You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The Build A Bankroll Thread

Comments

• edited April 2014
    Well that was a great game!

Got on Liverpool at 1-0 and also backed the red card so added a little to my sky balance    :)

I played the 4k freeroll during the match....naughty....but picked up a small cash.
  • edited April 2014
    Clattenburg bottled yet another big game. Needs to be demoted next week. Have plans to satellite into the Roller for my 2nd ever time playing it again. :-)
  • edited April 2014
    I agree. Clattenburg missed 1 pen (on Dzeko), bottled the decision on the first Suarez dive, bottled a decision on the Kompany/Suarez challenge AND missed the handball by Skrtel. He got the red right though.

Sess 90 (1hr x 6) +14.74  = 634.27
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session TONIGHT WEDNESDAY APRIL 9TH:
    2x 1hr Sessions, both at same table! First session, played again like a monkey and lost a big amount - I MUST stop going nutts myself over hands like AJ, AT which I am finding are marginal and difficult to obtain value from - this I think will come from XP.  Hour 1 Table: Rockingham (2p/4p) Variance: -£0.77p Hour 2 Table: Rockingham (2p/4p) Variance:  +£0.32p (BI was £2.20) NEW BR £18.32 Hour two was alot better - Felt I played very disciplined and only let myself get involved in either cheap hands where I as in the SB and had little calls ahead meaning I only had to cover the BB for 2p, or when I was on a premium hand. I got very brave in mixing it up when I had pocket kings, flopping a set, and then ended up with the whole-lot of my stack in the middle. won HUGE when the river resulted in a FH. Pot: £3.14  
    Posted by GaryLaud

Was out for palm sunday this morning (Yes I'm the bell-ringing guy mentioned in thursday's live show and was ringing this morning) and missed all the days 10pt FR's. Played the IPAD FR and had a poor result in this (Won't go into detail, am sure some member's would really jump on my back if I did tell the proper result!) 

Managed a quicky sneaky 30mins of 2p/4p just before dinner and haven't had chance to do anymore tonight.

TABLE: Chard (2p/4p Cash)
    Variance: +£0.13

BR: £18.45

• edited April 2014
    I feel sick. Absolutely sick.

I finished 19th in a roller sat with 16 GTD - Guy hit a 1 outer on the river (JJ vs AJ - 1 Ace folded and 1 Ace not clean as 3 club flop gave me flush draw) ... (wouldve taken cash)

I finished 12th in the mini - Chip leader for well over 2 hours - I had J10 on a 10 4 7 board and someone shoved 9 7 into me. Hit running 8 6 for a straight. Pot wouldve propelled me to chip lead.

I bubbled the bubble of 3k BH - After spinning up from 30 chips early on - Lost KK vs AQ.

But then again this happened for 12 quid:

Matt23760001£25,000 UKOPS 1
    Not really sure to make of tonight. Been so unlucky and should have cashed for alot more money in the mini but after binking a UKOPS1 seat i'm not sure i care that much now. 

Back to back 12th places in mini roller. STILL NO TOP 10 MAIN/MINI FINISH
  • edited April 2014
    Hi Rich,
    Still going good in my challenge :D now at £303.05 and 1422PP. Have met my challenge 12 of 14 days too :)
    As I said before, I can rarely play evenings because of work so please give my free seat to someone else, unless you can credit me a tournament token :) as I don't want it to go to waste!
    Good luck at the tables!
    Ducky
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session TONIGHT WEDNESDAY APRIL 9TH:
    I need to trust my reads and notes more. Most times in a tournament I can keep my discipline but am continuing to struggle in cash.... once I see that pot swell I want to win EVERY hand over 20bbs   :) I think some of the regs have picked up on this now and am getting a few light calls, but not enough to make up for spewing off £20 with top pair.
    Posted by jimb0d1
    It's nice to read that I'm not the only one that is struggling to learn to let the bigger pots go... my bankroll would be so much healthier if I could just accept a 10 to 20BB loss in a hand where I flopped badly, rather than turning it into a 40-60BB loss by thinking I can bluff the river... especially when half my opponents at NL10 will call down any pair on any board :/

I have also learned to now play you when the footy is on... I might hold my own that way!

Good luck continuing to grow the bankroll (as long as it isn't more of my money!!!)
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Build A Bankroll 2014: next session TONIGHT WEDNESDAY APRIL 9TH:
    BUILD A BANKROLL! Here’s my plan. I’m going to play, once a week to start with, usually midweek and I’m going to begin on the cash tables.   I’m going to start with a £100 of my own money on  two 5p/10p tables and when (please note I’m not entertaining the word ‘if’) I hit £200 I’ll move up to 10p/20p.
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    Maybe I've missed this part of the thread, but has the NL10 bankroll plan been completely abandoned for Main/Mini action?

With the wealth of NL10 bankroll diaries at the moment I'd say it's the fashionable thing to be doing... and although Tikay may disagree should he pop by this thread, I'd imagine that all your time on Sky Poker and discussion of hands with some top players must make you far better equipped than most of us that are trying to grow from micro NL10 to low stakes NL20.
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Build A Bankroll 2014: next session TONIGHT WEDNESDAY APRIL 9TH : Maybe I've missed this part of the thread, but has the NL10 bankroll plan been completely abandoned for Main/Mini action? With the wealth of NL10 bankroll diaries at the moment I'd say it's the fashionable thing to be doing... and although Tikay may disagree should he pop by this thread, I'd imagine that all your time on Sky Poker and discussion of hands with some top players must make you far better equipped than most of us that are trying to grow from micro NL10 to low stakes NL20.
    Posted by shakinaces
    Hi Shakin, you make a fair point. I seem to have abandoned the idea of a slow and steady grind on NL10 for the get-rich-quick (or spend-money-quick) tactic of playing main and mini events.

The trouble is- due to being a freelancer and having a family- I find the time I can set aside to play poker to be limited. I generally play one evening a week, although obviously I'd love to play more, all other things permitting.

Therefore my quandary is, do I spend those few hours a week playing at the micro tables? Or do I take shots at the cheap 8pm main events knowing that I'm capable of final-tabling them on my day and in the meantime scraping the cash enough times to cover the buy-ins?

I know what the real answer is. Micro-limits obv. The alternative is DYMs. I might try and find a daytime soon away from the heady glamour of the 8pm main event and the head-turning big prizes. This might give me a chance to play at a more realistic level and manage my expectations.

Thanks for the reality check.

If I lose loads of money at the micros though, I'm blaming you. ;-)
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session TONIGHT WEDNESDAY APRIL 9TH : Hi Shakin, you make a fair point. I seem to have abandoned the idea of a slow and steady grind on NL10 for the get-rich-quick (or spend-money-quick) tactic of playing main and mini events. The trouble is- due to being a freelancer and having a family- I find the time I can set aside to play poker to be limited. I generally play one evening a week, although obviou sl y I'd love to play more, all other things permitting. Therefore my quandary is, do I spend those few hours a week playing at the micro tables? Or do I take shots at the cheap 8pm main events knowing that I'm capable of final-tabling them on my day and in the meantime scraping the cash enough times to cover the buy-ins? I know what the real answer is. Micro-limits obv. The alternative is DYMs. I might try and find a daytime soon away from the heady glamour of the 8pm main event and the head -turning big prizes. This might give me a chance to play at a more realistic level and manage my expectatio ns. Thanks for the re ality check. If I lose loads of money at the mic ros though, I'm blaming you. ;-)
    Posted by RICHORFORD

What would be awesome if when you do decide to come and play cash, if us rookies could play against you on the mega-micro tables of 2p/4p level! lol

• edited April 2014
    I must say Rich after railing alot of your latest tournies you definitely have the game to build a BR from playing the MTTs, just often lose that one flip/cooler type situation that would get you going into the late stages/past the bubble
  • edited April 2014
    Bad night MTT wise.. decent profit at cash tables again and was nice sharing a few with Mr Jimb0d. BR taken a real hit lately but still up £100 on starting ... So no major concerns yet. Be nice to run well for a change though! 

• edited April 2014
    ses 91 -36.21 2hrs
    92 +9.34 3hrs
    93 +4.29 1 hr
    94 -43.83 1 hr    567.86
    95 - 10.25 2hr
    96 -2.39  3hr     555.22

Results are not going well at the moment, and though I dont feel I am making a ton of mistakes I am feeling fairly disheartened that my cash poker game clearly isnt improving as quickly as I had hoped. With a few days off from work I had been really looking forward to putting in a lot of volume and moving on in this challenge. Instead, after 10 hours played in the last 2 days I have booked a loss. Bah!

Im beginning to develop a tighter style. I really do need to stop tangling with the other regs unnecessarily and learn how to lay down marginal hands to shortstacks/Loose passives, then my winrate will go through the roof!

On the plus side, I am well over 2k points and £60 in profit for the month, so well on target to meet my monthly goals.

Outside of online poker, I am going to see 'Need for Speed' at the cinema with my gf tomorrow. I would prefer 'The Raid 2' but gf and subtitled Indonesian martial arts films don't mix! I have also agreed to go and try some live poker at Aspers in the toon with one of my mates next month. I am a little apprehensive at buying in for a 3 figure sum but I have lost £100 in one night at nl10 before so hey ho....

• edited April 2014
    Enjoyable night. Much better when the show involves your favourite presenter + analyst. ;-)

Good night on the tables too - Sick beats in the main/mini but only lost £6 due to satelliting into main for £1.80 and taking 1 head in the mini. I final tabled the 21;45 Speed RB like i often do, finishing 5th for a healthy £26.61. Also played some cash during the cash hour - and made a small profit. Really feel my cash game is developing well - recieved so valuable advice from Ross on a hand i sent in aswell. Happy days

Good advert for TPT, 3/6 on the Final table :-)
    sonnyp4440001£103.17wiltonowl02£63.71ZOED03£39.46GuyL204£31.86Matt23705£26.61johnnyd11706£22.44
    +£28.90 Today
    +£146.84 Overall
  • edited April 2014
    I've also got a little diary going along with quite a few other nl10 regs. I am up so far but taking my far share of yoyo's. I find it really frustrating when i just cant seem to get past and stabalize a certain mark, in my case its the £300 mark after my deposit of £100 some two weeks or so agoish. Ive got past it once but then back down to mid £200's. I think it might be psychological in some aspects as i seem to play looser when i near the goal in order to surpass it, only to go a bit too loose and donk away £10-20 needlessly! I also think fwiw abc is the way despite my many somewhat creative attempts at moves. Although it easy to preach it, its not always as easy to practice it:)
  • edited April 2014
    The trouble is- due to being a freelancer and having a family- I find the time I can set aside to play poker to be limited. I generally play one evening a week, although obviou sl y I'd love to play more, all other things permitting.
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    Hi Rich,

Thanks for the response - I didn't realise how little poker you were able to squeeze in and, to be honest, I think most people (including me) would probably take the 'get rich quick' route if only playing one session a week... given the slower way a roll can grow playing micro cash, you'd be stuck down there for a long time unless you started with a massive heater.

So completely ignore my previous post and go 'do a scotty77' and FT the main and mini!!
  • edited April 2014
    ses 91 -36.21 2hrs 92 +9.34 3hrs 93 +4.29 1 hr 94 -43.83 1 hr    567.86 95 - 10.25 2hr 96 -2.39  3hr     555.22 Results are not going well at the moment, and though I dont feel I am making a ton of mistakes I am feeling fairly disheartened that my cash poker game clearly isnt improving as quickly as I had hoped. With a few days off from work I had been really looking forward to putting in a lot of volume and moving on in this challenge. Instead, after 10 hours played in the last 2 days I have booked a loss. Bah! Im beginning to develop a tighter style. I really do need to stop tangling with the other regs unnecessarily and learn how to lay down marginal hands to shortstacks/Loose passives, then my winrate will go through the roof! On the plus side, I am well over 2k points and £60 in profit for the month, so well on target to meet my monthly goals. Outside of online poker, I am going to see 'Need for Speed' at the cinema with my gf tomorrow. I would prefer 'The Raid 2' but gf and subtitled Indonesian martial arts films don't mix! I have also agreed to go and try some live poker at Aspers in the toon with one of my mates next month. I am a little apprehensive at buying in for a 3 figure sum but I have lost £100 in one night at nl10 before so hey ho....
    Posted by jimb0d1

Mate, stop playing 3 bet pots OOP!! :) and remember WHO you are 3 betting. Good luck. 

• edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session TONIGHT WEDNESDAY APRIL 9TH : Was out for palm sunday this morning (Yes I'm the bell-ringing guy mentioned in thursday's live show and was ringing this morning) and missed all the days 10pt FR's. Played the IPAD FR and had a poor result in this (Won't go into detail, am sure some member's would really jump on my back if I did tell the proper result!)  Managed a quicky sneaky 30mins of 2p/4p just before dinner and haven't had chance to do anymore tonight. TABLE: Chard (2p/4p Cash) Variance: +£0.13 BR: £18.45
    Posted by GaryLaud

"BOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM!!!!!!"
    Is that the sound of my banroll exploding? One would think so as my play during Monday and Tuesday was absolutely SHOCKING and as a result, deservedly so, My Bankroll has lost nearly a quarter of it's value - I've probably got the smallest bankroll on this thread, thus/therefore, any losses are going to be higher in percentage than most.

Old BR £18.45
    Current BR £13.83 (At time of writing)
    BR Decline: -£4.62

• edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session TONIGHT WEDNESDAY APRIL 9TH : "BOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM!!!!!!" Is that the sound of my banroll exploding? One would think so as my play during Monday and Tuesday was absolutely SHOCKING and as a result, deservedly so, My Bankroll has lost nearly a quarter of it's value - I've probably got the smallest bankroll on this thread, thus/therefore, any losses are going to be higher in percentage than most. Old BR £18.45 Current BR £13.83 (At time of writing) BR Decline: -£4.62
    Posted by GaryLaud
    You're better off playing £1 DYMs and tournaments when your bankroll is so low. You'll go bust a lot quicker if you keep playing cash even if you buy in for the minimum.
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session TONIGHT WEDNESDAY APRIL 9TH : You're better off playing £1 DYMs and tournaments when your bankroll is so low. You'll go bust a lot quicker if you keep playing cash even if you buy in for the minimum.
    Posted by tom_mull

Yes exactly! 
    I think I've probably been quite eager to hit the cash tables because of what I've read on threads lie this where it seems a large percentage of people were playing cash and being very succesful at it - whence I first began to play the cash, my confidence in my ability to play the DYM's was hurt because I'd virtually gone bust playing them in my last BR challenge before my Big T/Tuesday win - I KNOW in my mind, that I AM a pretty decent poker player who tend's to do well in a MTT format event and also are good at S&G's. 

I've played a few DYM's since last night and are doing really well from these at present - LONG may it continue. 

What I want to know is, what would be an ideal MTT to play in where there is an average chance of cashing for a small-medium amount (Perhaps the FR's or I know MrsDuck likes those BH even'ts) - are there any MTT's which offer a small buy-in that people could recommend?

I Am aware of the Deep-Stack MTT's on offer - however, I don't think they would be much help in a BR challenge as they seem to be quite a marathon, but on the flipside feel they would offer alot of practice.
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session TONIGHT WEDNESDAY APRIL 9TH : Yes exactly!  I think I've probably been quite eager to hit the cash tables because of what I've read on threads lie this where it seems a large percentage of people were playing cash and being very succesful at it - whence I first began to play the cash, my confidence in my ability to play the DYM's was hurt because I'd virtually gone bust playing them in my last BR challenge before my Big T/Tuesday win - I KNOW in my mind, that I AM a pretty decent poker player who tend's to do well in a MTT format event and also are good at S&G's.  I've played a few DYM's since last night and are doing really well from these at present - LONG may it continue.  What I want to know is, what would be an ideal MTT to play in where there is an average chance of cashing for a small-medium amount (Perhaps the FR's or I know MrsDuck likes those BH even'ts) - are there any MTT's which offer a small buy-in that people could recommend? I Am aware of the Deep-Stack MTT's on offer - however, I don't think they would be much help in a BR challenge as they seem to be quite a marathon, but on the flipside feel they would offer alot of practice.
    Posted by GaryLaud

Bounty Hunter's would be good for you because you don't have to cash to make your money back and also they don't take as long as deep stack tournaments. There's a £500 BH at 20:05 for £2.20 which would be ideal for you.

• edited April 2014
    So, I'm going back to basics!

Stuck £100 down and now grinding the £5 DYM SNGs as we speak.

Been playing since 4pm. Not the greatest of starts  PLAYED 5 WON 1 LOST 4

although I would say, I lost one on a 2 outer KKs v 44s with just the river to come :-(

Way too soon to tell if I've lost it at DYMs yet! Too small a sample size. Also, I'm a bit rusty at them. used to be pretty handy, once chalking up 16 cashes in a row. 

I usually finish top 3 or 4 so I'll keep going and hope form is temporary, semi-class is permanent!
  • edited April 2014
    2 steady nights really with a £5 loss over the 2 of them. Been playing some DYMs again and i'm 5/6 cashes which balanced last nights tournament entries. I opted not to play tonights main because of some silly reasons which i won't go into. Very much looking forward to UKOPS however, having satellited into the main tomorrow for 12 quid. If there was ever a time to have my first top 10 main/mini finish it would be in tomorrow nights main! Run good all
  • edited April 2014
    Also Gary - i sent you a message regarding some starter tournament points, hope you find it useful
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: The Build A Bankroll Thread:
    Also Gary - i sent you a message regarding some starter tournament points, hope you find it useful
    Posted by Matt237

Hi Matt,
    Yes I did get your message, but been on & off lately - Spending LOADS of quality family time so not really much oppo for poker right now.

Managed just ONE DYM last night, and I cashed, which means I'm now 4/4 in recent days - my BR has climbed by £1.60, but still a little embarrased to say where It is now compared to like a week ago! :'(

• edited April 2014
    97 +4.29 1 hr
    98 -1837 1hr
    99 -8.24 2hr
    100 -13.43 3hrs  
    101 -10.56   
    102 +4.56
    103 -8.59 
    104 +7.43
    105 - 10.66
    105 +25.67 3hrs

BR= 527.32

Well after 3 months, and approx 250 hours of poker I have £27.32 to show for it! Of course, the rakeback has been quite good so breakeven from the games isnt a complete disaster. In ther last week I have lost around £100 mostly from cash and I feel a bit disheartened but am going to do a bit of reading and see if I can refine my style a little. 

Its taking me a long time to eradicate simple leaks and its frustrating. Reading back hand histories I can see every mistake that I make so easily but I am lazy ingame.

• edited April 2014
    Awesome night. I didn't quite make the cash in the Main tonight but i took a head worth £65, and i satellited in for £12 so that's successful, although i feel a bit down about my exit - Racing but flopped huge and missed all my outs. 2 heads in mini but lost a massive 3 way all in pot with the best hand pre flop. Micro went wrong from the start, bit of a waste that one. Played 6 DYMs and won 5/6, so i called it a day up £85 on the night.

+£84.70 Night
    +£190.21 Overall
  • edited April 2014
    Built up a decent stack midstages in UKOPS mini last night and tonight.

Got my chips in with nut FD and a pair over a pot flop raise with tpqk. 4b shoved 99 over an utg limp-3b with ato and failed to hold. Perhaps I was a bit too eager to get my chips in but both opponents were quite deep and I believe will/should fold a lot of the time.

106 -£7.65  Coolered when got AA in vs QQ on low flop for £20 quid to runner runner flush. Had my share of these hands recently. bah!
  • edited April 2014
    19/4
    DYM's
    Pld: 2
    Cash: 2
    Fails: 0

CASH 2p/4p
    30min Session, Finished 16p Profit.
    BR: Gained £0.76p+

20/4
    After clawing back a percentage of my recent losses, I treated myself to a £2.30 B/Hunter. Timed it wrong though as I was forced away from the table for some time and didn't recover much of the stack I lost while away.

Poor DYM Session too.
    DYM;- Pld: 4, Cash: 1, Fail: 3
    BR: -£1.60 (loss, not i/c Bhunter)

21/4
    Played 1 DYM, Cashed. 4hrs 2p/4p Cash finished with a loss, most attributed to losing a pot shortly before the finsh. MUCH happier with overal play (Inc Cash)

Day's BR Movement: -£0.04p (Micro loss)
  • edited April 2014
    Very happy to see the back of UKOPS. A living nightmare!