You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The Build A Bankroll Thread

Comments

• edited March 2014
    Sess 77 (3hr x6) -42.32  BR: 474.11
    sess 78 (3x6) - 25.48 BR: 448.63
    sess 79 (6hr x 6tables) BR: 496.69

Stopped the freefall last night with an extra long session that took me up to 5k rewards points, thats £100 cashback + a probable £50 from the leaderboard promo. I wont include these payments in my challenge balance but they have basically paid for a month of tournament buy ins. Played the 12k 10k BH the other night but didnt get much luck.

In the very first hand of this cash session I 3b shoved the river with the nut flush vs a good player for 200bb when I failed to see that the board had paired, after an hour I was probably in the hole for £40 but kept my head straight and eventually turned a decent profit.

• edited March 2014
    Bank Roll  6th March... £0.69

Bank Roll 29th March  £294.94

Mainly DYM's and occassional MTTs    
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session TONIGHT WED 26th MARCH:
    Sess 77 (3hr x6) -42.32  BR: 474.11 sess 78 (3x6) - 25.48 BR:  448.63 sess 79 (6hr x 6tables) BR: 496.69 Stopped the freefall last night with an extra long session that took me up to 5k rewards points, thats £100 cashback + a probable £50 from the leaderboard promo. I wont include these payments in my challenge balance but they have basically paid for a month of tournament buy ins. Played the 12k 10k BH the other night but didnt get much luck. In the very first hand of this cash session I 3b shoved the river with the nut flush vs a good player for 200bb when I failed to see that the board had paired, after an hour I was probably in the hole for £40 but kept my head straight and eventually turned a decent profit.
    Posted by jimb0d1
    100% think you should include this. Your gaining most of these points at cash and they are therefore contributing to your BR. 

I would appreciate a PM as well on what your views are on my cash play and I will do the same. You are definatley more aggressive than me so some discussion would be nice. We havae bith moved up from 4nl and you have come a long way. Keep it up.
  • edited March 2014
    Bank Roll  6th March... £0.69 Bank Roll 29th March  £294.94 Mainly DYM's and occassional MTTs    
    Posted by JockBMW
    Having watched Richard Orford and Ross Jarvis LIVE show the other night on DYM's, they advised new players that they could start off by playing these DYM's (I've also been hammering the freerolls as well) and I think this advice has begun to pay dividends!!

I've had a hugely successful and satisfying night at the tables and here are my results

Orig BR: £2.60
    £0.30p TURBO DYM SnG's 
    Played 6
    Won 1
    Placed 3 (places 1-3 thereby winning a prize IE 50p)
    Lost 2

Finished evening by entering a standard 60p DYM SnG. Finished 3rd in this again winning a prize for the second time in my last 3 attempts at S&G's.

Variance £0.60p

NEW BR £3.20

• edited April 2014
    After the elation of the previous session of mine, I broke-even on Mothers Evening, before tonight became what was a total DISASTER! I played just four games 3x 30p DYM Turbo's and 1x 60p DYM (Standard 5min Blinds).

LOST every one of them (Placing 4th-6th) and had the unfortunate problem of runing into A-A when finally getting a decent hand late on and shoving with A-J. In another game got into a betting war and ended up all-in with J-Q only to find when the cards were turned over my OPPY had J-K! The board was a total non-event and OPPY wins with high-card Kings vs Queens!

OLD B/R £3.10
    NEW: £1.90 (oh dear, need to get on and win a few, down to just 6x 30p B/I's) 
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session TONIGHT WED 26th MARCH : Well Done in your result posted here. Is that your "very deep run in the main" result you have posted there?
    Posted by GaryLaud
    Yes it is Gary. Not bad, I reckon. I'm consistently cashing in either the main or the mini when I do both once a week. The trick now will be to hit a final table than a top 20 finish, so that I can take down a big cash and make everything better again!
  • edited April 2014
    Build a bankroll:- Well I've never really said so here is my target which i want to achieve by 30/4. Balance:- £2.60 (I want to double to just above £5 by either prizes in MTT or success on DYM MTT's:- to be occasionally getting 10 places either side of the bubble (am currently achieving 10 places outside bubble mark) S&G's:- To be regularly placing 3rd or better in DYM's. Once confident I am regularly achieving this, then I will move upto playing the normal S&G's which earns good payouts for 1st & 2nd. Cash Games: To have enough confidence in my game that I am succesful at building a chip stack, and only then, will I consider entering a cash game, probably start at 2p/4p bracket to start with. Some might encourage me to play these regularly - any tips for rookies playing these cash games? What do you guys think on these targets?
    Posted by GaryLaud
    All looks good to me Gary.

Just one thing- where you finish in a DYM is irrelevant as long it's top 3. I know you're trying to finish as high as you can as practice for standard sngs, but really you shouldn't play DYMs to come first. You play them purely to finish top half.

otherwise, you're going to make wrong decisions, when you think you need to push for 1st place, when in reality you should be taking the survival line.

If you want to practice for standard sngs- i think you need to build your bankroll up abit via the 'easier' dyms, and then start at the lowest buy-in sngs and just play them. The best form of practice is actually playing- just make sure it's financially comfortable to be able to learn and make mistakes i.e. go seriously low until you are consistently chalking up cashes on the sngs.

Good luck!

Anyway- to give your BR a potential shot in the arm- I've stuck you in the next Turbo Open for the best contribution on the thread of the week.

Note it's not tonight's (April 1st) it's next week's (April 8th).

GL, GL!
  • edited April 2014
    Sess 77 (3hr x6) -42.32  BR: 474.11 sess 78 (3x6) - 25.48 BR:  448.63 sess 79 (6hr x 6tables) BR: 496.69 Stopped the freefall last night with an extra long session that took me up to 5k rewards points, thats £100 cashback + a probable £50 from the leaderboard promo. I wont include these payments in my challenge balance but they have basically paid for a month of tournament buy ins. Played the 12k 10k BH the other night but didnt get much luck. In the very first hand of this cash session I 3b shoved the river with the nut flush vs a good player for 200bb when I failed to see that the board had paired, after an hour I was probably in the hole for £40 but kept my head straight and eventually turned a decent profit.
    Posted by jimb0d1
    Like your thinking here, Jim. Reinvesting your freebies to give you lots of chances of cashing big.
  • edited April 2014
    Bank Roll  6th March... £0.69 Bank Roll 29th March  £294.94 Mainly DYM's and occassional MTTs    
    Posted by JockBMW
    Is this a brag post, Pete? ;-)

I assume you binked an MTT cash for £294.25 (£294.94-£0.69) ??? ;-)
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session TONIGHT WED 26th MARCH : 100% think you should include this. Your gaining most of these points at cash and they are therefore contributing to your BR.  I would appreciate a PM as well on what your views are on my cash play and I will do the same. You are definatley more aggressive than me so some discussion would be nice. We havae bith moved up from 4nl and you have come a long way. Keep it up.
    Posted by CraigSG1
    Yes, I agree with Craig. I think you should include your cashbacks- it's all ultimately prfoti you've gained by playing on the sky poker tables, however you might have got it.

It will be good if you guys can cheerlead each other on and help each other's game out.

:-)
  • edited April 2014
    Look forward to seeing you at the tables Rich. My run kept on going last night finishing 2 tops tens including a take down of the 21,45 speed. +£135 to my roll last night, was a happy man. Aiming to break into the top 20 of the turbo for the first time tonight, have had 4 20-30 finishes this year including 21st last week ..
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session TONIGHT TUESDAY 1ST APRIL:
    Look forward to seeing you at the tables Rich. My run kept on going last night finishing 2 tops tens including a take down of the 21,45 speed. +£135 to my roll last night, was a happy man. Aiming to break into the top 20 of the turbo for the first time tonight, have had 4 20-30 finishes this year including 21st last week ..
    Posted by Matt237

N1 Matt. See you at the tables tonight then. Or should I say, see you at the table. The final table... ;-)
  • edited April 2014
    Im not sitting with a wsop reg!
  • edited April 2014
    Hi Rich!
    wtg on your WSOP seat! amazing!
    I've started an April challenge - To try to get 50pp at least 15 days and to make a profit at the end of the month.
    Day 1 +£1.88 and 51pp so doing ok :)
    I started a thread about it. GL building a bankroll tonight!
    Mrs D
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session TONIGHT TUESDAY 1ST APRIL:
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session TONIGHT TUESDAY 1ST APRIL : N1 Matt. See you at the tables tonight then. Or should I say, see you at the table. The final table... ;-)
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    Loving the optimism. If there is a final table i will make it's probably going to be the mini ;-)
  • edited April 2014
    Im not sitting with a wsop reg!
    Posted by Donttelmum
    You won't be Donttelmum. Or maybe you knew that already and you're giving me a rubdown?!
  • edited April 2014
    Hi Rich! wtg on your WSOP seat! amazing! I've started an April challenge - To try to get 50pp at least 15 days and to make a profit at the end of the month. Day 1 +£1.88 and 51pp so doing ok :) I started a thread about it. GL building a bankroll tonight! Mrs D
    Posted by mrsduck
    Hi Mrs. D,

Thanks for your kind message. Unfortunately, for me, it was an April Fool's joke started by those nasty boys of the forum. 

Still, quite funny though. I suppose...

Good to see you've started a bankroll challenge. Please keep me updated on this thread. Each week I give away a free seat to the following week's Turbo Open main event to whoever's made the best post contribution to the thread, so keep going and I'm sure you won't have to wait long ;-)

GL tonight!
  • edited April 2014
    Right- I'm signed up to the main and mini tonight- alias ricorford.

Hope to see you all there!

I'm going for a consectuive hat-trick of main event cashes. 28th then 19th tonight...?

Watch this sace.

Also doing a phonecall to the live show in the next ten minutes or so.

GL all!
  • edited April 2014
    Decent night for me - away from the Main and Mini this time though. Main -> 5 limps into my AA in BB - 8.5x raise folded none of them whatsoever and i ended up flopping a set into flush - Wasn't too happy. Placed 3rd in a freebuy and 7th in the 9,45 speed (The one i took down last night). I blame my mini performance down to the excitement of Man United actually doing quite well against Bayern. 
    +£14.60 night
  • edited April 2014
    Oh I really thought it was true!!
    Sorry! :(
  • edited April 2014
    10th profitable night in a row, results really coming now after getting out of the horrendous run bad spell and after tweaking one or two minor things in my game. Included another take down of the 19,35 Freebuy (I own that one lol), and another decent cash in the 21,45 GTD speed.
    +£22.05 night
  • edited April 2014
    10th profitable night in a row, results really coming now after getting out of the horrendous run bad spell and after tweaking one or two minor things in my game. Included another take down of the 19,35 Freebuy (I own that one lol), and another decent cash in the 21,45 GTD speed. +£22.05 night
    Posted by Matt237
    Are you the guy who shoved all in with j3 off? ;p
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session TONIGHT TUESDAY 1ST APRIL : Are you the guy who shoved all in with j3 off? ;p
    Posted by upaymenow
    Definitely not no :P
  • edited April 2014
    Bad night overall but alot of fun. I guess 10 days of straight profit had to end at some point. Progressed my cash game tonight which is a good thing, plan to work on it and grind alot more in the future. Small coverage on the TV aswell always nice flopping a set and knowing not to fold :-)

-£38.50 night
    +£174.45 overall

Don't really have any targets but thought i might aswell track some progress here from a specific starting BR, aswell as on a spreadsheet. 
  • edited April 2014
    Bad night overall but alot of fun. I guess 10 days of straight profit had to end at some point. Progressed my cash game tonight which is a good thing, plan to work on it and grind alot more in the future. Small coverage on the TV aswell always nice flopping a set and knowing not to fold :-) -£38.50 night +£174.45 overall Don't really have any targets but thought i might aswell track some progress here from a specific starting BR, aswell as on a spreadsheet. 
    Posted by Matt237
    Hi Matt,
    How detailed is your spreadsheet? I looked at starting one myself but didn't really put much effort or detail into it..
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session TONIGHT TUESDAY 1ST APRIL : Hi Matt, How detailed is your spreadsheet? I looked at starting one myself but didn't really put much effort or detail into it..
    Posted by GaryLaud
    Quite detailed, but then again i'm playing 5+ MTTs a night and throw in a couple of cash tables its alot to track
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session TONIGHT TUESDAY 1ST APRIL : Quite detailed, but then again i'm playing 5+ MTTs a night and throw in a couple of cash tables its alot to track
    Posted by Matt237
    Would you be interested in Sharing?
  • edited April 2014
    After the elation of the previous session of mine, I broke-even on Mothers Evening, before tonight became what was a total DISASTER! I played just four games 3x 30p DYM Turbo's and 1x 60p DYM (Standard 5min Blinds). LOST every one of them (Placing 4th-6th) and had the unfortunate problem of runing into A-A when finally getting a decent hand late on and shoving with A-J. In another game got into a betting war and ended up all-in with J-Q only to find when the cards were turned over my OPPY had J-K! The board was a total non-event and OPPY wins with high-card Kings vs Queens! OLD B/R £3.10 NEW: £1.90 (oh dear, need to get on and win a few, down to just 6x 30p B/I's) 
    Posted by GaryLaud

Last Monday, I was down to £1.90 after having pretty much a mare at the tables all that following a winning night where I had built my BR upto over £3. Played quite a few DYM's and have lost the majority of those that I have entered. 

I had such a brilliant record in those 30p DYM's and it's really dis-heartening to view a record which has seen  and a positive outcome I'm pretty gutted to report that I have reached the end of my B/R challenge.

Time for some period away from the tables, reflect, regroup, play a few F/R's and hopefully extract my revenge on the turbo open on Tuesday and justify the generous award of my free-seat from Mr Orford.
  • edited April 2014
    4 disastrous nights. Coolers, running into bad play, one questionable decision by myself. It's back to normal.

Roller debut was going really well - up until 23;20 when i was dealt AQs in the blind facing a button raise. Usually would be 3betting here but villain was extremely tight and raising out of a 15bb stack (reasonably short). Tempted to jam, fold equity was ok but not brilliant - called to see a cheap flop hoping to either flop nut flush draw or get away. Flopped top pair, checked down to river where i river top 2 pair. No draws came in so i thought i was good. Went big and he turned over a flopped set (333) - down to 5bb and never recovered. Strange tournament really; Mid way through with AQ on a board of 2 10 10 J 5 i went for a big river bluff and was actually value betting as the villain called me with A 9. Table full of maniacs came and gone, more came and that was it. Happy to last so long in the premium tournament on my first try but annoying exit and to last so long without getting any in return was depressing. Atleast it was 24 quid as opposed to 110 as i satellited.

Saturday and Friday both had similar themes - MTTs were horrible so ended up playing some cash again and profited off those tables. Starting to get a bit odd that my cash game is going well but now tournaments have dropped down - although i bubbled a few bounty hunters through no fault of my own getting it in good. Pesky folk those bounty chasers are when they hit!

So good work from last 2 weeks undone in 3 bad nights. Look forward to monday as per usual being part of the best team of the site for the DTDs. Back to bounty hunter main + mini events, suit me a bit more aswell. Hope for a good start to the week as per usual. Need that confidence back
  • edited April 2014
    Make that 5, but for different reasons.

Had severe net issues tonight, apparently due to the weather. Had about 30 minute period of interrupted play, which caused a problem in the main/rebuy (Which i was 4th at the time)/all the DTDs + the mini. I then tried to recover my session by connecting to one of those BT hotspots - (£6 for 24 hours what a joke!), and ended up playing about 5-10 minute stints and getting cut off for about 60 seconds. Didn't lose too much money as i satellited into the main and picked up a head but infuriating nonetheless, ruins momentum and end up losing a lot of chips - 12000 in the rebuy out of my 14,000 stack. Big Sigh.