You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

£1050 to £2050 challenge/// Diary of a HUSNG Hyper grinder// Current Balance: £1230.2

Comments

• edited May 2013
    Not playing this evening, decided to get a HU session in before starting revision so i wouldn't be tempted to play this evening. Mainly 2 tabling, got up to £45 quite quickly on a bit of a heater and some v-soft opponents, then back down to £2.50 in a strange spell not really any bad beats i just kept getting it in with slightly the worse hand and not lucking out i.e a6 v a8 type hands late on.

Then a guy who i had played a few times in my bad spell a couple of weeks ago showed up, i made a very conscious effort to adapt to his tendencies rather than blindly sticking to my default game and bemoaning losing due to bad luck/ him being a station etc etc excuses etc and it made the difference, he is a serial rematcher which worked to my advantage and long story short he must of been on monkey tilt by the last few games and pretty much donated me money by the end of the session.

I think i'm not avoiding making very marginal decisions HU now which i probably was when i was lacking confidence maybe siding with caution too much i.e not following my instincts which probably affected my edge alot in a game of small edges so yeah another good day and the overall HU graph is back on the up, will post the graph to illustrate and hopefully keep the positivity going.

Also hit 5k in points earlier to get to £100 c4p which i didn't think i was going to do so very happy with that and hopefully will set me up well for a good month in june.

Today
    Games played:48
    Profit: £37.43

Overall Graph for HU
    - can see the dip from when i came back from my break and then last couple of weeks slowly getting back on track- seemed a million miles away after my downswing/bad play earlier in the month.

• edited May 2013
    impressive diary benc, not many bad days in there, seems like yor a good hu player aswell.  Always good to be able to ply different forms of poker, well played mate keep it up !
  • edited May 2013
    Thanks, yeah HU is my main game most of my profit in the game has come from HU turbos. I have had plenty of bad times off the top of my head there was a point where i lost so much confidence i tried to grind £2.10 HU and couldn't get anywhere- lost confidence multiple times in my hu game which is till have a problem with, plus losing over £100 a couple of times in less than like 45mins on tilt in hypers is never nice. Building a solid bankroll and not playing stakes that affect you too much if you have a few losses is the key i think, i did play £21 hypers at one point but in reflection i was never mentally prepared to deal with the swings which was just a recipe for monster tilt, but i have just been learning gradually through experience and trial and error and no doubt will make a fool of myself a few more times in the future but it only serves to help me improve really- pretty much why i keep a diary so i can look back and remind myself of how i coped with different situations winning and losing etc.

Here is an example from earlier in the diary- less than 15 minutes..
    17 Mar '13 at 22:02 Poker Heads-Up (Hyper) £-21.00 £0.00 Internet Hand History
    17 Mar '13 at 21:56 Poker Heads-Up (Hyper) £-21.00 £0.00 Internet Hand History
    17 Mar '13 at 21:52 Poker Heads-Up (Hyper) £-21.00 £0.00 Internet Hand History
    17 Mar '13 at 21:51 Poker Heads-Up (Hyper) £-21.00 £0.00 Internet Hand History
    17 Mar '13 at 21:49 Poker Heads-Up (Hyper) £-21.00 £0.00 Internet Hand History
  • edited May 2013
    Nice results!

Cant mind when your exams are, but think it's tomorrow or Friday, good luck with them, just think couple of days and it's party time.

All the best for them, you'll smash them.
  • edited May 2013
    One down this morning, one to go tomorrow morning Larson. Went like a dream except a jobsworth invigilator on a power trip annoying me before the exam- won't go into a rant but my table pretty much collasped just before it was about to start and this invigililator was hardly helpful... Got up at half 6 though to get some extra revision in so may have been a bit irritatable lol, and yeah consistent results HU recently just what i needed.
  • edited May 2013
    Only another quick session today as i'm quite tired and need to do work this evening for tomorrow. 45 minutes from 2 o clock, ran into the opponent i mentioned yesterday beat him twice then he went to a £21 hyper and won against another oppo so returned to play me again for a few matches 5 or 6 i think, then after getting better of him in majority he dropped down to 3.15 game so i won that and saw he joined a nl4 table with £1.45 so thought i'd stop being ruthless and hope he spins that up to have another crack at me when i'm next on. I guess there is a fine line with HU in terms of morals and de-attaching yourself from the fact you are pretty much taking money off people who are clearly imcompetent but its a game at the end of the day and they choose to put there money on and  play so i have to be ruthless and take advantage of that as a poker player. I sometimes wonder how the guys who take thousands off guys who don't really know what they have got themselves into ever feel even a tinge of guilt..

Time:45 minutes
    Games: 11
    Profit: £20.35

• edited May 2013
    Finally finished my last ever work at uni, exams went really well. Got my new monitor afterwards after a bit of fiddling around realised how to set it all up and can fit 9 tables in miniview without overlap and 12 with slight overlap on the sides will be good fun in coming months. I decided to give 6 tabling ago at 4nl to ensure i didn't spew too much off if i found adjusting to 6 difficult and as i'm quite tired, was good fun and easily doable at that level even found myself chatting on fb on my laptop but will fully concentrate when i go upt o 10nl next week.

I also got nominated for the top of the posts which is great, so look foward to that on sunday night. In the meantime i'm going cinema tonight with the gf, then home for the weekend for a mates birthday and a live game with some friends all deepstacked 5-10p lots of straddles and levelling so that will be good. Will no doubt be on my laptop at points over weekend, but the proper grinding starts from next week.

Had some fun hands at 4nl, noticed that people like to donk bet alot more may off just been a random few opponents though, also got coolered once and then handed one out not much else happened really.

Hours:1
    Tables: 6(4nl)
    Profit: £2.94
  • edited May 2013

Well done mate on finishing your exams!

And for totp, really well deserved.

Ben 2 win!

Have a good week/end.

• edited June 2013
    Been a long expensive weekend lol never whip the debit card out in a bar when its your mates birthday it generally doesnn't end well.. anyway was good fun and got a little bit of poker in mainly HU, played live last night was good fun managed to bluff off 400bb on the turn with no equity against a mate who knows i like to play too many hands/bluff too much live so that was a laugh still had an enjoyable night though and definetly cheaper than the night before. Tonight i played the top of the posts and managed to take it down, decided to take a super aggro approach and gamble it up, saw it as i had cashed whatever so may as well go for the win, got lucky to flop a big hand early on against greghoggs monster draw to get a big stack was a shame though as felt like me and him were gna have some fun with smitalos on my right and him on my left. Anyway i managed to get pockets 2s in on an AXX board and runner runner a flush was sick/awful from me lol then i made a couple of unorthodox plays which judging by the chatbox were pretty laughable..lol then in the end 3 way with borinloner and smitalos borin jams button smit rejams i have them both covered with JJ so call and hold against ax and qx so was nice to get £50 and really enjoyed the game neevr 3bet-4bet so much even managed to show 72 to smitalos hopefully won't end up being abused in a video anytime soon...

Back to uni house tomorrow and planning to play a decent amount, no set hours but definetly giving 10nl a go 6 tabling and as HU been going well maybe try get at least 25-30 in a day if i can.

Overall since tracker started just over 2 weeks ago((17.05.13) things have gone very well after a bit of time and a bit of difficult adjusting back to the game again after my 1 month break maybe took time for the instincts to come back and the confidence, i'm hoping to have a good month in June as alot of profit has been withdrawn this month for other purposes- i never withdraw below 50bi for 10nl- 100bi for 5.25 HU so am more than comfortable with that.

Overall- 17/05/13+

Cash:£81.41
    MTT:-£21.60 ( counted the totp as mtt as dont have a standard sng section)
    HU:£164.95
    Rewards:£104.60
    Overall:£329.36
  • edited June 2013
    Told ya ud win:D

Very well played.
  • edited June 2013

nice going benc  very well played...

can I copy those results too?

lol
    :)
    dev
  • edited June 2013
    lol you know what they say, better to be lucky than good..
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Cash 10nl + HU diary.:
    nice going benc  very well played... can I copy those results too? lol :) dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    I'm sure you will be putting down some nice figures once you finally get to grips with mass multitabling cash devonfish, i read you were playing 9 tables- my advice stick with it so you get comfortable doing it at cash but have a stop loss regardless of whether you have played 10 minutes or 5 hours if you hit it you take a long timeout i.e at least a few hours, across 9 tables maybe like £35-£40 stop loss- oh and don't go chasing losses like i have in the past them figures soon turn to minuses when i decide to donate lol
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Cash 10nl + HU diary.:
    In Response to Re: Cash 10nl + HU diary. : I'm sure you will be putting down some nice figures once you finally get to grips with mass multitabling cash devonfish, i read you were playing 9 tables- my advice stick with it so you get comfortable doing it at cash but have a stop loss regardless of whether you have played 10 minutes or 5 hours if you hit it you take a long timeout i.e at least a few hours, across 9 tables maybe like £35-£40 stop loss- oh and don't go chasing losses like i have in the past them figures soon turn to minuses when i decide to donate lol
    Posted by benc
    cheers benc,

good advice especially having a stop loss.
    not sure i'll be 9 tabling each session as I know just how much you can lose as I've lost £100 before doing just that.
    back to my usual 2-4 tables for the next week I think,especially with the new cash promo starting tomorrow.

gl mate
    dev
  • edited June 2013
    Ty Dev- gl to you too havn't played against you recently upping the tables so will no doubt bump into each other a bit more.

Just completed my final session of the day, played 3 hours of cash in total all in seperate sessions of an hour which was due to other things going on rather than not wanting to play extended session. I 4 tabled this morning as not alot was running between 8-9, then 6 tabled 10nl in my last two sessions i am timing out occasionally but overall i feel quite comfortable with keeping up with the action and and playing my normal game so i'm happy with that as i thought it might take a bit more of an adjustment to keep up with the extra couple of tables. Also played about 10-15 hu games for a bit after my second session not as many as i would like but i will make sure i get a good amount in this month.

Today Overall

Cash
    Hours:3
    Tables (1 session 4, 2 sessions 6)
    Profit: +£35.72

Hu
    Games:15
    Profit:+£6

• edited June 2013
    Got in a good amount of hours today, 7ish spread out across 4 sessions. Definetly getting to grips with 6 tabling, even 8 tabled so i could play the main and mini as its cheap to buy into both of them on a tuesday. The sessions went well probably running fairly well atm as i seem to be getting paid off alot when i have it, also maybe a couple of plays i was really happy with, one of which was as a result of a horrible hand a few hands before where i overbet bluff jammed a river ( only last night i'm telling craig how bad this is most of the time lol) but a few hands later i make the exact same bet but this time with a set and get paid off by one of the good regs who i knew would of been clever enough to have realised the way i played the hand was the exact same as when i bluffed before and made a marginal call.

Was higher in the leaderboard than expected, would be nice to get in top 5 as that would feel like a proper bonus 10bis, but not going to be overly bothered about it just playing when i feel good and playing well.

Today: Only playing 10nl btw at the moment whilst i get used to 6 tabling and with the promo running, if i have a good couple of weeks i will maybe phase in some 20nl again.

Cash
    Hours:7
    Tables (4 sessions 6 tabling)
    Profit: +£69.83

Cash Week total: £105.55

Didn't play any HU today, played the main and the mini for a loss of £12.74 after bounties, very happy with the start to the week hopefully will continue having good sessions and get a nice bonus from the promo to make up a decent profit.
  • edited June 2013
    Good luck with the promo Ben.
    I donated a couple of quid earlier.
    I have no idea what I was doing.

I am a little tipsy right now. I must have appeared to be paralytic when I was at your table.
  • edited June 2013
    Thanks Jac i did notice your name possibly first time i have played with you, i kept having the goods against you so you can just pretend you kept making hero folds against me...lol
  • edited June 2013

i'd expect you to do well in the promo even if your aint playing as many tables as some are. i'd expect you to make more points because your a lot more active than the ones just waiting on big on big. i think theres only 2 names missing from leaderboard that i would expect to be up there.

i know i was top on the current leaderboard but im not putting in a big effort. the last one burned me out a bit so im playing more to the hours im used to. im the same as you, i would be happy with top 5.

ive got to stop donating to you lol. i had a shocker this morning/lunchtime.

• edited June 2013
    Yeah the good thing about this promo is its over a longer space of time so just the normal grind is enough to earn a bonus of some kind the way i play i could easily lose whatever that bonus is in a few sessions if im playing overly long just to grind out for the promo so not placing too much significance on it.

Yeah not really worth burning yourself out- your normal grind will see you good for a nice bonus and i agree I think there is two names guarenteed to be up there with you and c/d so i reckon your definetly guarenteed at least top 4 then hopefully i can get 5th or as close to it as possible, in regards to donating to me just view it as a loan that will no doubt find its way back to you in the coming weeks lol gl at the tables.
  • edited June 2013
    so are you destroying tintin on the nl10 tables benc?
    please don't scare him or devonfish away back to the nl4 because while I am have bad times the last thing I want is for a aggressive player such as him to drop back down at the minute the only real aggressor I know much of is Larson on my tables the rest are very passive because I probably could have lost so much more at times.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Cash 10nl + diary.:
    Pretty much as soon as i sat down, NH! - these are the situations when i always look at the positive and think well thats £30 gained as if they are full stacked they are taking alot more. Z Small blind   £0.10 £0.10 £48.56 benc Big blind   £0.20 £0.30 £39.80   Your hole cards K K       x Raise   £0.40 £0.70 £9.40 hr1966 Fold         moose28970 Fold         Z Fold         benc Raise   £1.60 £2.30 £38.20 x All-in   £9.40 £11.70 £0.00 benc Call   £8.00 £19.70 £30.20 benc Show K K         Show Q Q       Flop     Q 5 10       Turn     3       River     Q       x Win Four Queens £18.71   £18.71 This was oppo who i have a bit of history with at hypers- never seen them at a cash table though, i know i can showdown light sometimes but this is ridiculous... cue him telling me to f/o and a cxnt lol hr1966 Small blind   £0.10 £0.10 £11.75 moose28970 Big blind   £0.20 £0.30 £15.27 SpawnyGit Sit out           Your hole cards A A       Z Raise   £1.00 £1.30 £47.86 benc Raise   £3.80 £5.10 £36.83 deller88 Fold         hr1966 Fold         moose28970 Fold         Z Call   £2.80 £7.90 £45.06 Flop     8 2 Q       Z Check         benc Bet   £6.00 £13.90 £30.83 Z Raise   £12.00 £25.90 £33.06 benc All-in   £30.83 £56.73 £0.00 Z Call   £24.83 £81.56 £8.23 Z Show 10 A       benc Show A A       Turn     5       River     A       benc Win Three Aces £79.76   £79.76
    Posted by benc
    Wow the AA hand, u must of really annoyed that guy in the hu matchs u played against him as to do that in a 400bb pot with A high means he must hate u, which is perfect as u got paided off lovely in this hand lol
  • edited June 2013
    lol Craig if anyone gets destroyed by the regs it's me paying them off when they always have it, i make my money from the soft spots.., tintin and devon on the odd oppurtunity i have had to share a table with them are definetly not soft spots and i'm pretty sure they won't need to be dropping back down so your safe for the moment.

@Robbie, yeah when i used to grind hypers i used to get some abuse in the chatbox, although that is a recurring theme HU i guess peoples natural reaction to being bullied (in the game) is to fight back influenced purely on negative emotion rather than logic which leads to awful decisions like the one above, i thinkt hey expect me to limp and only bet when i have it when i play HU lol i have even had people ask me why i'm ruioning the game before when i kept raising there limps lol.
  • edited June 2013
    Played for couple of hours between 5-7 up to 8 tables at one point again with tables and breaking and the lack of new ones spawning i decided to add a couple of nl8. Was a completly standard session flopped a set against a nits AA and got paid, donated a stack to a fellow reg then lost another stack with QQ to the nutflush druw all in on the flop. Was feeling quite tired and it began to feel like a bit of a grind towards the end of the two hours, went swimming earlier for first time in ages so may be tired because of that so decided that 2 hours would be enough today and to just chill out this evening and do something non poker related, i wan't to do well in the promo but there isn't really a point of playing just for the sake of it as i could quite easily lose 5-10bis quickly if i force myself to play tired.

Anyway another small profit which is good and hopefully i wont fall out of the top 10 of the promo by taking it easy today.

Cash
    Hours:2
    Tables (1 session 6-8 tabling 10NL-8NL)
    Profit: +£4.71

Cash Week total: £110.26
  • edited June 2013
    Just finished a session to finish up for the evening, played earlier this afternoon for an hour and a half it was a disaster that ended about-60 got coolered a few times then went into tilt/donation mode so snapped left all my tables and played a bit of HU. Away from poker i had a really good day and some good news about my marks for disseration as was a bit worried about whether i had messed that up, then went to an art showing of my gfs work later, not really my scene , free wine though lol and it probably stopped me donating more during the early evening hours. Came back and played a second session from about 9.30 played much better, started the session with two sickening coolers but just played on and it was pretty standard session from there. Theme of the day was getting a big pair pre flop against a short stack them smooth calling 3 bets then jamming in the rest of there stack with like a2o hitting there A on the river or flopping it lol still i've made enough from them guys this week so they have to have there good days to keep coming back, also was really impressed with a call a semi-reg made against me near the end of the session with ak high against my busted flush draw not something you see often at 10nl so gotta respect that.

Cash
    Sessions:2
    Hours:4
    Tables ( 6-8 tabling 10NL)
    Profit: -£66.13

Cash Week total: £44.13

HU today:
    Profit: £17

Since i started the track on 17/05 HU is still showing as my most profitable game so i need to motivate myself to grind more of them, cash im in good  profit which is a positive considering i'm getting used to it and playing a few tables, hopefully i wont have too many other horrible sessions and will show a profit by the end of the promo plus the bonus of getting a decent place.

• edited June 2013

keep it going benc,
    you are doing really well mate.
    those losing sessions are never nice are they,but as long as you keep playing your game,you'll be fine.
    less than 65 hrs of promo to go!!!  lol
    gl today
    dev
  • edited June 2013
    Thanks dev, haven't really played that much last two days but still up in the top 5 of the leaderboard so must of donated alot to the rake  lol just playing when i feel like it atm rather than purposefully putting in long grinds. You still on a break atm havn't seen you at all?
  • edited June 2013
    yeah,
    haven't played since last sunday...
    got withdrawal symptons last night ...
    so put $7 (£4.75) lol into another site,and played some 1c/2c cash  lol
    won $3.01 though so happy.. b/roll is into double figures already.. $10.01  lol

going to try and get it up to $40 then move up to 2c/4c   lol
    (last of the 'big spenders' )

prob be back playing nl10 again when promo finishes,next week.

keep grinding mate.
    gl
    dev
  • edited June 2013
    Finished up the for the day, ended up playing alot more HU than cash again, although the profit from hu probably outweighs any bonus i could realistically aim for in the cash promo, still wan't to make sure i get in top 10 but it's not the sole priority.

Cash started badly again when i played about an hour earlier on in the afternoon, couldn't catch a break lost two buyins straight away i think KK to AA standard and i can't remember the other one then i just broke even till the end of the session. Second session went alot better i upped to 9 tables for couple of hours and apart from getting AA cracked by QQ and making a loose call with aq against ak against a fellow reg it was a good profitable session which managed to turn around my days cash profit. It would be nice to show a 3 figure profit after whatever bonus i get is added up to profit across the whole promo but i'm aware i could easily still end up in a loss, still it's good to not have had a disastrous start to properly multitabling cash.

Hu i had a really good day, saw my favourite reg sitting at 10.50 hypers managed to beat him 7-1 before he stopped rematching and across the day was up a fair bit on 5.25s. Just seem to be making the right decisions alot more consistently HU and that is obviously showing in my winrate, i have  a 10.6% roi over the last 353 games since i started tracking again and my mindset now compared to this time last month is miles different, hopefully i can get somewhere between 7-10% over 1000 games.

Cash
    Sessions:2
    Hours:3
    Tables ( 6-9 tabling 10NL)
    Profit: £13.66

Cash Week total: £57.69

HU today: (taken from scope)
    Profit: £101.25
  • edited June 2013
    Seems like your playing your A game lately, well done mate, may the winning long continue.