You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

StayOrGo UKPC Hand Review: HAND 59: DEJA VU. DO YOU CALL AN ALL IN WITH POCKET JACKS HERE?

Comments

• edited May 2016
    Flop/turn seem very opponent dependant, i also agree that the river is a bet fold, the only way i would bet call was if you donked out a very small bet (around 3k or less) in hope of repping a blocker bet with a small flush and inducing a bluff raise. 

good thread so far!
  • edited May 2016
    me i lead out on flop and no idea how id fold river there with nut flush for only 7k? way out of my league 

is this the same button guy who likes a float as in other hand?

loving tis thread really helpful 

thanks

micky
  • edited May 2016
    It amazes me that some views given already are an essay to how you should/could of played a hand given the maths etc etc. Surely sometimes you just have to go with your instinct/feel for the situation due to not having very much time before you have to act?

I find the instinct/feel stuff really interesting when it comes to poker, I think this is why studying these spots is important and effective in improving quickly as a player. I think Your "gut instinct, feel" is a subconscious accumulation of positive and negative reinforcement in these spots, for example you might bet call in a spot 20 times and lose 16 times, then because of the repeated negative reinforcement in that situation your brain learns not to do so though experience, so over time you naturally become a better poker player just by playing over and over but its a much slower process, obviously this varies massively player to player based on so many different variables in the skillset of a human such as how quick they naturally learn from mistakes etc. 

This (I think) explains why some poker players can absolutely boss the game "naturally" as the skillset they have allows them to adapt/ find solutions alot quicker than the "average" person through experience. Studying these spots just speeds up the process so instead of learning after the 20th time you are confident by say the 5th time, so its just bringing closer how accurate the connection is between your subconscious reaction (gut instinct/feeling etc) and the technical conscious analysis you make in the short time you have to make a decision. I think this explains why in really close spots even bosses decide to go with an initial "gut feeling" as they are basically reverting back to the subconsciously accumulated info from years of playing. 
  • edited May 2016

Very good post Benc, thank you.
  • edited May 2016
    Good post Benc.

I wasn't going to comment on this hand, but it's like I've got an obsession and can't stop! Anyway pre, flop and turn are all fine ofc. I am mostly betting flop but x/c is fine too and is something I would do some of the time.

However, I'm not sure that leading the river is my preffered play. When you lead out, your hand looks exactly like what it is - either nut or 2nd nut flush (probably expects you to have AKc or AQc) a fair amount. Do you have any bluffs that play this way as I can't really imagine too many? So if villain is good, do you think he will pay you off with 7x (of which as you pointed out very few are non-FH anyway!) or a low flush (Tc or lower? - he might also fold his J high flush)

Which means, we're only really getting value all the time from a Q high flush - and that's a hand that will likely bet for value itself after you check. He might also go for thin value with a J high flush if he thinks you are going to lead K/Q high flushes here. So vs his value hands that we beat, we likely get almost the same value from betting as checking. But by checking we also:

- Allow him to bluff
    - Save ourselves money/a decision if villain decides to go for a raise after we lead.

If we think our opponent is such that he will almost never be bluffing river or capable of thin value-betting a J and is v likely to call quite a few worse hands then I think we can make an exploitative lead on the river. You never gave us any reads for this hand, so maybe that was what you thought at the time in which case I do like your river bet. Theory/range wise against a good opponent is where I would not like it.

As played, it's an ugh spot that I'm probably not capable of folding except when I'm playing my A game! Too much good odds/sigh call. But I agree with what's been said about his range here.

• edited May 2016
    I 100% think a flop lead is the best for two reasons, for value obviously because he will check back so many hands that we beat that would feel obligated to call. And it also serves as a nice blocker bet because he would have to be a total maniac to raise bluff. You raised pre and c/c two streets and then led the river. You look immensely strong so any raise we can be 99% certain we are beat by a FH. 

As for the flop, I think we can bet this and get called by a lot of worse hands like PP's, draws and floats so we are missing value here. By all means we can pot control turn. 
  • edited May 2016
    Hi all, just answering some of the collective questions in this one post.

Unfortunately I didn't record any notes about the player on my phone. This leads me to believe, he was probably a standard/solid player. It wouldn't have been the same guy as in the K3o hand as he was on the button when I was in the cutoff and on this occasion, I was on the H-Jack. Also if it was the same guy, I'm sure i would have recorded it. I have no vivid recollection of the scenario, so I just have my limited recording to go on.

It looks like most players think the river was a lead, although it appears a mixed response still, so the jury is still out.

I will briefly address why I check/called the flop, rather than lead. Although, as I alluded to before, I am more concerned about/interested in, the river dilemna.

So, reasons for check/calling flop.

When this deepstacked, if I lead on this flop and I am re-raised, it is a very difficult situation. My opponent may have any of the following:

1) 7x
    2) Full House
    3) Flush and/or Straight Draw
    4) Lower Pocket Pair
    5) Bluff (These ar quite good spots to re-raise bluff imo)
    6) 8x

I would be oblidged to call the re-raise, but still with no idea which of the above he has.

I would absolutely expect him to bet on most turn's and river's, and each of the bet sizes will be significantly inflated due to the initial flop action. So one of two things could happen. 1) I lose a MASSIVE POT 2) I get bluffed off the hand

By check/calling the flop, I can get to showdown without too bad a dent in my stack. This to me outways the benefits of betting that have been suggested (ie getting value against worse and protecting my hand against a draw.

Clearly, in this scenario, if I led out on the turn and was re-raised, it could have ended up being more of a set back than it already was.

So I feel, I played this hand well on flop and turn, but poorly on the river.

If I'd have check/called or bet/folded the river, and just lost 9K in total, I' would have considered that a successful outcome.

So the river was either a check/call or a bet/fold, but not a bet/call. So I lost 7k more than I needed to, however, it could have been a bigger set back, if the pot was inflated due to a flop lead.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

G
  • edited May 2016
    I listened to someone coaching (albeit broadly) say, when you're not sure if you should check or bet, just bet. His reasoning was that by the river few players are inclined to turn thin value into bluffs and may pay you off.  The flip side is that when they raise for value we have to be prepared to find the fold.  This bit is the bit I have a problem with sometimes!  I think roughly to call the flop raise we need to be right 33% of the time, doesn't sound much but when you deconstruct his range here (in game) as some have above, you'd probably find that there just aren't enough bluffs to make this call be at least break even.

Another interesting spot. 50-odd hands to go!
  • edited May 2016
    UKPC2016 FOURTH  HAND:
    ==================

Blinds 100/200 Antie 25

Chip Count: 80K

Starting Hand: 8s9s

UTG+2 raises to 450, HJ calls, Button calls, I call in the SB, BB calls.

Flop: 5s6h7d

I check, BB checks, UTG+2 (original raiser) bets 800, HJ folds, Button folds, I call, BB calls.

Turn: 7h

I check, BB bets 1.5K, UTG+2, calls, I raise to 8k, both fold.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My thought processes were as follows:

PRE FLOP:

1) I think this is a standard call pre flop in a multi-way pot at this blind level.

Flop: 5s6h7d

POST FLOP:

2) So I flop the NUTS. Being first to act in a five way pot, I check to disguise my hand strength, with a reasonable confidence level, that someone will bet for me.

3) The original raiser then makes it 800, with both the HJ and Button folding, I'm happy to just call to keep my customer. I'm also more than happy when I see the BB call.

Turn: 7h

POST TURN:

4) Not overly enamoured to see the board pair, I check, still fairly confident that I am ahead, BB bets 1.5k, (This looks like a possible 7 to me), UTG+2 calls (overpair maybe), I decide to make it 8k, and they both fold.

5) I had to keep playing this recording back, because 8k seems uncharacteristically big, for me, in this spot. I've no idea why I made it so much. There is an element of "protection against potential rivered flushes or houses" in the bet, but I think 6k would have been more appropriate.

Obviously there was a concern about the board pairing again, but I still think that 8k was too much. There must have been some condition/dynamic that caused me to go to 8k, but unsure what that was. Maybe I was thinking if I make it 8k and someone comes over the top of me, I will know I am behind.

Feel free to comment on any part, but particularly interested in thoughts regarding the sizing of the turn bet.

Cheers,

G
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: StayOrGo UKPC Hand Review: THIRD HAND NOW REVEALED:
    Morning Graham. Just posting to say I too am enjoying this thread. Really hope you stick with it and keep giving us your thoughts on each hand. You will get 'experts' disagreeing with you on a lot of decisions and what not, but that is part of the course when these things come up. Just a couple of basic questions from me (as I don't play live as much as I would like). Do you always rack up in your head what is in the pot if you are in the hand? It amazes me that some views given already are an essay to how you should/could of played a hand given the maths etc etc. Surely sometimes you just have to go with your instinct/feel for the situation due to not having very much time before you have to act? Cheers, Alan
    Posted by MAXALLY

Hi, thx Alan.

When I first started playing live, I had this same problem. I was always asking the dealer to spread the pot, so I could count it. Later, realising that this was really "novicy" I started to get a better feel for it. So it became naturally more instinctive.

I think this just comes from experience mate. I would say, that if you struggle, try and calculate it in BB's. So if a guy min raises and gets 4 callers including the blinds then there is 10BB's, plus probably 1BB in anties, in the pot. It's easier than counting big numbers.

Incidentally, since then, I sometimes ask the dealer to spread the pot after my opponent has bet on say the turn, to make it look like I'm trying to see if I have the odds to call on a draw, when in fact I have a made hand. So I may do it for deception.

Cheers,

G
  • edited May 2016
    Yeah I'm definitely coming along preflop with 89s

The flop/turn seems a bit backwards to me, like if I HAD to raise one or the other it'd definitely be the flop. I think the flop is a decent spot for us to raise, certainly not a mandatory raise though. However if we do flat, I don't think we should raise when the board pairs. 

We're just really over-repping our hand imo and making it difficult for us to get called by worse... like I wouldn't be surprised if most fold all their OPs facing this line. I think we can only really get called by 7x on the turn which is only gonna be a small part of their range.
  • edited May 2016
    did you not consider leading the flop?? that is definitely my preferred move in that spot, I dont think you give away your strength, as you could have a set, 2 pair, different straights, even one pair and a draw etc. also by leading out you give your opponents a chance to rerarise you which would be great news for you.

As played on the turn its a really tough spot about what the best line is, once its paired id probably flat call, although there defintely are merrits to raising. 

Would you have been snap calling a jam over the top then?
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: StayOrGo UKPC Hand Review: FOURTH HAND NOW REVEALED:
    did you not consider leading the flop?? that is definitely my preferred move in that spot, I dont think you give away your strength, as you could have a set, 2 pair, different straights, even one pair and a draw etc. also by leading out you give your opponents a chance to rerarise you which would be great news for you. As played on the turn its a really tough spot about what the best line is, once its paired id probably flat call, although there defintely are merrits to raising.  Would you have been snap calling a jam over the top then?
    Posted by jordz16
    Hi Jordz, personally I wouldn't lead the flop here, in this spot, being first to act with 4 opponents behind me. Although each to their own.

I just don't see the need to. I much prefer checking, and then seeing what happens with the other 4 guys. Yes it is possible everyone checks, which would be a shame, but I don't see that as likely. So I am just deferring my flop action until after someone else bets. Regarding, what I do if someone comes over the top of my turn 3bet. As I alluded too in my original assessment of this hand, I would almost certainly fold. (Although depends upon the opponent to some degree)

Cheers,

G

• edited May 2016
    Yeah I'm definitely coming along preflop with 89s The flop/turn seems a bit backwards to me, like if I HAD to raise one or the other it'd definitely be the flop. I think the flop is a decent spot for us to raise, certainly not a mandatory raise though. However if we do flat, I don't think we should raise when the board pairs.  We're just really over-repping our hand imo and making it difficult for us to get called by worse... like I wouldn't be surprised if most fold all their OPs facing this line. I think we can only really get called by 7x on the turn which is only gonna be a small part of their range.
    Posted by Lambert180

Hi Paul, thanks for the feedback.

My reason for just check/calling on the flop, was simply to keep players in and "build" the pot. It would have been such a shame if I check/raised the flop and they both folded, as a check raise on this flop looks very strong.

With the BB calling too, this significantly increased the pot size. I then went for the check/raise option on the turn, to protect my hand and/or get value from a 7.

Cheers,

G
  • edited May 2016
    have not chirped in on any hands yet but really enjoying this thread!
  • edited May 2016
    have not chirped in on any hands yet but really enjoying this thread!
    Posted by Itsover4u

N1!
  • edited May 2016
    UKPC2016 FIFTH  HAND:
    ================

Blinds 100/200 Antie 25

Chip Count: 85K

Starting Hand: AKo

I raise to 475, from UTG+2, it folds to the BB, who re-raises to 1,250. I 4bet to 3,100, he folds.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fairly standard hand, my thought processes were as follows:

PRE FLOP:

1) I think this is a standard play at this blind level. If, he 5bet, I'd consider all options. Whether I 6bet, called the 5bet or folded would have been opponent specific.

As this is a fairly basic encounter, I thought I'd details some of my stats. (This is from Holdem Manager on my PokerStars account for 9 handed tables over 125K hands.

VPIP: 25.3%
    PFR:   20.5%
    3bet:  9.75%

It's fair to say, that this is probably slightly more aggressive than standard for full ring games. Anyone who I have helped/coached that wishes to adopt a similar style to myself, I have suggested that the most important factor, is that they don't call too much. So I am looking for a maximum of 5% difference between VPIP and PFR.

I have no capability of recording Sky stats, but on Sky, with 6 handed tables, my stats would probably be something like:

VPIP: 35%
    PFR:   30%
    3bet:  12%

So clearly when discussing hands, particularly, opening ranges, people who are in the 15/10/5 camp will have way differing views. (Hence contention over the 1st hand, K3o open, for example)

Also, paradoxically, as a general rule (bit of a sweeping statement), but the more aggressive the players are, the more likely they are, to "slow play" big hands post flop (even risk getting outdrawn.) Conversely, tighter players, are more likely to play their monsters aggressively.

As I said it's a generic statement, but worth looking out for this pattern.

Hand 6, tomorrow, is against Neil Channing :=)

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

G

• edited May 2016
    Hand 4

pre - tick
    flop - tick
    turn - concept - tick
    turn - amount - interesting

I can see a rationale for it - make it look a bit polarised, although not sure if folding therafter then works
    guess it depends on the table dynamic, and i'm assuming there might have been someone involved who had been calling light ..
  • edited May 2016
    Really good read and fair play for putting these hands up for debate.

If you are taking suggestions maybe don't reveal the outcome until after the replies.

A lot of good players saying after the fact what you should or could have done .

In play with your reads I think you should leave it open to debate where you have a choice to make be it flop , turn or river.

In general people will always skew their thinking to the right outcome ( or most probable outcome ( pokerstove ) when results are known .

Not doubting the vast knowledge of the replies but when the outcome is known players answers are not what would happen in play.

Just my take. Flame away.

Pat

• edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: StayOrGo UKPC Hand Review: FIFTH HAND NOW REVEALED:
    Really good read and fair play for putting these hands up for debate. If you are taking suggestions maybe don't reveal the outcome until after the replies. A lot of good players saying after the fact what you should or could have done . In play with your reads I think you should leave it open to debate where you have a choice to make be it flop , turn or river. In general people will always skew their thinking to the right outcome ( or most probable outcome ( pokerstove ) when results are known . Not doubting the vast knowledge of the replies but when the outcome is known players answers are not what would happen in play. Just my take. Flame away. Pat
    Posted by day4eire76

Cheers Pat.

Yeh, that's probably not a bad idea, for some of the hands anyway. It may however drag out the process even more. Probably will be two months before it's finished, but I guess that's not a problem.

G
  • edited May 2016
    Following on from Pat's suggestion, I am going to do the next hand piece meal.

To give us a head start, I'll start it off now.

I'll allow 12 hours from now (3PM Saturday) for people to respond regarding their suggested Post flop play, then I will divulge the action I took. This hand involves Neil Channing, so no need to describe, player style etc. Although there is also one other player involved, who was fairly solid.

UKPC2016 SIXTH  HAND:
    ==================

Blinds 150/300 Antie 25

Chip Count: 87K

Starting Hand: 6s7s

UTG+1 raises to 700, UTG+2 calls, CutOff calls (Neil Channing), I call in the SB, BB calls.

Flop: ThTc7h

I check, BB checks, UTG+1 raises to 1.5K, UTG+2 folds, Neil calls.

ON ME: ???????

So what do we do here?

• edited May 2016
    Good suggestion about not revealing the hand outcome straight away. This crossed my mind the other day, it can definitely sway opinion a tad more towards being overly results orientated and result in slightly less objective feedback when the outcome is know right away. Obviously this isn't as important for standard spots.

Regarding the AK hand... I probably flat the 3bet for pot control in this spot (depending on the opponents stack obviously). I think this is just down to styles though as you said you are 'probably a bit more aggressive than standard'. I like to be active but in a small ball fashion when the stack sizes allow it. I feel when I am playing my best I try to give my opponents more rope to hang themselves or bleed off chips by flatting and playing more postflop. Again if I am playing decent I would be hoping to get more action post flop from weaker aces or maybe get a lot of pocket pairs off their hands post flop even if the AK doesn't connect.

Again I am not suggesting for a second that the 4bet was in some way wrong I think this is just down to styles and there are pros and cons both ways.

Looking forward to the upcoming hands and once again, great thread!
  • edited May 2016

Might just be the best thread ever, & definitely TOTW.

Great stuff Graham, excellent in every way.  

• edited May 2016
    Following on from Pat's suggestion, I am going to do the next hand piece meal. To give us a head start, I'll start it off now. I'll allow 12 hours from now (3PM Saturday) for people to respond regarding their suggested Post flop play, then I will divulge the action I took. This hand involves Neil Channing, so no need to describe, player style etc. Although there is also one other player involved, who was fairly solid. UKPC2016 SIXTH  HAND: ================== Blinds 150/300 Antie 25 Chip Count: 87K Starting Hand: 6s7s UTG+1 raises to 700, UTG+2 calls, CutOff calls (Neil Channing), I call in the SB, BB calls. Flop: ThTc7h I check, BB checks, UTG+1 raises to 1.5K, UTG+2 folds, Neil calls. ON ME: ??????? So what do we do here?
    Posted by StayOrGo
    Ok, I'll have a go. Standard call pre. I don't think we can call flop bet with the value of our hand because even if we are ahead against at least two opponents (3 if BB calls) we are not going to know where we are on turn and river. We also have no real way to improve. We can't make two pair, a flush or straight and no garentee a 7 wins the hand either so for the standard play is to fold. 

If we raise our 7 we are hoping to take the pot then and there but how often do we think that will get through? If we get called then How do we feel about shutting down? Problem there is we can be called quite wide and either end up folding best hand or getting in to trouble against a strong hand. We just don't know, I feel we would be guessing far too much. 

I think fold flop, we called to try and hit something with a lot more equity than just bottom or on a paired board multi way with straight and FD on it. 
  • edited May 2016
    Following on from Pat's suggestion, I am going to do the next hand piece meal. To give us a head start, I'll start it off now. I'll allow 12 hours from now (3PM Saturday) for people to respond regarding their suggested Post flop play, then I will divulge the action I took. This hand involves Neil Channing, so no need to describe, player style etc. Although there is also one other player involved, who was fairly solid. UKPC2016 SIXTH  HAND: ================== Blinds 150/300 Antie 25 Chip Count: 87K Starting Hand: 6s7s UTG+1 raises to 700, UTG+2 calls, CutOff calls (Neil Channing), I call in the SB, BB calls. Flop: ThTc7h I check, BB checks, UTG+1 raises to 1.5K, UTG+2 folds, Neil calls. ON ME: ??????? So what do we do here?
    Posted by StayOrGo

I feel like we should probably just fold.  I don't imagine the preflop raiser is going to cbet 5 way without any kind of equity and if we imagine a lot of his range from opening from early position is going to be weighted to stronger holdings I think he could have a fair amount of overpairs. Neil can have a wider range when he calls here, from Tx to 7x to straight draws and flush draws and will probably be willing to make some moves on certain runouts. We just have a marginal holding that can't improve or stand much (if any) heat on future streets. Also being out of position makes it even more difficult 
  • edited May 2016
    Initially it certainly looks like a standard fold.

On deeper inspection there is room for a play here. The original raiser definitely doesnt need to have a T here and I feel is weighted to pocket pairs as the cbet into so many people with a missed Ax wouldn't be the best. I would imagine neil will balance his range here and be flatting or floating with open enders, FD's, pairs and also 10's. So I would wouldn't say either player has to have a T here. The original raiser may check the flop with a T or 77 or TT for obvious reasons and if either does have the T then I would feel it is more likely to be Neil. A reraise here would look strong as it is multiway and several players have seen the flop. You still have the BB to act but I guess you will find out soon enough if he has a T.

The reraise would look strong but I think it would have to be followed up on the turn by firing another barrel as the hands we would be trying to fold are probably going to be pretty strong hands/ pocket pairs. By reraising the flop and firing the turn I think it would be difficult for anything but a T or pocket TT/77 to continue. Pocket 7's or T's are less likely as obviously it would be the case cards.

I just have a feeling you are not folding here.

It would certainly be creative to do anything here but it would look like a very strong hand if you do make a play, your holdings are also not cards that you would be likely to lose more than the reraise and turn barrel with and get into trouble for stacks with.

Just trying to give another angle on it as the standard line seems to be instafold.

Even if it goes wrong and you lose a small amount, it will help balance your reraising range in similar spots and may result in you getting paid off big if you do nail one.
  • edited May 2016
    Thanks for the thoughts. I'm off to the Theatre, and won't be back until 8pm, so a little more time if anyone else wants to comment.

Cheers,

G
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: StayOrGo UKPC Hand Review: FIFTH HAND REVEALED AND SIXTH HAND PARTIALLY REVEALED (AGAINST NEIL CHANNING):
    Might just be the best thread ever, & definitely TOTW. Great stuff Graham, excellent in every way.    
    Posted by Tikay10

Cheers TK, much appreciated. :=)

BTW, I'm not great with theses acronyms. TOTW? Which one of these beauties did you mean TK? lol

Rank Abbr.Meaning
    TOTWTaste of the Wild
    TotWTales of the World (game)
    TOTWTopic of the Week
    TOTWTop of the World
    TOTWTemple of Three Winds (Anarchy Online Mmorpg location)
    TOTWTwist of the Wrist (motorcycles)
    TOTWTreasures of the Web
    TOTWTake Over the World
    TOTWTune of the Week (radio shows)
    TOTWThoughts of the Week
    TOTWTrance Around the World (radio show)
    TOTWTutorial of the Week
    TOTWTop of the Week
    TOTWTeam of the Week
  • edited May 2016

^^^^

TOTW = Thread Of The Week
  • edited May 2016
    Posted by StayOrGo

personally id just fold, my guess is you are ahead a decent chunk of the time, but there are so few good turn cards for you that i think its best to pass, especially being out of position too.

I also agree that its best not to reveal the outcome straight away as it leaves more room for discussion.