips in the link I posted above as I've been out of the loop for a while.
  • edited April 2014
    Nice bink splashman.

Takes a special calibre of player to win the turbo mini!

--------------

Having just watched the masters preview with Channing I've taken his tip and had a tenner on Jiminez top senior @ 5/2.

Didn't bother with Els as none of the panel seemed to fancy him.

Fowler & G-Mac ew @ 66/1 to win.
  • edited April 2014
    Congrats on the win Splashies! WP

Tempted by the missed cut money back special market for a few of the debutants/outsiders.

e.g.

Matt Jones - normal market 150/1, missed cut 125/1
    P Reed - normal 60/1, missed cut 50/1
    J Walker - normal 66/1, missed cut 60/1
    M Every - normal 150/1, missed cut 125/1
    H English - normal 60/1, missed cut 50/1

Might pick two of these!

• edited April 2014
    I've decided to venture out into the Mexico Championship as well for the lols. Hunter Haas at 66/1 doubled with Kuch and Jimenez
  • edited April 2014
    Just for fun bets
                                           Odds          Stake         Returns
    Fred Couples Miss Cut 2.62 £1.00 £2.63
    Joost Luiten Miss Cut  2.5 £1.00 £2.50
    Keegan Bradley Miss Cut  3.75 £1.00 £3.75
    Louis Oosthuizen Miss Cut 2.25 £1.00 £2.25
    Jamie Donaldson Miss Cut 2.62 £1.00 £2.63
    Gonzalo F-Castano Miss Cut 2.1 £1.00 £2.10
    Thomas Bjorn Miss Cut  2.2 £1.00 £2.20
    Victor Dubuisson Miss Cut  2.25 £1.00 £2.25
    Darren Clarke Make Cut 3 £1.00 £3.00
    Martin Kaymer Miss Cut  2.2 £1.00 £2.20
    Total   10 25.51

Darren Clarke to make cut is blind loyalty!!
  • edited April 2014
    I,m back for the Masters 

Put some bets on e few weeks ago , luckily when tiger was favourite

These are my tips bets ( Cant see but Bill Haas was £3 at 90,s)

Event: US Masters Bet: Winner Selection: Haas, BillStraight Bet90/1Cash Bet3.00 €
    270.00 €
    273.00 €

Placed (matched)Order by Matched Date

Back (Bet For)OddsStakeProfit
    Zach Johnson42£3.00
    £123.00

Charl Schwartzel38£3.00
    £111.00

Hunter Mahan75£0.79
    £58.46

Hunter Mahan75£2.21
    £163.54

David Lynn580£3.00
    £1,737.00

GL with it guys - - Just hope the stream works i,vbeen given for Thursday and Friday 

EDIT :

Placed (matched)

Back (Bet For)OddsStakeProfit
    US Masters 2014
    Phil Mickelson1st Round Leader34£2.50
    £82.50
    Ref: 36088637832M Matched: 04:04 10-Apr-14
    Ps If anyones got a few quid you can back Haas at 90/1 on Youwin and lay him on betfair at 80,s - Not sure how long that will last tho

EDIT last one for now

Back (Bet For)OddsStakeProfitUS Masters 2014Dustin JohnsonWinner30£3.00
    £87.00
    Ref: 36088665378M Matched: 04:09 10-Apr-14

EDIT _ Defffo last one . He seems to be going in - in price but still a good price

MatchedDescriptionTypeOddsStake (£)Liability (£)StatusPotential Profit (£)
    10 Apr 14
    04:22
    US Masters 2014
    Gary Woodland - Winner
     Back70.002.00
    ---
    Matched138.00
    10 Apr 14
    04:21
    US Masters 2014
    Gary Woodland - 1st Round Leader
     Back70.002.00
    ---
    Matched138.00
  • edited April 2014
    Ok very last ones for me lol

money back missed cut special bets:

Jamie Donaldson 100/1
    Jimmy Wlaker        60/1
    Matt Every           125/1

All £1 ew

• edited April 2014
    Ok just so I can keep all my bets in one post for me to refer back to I'm reposting them all again:

Outrights
    Charl Schwartzel       33/1 £2.50 ew (£5 free bet) -  LOST
    Zach Johnson           35/1 £1 ew                        - LOST
    Graeme McDowell      66/1 £1 ew                        - LOST

Outrights (money back missed cut specials)
    Jamie Donaldson 100/1                                     - CURRENTLY T10
    Jimmy Wlaker        60/1                                    - CURRENTLY T7
    Matt Every           125/1                                     - £2.00

First Round Leaders
    Matt Kuchar              28/1 £1 ew                         - LOST
    Bubba Watson          33/1 £1 ew                         - £9.25
    Jim Furyk                 60/1 £2.5 ew                      - LOST

Miss/make cuts
    Fred Couples              Miss Cut           2.62   £1.00  - LOST
    Joost Luiten               Miss Cut           2.5     £1.00  - LOST
    Keegan Bradley          Miss Cut           3.75   £1.00  - £3.75
    Louis Oosthuizen        Miss Cut           2.25   £1.00  - LOST
    Jamie Donaldson        Miss Cut           2.62   £1.00  - LOST
    Gonzalo F-Castano      Miss Cut           2.1     £1.00 - LOST
    Thomas Bjorn             Miss Cut           2.2     £1.00  - LOST
    Victor Dubuisson          Miss Cut          2.25   £1.00   - £2.25
    Darren Clarke             Make Cut         3        £1.00   - £3.00
    Martin Kaymer             Miss Cut          2.2     £1.00  - LOST

Total Punt is £29 and a £5 free bet.

End of round 2 update:
    Returns so far - £20.25 (running loss of £7,75)

Only two bets still running - Jimmy walker and Jamie Donaldson

• edited April 2014

The bookies made me do it!

I've added:

Henrik Stenson - 33/1, seemingly friendless in the market, so the bookies have pushed his price out and lured me in.
    A few years ago I was convinced this was The Major for Henrik Stenson, he's had his moments, but has definitely underachieved here. Interesting to read this week that Henrik himself feels Augusta suits his game.
    If the buzz of the years first Major can give Henrik that little bit of oomph (I'm sure it will) to get back to the level he was 6 months ago, it could be another record for Sweden's no. 1 golfer.

Ryan Moore - 100/1, I backed him before he took on the jinx of winning the par competition. Deffinitely has good pedigree around here. Phil Mickleson reckons if conditions turn out as he expects, (infamous Augusta greens at their most challenging), there will only be around a dozen in the field that can win this week, some players in that bracket are obvious,  I think Ryan Moore could be one of Micklenson's dozen and at 100/1 is the best value.

Toooo Looooong Shots....

Scott Stallings - 250/1, what a bizarre record this guy has.

I don't think I have seen so many missed cuts in a season, from a guy who suddenly turns up one week and out of nowhere wins the tournament!

In 2011, 12 missed cuts in 20 and 1 win.
    In 2012, 17 stroke play tournaments, 12 missed cuts, a withdrawal and  a win.
    In 2103, 14 missed cuts, but 4 top 5 finishes.
    In 2014, 11 stroke play events played, 7 missed cuts, T45th, T47th, T58th and naturally a win!

He's played Augusts once in 2012, finished tied 27th, which included a 2nd round 77, which isn't too shabby for a debutant.

Whatever is it that needs to click for Scott Stallings, when it does click it clearly clicks better than most guys.

I'll take my chances at 250/1.

Tim Clark - 300/, admittedly no recent form, but has some very good course form. Course form and 300/1 tick the speculative bet option.

Sang Moon Bae - 350/1, played the Masters in 2012 and tied 37th, opened with a 75, closed with a 77, but put in two very good rounds of 69 and 71 in between.
    He's a very good putter, I just have a hunch that from the 'no hopers' bracket he could give me a run for my money.