You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The Build A Bankroll Thread

Comments

• edited March 2014
    sess 62 (3hr x 6tabs) -36.99 br: £493.16

Oh dear. Back into a small loss for the challenge so far. This was actually not a bad result in this session as after an hour I was at least £50 down, ignoring my stoploss (again) and tilting so badly that CraigSG1 actually advised me to get a grip in the chatbox after seeing me make multiple bad calls across a few tables. Cheers Craig! 

I got my head straight and clawed a little back. I am finding it hard to stop the same leaks.........calling off to overbets and reraises without the nuts, calling 3bs out of position and overplaying strong draws with no fold equity vs loose opposition.

In one pot, my opponent limp-called pre with 99. Donk minbet all streets with top set, then overbet shoved the river with a rivered fh to my rivered flush. I was completely confused and so called off a whole stack when I could have gotten away easily. 

It is not all bad news though, I should have wrapped up a £50 bonus in the silver leaderboard and will perhaps play more on sunday. 

• edited March 2014
    Sess 63 (3hr x 4tabs) +23.37 br: £516.53

Back into profit (again). Confirmed win of £50 in the first fortnight leaderboard. 

I dont include rewards/promo/sng or mtt winnings in this thread balance, but its worth noting that I have earned about £200 of rewards money from my cash play so far, just as a breakeven player. My style is quite aggressive/spewy and I probably gain a few more points than other regs at my level but even so, anyone who can breakeven at nl10 and plays 2 or 3 hours a day can probably make £800+ in rewards alone easily over the year.....enough to cover the mini every other day if nothing else.

I'm disappointed to have blown my profit again in the last week or so, but will keep plugging away.

The zombie survival night at the Castle Keep was good fun. The setting was perfect, with zombie moans travelling along 400 year old stone corridors and steep uneven staircases. I would recommend this kind of event to anyone who fancies something a bit different!

Finished the night with a few pints of delicious Bourbon Stout in 'The Bridge Hotel', an excellent traditional pub just across the road from the Keep. As I get older (30 now), I am beginning to find the appeal in real ale as opposed to drinking lots of lager. I'm not quite a militant real ale drinker, complete with Hobgoblin T shirt and accompanying facial hair - but I do appreciate something a little different every now and then. 

I'm about to head doon Toon shortly for St Patricks Day, which is always eventful! If you see me on the tables later then fill ya boots because I doubt I will even be able to see the screen properly.
  • edited March 2014
    Sess 64 (2hr x 4tabs) +18.54 br: £535.07

Little session whilst hungover. One of the regs suggested playing a few 6max sngs for the promo so I ended my cash session early.

I played 15 sngs: 6 wins and 3 second place finishes. I love the regular 6max games and am delighted to see them running so frequently, at one stage I was playing 9 tables after forgetting to de-reg from a few games. One of my second places was to TOMMYD, shared a few games with THEROCK and also liamboi. It is cool to see a range of regs all playing together at the £5 level... hopefully I can get in amongst them on the leaderboard.
  • edited March 2014
    WELL!!
    I'm now out of the "Main" tuesday Turbo Open. I feel I ran really quite well having played for 1hr 45mins and eventually my stack ran down to around 2200, with the blinds at 400/800. 

I had 9/8 off suit and limp called, as I was due to be in the blinds shortly and felt I may end up getting non-playable hands and therefore "should make a move"

Flop came 6c, Qs, 7d. 

so I was thinking I've now got 6789, open-ended str8 draw, with quite a few outs...so I shoved.

Turn and river came the following 4hearts & 2diamonds.

JonesyTHFC's cards were turned over to reveal A,3 SUITED! Im OUT! :'(

Hard-done by? Bad beat? I feel I was.

If you guys want me to post the whole hand I will. 

Missed out on the prizes by around 50-odd positions as tonight's comp paid out to 72 places.

I just want to say a massive thanks to Rich for giving me the opportunity to take part and I'll be sure to drop u a message when you are live on thursday.
  • edited March 2014
    Sess 65 (2hr x 6tabs) +33.04 br: £568.11

Short blast. Ran quite well, apart from one hand where I had to sigh fold a set (see clinic). Will be back at it after lunch.
  • edited March 2014
    I heard a rumour that Orford will be playing some DYMs tonight from 7pm-8pm...

• edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session Wednesday 12th March 8pm-midnight:
    WELL!! I'm now out of the "Main" tuesday Turbo Open. I feel I ran really quite well having played for 1hr 45mins and eventually my stack ran down to around 2200, with the blinds at 400/800.  I had 9/8 off suit and limp called, as I was due to be in the blinds shortly and felt I may end up getting non-playable hands and therefore "should make a move" Flop came 6c, Qs, 7d.  so I was thinking I've now got 6789, open-ended str8 draw, with quite a few outs...so I shoved. Turn and river came the following 4hearts & 2diamonds. JonesyTHFC's cards were turned over to reveal A,3 SUITED! Im OUT! :'( Hard-done by? Bad beat? I feel I was. If you guys want me to post the whole hand I will.  Missed out on the prizes by around 50-odd positions as tonight's comp paid out to 72 places. I just want to say a massive thanks to Rich for giving me the opportunity to take part and I'll be sure to drop u a message when you are live on thursday.
    Posted by GaryLaud

Hiya Gary, 

I think the whole problem boils down to you having so few chips. As a general rule of thumb, you want to be either shoving or folding with 10bb or less. the reason for this is you dont really have enough chips to be raising then fodling if someone reraises - every chip is vital, especially this shallow because if/when you do double up every chip you had is now worth double.

you also dont want to let your stack drop below 10bb if you can help it (or 6-8 bb in a turbo since the stacks are alot shallower in relation to the blinds). the main reason for this is fold equity. Fold equity is basically the value you gain from being able to make your opponent fold. I dont know what stack your opponent had in your exit hand, but I would also be calling with A high at least some of the time after all, we only hit a pair on the flop 1/3 of the time, A high is often "good" in a spot like this.

one other point (sorry if you feel like i'm pulling your play apart :S) is that is is basically never right to limp (just call the bb) when playing NLH. It makes you very easy to play against because your raising range wil be stronger than normal, and your limping range will include alot of weaker/ speculative hands, you never have the betting lead - so normally need to hit to win.

A simplified version of what will happen often: I isolate limpers with a wide range of hands when in position (they limp, I raise, everyone else folds, and the limper calls). Now I am in position, with the betting lead playing vs a player with a weak range. You check the flop to me and I bet, if you miss, you fold and I win regardless of my hand. 

hope all that kinda makes sense!

• edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session Wednesday 12th March 8pm-midnight:
    I heard a rumour that Orford will be playing some DYMs tonight from 7pm-8pm...
    Posted by Sky_Dave

All true! I'm taking on the might of Ross Jarvis. Look out for us between 7pm and 8pm on the £5.50 to £22 DYM TV tables tonight and if you grab a seat on the same table the all the better. They'll be plenty of banter and the games will make for an hour long show next Tuesday night (25th) on Sky Poker TV.

• edited March 2014
    Sess 66 (2hr x 6tabs) -82.41 br: £485.70

Horror Session. KK lost to AK all in pre for £20. KK lost out to JJ on Jxx flop. 

Stacked off with top2 + qh fd turn for another £25....

Nut fd getting 2-1 on my money for £10.....

Just got bashed about. I did not realise the loss was so big until I had left the tables. Auto topup is not always your friend.
  • edited March 2014
    Sess 70 (1hrx6) +24.72 br: 510.42

• edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session TONIGHT 7pm-8pm DYMs 8pm onwards Main and Mini:
    Posted by jimb0d1
    Much Better performance this time Jim - Well done! 
  • edited March 2014
    WELL!! I'm now out of the "Main" tuesday Turbo Open. I feel I ran really quite well having played for 1hr 45mins and eventually my stack ran down to around 2200, with the blinds at 400/800.  I had 9/8 off suit and limp called, as I was due to be in the blinds shortly and felt I may end up getting non-playable hands and therefore "should make a move" Flop came 6c, Qs, 7d.  so I was thinking I've now got 6789, open-ended str8 draw, with quite a few outs...so I shoved. Turn and river came the following 4hearts & 2diamonds. JonesyTHFC's cards were turned over to reveal A,3 SUITED! Im OUT! :'( Hard-done by? Bad beat? I feel I was. If you guys want me to post the whole hand I will.  Missed out on the prizes by around 50-odd positions as tonight's comp paid out to 72 places. I just want to say a massive thanks to Rich for giving me the opportunity to take part and I'll be sure to drop u a message when you are live on thursday.
    Posted by GaryLaud
    A decent effort Gary. Well played. Drop me a line tomorrow night on the show!
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session TONIGHT 7pm-8pm DYMs 8pm onwards Main and Mini:
    Posted by jimb0d1
    Frustrating for you Jim that you're hovering constantly between £400-£600 and not getting clear daylight on the original BR.

You always seem to recognise where you're making mistakes though, which tells me you're doing your legwork now whilst not losing anything, ready for it all to click into place and for you to go on a run soon which will take up past £700 and beyond.

Fingers crossed!
  • edited March 2014
    Not the most profitable night for me.

Played a couple of £11 DYMs early doors, Haven't played those in ages! Lost one- won one. Both times playing against Ross Jarvis, and you can see the action from that on next Tuesday's live show during our poker strategy section on Double Your Moneys.

Then finished about 30-40  spots off the money in both the main and the mini.

Ty to the railers once again and to the players I chatted with on the tables.

Good luck with your bankroll ventures this week!
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session TONIGHT 7pm-8pm DYMs 8pm onwards Main and Mini : Frustrating for you Jim that you're hovering constantly between £400-£600 and not getting clear daylight on the original BR. You always seem to recognise where you're making mistakes though, which tells me you're doing your legwork now whilst not losing anything, ready for it all to click into place and for you to go on a run soon which will take up past £700 and beyond. Fingers crossed!
    Posted by RicOrford
    Lets hope so. I liked your previous 'performing under exam conditions' analogy.  I think my best game is as good as anyone at this level....but I get lazy, bored, overconfident, curious etc and can spew chips very quickly in a bad session...plus I do like to experiment in 3b pots after reading strategy aimed at higher level play. On for £200+ rewards from the challenge so far so still motivated to keep going.
  • edited March 2014
    Sess 71 (1hrx1) +15.84 br: 526.26

I did well out of the site problems. I was losing to the away players in the 3kbh, but had more than my buyin refunded  :)  

I could only get oplaying on one cash table. Very good player on my right and played shorthanded for quite a long time but i ran well and picked up some nice pots before the mtts were settled and my opponents left the table.
  • edited March 2014
    Sess 72 (4hrs x 4) -7.22 br: 519.04

Not much to report. 

In an effort to up my roi in the skill promo I played another 5 games (depending on a few being cancelled due to problems).

10 firsts, 7 seconds from 35 games = 39% ROI. Need to win 3 of next 5 or will knock it on the head.

• edited March 2014
    Sess 73 (1 x 6) - 6.99
    Sess 74 (1x4) -9.55
    Sess 75 (4x4) - 16.45   BR: 486.05

Sucked in these sessions. I lost a £25 pot where my reads were right on a 3 barrel bluff, but opponent managed to river tp when he had no right to still be in the hand  :p

I know that to get back moving in the right direction I need to tighten up and play boring steady poker, but cant seem to do it at the moment. Need 750 points to hit 5k target so cant rest yet this month.

Busted a decent 40%ish ROI in skill in go when had a 5 game losing streak where I couldnt win a flip.

• edited March 2014
    Sess 73 (1 x 6) - 6.99 Sess 74 (1x4) -9.55 Sess 75 (4x4) - 16.45   BR: 486.05 Sucked in these sessions. I lost a £25 pot where my reads were right on a 3 barrel bluff, but opponent managed to river tp when he had no right to still be in the hand  :p I know that to get back moving in the right direction I need to tighten up and play boring steady poker, but cant seem to do it at the moment. Need 750 points to hit 5k target so cant rest yet this month. Busted a decent 40%ish ROI in skill in go when had a 5 game losing streak where I couldnt win a flip.
    Posted by jimb0d1

Sess 76 (3hr x6) £30.38  BR: 516.43

Boring, steady, proftable.

Won early sat to the 10k BH and the semi this aft...but taken the money for now.
  • edited March 2014
    Giving the main and mini a go tonight.

Might play a few DYMs too if there's time.

Good luck all!
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session TONIGHT 7pm-8pm DYMs 8pm onwards Main and Mini : Lets hope so. I liked your previous 'performing under exam conditions' analogy.  I think my best game is as good as anyone at this level....but I get lazy, bored, overconfident, curious etc and can spew chips very quickly in a bad session...plus I do like to experiment in 3b pots after reading strategy aimed at higher level play. On for £200+ rewards from the challenge so far so still motivated to keep going.
    Posted by jimb0d1
    That's good. Tell me exactly what you mean by that. Do you mean for this month? You'll get over £200 at the end of March in Sky Poker rewards?

Pretty impressive volume if so.

Anyway- for your continued efforts on the tables and on this thread- I'm awarding you a second shot at the Turbo Open on Tuesday 1st April (no April's Fool joke!)

I genuinely hope that you'll final table off it and double up your bankroll!
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session TONIGHT WED 26th MARCH:
    Giving the main and mini a go tonight. Might play a few DYMs too if there's time. Good luck all!
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    Go take some money off TK if u dare!
  • edited March 2014

Build a Bankroll?,
    Well mine isn't going too badly - After playing really well recently, I was duly rewarded last night, earning myself third place in a DYM sit & go. OK I only entered a cheap one £0.60p, but we've all got to start somewhere eh?

my 60p earned myself a 40p profit, by the time you take the rake off...

VERY Very pleased with things at present...now to win a prize in one of those MTT freerolls I enjoy entering! 

Giving the main and mini a go tonight. Might play a few DYMs too if there's time. Good luck all!
    Posted by RICHORFORD

By the way best of luck for the Main & Mini tonight Rich - Please let us know how you ran when you go live next! (Tomorrow - thursday isn't it?)

• edited March 2014
    The £200 will be jan, feb and march rewards + 50/75 extra from the leader board  promo...pushing 5k points this month which has been hard to reach, even when I played a lot during Cheltenham double rewards week. 
  • edited March 2014
    The £200 will be jan, feb and march rewards + 50/75 extra from the leader board  promo...pushing 5k points this month which has been hard to reach, even when I played a lot during Cheltenham double rewards week. 
    Posted by jimb0d1
    Jim,
    Could you give me some advice on how I can earn/accrue some more points? 
    OR
    Point me to something I can read which is already on the website?
  • edited March 2014
    Well played tonight Rich, another good run. Good fortune still running for me since getting involved last Thursday :-). 1K BH at 6,45 tonight 
    Matt23702£82.15 + £12.30 Head Prizes5
  • edited March 2014
    Cheers guys!

Yes, a reasonably deep run in the mini but a very deep run in the main. Another night finishing on a profit. Didn't even have time to play any DYMs! Will definitely do that next week.

Keep it all up, folks!

RicOrford019£57.97
  • edited March 2014
    Cheers guys! Yes, a reasonably deep run in the mini but a very deep run in the main. Another night finishing on a profit. Didn't even have time to play any DYMs! Will definitely do that next week. Keep it all up, folks! RicOrford 0 19 £57.97
    Posted by RicOrford
    Well Done in your result posted here. Is that your "very deep run in the main" result you have posted there?
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session TONIGHT WED 26th MARCH : Well Done in your result posted here. Is that your "very deep run in the main" result you have posted there?
    Posted by GaryLaud
    I do believe it is, Gary.

Nice work, Rich. You're making headway on my Leaderboard ;)
  • edited March 2014
    Build a bankroll:- Well I've never really said so here is my target which i want to achieve by 30/4.

Balance:- £2.60 (I want to double to just above £5 by either prizes in MTT or success on DYM

MTT's:- to be occasionally getting 10 places either side of the bubble (am currently achieving 10 places outside bubble mark)

S&G's:- To be regularly placing 3rd or better in DYM's. Once confident I am regularly achieving this, then I will move upto playing the normal S&G's which earns good payouts for 1st & 2nd.

Cash Games: To have enough confidence in my game that I am succesful at building a chip stack, and only then, will I consider entering a cash game, probably start at 2p/4p bracket to start with. Some might encourage me to play these regularly - any tips for rookies playing these cash games?

What do you guys think on these targets?