You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Get in the Hole! 2017 Season!

Comments

• edited June 2014
    I placed two ante-post bets for the US Open:

Lee Westwood - 50/1, bet placed after encouraging US Masters, where all aspects of his game looked back in shape. Of course next time out he won on the European Tour, though he's been a little quiet since. That said Lee know's how to play the majors, he's gone close before and like MP33 says, surely he has to win a major 1 day.

Billy Horschel - 125/1, bet placed last week before St Judes Classic.  For most of the season Horschel has looked good without really threatening leaderboards. He had his best finish last week with a tied 6th. I don't know what his scrambling stats were for last week, but from what I saw, he seemed to get up and down more often than not when he missed a green, which is an ability that is likely to be key at Pinehurst no. 2. He was 6th at the US Open last year and has the ideal game to do well in US Opens. I just hope do well, translates to top 5 finish.
  • edited June 2014
    us open week - gotta love the majors!!!!

Again its another week where no one really stands out for and ticks both the form and value boxes so I've decided to go with a new approach for an experiment. I'm calling it the Matsuyama Principle :) Yes im a sad lonely man lol

Let me explain.....

Whilst loooking at the form of some of the runners and riders and being completely undecided on all I looked at I looked up the form of Matsuyama. His 3 results before his win (in date order oldest first) were T38, T23, T10 and then boom his win! So as you can see his results improved week on week then the win came. Thinking is fairly straight forward, player peaking at the right time with growing confidence. 

So my picks.....

Bill Haas 80/1 
    Recent results MC, T44, T26, T21, T8, US Open ???!

Billy Horschel 70/1
    Recent results MC, T26, T15, T6, US Open???!
    Worried his peak was meant to be last week and worry about his mentality should he be in one of the last groups on a Sunday (good idea john back another choker lol).

oh and....

Jason Dufner 40/1 
    If you look at all duffners best finishes they tend to come in the big events. In his last 51 events dufner has finished in the top 10 16 times. Those 16 top 10 finishes included 2 US opens, 1 Open Champ, 5 WGC's and 2 Fed ex cup final playoff events. So 10 of his 16 top 10 finishes are in the big events. 

His average finishes (for last 51 events) are as follows:
    WGC - 12th
    Majors - 20th
    Fed ex - 25th
    Other - 34th

Those numbers tell me he likes the big events and big stage (or more likely the big pay cheques). His stats for majors would be better if he didnt suck at playing the masters and the open championship (never inside top 20). 

In his last 8 PGA championships and US opens he has finished in the top 5 on 5 occasions and importantly won once on those 5 occasions!

He's overall US Open record is played 7 MC's 2, 3 nowhere's and 2 top 5's.

Current form - patchy. T19 at memorial and 2nd the week before in the crowne plaza and before that he's done very little in 2014. Not playing well or due a good result?! Only time will tell.

He's my tip of the week.

Prob put a few frls on later in the week.

GL all

• edited June 2014
    Great post JD and nice picks, I'm especially liking that you have identified Billy Horschel  as a good fit for your Matsuyama Principle :)

• edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2014 Season! (St Jude + Lyoness Open):
    I was going to get a few things off my chest, but have thought better of it and just deleted what would have been a rather long self indulgent post, Needless to say I am not enjoying this poker and betting lark at the moment and am leaning towards a break, I say leaning because sometimes this is easier said than done. Anyway, let's have one last fling and see if I go out with a whimper or bang on this weeks US OPEN. I like the way this thread always comes alive during Major week and hopefully there'll be a few of us who get a good run for our money and make a nice profit this week. Good Luck Everyone!
    Posted by TheDart

BIG + 1 to this.... Darty knows through personal messages to him I'm having a bad time too atm. Won't bore u on here with the bad beat stories... But I'm sick too lol....

Anyways it's major week, so it would be rude not to have a bet, that plus I'm off to MARBELLA in the morning for a week of sun and poker (UKIPT) so who the f@k cares!!! Lol.....

It's Donald 40/1 and Walker 50/1 both ew 1st six for me...

Gl everyone and see u next week with a trophy hopefully.....
  • edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2014 Season! (St Jude + Lyoness Open) : BIG + 1 to this.... Darty knows through personal messages to him I'm having a bad time too atm. Won't bore u on here with the bad beat stories... But I'm sick too lol.... Anyways it's major week, so it would be rude not to have a bet, that plus I'm off to MARBELLA in the morning for a week of sun and poker (UKIPT) so who the f@k cares!!! Lol..... It's Donald 40/1 and Walker 50/1 both ew 1st six for me... Gl everyone and see u next week with a trophy hopefully.....
    Posted by joesman1
    Best of Luck in Marbella Neil.

Luke Donald is one of my main bets this week, so lets hope Donald breaks our Duck :)

• edited June 2014
    Last time I had a bet on the golf was The Masters and won with Bubba thanks to this guy's tips....

Im unsure if I'll have a bet though, with all the footy on I doubt I'll watch much of it. 
  • edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2014 Season! (US Open):
    Last time I had a bet on the golf was The Masters and won with Bubba thanks to this guy's tips.... http://www.golfpuntersguide.com/home-page/us-open-betting-tips-2014 Im unsure if I'll have a bet though, with all the footy on I doubt I'll watch much of it. 
    Posted by splashies
    Ahhhh, I've been pondering for the last 24 hours, if I should back Webb Simpson and I see your man has him as his main tip.

The deeper I dig into the research, the more obvious a pick he becomes, former US Open winner, great key stats for this week, grew up playing at Pinehurst no. 2, refers to it like a second home, add to that his strong finish last week and he really is an obvious pick at decent odds.

I went big on him a few weeks ago and I know Flash also fancied him strongly at one stage, only to pull out when he realized he wasn't playing :)

Two things have been holding me back, I missed the early 66/1 and even 50/1 so I have been sulking a bit and secondly he just looks too good to be true and when things are too good to be true they usually are.

It's like the player himself realizes before he tee's it up, that everything is set up perfectly for him to win and then he bottles it on the first day.

Or am I getting confused with the form of my own picks in recent weeks?

• edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2014 Season! (US Open) : Ahhhh, I've been pondering for the last 24 hours, if I should back Webb Simpson and I see your man has him as his main tip.   The deeper I dig into the research, the more obvious a pick he becomes, former US Open winner, great key stats for this week, add to that his strong finish last week and he really is an obvious pick at decent odds. I went big on him a few weeks ago and I know Flash also fancied him strongly at one stage, only to pull out when he realized he wasn't playing :) Two things have been holding me back, I missed the early 66/1 and even 50/1 so I have been sulking a bit and secondly he just looks too good to be true and when things are too good to be true they usually are. It's like the player himself realizes before he tee's it up, that everything is set up perfectly for him to win and then he bottles it on the first day. Or am I getting confused with the form of my own picks in recent weeks?
    Posted by TheDart
    Hey you've got AA, just get it in pre. If you get outdrawn, c'est la vie.
  • edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2014 Season! (US Open) : Hey you've got AA, just get it in pre. If you get outdrawn, c'est la vie.
    Posted by splashies
    Yeah AA is good right?

Yep I've got add Webb to the portfolio, pushed out to a best priced 45/1 at the moment, I'll hang on for a while in case I can get 50/1.
  • edited June 2014
    Added my frl's:

Ryan Palmer 100/1
    Dubuisson       80/1
    Oosthuizen      66/1

Oh and joined team webb lol
  • edited June 2014
    I think I'm going to give it a miss again this week. Been pretty busy since getting back from Portugal and not had any time to think about golf form so I'll just see where my head is next week. Good luck all!
  • edited June 2014
    Well the outright Portfolio for the US Open 2014 is pretty much in place and the following have been added to my 2 ante post picks:

Henrik Stenson - 28/1, One of the very best players in the world of golf over the last 12 months,  after winning so much and setting so many records last year, his ambitions this year are to win a Major and get to no. 1 in the rankings, he can achieve both with a win this week.

Coming up short by one shot at the Nordea Masters last time out will have hurt and should have been a timely reminder that he needs to being firing on all cylinders for 72 holes. When he's in the zone, his long iron play and second shot making is superb and that's what's needed this week.

Luke Donald - 40/1, His short game and putting are right up there with the best, he's playing very well. Last year he partnered close friend Justin Rose on the final day, so he saw first hand what it takes to win a US Open. That experience is good money in the bank and this year he's 12 months further down the line with his new swing changes. Come on Luuuuuke!!!

Webb Simpson - 45/1, Ticks soooo many of the right boxes this week, course knowledge, excels in the key stats, former US Open Winner, best result of the season came last week, he has to be the value bet this week. Will the pocket Aces of the tournament still be in good shape after the flop and turn?

Graham DeLaet - 100/1, When so many people are saying this is a second shot golf course, why not pick the player that hit greens with his second shot, more than any other player? His scrambling skills aren't too shabby either and of course he is one of the longest hitters on tour. His first impressions of the course where, 'auto top 5 courses I've ever played', which can't be a bad sign, though he was quick to add 'Going to be a tough test though'. He's really sucked in majors so far and this is his first US Open, if he doesn't play himself out of the tournament on Day 1, this is a course where Graham Delaet could really be competitive.

Brendan Todd - 100/1, Playing in his first major, so the odds are well stacked against him, even at 100/1 the bookies are hardly being generous, but the bookies normally know something. Todd got his first win on tour last month and followed it up with two top 10's. Bang in form and would appear to have a game that will ensure he is competitive this week.

Brooks Koepka - 250/1, We all know about his 3 wins on the Challenge Tour last year, followed by some impressive displays on the European Tour, he has now switched to the PGA Tour. He qualified via the European qualifier. He's been on my radar recently as a player who is ticking many of the key stats very well and certainly at 250/1 looks overpriced.

Danny Willett - 400/1, Glassback Willett, first question is if he makes the cut, will his back hold up for two more rounds?
    Playing in his first US Open, he's a long shot. Maybe not this week, but I do think he's a potential major winner and world top 10. If the course remains firm this week, it should play to Willetts strengths. Maybe it's too soon, maybe he's not fully fit, but I like him and he's my wildcard for the week (or first day or 2).
  • edited June 2014
    Ok last 1

Sky bet twitter specials - Donald/Simpson dual forecast 500/1 
  • edited June 2014
    Haas 80-1
    Donald 50-1 !!!   Will win a major one day.
    Rose 28-1           Back to back winner a possibility ? we shall see
    Snedeker 100-1.     Get that putter hot.

hole in one -   15/8    £200    
  • edited June 2014
    FRL Bets:

Webb Simpson - 40/1 - Pocket Aces of the US Open 2014

Luke Donald - 50/1 - Short game for the win! Go luuuuke!

Bill Haas - 80/1 - FRL Leader at this US Masters, I like concidences and it wouldn't be that strange a coincidence if he did the same here.

Graham DeLaet - 80/1 - If he's going to make the best of his own attribuites this week, he's got to get off to a flyer, if he can do that and keep things simple today, he will be near the top of the leaderboard after day 1.

Paul Casey - 100/1 - He's shot low rounds of the day several times recently.

Ryan Palmer - 125/1 - I agree with JD, Palmer always looks a good bet for FRL, if the forecast of afternoon thuderstorms is right, a late tee time today, could translate to an early start time in good conditions tomorrow morning.

Brooks Koepka - 150/1 - Looks good value at these odds.

Danny Willett - 200/1 - The more I read that the course is links like, the more I like Willett's chances and the bigger the value looks.

Good Luck Everyone!!!
  • edited June 2014
    My US Open bets /tips : Placed (matched) Back (Bet For) Odds Stake Profit US Open 2014 Matt Kuchar Winner 32 £2.50 £77.50 Ref: 38088804486M Matched: 21:01 08-Jun-14 Webb Simpson Winner 65 £2.50 £160.00 Ref: 38088804487M Matched: 21:01 08-Jun-14 EDIT : Added 1 more as i always back him and he,s my favourite player . He has to win a major 1 day Placed (matched) Back (Bet For) Odds Stake Profit US Open 2014 Lee Westwood Winner 42 £3.00 £123.00 Ref: 38090987411M Matched: 23:33 08-Jun-14
    Posted by MP33
    Almost forgot to back Senden as i,ve been backing him in previous . Should be setting off shortly and for me - overpriced

Never  backed him but really impressed with J speith yet again . He,s gonna be around a long time -GL _ seems a lot are on Simpson - was 2 under - just saved par to stay level now

Placed (matched)

Back (Bet For)OddsStakeProfit
    US Open 2014 http://sn4.cdnbf.net/exchange/page/images/darker_sprite_12314_.png') 0px -1331px no-repeat transparent" class="inplay">(In-Play)
    John SendenWinner140£2.00 
  • edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2014 Season! (St Jude + Lyoness Open) : BIG + 1 to this.... Darty knows through personal messages to him I'm having a bad time too atm. Won't bore u on here with the bad beat stories... But I'm sick too lol.... Anyways it's major week, so it would be rude not to have a bet, that plus I'm off to MARBELLA in the morning for a week of sun and poker (UKIPT) so who the f@k cares!!! Lol..... It's Donald 40/1 and Walker 50/1 both ew 1st six for me... Gl everyone and see u next week with a trophy hopefully.....
    Posted by joesman1
    Just a BOOOOM!!!!!!!
  • edited June 2014
    had Fowler at 60-1 after first round.

At least he in frame now, come on Rickie
  • edited June 2014
    had Fowler at 60-1 after first round. At least he in frame now, come on Rickie
    Posted by vaigret
    I take it that was ew Father?

If so well done.
  • edited June 2014
    Well I finished with Stenson 28/1 tied 4th and Koepka 250/1 tied 4th, so not too bad at all.

A flawless 4 days golf from Martin Kaymer, may have dampened the excitement a little, but you had to be impressesed with everything about Martin Kaymer during the week.

A few footnotes to some of my other bets:

Unsurprisingly, Martin Kaymer recorder the most birdies of the week with 16.
    Second highest number of birdies for the week, was recrded by my 400/1 shot, Danny Willett with 15, just one less than Martin Kaymer. On his US Open this stat just strengthens my belief that big things lie ahead for Danny Willett.

Only 3 players, recorded 3 out of 4 rounds under par, winner Martin Kaymer, 4th Keegan Bradley and my 100/1 shot Brendan Todd who finished 16th.

Oh and as for Webb Simpson.....Pocket Aces don't always win.

Anyway, I can't grumble at a return from Stenson and I'm delighted with Koepka's finish especially as it took a birdie on the 72nd hole to tie 4th.

I may take a few weeks off, but I'll be following this thread, so good luck to everyone next week and beyond.

• edited June 2014
    Last time I had a bet on the golf was The Masters and won with Bubba thanks to this guy's tips.... http://www.golfpuntersguide.com/home-page/us-open-betting-tips-2014 Im unsure if I'll have a bet though, with all the footy on I doubt I'll watch much of it. 
    Posted by splashies
    Yep you guessed it, I didn't bet. What a tipster though!
  • edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2014 Season! (St Jude + Lyoness Open) : Just a BOOOOM!!!!!!!
    Posted by joesman1
    I bet you are still grinning form ear to ear this morning, once again, very very very well done!!!!
  • edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2014 Season! (US Open) : Yep you guessed it, I didn't bet. What a tipster though!
    Posted by splashies
    Very Impressive, the guy is on a heater, as some would say.
  • edited June 2014
    i somehow had kaymer at 40 to1 had 1.50 on him lol well done all who won
  • edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2014 Season! (US Open) : I take it that was ew Father? If so well done.
    Posted by TheDart

certainly was Darty place poacher me!!!
  • edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2014 Season! (St Jude + Lyoness Open) : I bet you are still grinning form ear to ear this morning, once again, very very very well done!!!!
    Posted by TheDart
    Cheers Jerome, yeah, still taking it in. I'll be honest, I got lucky, the final table was very very weak. There was one good player, I could tell straight away and he declared he didn't want to deal when it was 5 handed. I checked his stats out whilst at the table, he'd won over £1 million live. No one else had any significant cashes, I was 2nd with only £6,000 in live earnings. He would often open up, and each time I 4 bet his 3 bet he would fold. Then I totally slow played my aces, and he paid me off when I check raised the river, after tank check calling every other street.

Then when he exited in 5th, it was a case of staying patient, waiting and waiting, and not being afraid to call big bets, and not being scared of winning the damn thing. Loved beating the cocky Spaniard heads up, esp' loved the final hand the way it played out. 

As I continually say, every dog gets his day....

As for the golf this week, Macdowell and Siem both ew.... My the run good continue......
  • edited June 2014
    Don't think I'm going to bother with the Quicken National this week, I haven't really followed the PGA tour at all the last month and nobody sticks out for course form (apart from Tiger of course). I've seen a bit of the European tour, so I'm just going to spread bet that.

This week could be your week Mr Darty, all your fancies seem to be coming into form, so I've stolen a few of them haha.

Gregory Bourdy - 66/1
    Matthew Baldwin - 100/1
    Danny Willet - 33/1
    Marcel Siem - 33/1
    Gary Stal - 125/1
    Anirban Lahiri - 150/1
    Chris Wood - 45/1
    Thomas Bjorn - 40/1

If none of those at least place I need to give up.
  • edited June 2014
    no bets this week for me, had to withdraw nearly all my roll (wife tax) so poker only for me until I build it back up again. poker going reasonably well so should be back next week.
  • edited June 2014
    I know you said you were going to have a bit of a break Mr Dart, but i hope you took note of what I said and decided to keep faith. Willett looking very good with a flawless -8 and Matty Baldwin isn't a mile away with -4...
  • edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2014 Season! (Quicken National + BMW International):
    I know you said you were going to have a bit of a break Mr Dart, but i hope you took note of what I said and decided to keep faith. Willett looking very good with a flawless -8 and Matty Baldwin isn't a mile away with -4...
    Posted by FlashFlush
    I had to pop over to Bangkok, so intended to not to have a bet this week.

Then read your picks and said to myself FFS Flash why did you have to post those picks with the reference to my predictable softspots!

Your post ate away at me at bit, so I did indeed back messers Baldwin and Willett along with my star fantasy player for the week.

My boys did the business last week at 66/1 and 150/1 thanks (I think) mainly to me not posting my picks on this jinx ridden board!

just seen the leaderboard from Germany.......Very Best of Luck Flash!!!!