You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The Build A Bankroll Thread

Comments

• edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session Wednesday 12th March 8pm-midnight:
    never seen sopranos!!!! it has to be the best tv series i have seen, i dont think it will seem dated its a fantastic show, right now im on sons of anarchy,nearing end of season 6, also dexter is good, after sons im onto Breakin Bad. just got my p.m aswell, did u send it 4 times as payback lol, i didnt mean it. the team game is once a month. ill post when its due round again, miby play some cash games later if your on, i wouldnt mind taking the presenters cash lol. made a massive £2 today at 8nl playing for  1 hour recording my stats which i placed on my diary.  gl
    Posted by Chris_Mc
    The Sopranos holds up brilliantly, the main theme is family life after all. For my money it is just as well written amd intelligent as The Wire and just as hilarious and entertaining as Breaking Bad. I envy anyone who has yet to watch any of those series for the first time!  
  • edited March 2014
    Hi Guys
    New to the site, but wanted to take part in the exercise. Last night, I had myself a session, and a lousy one at that. Took part in the 10k turbo "direct" in order to try and get myself a seat in the 10k turbo main tourney..no luck there or in the lottery.

Later, I was bored, so I took the plunge and enrolled myself in a cash table, micro stakes and took my £1.88 to the table. I played three separate cash tables and ended up on a net loss from all three. One table I left, because EVERy time we got to the river, my opponent was always betting around 16p and it became very tricky for a newbie like me to "play properly"

I lost most of my £1.88, so tonight I think I might enter the free seats freeroll and probably one other using some of my 490pts I still have left for my sign-up.

I notice the O/P is signed up to a couple of MTT's. Gd Luck m8!

Regards
    Gary
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session Wednesday 12th March 8pm-midnight:
    Hi Guys New to the site, but wanted to take part in the exercise. Last night, I had myself a session, and a lousy one at that. Took part in the 10k turbo "direct" in order to try and get myself a seat in the 10k turbo main tourney..no luck there or in the lottery. Later, I was bored, so I took the plunge and enrolled myself in a cash table, micro stakes and took my £1.88 to the table. I played three separate cash tables and ended up on a net loss from all three. One table I left, because EVERy time we got to the river, my opponent was always betting around 16p and it became very tricky for a newbie like me to "play properly" I lost most of my £1.88, so tonight I think I might enter the free seats freeroll and probably one other using some of my 490pts I still have left for my sign-up. I notice the O/P is signed up to a couple of MTT's. Gd Luck m8! Regards Gary
    Posted by GaryLaud

HI GARY,

welcome too the forum mate,
    i was reading your posts earlier and larson7 gave advice about the freerolls, very good advice at that for small BR's like you and me.

lambert also offered some advice on BR management and is tough when it such a small roll. his advice i very good though and should try tooo apply what he says, im trying the same with my low stake cash play.

remember though everyone started where you are mate and takes time too build, im currently doing the same on my diary.

the bonus if you post on this and get involved in the forum u might be lucky too win a seat into one of the mains. ive been lucky to have won 2 seats from mr orford and came 13th and cashed for 60 odd £'s also not just on the forum but watch the live shows and get involved and try and win a place through interacting with the sky presenters, there is always pro's happy too answer any questions for beginers and problems u may have. Look out for  ROSS JARVIS, SCOTTY77 AND REDMOND LEE, all i think are fantastic for any advice regarding cash and mtt play. You will also learn a bucket load on the game watching these live shows on 861

also u could have a look at the team threads and get involved in the team games, theres chances too win bigger seats for higher stake tournaments by playing smaller stake games which are very enjoyable and evryone is there for a good night. they can also help with any advice u need.

anyway good luck mate and see u at the tables.
  • edited March 2014
    never seen sopranos!!!! it has to be the best tv series i have seen, i dont think it will seem dated its a fantastic show, right now im on sons of anarchy,nearing end of season 6, also dexter is good, after sons im onto Breakin Bad. just got my p.m aswell, did u send it 4 times as payback lol, i didnt mean it. the team game is once a month. ill post when its due round again, miby play some cash games later if your on, i wouldnt mind taking the presenters cash lol. made a massive £2 today at 8nl playing for  1 hour recording my stats which i placed on my diary.  gl
    Posted by Chris_Mc
    Haven't seen Breaking Bad!!!!

No, didn't send it 4 times as revenge- I pressed send and it didn't seem to work so I kept pressing it. Then I realised it was working every time! I think you probably did the same thing!

Might see you later on the cash tables...
  • edited March 2014
    Posted by Chris_Mc

PS- I like your poker video link discussion thread.
  • edited March 2014
    Orford - The Sopranos is probably the best drama series ever made. I'm currently watching Breaking Bad (which is - as you'll know - widely regarded as a modern classic) and while it's good, it's not doing it for me the way Tony and his crew did. Get yourself down to Bada Bing pronto!
    Posted by Slipwater

Strong words indeed. That kind of makes me want to check this Sopranos thingy out.

I'd be interested to know exactly where in Breaking Bad you're up to though. Because if you're judging it after just a few episodes then you might change your mind by the time you finish the whole thing. It gets seriously epic as the show goes on.
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session Wednesday 12th March 8pm-midnight : The Sopranos holds up brilliantly, the main theme is family life after all. For my money it is just as well written amd intelligent as The Wire and just as hilarious and entertaining as Breaking Bad. I envy anyone who has yet to watch any of those series for the first time!  
    Posted by jimb0d1
    A decent recommendation since I love those two shows. I really must get around to watching the first couple of episodes...
  • edited March 2014
    Hi, Just a further post to what I was remarking earlier. I've just finished playing in the 7pm freeroll tourney "Free Seats FR". Started out with 623 runners, and I've managed to come 67th. OK i've not placed in the "prizes" this time, but as a newbie, a decent result from what will prob be the only F/R I do play in tonight.... (?)

GaryLaud
  • edited March 2014
    Hi Guys New to the site, but wanted to take part in the exercise. Last night, I had myself a session, and a lousy one at that. Took part in the 10k turbo "direct" in order to try and get myself a seat in the 10k turbo main tourney..no luck there or in the lottery. Later, I was bored, so I took the plunge and enrolled myself in a cash table, micro stakes and took my £1.88 to the table. I played three separate cash tables and ended up on a net loss from all three. One table I left, because EVERy time we got to the river, my opponent was always betting around 16p and it became very tricky for a newbie like me to "play properly" I lost most of my £1.88, so tonight I think I might enter the free seats freeroll and probably one other using some of my 490pts I still have left for my sign-up. I notice the O/P is signed up to a couple of MTT's. Gd Luck m8! Regards Gary
    Posted by GaryLaud
    Hi Gary,

Welcome to Sky Poker and welcome to this thread too! Seen you've already started messaging the show too so drop me an email or forum post next time I'm on and I'll be sure to read it out and namecheck you on air.

I like your enthusiasm and willingness to get involved on the community forum. I hope you continue to pop your progress on this thread whenever you get the urge so we can cheerlead/advise you along the way.

To give you a potential leg-up cash-wise- and at the very least some decent main event experience even if you don't cash- I'll stick you in the 8pm Turbo Open for next Tuesday 18th.

Just simply log on the site and you'll see that some point on Tuesday your name will be automatically entered into the tournament lobby. When the tournament starts your table will automatically generate. You don't have to do anything...except play it!

Good luck! And let us know how you got on :-)
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session Wednesday 12th March 8pm-midnight : Strong words indeed. That kind of makes me want to check this Sopranos thingy out. I'd be interested to know exactly where in Breaking Bad you're up to though. Because if you're judging it after just a few episodes then you might change your mind by the time you finish the whole thing. It gets seriously epic as the show goes on.
    Posted by RicOrford
    Episode 11 of Season 2. It's good, just not... awesome.

Pinkman steals every scene he is in too.
  • edited March 2014
    see gary, binked a seat allready too the turbo, wouldnt get that anywhere else buddy.

gl, 

i came 51st last night out of 800+ runners, and 13th last week,  just take your time and watch your hands, it is a turbo mind so the blinds go reasonably quick. if your unsure get away! 
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session Wednesday 12th March 8pm-midnight : Hi Gary, Welcome to Sky Poker and welcome to this thread too! Seen you've already started messaging the show too so drop me an email or forum post next time I'm on and I'll be sure to read it out and namecheck you on air. I like your enthusiasm and willingness to get involved on the community forum. I hope you continue to pop your progress on this thread whenever you get the urge so we can cheerlead/advise you along the way. To give a potential leg-up cash-wise- and at the very least some decent main event experience even if you don't cash- I'll stick you in the 8pm Turbo Open for next Tuesday 18th. Just simply log on the site and you'll see that some point on Tuesday your name will be automatically entered into the tournament lobby. When the tournament starts your table will automatically generate. You don't have to do anything...except play it! Good luck! And let us know how you got on :-)
    Posted by RicOrford

WoW thank's very much Rich! -  Thanks for the seat to the tuesday turbo! I will definately let you all know how I progress over the course of this week - Speaking of which, I took part in tonight's 7pm "Free Seats freeroll" which had the prize of 30 seats in tonight's biggie, the £12,000 re-buy. 

I finished a creditable 67th out of 620+ players at the start.. As a newbie, I feel a decent result, despite not earning a prize. Will be interesting to see what plenty of practice in similar event's will do for my skills and confidence and I hope I can justify your kindness next week with a decent finish!

Thanks again, and will keep a lookout for when you are presenting next, and make sure I'm watching! 
    Regards
    Gary

• edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session Wednesday 12th March 8pm-midnight : HI GARY, welcome too the forum mate, i was reading your posts earlier and larson7 gave advice about the freerolls, very good advice at that for small BR's like you and me. lambert also offered some advice on BR management and is tough when it such a small roll. his advice i very good though and should try tooo apply what he says, im trying the same with my low stake cash play. remember though everyone started where you are mate and takes time too build, im currently doing the same on my diary. the bonus if you post on this and get involved in the forum u might be lucky too win a seat into one of the mains. ive been lucky to have won 2 seats from mr orford and came 13th and cashed for 60 odd £'s also not just on the forum but watch the live shows and get involved and try and win a place through interacting with the sky presenters, there is always pro's happy too answer any questions for beginers and problems u may have. Look out for  ROSS JARVIS, SCOTTY77 AND REDMOND LEE, all i think are fantastic for any advice regarding cash and mtt play. You will also learn a bucket load on the game watching these live shows on 861 also u could have a look at the team threads and get involved in the team games, theres chances too win bigger seats for higher stake tournaments by playing smaller stake games which are very enjoyable and evryone is there for a good night. they can also help with any advice u need. anyway good luck mate and see u at the tables.
    Posted by Chris_Mc
    +1
  • edited March 2014
    In the main right now!

Mini to start in the next 20 minutes.

Good luck all!
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session Wednesday 12th March 8pm-midnight : Episode 11 of Season 2. It's good, just not... awesome. Pinkman steals every scene he is in too.
    Posted by Slipwater
    Ah, the curse of expectation. You're watching it after everyone's raved about it. Nothing can ever live up to your expectations in that scenario.

I expect the same would happen for me watching The Sopranos now, having had so many people big it up over the years. I might be a bit like 'It's good, just not awesome.' But if I'd watched it when it first aired, or without knowing what the audience/critical reception to it was, I might just have absolutely loved it. 

PS- I love Pinkman in BB. As played by Redmond Lee.
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session Wednesday 12th March 8pm-midnight : WoW thank's very much Rich! -  Thanks for the seat to the tuesday turbo! I will definately let you all know how I progress over the course of this week - Speaking of which, I took part in tonight's 7pm "Free Seats freeroll" which had the prize of 30 seats in tonight's biggie, the £12,000 re-buy.  I finished a creditable 67th out of 620+ players at the start.. As a newbie, I feel a decent result, despite not earning a prize. Will be interesting to see what plenty of practice in similar event's will do for my skills and confidence and I hope I can justify your kindness next week with a decent finish! Thanks again, and will keep a lookout for when you are presenting next, and make sure I'm watching!  Regards Gary
    Posted by GaryLaud

No probs, Gary. Sounds like you're on the right track with that 67/620+ result too. Keep going and the cashes will start coming eventually.

In answer to your question- I'm next doing the show on Thursday 20th March with Ryan. 
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014: next session Wednesday 12th March 8pm-midnight : PS- I like your poker video link discussion thread.
    Posted by RicOrford

thanks, just though id try something and see how it went, hard too find new clips too talk about though everyday
  • edited March 2014
    Finished 64th of 256 in the Mini.

Still in the main! Currently sat on Ryan and Andrew1947s table. Pretty tough draw.

Field was 516.

I'm currently 55th of 67 remaining.

55 get paid.
  • edited March 2014
    Good luck, Rich. I know we'll never hear the end of it if you win the thing, but stranger things and all that... ;)
  • edited March 2014
    And I'm out the main.

But another good week and inching ever close to a main event final table.

Finished 28th out of 516 for a cash of £75.60.

So with the rebuys and add-ons in both events, I've finished the night by posting a small profit.

Started with £93 and finished with £103.

Thanks for everyone who railed and supported my quest to take down the main for a second time and prove the first one was not a fluke. I will keep going!

Meanwhile, please keep me up-to-date with your own quests on here and feel free to comment on other people's.

Cheers all!
  • edited March 2014
    Sess 58 (4 hrs x 6) +44.95
    BR: 608.85

Entered the main as tempted by massive prizepool, but while watching the football/playing cash and mucking about on facebook I managed to miss the add-on period and then ran QQ into AA pre with 25ish bb. 

Cash went better - despite a few early mishaps (flatted a 3b oop with 24hh and got all in on 345 flop vs AA) I managed to get back into profit and close the night out well. Delighted to see I am still in the running for another leaderboard bonus, and will hopefully get a few hands in tomorrow and friday to move further up the table. The big prizes are out of my grasp but with a little luck I can possibly hit 3k points and get 50/75 extra rewards money which is not to be sniffed at.

On Saturday my dad and brothers arrive at mine for a few pints and then a 'Zombie Survival Experience' at the Castle Keep in Newcastle. I bought tickets as a xmas present as its the kind of thing we have all been into since kids. I think I saw Peter Jackson's 'Braindead' when I was about 10 years old and loved it! Basically we are going to be running around a medieval turret and dungeon, shooting heavily made-up zombie actors with modified NERF guns. Should be different!

• edited March 2014
    Sess 59 (4 hrs x 6) -£62.31
    BR: 546.54

Played baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaddddddd. On the plus side, enjoyed some Cheltenham coverage and its nice just to have a day off playing poker. Played on autopilot mostly and opened almost any playable hand from any position...........calling most rivers whenever there was a little doubt and it costs a lot.

Enjoyed a deep run and 3rd place finish in a cheap morning tourney that recouped a little of my losses. Left Rainman HU with another player for the glory. bah!
  • edited March 2014
    Sess 59 (4 hrs x 6) -£62.31 BR: 546.54 Played baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaddddddd. On the plus side, enjoyed some Cheltenham coverage and its nice just to have a day off playing poker. Played on autopilot mostly and opened almost any playable hand from any position...........calling most rivers whenever there was a little doubt and it costs a lot. Enjoyed a deep run and 3rd place finish in a cheap morning tourney that recouped a little of my losses. Left Rainman HU with another player for the glory. bah!
    Posted by jimb0d1
    Hi Jimbod1, reading your post, kind of reminds me when I am "let loose" One of my main major flaws is that I get myself some decen hole-cards, bet and then end up folding if I run into a poor FLOP and find one or more opponents posting big bets against me at this stage. I've often been scared away from semi decent hands by people betting large against me.

I was on one of my very attempts at the cash tables recently (2p/4p Blinds), where it seemed like no matter what I did, or what sort of hand I had, there was a user there who seemed to bet some 4x-7x the BB on river....and AGAIN I was finding it difficult to accept that there might be the odd hand where they were lying (Bluffing)...which I now realise...Rookie errors eh?

Just as an O/T remark, is there anyway I can setup my font sizes and stuff as a default...I find the preset font too small......

Regards
    Gary
  • edited March 2014
    I dont think you can set the default size bigger, although you could always change the zoom settings in your browser. I think in the main you SHOULD be scared of large bets Gary, look for reasons to fold instead of reasons to call. Unfortunately I dont always take my own advice......

Sess 60(2 hrs x 6) +2076
    BR: 567.30

1 big hand (QQQQ vs turned FH for opponent) meant that I won back some monies.

• edited March 2014
     Sess 61 (1 hr x 6) -41.53 BR: 525.77 

Bad luck and bad play = bad times

• edited March 2014
     Sess 61 (1 hr x 6) -41.53 BR: 525.77  Bad luck and bad play = bad times
    Posted by jimb0d1
    What do you mean by 1 hr x 6?
  • edited March 2014
    sess 62 (1hr x 6tabs) +4.38 br: £530.15

1 hour playing 6 tables Gary. I intended to review my sessions at the end of every month and see how the length of the session and number of tables played affected my results. Of course, I havent been bothered!! 6 is the max number of tables my laptop can fit on the screen anyway and I am very comfortable playing solely cash on all 6 so ill stick with that for now.
  • edited March 2014
    Good fun railing you in the main Rich, Played v well.
  • edited March 2014
    After a couple of night's playing the free "practice" or "Play Money" cash tables (Are sky likely to bring in play money tournaments I wonder?) I tonight wanted tourney action and enrolled myself in the "£250 gtd Speed" starting at 21:45 with a £2.20 buy-in which perfectly matched one of my bonuses I still had left to use. I started quite strongly and won one or two decent hands, including a speculative bet to "see the flop" ended up yealding me a flush and the same technique later gave me a STR8.

When it was "all said & done" I exited the competition in 38th/117 runners. So still no improvement on my previous free-roll entry the other night! all this after a seemingly decent night at the practice tables left me around 750 play-chips up!

So maybe its perhaps that one cannot use the play tables as a marker for how an actual MTT could run?

Yr thought's guys?
  • edited March 2014
    Play tables are a waste of time imo. Free games play competetly differently to even 35p stakes. Put £10 on and play £1 hu games/mtts. Only buy into £2.30 games when you have £20.

You can get yourself going there, but must have the disclipline to stick to cheap games.