You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

StayOrGo UKPC Hand Review: HAND 59: DEJA VU. DO YOU CALL AN ALL IN WITH POCKET JACKS HERE?

Comments

• edited May 2016
    Have to agree that when he calls I think he has JJ 80% of the time, 77 about 10% and an overpair about 10%, I wouldn't ever put him on 10 8 though!

By the way am I the only one who feels slightly sorry for the guy who got all his stack in with the stone cold nuts and as a 65% favorite only to end up getting his coat?

Still a little bit of run good helps, nice river.
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: StayOrGo UKPC Hand Review: FIRST HAND NOW REVEALED:
    Have to agree that when he calls I think he has JJ 80% of the time, 77 about 10% and an overpair about 10%, I wouldn't ever put him on 10 8 though! By the way am I the only one who feels slightly sorry for the guy who got all his stack in with the stone cold nuts and as a 65% favorite only to end up getting his coat? Still a little bit of run good helps, nice river.
    Posted by Enut

Thanks for the replies, I did tank quite a lot (for me, about 30 seconds), and eventually decided to go all in.

It wasn't an easy decision by any means. I agree, JJ was a real possibility here.

I did half have an eye on the fact that I could re-enter. Although £1K is a lot to stump up. But I would have re-entered if I had lost that hand. Possibly making my decision easier.

For me the percentages felt more like, 55%, JJ, 15%, 77, 25%, overpair, 4.5%, other, 0.5%, T8.

It completely depends on the player mind, whilst I didn't have any actual reads, some subliminal info is always present, clearly I can't convey this on the thread. Either way you look at it, I am fully aware that I got very lucky :=)
  • edited May 2016
    Brilliant idea! Would be good if a few people who play WSOP events also do this (I will pinch the idea for my diary if you have no objections). I have a few thoughts on the first hand you have posted. Kind of in the middle of a night off and having a few drinks with my other half so will reply when I can give a proper reply.
    Posted by markycash

Feel free Mark.

And if you can get the Vegas lads to do a similar thing, great!
  • edited May 2016
    This type of hand gets me into trouble quite often because I love suited connecters and I have asked the question a few times about just how far behind these hands are against pocket pairs and I think that putting your stack at risk on the hope of housing upif you are behind is worse than him starting aggressively with his hand and hitting
  • edited May 2016
    Hi Graham,

I learned this one the hard way in a similar pot in a WSOP PLO event. I was in the BB with TTxx and there were 2 limpers at the early stages (level 1 or 2). Flop comes down something like T2A rainbow and then one of the limpers says 'pot'. I repot right back at him without hesitation and he again says 'pot'. I think for a minute and my reasoning at the time is, the table has been fairly active and raisy preflop, if he had AA then he would have made some kind of raise preflop. I figure he 'could' have AT but more likely 22 and has maybe limped a double pair hand like 22kk 22qq etc and made bottom set. I therefore repot right back at him and the pot is like 400+ BBs. He flips his hand and shows the AA for top set, I am crushed, there is no miracle turn/river and I am out.

I feel there are a lot of parallels with this hand and your hand. I spoke to several other friends who are pros about the hand afterwards and they were in concensus that unless my opponent was a maniac (which he wasn't) then his range is so heavily polarised to AA in this spot.

You mentioned nothing much happened at level 1. If you don't have your opponent tagged as a maniac/complete amateur here then I think we have to be very worried later in this hand. The prelop call is a no brainer in my opinion. There is easily the implied odds there to call (although I would be slightly concerned about UTG 4betting but with these stack depths you can easily assess the hand again if this happens so I would therefore be snap calling the 900).

On the flop in this hand when faced with the 1800 bet I would be smooth calling this all day long for a few reasons. Firstly addressing the 'draw heavy' board. You 'should' be able to discount a lot of draws here. The flop is rainbow so no need to worry about flushes yet. I would be discounting 8T (yeah ironic I know), I would also be generally discounting TQ due to the preflop action. QK would be a bit of a strange one too, I can see UTG opening QKs maybe QKo (possibly 77 too) but I wouldn't have the original 3 bettor on QK or 77 but I guess UTG could have this and could have called the 3bet due to the pot odds offered (especially QKs).

All that said I think we can discount a lot of big drawing hands on this flop apart from maybe QK with the gutterball and 2 overs and maybe backdoor flush draws. In that scenario do we really need to massively chase out QKs for instance? I think we can let them catch up a bit and maybe hit top pair and extract a few chips. Hands like AA KK QQ 'shouldn't' be getting 330 BBs in on this flop. By flat calling it lets them offload more chips with these hands. They may bet a hell of a lot of chips if you flat call and they may try to 'chase you out' or protect their hand or value 2/3 barrel you with AA KK QQ even AJ but they shouldn't be shovelling in 330 BBs on this flop as played with these hands. Also even if the board straightens up or backdoor flushes come in, sometimes this will involve a paired board and if you have underrepped your hand then you could look to extrace a lot of chips regardless.

As played I would feel the villains 330 BB shovelling range is heavily weighted to JJ. If they got it all in I would be waiting to see the JJ. I mean 77 would have been possible for UTG or very aggro for UTG+1 as played (possible but quite aggro). JJ on the other hand would make complete sense and I think most of the time in such an event you manage to create a 660+ BB pot on the flop you are going to see JJ. If opponent has 77 then you would imagine he is flatting the 5400, either to let you fire off more chips or as they are concerned you have 99, JJ or overcalled with 8Ts.

Great it worked out but I don't think as played the chips are going all in on the flop with 99 ahead unless we are playing someone we have tagged as either a bit weak or a super TAG player.

Very interesting hand and again it is a great idea to post these!

P.S. I know he showed up with 8T here and I discounted this but I don't think you are seeing 8T here as played often enough to worry about it. JJ though is another matter as mentioned.
  • edited May 2016
    for me that hand is one where you need to look at the reads, if he looks a solid player whos taking it seriously then it would be hard to ever think you are ahead as im sure once you reraise then he will be flatting or folding his overpairs, even bottom set in that spot my flat too. 10 8 is very unlikely so personally id be a lot more worried about JJ. So if i was looking at him thinking he was a solid pro i think it has to be a fold, if he seems like an average or below player, or someone with more money than know-how then id be jamming too. the one other reason that I may call in your spot was if you had been playing a bit loose previously then your opponent could perceive you as the kind of player who may get it in with qq/kk as that would also mae up a big part of your range. It certainly isnt an obvious fold at all, but its hard to see too many good players stacking off light on that board.
  • edited May 2016
    Pretty sure I had a near identical hand in a tournament I played at DTD at some point. Possibly a UKPC. I think iirc I had 99 on J9x and they did have the JJ - unfortunately, I never out-drew them.

I think a lot of what marky said I agree with (particularly with regards to the flop being drawy) - the hands that are draws I wouldn't expect to be in a pre-flop range of any of the players. I don't hate the flop raise by any means, but I think flatting could be an interesting/better option - particularly (without wanting to offend!) given your percieved image => not a young internet 'kid', so possibly plays more straight forward (as viewed by no hands played in 1st level) - when you flat pre in your position a good player will often narrow your range down to medium-high pairs (so 77-JJ) which smash this board with 3 possible sets out of 5 and raising it should set off alarm bells for anyone holding an overpair.

When he re-raises to 18k like has been said I would be very worried about JJ. I don't think 8Ts is without the realms of possibility though if he thinks UTG is on the loose side. People love to create an aggro image, and I know I've made similar plays myself early on in tournaments with these non-broadway one gappers. (57s, 68s, 97s, T8s) - it's a hand that if it smashes the flop when you were the PF3bettor that is really disguised. And when you have a lot of chips you can afford to speculate by 3b these hands (as opposed to just flatting them - where he might get squeezed from behind and have to fold)

I think once he makes it 18k the only way you are ahead is if he is bluffing or has 77 (which I think is v unlikely for a number of reasons)

His only bluffs here should be 3 combos of QTs that have a back door flush draw and can semi-bluff jam the turn if you call their flop raise and they turn a FD. 

Against that range anyway we only have 36.3% equity - which means we should probably just fold now although it seems v close. However, I disagree also that if we decide not to fold that we can only shove. Yes, it's a lot of our stack in the middle after we call. But we still have 32k left? Which at level 2 is still plenty. We have position and can see what he does again OTT before making our decision. Suppose he does have JJ too and the turn is a T, 8 or perhaps a K. Whilst he might still think he has the best hand, he will be wary of betting again since he's likely then only being called by better hands. So, we have a decent chance of saving ourselves chips and not losing our entire stack. Sure, we could call flop and end up being bluffed off the best hand on say a T turn - but if we think of his range, is that really likely to happen? Even if we call now and call a blank turn and he does have JJ - at least we've given ourselves some chance to get away from it or for villain to put his stack in on a bluff.

I've wrote all this now more for myself - I don't really want to hijack the thread with mine and other people's strategy for each hand you post, unless that's something you don't mind. So I'll post this now I guess and hope you (and othes) find the reply useful!
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: StayOrGo UKPC Hand Review:
    OK, here is the first hand. I will details the "facts" about what happed (as best as I can recall from the recording) and after detailing the hand I will describe my thought processes. (Also if anyone is unsure of the abbreviations/terminology I use, please let me know) FIRST HAND ======== I hardly played a hand first level, so picking it up at the start of LEVEL2 : Early stages, everyone seemed quite solid, too early to fully understand player styles. Blinds 75/150 50K starting stack, no one busted yet. (Stacks all around 50K) My Starting Hand: 99 UTG, R to 350, UTG+1, RR to 900, I call 900 in the  CUTOFF , BB calls, UTG, calls. Flop: 79J rainbow BB checks, UTG, checks, UTG+1 (original 3bettor), bets about half pot (1,800), I re-raise to 5,400, BB folds, UTG, folds. UTG+1 makes it 18K, I go ALL IN, he calls. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- My thought process is as follows: PRE FLOP: 1) UTG+1 probably has a very strong hand to 3bet an UTG raise, at this stage of the tournament. So I put him on a range like, AQ,AK, TT,JJ,QQ,KK,AA. 2) I have 50K in chips which is plenty to allow me to set mine with my 99 in position. FLOP: 79J, Rainbow POST FLOP: 3) Clearly I have a great hand (3rd NUTS), so I am very happy when UTG+1 leads out, 1,800. There are however, two people to act after me, and it's a draw heavy board, (I don't want a random, 8x,Tx or KQ making a straight) so I decide to play it aggressively and make it 5,400. 4) It folds to the UTG+1(original 3bettor) and he makes it 18,000. I am a bit worried about, JJ now. To play the hand like this, this early in the tournament, is usually sign of a very strong hand. Being the pre flop 3-bettor, I can't feasibly put him on T8 in this spot. 5) So, it's all in or fold for me, I decide, if he has, JJ, it's just a cooler. I think he could play QQ,KK,AA like this, putting me on a hand like JT, JQ, so I move all in and he calls. SHOWDOWN: He has: Td8d Remarkably he does have T8 (The NUTS), but I house up with a Jack on the river. So I was nearly the first one out of the entire tournament, but doubled up instead. Fickle game this poker. :=) Feel free to provide thoughts/comments on this hand. Cheers, Graham
    Posted by StayOrGo

Preflop is fine / standard. Only negative to cold calling the 3bet is our range is pretty transparent. I expect u to have 88-JJ AQs / AK nearly always in this spot.

You made the comment "UTG+1 probably has a very strong hand to 3bet an UTG raise, at this stage of the tournament. So I put him on a range like, AQ,AK, TT,JJ,QQ,KK,AA".

I think this is too standard/dated a thought process. I disagree with the range you have asigned him. I think its completely standard for him to flat TT/JJ/QQ/AQ/AK. Some people wont even have much of a 3bet range at this stage of the torny.
    But yeh i think suited connectors and decent stuff like A2s - A5s is definately in his range. See the 3bet as more of an iso, ESPECIALLY if utg is a weaker player.

Flop raise is good and hard to not stack off as played. The degree of "happy" we are depends on the villain. If your stacking off 300+ bb with the 3rd nuts in level 2 of a 1k against someone decent, were not loving life... However if ur staking off 300bb against ali malu..... well, u get the idea  ;-)
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: StayOrGo UKPC Hand Review : Preflop is fine / standard. Only negative to cold calling the 3bet is our range is pretty transparent. I expect u to have 88-JJ AQs / AK nearly always in this spot. You made the comment "UTG+1 probably has a very strong hand to 3bet an UTG raise, at this stage of the tournament. So I put him on a range like, AQ,AK, TT,JJ,QQ,KK,AA". I think this is too standard/dated a thought process. I disagree with the range you have asigned him. I think its completely standard for him to flat TT/JJ/QQ/AQ/AK. Some people wont even have much of a 3bet range at this stage of the torny. But yeh i think suited connectors and decent stuff like A2s - A5s is definately in his range. See the 3bet as more of an iso, ESPECIALLY if utg is a weaker player. Flop raise is good and hard to not stack off as played. The degree of "happy" we are depends on the villain. If your stacking off 300+ bb with the 3rd nuts in level 2 of a 1k against someone decent, were not loving life... However if ur staking off 300bb against ali malu..... well, u get the idea  ;-)
    Posted by railtard11

On 2nd thughts, the flop raise is also player dependent. Vs ali malu, we wnt to be raising the flop to get it in, but vs someone decent i think i like calling the flop. Keeps our range wide and we dont get him to just fold AA face up (which someone capable will imo), ur range is SO STRONG on this board
  • edited May 2016
    Thanks for all the feedback and comments, that's the great thing about poker, we all can see things from a different perspective. It is not as clear cut, as being just, right or wrong.

I definately got away with one here. There is no doubt.

This is the first of many hands from the UKPC, so an interesting start. Clearly as we go forward, people may have differing views to myself, and this is fine, it's all about opinions and perspective.

I certainly don't feel that my opinion is always right, and others are wrong, however, I will continue to describe my thought processes and how I saw the particular hand in question. I am happy for others to offer there opinions and critique my play.

However, what I don't want to get into, is a I'm right, your wrong scenario (so I will try to leave the ego behind).

As such, in a lot of cases, we may just have to agree to differ in our evaluation of the hand in question. I certainly take onboard all the replies, and appreciate the feedback so far.

There are several ways to play hands, each having their own merits, this thread is how I chose to play the hand in question and why (I'n my own mind), I played it the way I did.

I will post hand number2 tomorrow.

Cheers,

G
  • edited May 2016
    Some of the answers given are really helpful for me its another level of thinking and it makes a lot more sense now when people were asking what was I trying to achieve by doing things in certain situations  next hand please
  • edited May 2016

What a great thread - well done Graham, thank you.

Note especially the comment by Marc -
     the Ali Mallu factor. Ali could have, literally, ANYTHING here.
  • edited May 2016
    Can't really add to the debate, but enjoying the read.

Thank you for sharing.
  • edited May 2016
    Taking notes about hands during live tourneys is something I have heard of plenty (Gus Hansen with his dictaphone springs to mind) but something I have never actually done.

Brilliant idea for game development which I will take on board for future live games.

I think the process of doing this will probably help you rationale any plays you make good or bad and move on to the subsequent hands with a more clear mind.

Looking forward to seeing your subsequent hands and thoughts behind your play, again thanks for sharing!

Hopefully everyone discussing/reading the analysis can take something from it.
  • edited May 2016
    Hi all,

For ease of finding the actual hands on the thread, I will post them in RED. I will also start each post with UKPC2016 FIRST HAND:, UKPC2016 SECOND HAND: and so on.

I have come to realise that doing three a night, is a bit ambitious, so I will just do one a night. This also allows some time for feedback and contemplation.

Also, this first hand, had much to discuss, most of the hands are not as "SEXY", however I will post them all, to give people an idea of the overall "journey." Also, what I consider to be "Standard Plays" may be useful to some people and also may not be considred "Standard" by others. So I will send THE GOOD, THE BAD, THE UGLY and the darn right BORING :=) and we can contemplate the lot! :=)

Cheers,

• edited May 2016
    What a great thread - well done Graham, thank you. Note especially the comment by Marc -   the Ali Mallu factor. Ali could have, literally, ANYTHING here .
    Posted by Tikay10

Thanks TK, it's good to give something back to Sky Players.

Gary, my son (Limp2Lose), and I remember learning SO MUCH from you back in the SkyPoker TV days.

In 2011, we changed from losing players to becoming winning players, and a lot of the credit for that should go to the advice you and your colleagues gave on Sky Poker TV.

In fact, I remember you being SO adamant, that Limping was generally a bad thing, that I suggested my son's username should be "LIMP2LOSE" to re-inforce your "message"

The way I see it. Sky Poker and all the Analysts enabled us to get our games to a "winning" standard, so we will always appreciate the help received. Giving a bit back to other Sky players is the least I can do.

Thanks again from both Gary and myself.

Cheers,

G
  • edited May 2016
    UKPC2016 SECOND  HAND:
    ==================

Blinds 75/150 Antie 25

Chip Count: 96K

Starting Hand: K3o

I open raise to 375 in the CUTOFF, get called by the Button, SB and BB fold.

Flop: A94 (two-tone)

I lead out 550, Button calls

Turn: Offsuit Jack (ie No Flush hit)

I lead again, 1.5K, Button folds.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My thought process is as follows:

PRE FLOP:

1) K3o is quite a wide open from the CUTOFF, but I hadn't played many hands, so my image at this stage was fairly tight, and I decided to get involved.

Flop: A94 (two-tone)

POST FLOP:

1) I led out, 550, half expecting a call, as my opponent had often called pre, and would often float the flop in position (His VPIP (Voluntarily Put into Pot) pre flop stat was around 40-50%)

Turn: offsuit Jack (ie No Flush hit)

POST TURN:

2) I led out again, this time making it 1.5K.

I had observed, a "float to take" philosophy in my opponent from previous hands. He would often call the flop in position, and then bet to take it down if checked to on the turn.

3) I always knew that this was probably going to require a double barrell, and was fairly confident that, with this particular opponent, there were more NON Ax hands, in his range, than Ax Hands. Plenty of 9x hands that would likely fold, and a decent sized bet, should also price him out of most draws.

Opponent folds.

Feel free to comment.

• edited May 2016
    Bullfight critics ranked in rows Crowd the enormous Plaza full: But he is the only one who knows- The man who fights the bull. Would be a great read, get em posted mate!
    Posted by ShaunyT

Hi Shauny.

Is this your own literary prowess or a quote from another? Great if yours, if not, who is the poet/writer/philosopher?

Either way, very good. :=) 

My response:

I'm ready for the critics, bring them here, I will not fight them, but hold them dear.
    I'll recollect my battle with the bull, the way I saw it, overall.
    The critics may help me, in battles new, I respect the advice, of quite a few. :=) 

TY
  • edited May 2016
    Hi Graham, Really intresting read on how the hand played out. I'm guessing you had no reads so early in the tourney on the villian but would this hand played out the same against a winning reg in a ME on Sky?
    Posted by Snuffer

Hi Snuffer, in answer to your question.

What I would do against a Sky Reg, would depend on, which Sky Reg it was.

Some good Sky players, could actually make a move on me in this spot (due to Meta game), where as others, it's always JJ.

I will not name who's/who for obvious reasons.

So I had to make a decision, with a lack of understanding of both ability and style of my opponent, which is why it ended up being a bit of a punt.

I simply didn't have enough information on my opponent, to know if my decision was +EV or not.

Cheers,

G
  • edited May 2016
    Had you been taking a note of everyone's VPIP up to the tournament to that point? That's a great idea that anyway :)

I think pre-flop is very bad - particularly with your read. K3o is just really a bad hand that you do not want to be playing with OOP. There are lots of hands we can be raising here if we want to get more involved - all the suited connectors for instance. Even raising some garbage suited hand (like T3s for instance) would probably* be better than opening with K3o. If BTN was tight, then maybe opening it becomes fine - but with his VPIP, it's definitely not.

Anyway, I suspect you probably already know the open was bad :) Most of us are guilty of making bad opens, particularly live after we've been card dead for a while. I think if you really wanted to play the hand I'd probably make a larger raise sizing (3-3.5x) to hopefully get rid of BTN. 

Flop - standard.
    Turn - I think this is an OK move to make with your reads and your image. I would probably be intending to fire out a large bet on certain rivers though since I think just betting turn alone is probably not going to be enough +ev. 
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: StayOrGo UKPC Hand Review: SECOND HAND NOW REVEALED:
    Had you been taking a note of everyone's VPIP up to the tournament to that point? That's a great idea that anyway :) I think pre-flop is very bad - particularly with your read. K3o is just really a bad hand that you do not want to be playing with OOP. There are lots of hands we can be raising here if we want to get more involved - all the suited connectors for instance. Even raising some garbage suited hand (like T3s for instance) would probably* be better than opening with K3o. If BTN was tight, then maybe opening it becomes fine - but with his VPIP, it's definitely not. Anyway, I suspect you probably already know the open was bad :) Most of us are guilty of making bad opens, particularly live after we've been card dead for a while. I think if you really wanted to play the hand I'd probably make a larger raise sizing (3-3.5x) to hopefully get rid of BTN.  Flop - standard. Turn - I think this is an OK move to make with your reads and your image. I would probably be intending to fire out a large bet on certain rivers though since I think just betting turn alone is probably not going to be enough +ev. 
    Posted by F_Ivanovic

Hi Ivan, thanks for the response.

I take a mental note of approx VPIP/PFR/3BET/C-BET/FOLD TO C-BET stats of each of my opponents, especially early on in tournaments. I watch every hand (whether I'm involved in it or not) vigorously to start with.

I'm actually completely happy with how I played this hand (rightly or wrongly, hopefully not being results orientated) :=)

So regarding your comment below in BLUE:

"Anyway, I suspect you probably already know the open was bad :) Most of us are guilty of making bad opens, particularly live after we've been card dead for a while. I think if you really wanted to play the hand I'd probably make a larger raise sizing (3-3.5x) to hopefully get rid of BTN."

Pre flop, if I open, I make it 375 with any hand.

I generally don't vary raise sizes too much.

This is so that no information regarding my hand type/strength can be gauged (from the bet size, atleast), as it would be the same for all my range.

Also regarding being out of position, I'm only OOP against a button call. I'm in position against either the SB or BB if they call.

Cheers for the feedback.

• edited May 2016
    I think just folding K3o pre is the better option, especially if you think the BTN has a VPIP of 40-50% cos he's just gonna call a lot and we're gonna be OOP with a hand that plays really terribly postflop.

As played, if you think he's floating loads and folding lots of turns then i guess you have to play it this way, but readless I think just a cbet and give up might be better.

What was your plan on different rivers if he'd called the turn?
  • edited May 2016
    I think just folding K3o pre is the better option, especially if you think the BTN has a VPIP of 40-50% cos he's just gonna call a lot and we're gonna be OOP with a hand that plays really terribly postflop. As played, if you think he's floating loads and folding lots of turns then i guess you have to play it this way, but readless I think just a cbet and give up might be better. What was your plan on different rivers if he'd called the turn?
    Posted by Lambert180

Hi Paul, my intention, based upon my experience of watching the player for an hour and  a half, was to fire two barrells (I decided this pretty much when I made the flop bet). I would give up on nearly all rivers.

One advantage of playing a wide range like this (with the same raise size), is that your opening range is balanced with monstors, premiums, marginals, suited connectors/one gappers, low pocket pairs, rag Kings and rag Aces, so it makes it very hard for people to "range you" just from one bet that is always the same amount.

Most people will not like how I played this, but I am happy with it for reasons I have stated. (It came off OK this time, but don't worry, I make plenty of plays that go wrong later, so plenty of chance to see the down side of this type of thing)

People can then decide for themselves overall, if they feel it's +EV or -EV.

Although as I previously alluded to, it's impossible to convey subliminal reads in this thread.

The feedback is all good. However, I won't forcibly try to defend every play I make, I am simply explaining my thought processes, and people can make their own judgements and are welcome to their own opinions.

There are a few hands further down the line, were I genuinely just didn't know what the best play was, on these particular hands, I am very much up for constructive criticsm.

Cheers,

G

• edited May 2016
    its the image i think your trying to keep here.  you said you have been very tight so he had to give you credit for the ace imo. def after you double barrell. 
    if he had the ace he prob raises flop anyway so hero hand is irrelavant.

i like this play and its something lots overdo or are frightened todo as OOP. 

well played sir

• edited May 2016
    I would echo what others have said generally. I would rather be raising with hands that play better post flop here, suited connectors, suited 1/2 gapers, and even come non suited connectors. With the BB's high VPIP I think this is even more important.

I can see what your thinking was and in the 'playing the opponent not the cards' sense, if you went with an informed plan that you could fire 2 bullets post flop and get him off then all good. I just would rather be doing it with hands that might nail the flop and provide a solid back up as obviously it will be hard to figure out how you stand in the hand on the vast majority of flops, even kxx.

As you hinted at, you were in the best position to judge the player etc considering you had been playing with him for a while.
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: StayOrGo UKPC Hand Review: SECOND HAND NOW REVEALED :  Pre flop, if I open, I make it 375 with any hand. I generally don't vary raise sizes too much. This is so that no information regarding my hand type/strength can be gauged (from the bet size, atleast), as it would be the same for all my range. Also regarding being out of position, I'm only OOP against a button call. I'm in position against either the SB or BB if they call. Cheers for the feedback.
    Posted by StayOrGo
    As a general strategy, this is obviously fine. But we should be willing to adjust and exploit based on our opponents at the table. If we have a loose BTN who is going to be calling us very wide, then  entire range (assuming fairly tight) would benefit from opening larger so that we create a bigger pot pre-flop and hence can make a bigger pot post-flop (where we will win a bigger % of it more often than not)

In a vacuum where this is the only hand we have opened this size, none of your opponents will know what this means. They might assume you have a strong but vulnerable hand like JJ/TT, which suits us fine. Also, continuing on to future situations, there is no reason we can't be balanced with 2 opening raise sizes either here if you just split your ranges well. Just a very rough example: 3x: KK, TT, JJ, A8o-AKo, A2-A7s, KQs, KJo, 22-77, suited one gappers, garbage (like your K3o) And then 2.25x (or w/e your standard sizing) everything else (AA, QQ, 88,99, As8s-AsKs, KQo, KsJs, suited connectors.

You're not going to get all them hands in game obviously, so no-one is going to get much of a read on what your different open-sizes mean. But if they think your range is X based on what you've shown down, throw in a curveball :)
  • edited May 2016
    I would echo what others have said generally. I would rather be raising with hands that play better post flop here, suited connectors, suited 1/2 gapers, and even come non suited connectors. With the BB's high VPIP I think this is even more important. I can see what your thinking was and in the 'playing the opponent not the cards' sense, if you went with an informed plan that you could fire 2 bullets post flop and get him off then all good. I just would rather be doing it with hands that might nail the flop and provide a solid back up as obviously it will be hard to figure out how you stand in the hand on the vast majority of flops, even kxx. As you hinted at, you were in the best position to judge the player etc considering you had been playing with him for a while.
    Posted by markycash

Hi Mark,

Hands like these always get a plethora of views from various people. To some people raising with such hands is just a no-no, to others it's routine, and to some it's, ok now and again.

It's impossible to justify actions to all camps, which is why my "plays" will always receive mixed reviews. My request of people, is to not look at things as wholely Good or wholely Bad, but to consider plays with an open mind (even if it seems completely bizaar to you)

I would love to be able to justify to every individual, why I think something is +ev, but will never be able to convince all. So I just offer my opinion/thoughts and people can dismiss it or consider it as they see fit.

Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,

G
  • edited May 2016
    did you consider going for a check raise bluff on the turn?

• edited May 2016
    golden thread this keep em coming please
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: StayOrGo UKPC Hand Review: SECOND HAND NOW REVEALED : Hi Mark, Hands like these always get a plethora of views from various people. To some people raising with such hands is just a no-no, to others it's routine, and to some it's, ok now and again. It's impossible to justify actions to all camps, which is why my "plays" will always receive mixed reviews. My request of people, is to not look at things as wholely Good or wholely Bad, but to consider plays with an open mind (even if it seems completely bizaar to you) I would love to be able to justify to every individual, why I think something is +ev, but will never be able to convince all. So I just offer my opinion/thoughts and people can dismiss it or consider it as they see fit. Thanks for the feedback. Cheers, G
    Posted by StayOrGo

Careful. You may get labelled "The Madman" for your maniac style of play ;-)

Great thread - loving it.