You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The Build A Bankroll Thread

Comments

• edited April 2014
    Hi Rich, my br challenge is going well so far :) 450PP and have met my target 6 out of 7 days and up to £184.31 from £50.
    Very pleased so far! GL tonight! :)
  • edited April 2014
    Tonight went ok.

Early baths from Main/mini as usual, coolers all the same. Played a dym or 2 and made, plus i managed a decent cash off £2,20 in the 20;05 500 gtd Bounty Hunter.

Matt23704£19.05 + £12.09 Head Prizes11
    11 heads - not a bad performance from myself - the guy who was knocked out in 5th had 0 head prizes lol :-)

Weird tournament, final table bubble started at 22:50 and i was knocked out in 4th at 00:10. Very slow for a bounty hunter. Good fun and i'm up 25 quid. Can't complain
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session TONIGHT WED 26th MARCH:
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session TONIGHT WED 26th MARCH : Last Monday, I was down to £1.90 after having pretty much a mare at the tables all that following a winning night where I had built my BR upto over £3. Played quite a few DYM's and have lost the majority of those that I have entered.  I had such a brilliant record in those 30p DYM's and it's really dis-heartening to view a record which has seen  and a positive outcome I'm pretty gutted to report that I have reached the end of my B/R challenge. Time for some period away from the tables, reflect, regroup, play a few F/R's and hopefully extract my revenge on the turbo open on Tuesday and justify the generous award of my free-seat from Mr Orford.
    Posted by GaryLaud
    What an amazing game poker is eh? On Sunday/Monday I was feeling all down in the dumps after having a bad run in my DYM's and my BR really suffering as a result - However, I Regrouped, analysed some of my play and took part in a FR, coming close to cashing in it.

Played in the turbo open last night - Fantastic experience. I was around the 3000 chip-mark in the lower half of the field at break no1. During the next hour I had to get really busy and got my chips in on a few occasions and a few hefty raises with half decent hands kept my stack topped up enough. 

It got right to the bubble stage, and I ended up risking being the bubble-boy, with J-K. They held, when my OPPY had something like A-J and I ended up 2x pair Kings & 9s.

Two hands later the table paused, then breaktime - my heart was thumping - I looked at the game info from the menu 74 left, vs 73 bubble...Oh dear, one more person to go...still need to play survival poker after the break then..

A guy called Tom came and railed my table, and as we were chatting we spoke about the bubble - he'd checked the lobby and said we'd made it! I checked it and YES We had!

Pressure off, I got uber agressive the next hand and shoved twice, first time I flopped a flush and doubled through, the next time I couldn't help but shove my kings, but my luck ran out and was eliminated when they didn't hold

So I finished 69th and won £21.17! WELL CHUFFED!
  • edited April 2014
    Well Played Gary. 

Keep your disclipline and play nothing more than a £2.20 buyin. Drop to cheaper games if get down to £13 or so.

I have just returned from an excellent week in the Costa Del Sol with a few friends and so have had a bit of a break from poker but raring to go again. 

The aim of this diary was not really to chart my overall profit, but to see if I could improve my cash game - thats why I will not be inlcuding rewards or promo winnings in my balance  :)

March Review
    Start BR: £453.01 End BR: 496.69 +£43.68

March Goals: Hit 5000 reward points, make a profit of £100 from my cash poker

I managed to hit 5k points and also scored big in the promotions in March so I was very happy with the amount of volume I put in. However, overall I made less money than in February from more poker so I am a little dissapointed with my play. 

C-

March lessons: 

Play steady when first sit at the table
    Re-read the board and consider a fold vs overbets without the nuts

April Goals: Hit 3k reward points, make a profit of £100 from cash

• edited April 2014
    Hi all!

Will catch up on the thread posts in due course, but right now juggling the main and the mini events tonight.

Good luck all!
  • edited April 2014
    sess 80 (2hr x 6tables) - £26.73 BR: 469.96

Unlucky return to the tables. AA busted twice .... once all in 3 way preflop vs 76s and qq (quad queens) and once all in on the flop vs ak with tptk (trip Kings).

Played loose and on autopilot due to watching football. New rule: NO FOOTBALL + POKER TOGETHER, so if i start commenting on the match while im at your table, feel free to remind me to leave!
  • edited April 2014
    ^^

I'll go with that too. Football and poker don't mix, especially when your team gets the crucial goal only to chuck it all away in spectacular fashion - money on the poker table follows suit:(
  • edited April 2014
    I'm a sucker for watching the football at the same time as the poker- worse still I often them having playing both on the laptop at the same time- meaning lots of minimising and maximising windows every few seconds.

Not optimal!
  • edited April 2014
    I was watching football tonight - heartbreaking as a United fan at heart to concede straight after scoring but the better team won, can't complain overall. Lads done a fantastic job over the 2 legs.

I had one game going on the side tonight whilst watching the match - and didn't it go well!

This was the 6,45pm £750 GTD Bounty hunter (£1000 prize pool). I came 2nd in this 2 weeks ago so it is nice to go one further. I dominated from the start really, and as we got to the final 3 i was 7:1 on both of my opponents. Heads up was a grind but i felt i deserved it.

Matt237 has won the tournament and wins £134.30 and £56.41 Head Prizes, and was awarded 8 Poker Points.

Time to look forward to the rest of the week poker wise and Saturdays trip to Harrogate Town - Bit of a nothing game but our away days are always fantastic :-)
  • edited April 2014
    Well that was pretty yucky!

Main went halfway. Mini...? 195 runners

BigBluster021£23.80
    poker69022 
    RicOrford023

Bubble +1, which as Ryan Spittles helpfully pointed out (as he carried on to cash in the same game) is for all intents and purposes the bubble.

Good fun though! Thanks to tonight's railers!
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session TONIGHT WEDNESDAY APRIL 9TH:
    Well that was pretty yucky! Main went halfway. Mini...? 195 runners BigBluster 0 21 £23.80 poker69 0 22   RicOrford 0 23 Bubble +1, which as Ryan Spittles helpfully pointed out (as he carried on to cash in the same game) is for all intents and purposes the bubble. Good fun though! Thanks to tonight's railers!
    Posted by RICHORFORD

Awww Rich! ((hugs)) <-genuinely mean that! 
    not good coming just two places outside the money, rotten luck :(

Looking forward to tuning in tomorrow after 9pm as Im out early doors. 

• edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session TONIGHT TUESDAY 1ST APRIL:
    Hi Rich, my br challenge is going well so far :) 450PP and have met my target 6 out of 7 days and up to £184.31 from £50. Very pleased so far! GL tonight! :)
    Posted by mrsduck
    Hi Mrs D!

This is awesome news. That's a massive hike up from £50 in a short space of time.

Keep it up and keep disciplined. Don't blow it all in one crazy session or anything- always play at the right level if you can.

As a reward for good bankroll building, I'm giving you a free shot at next Tuesday's Turbo Open main event at 8. (Tuesday 15th April). Just look out for your name in  the tournament lobby just before the game starts.

Hopefully this will boost your BR from £184 to over £1000! Good luck!
  • edited April 2014
    sess 81 (3hr x 6tables) - £10.69 BR: 459.27

Dribbled away a bit of money playing tired... which is another one of my 'lifestyle leaks'. Time for bed!
  • edited April 2014
    Ul tonight Rich, I'm sure you remember it was me that delivered the final blow :)

Poor poor you, for what you're gonna have to endure tomorrow night from Ryan.
  • edited April 2014
    sess 82 (2hr x 6tables) +54.19 BR: 513.46

Rested and playing in silence I had a much better session with my full concentration on the tables. I got lucky in a pot when hit my flush after big action on the turn, but generally I knew where I was in most pots and picked up a fh in my penultimate hand to make this a very profitable session. 
  • edited April 2014
    Sess 82 (1hr x 6) -3.41
  • edited April 2014
    Not good MTT wise, sats just about worked, i got in for £32.40 so i saved 60p! Main/Mini just didn't go well from the start, despite myself picking up 1 head in main and 2 in mini - i was out fairly early in both. Another good night on the cash tables however - maybe i should try grinding cash a bit more often. Only just learning though and playing multiple tables whilst there is a mastercash hour on live shows. All in all a negative night but good fun and a great show to go with it. Nice to see my cash game progressing
  • edited April 2014
    So,
    GaryLaud is back - yes I had a major downturn in fortunes recently (last weekend) but a couple of positives to look back on. Played a good freeroll on Tuesday afternoon in which I ran quite well and restored confidence, and then took part in Turbo Tuesday and "cashed" in it, finishing 69th and earning a nice £21.17.

Put these earnings to use over the last couple of evenings - decided to stay away from my DYM's for now and have been having a go at the 2p/4p cash tables. Now, I was warned to expect losses in my early cash life and that is exactly what has occured.

Played like a monkey on Monday night however, the most significant loss was £1.13 when I went crazy on my AA's and failed to spot the fact that three spades came on the flop, and you can guess the rest! Overall result finished -£1.87

TONIGHT
    Tonight was a MUCH better afair, again despite another 50p loss in my 2nd hour, I finished with a narrow 22p loss in my first hour. I'm playing pretty good and feeling generally good and are getting good value from the higher pairs. However am iSTILL having problems cracking hands like AJ, KT, KQ, which was where the bulk of my Big losses have resulted from. 

HOUR 1:-
    BANSTEAD - 2p/4p Cash Table
    VARIANCE: -£0.24p

HOUR 2:-
    NUNEATON - 2p/4p Cash Table
    VARIANCE: -£0.50p

BR:- £18.30
  • edited April 2014
    Sess 84 (2hr x 6) 510.05 + £77.00 = 587.05

No TV and empty house = crushing    :)

Overall bankroll is now at highest since I made a major withdrawal to cover life expenses 15 months ago. Lots of spare time over the next 4 or 5 days so hoping to get to 2k points by the end of next week. Feeling goo000oood.

• edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session TONIGHT TUESDAY 1ST APRIL:
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session TONIGHT TUESDAY 1ST APRIL : Hi Mrs D! This is awesome news. That's a massive hike up from £50 in a short space of time. Keep it up and keep disciplined. Don't blow it all in one crazy session or anything- always play at the right level if you can. As a reward for good bankroll building, I'm giving you a free shot at next Tuesday's Turbo Open main event at 8.  (Tuesday 15th April). Just look out for your name in  the tournament lobby just before the game starts. Hopefully this will boost your BR from £184 to over £1000! Good luck!
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    Hi Rich Thank you so much for your kind offer :), but I always have to work Tuesday evenings. Please give my seat to someone else...unless you can pop me into a tournie tmw (sat) night?
    Thanks again :) Mrs D
  • edited April 2014
    Sess 85 (3hr x 6) - £42.57 = 544.48

Back down to earth again. Had big pocket pairs a lot but didnt hold up. Got a bit fancy towards the end and cost myself 20 quid bluffing a station twice and making a big 4b bluff  to go hu with a weaker player but then didnt flop well....still a profit for the day of 35 quid so ill take that.
  • edited April 2014
    FRI 11th APR
    My standard of poker is clearly improving and I'm feeling alot more confident. 

It was good to play on the same table with a member who has asked tough, but fair questions when reviewing my hands, so I was kind of determined to run well, especially to prove to him that despite my inexperience, in the long run, Im actually doing really rather well! Another player on my table was very tough to play against, and was repeatedly shoving ALL IN for amounts well over £5, enforcing a-lot of fold's all around as people didn't want to risk their stacks!

Played 2p/4p cash for just an hr and finished the table "Nuneaton" with a small gain of £0.21p! Small by most people's standards, but as far as I'm concerned, any gain is very positive. Earlier I ran really well and finished 13th from over 200 runner's in the £20 Gtd F/R at Mid-Day and earned myself a prize of 26p, which meant this was my second cash in a row from an MTT! 

MTT
    £20 Gtd F/R (12:00 Start)
    Runners 241
    Finished 13th!
    Prize Bubble 26th
    Prize Earned: £0.26p

HOUR 1 only:- 21:45-22:45
    BANSTEAD - 2p/4p Cash Table
    VARIANCE: +£0.21p

NEW BR NOW : £18.77
  • edited April 2014
    Nuneaton - Yuck. Nice work though Gary, might join you on those tables sometime :-).
    No play tonight because of catching up on sleep missed.
    No play tomorrow because Leamington are away at Harrogate, and the wetherspoons there has cheap beer. I don't play poker well after multiple drinks so i'll save myself for the roller on sunday :-)
  • edited April 2014
    Sess 86 (3hr x 6) +£14.65 = 559.33

Swapped some brief notes with CraigSG1 then ended up on his left or right over 4 tables! As he is a solid player at this level it kept me in check and I only went into fancy-play-syndrome for 1 or 2 hands.

Lost £20 in one pot with tptk - stationing 3 streets against a player who my notes say 'Never bluffs'....sigh...

Its these nonsensical and inexplicable hands that have held me back in this challenge. The player donked and I actually opened his notes.....decided it was best to flat and fold to turn action.... however, then I completely ignored all logic and reraised. On the turn, my head said FOLD, I clicked call. Blank river and facing shove for less than half pot but still 30+ bb and still absolutely convinced that I am behind I click call. Useless!!!!
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session TONIGHT WEDNESDAY APRIL 9TH:
    Sess 86 (3hr x 6) +£14.65 = 559.33 Swapped some brief notes with CraigSG1 then ended up on his left or right over 4 tables! As he is a solid player at this level it kept me in check and I only went into fancy-play-syndrome for 1 or 2 hands. Lost £20 in one pot with tptk - stationing 3 streets against a player who my notes say 'Never bluffs'....sigh... Its these nonsensical and inexplicable hands that have held me back in this challenge. The player donked and I actually opened his notes.....decided it was best to flat and fold to turn action.... however, then I completely ignored all logic and reraised. On the turn, my head said FOLD, I clicked call. Blank river and facing shove for less than half pot but still 30+ bb and still absolutely convinced that I am behind I click call. Useless!!!!
    Posted by jimb0d1
    Hey Jim,
    Despite your comments and playing a hand where you regretted your actions after (I would say you got caught up in the moment?) the figures speak for themselves, you still ended the session UP, so I wlnd't dwell on it, as your BR moved in the right direction, which I think is the overall aim isn't it?
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session TONIGHT WEDNESDAY APRIL 9TH : Hey Jim, Despite your comments and playing a hand where you regretted your actions after (I would say you got caught up in the moment?) the figures speak for themselves, you still ended the session UP, so I wlnd't dwell on it, as your BR moved in the right direction, which I think is the overall aim isn't it?
    Posted by GaryLaud
    I know from your posts your relatively new to the game but jimbod is quite correct to be critical of the hand despite being in profit from the session.

the game revolves around maximising winnings and minimising losses. the hand he wrote about where he lost £20 he may have been able to play it very different and even from his notes he described fold earlyon in the hand thus not wasting a full stack. he could well have got away from it losing 5 quid or less. this one hand virtually doubles the sessions profit. if theres other similar hands like that in one session where he may have gottan away from the situation for cheaper than he did then it soon builds up. so what was a £15 winning session could easily have been 30, 40 or even 50 quid in profit for the session.

jimbod knows the mistake and its quite important to identify them yourself and be very critical of your own play in order to move forward. its even works like this for hands you win. even if you scoop a large pot, its more than possible you butchered it completely and got lucky. these hands we forget about easily because this one time it went our way, but over time maybe playing this way will cost us more.

sorry for referencing you so much jimbod, just trying to highlight the situation as a whole.
  • edited April 2014
    Nee bother TINTIN. Indeed, +3.5 buyins is ssooo000ooo much better than 1.5! Dont worry though Gary, I sometimes go a bit bananas at the table following a hand like that but once I stand up I dont dwell on it too long.

The trouble with correcting my mistake is that I KNEW I was behind and just went action crazy. I need to trust my reads and notes more. Most times in a tournament I can keep my discipline but am continuing to struggle in cash.... once I see that pot swell I want to win EVERY hand over 20bbs   :)

I think some of the regs have picked up on this now and am getting a few light calls, but not enough to make up for spewing off £20 with top pair. 

Anyway,

Sess 87 (3hr x 6) +£47.65  = 606.98

What pleased me most in this session was that on two or three of the tables I ddint have to dip below starting stack at all. Lost a big pot in a cooler in one of the last hands played but a good profit.

Football break now!

I will not play poker while watching the match. I will not play poker while watching the match. I will not play poker while watching the match. I will not play poker while watching the match. I will not play poker while watching the match. I will not play poker while watching the match. I will not play poker while watching the match......

• edited April 2014
    2x 1hr Sessions, both at same table!

First session, played again like a monkey and lost a big amount - I MUST stop going nutts myself over hands like AJ, AT which I am finding are marginal and difficult to obtain value from - this I think will come from XP. 

Hour 1
    Table: Rockingham (2p/4p)
    Variance: -£0.77p

Hour 2
    Table: Rockingham (2p/4p)
    Variance:  +£0.32p (BI was £2.20)

NEW BR £18.32

Hour two was alot better - Felt I played very disciplined and only let myself get involved in either cheap hands where I as in the SB and had little calls ahead meaning I only had to cover the BB for 2p, or when I was on a premium hand. I got very brave in mixing it up when I had pocket kings, flopping a set, and then ended up with the whole-lot of my stack in the middle. won HUGE when the river resulted in a FH. Pot: £3.14

• edited April 2014
    Sess 88 (4hr x 6) -£26.66  = 580.32

OK OK...I played all through the football...........and lost. bah!

One hand kind of derailed me midway through the session:

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceonthemoon Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £10.52 d Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £11.53   Your hole cards Q Q       Monty71 Fold     mRaise  £0.30 £0.45 £14.86 CraigSG1 Raise  £1.10 £1.55 £11.88 jimb0d1 Call  £1.10 £2.65 £22.44 onthemoon Fold     d Call  £1.00 £3.65 £10.53 mCall  £0.80 £4.45 £14.06 Flop    3 9 8       d Check     mBet  £2.23 £6.68 £11.83 CraigSG1 Fold     jimb0d1 Call  £2.23 £8.91 £20.21 d All-in  £10.53 £19.44 £0.00 mAll-in  £11.83 £31.27 £0.00 jimb0d1 Call  £11.83 £43.10 £8.38 d Show 8 7    mShow 9 8    jimb0d1 Show Q Q    Turn    K       River    2       mWin Two Pairs, 9s and 8s £41.70  £41.70

Looking back I don't think this was such a mistake as had seen these players get a the lot in light before (tpbadk light).
  • edited April 2014
    Sess 89 (2hr x 6) +39.21  = 619.53

Stopping for football....and I mean it! Really!

I think Man City might get an early goal on the break then close the game down but if Liverpool score early this could be a cracker!