You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can a chicken go pro?

Comments

• edited November 2013
    ha, just realised that 2/- meant shillings too...I was genuinly looking at that for ages trying to figure out what it meant lol.

• edited November 2013
    SKY's response:  Although it does seem a good gesture to a fellow player, it's not something you'd be able to do unfortunately. It's unlikely to result in a ban but the game would be flagged up to our security desk and the cash returned to your account. 
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can a chicken turn pro?:
    In Response to Re: Can a chicken turn pro? : lol, yeah, no way that is gonna get nicked :D
    Posted by chicknMelt
    Haha, desperate times if it did.

If you have both got paypal you could do a transfer that way.
  • edited November 2013
    Great stuff chicken lol.

Can you donate the tenner to larson and slipwaters just giving page? They are doing a charity 24hr poker marathon, all for a great cause.

Id only burn it in an mtt anyway.

Thanks mate.
  • edited November 2013
    Link please :)

Nice gesture. 
  • edited November 2013

I,ve just realised that i,ve spent the last hour or so reading this thred/blog/diary having initially just glanced at the first entry purely by chance.

Some of it flew way over my head. I didn,t even know what half the abbreviations meant and the calculations took me back to reading my maths book at school and wondering wtf the formula for solving quadratic equations was all about. But that didn,t matter because what really shone through was the genuine affection the people of the community show for each other. Not one "hope you fall flat on your face" or "you're not good enough" just encouragement,ideas,interest and good wishes.

Take a bow Sky Poker Community. You deserve it.

And to you Chickenmelt, the best of luck in your quest. 
  • edited November 2013

I started off the night playing pretty badly to be honest. the usual stuff - me being a massive spewtard. It was so bad in fact, that after I started at 6, by 6:30ish I had busted from about 4 or 5 tourneys for a total value of about £70... So I decided to join TK for some PLO8 DYMs. think I'm starting to get the hang of them - definately went straight into the deep end playing the £11 ones though. some v.good players. I was up at one point, but I think I ended up losing one or 2 more than I won.

The turnaround started with a 2nd place in the 7pm £22bh, then a 9th place finish in the 2kgtd £11bh that I won only a couple of days ago. I still can't seem to cash in the £55 speed BH, finishing 8th this time (6 cash). Didn't manage to get anything going in the main either. In the main events, if you dont build up a decent stack by the time your an hour in, its very difficult to cash, because the structure is quite fast, and there are lots of "bounty hunters".

I saved the best til last, the big BH, along with the main event, probably the most prestigous daily tourney to win (deep structure, big buy in, and mostly good players)... We join the action with 9 left...

----------------

12:40 I seem to be on a really passive table – even people I have marked as agro are playing really passive… managed to build a stack from 30k to 50k… without seeing a turn!

After a while of getting free chips, I started to get played back at… by everyone… probably over did it… If I had reigned back a bit, and not taken the p1 ss, I’m sure I could have kept it going to the final table. – down to 40k

12:55 – final table bubble.. AK soooted utg…just what I’ve been waiting for… lets hope to get played back at. SB made his 3bet a lot smaller than normal, smells like a big hand, but I can’t lay this down. AI, and called by QQ. Flopped an A and a K…and a T, no jack spiked tho J up to 77k, 2/7. Should get a bit of credit again now, esp now I have a big stack… lets put it t good use muahahaha

1:03 – mmm yeah, checky raisy floppy, and barrel again on the turn, villain folds. 88k 1/7

1:12 – A4 in the BB, Sb shoves for < 10bb… CALLLLL! Villain has J7 and I hold… FINAL TABLE, and with double the chips of 2nd place J  112k

1:16 – ok, people aren’t scared of me, and are playing back, will have to tighten up. the final table bubble took a long time, and it looks like people are opening up alot now. 95k

1:20 – open 55 from the button, bb calls (from a 10bb stack?). flop is AA2 and villan insta shoves…clearly not got an A then lol… I call and he turns over KQ. I hold to take another bounty. 118k. 1/5

1:31 opened K4s utg (yeah yeah, I know – I’m bounty hunting)… the ss with 5bb shoves, I call. He has Q8… I flopp a K and a 4. Lol. Down to 4 players, and my chips are up to 166k – half the chips in play.

1:33 – ok, looks like I have been raising pre too much again lol.. everytime, someone 3bet shoves and im forced to fold.

1:39 – down to 3. Im 1/3

1:40 - 2nd place just took out 3rd… HU, with even chips. This guy seems pretty good HU - knows the value of a pair, even if its not top pair... I know this because I was unable to push him off bottom pair... and lost half my chips! must. not. SPEW!

1:42 - just doubled up after I rivered a flush, and villain rivered a straight.

1:44. KJ V TT AIPF. I won. The End.

£584.25 + £338.14 in bounties - weeeeee

around £700 profit for the night..

soooo... time to check sharkscope and see where that puts me for the month...OMG...I'm in profit...this feels WIERD! £238 in profit to be exact!

also on 9516 points, so It looks like I'll make priority this month for the first time too :) those DYMs helped quite a bit!

• edited November 2013
    I started off the night playing pretty badly to be honest. the usual stuff - me being a massive spewtard . It was so bad in fact, that after I started at 6, by 6:30ish I had busted from about 4 or 5 tourneys for a total value of about £70... So I decided to join TK for some PLO8 DYMs. think I'm starting to get the hang of them - definately went straight into the deep end playing the £11 ones though. some v.good players. I was up at one point, but I think I ended up losing one or 2 more than I won. The turnaround started with a 2nd place in the 7pm £22bh, then a 9th place finish in the 2kgtd £11bh that I won only a couple of days ago. I still can't seem to cash in the £55 speed BH, finishing 8th this time (6 cash). Didn't manage to get anything going in the main either. In the main events, if you dont build up a decent stack by the time your an hour in, its very difficult to cash, because the structure is quite fast, and there are lots of "bounty hunters". I saved the best til last, the big BH, along with the main event, probably the most prestigous daily tourney to win (deep structure, big buy in, and mostly good players)... We join the action with 9 left... ---------------- 12:40  I seem to be on a really passive table – even people I have marked as agro are playing really passive… managed to build a stack from 30k to 50k… without seeing a turn!   After a while of getting free chips, I started to get played back at… by everyone… probably over did it… If I had reigned back a bit, and not taken the p1 ss, I’m sure I could have kept it going to the final table. – down to 40k   12:55 – final table bubble.. AK soooted utg…just what I’ve been waiting for… lets hope to get played back at. SB made his 3bet a lot smaller than normal, smells like a big hand, but I can’t lay this down. AI, and called by QQ. Flopped an A and a K…and a T, no jack spiked tho J up to 77k, 2/7. Should get a bit of credit again now, esp now I have a big stack… lets put it t good use muahahaha     1:03 – mmm yeah, checky raisy floppy, and barrel again on the turn, villain folds. 88k 1/7   1:12 – A4 in the BB, Sb shoves for < 10bb… CALLLLL! Villain has J7 and I hold… FINAL TABLE, and with double the chips of 2 nd place J   112k   1:16 – ok, people aren’t scared of me, and are playing back, will have to tighten up. the final table bubble took a long time, and it looks like people are opening up alot now. 95k   1:20 – open 55 from the button, bb calls (from a 10bb stack?). flop is AA2 and villan insta shoves…clearly not got an A then lol… I call and he turns over KQ. I hold to take another bounty. 118k. 1/5   1:31 opened K4s utg (yeah yeah, I know – I’m bounty hunting)… the ss with 5bb shoves, I call. He has Q8… I flopp a K and a 4. Lol. Down to 4 players, and my chips are up to 166k – half the chips in play.   1:33 – ok, looks like I have been raising pre too much again lol.. everytime, someone 3bet shoves and im forced to fold.   1:39 – down to 3. Im 1/3   1:40 - 2 nd place just took out 3 rd … HU, with even chips. This guy seems pretty good HU - knows the value of a pair, even if its not top pair... I know this because I was unable to push him off bottom pair... and lost half my chips! must. not. SPEW! 1:42 - just doubled up after I rivered a flush, and villain rivered a straight. 1:44 . KJ V TT AIPF. I won. The End. £584.25 + £338.14 in bounties - weeeeee around £700 profit for the night.. soooo... time to check sharkscope and see where that puts me for the month...OMG...I'm in profit...this feels WIERD! £238 in profit to be exact! also on 9516 points, so It looks like I'll make priority this month for the first time too :) those DYMs helped quite a bit!
    Posted by chicknMelt

Very nice cash mate!  Nice one.  Knew that - would turn into a + sooner or later.
  • edited November 2013
    Nice score Chicken.......congrats!  Good time to get the xmas shopping done?
  • edited November 2013
    Cheers Gazza! so pleased to have turned it around!

Teddy - just made your donation, with an extra tenner from myself too.
  • edited November 2013
    Good report, great win
    Well done mate
  • edited November 2013
    Chicken still awake = buzzing from mtt win :)
  • edited November 2013
    Chicken still awake = buzzing from mtt win :)
    Posted by Donttelmum
    very true. lol. 

wouldnt be so bad except I have to get up at 7:30am for work! 
  • edited November 2013
    Nice score Chicken.......congrats!  Good time to get the xmas shopping done?
    Posted by Donttelmum
    Thanks DTM, didnt see this before. Already done the xmas shopping (well, the wife has anyway). Its all staying in my BR for the time being.
  • edited November 2013
    I,ve just realised that i,ve spent the last hour or so reading this thred/blog/diary having initially just glanced at the first entry purely by chance. Some of it flew way over my head. I didn,t even know what half the abbreviations meant and the calculations took me back to reading my maths book at school and wondering wtf the formula for solving quadratic equations was all about. But that didn,t matter because what really shone through was the genuine affection the people of the community show for each other. Not one "hope you fall flat on your face" or "you're not good enough" just encouragement,ideas,interest and good wishes. Take a bow Sky Poker Community. You deserve it. And to you Chickenmelt, the best of luck in your quest. 
    Posted by YOYOY
    missed this last night..

yeah, the maths can be a bit boring for some, but its nice to be able to prove mathematically what the correct move is (assuming you have made correct assumptions about the villains range etc).

I'd also like to reitterate what you have said about the sky community - full of nice people, even if they do like a good moan sometimes (we are british, what do you expect?!)

lastly, sorry for taking an hour of your life... ;)

• edited November 2013

probably the most interesting hand from last night... wouldnt mind peoples thoughts on it.

1st point to make is that I have been experimenting with 3bet sizing, especially when OOP - I know it may seem a little large to some :)

Ok, to set the scene, hero is around 2nd or 3rd in chips with 9 or 10 remaining. BB is chip leader. I have been accumilating chips. I had what I think are good reasons for playing the way I did...

Hand History #713991597 (23:49 25/11/2013)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    chicknMelt Small blind  300.00 300.00 28787.50
    P1st3v0 Big blind  600.00 900.00 48249.23
     Your hole cards
    • A

tallytink Fold     
    NooGooood Fold     
    Jack3010 Fold     
    Fat_Uncle Raise  1600.00 2500.00 10508.25
    chicknMelt Raise  5300.00 7800.00 23487.50
    P1st3v0 Call  5000.00 12800.00 43249.23
    Fat_Uncle Fold     
    Flop

chicknMelt Check     
    P1st3v0 Bet  10000.00 22800.00 33249.23
    chicknMelt Fold     
    P1st3v0 Muck     
    P1st3v0 Win  12800.00  46049.23
    P1st3v0 Return  10000.00 0.00 56049.23
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can a chicken go pro?:
    probably the most interesting hand from last night... wouldnt mind peoples thoughts on it. 1st point to make is that I have been experimenting with 3bet sizing, especially when OOP - I know it may seem a little large to some :) Ok, to set the scene, hero is around 2nd or 3rd in chips with 9 or 10 remaining. BB is chip leader. I have been accumilating chips. Hand History #713991597 (23:49 25/11/2013) Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance chicknMelt Small blind   300.00 300.00 28787.50 P1st3v0 Big blind   600.00 900.00 48249.23   Your hole cards 9 A       tallytink Fold         NooGooood Fold         Jack3010 Fold         Fat_Uncle Raise   1600.00 2500.00 10508.25 chicknMelt Raise   5300.00 7800.00 23487.50 P1st3v0 Call   5000.00 12800.00 43249.23 Fat_Uncle Fold         Flop     2 7 4       chicknMelt Check         P1st3v0 Bet   10000.00 22800.00 33249.23 chicknMelt Fold         P1st3v0 Muck         P1st3v0 Win   12800.00   46049.23 P1st3v0 Return   10000.00 0.00 56049.23
    Posted by chicknMelt

Im confused.  You reraise big pre with a suited ace.  Some would say too big... but meh its ok.

You then hit pretty much your dream flop and c/f??

I'd be c-betting all day long.  And if he jams... meh id probably go with it.

Although im happy to peel suited aces OOP rather than 3 bet more often than not, unless villain has been raising every button.
  • edited November 2013
    probably the most interesting hand from last night... wouldnt mind peoples thoughts on it. 1st point to make is that I have been experimenting with 3bet sizing, especially when OOP - I know it may seem a little large to some :) Ok, to set the scene, hero is around 2nd or 3rd in chips with 9 or 10 remaining. BB is chip leader. I have been accumilating chips. I had what I think are good reasons for playing the way I did... Hand History #713991597 (23:49 25/11/2013) Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance chicknMelt Small blind   300.00 300.00 28787.50 P1st3v0 Big blind   600.00 900.00 48249.23   Your hole cards 9 A       tallytink Fold         NooGooood Fold         Jack3010 Fold         Fat_Uncle Raise   1600.00 2500.00 10508.25 chicknMelt Raise   5300.00 7800.00 23487.50 P1st3v0 Call   5000.00 12800.00 43249.23 Fat_Uncle Fold         Flop     2 7 4       chicknMelt Check         P1st3v0 Bet   10000.00 22800.00 33249.23 chicknMelt Fold         P1st3v0 Muck         P1st3v0 Win   12800.00   46049.23 P1st3v0 Return   10000.00 0.00 56049.23
    Posted by chicknMelt
    you have the NFD and you give away the hand on the flop!
    his flat pre doesn't have to signify super strength given your table image and his stack size.
    don't you have to c-bet the flop and re-evaluate on his action.
    or have you been caught c-bet folding too often that you think he'll try to steal it away from you anyway.
    in which case save the 3-bets for when you have position.

• edited November 2013
    ok, I better explain my thinking...

I 3bet prett big (maybe too big, but as I say, experimenting) - the bb flats...he hasn't done this with any of my other 3bets... so something is fishy.

i check the flop planning to shove over a raise (if he bet around half pot, I have the perfect stack to shove with) - he has been betting every time i check to him, but he makes his raise huuge, like almost pot, and almost certainly wont be folding to a shove. 

My thinking is that it was too likely he had an overpair to the board, if its above 99, then I dont have as many outs as you'd think...

I didnt want to take such a high varience line, when I have been happily accumilating chips, and can fold and still have a very playable stack, bigger than average...
  • edited November 2013
    I hate giving advice to someone obviously better than me at tournaments but I really don't think you should be 3-betting this hand (to this size) if you are going to c/f flop! I guess your plan was to c/r to a reasonable sized bet but figure villain is never folding to a shove after he sizes this way and that you're probably up vs an OP where you have 46% equity. Yes, it would be annoying to go out now after sitting on a comfortable stack but I don't think we can throw away a MINIMUM of 46% equity when we only need 39.5% equity to get it in profitably. I said minimum because there's a chance he might have a KcQc, KcJc type hand which we dominate plus he could potentially still be b/f even with that sizing.

If we win this pot we close to guarantee a top 3 finish 80% of the time and should win it somewhat often. (30%?) 

• edited November 2013
    i thought this hand would be contraversial hehe.

@ivanovic - yeah, I realised I would be giving up a bit of equity in this specific hand, but I really felt comfortable with being able to rebuild pretty quickly.... 
  • edited November 2013
    i thought this hand would be contraversial hehe. @ivanovic - yeah, I realised I would be giving up a bit of equity in this specific hand, but I really felt comfortable with being able to rebuild pretty quickly.... 
    Posted by chicknMelt

I just dont get why youd 3 bet with this hand pre, hit your dream flop and check/fold.  Id definitely 100% be c-betting here and wouldnt even care if he jams.  If he calls and you miss then it becomes trickier but im still definitely taking the initiative on the flop, but yes I think the better line is to peel the button raise unless hes been stealing blinds galore and will barrel most flops.
  • edited November 2013
    Im actually really disliking the reraise pre now that ive noticed villains stack size.  What if he 4 bet shoves?
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can a chicken go pro? : I just dont get why youd 3 bet with this hand pre, hit your dream flop and check/fold.  Id definitely 100% be c-betting here and wouldnt even care if he jams.  If he calls and you miss then it becomes trickier but im still definitely taking the initiative on the flop, but yes I think the better line is to peel the button raise unless hes been stealing blinds galore and will barrel most flops.
    Posted by gazza127

99% of the time I would cbet, but this time, i was 100% sure the villain was going to bet, and I would earn more chips by check shoving. also, I dont think he is ever folding to a cbet, after calling the 3bet and that board, this way, i would maximise my fold equity, and get to see all the cards if he calls.

I dont have a sb flat range vs a button open, I hate flatting in the SB - you have a capped range and it encourages the bb to flat - so your playing OOP vs 2 people with a capped range - not good.
  • edited November 2013
    Im actually really disliking the reraise pre now that ive noticed villains stack size.  What if he 4 bet shoves?
    Posted by gazza127
    i'm guessing he has always folded to Chickn's 3-bets
    so until he fights back still worth a try
    but with that flop it has to be a c-bet
    or c/r as intended
    all his big raise on the flop is doing is telling you that you have given him an opening to take the pot and he is going to make it as hard as possible for you to stop him. would you expect him to raise small with his stack?

• edited November 2013
    Posted by gazza127
    I call obv, but reluctantly, and fold to a shove from the BB. if the BB had < 20 bb, I'm just shoving.

**edit** - the 3bet raise was meant to be the minimum to indicate to the button I wasnt folding, whilst not commiting my stack incase the BB shoves over the top
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can a chicken go pro? : i'm guessing he has always folded to Chickn's 3-bets so until he fights back still worth a try but with that flop it has to be a c-bet or c/r as intended all his big raise on the flop is doing is telling you that you have given him an opening to take the pot and he is going to make it as hard as possible for you to stop him. would you expect him to raise small with his stack?
    Posted by GELDY
    no, i'd just expect him to make a standard raise - something around half pot. its normal at this stage to bet less than half pot, regardless of how big your stack is.

If i did think he was going to bet that big, I would have cbet. 
  • edited November 2013
    I've been directed here to look at this hand. It is indeed generating conversation.

I think we need to have better reasoning behind our 3-bet sizing than "experimenting". Presumably there's a reason why you thought this sizing was better than smaller or bigger. 

I'd agree with Gazza about not wanting to 3-bet against the BTN's stack, though. If we 3-bet, unless we go really small, we're pretty well committed to calling off the rest. That allows the villain to play easy poker against us. Assuming he's not going to level himself into shoving weaker Aces too often, we're never getting it in ahead. I don't mind 3-betting if his opening range is really wide, though, as long as he's going to fold a lot of the time. However, we definitely don't need to be going to this large a size as we can leverage our stack against him with a really small 3-bet.

The flop is tough to understand. The only thing I can think of is that you're overestimating your edge. I don't think an edge can ever allow us to pass up such clearly +EV spots. This isn't a marginal situation with the equity our hand has.

I don't particularly like checking the flop. We have a read that the villain is going to bet every time we check but if that bet can leave us with no fold equity, we don't want to be inducing that bet with just a draw, particularly if we can't always be confident in going with the hand. I think we should be leading.

Even after checking, I think we have far too much equity to just fold, as I said above.
  • edited November 2013

Just want to pick up on something posted while I was typing...

Flatting a button raise from the small blind doesn't need to cap your range. There are really good arguments for flatting the top of our range against a wide open from the button.