You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

New kid on the block

Comments

• edited September 2014
    Boom. 16/20 on the DYMs at £5 level resulting in 100 points and a £50 profit. Played well, ran well, not much more to say. 167/282 overall now, still aiming for 1000 to re-evaluate/move up etc.
  • edited September 2014
    Tonight was a struggle but ended up in £8 profits. Stats show 14/24 on the £5 DYMs.

Overall we have passed the 300 mark and sit on 181 cashes out of 306 attempts. In the money just over 59% but still a small sample. Noted before at 1000 I will re-evaluate and make a decision on moving forward.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

In terms of week-end, Friday and Saturday will be another DYM based grind but Saturday will also include a couple of MTTs (Pointing at 20:15 Deepstack and 20:40 £8,80 GTD). Sunday will be a pure MTT day in the evening, but may still play some DYMs in the afternoon dependant. I still enjoy MTTing and I like to keep Sunday reserved for a DYM 'break' as there are a few good structured games on the Sunday.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Been discussing a lot of DYM hands on skype lately and alot actually have very interesting scenarios, going to try and post more of these hands and possibly increase activity in the clinic section as we haven't had a proper hand response in 40 days until I posted a reply on 2 threads in there. So keep an eye out for some. All the best this week-end to everyone. Will update tomorrow with Friday results. Run good!
  • edited September 2014
    Another night of profit and entertainment. The megastack in particular was good fun.

I busted this game 4 off the cash, main blow was Isolating a 4bb jam with KQs with my 13bb left, and the BB with 10bb had AA. Flopped the world but missed. Spun up to 6bb but exited 89<K4o, never mind.

DYMs finished 12/16 which is another good performance. Been getting a good run on these lately and still enjoying them. A night overall of +£26.50.

Put a few bets on for tomorrow, have an 8 fold acca across the leagues, and a decent double on Leamington/Bradford PA @ 4.06/1. Both teams are 5/4 to win their games respectively in the Conference North tomorrow, and whilst I don't like betting on my own team, its a good yet strange price. Bradford PA to beat Brackley at home is an absolute banker. 

No play tomorrow as I have plans to go out after the football, watch the Leeds Rhinos play-off game down the pub and hit the streets. Back on sunday, run good everyone.
  • edited September 2014
    I remember playing you the other night Matt.
    Thought you played very well. I remember a game where the table opened up and I saw you and pingu and thought I should have stuck with the other games. Think all 3 of us cashed in that one.
    Can't see any reason why yon can't maintain the 59%
    Be happy to talk Dyms with you anytime 
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: New kid on the block:
    I remember playing you the other night Matt. Thought you played very well. I remember a game where the table opened up and I saw you and pingu and thought I should have stuck with the other games. Think all 3 of us cashed in that one. Can't see any reason why yon can't maintain the 59% Be happy to talk Dyms with you anytime 
    Posted by Jac35
    That will be such an interesting conversation. 

So interesting.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: New kid on the block : That will be such an interesting conversation.    So interesting.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    :)
  • edited September 2014
    Lost about £3,20. 

6/10 on the DYMs , and a bubble in the £8,80 £400 GTD , which I feel I was a bit unlucky (See my thread in poker chat about this MTT). Really wasn't fair having to play 1.5-2 hands for every hand to the other table. Hope the issue is resolved..

Leamington lost 3-1 at home to a strong Harrogate side. 

Bad end to a good week.
  • edited September 2014
    I remember playing you the other night Matt. Thought you played very well. I remember a game where the table opened up and I saw you and pingu and thought I should have stuck with the other games. Think all 3 of us cashed in that one. Can't see any reason why yon can't maintain the 59% Be happy to talk Dyms with you anytime 
    Posted by Jac35
    Do remember this game and I didn't like seeing you and Pingu on the other side of the table :-). One reg is enough
  • edited September 2014
    ''I busted this game 4 off the cash, main blow was Isolating a 4bb jam with KQs with my 13bb left, and the BB with 10bb had AA. Flopped the world but missed. Spun up to 6bb but exited 89<K4o, never mind.''

Hey Matt, you were unlucky there, it was a tough seat for you, I was hanging on by my fingertips, had to open shove lots of times, have to say I felt guilty that you ran into these aces, on another day everyone else folds and you take me out.

Hope you forgive me :-)

Neil
  • edited September 2014
    Tricky night.

Finished 12/20 (+£10) on DYMs , but a good recovery.

It started very poorly with myself being 1/6, decided to de-reg from a few MTTs and just play the mini alongside them. Then I went 3/11 and thought it wasn't to be my night, so I decided to de-reg from that too. Then completed the last 3 of that session and decided to play another 6 and I had won 9 in a row, recovering my night from awful loss to a small profit.

Spoken to some more people i'll be moving in with soon, and found out one of them has just met the voice of Super Mario. Jealousy was off the scale.

Tomorrow night. DTDs and Mega. See you there.
  • edited September 2014
    ''I busted this game 4 off the cash, main blow was Isolating a 4bb jam with KQs with my 13bb left, and the BB with 10bb had AA. Flopped the world but missed. Spun up to 6bb but exited 89<K4o, never mind.'' Hey Matt, you were unlucky there, it was a tough seat for you, I was hanging on by my fingertips, had to open shove lots of times, have to say I felt guilty that you ran into these aces, on another day everyone else folds and you take me out. Hope you forgive me :-) Neil
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    KQ was optimistic but with how nitty the other 4 were think its fine. Even on the flop I thought i'd win the hand but no good!
  • edited September 2014
    Tried to update this last night but the forum went down.

Monday 22nd September - Did not go very well. Consistent across the board but no cashes. Mid-Deep runs in all DTDs and Mega though. Had one nasty hand QQ<55 all in pre about 5 off DTD1 cash and for a big stack, flop came Q high but running hearts got him there. Did not taste very nice! -£11 night

Tuesday 23rd September - Turbo - Got JJ<KK in all in pre, hit my set but it was no good, another big hand for a big stack relatively deepish. :-(. DYMs ended 12/20 after a bad start of 5/13, which was a nice recovery overall from a bad loss to only a £1 loss on the night. 

Wednesday plans - Megastack and £5 DYMs. Aiming for another 20-24 games whilst playing the 8,30pm megastack alongside to keep the concentration going. I am fairly comfortable with 4-6 tables at a time but struggle to play more or less and I like to have frequent breaks.
  • edited September 2014
    Universities like to play around with dates.

My official course start - 13th October
    Freshers week start - 6th October
    'Moving in' day - 5th October
    SEC welcome day - 3rd October.

Accomodation license begins? - 28th September.

Seems very strange to have the license start a week before anything else begins, but I suppose its nice to get there and settle down. Wish I had known about this a few weeks ago. Frantically been sorting through my stuff and packing over the last few days. So turns out I am moving to Wolverhampton halls on Sunday. Straight after a day full of beer on Saturday with Leamington playing in the FA Cup. Lol. I could have stayed at home but there is no point having a week paid of accomodation when i'm not even there, and being the life nit I am, might aswell make use of it.

For anyone interested in the area or anyone who reads this that works/lives in Wolverhampton, I am moving into Lomas street - Durham house building. Standard accomodation, not Economy or Ensuite, reasonable price/location etc. Molineux stadium is 100 yards from the entrance, ASDA 100 yards in the other direction and the train station is a 10-15 minute walk which is very handy. Got to know a few of my moving inmates on Facebook and i'm pretty excited but relatively nervous at the same time. 

So where this diary will be at for the next few weeks i'm not really sure. Imagine most of my nights will be entertainment filled among us all at Uni so no real time for Poker, but i'm not going to stop playing or stop the diary. May get a few sessions in during daytime possibly now and then.

Will be on the tables tonight (Wednesday), Thursday and Friday so feel free to come and have a chat at the tables. Saturday i'm off to Leamington all day as we play Wroxham (from Norwich) at home in the FA Cup 2nd qualifying round, who are 2 divisions below us so hopefully get through that with no problems, and be 2 games away from the FA Cup first round. One of the pubs are doing its FA Cup day special of BOGOF on selected pints before + after the game so I definitely won't be playing poker in the evening!
  • edited September 2014
    Hand #1

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceMatt237 Small blind  100.00 100.00 1870.00 harrylee94 Big blind  200.00 300.00 4070.00   Your hole cards       Loose Fish All-in  1967.50 2267.50 0.00 Reg Fold     Matt237 Call  1867.50 4135.00 2.50 harrylee94 Fold

Hand #2

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancebratt08 Small blind  100.00 100.00 3092.50 Matt237 Big blind  200.00 300.00 2075.00   Your hole cards 8 Q       Dollie Fold     KP301 Fold     bratt08 Call  100.00 400.00 2992.50 Matt237 Check     Flop    3 2 8       bratt08 Bet  400.00 800.00 2592.50 Matt237

Couple of DYM hands.

Hand #1 - Stacks are 4k 4k 2k and 2k approx. Hero/Villain both have 2 and reg/harry have 4k. With loose fish jamming what would a good calling range be here? Its effectively for my life because if i lose i'm left with 2.5 chips at 100/200 (lol). I figure 10s+ and AK is good here, opinions?

Hand #2 - I can't remember exact stacks but i'm definitely the shortest player at the table. Given the fact some players have an exploitable limping range I still don't think I can jam here pre flop given still 10/11 bb deep, but on this flop what are our thoughts on jamming here, knowing a lot of players at this level pot with air or hands?
  • edited September 2014
    14/23 (meant to play 24 but miscounted hey) on the DYMs and another deep run without a cash in the mega stack left me with £8 profit. £13.50 profit on the DYMs, and the -£5.50 from the MTT, for Wednesday evening.

Day today has consisted of packing and tidying up, things we all hate, drags on forever and you end up getting little done! On tables later, strictly DYMs so look forward to it. Had a good chat with pom/spinky and nice to run into other regs including Jac again. Off to finish my scampi and chips for now though ..

237/395 so far, will be breaking the 400 mark tonight for sure.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to A few hands:
    Hand #1 Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance Matt237 Small blind   100.00 100.00 1870.00 harrylee94 Big blind   200.00 300.00 4070.00   Your hole cards x  x        Loose Fish  All-in   1967.50 2267.50 0.00 Reg  Fold         Matt237 Call   1867.50 4135.00 2.50 harrylee94 Fold Hand #2 Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance bratt08 Small blind   100.00 100.00 3092.50 Matt237 Big blind   200.00 300.00 2075.00   Your hole cards 8 Q       Dollie Fold         KP301 Fold         bratt08 Call   100.00 400.00 2992.50 Matt237 Check         Flop     3 2 8       bratt08 Bet   400.00 800.00 2592.50 Matt237 Couple of DYM hands. Hand #1 - Stacks are 4k 4k 2k and 2k approx. Hero/Villain both have 2 and reg/harry have 4k. With loose fish jamming what would a good calling range be here? Its effectively for my life because if i lose i'm left with 2.5 chips at 100/200 (lol). I figure 10s+ and AK is good here, opinions? Hand #2 - I can't remember exact stacks but i'm definitely the shortest player at the table. Given the fact some players have an exploitable limping range I still don't think I can jam here pre flop given still 10/11 bb deep, but on this flop what are our thoughts on jamming here, knowing a lot of players at this level pot with air or hands?
    Posted by Matt237
    Hand 1 - calling range is fine against the 2 bigger stacks. Against the short stack as in this case I'm probably calling 8's and 9's as well. I'm definitely calling Ace 10+. People love shoving Ace rag in this situation and we'll be dominating him plenty of the time. We don't want the short stack getting away from us and we're miles ahead of his range here. We'll lose a few for sure but with the volume you're looking to put in, you'll win more than you lose. Personally, I think that people get caught up in the 'get the chips in first thing" 
    Ideally that's what we'll be doing, but there's not much wrong with getting it in good either, even if it's a call.

Hand 2 - might jam pre. Anything wrong with just raising him to 270ish on flop?
    Ta for rail last night 
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: A few hands:
    In Response to A few hands : Hand 1 - calling range is fine against the 2 bigger stacks. Against the short stack as in this case I'm probably calling 8's and 9's as well. I'm definitely calling Ace 10+. People love shoving Ace rag in this situation and we'll be dominating him plenty of the time. We don't want the short stack getting away from us and we're miles ahead of his range here. We'll lose a few for sure but with the volume you're looking to put in, you'll win more than you lose. Personally, I think that people get caught up in the 'get the chips in first thing"  Ideally that's what we'll be doing, but there's not much wrong with getting it in good either, even if it's a call. Hand 2 - might jam pre. Anything wrong with just raising him to 270ish on flop? .. Ta for rail last night 
    Posted by Jac35
    No worries.

Think its tough to raise without jamming with my stack being 2k and min raise being 800 leaving not much behind @ 100/200
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: A few hands:
    In Response to Re: A few hands : No worries. Think its tough to raise without jamming with my stack being 2k and min raise being 800 leaving not much behind @ 100/200
    Posted by Matt237
    Lol
    That's why I never normally post about hands. I don't read them properly.
    Jam
  • edited September 2014
    200th post weeeee! ;)
  • edited September 2014
    200th post weeeee! ;)
    Posted by mrsduck
    Well these kind of self-congratulatory comments really derail these diaries... ;)

Keep up the good work, Matt!
  • edited September 2014
    Not the best day and not the best evening. Glad to see the back of Thursday. Scores were P23 W11 L12. No regs around at all so really disappointed with that. I ran like poo. Played like poo. Nothing more to say. Onwards and upwards to Friday.
  • edited September 2014
    And there we go. Last night at home (for now) celebrated with a 15/20 run on the £5,50 DYMs. Mega exit I would not like to speak about, a very cruel runner runner outdraw. A +£40 night overall.

One of my bubbles was pure ICM suicide from the spot I was in but I couldn't do much about it. Lost twice with AA and once with KK, then tripled up from 800 chips and busted KQ<AK. Another game I made a dubious play but was technically ahead, but he got there. Was even confident enough to pull off some all in bluffs after barrelling twice when 6 handed @ 50/100 75/150 etc. I ran well, I played well. Complete contrast to yesterdays work.

Packing has finished, tomorrow is FA Cup day and i'll be out on the booze all day and crashing at my mates, then back home Sunday and I'm off. Lots of memories being left behind and it'll be difficult leaving Studley/Alcester as there are several people I feel blessed to have known who I will also be leaving behind. Really hit me properly this evening that I was off, shed a few tears as expected!

So in terms of poker that's it for me for a little bit. When I will return to the tables I do not know. Hopefully sooner rather than later. No self exclusion or anything, just need to settle in and get to know people, and dont want to be the lonely plonker in his room playing poker whilst the others are elsewhere. I'll keep the diary running because you know its a diary for a reason and it's not like i'll stop playing for good :). Really nervous, meeting new people when you suffer from deafness is one of the worst things I go through tbh.

Take care all, and gl at the tables.

Matt.

FAO Tikay - Whilst clearing out alot of my stuff I found a traveller's guide to the Rheilffordd Ffestiniog Railway (Which I have no idea how it ended up in my room). But thought it could be of interest to you. I read through it and found it quite interesting. Some of the scenary is marvellous.
  • edited September 2014
    Have a great time Matt!
    Hope you don't stay away too long xx
  • edited November 2014
    So it's been a while. Lifes been extremely busy and eventful, that's all.

University was always going to be a tough challenge but I think I underestimated it a little bit. I enjoyed my first week - getting to know everyone and each night filled with Alcohol and looking forward for week 2 which was freshers but everything started going downhill on the first weekend. And since I haven't had the best of time. 

The hospital messed up my operation date/details aswell which I had to arrange myself around timetables and frequently had insufficient responses. Finally had surgery last tuesday and now waiting on a phonecall for my biopsy results, so fingers and toes are crossed.

Course so far has been good but have missed the majority of it due to pre operation assessment and the operation itself plus recovery, so will return next week and have a lot to catch up on, again more stress.

My house consists of 3 floors - 2 corridors per floor and 6 rooms per corridor, so I live with 36 people technically. The people on my corridor are lovely and are already friends for life, but there are a lot of controversial figures elsewhere and at one point trouble was occuring every night inside our house, and a few people have totally lost patience. It's been fun to watch :)

Wolverhampton itself is not the best place to live in but it has everything I need really - 24 hours Asda is a 200 yard walk, City centre is a 10 minute walk to where the train/bus stations are and all the clubs/entertainment venues, and Molineux is also a 5 minute walk so when Leamington don't have a game and Wolves are at home I can pop down and watch a game for £12, which isn't bad considering this eras football ticketing prices

Where we are now - Settled in, getting over a little bit of girl trouble, sorting out some inconsiderate housemates, on rest on operation recovery, and already looking forward to the weekend. Hopefully en route to happiness again sometime soon.

• edited November 2014
    Poker matters.

I played Monday night and Tuesday night and both nights ended in profit. Monday was saved by a fantastic recovery in DTD2 after an awful bad beat left me feeling really gutted thinking that 'I could have won this if I won that pot', but still have a few BB and I spun that up and took control again. Crushed the final table if I'm honest and had confidence that I'd win, even though I hadn't touched a fold/call/raise button in 5 weeks before that night - So very happy with the result. 

Tonight I played a couple of MTTs and they went horrendously, hit the DYM scene and didn't run too good but manage to pull off a 13/20 run on the 5s again resulting in a £6 profit on the night. Its been lovely returning to the poker world again and hopefully I can continue a good run and end the year on a high. 

Overall on the £5 DYMs - 283/470. Tomorrow night I hope to play again but think we are heading out to a chinese buffet. If I do play tomorrow, it will be DYMs only and I will hit my 500 mark.
  • edited November 2014
    Decided to start posting some hands again, just for personal satisfaction and some welcoming advice obviously.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    MTM11 Small blind  2000.00 2000.00 70729.73
    Bear_Proof Big blind  4000.00 6000.00 34090.24
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • A

TASHAL Fold     
    Matt237 Raise  8000.00 14000.00 88190.00
    luvBWFC Fold     
    Eyeman Fold     
    MTM11 All-in  70729.73 84729.73 0.00
    Bear_Proof Fold     
    Matt237 Call  64729.73 149459.46 23460.27
    MTM11 Show

Matt237 Show
    • A
    • A

Flop

• Q
    • Q

Turn

River

MTM11 Win Full House, 6s and Queens 149459.46  149459.46
    This hand is what I referred to above, it left me with 6bb and my confidence deflated, but gotta be in it to win it.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    pirate63 Small blind  200.00 200.00 8235.00
    Wilhelm Big blind  400.00 600.00 19777.50
      Your hole cards
    • A

brabander Fold     
    Matt237 Raise  800.00 1400.00 21445.00
    Skins48 Fold     
    xCall  800.00 2200.00 19475.00
    pirate63 Fold     
    Wilhelm Fold     
    Flop

• J

Matt237 Bet  800.00 3000.00 20645.00
    Raise  1600.00 4600.00 17875.00
    Matt237 Raise  3200.00 7800.00 17445.00
    All-in  17875.00 25675.00 0.00
    Matt237 Call  15475.00 41150.00 1970.00
    Matt237 Show
    • A

Show
    • J

Turn

River

• J

Win Full House, Jacks and 10s 41150.00  41150.00
    This hand is an interesting one, I'm not really too familiar with the villain but it is the mega stack and the average opponent in this MTT does overplay hands. I may be face up when I make a flop 3 bet but I don't think villain is a thinking player and I could get action from worse 10s, AJ and possibly KQ, but when he shoves I did feel a bit sick and its my own fault, how often are they going to have J10 here? As played its the only hand I lose to, thoughts about getting this in on flop?

• edited November 2014
    Dont think you went wrong in either, 2nd one is a really tough fold, think most peoples chips are going in here,

1st is unlucky, chips are definitely going in, unless tou shove first but why would you shove pre and lose your customers. 

Just unlucky on both mate.
  • edited November 2014
    Yeah first hand just a fist pumping pre flop cooler and he ends up getting there with a nasty river with a 6 already being folded, but just put that here because I am happy with how I recovered to end up winning the MTT pretty easily

2nd one the more I think about it I dont think there is much else I can do, Just over 50bb seems ok to get in on this flop before a 9 or J reels off and putting out more hands that will beat me
  • edited November 2014
    Hey Matt,
    Hope everything at Uni gets better (easier) soon and everything's good re the operation...
    :)
    Don't put too much pressure on yourself!
    Ducky
  • edited November 2014

Hey Matt!

Well done on Monday night's win.

Enjoy Uni, out every night, eh? Can't beat it.