You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The Build A Bankroll Thread

Comments

• edited April 2014
    After the luckbox 320-1 shot on the footy on Saturday I luckboxed my way into UKOPS main 4 yesterday via a £3 lottery. Cashed for approx. £120 but couldn't believe I didn't take a single bounty:(
    However, a mixture of footie and poker profits meant a nice addition of about £500 to the bankroll over the weekend - Happy Easter!
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: The Build A Bankroll Thread:
    So, I'm going back to basics! Stuck £100 down and now grinding the £5 DYM SNGs as we speak. Been playing since 4pm. Not the greatest of starts  PLAYED 5 WON 1 LOST 4 although I would say, I lost one on a 2 outer KKs v 44s with just the river to come :-( Way too soon to tell if I've lost it at DYMs yet! Too small a sample size. Also, I'm a bit rusty at them. used to be pretty handy, once chalking up 16 cashes in a row.  I usually finish top 3 or 4 so I'll keep going and hope form is temporary, semi-detached is permanent!
    Posted by RicOrford
    FYP
  • edited April 2014
    19/4 DYM's Pld: 2 Cash: 2 Fails: 0 CASH 2p/4p 30min Session, Finished 16p Profit. BR: Gained £0.76p+ 20/4 After clawing back a percentage of my recent losses, I treated myself to a £2.30 B/Hunter. Timed it wrong though as I was forced away from the table for some time and didn't recover much of the stack I lost while away. Poor DYM Session too. DYM;- Pld: 4, Cash: 1, Fail: 3 BR : -£1.60 (loss, not i/c Bhunter) 21/4 Played 1 DYM, Cashed. 4hrs 2p/4p Cash finished with a loss, most attributed to losing a pot shortly before the finsh. MUCH happier with overal play (Inc Cash) Day's BR Movement: -£0.04p (Micro loss)
    Posted by GaryLaud

22/4
    Played 4 DYM's Cashed 2. 
    BR Movement -0.30p

23/4
    2x Sessions 2p/4p Cash Tables (Feinton) Played reallty good on these, good social table too
    BR Movemnt +£1.27

24/4
    2p/4p Cash Table Banstead 
    BR Movement +£2.83! 
    The majority of THIS profit arose from a monster hand, where i was dealt 10's. The flop also includeed a Ten and then the firework's REALLY began - bets flying in from all over the place. I was brave enough to call the bets and all three of us who saw the flop ended up ALL-IN with one player over-stacked and getting money back - Turn was a dead-card but the river was a 9 which paired the board and I ended up with a full house, and over £6 was flying my way! By MILES the biggest pot I have ever won (Monetary wise) since I joined sky poker. 

25/4
    Played 2x DYM's LOST BOTH!, I seemed to have begun a losing -streak since my BIG win, and have not finished a SINGLE cash table or DYM in profit SINCE!
    BR MVMNT: -£1.78 (inc DYM's)

26/4
    Quite WHY I decided to play tonight, I really don't know - probably because I love poker so much and missed playing, having been in London all day? Anyway, I played and had a really poor session, losing a sequence of big pots, on a table I found it difficult to get any sort of hand through with people over-betting what I percieve to be High-Cards, Pairs and Two Pairs - Although my hands didn't get past two Pair most of the time, apart from ONCE, when a player bet MASSIVE, and I decided, after a long think to fold my hand - luckily I hadn't contributed too much but still quite a big loss - I only folded because I could "Smell a rat" and had a sneaky suspicion that the guy had a F/Hse! 

BR: -£0.76
  • edited April 2014
    I am NOT going into detail to save myself due ribbing, consternation and other flak, but my due to TWO red-Mist moment's I've done to my bankroll, pretty much what is happening to the odd town In Missippi, America at this present point!! My B/R's not suffered total devastation, but at least I am still at a stage when I can rebuild. 

I've got my april targets to reflect on which I'll post about on Wednesday and also set myself some small targets for May. 

G/LUCK ALL

PS A NON POKER PARAGRAPH TO CLOSE:- when you see what I mean on the news in the morning, please, take stock and think to yourself how you should enjoy life FWIW, especially with what some people have been through across the pond - My thought's are with them. 
  • edited April 2014
    107+17.67 2hrs
    108 -43.51 1hr
    109 +29.67 2hr
    110 -2.68 30mins
    111 +26.16 1hr
    112 -32.75 2 hr  514.23

Not been playing a lot after recent slump in fortunes. My harddrive also began to fail so it gave me a good excuse to take a break for a few days. To be honest I have been finding it hard to deal with being back to my breakeven point again after 100 sessions, and if I hadnt have started this diary I would never have believed the swings that I have experienced. Im going to try and relax and keep playing my game, at least until the end of June and if after 6 months of hammering the tables I am still not improving I will move back to tournament poker exclusively.

I really tried to enjoy my poker tonight but got caught up in one silly hand that needlessly cost me 200bb, when I 4b with kj from the sb just because a player's 3bet size (5x button over 3x co) annoyed me! He flopped a set with 66 and I turned an oesd after being stubborn on the flop. I was annoyed at myself for such foolish play and when the same player chased a fd and rivered my AA I decided to call it a night.

After swapping my hard drive for an old spare I found some old poker notes from 3 years ago when I first took up the game, written in bold type on the first page:

• Dont play when not fully committed e.g. watching football
    • STOP playing back at wild players without a hand

I guess I havent really learnt a lot since then! Bah!

• edited April 2014
    113 38.86 2hr  553.09

So enough moaning and back with decent winning session. After the aforementioned laptop problems I am now playing in the browser through Linux - and its super fast! I definately recommend anyone who is struggling to get hold of windows or is just as tightfisted as me (IRL, not poker!) to make the change to Linux. It is free, its secure and its fast.

I have managed to get SkyGo working and I am going to download the skypoker download client soon and have a mess around to see if I can get that ready to go as well.

Saw one of my hands on MC this morning that made me cringe, but also ensured I remained focused on my tables. No more moaning, just gritted teeth and a bit of optimism for the forseeable! Good things come to those who....flop the near nuts!
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    supercrazy Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £12.40
    n Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £12.44
      Your hole cards
    • Q

jimb0d1 Raise   £0.30 £0.45 £37.23
    supercrazy Call   £0.25 £0.70 £12.15
    n Call   £0.20 £0.90 £12.24
    Flop

• J

supercrazy Check        
    n Check        
    jimb0d1 Bet   £0.60 £1.50 £36.63
    supercrazy Call   £0.60 £2.10 £11.55
    n Call   £0.60 £2.70 £11.64
    Turn

supercrazy Check        
    n Bet   £2.70 £5.40 £8.94
    jimb0d1 Raise   £6.75 £12.15 £29.88
    supercrazy Fold        
    n Call   £4.05 £16.20 £4.89
    River

• J

n All-in   £4.89 £21.09 £0.00
    jimb0d1 Call   £4.89 £25.98 £24.99
    n Show
    • J
    • A

jimb0d1 Show
    • Q

jimb0d1 Win Straight to the Queen £24.58   £49.57
  • edited April 2014
    Hey guys- thanks for your posts.

I'm hoping to get back in the saddle again this Thursday night :-)
  • edited April 2014
    Hey guys- thanks for your posts. I'm hoping to get back in the saddle again this Thursday night :-)
    Posted by RICHORFORD
     Do they have special saddles for donkies, or do you use little pony ones?
  • edited April 2014
    114 £49.36 5hr  602.45

Head screwed on and TV off. Started in a £20 hole and clawed out before running really well at end of the session. +9 buyins  and won a seat in the main through a supersat. Like my old pal Mr Cube used to say, today was a good day.
  • edited April 2014
    113 -44.80 1hr 557.65

Costly hour on mastercash getting slapped around by the regs craigsg, liamboi and larson. bah!

3bets all owa!

• edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session TONIGHT WED 26th MARCH:
    Build a bankroll:- Well I've never really said so here is my target which i want to achieve by 30/4. Balance:- £2.60 

1) I want to double to just above £5 by either prizes in MTT or success on DYM MTT's:- to be occasionally getting 10 places either side of the bubble (am currently achieving 10 places outside bubble mark) 
    2) S&G's:- To be regularly placing 3rd or better in DYM's. Once confident I am regularly achieving this, then I will move upto playing the normal S&G's which earns good payouts for 1st & 2nd. 
    3) Cash Games: To have enough confidence in my game that I am succesful at building a chip stack, and only then, will I consider entering a cash game, probably start at 2p/4p bracket to start with. Some might encourage me to play these regularly - any tips for rookies playing these cash games? What do you guys think on these targets?
    Posted by GaryLaud
    Did I achieve my targets? Let's review
    1a) Build my BR above £5 - YES I achieved that target in a BIG way by winning some money in the turbo open, athough thanks to a recent (and well documented poor run, this has declined somewhat)

1b) MTT's:- MIXED RESULT:- I Finished I.T.M in the turbo open recently for just over £20 and cashed again a few days later - since then I've not won anything so Mixed result here.

2) DYM's:- Done quite well in these and my record stands at 7-in-a-row. (in terms of successes- IE I won/Cashed)
    3) CASH:- YES I managed to have a sufficient bankroll to play in 2p/4p games, although I now realise that ideally I am going to need a minimum of around £40 for this, which will cover me for 100 games, altough I can't imagine I'd end up losing my entire B/I every time I play.

NEXT POST;- MY TARGET'S for MAY!

• edited April 2014
    MAY TARGETS for GARYLAUD

MONTH TARGETS
    1) spin up B/ROLL  so that it is 2x what it is at the time of this posting: TARGET: £12.50

2) Earn that Magic 100poker points or "Cash for points" (Need to Avg 3-4 per day)

3) Score at least ONE Cash in an MTT.

4) Above 50% Winning Margin in DYM entries

WEEK TARGET
    To B/Even or Increase Bankroll

DAILY TARGETS:-
    1) to play sufficient volume to attract above 3pts
    2) Win more than lose at DYM's.

• edited April 2014
    Haven't posted much, been having net issues lately. No real big scores and another poor ish week on the tables previous. Started out this week nicely; Non league season had finished, and this baby came in (small brag)
    £10 E/w
    Conf North - North Ferriby @ 33/1 came 2nd
    Conf South - Eastleigh @ 9/2 came 1st
    North prem - Chorley @ 9/1 came 1st
    South prem - Hemel Hempstead @ 7/1 came 1st
    Ryman prem - Wealdstone @ 7/1 came 1st

Returned £2415.57.

I now have a proper roll to work with - makes it a hell of a lot easier.

Ended last night with 4 quid profit which i'll take.
  • edited April 2014
    Haven't posted much, been having net issues lately. No real big scores and another poor ish week on the tables previous. Started out this week nicely; Non league season had finished, and this baby came in (small brag) £10 E/w Conf North - North Ferriby @ 33/1 came 2nd Conf South - Eastleigh @ 9/2 came 1st North prem - Chorley @ 9/1 came 1st South prem - Hemel Hempstead @ 7/1 came 1st Ryman prem - Wealdstone @ 7/1 came 1st Returned £2415.57. I now have a proper roll to work with - makes it a hell of a lot easier. Ended last night with 4 quid profit which i'll take.
    Posted by Matt237
    That is different class. I'll be keeping an eye on your posts over the summer in case you feel generous enough to share your picks for next season!  Are you a big fan / regular attendee of a non-league club or is it just something you study for gambling purposes?

I hope that rungood continues over to the poker tables... As long as you aren't taking my money!
  • edited April 2014
    Haven't posted much, been having net issues lately. No real big scores and another poor ish week on the tables previous. Started out this week nicely; Non league season had finished, and this baby came in (small brag) £10 E/w Conf North - North Ferriby @ 33/1 came 2nd Conf South - Eastleigh @ 9/2 came 1st North prem - Chorley @ 9/1 came 1st South prem - Hemel Hempstead @ 7/1 came 1st Ryman prem - Wealdstone @ 7/1 came 1st Returned £2415.57. I now have a proper roll to work with - makes it a hell of a lot easier. Ended last night with 4 quid profit which i'll take.
    Posted by Matt237
    That is different class, well done
  • edited April 2014
    Yeah i'm a massive fan of football, but moreso grassroots football. The whole glazer/United takeover got me interested into FC United of Manchester but i'm a bit out the way in warwickshire so i follow Leamington FC and eventually got into non league, love it. I did the same last year and got about £1k return, can find some fantastic prices because the bookies just seem to go on previous seasons 
  • edited April 2014
    Yeah i'm a massive fan of football, but moreso grassroots football. The whole glazer/United takeover got me interested into FC United of Manchester but i'm a bit out the way in warwickshire so i follow Leamington FC and eventually got into non league, love it. I did the same last year and got about £1k return, can find some fantastic prices because the bookies just seem to go on previous seasons 
    Posted by Matt237
    Just don't put any money on Boston Utd:) We had our moments of glory under Steve Evans in 2004-5 but the dodgy contracts got us double relegated and we've not looked forwrd since:(
  • edited April 2014
    Best team we've played this season home+away Boston. Looked impressive.
  • edited May 2014
    Hi guys,

Giving it a whirl tonight. No joy on the DYM tables last week, so- you know me. I'm doing the sensible thing and going for the main and mini jackpot!

If I go out early from both those comps then I'll have a think about my next move- could be more MTTs, could be a DYM session- might even be a bit of cash. Watch this space.

Good luck tonight!
  • edited May 2014
    Good luck! I'm in too :)
  • edited May 2014
    And I'm out...of the main event at least anyway.

Still going ok in the mini. Now, just weighing up my options as to what else I'm going to play...
  • edited May 2014
    Okay i'm in.  Bankroll £80. 6x tables of 4nl.  gogogogogogogo

• edited May 2014
    Okay i'm in.  Bankroll £80. 6x tables of 4nl.  gogogogogogogo
    Posted by TPTP123
    Best of luck TPTP!

Meanwhile- I've gone out the mini. Not one of my better performances this week so far.

So I've just late-regged the £3K BH to see if I can turn things around!
  • edited May 2014
    Cheerls Orful, 

I'll keep posting in here to show you how its done. 
  • edited May 2014
    Cheerls Orful,  I'll keep posting in here to show you how its done. 
    Posted by TPTP123
    Lol! You've set yourself up for a fall now.

That said, I'm having a nightmare so far tonight.
  • edited May 2014
    March Review
    Start BR: £496.69 End BR: 557.65 +£60.69

April Goals: Hit 3k reward points, make a profit of £100 from cash

Smashed the 3k points total with around 4k points. A small profit but not what I was looking for and again very swingy!

C- again. No disaster, but not improving either.

April lessons: 

Try and stay positive and enjoy the games!

May Goals: Hit 3k reward points, make a profit of £100 from cash

Im off to spend a long weekend in the lakes with my old uni mates, so no poker for a bit. Staying in a big house on the laskeshore and planning to climb a hill or two, before eating and drinking my fill!
  • edited May 2014
    So after deciding how much of the bet winnings i'd put on my roll, i began playing tonight. Won the Mega for £175 off £5.50 buy in. Decent start eh? Much needed confidence booster

• edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: The Build A Bankroll Thread : Lol! You've set yourself up for a fall now. That said, I'm having a nightmare so far tonight.
    Posted by RicOrford
    Weeeeee.... The fall was fun!! 

Just booked a £130 bet.  Pokie broll = 214.94. 

Mmmm.. the taste of success is sweet. 

Gonna hit the 4nl-10nl tables now, instead of just 4nl. Will prob mix in some shots at 20nl around the £350-£370 mark. 

• edited May 2014
    weeee-woooahh-weeee.  Pretty updown session. I forgot how beserk it can be playing cash on spoker.  

Tried mixing in some 4nl+10nl+10nl-mastercash tables.

It just didn't work out, the 3bet pots on mcash tables were just kill my 100bb stack as i wasnt deep enough to call in most spots.  So instead of playing 8x of a mix of the above as orginally intended.  I played 4x Mcash tables 200bb deep, which worked out much muc much better, albeit a bit of an aggro BRM strategy. 

Sess results for 8x 4nl+10nl+10nl-mastercash = -£45
    Sess results for 4x 10nl-mastercash 200bb deep = £approx +£68ish 

Pokie broll = £237.44

Think my game selection for the micro tab is gonna be, 4 tables of 10nl master cash tables at primetime, ie Fri, Sat, Sun 5pm-2am... and then just 6-12x table grind 10nl reg 100bb tables for non-primetime evenings, ie mon-thu.  

• edited May 2014
    Okay, Time for a B/R Update from myself and where I am at with 'me challenges.

Weekly BR Challenge "Break even or end in profit":- FAIL!
    However, as I am playing DYM's and had a poor run early part of the week, I have finished Week 1 of may (I know only four days etc etc) at a slight loss of -£2.90.

DAILY CHALLENGES:-
    1) Accumulate 3+ P/Points
    As I have been putting in alot of volume in on the site (Well for me anyway, Esp 10 Turbo DYM's in one day is somewhat of a personal record) I have easily achieved my target with regards to this, clock having ticked over into may 5, and already I am on 27points! 

2) Win/cash more DYM's than losses (IE Win-rate Above 50%) 
    The first two days I didn't do this, but friday I definately achieved this and a break-even day today, having played 2 turbo DYM's and cashed 1, lost one, same again in standard 60p DYM's.