You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

WSOP 2013 One Stop Shop

Comments

• edited May 2013

...and swimming around near the back of the field....Michael Phelps - 8,825

Excellent. Now we are cooking.
  • edited May 2013
    Just spotted on Facebook

I won a World Series of Poker (WSOP) bracelet today, which also came with $84,915!

• edited May 2013
    As much as absolutely hate the line taken/choices made with the VLV promo...

Credit where it's due this is a great thread, and the effort put in by Tikay is commendable to say the least.
    I know for one, I'll be thoroughly enjoying it. Great work Mr. Kendall.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: WSOP 2013 One Stop Shop:
    As much as absolutely hate the line taken/choices made with the VLV promo... Credit where it's due this is a great thread, and the effort put in by Tikay is commendable to say the least. I know for one, I'll be thoroughly enjoying it. Great work Mr. Kendall.
    Posted by Smitalos
    +1 to both comments
    smitty with the nuts as always
  • edited May 2013
    As much as absolutely hate the line taken/choices made with the VLV promo... Credit where it's due this is a great thread, and the effort put in by Tikay is commendable to say the least. I know for one, I'll be thoroughly enjoying it. Great work Mr. Kendall.
    Posted by Smitalos
    +1 to both comments
    smitty with the nuts as always
    lol with the you have timed out but we kept the comment anyway post
  • edited May 2013
    Found it. The interesting thing here is the part about selling action, which is quite a hot debate these days. David reckoned he would not sell for the WSOP Main Event at less than 1.8! I actually asked him after the interview if I could buy some of his Main Event action at 1.8, & he turned me down. "I don't sell action, except to one close friend, & I limit him to 1%".  David happily swims very much against the tide.......he is a smashing lad, & I hope he gets the lot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwECkUxrzd8
    Posted by Tikay10
    can somebody explain to mean what this means please??
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: WSOP 2013 One Stop Shop : can somebody explain to mean what this means please??
    Posted by waller02
    Yes..... Take for example a £1000 buyin tournament

If you sell at face value, you would sell 1% for £10 and for that £10 the staker would be paid 1% of any winnings.

Selling at 1.8 means 1% will cost £10 x 1.8 = £18 and for that £18 the staker would be paid 1% of any winnings.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: WSOP 2013 One Stop Shop : Yes..... Take for example a £1000 buyin tournament If you sell at face value, you would sell 1% for £10 and for that £10 the staker would be paid 1% of any winnings. Selling at 1.8 means 1% will cost £10 x 1.8 = £18 and for that £10 the staker would be paid 1% of any winnings.
    Posted by Slykllist
    cheers mate
  • edited May 2013

Tikay told me that Dylan offers to sell at 0.25 and still no takers ;)

• edited May 2013
    I was playing at the Rio in the same room as when Brammer was on the final table. People at my table didn't really know what was going on! Was a great atmosphere. Hopefully more of the same this year, I think the Brits have a great chance of some bracelets this year. Also, love the thread Tikay!
    Posted by MattBates
    We were also playing in this room during the Brammer FT, alongside Scotty and Dylan.  Was hilarious. Brit Rail of epic proportions.

Most ridiculous moment of the whole trip was seeing "Dan Edler" getting shown a friendly hand to the door after instigating various acts of sillyness; I recall the Shoe-Bomb (like a Jaegar-Bomb, but with a shoe (obvs)), the box that doubled up as a glass and the curious case of the flying shoes.

"Shoes off ... if you LOVE Brammer ...."

)

(photo courtesy of the pokerdeck.com
  • edited May 2013
    During both WSOPs, I've witnessed first hand many shoe bombs being consumed in the hallways of the Rio.

Can we get Tikay to do a show bomb this year?  Substitute the alcoholo for a latte of course...
  • edited May 2013
    During both WSOPs, I've witnessed first hand many shoe bombs being consumed in the hallways of the Rio. Can we get Tikay to do a show bomb this year?  Substitute the alcoholo for a latte of course...
    Posted by scotty77
    There are some that would argue Tikay's shows have bombed numerous times before now ;)
  • edited June 2013

Good morning.

Before I reply to the various Posts & questions - do keep them coming please, the Thread is warming up nicely - we have some wonderful news from Vegas.......
  • edited June 2013

Brit Final Table Alert!

David Vamplew, who we have followed since the start of this Tourney, is on the Final Table of the $5k Eight-Handed thing.

$48,000 locked up, $553,000 to the winner.

Unless I am mis-reading something, the chips are spread around in an almost birarrely lopsided manner. The Chip Leader has almost half the chips in play, 3,420,000, & the other 7 all have between 430,000 & 630,000 each. Blinds are 12,000/24,000/4,000.

I anticipate some laddering games.
  • edited June 2013

The Final Table will begin at 2pm (Vegas time) tomorrow, Sunday.
  • edited June 2013

Meanwhile, the $1,000 Re-Entry NLH affair attracted a whopping field of 3,164, of which just 55 remain, & the winner can look forward to a half million dollar payday, which is quite an ROI.

I cannot see any Brits still in this, but there may be one or two.

Currently 6th in chips is one Kenny Nguyen. ("Nguyen" is pronounced "Win").

I've never heard of this particular Nguyen, but the most famous Nguyen is of course Scotty - you call me baby & it's all over - but do you realise how many Nguyens there are playing poker in the USA? The question is rhetorical, of course, because you neither know, nor care, but I'm going to tell you anyway.

697. SIX HUNDRED & NINETY SEVEN! (Source, THM Database).

I assume they were originally from South East Asia, where, one assumes, the Nguyen surname is like Smith in England, Jones in Scotland, Patel in India, or Murphy in Ireland.

Fascinating, eh? Perhaps not.....

Anyway, here's an interview I did with the great Scotty Nguyen back in 2009. "Great"? Well if Celeb status counts for anything, yup, - the man is incredibly popular over there, as you can see from all the autograph hunters on his case.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_1BA1qFSrE
  • edited June 2013

The other Event in progess today is one (apart from being LIMIT) which I would die to play, the snappily-titled $1,500 Limit Omaha/7 Card Stud Hi Low Eight or better.

Ooh, I SO want to play Events like that.

And guess who is leading?

None other than Allyn Shulman.

Allyn is the wife of Barry Shulman, who is the CEO of Cardplayer. One of their two sons, Jeff, was a November Niner a few years back, too. Quite a poker playing family, them. Breakfast in the Shulman household must be quite an event.

So I 4 bet him, & guess what he called with? 

Yikes.

Allyn gets a bad press on 2+2 & the like, but she is MUCH better than you may think from all that dreadful toxic hate stuff by anon forum trolls. She won last years Seniors Event to the astonishment of all & sundry, & I can hear everyone saying, "ahh, but a Seniors Event is easy". Maybe, but she had to beat over 4,000 runners (well more zimmer frames than runners) to win it. You try beating a field of 4,000 runners of ANY ability. Not as easy as you may think. 

Hubbie Barry won a WSOP-E a few years ago, & was third in the PCA for a 7 figure bink, & the Son made a November Nine. That's quite a family affair.

I have some private issues with Barry over some unpaid invoices for articles I used to contribute to Cardplayer every month, & he can be a little surly (not as surly & grumpy as me, to be fair), & Allyn is, at times, not the most warm & outgoing young lady you'll ever meet, as she sits there with her diamond encrusted smartphone.

But we should not begrudge either Barry or Allyn credit where credit is due for their poker abilities, & it is a shame the kids diss them so terribly, & it is no credit to poker.

Anyway, here is Allyn in one of her better moods. I genuinely hopes she wins this Event.     

• edited June 2013

.......are you playing the Seniors Event this year Tikay?....or is there an 'age limit' and you have sadly missed it by 10 or 20 years.
  • edited June 2013

I have often mentioned that when playing the weird 4 card variants, PLO8 & the like, you meet a different type of player, & that Event Allyn is leading is no exception.

I spotted Norman Chad's name there, jeez, I so want to be him!

Max Pescatori, Jeff Lissandro, Eli Elezra, Todd brunson. Todd could not be more unlike his dad, Doyle, who is a perfect Gent.

Brian Hastings, Matusow, Nick Shulman (no relative to the other Shulmans, as far as I know), David Sklansky, & the wonderfully named Brett Jungblut.

Every table must be a fun table.

Oh, & two more Nguyens - Scotty, & Men, aka "Men the Master". 

Men Nguyen is quite a guy. It is rumoured that he coaches/mentors a lot of players, or used to, the Binion family once claimed more Tournament winners were coached by Men Nguyen than anyone else. Instead of charging a fee, he takes a cut of every Tournament they win. If only I could do that, I'd be in the poor house by now.

He also funded an orphanage in Vietnam, & supports many Vietnsamese charities. His name was mired in an alleged cheating scandal a while back, but I don't think it was ever proven.

Some right characters in Live Poker, eh?

• edited June 2013

great stuff tikay .... have you got links for the wsop livestreams

• edited June 2013
    [QUOTE].......are you playing the Seniors Event this year Tikay?....or is there an 'age limit' and you have sadly missed it by 10 or 20 years.
    Posted by MAXALLY

Nah, WAY too young, me.

As it happens, I HAD intended to play it actually.

I was booked to fly out on the 11th of June, & play the WSOP Seniors Event on Friday 14th. But then 861 asked me to do the "Royal Ascot Preview" Show on Thursday 13th, so now I don't travel out until Friday 14th.

If the Seniors thing started at Noon, as most do, I'd just about get there in time to Late Reg if the flight was not delayed (it gets into Vegas at about 1.30pm), but it is a 10am start for some weird reason. Perhaps they think old peeps can't do late nights? Not wrong either, imo.

Anyway, I've missed it again, so thats that. Luckily, there is a $600 PLO8 starting at 4pm that day at The Venetian. Oooohhh, deal me in.......   

• edited June 2013
    great stuff tikay .... have you got links for the wsop livestreams
    Posted by sunnyhil03
    As far as I know, ONLY Final Tables are being streamed from the WSOP.

I'm not sure I'm allowed to post links to it, but I'll ask upstairs, & see what they say. If not, google is your friend.

• edited June 2013
    Great updates tikay keep up the good work il certainly be reading it all. Shame you cant play the seniors cos we all know you would have crushed all those 'kids'.

There was a table of death in the mixed game, 4 very good players inc Vanessa Selbst and Jason Mercier sat next to each other!!! eeek.

Speaking of Selbst, did anyone else find her sky poker top tip funny? It was like an ironic levelling war with Mcphee just rumbling on and on, she said try to avoid good players and pick on bad (this not long after they had gone to war deep in tourney with junk hands).
  • edited June 2013
    Have you seen or heard anything about last years winner Greg Merson, since I see him win the wsop main event iv hardly seen him in any tourneys or anything.  He did have a well publitised drug problem in which he overcome....just hope him being clean is still the case.
  • edited June 2013

Oooh!

David Vamplew ended up finishing 2nd in Event #2, for a very pleasing $342,450.

No bracelet, but a third of a million dollars is some consolation.

Very well done David.
  • edited June 2013

Apart from Omaha & Texas Holdem, what other types of poker is being played 
  • edited June 2013
    Have you seen or heard anything about last years winner Greg Merson, since I see him win the wsop main event iv hardly seen him in any tourneys or anything.  He did have a well publitised drug problem in which he overcome....just hope him being clean is still the case.
    Posted by robbie1992

He's more of a cash game player than a tournament player, he's recently got into the big cash games in Macau for instance. There was an extended interview with him on one of the recent ESPN "Poker Edge" podcasts
  • edited June 2013
       Apart from Omaha & Texas Holdem, what other types of poker is being played 
    Posted by DTWBANDIT
    Morning Michael.

Ignoring regular Texas Hold Em & Omaha (high, & hi-low) there are Bracelet Events for......

Eight Game Mix. (No Limit Hold Em, Limit Hold Em, 7 card Razz, 7 card stud, 7 card Stud Hi-Lo, PLO, 2-7 Triple Draw Lowball)

7 Card Stud

7 Card Stud Hi-Lo 8 or better

HORSE (Limit Hold Em, PLO8, 7 Card Stud, 7 card Razz, 7 crd Stud Hi-lo 8 or better).

7 card Razz

10 Game Mix 6 handed (as per Eight Game Mix plus Limit Badugi & 2-7 TD Limit Lowball)

2-7 Triple Draw Limit Lowball

Poker Players Championship, $50,000 Entry (all variants)

Open Face Chinese (this is NOT a bracelet Event).

In addition, there are.....

Full ring,

8 handed

6 handed

4 handed

Heads Up

Shootouts

Ante Only

Mixed Max (NLH, but Day One plays 9 handed, Day Two 6 handed, Day Three Heads Up).

And there are still folks complaining that there is not enough variety! Poker players, eh?
  • edited June 2013

In that $1,000 Re-Entry thing, there were a few minor cashes for the Brits, including.....

30 Sunny Chatta $11,361

141 Samad Razavi $2,961

Sunny was one of the founders of the original poker collective called "Hit Squad"( NOT the Sky Poker one!, this was before Sky Poker began), which included Sunny & his brother, James Akenhead, Praz Bansi & Karl Mahrenholz.

They are all superb players, & they started out playing tenner rebuys at the old Gutshot Club, back in the day when one of the dealers at the Gutshot was.....Jen Mason.

Praz does not play much these days, he does a lot of sports betting, & is football mad. James still plays, but only big stuff, he travels a lot. When James Final Tabled the WSOP Main, Neil Channing had purchased a big lump of his action, 25% or 50% I seem to recall, oat dinner the previous night. Marv.... 

Sunny has sold a chunk of his action in this years WSOP, including Bellagio Events, WSOP regular Events, & the WSOP main, so his investors are off to a nice start.

Sam has sold a chunk of WSOP action, too. 

Karl Mahrenholz now helps run an Online Poker skin on i-Poker, & he works vey hard at it. His girlfriend is Amy Trodd, & she is pretty handy at the poker, too, she used to work for Ladbrokes, but I think that arrangement ended.

My earliest memory of James Akenhead was when we used to play the big Live Events, & he had a quite extraordinary ability to play down the streets.

In the early levels, at 25-50, he would open EVERY pot to 125, even from UTG, & you know how it is in early levels, folks like to splash around, nobody folds, everyone peels, so he'd be out of position to 6 callers & yet, somehow, he still crushed. You try doing that, it is some neat trick.

Praz? He was just awesome.

You don't EVER want to share tables with James or Praz. Ever.    

• edited June 2013

The $1,500 "Millionaire Maker" is underway.

The name derives from the Guaranteed top prize of at least $1,000,000.

An astonishing 6,343 players entered over two opening days. Can you even BEGIN to imagine the logistics of organising over 3,000 players per flight & over 6,000 in total?

6,343 players. Wow, just wow.

The winner will actually receive just shy of $1,200,000. Not bad for $1,500.