You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Get in the Hole! 2017 Season!

Comments

• edited April 2014
    Nice post Flash, brought a bit of humor to a thread that's been a bit thin on laughs recently.

Good Luck

Volvo China Open is very tricky this week, interested to see you've gone for the bombers, my 'analysis' lead me to go for the shorter hitting players in the field this week, with the onus on accuracy over length.

I had Colsaerts down at 25/1 and then crossed him off.

I have also been waiting for the right event for Quiros, but decided this course might not play to his strengths.

But what do I know?

Very little, going on my picks in 2014!
  • edited April 2014
    Though my accounts Sunday night did not reflect it, last week showed a marked improvement in my picks.

5 out of 6 in the top 20
    3 out of 5 in the top 10
    Sadly only 1 in a tied for 5th
    So another week in the red.

Volvo China Open

I doubt there will be a more difficult tournament to predict this season, with no course form and a mix of European and Asian Tour Players, with a few big names from the PGA Tour.

The new course brings a level playing field and Stenson, Poulter and Dufner must fancy their chances, but the bookies have ensured there's no value.

Rightly or wrongly, I decided that the shorter hitters will not be at a disadvantage this week, so went for players with a mixture of recent form, regional form and players who's game is built on ball striking as opposed to power.

Pablo Larrzabal - 28/1, Already a winner on tour this season and a strong finishing tied 8th last week.

Richie Ramsey - 55/1, One of the shorter hitters on tour. Missed the cut last week, but was tied 2nd in Spain the time before that. If his lack of length off the tee isn't a hindrance this week, he could go very well.

Jbe Kruger - 80/1, Plays a lot of his golf in Asia so will be comfortable with conditions. His record on the European Tour was poor in 2013, but this season his results are improving significantly. Tied 13th last week.

Zurich Classic

Looking at the results over the yeasr, it sort of looks to me as if players who play well at the Masters also score well here. Perhaps both courses suit the same ball flight?

There's not that many 'Masters' players in the field, but based on that theory I suppose Rickie Fowler would be the stand out pick, but at 16/1 I've reluctantly swerved him.

Instead I've gone for:

Ryan Palmer - 28/1, has a 10th place finish at the Masters on his cv, good course form here and very good form in 2014.

Russel Knox - 40/1, decent form here, tied 9th last week, Knox is Knoxing at the door for his first win on tour.

Bo Van Pelt - 110/1, had a couple of very good finishes at The Masters, also played well here, shown glimpses of form in recent weeks, maybe the conditions this week will get Bo back on the leaderboard this week.

One further comment....

Read the form and 'expert' picks and it would be difficult to ignore the merits of a Canadian golfer winning this week, especially if you are of weak will and mind, when it comes to these sort of things.
  • edited April 2014
    Tried betting without posting on here last week, just to see if my luck changed. Just the one bet was all I had.... Donald ew 20/1..... So my luck didn't change at all. Infact it got worse!!! Serial choker Kuchar managing to hole out fom the bunker.....

Oh well.... Picked two from each event this week. Decided that there's a possibility the favs may outclass their fields, and backed Stenson and Rose win only singles, and in an ew double. Also on Ross Fisher in China, and Nicholas Thompson in The Zurich Classic, both ew singles. 

Edit:- after 9 holes took added Hoey in China @ 20/1 in running
  • edited April 2014
    Come on hoey just two more birdies in the last 3 holes lol!!!

Jacquelin's 8 at the par 4 15th has just gave me a glimmer of hope!

Paul Waring also sniffing around at -4 through 9.

Edit: glimmer of hope gone - hoey bogeys the 16th!! sigh
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2014 Season! (Zurich Classic + Volvo China):
    Bit late putting my bets in this week. Not really got any that stand out for me this week which is never a good sign. So what I've done is decided to spend money on it anyway. Volvo China -  Looks like a mixed course but with quite a few long par 4's, so considering there is no course history I've gone with the bombers with a big hitting outsider... Nicholas Colsaerts - 20/1 Alvaro Quiros - 50/1 Alexander Levy - 125/1 Zurich Classic  - A course that's used year after year, which makes you think there should be some players with good course history. I had a look through and there is very little consistency. I decided Webb Simpson would be the best bet with course history and recent form. Then found out he wasn't playing, so decided not to bet on him in the end.  Ryan Palmer 28/1 Nicholas Thompson - 80/1
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Can't ask for much more from day 1 in China. Colsaerts was a major disappointment for many, but it's looking good for the other 2! Levy was tied with Quiros until bogeying his 17th hole, and unfortunately the tour have stopped play with the last group (Levy's group) still going up the last! I'm sure they were consulted and if it was possible they would of carried on as it seems a crazy time to stop play. Considering it's a par 5, he could easily birdie that and effectively be T1 with Quiros going into tomorrow!
  • edited April 2014
    Go on Alexander Levy you little beauty!!
  • edited April 2014
    Looking good at the halfway stage Flash.

I was happy enough with Ramsay in 5th, even hopeful with Larrazabal and Kruger in 20th, but with Levy and Quiros, you are sitting there with Pocket Aces at the moment!
  • edited April 2014
    I feel a bit of a clown for not putting him in my fantasy team now though!
  • edited April 2014
    Top pick Flash vwp! Hope he gets there for you!!
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2014 Season! (Zurich Classic + Volvo China):
    I feel a bit of a clown for not putting him in my fantasy team now though!
    Posted by FlashFlush
    You back 3 players and one doesn't get included in your TEN Fantasy picks?

Schoolboy error Flash, schoolboy error!

If he finishes off his good work, I'm you'll console yourself with the £'s from a 125/1 winner.
  • edited April 2014
    Boom!!! Wp flash and Mr levy!!
  • edited April 2014
    Cheers JD :-). What with Jimenez and Levy I think I need to keep picking these 3 figure prices!
  • edited April 2014
    superb pick flash.

didn't even know the guy existed let only back him.
  • edited April 2014

Well Done Flash.

Very nice win indeed.

• edited April 2014
    Cheers guys. I've already short listed a load of names for next week. Just need to see what the bookies say and then I'll post up the best tomorrow.
  • edited April 2014
    VWD Charles.... Nice bink!!!
  • edited April 2014
    My horrendous form continues. Rose finishes too little too late and miss out on my ew double.
  • edited April 2014
    well done Flash
  • edited April 2014
    Congrats Flash
  • edited April 2014
    Nice thread title! haha
  • edited April 2014
    Wells Fargo - One of those tournaments that has been played at the same course for years. Quail Hollow has a lot of history, and I think course history is just as important as current form this week.

Jonas Blixt - 50/1 - Although he missed the cut here last year, he did have a T9 the year before, and if he carrys on his form from Augusta then 50/1 could be a steal.

Bo Van Pelt - 100/1 - Been around the block a few times, his results have been improving the last couple of weeks and with a T6 here last year I can't see why he is 100/1.

Robert Karlsson - 125/1 - Not actually got his card this year, I think he may have come back to the European tour. He has only played 3 events this year on the PGA tour, and although they were all weak fields, he has finished T10, T6 and T14. He also finished T4 here last year which was his best result all season by a country mile. Put that together with the fact he will be trying to win his card back and the Swede will be trying his heart out this week. In terms of the European tour, he already has a T8 and T11 this season.
  • edited April 2014

Wells Fargo

I'm not sure how much a factor course form will be this week as apparently Quail Hollow underwent a series of renovations after last years event. I've seen the changes described as varying from subtle to drastic, with perhaps the biggest change being the greens which have all been replaced.

Apparently the greens are now constructed from a Bermuda grass similar to last weeks Zurich Classic and the faster firmer greens will supposedly be closer to the conditions found at The Masters and Shell Houston.

So what to do?

Webb Simpson - 66/1, first punt of the week for me is on Webb Simpson and at 66/1, the value button has gone into overload, I can't believe that price will be around for long.
    Simpson is a local boy and is one of a few to have played the course since the changes, which has to be a big positive.
    After a strong start to the season, his form tailed off, culminating in a missed cut at The Masters. He's not played since The Masters, so hopefully he's been fine tuning his game and getting plenty of practice at Quail Hollow.
    Two years ago, he lead this event after 54 holes, before missing a play off by one shot.

Bo Van Pelt - 100/1, I backed him last week and he seemed to stay under the radar despite a third round 9 under par 63.
    He's definitely creeping back to form, significantly he was ranked 15th in the field last week for strokes gained putting and has performed very well on the fast greens at The Masters.
    He also has some good course form here, so knowing how to get the ball around this course and feeling comfortable on the new greens, tick two very big boxes, which means 100/1 ticks a massive value box.

Ben Martin - 125/1, After storming to the front at the half way stage last week, he struggled over the weekend to eventually finish in a tie for 15th. Tied 3rd the week before so bang in form.
    He won twice on the Web.com tour last season, which is not to be sniffed at.
    He is also one of a handful of players said to have played the course since the changes, so all is set up for young Ben Martin to have another crack at winning his first event on tour.

Jamie Donaldson - 66/1, I think if this event was in Europe, Donaldson would be no bigger than 33/1. With no local knowledge or experience, the only things he's got going form him are immense talent and the fact that he is playing the best golf of his career so far. He also adapted very quickly to the greens at Augusta National.
    He reminds me a lot of David Lynn last year, who seemingly could do no wrong on the PGA Tour, in fact Lynn lost this event in a play off, perhaps Donaldson can go one better.

• edited April 2014
    Laguna National - New/old course, which ever way you look at it. It used to be used 6/7 years ago, but hasn't been used on the European tour, so not sure course history is relevant this week.

Gary Stal - 100/1 - Next player in the French revolutiion. Showing some really good form of late, and with Levy doing the business last week it could be a "Go team France" mentality and give him that self belief.

Richard T Lee - 100/1 - Part of the Asian tour, already won this year on there (last month). He played in the Malaysian open a couple of weeks ago where Westwood stole all the limelight, but he did get a respectable T18.

Prom Meesawat - 80/1 - Played the last 2 tournaments that have been in the Far East finishing T19 and T24. His last tournament before thta was T2 at the Hong Kong open, so this guy can definitely play. He is between 40's and 66's with most bookies, but Coral have got him at 80/1 and I think that's too big so I jumped on.
  • edited April 2014
    Laguna National

JB Kruger - 50/1,
    Last week after a poor first round 74, Kruger played very well to finish a never in contention tied 15th. The Asian Tour regular is improving each week and should again find conditions to his liking.

Chapchai Nirat - 75/1, Goes by the nickname of King Kong. It's a few years ago but he finished tied 5th here in 2006. He's won 3 times on the Asian Tour and recently said he felt his game was close to the level where he can win again. Had his best result of the season in Indonesia last week with a tie for 10th.
    Holds the world record 72 hole low score of -32, so when on his game, can obviously go low.

Shiv Shankar Prasad Chowrasia - 125/1, also know as SSP :). Won twice on the European Tour at events in his native India. Looks to have the putter hot again and been playing well with two top 5's from 4 starts on the Asian Tour. Anirban Lahri's win last week, could be the catalyst for an Indian revolution on the Asian Tour, much the same as the Aussies in America and the French on the European Tour.

Richie Ramsay - 33/1, he was going along very nicely last week until he derailed himself with a quadruple bogey 8 early in his third round. I think there's plenty of positives about Ramsay's game at the moment, to give him another chance.
  • edited April 2014
    I think after mentioning Webb last week, and reading Darty's alaysis of him this week I would be a bit mental to not back him, so I've added him at 50/1
  • edited April 2014
    Late posting my bets up due to my car drama and went with ermmmm he'll do strategy for this week lol

Wells Fargo

Jamie Donaldson 50/1 £5 free bet
    Ryan Moore 33/1

FRL
    Pat Perez 66/1 - shocker :)
    Matt Jones 60/1

Laguna National

T Fleetwood 33/3
    J Kruger 50/1

FRL

R Ramsey 40/1
    E Molinari 55/1

• edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2014 Season! (Wells Fargo + Laguna National) FLASHFLUSH tips 125/1 WINNER:
    I think after mentioning Webb last week, and reading Darty's alaysis of him this week I would be a bit mental to not back him, so I've added him at 50/1
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Ah yes, I forgot he was your no.1 pick last week.

Well I'm glad you are on Simpson this week, I could do with a bit of your good run rubbing off on me.

Come on Webb!

• edited April 2014
    Have used my free £5 bet.

Jimmy Walker 30/1

£2.50 e/w

Be lucky
  • edited May 2014
    I put my bets on early this week. I made a shortlist for the European tour in Sunday night (Possibly the weakest field I've ver seen by the way) and I felt Sky had given value to most of my picks, so I wanted to jump on quick.

Madeira Islands

Matt Ford - 80/1 - I made my shortlist on Sunday night before any odds were up. When I loaded oddschecker on Monday I saw every bookie had him at 40's or 50's apart from Skybet, had him out at 80's. So thinking this will change any second I quickly jumped on. Some decent finishes lately on the challenge tour. last 3 results all top 20, with 2 of them top 5. Considering this is effectively a challenge tour standard event, then 80/1 is overpriced.

Johan Edfors - 80/1 - Been out of form for a while, but these weak events do tend to spur on some players who have lacked confidence in full strength events. T24 last week shows there is something there, and 3 European tour wins and 2 challenge tour wins shows he can seal the deal.

Ricardo Santos - 12/1 - WIN ONLY - This week could be a case of over looking an obvious winner in search for value that just isn't there. Ricardo has some decent form, and closing out the China Open with a 66 a couple of weeks ago could be a sign he has found something in his game. 

The PLAYERS

Jim Furyk - 33/1 - A course than demands accuracy and course knowledge. There aren't many straighter or as experienced as Furyk. He also has that monkey to get off his back with a couple of really bad chokes in the last year or 2

Jason Dufner - 66/1 - 4 times in the top 12 for stroke play events this year, 2 of those top 5's. He missed the CUT at the Masters, which was his last event, but the Masters is a strange one. Not had the best form on this course, but did get T6 in 2011. I feel a win is only around the corner for Dufner.
  • edited May 2014
    Into the well once more... Early Tee Time on a Thurs for one R McLroy means only one thing.. He leads.. He fades... He comes back... And finishes between 2nd and 10th....

So it's Mclroy 25/1 win only 1st round leader.... My only outright bet is Stenson 25/1 ew 1st six

Gl guys

Ps bring me gl vibes guys....Playing Day 1c of the UKIPT tomoz (sat'd in for £55, so result already tbh)