You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can a chicken go pro?

Comments

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can a chicken turn pro?:
    In Response to Re: Can a chicken turn pro? : yeah I'm interested - nl10 sounds good too... was kind of hoping thats what would be suggested, just want to do it for a bit of fun really and possibly give my points a wee boost. I was thinking of a weekend before the tournament rush - so before 7pm. --edit--- also dont mind, if you wanted to a challenge style matchup, if we have a cap on losses!  ..something to ponder
    Posted by chicknMelt
    Interesting.

What are your terms?

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can a chicken turn pro? : Interesting. What are your terms?
    Posted by gazza127
    lol.

pretty open to suggestions, but atm I'm thinking 2 tables for ~1k hands. apparently you get 200-300 hands an hour at HU... so that would be 2hrs (easier to track time than hands on sky). As for a cap on losses - 10BI? happy to go less too.

so the match would last for 2 hours, or until someone lost 10BI (or whatever cap you fancy)...like I say, open to other suggestions.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can a chicken turn pro? : lol. pretty open to suggestions, but atm I'm thinking 2 tables for ~1k hands. apparently you get 200-300 hands an hour at HU... so that would be 2hrs (easier to track time than hands on sky). As for a cap on losses - 10BI? happy to go less too. so the match would last for 2 hours, or until someone lost 10BI (or whatever cap you fancy)...like I say, open to other suggestions.
    Posted by chicknMelt

Hmmmmm.  I'll have a ponder over it and get back to you.  As I say its probably a terrible idea. Lol.  Maybe I should let someone else play you first before assessing if im just setting fire to money by playing you.  Lol
  • edited November 2013
    fine by me, ponder away :)

we could do half of that if you prefer to start with - 1 hr, 2 tables, 5BI.

believe me, I'm equally worried about getting smashed, so quite happy to lower the risk :)

--edit--think I slightly prefer the first option, cos I'm sure there would be swings of a few BI here and there. either is good tho.
  • edited November 2013
    Rake at NL10 is 7.5%, which is a killer HU. Although in a perverse way, you may prefer this, as you are doing this to gain more points.

Been reading the diary from the start btw, gl both.
  • edited November 2013
    Rake at NL10 is 7.5%, which is a killer HU. Although in a perverse way, you may prefer this, as you are doing this to gain more points. Been reading the diary from the start btw, gl both.
    Posted by splashies

What about Nl20?

Nice to see that at least some read this :)

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can a chicken turn pro? : What about Nl20? Nice to see that at least some read this :)
    Posted by chicknMelt
    :D

NL20 is 5% rake. If you're looking for an opponent, I know RyanC7 was looking to play some1 hu over a few tables, so maybe PM him.

• edited November 2013
    I like Gazza127.

I also like Chicknmelt.

But who would win in a HUNL session?

There's only one way to find out........

Lol at that guy peeling with J3. Man, there are some awful players on Sky. It's when they are awful and lucky though, that makes me want to chew my face off.

Gl Mr Melt, please stay away from my MTT tables, ta.
  • edited November 2013
    I like Gazza127. I also like Chicknmelt. But who would win in a HUNL session? There's only one way to find out........ Lol at that guy peeling with J3. Man, there are some awful players on Sky. It's when they are awful and lucky though, that makes me want to chew my face off. Gl Mr Melt, please stay away from my MTT tables, ta.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    I'm print screening this, printing it off, laminating and framing it.

You cant take this back!
  • edited November 2013
    I like Gazza127. I also like Chicknmelt. But who would win in a HUNL session? There's only one way to find out........ Lol at that guy peeling with J3. Man, there are some awful players on Sky. It's when they are awful and lucky though, that makes me want to chew my face off. Gl Mr Melt, please stay away from my MTT tables, ta.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    ...and hhyftrftdr to play the winner??
  • edited November 2013
    Harry's busy with some important site maintenance.  Too many redraws are happening on the plo8 tables, and he needs to tinker witg the rgn whilst liasing with affected players.

All bad beat stories are to be passed over to hhyftrftdr until further notice.
  • edited November 2013
    Great read
    Just a few thoughts around the thread title.

For going pro
    You're clearly a great player with results to back it up.
    If you do do it and are succesfull, then it could be a fabulous life.

Against going pro
    You're heaping a lot of pressure on yourself at a time when it might not be ideal with the baby on the way, congrats by the way.
    Many other very good players have tried going pro and for different reasons it hasn't worked out. Out of all the people who do it I would estimate that it works out as very tiny percentage who really succeed.

Questions I think you need to ask yourself
    You're in a good job now. Consider with natural progression in your job how much you may be earning in 10 years time? How likely us it that you would make that as a annual salary playing poker.
    Pensions?
    Mortgage has been talked about
    Insurances increase if you're a professional gambler
    If you were to continue as you are, good salary and good poker income,would that not be a more relaxed, enjoyable life?
    I assume you enjoy poker right now. How much would you enjoy it if it was your only source of income?

Just a few random thoughts, good luck whichever way you decide to go.

• edited November 2013
    What is ur name on stars mate ? Im grinding alot of them sit and gos over there at the minute and I dont fancy sharing a table !!
  • edited November 2013
    Great read Just a few thoughts around the thread title. For going pro You're clearly a great player with results to back it up. If you do do it and are succesfull, then it could be a fabulous life. Against going pro You're heaping a lot of pressure on yourself at a time when it might not be ideal with the baby on the way, congrats by the way. Many other very good players have tried going pro and for different reasons it hasn't worked out. Out of all the people who do it I would estimate that it works out as very tiny percentage who really succeed. Questions I think you need to ask yourself You're in a good job now. Consider with natural progression in your job how much you may be earning in 10 years time? How likely us it that you would make that as a annual salary playing poker. Pensions? Mortgage has been talked about Insurances increase if you're a professional gambler If you were to continue as you are, good salary and good poker income,would that not be a more relaxed, enjoyable life? I assume you enjoy poker right now. How much would you enjoy it if it was your only source of income? Just a few random thoughts, good luck whichever way you decide to go.
    Posted by Jac35

To be fair to chickenmelt, he has considered the financial side of things. But what you say about insurance is 100% spot on. Most insurers will consider you a NEET (not in employment, education or training) which instantly puts the premium up quite often by in excess of 25%. As for pensions, I would be very surprised if many pros have even considered their retirement let alone taking out/contributing to a pension plan. 

• edited November 2013

Saturday

Gonna try to stick to 4 tables today… that way, it probably wont go over 6…think my concentration has been a little off recently. Saw a video today where Phil Ivey said his biggest weakness was that he acts too quickly sometimes, If he had thought a little longer, he would have made a better decision – sometimes the best decisions aren’t what you first think they are.

3-4pm – bust out of the first £11 bh with no cashes, and but out of 2 timed tourneys

4-5pm – made a final table of a $22 bh…no bounties tho, it was a clinging on job. 6/6 atm! 4/42 in the £600gtd £11 bh, 2 bounties, one of the stayorgo’s son, limptolose. We have plenty of history and he ended up calling my shove with 2nd pair vs my TP… he has called in that spot in the past far lighter and been right

5:15 –out the £22 bh in 4th. No bounties, so just a £48 cash. Shoved my last 7bb with AJs, called by K8…and an 8 hit the river

5:29 – frustrating hand! And comments on the line taken? – couple of hands later I shoved my last 9bb with KJs, called by AJ.

Player

Action

Cards

Amount

Pot

Balance

MOLLOU

Small blind

j_noone

Big blind

Your hole cards

·       A

Wasyl

Fold

Berg198

Fold

alanna701

Call

chicknMelt

Raise

MOLLOU

Fold

j_noone

Call

alanna701

Call

Flop

j_noone

Bet

alanna701

Fold

chicknMelt

Raise

j_noone

Call

Turn

j_noone

Check

chicknMelt

Bet

j_noone

Call

River

j_noone

Check

chicknMelt

Check

j_noone

Show

chicknMelt

Muck

·       A

j_noone

Win

Straight to the 10

7PM – bit annoyed with myself – spewed chips massively in a £22bh-  was running the table, then lost a couple of hands and just went on tilt and spewed chips in that and a sat. …need to keep that under control! Did just cash for £35 in a £5.50 15 min timed tho lol.

8pm - Feel like playing really well , apart from a few spews.. time for main!

8:55 – crushed my table in the main J -for a long time I was the only one above starting stack!- lost a couple of flips and still up to 5k (1 bounty), last 3 in a £22 bh, qualified for a seat in the £55 bh, cashed for £8 in a £5 timed and decent stacks in some others. Going well atm.

UKPC – ran KK into AA pre… I felt like I wanted to fold…can you ever fold KK pre??

9:34 - A6<A2 for the win in the £22bh – finished 2nd. Got a huuge stack on my table in the main, who is raising and 3betting every hand. Down to 3.8k – gonna have to tighten up! Up to 12k in the bigJ

9:50 - up to 17k in big, and 8.5k in main – just doubled off mr agro!

10:30 – down to 4.5k in the main again – 10bb.

10:35 – out in 56th or something. Had 2 agros to my left, had to play too tight and ended up shortstacked and lost a race.

11pm – had a tough hour in the big too, was down to 11k, but last hand before the break I got another bounty - up to 20k.

11:15 – ran AK into KK in the blinds...i raised from sb and the bb overshoved...down to 12k in the big– 13/27

11:30 – out the big – shoved my last 12bb from the sb with AT, and got called by 78o. brilliant.

11:45 - Cashed in the £22 timed for £86

roughly break even tonight. The standard of my play was quite mixed, in general I feel like I played some of the best poker I have played this month, but I still made a few stupid mistakes. The most costly was in the big bh, where I bluffed all 3 streets with 9 high… it wasn’t pretty! It happened after I called the AI with AK vs KK and I think that tilted me a bit.

About to start the Sunday grind!
  • edited November 2013
    Great read Just a few thoughts around the thread title. For going pro You're clearly a great player with results to back it up. If you do do it and are succesfull, then it could be a fabulous life. Against going pro You're heaping a lot of pressure on yourself at a time when it might not be ideal with the baby on the way, congrats by the way. Many other very good players have tried going pro and for different reasons it hasn't worked out. Out of all the people who do it I would estimate that it works out as very tiny percentage who really succeed. Questions I think you need to ask yourself You're in a good job now. Consider with natural progression in your job how much you may be earning in 10 years time? How likely us it that you would make that as a annual salary playing poker. Pensions? Mortgage has been talked about Insurances increase if you're a professional gambler If you were to continue as you are, good salary and good poker income,would that not be a more relaxed, enjoyable life? I assume you enjoy poker right now. How much would you enjoy it if it was your only source of income? Just a few random thoughts, good luck whichever way you decide to go.
    Posted by Jac35
    Thanks for the advice Jac - most of it was already swimming aroud my head, but not all... cheers! gonna need the results to pick up anyway before I take the plunge!
  • edited November 2013
    Update from Sunday's play:

I played soo bad Sunday! before about 11pm I can't think of a single tournament I cashed in, or played well in. Some examples of what I mean were 4betting all in with just a gutshot in the UKPC semi satelite (lol...is a satelite, which makes it even worse - you don't need to win, just survive), and calling off all my chips in the primo with top pair no kicker, which hhyftdftr witnessed. It really was a disaster zone - couldnt seem to go 5 minutes without making simple mistakes, I was getting tilted by the smallest of things, and I was running badly... which didnt help the tilt problems in the slightest! I was contemplating taking a couple of days off to get my head right if things didnt turn around.

it all changed I guess around 11pm and I finally found some form - I had 700 chips in the £22 1k bh, and 1300 in the big BH and went on a heater!

by the time there were 30 players left in the £22bh I was a huge chips leader (with about 18k chips to 2nds 12k) and I never really looked back taking it down for £400  and knocking out about 25% of the field lol. Obviously I ran well, but crucially I wasn't making stupid mistakes every couple of minutes. This meant that against all odds, I had broken even for the night! crazy! ...and one more thing...you can't be in a downswing if you've just taken down a tournament...that would be wierd.

I managed to run up a decent stack in the big BH too, but met my end late on (but not quite on the bubble) after shoving 66 into AK and QT - QT hit a fullhouse to knock us both out. he shouldn't really have been in the hand after AK overshoved, but hey ho.

to finish the evening off, I came 3rd in the 12:30 £250 gtd for an extra £46 to book a small profit for the day. the 1st in what seems such a long time! lets see if I can follow it up with another win tmorrow and start to get out of this hole I've gotten myself into this month!

• edited November 2013
    Update from Sunday's play: I played soo bad Sunday! before about 11pm I can't think of a single tournament I cashed in, or played well in. Some examples of what I mean were 4betting all in with just a gutshot in the UKPC semi satelite (lol...is a satelite, which makes it even worse - you don't need to win, just survive), and calling off all my chips in the primo with top pair no kicker, which hhyftdftr witnessed. It really was a disaster zone - couldnt seem to go 5 minutes without making simple mistakes, I was getting tilted by the smallest of things, and I was running badly... which didnt help the tilt problems in the slightest! I was contemplating taking a couple of days off to get my head right if things didnt turn around. it all changed I guess around 11pm and I finally found some form - I had 700 chips in the £22 1k bh, and 1300 in the big BH and went on a heater! by the time there were 30 players left in the £22bh I was a huge chips leader (with about 18k chips to 2nds 12k) and I never really looked back taking it down for £400  and knocking out about 25% of the field lol. Obviously I ran well, but crucially I wasn't making stupid mistakes every couple of minutes. This meant that against all odds, I had broken even for the night! crazy! ...and one more thing...you can't be in a downswing if you've just taken down a tournament...that would be wierd. I managed to run up a decent stack in the big BH too, but met my end late on (but not quite on the bubble) after shoving 66 into AK and QT - QT hit a fullhouse to knock us both out. he shouldn't really have been in the hand after AK overshoved, but hey ho. to finish the evening off, I came 3rd in the 12:30 £250 gtd for an extra £46 to book a small profit for the day. the 1st in what seems such a long time! lets see if I can follow it up with another win tmorrow and start to get out of this hole I've gotten myself into this month!
    Posted by chicknMelt
    Haha no comment ;)

That guy was playing so face up, but I've done similar before so I can sympathise. I thought it was a ridiculously soft table, apart from yourself who had position on me too :( Disappointed I got moved not long after your exit.

Run well sir!
  • edited November 2013
    Think i,ve already asked this but never got an answer ( i know theres been loads of q,s on here)

You mentioned early on that you would playing all the timed tournaments. Are you still playing them and what advice would you give for playing the 15 minute ones?

Thx

Paul

Ps - I can understand if you don,t want to give away your strategy for playing these quick games on a public forum. You can just PM me if you want :)

Sounds a bit cheeky but if you don,t ask you don,t get
  • edited November 2013
    didnt play last night, night before was a break even thanks to binking a UKPC final seat. felt like I played some good poker, but didnt seem to flip well, or hold when dominating which cost me quite a few times. At least I seem to have stopped the rot :)

I spent alot of last night contemplating why I havent been getting the results I've been wanting this month, and while I may not have forgotten how to play in the last week, I dont think I have been adjusting to my tables well enough, as well as not getting that crucial bit of luck when it matters.

so, my main focus for tonight will be labelling players, formulating a plan for the table and sticking to it! Too often I have been playing on auto pilot and throwing chips away.

MP33 - about the timed tourney strategy - I think the 15 min ones and 30 min ones play quite differently. I seem to get better results at the 15 min ones. I wont give away everything... but probably the most important thing is to work out shove/calling ranges of your opponents - some will be looking to gamble, others play tight. in the 15 min ones almost every move should either be a shove or a fold, in the 30 min ones, you can have a bit of play at the start. for example, if I'm in the sb with AJ in the very first hand of a 15 min ones (20bb) I'm just going to open shove, because most people call way too light. would expect to get called by most Aces, KQ, KJ, KT, PPs, and even some other random cards. 

If you have any specific questions, then PM me

• edited November 2013
    Just looked at the hand histories earlier in the thread... betsizing on that KQs hand could do with some improvement - you ended up leaving yourself with a really awkward river sizing as played! I think you can either make it a 2 street hand with a big flop bet (3/4, 4/5) and ship OTT or go 1/3 flop 1/3 turn shove river. 
  • edited November 2013
    Just looked at the hand histories earlier in the thread... betsizing on that KQs hand could do with some improvement - you ended up leaving yourself with a really awkward river sizing as played! I think you can either make it a 2 street hand with a big flop bet (3/4, 4/5) and ship OTT or go 1/3 flop 1/3 turn shove river. 
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    Yeah, that hand highlighted that I do really need to take more care with my bet sizing  -which I think I have been to a large extent the last few days. The point I'm interested in is whether you think its a shove on the river assuming the 1/3, 1/3 pot line?
  • edited November 2013
    didnt play last night, night before was a break even thanks to binking a UKPC final seat. felt like I played some good poker, but didnt seem to flip well, or hold when dominating which cost me quite a few times. At least I seem to have stopped the rot :) I spent alot of last night contemplating why I havent been getting the results I've been wanting this month, and while I may not have forgotten how to play in the last week, I dont think I have been adjusting to my tables well enough, as well as not getting that crucial bit of luck when it matters. so, my main focus for tonight will be labelling players, formulating a plan for the table and sticking to it! Too often I have been playing on auto pilot and throwing chips away. MP33 - about the timed tourney strategy - I think the 15 min ones and 30 min ones play quite differently. I seem to get better results at the 15 min ones. I wont give away everything... but probably the most important thing is to work out shove/calling ranges of your opponents - some will be looking to gamble, others play tight. in the 15 min ones almost every move should either be a shove or a fold, in the 30 min ones, you can have a bit of play at the start. for example, if I'm in the sb with AJ in the very first hand of a 15 min ones (20bb) I'm just going to open shove, because most people call way too light. would expect to get called by most Aces, KQ, KJ, KT, PPs, and even some other random cards.  If you have any specific questions, then PM me
    Posted by chicknMelt

Hi Chickn

Ive played a lot of timed like over 1000 15 mins over the last 6 months with some success but hit a brick wall lately, if you wanna PM me about strat would be happy to share. 

Had a situation with a player who opened with ak for 5bb out of a 10bb stack earlier today with ak, it was soo lol and made me realise why these games are beatable. 

Cheers

• edited November 2013
    cheers ace.

Yeah, the play can be pretty quesionable at times for sure! 
  • edited November 2013
    One thing has been bothering me over the last few days - I can't seem to get to grips with the £55 speed BH - I have played enough of them - almost every day since I started, but I'm pretty sure I have a big negative ROI in them. Just this month for example, I have probably played around 15, only cashing for a few bounties... so thats probably around £500-600 down just from this one tourney this month. I seem to do well enough in the £11 turbo at 10pm though..which I find strange.

The ones that I have done well in ( I have won it a few times I think) it feels like I was the right side of a cooler/flip pretty early on... Has anyone got any advice for how I should be adapting my game to these? My feeling is that the players are generally a bit more agro
  • edited November 2013

All the BHs with small fields.....

Check out what % of the prizepool is allocated to players who finish outside of the 'real money'.

This, I'd imagine, makes it very tough to show a profit. Even if you do, it'll be quite small.

HATE small field BHs! they're awful.

Lambert won 1 yesterday morning was £5.75, around 65/70 entrants, and he got £80 total including heads.

Theres a £5.50 traditional freezeout that runs in the afternoon, it got 27 runners and the winner got £67.50.

• edited November 2013
    All the BHs with small fields..... Check out what % of the prizepool is allocated to players who finish outside of the 'real money'. This, I'd imagine, makes it very tough to show a profit. Even if you do, it'll be quite small. HATE small field BHs! they're awful. Lambert won 1 yesterday morning was £5.75, around 65/70 entrants, and he got £80 total including heads. Theres a £5.50 traditional freezeout that runs in the afternoon, it got 27 runners and the winner got £67.50.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I do get what your saying, but on the other hand, the times you bust before the money you quiter often get a bouty or, and sometimes even make a profit. both styles have their advantages and disadvantages... but it should be possible to make a profit in either ( I do in other small field BH's). the speed one at 10:30pm is my bogey tourney tho :(
  • edited November 2013
    Without a doubt the best bh on sky is the 9pm £55 one.

Ive been on your table a couple of times and i genuinely think that a player like yourself could turn a very good monthly profit in this one alone if you played it every night.

Best of luck at the tables and keep the diary going cos theres some interesting stuff in it.

Kev
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can a chicken turn pro? : Yeah, that hand highlighted that I do really need to take more care with my bet sizing  -which I think I have been to a large extent the last few days. The point I'm interested in is whether you think its a shove on the river assuming the 1/3, 1/3 pot line?
    Posted by chicknMelt
    I don't know, it's tricky. I mean it's really not the best of rivers so would probably have to c/f although this hand is one of the better hands we can have to 3 barrel bluff. I'm not too sure either if we should be betting turn when they call a flop bet on this board since they will just have an A so often. But at the same time c/f turn would suck and at least if we only bet 1/3 pot we give ourselves a good price to hit OTR rather tIhan let our opponent stick in a hefty turn bet. A high boards when you have a FD are notoriously difficult to play - I mean on 742 with KQ fd we can happily barrel off because we can hit a K or a Q which will often be good - and in addition if opponent has a pair we can get him to fold on high scare cards. But here OTF we only have our FD and if opponent has an A there aren't any scare over cards that could come and we can't improve with a K or Q either.

Somewhat related to this hand, I'm interested to hear your thoughts about bluffing/high variance lines in tournaments generally. As a cash player all I have to think about is whether or not I think something is +ev, and if it is then I'm good to go. For example - someone opening BTN a high % of the time will get 3-bet/played back a lot and we could end up with a dynamic where there is a lot of 3/4betting going on. It does't matter if there are weaker players in the game because if I lose (so long as it's a +ev play) then I can reload and still win money from the weaker players in other spots. But in a tournament, if I make the same +ev high variance play it doesn't seem quite as appealing because I will get more edge in other situations. 

However, if the BTN knows that you don't want to tangle with them because of this, he can just relentlessly raise you all day, so where do you draw the line?