You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The Build A Bankroll Thread

Comments

• edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session TONIGHT 25th Feb 8pm-midnight:
    Session 43  (2 hr x 6 tabs) -£13.90 Session 44 (6 hr x 6tabs) +£25.31 BR: 527.73 Again, I started this session by calling off light/bluffing too much and was in the hole for around 3 or 4 buyins. I smartened up and relaxed into the session and began to claw back my losses.  Halfway through the session I switched to the MC tables to get on TV and had some success cracking KK with q9s - although Ross said I was too nitty on the river not betting my 2 pair. The last time I featured on the show Ryan said I was 'a bit excessive' in my play and its fair to say that I can be erratic in my game. Ended the session well up on all tables and was a bit dissapointed to see I only made a small profit. Still, I am moving in the right direction and having a bit more fun in the chatbox and enjoying my sessions. Exited the main early after calling a bizarre overbet shove in a 3b pot - I need to stop doing this with questionable holdings (AQ on 7 high flop) as more often than not the villain is showing up with a value hand played badly (99). I know I am unlikely to be ahead but am stubborn and curious. Small cash in the mini after being rivered in a big pot when put my foot down after the bubble and could not recover. Tried a sat for the 30k roller and opponents hit runner runner straights twice to bust me from top 3 stack. Ill keep trying to sat into this tourny.
    Posted by jimb0d1

Looks like you've found your groove now Jim. Pleased to see you in profit and I think it can only go onwards from here. Would be great to see the double-up in the next 2 or 3 months.

• edited February 2014
    Nice result last night Rich. You seem to be cashing a lot in the tourneys.
    I've hardly played at all since last Tuesday when I shared a table with you in the main.

After a high like that, everything else seems a bit dull.*

*or my internet has been a bit hit and miss.
  • edited February 2014
    Session 45  (1 hr x 6 tabs) -£37.36  BR: 490.37

Overconfident, or jinxed by Rich and Dim's nice comments??!! :)      Short nightmare session. Called a 4b shove with JJ while tilted and had the sense to come away from tables.

I went through to The Lake District for a quick trip. Drove the stunning Kirkstone pass in glorious sunshine, sank a few ales on a river cruise and forgot about poker for a while. 

On my return today I checked the forums and saw that I am still in line for extra rewards cash on the winter wonderland promo. Happy days.
  • edited February 2014
    Session 46 (3hr x 6) - £38.99 BR: £453.01

Another horror show to end the month. Larson7 beat me in a few 3b pots and played the streets well to get max value. Generally played a little loose and unthinking. Anyway:

January summary: Sucked, sussed it, sucked worse than ever!!!
    Jan lessons: Play tighter, concentrate, be a believer

February goals: Hit 5000 reward points, turn any profit from my cash poker 

Fell well short at 4287 points. This is still a record high for me and looking at near £90 rewards back inc promos. Despite a few bad sessions at the end of the month I turned a profit of £57.11.
    So, despite only hitting my stride for a few sessions February was a profitable month. Dipped below starting bankroll again but did turn a profit so I will give myself a C- grade!

February summary: Swingy!!! 
    Feb Lessons: Start solid, be consistent, respect good players

March Goals: Hit 5000 reward points, make a profit of £100 from my cash poker

• edited March 2014
    Session 47 (3hr x 6) + £26.94 BR: £479.95

Bar one inexplicable stack off with a3 on 224k I played quite well. In one hand I made some big calls with 77 on a board with 2 overcards but correctly read my opponent and managed to double up. Caught a hand of mine on the channel where I folded top set to a river pot donk and saw that oppo did have the flush - 'Fold of the century' said Rich! Its now safely saved on my sky planner ;)
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session Wednesday 5th March 8pm-midnight:
    Session 47 (3hr x 6) + £26.94 BR: £479.95 Bar one inexplicable stack off with a3 on 224k I played quite well. In one hand I made some big calls with 77 on a board with 2 overcards but correctly read my opponent and managed to double up. Caught a hand of mine on the channel where I folded top set to a river pot donk and saw that oppo did have the flush - 'Fold of the century' said Rich! Its now safely saved on my sky planner ;)
    Posted by jimb0d1

Lol! You're welcome Jim.

I don't want to take away from your moment by pointing out that this century is only 13 years old so far...so I won't. ;-)
  • edited March 2014
    Right- I've decided to play tonight instead of Wednesday.

So I've just entered the main and the mini.

Good luck everyone!
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session Wednesday 5th March 8pm-midnight:
    Nice result last night Rich. You seem to be cashing a lot in the tourneys. I've hardly played at all since last Tuesday when I shared a table with you in the main. After a high like that, everything else seems a bit dull.* *or my internet has been a bit hit and miss.
    Posted by Jac35
    Cheers Jac- hope to see you back on the tables soon!
  • edited March 2014
    Session 48 (4hr x 6) + £53.25 BR: £533.20

Won £20 of this in one pot when I called a 3b and call with a9s and flopped quads like a boss. One of the unlucky players in the hand was a serial moaner throughout my session and had earlier annoyed me  by berating an inexperienced player. Of course he let me know that I made a losing play in the chatbox after I collected the pot!

Other than that I had a big hand vs one of the forum 'Craigs' (think SG?) who manged to turn a bigger full house than the one I rivered. bo0oooooo0!

Very satisfactory hourly rate though and also final tabled a tourny and trebled my money in a timed mtt so obviously in form. 
  • edited March 2014
    Session 49 (2hr x 6tabs)  +0.35 BR: £533.55 

Short wild session. Made a few big calls and one mangled hand with 2nd pair in a 3b pot where could have saved 60bb. Knocked up 500 poker points today and happy with results.
  • edited March 2014
    Session 50 (1hr x 6tabs) +£50.80
    BR: £584.35

Smashed the tables for an hour - hitting big hands and value shoving the river to death Easy game!
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session TONIGHT 8pm-midnight:
    Session 50 (1hr x 6tabs) +£50.80 BR: £584.35 Smashed the tables for an hour - hitting big hands and value shoving the river to death Easy game!
    Posted by jimb0d1
    Well done Jim. Back in profit. Woohoo!

An update on my session last night. Played 5 MTTs in the end- quite a few bounty hunters. Min cashed in the mini and picked up some bounties there.

Biggest result though was making the final table in a 74 runner £750 BH, picking up around £40.

All told, my BR is down about £30 on the night. But I had fun!
  • edited March 2014
    hi ric, 

just too let you know how i got on with the turbo seat u gave me so thank you.

BR was low and has took a little jump now 

Chris_Mc013£63.54
  • edited March 2014
    Session 51 (7hr x 6tabs) +£55.72
    BR: £640.07

Big looooo000nnngg session after my girlfriend decided to watch all of her TV shows and leave me to my own devices. I played quite well and built up big stacks at all my tables. Towards the end of the session I lost a few big pots consecutively with QQ < AA , KK > set etc. Fairly standard spots but perhaps need to adjust my 4b/stackoff ranges vs some of the regs.

The hands seriously ate into my profit and I thought I had finished the session only up £30 or so, but I had forgotten that I played a few tournys early in the night and after counting up my cash balance I still made a respectable hourly rate of about £8 ph (more than I make at work, and tax free!).

A few of the regs have commented on my play and been mostly complimentary so thanks to those that have been at my tables. 
  • edited March 2014
    Sess 52 (5hr x 6tabs) -£68.28
    BR: £571.79

Didn't see this coming! My rewards money went in while I was playing so I didn't realise I was so far behind in my session. Cancelled out my Jan rewards payment in one session. Oops!

Coolered a few times....set over set, overflushed, and a rivered set with 55 no draw from my opponent after I 3b and bet all streets with my overpair being the worst. Full MC buyin blown and the fella jumped off the table immediately. C'est la vie...

Made a horrendous river call with rivered 2 pr vs a slowplayed set. Confused at time but easy fold in retrospect.

Couldn't get away from this one, impossible right? 2nd nuts and redraw to a flush:
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    ristop Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £19.98
    buddha69 Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £15.89
      Your hole cards

Rumpy Fold     
    elbows7 Fold     
    skymac47 Fold     
    jimb0d1 Raise  £0.20 £0.35 £22.33
    ristop Call  £0.15 £0.50 £19.83
    buddha69 Fold     
    Flop

• Q
    • J

ristop Check     
    jimb0d1 Bet  £0.30 £0.80 £22.03
    ristop Call  £0.30 £1.10 £19.53
    Turn

• K

ristop Check     
    jimb0d1 Bet  £0.70 £1.80 £21.33
    ristop Raise  £1.95 £3.75 £17.58
    jimb0d1 Raise  £5.20 £8.95 £16.13
    ristop All-in  £17.58 £26.53 £0.00
    jimb0d1 All-in  £16.13 £42.66 £0.00
    jimb0d1 Unmatched bet  £2.50 £40.16 £2.50
    ristop Show
    • A

jimb0d1 Show

River

ristop Win Straight to the Ace £38.76  £38.76
    Actually, looking back at that little lot I didn't do too badly to come out 3 buyins down as most of my play was on my preferred MC tables. Perhaps I should not play on too many of these as I am not fully rolled but I figure its ok and will help me if I move up the levels.

I am really learning about the extra skill required to get away in deepstack games and didn't make too many preflop mistakes, perhaps need to work on my turn/river play a little more.

• edited March 2014
    hi ric,  just too let you know how i got on with the turbo seat u gave me so thank you. BR was low and has took a little jump now  Chris_Mc 0 13 £63.54
    Posted by Chris_Mc
    Nice one Chris!

This is exactly what I hoped my Turbo seats would achieve- decent boosts on BRs of players really giving it a go and posting about it on this thread.  :-)

Don't forget everyone, I give away a seat every week to the Turbo Tuesday Open and it goes to the best contribution of the week on this thread regarding bank-roll challenges.

So post yours today and update as you go along and put yourself in the running for a main event freeroll!
  • edited March 2014
    so what tables you playing tonight rich?
    can't find you at the mo
  • edited March 2014
    thank again really enjoyed it,

next target is too try and win a main or mini

not that its up too me but I think jimb01d has earned one, really enjoy looking at his posts on this with his diary.

was shocked that I got one but not complaining thanks again.
  • edited March 2014
    rich,

I have sent you a private message if u manage too read it, although I fear I may have sent more than one so apolagies in advance.
  • edited March 2014
    thank again really enjoyed it, next target is too try and win a main or mini not that its up too me but I think jimb01d has earned one, really enjoy looking at his posts on this with his diary. was shocked that I got one but not complaining thanks again.
    Posted by Chris_Mc
    Cheers Chris.  Had 2 seats from Rich already and its all a bonus really. My mtt game is suffering a bit but did manage to cash in my free seat :)
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session TONIGHT 8pm-midnight : Cheers Chris.  Had 2 seats from Rich already and its all a bonus really. My mtt game is suffering a bit but did manage to cash in my free seat :)
    Posted by jimb0d1
    ahh, nice 1 didn't relise, quite new too the forum so hadn't notice you'd had won a couple of times,

good luck in your sessions.
  • edited March 2014
    Sess 53 (2hr x 6tabs) +£36.24
    BR: £608.03

Not much cash tonight. Tried a few sngs but lost a little. Satelited into 4k bh and got a bit unlucky/maybe should have got away from AA vs chicknmelt when he turned 2pr on something like 29tj. Didnt have too much behind and maybe should have chk-folded flop but meh.....cost me £6 so not too bad. Made a decent start in mini but busted midstages.

On the cash tables I managed to push edges well vs inexperienced players and built up a decent profit. I got very lucky in a 4b pot when I managed to spike a set of KK vs AA to give me another juicy pot that was more than welcome after a bad day overall on the tables.

• edited March 2014

Sess 53 (2hr x 6tabs) +£36.24 BR: £608.03 Not much cash tonight. Tried a few sngs but lost a little. Satelited into 4k bh and got a bit unlucky/maybe should have got away from AA vs chicknmelt when he turned 2pr on something like 29tj. Didnt have too much behind and maybe should have chk-folded flop but meh.....cost me £6 so not too bad. Made a decent start in mini but busted midstages. On the cash tables I managed to push edges well vs inexperienced players and built up a decent profit. I got very lucky in a 4b pot when I managed to spike a set of KK vs AA to give me another juicy pot that was more than welcome after a bad day overall on the tables.

Posted by jimb0d1

i dont think you did much wrong jim

u were pretty unlucky to get turned by my 2pair.

i was giving up on the turn if you continueed your agression and I didnt improve :S sorry bud

• edited March 2014
    Yeah I meant could possibly fold turn but would have been very short.

Sess 54 (1hr x 6tabs) +£13.08
    BR: £608.11

• edited March 2014
    sess 55 (2hr x 6tabs) -£33.85
    BR: 574.26

Played too loose and aggressive. Time for bed!
  • edited March 2014
    Session 56 (3hr x 5tabs) -£29.16
    BR: £545.10

Again played too loose and paid the price. One step forward and two steps back at the moment. Ah well! I had fun and managed to cooler TINTIN when i turned a set of jacks vs his AA when all the money went in on a low flop. If it makes him feel any better he was the 'Tight winning awesome player' from the favourite notes thread!!  :)

Fortunately, I was playing the mini at the same time and had a very deep run which included a few headprizes along the way. I was ultimately dissapointed after busting in 11th place after holding the chip lead for a long time throughout the mid-late stages, but it meant that I made a modest profit from the night overall.
  • edited March 2014
    Sess 57 (1.5 hrs x 6) +18.80
    BR: 563.90

Short session after work while 'One born every minute' is on for my gf. She also watched 'The elephant that loved too much' - the program that made Tikay cry! There is some terrible TV around at the moment, although 'True Detective' is warming up nicely and 'Game of Thrones' will be back soon.

I have seen the top 3 series thread on the off topic forum and give my vote to 1) The Sopranos 2) The Wire and then its some distance to no. 3) Breaking Bad. British TV has some great comedies like 'Father Ted', 'The Office' or 'Im Alan Partridge' but we will never make something as complex and intelligent as 'The Wire', especially if the BBC moves to subscription and the less discerning viewers continue to lap up the cheap and exploitative reality TV series' available on terrestrial commercial TV. Thank god for Sky and the BBC I say!

On to poker, I made a good start after late regging the mini but couldnt get anything going after my initial double up and shoved a6o into bb with AA when short at 10bb or so.

Managed to make a quick profit at the cash tables despite a few loose calls and I am still in touch of a decent bonus on the silver leaderboard despite not playing much at all. Planning to try and get some volume in during Cheltenham week but working most days until 8pm so unlikely to push the leading players. Working 8-8 shifts sucks for poker.
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session Wednesday 12th March 8pm-midnight:
    Sess 57 (1.5 hrs x 6) +18.80 BR: 563.90 Short session after work while 'One born every minute' is on for my gf. She also watched 'The elephant that loved too much' - the program that made Tikay cry! There is some terrible TV around at the moment, although 'True Detective' is warming up nicely and 'Game of Thrones' will be back soon. I have seen the top 3 series thread on the off topic forum and give my vote to 1) The Sopranos 2) The Wire and then its some distance to no. 3) Breaking Bad. British TV has some great comedies like 'Father Ted', 'The Office' or 'Im Alan Partridge' but we will never make something as complex and intelligent as 'The Wire', especially if the BBC moves to subscription and the less discerning viewers continue to lap up the cheap and exploitative reality TV series' available on terrestrial commercial TV. Thank god for Sky and the BBC I say! On to poker, I made a good start after late regging the mini but couldnt get anything going after my initial double up and shoved a6o into bb with AA when short at 10bb or so. Managed to make a quick profit at the cash tables despite a few loose calls and I am still in touch of a decent bonus on the silver leaderboard despite not playing much at all. Planning to try and get some volume in during Cheltenham week but working most days until 8pm so unlikely to push the leading players. Working 8-8 shifts sucks for poker.
    Posted by jimb0d1

Just caught up with your latest entries, Jim. Keep it up, really enjoying your blog! 

Re-your TV thoughts. I loved/love The Wire, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones and I've just started True Detective. Fess up time though- I've never seen The Sopranos! Am I seriously missing out? Or has it's time passed and it would now seem dated after watching the shows I mentioned above?

I get the One Born Every Minute-poker thing though. My gf watches all manner of C4 docusoaps whilst I play. The amount of renovated houses, cupcakes, failing restaurants and hotels and extreme surgery I've seen sat in my own home is frightening.

As for your poker- you're still up on the year. So I wouldn't worry too much about the steps backwards. I think once you break a grand you'll never dip under it again as you move up the levels and gain even more experience.

Might see you at the tables tonight- I'm playing the main/mini and maybe some cash and other MTTs. :)

• edited March 2014
    never seen sopranos!!!!

it has to be the best tv series i have seen, i dont think it will seem dated its a fantastic show,
    right now im on sons of anarchy,nearing end of season 6, also dexter is good,
    after sons im onto Breakin Bad.

just got my p.m aswell, did u send it 4 times as payback lol, i didnt mean it.
    the team game is once a month.

ill post when its due round again, miby play some cash games later if your on, i wouldnt mind taking the presenters cash lol. made a massive £2 today at 8nl playing for  1 hour recording my stats which i placed on my diary. 

gl
  • edited March 2014
    Orford - The Sopranos is probably the best drama series ever made.

I'm currently watching Breaking Bad (which is - as you'll know - widely regarded as a modern classic) and while it's good, it's not doing it for me the way Tony and his crew did.

Get yourself down to Bada Bing pronto!