You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

OFFICIAL TOTAL PLAYER THREAD

Comments

• edited February 2010
    The thread is reopened now everyone and thanks for your understanding.  I hope Sunday morning feels better than Saturday night.

Regards,

Des.
  • edited February 2010

Good morning!

Last night saw the conclusion of Boot-Camp Phase 2, & each of the Mentors were required to make the near impossible task of reducing their Teams from 3 to 2.

Below are the Surviving Six, by Mentor Team.

Team Gidzo.

GliterBabe

Dantb10.

Team Matt

Sharksbite

Sparce

Team Tuck

Nutter5932

Dohhhhhhh

Many congratulatrions from me personally to all 6 of them - none of them could have been confident of going through, but all of them had every reason & right to feel they would.

Well done them!
  • edited February 2010
    Hello guys have a few comments to make on some subjects that arose in the Total player thread. I am obviously gutted not to go through but it wasn't suprising. 
    Matt said my head dropped but I think it had a valid reason too. Knowing once I made a loss twice it is literally impossible for him to pick me. Firstly it wouldn't be fair on Naomi and Sparce who had done so brilliantly in the phases and also even if he selected me with two losses the weight on my shoulders would be ridiculous, along with some people may turn against me or Matt for selecting some one who lost twice. 
    Obviously in the 2nd phase it was only one pot that decided I made a loss for phase 2 and it was a big pot but most of the viewers wouldn't know that and jump to conclusions. I think Matt has got two fanastic players in Sparce and Naomi, David who I would say is a similar player to myself breaks down hands and thinks about the game on a different level to most of the other contestants. This is a big part of our edge in the game. Naomi who has a fantastic allround game and who is a brilliant MTT player. Both are more than deserving to of gone through. If I won a SNG and had made a decent profit in cash I would of been alot more gutted to of not of gone through. I would of perhaps felt robbed but this wasn't the case these 2 are both good players and will do Sky proud if either win. 
    On the case of dohhhhh I have to say he is the player that impressed me the most in the competition that I hadn't played before. I could understand why Tuckman chose him. He has some leaks, but he is a very brave player and I think he has a good chance in the competition.
    Best of luck to everyone left in Total player!
    lJAMESl
  • edited February 2010

Sadly, but inevitably, they had to lose three players last night.

They were.....

Team Gidzo

Yipeeyappee

Team Matt

lJAMESl

Team Tuck

Phil12UK

My heart goes out to all three of them.

Yipee was much misunderstood imo. He decided to "bet the shop" in an attempt to find an "angle", & in my view, for that, he was very brave. I would not have dared do it, nor would many others. The gamble failed, either because his oppo was better than he thought, or he ran bad, or maybe he is not as good as he thought he was. Whatever, it was a courageous decision, & he has my continued respect.  

James. Many have said he was the best player in TP, & he might have been. He just run bad at the wrong tiime, & gave his Mentor an unimaginably difficult decision. I shall have more to say on James shortly. He is a friend of mine, as are many of the TP-ers, & my respect for him has grown due to the way he has handled himself in TP. It's safe to say that the other TP-ers, in a strange way, will be relieved that James is out for all the best reaasons, because James is a stunningly talented player.

Phil. Oh my word, what to say. As "the moment" approached, I had pencilled his name in as an "looks very likely" to have got through. Ity knocked the wind out of me a bit when he was dropped, it really did. Not bcause it was a right or wrong decision, but because I know what this meant to Phil, who has been a Sky Poker friend of mine for 3 years now - he was probably my first friend in this Community, & he's a good man.

I wrote to Phil yesterday morning (I wrote to all 9 TP-ers actually) to wish him luck, & though it's not usually right to quote personal replies, here is part of his reply to me.....

"....Getting all my school work done today as either way Im not gonna be in the mood tomorrow - either too elated and buzzing or too deflated!...."

Today, therefore, he must be hurting real bad, "deflated" to use his words. I'm 100% confident that this Community, we together, will be respectful & understanding towards Phil, he must be devestated. But that's the nature of TP, & poker. Highs & lows. How we handle them both shows our real character.

Anyway, to all three who came to the end of their TP adventure last night, unlucky guys. Next time, eh? 
  • edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: OFFICIAL TOTAL PLAYER THREAD:
    Hello guys have a few comments to make on some subjects that arose in the Total player thread. I am obviously gutted not to go through but it wasn't suprising.  Matt said my head dropped but I think it had a valid reason too. Knowing once I made a loss twice it is literally impossible for him to pick me. Firstly it wouldn't be fair on Naomi and Sparce who had done so brilliantly in the phases and also even if he selected me with two losses the weight on my shoulders would be ridiculous, along with some people may turn against me or Matt for selecting some one who lost twice.  Obviously in the 2nd phase it was only one pot that decided I made a loss for phase 2 and it was a big pot but most of the viewers wouldn't know that and jump to conclusions. I think Matt has got two fanastic players in Sparce and Naomi, David who I would say is a similar player to myself breaks down hands and thinks about the game on a different level to most of the other contestants. This is a big part of our edge in the game. Naomi who has a fantastic allround game and who is a brilliant MTT player. Both are more than deserving to of gone through. If I won a SNG and had made a decent profit in cash I would of been alot more gutted to of not of gone through. I would of perhaps felt robbed but this wasn't the case these 2 are both good players and will do Sky proud if either win.  On the case of dohhhhh I have to say he is the player that impressed me the most in the competition that I hadn't played before. I could understand why Tuckman chose him. He has some leaks, but he is a very brave player and I think he has a good chance in the competition. Best of luck to everyone left in Total player! lJAMESl
    Posted by lJAMESl
    Good morning James.

Firstly, thank you for copying this Post across to the TP thread after it re-opened - you saved me a job. It's too good to be lost to the TP thread.

As to the Post, all I can say, is that under ther circumstances, it's one of the best Posts I've ever seen.

People point fingers at me sometimes, because I'm proud of my friends in poker, I choose them with great care, & I'm not ashamed to mention them. It will always be so, I have no reason not to.

James & I are good friends, have been for a long time, & will remain so. In the grand scheme of things, this setback is nothing.

Today, because of how he has handled himself in TP, particularly in that Post, I'm incredibly grateful to count him as a friend.

You have a very wise head on those young shoulders James. I'm very proud of you mate.
  • edited February 2010

Just a quick question when does the next round of TP start ?

Well done all that got through last night, personally thought 5/6 contestants were pretty much guaranteed to qualify, with it being a toss up between dohhhhhhh and phil for the last remaining spot, so very unlucky phil !!!

• edited February 2010
    This will probably be the hardest post for me to write on this forum........if it comes across as negative, I apologise in advance but I'm hurting today.

Going into this phase of the competition, I knew it was going to be tough....8 great opponents and 2 super tough ones within my team.  After starting the phase behind on bankrolls vs Nutter and Dohhhhh, I knew I needed to make a statement (although Tuck said that the br meant nothing to him).

As Tikay mentioned last night on the show, I made profit in 5/6 TP nights and was ahead in all 3 disciplines - something I thought would help show that I am a good, well rounded player.  I also managed to win my first TP sng and, for a river card, could have won the second too.  Sparce has stated that he found me very tricky to play against and that he's 'glad' im out as I was a threat to him.........I take these comments as massive compliments and know that my game has improved greatly for someone of his skill seeing me as a threat.

Within the first phase I made £80. In the second phase I made £240 (3x as much), with second phase percentages of 50% cash success in mtts and 100% cash success in sngs. On top of that, I don't think I made any mistakes within the 2 TP sngs and put forward a really good showing.

I know both Ben and Dohhhhh are great players and I am not bitter towards either of them in the slightest - I hope one of them goes on to win.  Unfortunately I feel let down at the moment as I cannot see where my VERY HARD WORK was looked at.  David chatted to me for my first 50 minutes on the first night - that was it, no further help, no e mail replies to support, nothing.  I realise that this was also the case for Ben and JJ but made me very frustrated.  How was I to know what I was doing right or wrong? 

IMO - and this is only my opinion - my group's final choice has already been made and no matter what I did, it wasn't going to make any difference.  A 35th in Primo as well should have shown my mtt credentials.......or so I thought.

The reasons given last night also got me. Suddenly Ben's br was a factor and my potential (something quoted as massive in the last phase) was now replaced with a judgement of me being 'good'.  I do feel crushed and I am hurting. I feel I put soooooo much into this competition and process and the 3 days last week were irrelevant as the judgement had already been made and i may as well have spent the evenings supporting my wife with her work rather than her run around for me whilst I'm playing games that my mentor showed me no interest in wanting to know about.

So, onwards and upwards for me.  Total Player has shown me that I have the skills to play against the best players on this site. Thank you to Charlie, Naomi, Dave, Mick, Dylan, Tony and all the others who have given me such support with their kind words over the last 12 hours.  See you all in Luton.  Good luck all still in - may the best man (or lady) win.
  • edited February 2010
    I'm glad the spirit of TP hasn't been damaged by the rubbish posted last night - everyone's entitled to their opinion but taking cheap shots at those involved in the competition seemed nothing but sour grapes and completely against what TP and Sky Poker's about! Just want to congratulate those who got through and commiserations to those who missed out...

James - everyone knows you're a quality player and class act so will continue to go from strength to strength but unfortunately this time, the poker gods decided it wasn't for you!
    Yipee - you stirred things up on the forum and site recently with your challenge and for that I commend you...I'm sure you'll learn from this experience and continue to rise through the ranks!
    Phil - you've done yourself, your school kids and the forum proud...you've shown you're an excellent player so there will be plenty more opportunities to come in the future! Hopefully Spurs can win today to make you feel somewhat better!
  • edited February 2010
    I just want to say how much Ive enjoyed David Tuckman on this show .

He's been absolutely fantastic (as he is on the pstars commentary (I prefer the english guy though)).

Judgement second to none.

May the losers "Go in the muck" long live the Tuck.

• edited February 2010
    First of all, thanks so much to Matt for seeing the potential in me to see me through to the next round and congrats to the others that also made it. The support and well wishes have been phenomenal. I wish Sparticus and the other 4 the best of luck nex week another tough night on saturday to come.
    Secondly my thoughts go out to James, Phil, and Yip. James and Phil what class you have shown in your post, I am gutted for you guys and theres nothing really I can say that hasnt already been said except, heres to 2 fantastic players who I know will go far in their future poker careers.
  • edited February 2010
    I don't know why everyone is getting bent out of shape, the two players who SHOULD win are obvious, Sparce or Nutter, all the other players are simply window dressing to fill out the weeks. If it's for the WSOP Nutter is the obvious winner, if it was for a cash game at the Bellagio it's clearly Sparce.

Phil went out because he could never win, he was going sooner or later so why not now. Dohhh, i don't get it myself, but he's going soon anyway, so why get upset.

The only true wildcard for me is shark but the skill difference is too wide for her to bridge. Having said that the river cards on here are remarkable, so the chances are someone with only a 4% chance of winning will probably emerge victorious, so Glitterbabe still has a chance.

I too give my post a 4% chance of staying up.

• edited February 2010
    I don't know why everyone is getting bent out of shape, the two players who SHOULD win are obvious, Sparce or Nutter, all the other players are simply window dressing to fill out the weeks. If it's for the WSOP Nutter is the obvious winner, if it was for a cash game at the Bellagio it's clearly Sparce. Phil went out because he could never win, he was going sooner or later so why not now. Dohhh, i don't get it myself, but he's going soon anyway, so why get upset. The only true wildcard for me is shark but the skill difference is too wide for her to bridge. Having said that the river cards on here are remarkable, so the chances are someone with only a 4% chance of winning will probably emerge victorious, so Glitterbabe still has a chance. I too give my post a 4% chance of staying up.
    Posted by stien
    I'll take those odds. Your post will not be taken down.
  • edited February 2010
    I don't know why everyone is getting bent out of shape, the two players who SHOULD win are obvious, Sparce or Nutter, all the other players are simply window dressing to fill out the weeks. If it's for the WSOP Nutter is the obvious winner, if it was for a cash game at the Bellagio it's clearly Sparce. Phil went out because he could never win, he was going sooner or later so why not now. Dohhh, i don't get it myself, but he's going soon anyway, so why get upset. The only true wildcard for me is shark but the skill difference is too wide for her to bridge. Having said that the river cards on here are remarkable, so the chances are someone with only a 4% chance of winning will probably emerge victorious, so Glitterbabe still has a chance. I too give my post a 4% chance of staying up.
    Posted by stien

Who made you the fount of all poker wisdom? How on earth would you know what a total player is capable of, their strengths and weaknesses or their different skill sets? What gives you the right to even comment? Everybody who has made it this far in this competition had done so on their own merit and they don't need some random jealous forum troll to come and tell them otherwise!

"The only true wildcard for me is shark but the skill difference is too wide for her to bridge."
    This made me laugh. What makes you think that you are qualified to make this statement? I can tell you from my own experience of playing with shark, of which I'm sure you have very little, that she is a highly competent poker player and there is certainly no 'gap' that she needs to bridge

Nice to see that you have used your huge forum contribution of 14, to come and criticize others! Well I will give you some advice: it is usually those that are unduly critical of others that often need to look at themselves and give themselves a critical appraisal. 

I hope the post number 15 is a much nicer one. Perhaps if you show some more class in future you might make a few more friends around here.

• edited February 2010

Really enjoyed the show last night. (Watching it with the sound off obv helped :)  ).

The sit n go's were a great idea, and made for good viewing.
    However, they shouldn't be overplayed as to working out who is the best player.
    Even the best single table players go on runs of multiple games without cashing - 2 games mean next to nothing.

I feel very much for Phil.
    His game seems a good, solid, one, and it is obvious he has worked very hard for this competition.
    He has also delivered some very consistent results, and has every right to feel gutted at not being in the next phase. (Given he is a teacher, at least he will have lots of time to mull it over in the days coming :o) ).

The difficulty is this, if you don't make the decision results orientated (and I am not saying it should be), then you are comparing apples and pears, and the final decisions will always leave the potential for debate and disagreement.

I sincerely hope that the contest, and the 'election' of a winner at the end of it, is not overshadowed by  controversy. It simply demeans the effort that these players are putting in to delivering us an excellent contest.

My best wishes to the lucky 6 remaining in TP.

• edited February 2010

This looks to me like a personal vendetta Browndog. I posted MY opinion. I didn't slate shark I simply gave MY opinion that I believe Sparce is a better player and there is in My opinion a skill gap. As for making friends on here, I don't need any more friends thanks, that was never my intention.

'What gives you the right to even comment?' It's a forum for discussion is it not?

Come on Browndog, who made you the voice of TP? I don't post often because I rarely feel the need to and your personal attack makes me feel vindicated in this. As for your advice, thanks but I'll stick to listening to those that I pay to listen to. And before you demand it, yawn, no I don't want to play you HU. 

I guess you are still fizzing over the hand i posted a couple of weeks back, there were a few on here that found it hilarious. As I've said before I do not think i'm a great player, i'm simply another player trying to improve, so please stop with the "jealous forum troll" it makes you sound like Gordon Brown.

• edited February 2010
    Last week and last night was especially difficult and I feel for everyone who was eliminated. Unfortunately, cuts had to be made and I had the unenviable task of doing just that.

The first week, we had a bit more time to 'mentor' the players and I must say I quite enjoyed that aspect of this competition. Last week was a bit different as each of the remaining 9 players only got about an hour of time with their respective mentors. I would have loved to give each of my players a few more hours, but knowing I wouldn't be able to, I had to make the difficult decision to be more of a judge last week. All of my players know what parts of their games I wanted them to work on and they were all doing just that with flying colors. I didn't think it would be fair to 'help' one player knowing we didn't have the time to help all of them.

As for Phil, I can understand why you must be frustrated and disappointed. I meant what I said last night that I think my three are better than anyone else in this competition. That being said, one of you had to go. It wasn't an easy choice.

I think you are a great player Phil and I hope you go on to win tourney after tourney, ending up with a WSOP bracelet around your wrist. Go ahead and do your best to make me feel like I made the wrong decision.

I had a wonderful time working with you and I hope we can continue in the future.

All the best to everyone involved in TP - while this has been a lot of fun and very rewarding, it's also proving to be very difficult.
  • edited February 2010
    Posted by stien

I respect your opinion, but I have to disagree. Being relatively new to Sky Poker, I had no preconceived notions about any of the players. In fact, one of my players told me that James is the best player on Sky and he's no longer in the competition. As for my players, I chatted with them, looked over many, many hands they played. I did my best to mentor when I could and at the end of the day I had to make a judgement call on who I think would be the best candidate to be the Total Player. I'm not really very familar with any of the players on this site yet, but I'll tell you...I flip-flopped on Dohhh and Phil for the past week and didn't actually make up my mind until I looked over a series of hands yesterday afternoon. As for who will be my 'One' - both players are qualified and no decision is even remotely close to being made yet. I've got some time with them this week and I'm looking forward to every minute.

As for Phil, once again, I can only imagine how frustrated you are, but I do consider you a friend and if you'd like to, I'd love to continue helping you hone your game. No decision was made until yesterday and really there was nothing you did wrong. You were just up against very tough competition. To be honest, I'd be proud to have any of the three of you representing me and Sky Poker.
  • edited February 2010
    Last week and last night was especially difficult and I feel for everyone who was eliminated. Unfortunately, cuts had to be made and I had the unenviable task of doing just that. The first week, we had a bit more time to 'mentor' the players and I must say I quite enjoyed that aspect of this competition. Last week was a bit different as each of the remaining 9 players only got about an hour of time with their respective mentors. I would have loved to give each of my players a few more hours, but knowing I wouldn't be able to, I had to make the difficult decision to be more of a judge last week. All of my players know what parts of their games I wanted them to work on and they were all doing just that with flying colors. I didn't think it would be fair to 'help' one player knowing we didn't have the time to help all of them. As for Phil, I can understand why you must be frustrated and disappointed. I meant what I said last night that I think my three are better than anyone else in this competition. That being said, one of you had to go. It wasn't an easy choice. I think you are a great player Phil and I hope you go on to win tourney after tourney, ending up with a WSOP bracelet around your wrist. Go ahead and do your best to make me feel like I made the wrong decision. I had a wonderful time working with you and I hope we can continue in the future. All the best to everyone involved in TP - while this has been a lot of fun and very rewarding, it's also proving to be very difficult.
    uPosted by DAVID_T
    you say u wud not be able to give ur time so why did u say yes to be a mentor? and like you say you became a judge do yourself think it is fare to do that to ppl why did u not do wat mb did and get some1 else to help u out . its soooo wrong wat uve said and done . del
  • edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: OFFICIAL TOTAL PLAYER THREAD : you say u wud not be able to give ur time so why did u say yes to be a mentor? and like you say you became a judge do yourself think it is fare to do that to ppl why did u not do wat mb did and get some1 else to help u out . its soooo wrong wat uve said and done . del
    Posted by DELTA
    You are reading things into the post that were not stated.
    David said that EACH of the players only got an allotted amount of time.
    Why do you think that David's availabilty impacted on the allotted time for the 6 players supervised by the other mentors???
    Also, Tikay stood in to supervise Matt's players on one evening due to Matt's unfortunate circumstances - I don't believe that he mentored them.
    David had a very difficult decision and I, for one, do not envy him his role.
    He would have access to all the hands that were played by his candidates plus his correspondence with them on which to base his decision.
    It is a bit "off" for you to be criticising his actions on this thread, imo.
  • edited February 2010

Im gonna come to the defence of David now, not because I'm through, or I want to get in his good books, just because it's the way I see it.

(and I said this live on the show last night too when I thought I was on my way out, so it's not boot licking)

The time David and I spent talking throughout the 2 stages of bootcamp, was invaluable. This time round, each mentor was online for only 1 night, which restricted them to around about an hour focussing solely on 1 player. (Im not sure how the other mentors allocated time, but David chose to watch us individually for a prolonged period)

The quality and intensity of these sessions was huge. Every single hand I played, was given to David, even 72 off utg. Playing 2 tables at once, this got abit messy, especially when I as involved in 2 pots at once, but every hand was noted, and discussed, and the ones which overlapped, were looked at afterwards. As well as this, hands played on my own account were discussed, as well as hypothetical scenarios, and general poker strategy. 

I feel in the time we had to discuss poker, we squeezed in as much theory and hand analysis as possible, the buzzer on m s n  was constantly going! In fact I was timed out on 7/8 occasions as I was so into the conversation, and quite often, strong debate! 

I agree with Phil, more time would have been great, but the quality of the advice was what was important to me, I think the balance between learning new things and putting these new moves into practise was spot on - and all 3 groups had their mentor online for the same amount of time.

DOHH
  • edited February 2010
  • edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: OFFICIAL TOTAL PLAYER THREAD : you say u wud not be able to give ur time so why did u say yes to be a mentor? and like you say you became a judge do yourself think it is fare to do that to ppl why did u not do wat mb did and get some1 else to help u out . its soooo wrong wat uve said and done . del
    Posted by DELTA
    I made it wholly clear on this Thread, numerous times, before & after, that on the night I "stood in" for Matt, I would not & did not Mentor any of his players, because that would be wholly improper. All his players, as of then & now, will confirm this, 100%.

I said I would - & I did - simply rail them, & act as a messenger boy, a "sponge man," in Matt's absence, a conduit for info really. In fact, Matt "took over" from me towards the end of that evening, & I continued to Rail the TP-ers that night, as I have Railed most of them, on most nights, throughout.
  • edited February 2010
    Who is Delta?
    Posted by Cowgomoo
    Some bitter troll
  • edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: OFFICIAL TOTAL PLAYER THREAD : Some bitter troll
    Posted by cottlad
    Suspected as much.
  • edited February 2010
    Hey guys,

Recovered from the night before and caught up on the threads. 

Delighted to get through and once again the desire to win increases further. Unlucky to Phil, yip and James but keep faith in your own ability and you will come out the stronger :). Luton is going to be INTENSE and i look forward to played alot of poker over their ! 
  • edited February 2010
    cow is 1 of the best players and they should boycot the TP and give it to him :P
  • edited February 2010
    Congratulations to the 6 that got through.

I have personal disappointment that my friend Phil and new mate James didn't get through. As in any singular competition the winner isn't necessarily the 'best', many times professional sportsmen have come from losing in semi-finals and then gone on to become stronger and better competitors. I know that James will take this in his stride and Phil will have now improved his game even further - taking him to the level where a WSOP shot is easily attainable.

There will always be analysis over the fairness of judgements when there are subjective elements involved in the decision making process. The forum is a great place to air these opinions and it is interesting to read. 

I don't claim to be a good poker player, I don't play at massive buy in levels, but I do enjoy our hobby/interest.. and this concept is good entertainment and it has certainly been a success in my eyes.

Like any new format (think pop idol/Xfactor) there will be changes over teh coming seasons, tinkering to perfect the formula, but for the first season this has gone well.

Good luck to the final 6.

David
  • edited February 2010
    Would like to say Well done to the guys and gal that went through and very unlucky to the guys that didnt get through.  Reading through all the posts, I just would like to say as a keen beginner (ish) this programme has been a great insight to me, I enjoy it every week and think it has helped my own game.  I find it really sad that dohhh has been on the receiving end of criticism when really he should be celebrating getting through.  I hope he rises above it.

I really would like to see Sharksbite win this however!
  • edited February 2010
    Who is Delta?
    Posted by Cowgomoo
    i cud ur worst nightmare m8 . but just another player stating a point ove view or is that now not allowed.