You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

OFFICIAL TOTAL PLAYER THREAD

Comments

• edited January 2010

Just a "nod" to those who get asked to send in hand reviews, & describe their game-play.

The Mentors are quite sharp, & know how many beans make five. So sending in hands where you flopped happy won't cut much ice with them, unless the point you are making is how you skillfully extracted max value from the situation.

Neither should you be troubled if you send in a hand you lost, or had to Pass. We hear about Hero Calls all day & night, but Hero Passes are just as important.

I don't actually know exactly what the Mentors are looking for, & it's actually not my problem. But I'm pretty sure if I were a mentor, the points above would matter to me.

If you have any general questions about Total Player, put them on this Thread, & someone will reply as bestestest as they can. ;) 
  • edited January 2010
    Congrats to all the players who have made it, just 1 Q, i think it was nutter tha layed down QQ in that tournament, how is that even possible? what was the thinking behind it?
    yippeeyapee x
  • edited January 2010
    Tikay interviews Glitterbabe in Newcastle, minutes after it's been announced that he's been picked for Total Player by Ed Giddins.

Total Player Interview - Glitterbabe
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: OFFICIAL TOTAL PLAYER THREAD:
    Tikay interviews Glitterbabe in Newcastle, minutes after it's been announced that he's been picked for Total Player by Ed Giddins. Total Player Interview - Glitterbabe
    Posted by Sky_Des
    That was disappointing.
    I'd assumed that it was going to be more Bombay TV.
  • edited January 2010
    Just a "nod" to those who get asked to send in hand reviews, & describe their game-play. The Mentors are quite sharp, & know how many beans make five. So sending in hands where you flopped happy won't cut much ice with them, unless the point you are making is how you skillfully extracted max value from the situation. Neither should you be troubled if you send in a hand you lost, or had to Pass. We hear about Hero Calls all day & night, but Hero Passes are just as important. I don't actually know exactly what the Mentors are looking for, & it's actually not my problem. But I'm pretty sure if I were a mentor, the points above would matter to me. If you have any general questions about Total Player, put them on this Thread, & someone will reply as bestestest as they can. ;) 
    Posted by Tikay10
    This is pretty much in line with my thinking. Do not send in hand where you flopped the nuts! please....I'd rather you send in a hand where you made a mistake, but learned something from it. I read the explanations - I want to know what you're thinking. Show me a great call...or a great laydown...something marginal where a tough decision had to be made. I'm not as concerned with the results - I'm more interested in why you made such and such a play.

• edited January 2010
    btw, I'm here to talk poker - if anyone has a question, shoot away. We're all (including me) looking to become better players.
  • edited January 2010
    One of the guys should have picked me to coach, anyone can coach Man U, Chelsea etc, but try getting through the leagues with a Sunday morning pub team and prove how good a mentor you really are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited January 2010

Hi

Delighted to be picked, this is a fantastic opportunity like the rest of the guys said so I am looking forward to it. I know a lot of people probably don't recognise me or have not played with me so I'm a little surprised that I got through but it just shows if you do things right it can happen from any category. I'm not experienced and will probably be the youngest left but I believe in my skills and I'm going to give it my best.

At the very least it will be a pleasure to learn from Ed and the rest of the Sky players, hopefully I can take it all on board and go far.

Good luck to everyone else trying to make it. Looking forward to the next stage.

Nick.

• edited January 2010
    btw, I'm here to talk poker - if anyone has a question, shoot away. We're all (including me) looking to become better players.
    Posted by DAVID_T
    Hi David, I saw (well heard) you the other night covering what I presume was 'Total Player' but I wasn't sure if you'd gone for Phil Ivey, Tom Dwan or Gus Hansen? Gus blew nearly $100,000 with pocket Jacks so I don't think he was your choice? ...  lol

Seriously, it was bugging me for a while "where do I know that voice from?" lol
  • edited January 2010
    Congrats Gliterbabe you old luckbox you.  Nice to see you and the missus again in Newcastle.
    We had quite a few of us from 'Camp Ed' there eh...... that's how he'll now be known btw.... Camp Ed!  :) 
    Nice to meet you too Dan.....thought u was a local lad.  Hope all 6 of us can support each other as well as competing.  Should be a fun and very tough few weeks ahead.
  • edited January 2010
    Is there still scope to pick names for TP?

I'd like to see TheGrudge up there and Alex McWhinney (sp?) the Pianoplaya.

And if you wanted a court jester......
  • edited January 2010
    Is there still scope to pick names for TP? I'd like to see TheGrudge up there and Alex McWhinney (sp?) the Pianoplaya. And if you wanted a court jester......
    Posted by BigBluster
    Morning Mr Bluster.

There is still time - just! The Week 5 picks are revealed this Saturday, which leaves next week as the 6th & Final week of "regular" picks. It is possible that there will be one or two no-shows or replacements of the original eighteen picks of course.

As to "picking" names, well they kind of pick themselves, by the established pre-qualifying criteria.

The twelve picks so far & a great mix, & there was a tremendous TP buzz in Newcastle at the SPT, aided by 4 of them being there, & a fifth getting the nod that night!
  • edited January 2010
    One of the guys should have picked me to coach, anyone can coach Man U, Chelsea etc, but try getting through the leagues with a Sunday morning pub team and prove how good a mentor you really are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by leapylee57
    I can't speak for the other mentors, but I'm not trying to prove anything. I just want to win...
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: OFFICIAL TOTAL PLAYER THREAD : Morning Mr Bluster. There is still time - just! The Week 5 picks are revealed this Saturday, which leaves next week as the 6th & Final week of "regular" picks. It is possible that there will be one or two no-shows or replacements of the original eighteen picks of course. As to "picking" names, well they kind of pick themselves, by the established pre-qualifying criteria. The twelve picks so far & a great mix, & there was a tremendous TP buzz in Newcastle at the SPT, aided by 4 of them being there, & a fifth getting the nod that night!
    Posted by Tikay10
    hi tikay

enjoyed the show saturday
    hopeing to get on again was alittle gutted not getting picked but just makes me more determined to try harder
    thanks to ed and rich for the kind words on the show

cheers sara36dd
  • edited January 2010
    Hi Guys -  haven't really looked into this since it was announced, or seen the show.

From what Dohhh has told me, its the top 50 cash winnings players of each level, per week?

Say in one week I won £500 on the 20/30/40nl levels but in the same week I lost £200 on the 50/100nl levels, would the profit from the lower levels be affected?

How do I know if I've been selected?  How long does it have left to run? 

Cheers my dears.
  • edited January 2010

Aup Scotty, the last seection period, started on Thursday and runs until Wednesday - Anything u win in that week at low stakes (NL30 and below), or your net profit, will hopefully get you into the top ten in that catagory, then hopefully they will give you the call on tuesday/wednesday next week....

When I was selected I was playing almost only NL50, with occasional games at NL20 and 30 for mastercash etc, so I think my winnings at NL50 were counted, they must have been. As long as u play 7 individual sessions at low stakes you should be alright - and you do that all at one time! -  not certain though.

GL, DOHH
  • edited January 2010

sorry, little off topic, what was the tournament format in newcastle, and when / where is the next one, it sounds like people enjoyed it and if i'd known about it would have tried to get there,
    reagrds,

• edited January 2010
    all the info is on www.skypoker.com/tour the next is in Luton and the qualifiers have started, check the lobby for details
  • edited January 2010
    sorry, little off topic, what was the tournament format in newcastle, and when / where is the next one, it sounds like people enjoyed it and if i'd known about it would have tried to get there, reagrds,
    Posted by YIPEEYAPEE

Yippeee, if you are going I will definitely try and qualify - would be good to meet you.

We could have a last longer.............that's one I know I can win.... ;o)

• edited January 2010
    allright i'#ll look into it, course you'd win lol, man how sick is 'weareontv' he literally defines hit n run, yesterday we played ike 6 hands and he got it in for a buy in at 2/4 qq v jj and insta quit, today he got it in maybe 3 hands in with QQ for a buy in v a str8 flush draw and stacked me again and insta quit, it'd be interesting to play a session with him where he doesn;t run like god, and insta quit,
    For luton whats the prize pool, and likely entrants, so sick there will be fireworks in a cash game if 1 gets going :)
  • edited January 2010
    Looking forward to seeing some of my upcoming challengers.  May I just wish all 10 selected tonight the best of luck.
  • edited January 2010
    Is now too late to get on the shortlist for David's last picks. Is it still possible to make the top 50 to be selected? If so, when is the deadline?

Thanks

• edited January 2010

Yes greg, loadsa time m8 - the week runs from thursday - 2 days ago, till this wednesday! Chuck a sicky n put some hours in!

DOHH

Oh P.S, with 5 minutes ago to the announcement, GOOD LUCK FLASH!
  • edited January 2010
    Great news... Charles is through, so thats two of my best poker mates through to TP.. Phil and Charles. Well done to James too and the other guy (sorry dont know him). Dave
  • edited January 2010
    Congratulations to Matt's picks this evening:-

Sparce
    FlashFlush
    LJamesL

The next stage of Total Player is going to be compulsive...
  • edited January 2010
    Very well done to all 3 picks who got through tonight, I have played all 3 on so many occasions, and all deserve there place here, superb players. Congrats and good luck :)!!
  • edited January 2010
    WELL DONE ALL THREE.. THIS GETS TOUGHER EVERY WEEK !! Good to see you make it FLASHFLUSH , love the check raises with nothing moves, just wish I had seen the show before you beat me on the final table in the deepie the other night !! Good luck m8 !
  • edited January 2010
    thx matt for considering me im having a job to push my chest back in the three you picked are the right ones good luck to those that were chosen gonna have a lie down now to calm down phew....sean
  • edited January 2010
    Well done Charlie m8. Looking forward to many more battles with u! Also congrats to James and Sparce. This comp is getting harder!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
  • edited January 2010
    I have no idea why BrownnDog was close to selection tonight, he didn't submit this hand.

/>Beginning a new hand.223718440
    />launder posted a small blind £1.
    />Vectisman posted a big blind £2.
    />stien joined this hand.
    />BrownnDog joined this hand.
    />URDADDY joined this hand.
    />BOMBDOG joined this hand.
    />stien raised for £6.
    />BrownnDog raised for £18.
    />URDADDY folded
    />BOMBDOG folded
    />launder folded
    />Vectisman folded
    />stien raised for £38.
    />BrownnDog called for £26.
    />Dealing the flop (4s,3d,Jd).
    />stien bet £54.
    />BrownnDog called for £54.
    />Dealing the turn (3c).
    />stien bet £199.
    />BrownnDog called for £199.
    />Dealing the river (Jh).
    />stien checked.
    />BrownnDog has gone all in for £217.93.
    />stien has gone all in for £152.70.
    />Unmatched chips returned to BrownnDog
    />stien showed Ah,Ac
    />BrownnDog showed 7d,Ad
    />stien has won the hand (£900.60) with Two Pairs, Aces and Jacks (Ah,Ac,4s,Jd,Jh)

His turn call is very fishy, on the river what's he folding that bet pot on the turn? He's only ahead of a lower flush draw that he beats by checking and can AK/AQ fold to his effective shove of £152?