You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

WSOP 2013 One Stop Shop

Comments

• edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: WSOP 2013 One Stop Shop:
    In Response to Re: WSOP 2013 One Stop Shop : Morning Adam. Best advice I can give you? Give the money to Natalie to play instead of you. She'll talk them to death. Serious answer? For the extra $400, I'd play the WSOP event. MUCH bigger field, much better structure, & the chance of a Bracelet.   If the extra $400 is a stretch for you (which I doubt) I'm pretty sure I could round up 5 or 6 Sky Poker regulars in Vegas who would buy 5% or 10% each.   See you there. I'll be based in my usual office every morning, the WSOP Media Room, Pole Position, Seat 1, Row 1.      
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thanks Tikay, top response!

You are the third person to say basically exactly the same thing about playing the WSOP so I reckon my mind is just about made up.  I should be ok for the extra $400 but thanks for the offer to sort staking...I might look into that more in the future.  See you on Saturday!
  • edited June 2013
    ill introduce myself at the ceasers plo08 on the 26th tikay . great thread and updates btw
  • edited June 2013

I have to say this thread is making me so jealous im not going this year,I wish all sky players all the poker luck in the world and please keep the updates coming its fantastic reading,Roll on 2014 when i will be there competing in 4 events.

• edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: WSOP 2013 One Stop Shop : I'll try and post as many updates as I can while you're away, I may have to miss the odd day or two but otherwise I can keep this thread ticking over
    Posted by FCHD
    Top work Mr FCHD, thank you.

Communityyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
  • edited June 2013
    ill introduce myself at the ceasers plo08 on the 26th tikay . great thread and updates btw
    Posted by engy
    See you there!
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: WSOP 2013 One Stop Shop : Further to my earlier reply, why no clear transparency that a deal had been done BEFORE the commencement of the FT of 6? I found it strange that 6th place was awarded 73,000 euros in chat, when it was 243,000 in reality. Furthermore, when the 'millionaire' check is presented, surely this is false advertising?. With the exposure out there today via the media, surely being open and honest about the pay outs would of been more beneficial?
    Posted by MAXALLY
    It was announced BEFORE play resumed that a deal had been done, or at least it was on quality poker forums.

The sleight of hand as to prizes, & the novelty cheque, is a matter you'll need to raise with the Organisers, it was because ISPT were making a TV programme I believe. It never affected the play, or anyone's money, so no improper deception took place, "artistic licence", but a few people who were railing for free seemed to get a bit excited about. Everybody was paid exactly what they were entitled to be paid, not even 56p short.   

• edited June 2013

Good morning.

Event #9, the Shootout, had a Final Table comprising of 1 x Bulgarian, (Simeon Naydenov, 10th) 1 x Italian (Alessandro Longobardi) & 8 American chaps. David Bakes Baker was the only known notable, he finished 6th.

• edited June 2013

Event # 10, the LIMIT Hold Em is currently heads up.

72 players were paid, of which exactly two were European, being 1 x Ukranian, & 1 x Italian, everyone else who cashed was from the USA, with the exception of two Canadian chappies.

Limit poker, see?
  • edited June 2013

In Event #12, the $2,600 Six Max where we may have expected the Brits to do well, 23 remain, with only one Brit amongst them, Gary Pearce, & he has a bowl, around 20 Bigs.

As far as I can see, Gary has exactly ONE Live cash of note, & that was a min-cash 5 years ago in a WSOP-E Sidey. Must be quite a thrill for him. He is guaranteed at least $14,000. Go Gary!

The Dane we mentioned yesterday, Mickey Petersen, is still in, as is one of my favourite players, Jeff Lisandro, who claims to be an Italian. There is also a Hungarian, an Isreali, & one from Brazil of all places. Nuts player imo.

The rest are all from the US of A.
  • edited June 2013

Event # 12 was a $1,500 affair, so you'd expect a monster field, but it only got 523 runners.

Why so?

Pot limit.

For reasons which escape me, Pot Limit is not at all popular these days, which is a great shame, as it is a game of great skill where brain beats brawn more often than not. IMO, of course. 

Plenty of Brits played, & historically, we are very good at PLO, & we win more than our share of Pot Limit WSOP Bracelets, but we did not do so good this time. Not a good year so far for the Brit contingent. 

Amongst those who had a deep run but failed to cash were..... 

Neil Channing

Miss Boeree

David Vamplew

Flushy

Rupert Elder

John Eames

Brits still in with a chance are....

Peter Gould

Chris Brammer

Of those remaining, (65 as of now, 54 paid) Jason Mercier looks well placed to go very deep.
  • edited June 2013

Finally, today, Event # 13 was the $5,000 Seven Card Stud Hi-Lo, an absolutely lovely Event to play I would imagine even though it is played as LIMIT.  Only 210 runners though, of which 168 remain.

Stu Rutter is hanging in, with around 15 x Bigs, though in Limit Hi-Low, 15 bigs is plenty, even half that & you are not in terribad shape. 

The name that caught my eye is Norman Chad, it'd be absolutely wonderful if he had a deep run
    . He made the Final Table of this event in both 2009 & 2011, & in 2012, he finished 6th in the Hi-Lo Stud/Omaha, so he clearly revels in the 4 card & non-flop split pot games.

Norman does a weekly column called "Couch Slouch" & it includes an "Ask the Slouch" section, & if your question gets answered, the person who sent it in gets a prize of a whole $1.25. Maybe we should try that here. We could go as high as £2.20. 

Norman's Twitter feed is an absolute delight to follow.

A few days ago he Tweeted.....

"....WSOP update: Out in 61st. I objected, but dealer insisted I could not continue without chips. Fine. I'll just take my business elsewhere....."

Today's gems from Norman include.....

"....WSOP 5k stud/8 event, thru 4 levels: Started w/ 15,000 chips, now have 14,200. I am treading water in a bathtub that has no drain stopper....."

You can follow Norman on @NormanChad

• edited June 2013

I hope Jason does really well, if not wins, #event 12 (he is obv in my dream team!)

Also, in #event 13, I spotted little Danny doing well in 18th place plus Jason again on the list at 41st. Does this mean these events are now played on different days when going into Day2's?

• edited June 2013
    Events that finished yesterday

WSPO9 $3000 NLH Shootout - 477 entrants
    Won by American Cliff Josephy for a few bucks shy of $300,000, winning his second bracelet (he won a 7-card stud in 2005)

WSOP10 $1500 Limit Holdem - 645 entrants
    Won by American Brent Wheeler who  took down his first bracelet and a top prize of $191,000

Events ongoing

WSOP11 $2500 6 Max NLH - 924 entrants
    After day 2 of 3, 14 remain chasing the top prize of $473,000. Levi Burger has a decent chip stack, but there is one Brit still chasing the glory, a Gary Pearce who lies in 12th spot overnight. Chris Boorman busted in 25th, just before the somewhat controversial Jeff Lisandro who departed in 17th.

WSOP12 $1500 Pot limit Holdem, 535 entrants
    Only 62 remain so they will play down to a final table today. As well as Jason Mercier (see Tikay's post above), Allen Cunningham (Carlo's favourite) has a decent stack, while 2011 ME runner-up Martin Stasko has below average to come back to today

WSOP13 $5,000 Seven Card Stud Hi-Low Split-8 or Better 210 entrants
    A niche game to be fair, but a very interesting one, equally as good in my opinion as Omaha Hi-Low. over two-thirds of the field made Day 2. Most of the big names are still in (e.g. Negreanu, Matusow, T Brunson, Elezra, Katchalov, Scotty baby, Hellmuth as well as the old-timers mentioned by our very own old timer.

To Start Today
    WSOP14 $1500 NLH - 3 Day tournament

Maxally - the two events Mercier is still in will be starting at 1pm & 2pm Vegas time today, so he may well be running between the two (but I guess concentrating on event 12 as that is a faster moving event and he can afford to miss quite a bit of the Stud Hi-Lo

• edited June 2013
    WSOP13 $5,000 Seven Card Stud Hi-Low Split-8 or Better 210 entrants A niche game to be fair, but a very interesting one, equally as good in my opinion as Omaha Hi-Low. over two-thirds of the field made Day 2. Most of the big names are still in (e.g. Negreanu, Matusow, T Brunson, Elezra, Katchalov, Scotty baby, Hellmuth as well as the old-timers mentioned by our very own old timer.
    Our very own Stu Rutter is in this as tikay mentioned so ive been keeping an eye on it, no updates on hands but he did just go from 16000 to 33000 and has outlasted Scotty Nguyen, Norman Chad, and Phil Hellmuth, about 100 remain with Stu 40th ish, only top 24 paid

GO STU, GO RUTTER, GO GO GO 

Gary Pearce, the brit in the 6 handed event sadly bust just before FT
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: WSOP 2013 One Stop Shop : Our very own Stu Rutter is in this as tikay mentioned so ive been keeping an eye on it, no updates on hands but he did just go from 16000 to 33000 and has outlasted Scotty Nguyen, Norman Chad, and Phil Hellmuth, about 100 remain with Stu 40th ish, only top 24 paid GO STU, GO RUTTER, GO GO GO  Gary Pearce, the brit in the 6 handed event sadly bust just before FT
    Posted by Janana
    Sad to relate, but Stu Rutter is OUT now.

He wrote a brief piece elsewhere about his Tourney, & the exit hand, & I'm sure he won't mind me reproducing it as follows....

"....Reached a peak of 52,000 (from 15k start), but busted on a unavoidable spiral of not winning a pot.

There was a frustrating moment, where I tried to rep the better low on 6th in a three way pot, where Matesow had a better low, showing (Xx)2238 against my (23)3864 board. I checked 6th, the obvious high bet, Matesow called, and I came in with a check-raise, only for the whole table to then realise that the dealer had got the order of action wrong, as there was an all-in player who should have acted first.

Cue pandemonium, Matesow inevitably getting really tilted at the floor, and claiming my raise should not stand, and the floor eventually ruling in my favour. However, I had a feeling that enough had happened to lose me the pot, as Matesow was now over the edge, and not going to pass on 7th, where a calm Matesow might well have done. I was going to give up on the bluff, but actually backed into trip threes, which now looked good for the high half. I bet, the high hand called, and Matesow snapped in the kind of frustrated call of a man who knew he was beat, but couldn't make himself pass.

The high hand had rivered a flush, Matesow was surprised that his 84 low was good, and it was pretty crushing to feel that the decision, albeit going in my favour, may have changed a lot. I am pretty good at taking any beats in live poker, but I found that spot really tough, where another event inadvertedly loses you the pot- or at least possibly so......."
  • edited June 2013
    Events that finished yesterday WSPO9 $3000 NLH Shootout - 477 entrants Won by American Cliff Josephy for a few bucks shy of $300,000, winning his second bracelet (he won a 7-card stud in 2005) WSOP10 $1500 Limit Holdem - 645 entrants Won by American Brent Wheeler who  took down his first bracelet and a top prize of $191,000 Events ongoing WSOP11 $2500 6 Max NLH - 924 entrants After day 2 of 3, 14 remain chasing the top prize of $473,000. Levi Burger has a decent chip stack, but there is one Brit still chasing the glory, a Gary Pearce who lies in 12th spot overnight. Chris Boorman busted in 25th, just before the somewhat controversial Jeff Lisandro who departed in 17th. WSOP12 $1500 Pot limit Holdem, 535 entrants Only 62 remain so they will play down to a final table today. As well as Jason Mercier (see Tikay's post above), Allen Cunningham (Carlo's favourite) has a decent stack, while 2011 ME runner-up Martin Stasko has below average to come back to today WSOP13 $5,000 Seven Card Stud Hi-Low Split-8 or Better 210 entrants A niche game to be fair, but a very interesting one, equally as good in my opinion as Omaha Hi-Low. over two-thirds of the field made Day 2. Most of the big names are still in (e.g. Negreanu, Matusow, T Brunson, Elezra, Katchalov, Scotty baby, Hellmuth as well as the old-timers mentioned by our very own old timer. To Start Today WSOP14 $1500 NLH - 3 Day tournament Maxally - the two events Mercier is still in will be starting at 1pm & 2pm Vegas time today, so he may well be running between the two (but I guess concentrating on event 12 as that is a faster moving event and he can afford to miss quite a bit of the Stud Hi-Lo
    Posted by FCHD
    Fantastic update, thank you.
  • edited June 2013

I will be unable to do the usual Updates this morning, as I will be Offline by the time play in Vegas finishes for the day, & am on the road all day today from around 9am.

It is unlikely I will be able to do them tomorrow, either, as I will be at SPT Brimingham all day.

Back Sunday, I hope.
  • edited June 2013
    Can I just be a bit cheeky and use this thread to ask if Stu Rutter is indeed still "our own" Stu Rutter? He doesn't seem to have been on the show in ages. Is he still with Sky?

I hope so. He's a very good explainer of things.

Also, one more question: Is 'explainer' a word? I have my doubts.
  • edited June 2013
    Can I just be a bit cheeky and use this thread to ask if Stu Rutter is indeed still "our own" Stu Rutter? He doesn't seem to have been on the show in ages. Is he still with Sky? I hope so. He's a very good explainer of things. Also, one more question: Is 'explainer' a word? I have my doubts.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    At present, no, due to an unfortunate contractual clash, not of our making, & to some degree, not of Stu's making, either. All parties - Stu, the Business, & myself, worked very hard to overcome the problem but it was not possible.  

We remain on excellent terms with Stu, both the business, & myself, & hopefully he will return at some stage in the future.

Agree 100%, he explains poker exceedingly well.

Quite an interesting story, but one for another day.

• edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: WSOP 2013 One Stop Shop : At present, no, due to an unfortunate contractual clash, not of our making, & to some degree, not of Stu's making, either. All parties - Stu, the Business, & myself, worked very hard to overcome the problem but it was not possible.   We remain on excellent terms with Stu, both the business, & myself, & hopefully he will return at some stage in the future. Agree 100%, he explains poker exceedingly well.   Quite an interesting story, but one for another day.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    That is a pity. I'm sad to hear it.
  • edited June 2013

Completed events

WSOP10 - $1,500 Limit Hold'em 645 entrants
    Brent Wheeler took down the $191,000 first prize, denying Canadian Mark Mierkalns. Malissia Zapata finished 3rd for the best female finish so far this year.

WSOP11 - $2,500 6Max NLH, 924 entrants
    Levi Berger knocked out all of his final table opponents single handed to take his first bracelet and $473,000

Events in progress

WSOP12 - $1,500 Pot Limit Holdem, 535 entrants
    Down to a final table, with Eric Crain the chip leader. Crain has already had a deep run in WSOP8 - the 8-game mix, but lying second in chips is the dangerous Allen Cunningham. The 2-tabling Jason Mercier ended up 27th, while Martin Stazsko earned a min-cash

WSOP13 - $5,000 Seven-Card Stud Hi-Low 8-or-Better, 201 entrants
    Day 2 is still in play with 22 players remaining, so they're at least in the money.
    Eli Elezra, Mike Matusow & Euegene Katchalov are hangnig on with small stacks, with the chip leader
    being Israeli Yuval Bronshtein. Sad to report the likes of Mike Sexton, Norman Chad and Stuart Rutter have
    been eliminated

WSOP14, $1500 NLH - 1819 entrants
    Day 1 is about to draw to a close, with the money bubble approaching. Sam Trickett is still in (albeit with a
    small stack, Neil Channing & David Vamplew with a slightly bigger stack. Chip leader is Zal Arani, with double 2010 bracelet winner Frank Kassela close behind. Barry Shulman (these Shulmans get everywhere) is still there
    along with at least 1 Mizrachi brother, Phil Ivey, Joe Cada & Carlos Mortensen

Starting today
    WSOP15 - $1500 Horse
    WSOP16 - $10000 NLH Heads Up

• edited June 2013
    Shame about Stu being knocked out but even more so not being on Sky no more :-(

Fantastic thread btw, but can I request FCHD to up the font size slightly?  I'm an oldgit with failing eyesight!
  • edited June 2013
    I don't flit about with the font size, it's the standard size.

If I remember, I'll try and increase it for tomorrow's update and see how it looks, but I expect then we'll get some people saying it's too large!!!!
  • edited June 2013
    Test update for Solack

WSOP13 has ended Day 2 with 20 left, Yuval Bronshtein leads with 433K, Eric Rodawig (who won the 10K bracelet in this game in 2011 lies 2nd with 323K and then no one else has over 230K. Those in contention include David "bakes" Baker, Gavin Smith & Mike Matusow, all in the top half of those left.

WSOP14 has also bagged up for the night with 204 of the />1800 original entrants making Day 2. Grant Curnow now has the chip lead, with Frank Kassela still second and Erick Lindgren now appearing in the picture along with Paul Wasicka who was ME runner-up and the chief victim of Jamie Gold's run as the "luckiest poker player on the planet" - WSOP's words not mine!
  • edited June 2013

Cheers for updating the update thread, so to speak, FCHD. I appreciate it.
    You may have to increase the font size a little more though....solly is 89.

I also hope to see Tikay's name in future updates.....not writing them.....actually being in the top stacks/FT's of events.
  • edited June 2013
  • edited June 2013

Great report FCHD, thank you.
  • edited June 2013
    Hi all.  I have just got back from Vegas yesterday.  Just thought I would share my experience with everyone as there seems to be a lot of interest on this thread for all things WSOP.

I won a satellite at my local club for a £3k package which included entry to Event 3 $1000.  This was a dream for me as it was my first trip to vegas and obviously my chance to pit my wits against, supposedly the best players in the world. 

I am a low stakes player and have played on SKY for several years.  I did very well in my early years, admittedly through an aggressive poker instinct rather than skill.  I got made redundant from work 3 years ago and things have been a struggle since then, but I still play as much as I can and often as I can, never losing the infatuation with the game and people involved.  

With in the last year I have started to read alot more books, searching forums (although not posting - which is hopefully something I am going to change, and working through hands ands situation with my fellow poker freinds.  

Any way, to get back to the thread - I played Event 3 which had a massive turnout of approx 3200 runners.  I managed to cash as well in 222nd. So 1 for 1.  On my first table was John Duthie who won the first poker million and i beleive is involved with the EPT tour.  Then joined, after a few levels 'Greg Raymer' , man can this guy talk.  I do not think he stopped talking from the minute he joined to up to 20 mins after he was knocked out!  The guy who knocked him out received a fossil inscribed with the details of the knockout which I thought was decent of him - he said if the guy who knocks him out is a dou-che he does not give the fossil!  Also had Jake cody on the table opposite, Ivey 2 tbls down and saw Vladimir Geschkenbein (Spelt wrongly?) wandering around at the break.  On day 2 I introduced myself to Sam Razavi and wished him good luck.  At my day 2 table of note was Barry Shulman - who I managed to ko - my AA v his KK.  Was dissapointed when he refused to shake my hand after his exit?

With 250 left I had 60bb at 500/1000/100 and with 1/2mil up top was getting excited, then this hand happened!. Villain has 48bb at the start.  I rasied with 88 utg and got 1 caller from the c/o. flop 8h4d3d (6600) I cbet to 3800, villain calls. Turn(14400) is jh.  I fire again with a big bet of 9750.  The thinking being if he is flush drawing I need to protect my hand by offering the incorrect odds for him to call.  If he has flopped the set (33,44) i am trying to extract as much value as posssible.  Thridly to define my hand and hopefully to define the villains hand better.  Villain calls. River(33900) is 2s.  I see this as a blank- I can not put the villain on a5 or 65 as he would probably not call the turn bet. I am pretty sure he does not have jj as he would probably 3bet pre. So I narrow him down to 33 or 44 - possibly missed flush draws, and the very unlikely aj.  Given this I decide I can value bet the river confident if he shoves I can call.  I could check call this river (allowing him to bluff with missed flush draws, turning his kj/99/1010 hands into a bluff) but given the logic I feel I am so far ahead Ineed to get as much value as I can.  I make it 11250, villain shoves?  He must have 33/44, I call 20k more to win 65k and a top 10 stack with only 250 left in.  Life is great - ohno - what does he have- a5dd! fml.  So #I have 10bb left and shove last hand before break with aqdd, get called by qq and I am out. 

Despite my exit I thouroughly enjoyed my experience, and after virtual railing several others over the years through this forum am glad to be finally able to post my own experience.  

Gl to all those who are planning on playing this year, and anyone who is thinking about and has never been - YOU HAVE TO GO!!!  It will be the best experience of your poker journey thus far!

• edited June 2013
    Hi all.  I have just got back from Vegas yesterday.  Just thought I would share my experience with everyone as there seems to be a lot of interest on this thread for all things WSOP. I won a satellite at my local club for a £3k package which included entry to Event 3 $1000.  This was a dream for me as it was my first trip to vegas and obviously my chance to pit my wits against, supposedly the best players in the world.  I am a low stakes player and have played on SKY for several years.  I did very well in my early years, admittedly through an aggressive poker instinct rather than skill.  I got made redundant from work 3 years ago and things have been a struggle since then, but I still play as much as I can and often as I can, never losing the infatuation with the game and people involved.   With in the last year I have started to read alot more books, searching forums (although not posting - which is hopefully something I am going to change, and working through hands ands situation with my fellow poker freinds.   Any way, to get back to the thread - I played Event 3 which had a massive turnout of approx 3200 runners.  I managed to cash as well in 222nd. So 1 for 1.  On my first table was John Duthie who won the first poker million and i beleive is involved with the EPT tour.  Then joined, after a few levels 'Greg Raymer' , man can this guy talk.  I do not think he stopped talking from the minute he joined to up to 20 mins after he was knocked out!  The guy who knocked him out received a fossil inscribed with the details of the knockout which I thought was decent of him - he said if the guy who knocks him out is a dou-che he does not give the fossil!  Also had Jake cody on the table opposite, Ivey 2 tbls down and saw Vladimir Geschkenbein (Spelt wrongly?) wandering around at the break.  On day 2 I introduced myself to Sam Razavi and wished him good luck.  At my day 2 table of note was Barry Shulman - who I managed to ko - my AA v his KK.  Was dissapointed when he refused to shake my hand after his exit? With 250 left I had 60bb at 500/1000/100 and with 1/2mil up top was getting excited, then this hand happened!. Villain has 48bb at the start.  I rasied with 88 utg and got 1 caller from the c/o. flop 8h4d3d (6600) I cbet to 3800, villain calls. Turn(14400) is jh.  I fire again with a big bet of 9750.  The thinking being if he is flush drawing I need to protect my hand by offering the incorrect odds for him to call.  If he has flopped the set (33,44) i am trying to extract as much value as posssible.  Thridly to define my hand and hopefully to define the villains hand better.  Villain calls. River(33900) is 2s.  I see this as a blank- I can not put the villain on a5 or 65 as he would probably not call the turn bet. I am pretty sure he does not have jj as he would probably 3bet pre. So I narrow him down to 33 or 44 - possibly missed flush draws, and the very unlikely aj.  Given this I decide I can value bet the river confident if he shoves I can call.  I could check call this river (allowing him to bluff with missed flush draws, turning his kj/99/1010 hands into a bluff) but given the logic I feel I am so far ahead Ineed to get as much value as I can.  I make it 11250, villain shoves?  He must have 33/44, I call 20k more to win 65k and a top 10 stack with only 250 left in.  Life is great - ohno - what does he have- a5dd! fml.  So #I have 10bb left and shove last hand before break with aqdd, get called by qq and I am out.  Despite my exit I thouroughly enjoyed my experience, and after virtual railing several others over the years through this forum am glad to be finally able to post my own experience.   Gl to all those who are planning on playing this year, and anyone who is thinking about and has never been - YOU HAVE TO GO!!!  It will be the best experience of your poker journey thus far!
    Posted by BIGSHANN

Hi Bigshann

Ty very much for this insight to the wsop. Great memories eh? Seemed a bit of a rotten hand to lose a lot of chips on but good logic involved i feel. All the best....
  • edited June 2013
    What a shame for Stu Rutter. Imo probably in the top two analysts for sky. It would have been nice for him to upend Matusow, who if you've read his book, is a rather flawed character to say the least. Its odd that hes had some success at poker as he always seem on the edge of tilting, to my mind.
    Have a look on YT at a hand where he refused insurance from Tony G then gets a bad beat v Eric Seidel's who gets runner runner to beat beat Mikes two pairs. consequently he runs off to tell others that he wanted to get insurance!!!
     Pathetic!!