You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

StayOrGo UKPC Hand Review: HAND 59: DEJA VU. DO YOU CALL AN ALL IN WITH POCKET JACKS HERE?

edited March 2017 in Poker Chat
Sounds fascinating Graham, I'd love to see it :)

Comments

• edited March 2017
    Hi all.

I had a fairly deepish run in the UKPC this year. (Not as good as the mighty Andrew1947, but I just about made day3)

One thing I did do, was record the details and my thought process on every hand I was involved in, on my phone.

If people will find it of use, I am happy to detail this information on this thread. (I thought I could do 2 or 3 hands a day, in sequential order.)

It will be "kind of" in the style of Gus Hansens' book "Every Hand Revealed" (For those that have read that)

There are about 60 hands I think.

It's quite a bit of work, so wanted to make sure enough people would be interested/find it useful.

If enough people want me to do it, then I will be happy to do so. 

I guess I am putting myself out there to be shot at, a bit, by doing this, but feel free to constructively criticise my plays too.

Post on here, if you'd be interested.

Cheers,

Graham
  • edited May 2016
    would be a good read I think... would be interested in seeing this!
  • edited May 2016
  • edited May 2016
    This sounds great Graham. I really enjoyed Gus Hansens book and any chance to get a glimpse of an accomplished players mindset and thought processes should be welcomed by everyone.

Looking forward to it mate.
  • edited May 2016
    Sounds good more poker chat = less tin hats
  • edited May 2016
    I think this would be very good, look forward to reading.
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: StayOrGo UKPC Hand Review:
    This sounds great Graham. I really enjoyed Gus Hansens book and any chance to get a glimpse of an accomplished players mindset and thought processes should be welcomed by everyone. Looking forward to it mate.
    Posted by SJspanky1
    +1.

Be interesting to see how the old folk play : )

Seriously though, hats off for putting this on the forum.
  • edited May 2016
  • edited May 2016
    Sounds good!, feel free to give away as much info about your game as possible :)
  • edited May 2016
    Would love this!
  • edited May 2016
    Sounds a great idea, will definitely read.  Always good to see what a proper player does compared to my monkey-esque random button bashing.
  • edited May 2016
    Yes please! Very much looking forward to reading your thought processes. 
  • edited May 2016
    Bullfight critics ranked in rows
    Crowd the enormous Plaza full:
    But he is the only one who knows-
    The man who fights the bull.

Would be a great read, get em posted mate!

• edited May 2016
    Well you're certainly far better than I ma, so please do!
  • edited May 2016
    +1 for this, great idea! It's got me tempted to do the same thing in Vegas! Although I don't know if I can multi-task well enough to write down what has happened whilst also focusing on the table. Particularly if I win a pot - takes me forever to sort out my chip stack :P
  • edited May 2016
  • edited May 2016
    This sounds great Graham. I really enjoyed Gus Hansens book and any chance to get a glimpse of an accomplished players mindset and thought processes should be welcomed by everyone. Looking forward to it mate.
    Posted by SJspanky1

Same here.

• edited May 2016
    Would find this very interesting, looking forward to it.

• edited May 2016
    Sounds good!, feel free to give away as much info about your game as possible :)
    Posted by jordz16

Thanks for all the responses. I will start with the first three later tonight.

In reply to Jordz16, I may indeed be giving information about my game away. I did think about this, as particularly on Sky we meet the same players at the tables time and time again.

However, I think most regulars know my game/style by now already, and hopefully I mix it up enough, to not be too predictable.

I feel a close connection with the Sky Community, so I am happy to help others. I've had a few people asking me about coaching. I don't do any formal coaching, but have given a little help to a couple of people . So this is an informal way of helping others improve their game.

I will write about pretty much ALL the hands I was involved in, many of which are just standard plays. So it won't be a case of every hand being "interesting", however it will give you an idea of my over-all journey throughout the tournament.

Cheers,

Graham

• edited May 2016
    Looking forward to this.

Did you keep notes with this sort of thing in mind, or is it something you'd do normally in a live tournament to keep focused or as a reminder of what's been going on?
  • edited May 2016
    Looking forward to this. Did you keep notes with this sort of thing in mind, or is it something you'd do normally in a live tournament to keep focused or as a reminder of what's been going on?
    Posted by bbMike

Hi Mike,

I did it in my first ever big live tournament, which was in 2012 (UKIPT Nottingham), mainly for me to reflect upon after, and also, to pass on to my son (Limp2Lose), to help him with his game.

On this occasion, I originally did it for the UKPC High Roller, to pass on to my "backers". I didn't go deep in the High Roller, so I recorded hands from the UKPC M/E instead.

I think it is a useful thing to do (for self and others)

When the hand was over (and I've folded the following hand), I just stepped back from the table and quickly recorded the details (as best as I could remember)

Then at a later date, I review and reflect upon. There will be some hands that I am still unsure on, which I will be happy to receive feedback from the forum on, and open up for discussion.

Hopefully it will be mutually beneficial. It's a bit of a "trial" really. Time will tell if it proves to be a useful exercise for others and/or myself.

All the best!

• edited May 2016
    i shall read with much intrest , ty Graham its appreciated
  • edited May 2016

UKPC2016 FIRST HAND:
    ================

OK, here is the first hand. I will details the "facts" about what happed (as best as I can recall from the recording) and after detailing the hand I will describe my thought processes. (Also if anyone is unsure of the abbreviations/terminology I use, please let me know)

I hardly played a hand first level, so picking it up at the start of LEVEL2:

Early stages, everyone seemed quite solid, too early to fully understand player styles.

Blinds 75/150

50K starting stack, no one busted yet. (Stacks all around 50K)

My Starting Hand: 99

UTG, R to 350, UTG+1, RR to 900, I call 900 in the CUTOFF, BB calls, UTG, calls.

Flop: 79J rainbow

BB checks, UTG, checks, UTG+1 (original 3bettor), bets about half pot (1,800), I re-raise to 5,400, BB folds, UTG, folds.

UTG+1 makes it 18K, I go ALL IN, he calls.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My thought process is as follows:

PRE FLOP:

1) UTG+1 probably has a very strong hand to 3bet an UTG raise, at this stage of the tournament. So I put him on a range like, AQ,AK, TT,JJ,QQ,KK,AA.
    2) I have 50K in chips which is plenty to allow me to set mine with my 99 in position.

FLOP: 79J, Rainbow

POST FLOP:

3) Clearly I have a great hand (3rd NUTS), so I am very happy when UTG+1 leads out, 1,800. There are however, two people to act after me, and it's a draw heavy board, (I don't want a random, 8x,Tx or KQ making a straight) so I decide to play it aggressively and make it 5,400.
    4) It folds to the UTG+1(original 3bettor) and he makes it 18,000. I am a bit worried about, JJ now. To play the hand like this, this early in the tournament, is usually sign of a very strong hand. Being the pre flop 3-bettor, I can't feasibly put him on T8 in this spot.
    5) So, it's all in or fold for me, I decide, if he has, JJ, it's just a cooler. I think he could play QQ,KK,AA like this, putting me on a hand like JT, JQ, so I move all in and he calls.

SHOWDOWN: He has: Td8d

Remarkably he does have T8 (The NUTS), but I house up with a Jack on the river.

So I was nearly the first one out of the entire tournament, but doubled up instead. Fickle game this poker. :=)

Feel free to provide thoughts/comments on this hand.

Cheers,

Graham
  • edited May 2016
    when he showed 10 8 what were your thoughts on the villan, did you think whaat,what are you playing at or did you just dismiss this kind of play knowing you had plenty of outs,curious,it could tilt lesser players
    edit:im probably being abit nieve here
    edit: my spell checker aint working
  • edited May 2016
    when he showed 10 8 what were your thoughts on the villan, did you think whaat,what are you playing at or did you just dismiss this kind of play knowing you had plenty of outs,curious,it could tilt lesser players edit:im probably being abit nieve here
    Posted by stokefc

Hi Stoke, my thoughts were, that it was a strange play, at this stage of the tournament.

In the later stages of tournaments, good aggresive players can make these sorts of plays when the blinds are big. However, I have rarely seen this type of play in the early stages.

How did I feel at the time? I generally believe that any player has the right to play their hand how they want. So, sure, I was dissapointed to see his hand, and just hoped I'd house up. Which I did.

Would I have gone on tilt if I didn't house up? Well it's a mute point, as I would have busted. But generally it's my own bad plays that put me on tilt more than what anyone else does, or how the cards run out.

In this situation, I would probably have thought that I played the hand OK, and I couldn't really have forseen T8 there. So I'd be dissapointed, but probably wouldn't tilt me.

I'm not "beyond" tilt, as I do occasionally, but I try to work very hard on my mental resilience to avoid tilting wherever possible. Like I said before, it is more likely that I tilt from my own bad play than from "bad luck" or how someone else chooses to play their cards.

No one and no thing, can PUT someone on tilt, it's one's reaction to it, that puts one on tilt.

My advise to players who find themselves tilting, is to work mentally to change their "emotional response/reaction" to events that happen. This could involve something like, listening to calming music, meditation, mindfulness, or just creating a strong mindset through will power not to tilt. Everyone has their own way. It's always a work in progress though.

Hope this helps.

G
  • edited May 2016
    Brilliant idea!

Would be good if a few people who play WSOP events also do this (I will pinch the idea for my diary if you have no objections).

I have a few thoughts on the first hand you have posted. Kind of in the middle of a night off and having a few drinks with my other half so will reply when I can give a proper reply.
  • edited May 2016
    Hi Graham

Whaat a way to start things off!

That would b a cooler - as you say - proably only being beaten by the  Set JJ when he calls I guess must have thought was behind to that - Most thinking players fold kk, AA there I guess.

Great advise on the tilt too

• edited May 2016
    Hi Graham,

Really intresting read on how the hand played out. I'm guessing you had no reads so early in the tourney on the villian but would this hand played out the same against a winning reg in a ME on Sky?

• edited May 2016
    that sky river ;)

great read btw and i think its great play by yourself
  • edited May 2016
    You really think someone might rip in QQ/KK/AA on a J high board for 300bb+, thinking you have just top pair, in the 2nd level of a £1k event?

I've never played a £1k event and probably never will but I'd assume the standard is gonna be pretty decent at the least? Happy to be corrected if that isn't the case.

I'm never folding fwiw but think we're gonna be shown JJ a hell of a lot more than QQ+.