You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

StayOrGo UKPC Hand Review: HAND 59: DEJA VU. DO YOU CALL AN ALL IN WITH POCKET JACKS HERE?

Comments

• edited June 2016
    In Response to Re: StayOrGo UKPC Hand Review: HANDS 24 TO 28 NOT REVEALED. 29TH HAND IS REVEALED:
    Im again with you. I think this is firmly in the fold or reraise catagory. Not only is it another one of these hands where if we get 4 bet we can easily fold this and it has the added benefit that we are raising from a precieved strong position, ie the SB. We are saying we have a hand we want to play even though we know we will be OOP so therefore we must be very strong. Its a position where we are rarely going to get bluff 4 bet and we can as Graham said take it down a lot of the time with a C bet and if we do happen to flop a set then it will be so disguised we could do serious damage to an opponents stack.
    Posted by CraigSG1
    That's the beauty of poker-there is often no "right" way to play. I am not worried about a 4-bet bluff-I'm worried about any bet when I am likely to have a 2-outer out of position v a tight player whose range is probably better than 5 5 and someone as skilled as Mr Spittles. Looks spewy to me
  • edited June 2016
    In Response to Re: StayOrGo UKPC Hand Review: HANDS 24 TO 28 NOT REVEALED. 29TH HAND IS REVEALED:
    In Response to Re: StayOrGo UKPC Hand Review: HANDS 24 TO 28 NOT REVEALED. 29TH HAND IS REVEALED : That's the beauty of poker-there is often no "right" way to play. I am not worried about a 4-bet bluff-I'm worried about any bet when I am likely to have a 2-outer out of position v a tight player whose range is probably better than 5 5 and someone as skilled as Mr Spittles. Looks spewy to me
    Posted by Essexphil
    I understand what you are saying, I'm just talking in general. i would probably just fold here v a tight player. 
  • edited June 2016
    I think we can assume that while tight, there are still more 2 high card combos in the button opener's range than pairs?

In which case we could well be ahead already, and if Graham "feels" he would fold to a c-bet, it sounds like they have appeared to be a fit/fold player on the flop. 

Against a tight and perceived weaker player than me, I would be raising 55 here most of the time. 
  • edited June 2016
    In Response to Re: StayOrGo UKPC Hand Review: HANDS 24 TO 28 NOT REVEALED. 29TH HAND IS REVEALED : That's the beauty of poker-there is often no "right" way to play. I am not worried about a 4-bet bluff-I'm worried about any bet when I am likely to have a 2-outer out of position v a tight player whose range is probably better than 5 5 and someone as skilled as Mr Spittles. Looks spewy to me
    Posted by Essexphil

Thanks for the feedback Phil.

I think 90% of the time Ryan folds here, when faced with a raise and a re-raise. In fact I would expect them both to fold > 70% of the time.

There is actually an argument to make this play with any two in this spot, however, of course if you do that all the time, then it would be noticed.

However 55 is significantly ahead of the range of a button raise imo, even if the player is tight.

Cheers,

G

• edited June 2016
    I think we can assume that while tight, there are still more 2 high card combos in the button opener's range than pairs? In which case we could well be ahead already, and if Graham "feels" he would fold to a c-bet, it sounds like they have appeared to be a fit/fold player on the flop.  Against a tight and perceived weaker player than me, I would be raising 55 here most of the time. 
    Posted by Phantom66

Cheers for this Phantom.

I think there is a report to get this information in HM2, but I can't find it atm.

ie, how many times when I open raise on the button is it a pocket pair.

However, regarding our opponent, I would say he has a pocket pair 20% of the time and if he is raising with all pockets, that would mean 14% of the time he has an over-pair. So I'd say we are ahead of the button 86% of the time.

However, the really important stat is how often does he fold to a 3bet when he raises from the button/cutoff. Clearly when you play live, or on Sky, there is no software for this (fortunately), but these are the things one should be paying attention to.

I can't remember now what his "fold to 3bet" stats were, but I was probably quite confident that he would fold.

I have just found a horrifying stat on HM2 for my Stars account. That stat is that I lose more chips when on the button, than any other table position. This is horrendous, as it should always be the BB then the SB that are the biggest "natural losses".

I think my stats for this are so poor, as one of the blinds often 3bets and I fold. Note to self, "TIGHTEN UP MY BUTTON RAISES" (at least on Stars anyway)

I suspect I am not the only one guilty of this, but the extent is staggering. Glad I have spotted that leak, so thanks for bringing this up Phantom.

FYI. My button raises get 3bet much more on Stars than  Sky, this is for two reasons:

1: it's 9 max
    2: The standard Stars player is more aggressive in the blinds, than his Sky counterpart.

Cheers,

G

• edited June 2016
    In Response to Re: StayOrGo UKPC Hand Review: HANDS 24 TO 28 NOT REVEALED. 29TH HAND IS REVEALED : I understand what you are saying, I'm just talking in general. i would probably just fold here v a tight player. 
    Posted by CraigSG1

Thanks for the feedback Craig.

I would agree with you if it was an early table position raise, where it is probably a fold or call depending on stack sizes, however against a button raise 55 is so often ahead of even a tight player, that a fold would be too passive imo.

Cheers,

G
  • edited June 2016
    In Response to Re: StayOrGo UKPC Hand Review: HANDS 24 TO 28 NOT REVEALED. 29TH HAND IS REVEALED : My button raises get 3bet much more on Stars than  Sky, this is for two reasons: 1: it's 9 max 2: The standard Stars player is more aggressive in the blinds, than his Sky counterpart. Cheers, G
    Posted by StayOrGo
    and 3. There are antes on Stars, so more in the pot
  • edited June 2016
    UKPC2016 THIRTIETH TO THIRTY_FIFTH  HANDS:
    =================================

Blinds 1000/2000 Antie 300

Chip Count: 140K

Once again detail on these hands is sadly lacking, however I increased my chip stack to 195k by 3betting pre in a couple of spots and open raises that got through. Four of these hands never got as far as the flop and two went to the flop, where I successfully C-bet.

Anyhow my chip stack is now 195K

Cheers,

G
  • edited June 2016
    In Response to Re: StayOrGo UKPC Hand Review: HANDS 24 TO 28 NOT REVEALED. 29TH HAND IS REVEALED : and 3. There are antes on Stars, so more in the pot
    Posted by Essexphil

Very True and probably the most significant point.

Cheers Phil.
  • edited June 2016
    the 55 hand. is calling a leak and should 3-betting be the norm if you want to better yourself at the game,curious
    agression is key i suppose
  • edited June 2016
    I agree that the 55 hand is down to styles and there is more than one way to play it. In this exact situation I would never be folding to the initial BTN open. I would mostly be calling and hoping/expecting the BB to come along too due to the pot odds they are getting which enhances the implied odds. Obviously there is an added benefit that if there is a 3bet from the BB (depending on the sizing) there may also be decent implied odds to set mine. I would also be treating this as more than a set mining exercise versus a 'tight button' and looking to get tricky post flop if possible.

Fully appreciate that with your style you personally prefer to 3bet here, personally I would flat though with these stack sizes. If BTN opener was short then it is a different proposition.
  • edited June 2016
    the 55 hand. is calling a leak and should 3-betting be the norm if you want to better yourself at the game,curious agression is key i suppose
    Posted by stokefc

Hi Stoke.

I feel this to be true, as I said before, I would nearly always 3bet here.

However there are several good players that advocate calling, but for me it is a 3bet 90% of the time.

It is style dependant to a degree, however, personally I would strongly advise 3betting here, most of the time.

I think you take it down there and then 70% of the time (provided your 3bet is big enough), which is almost enough reason in itself. In my opinion of course.

Cheers,

G
  • edited June 2016
    thank you Graham i appreciate your thoughts throughout your thread its fantastic for people like me
  • edited June 2016
    In Response to Re: StayOrGo UKPC Hand Review: HANDS 24 TO 28 NOT REVEALED. 29TH HAND IS REVEALED : Cheers for this Phantom. I think there is a report to get this information in HM2, but I can't find it atm. ie, how many times when I open raise on the button is it a pocket pair. However, regarding our opponent, I would say he has a pocket pair 20% of the time and if he is raising with all pockets, that would mean 14% of the time he has an over-pair. So I'd say we are ahead of the button 86% of the time. However, the really important stat is how often does he fold to a 3bet when he raises from the button/cutoff. Clearly when you play live, or on Sky, there is no software for this (fortunately), but these are the things one should be paying attention to. I can't remember now what his "fold to 3bet" stats were, but I was probably quite confident that he would fold. I have just found a horrifying stat on HM2 for my Stars account. That stat is that I lose more chips when on the button, than any other table position. This is horrendous, as it should always be the BB then the SB that are the biggest "natural losses". I think my stats for this are so poor, as one of the blinds often 3bets and I fold. Note to self, "TIGHTEN UP MY BUTTON RAISES" (at least on Stars anyway) I suspect I am not the only one guilty of this, but the extent is staggering. Glad I have spotted that leak, so thanks for bringing this up Phantom. FYI. My button raises get 3bet much more on Stars than  Sky, this is for two reasons: 1: it's 9 max 2: The standard Stars player is more aggressive in the blinds, than his Sky counterpart. Cheers, G
    Posted by StayOrGo
    Tighten button raises, or open your 4-bet bluff or calling range vs 3-bet jams ;)

Guess you'd need to find out if there's a difference in how deep you are to work out what to adjust.

• edited June 2016
    In Response to Re: StayOrGo UKPC Hand Review: HANDS 24 TO 28 NOT REVEALED. 29TH HAND IS REVEALED : Tighten button raises, or open your 4-bet bluff or calling range vs 3-bet jams ;) Guess you'd need to find out if there's a difference in how deep you are to work out what to adjust.
    Posted by bbMike

Good point Mike, probably both tbh.

Open raise less and 4bet/call more.

I probably also need to 3bet less on the button v earlier opens. 

Might be worth experimenting :=)

Cheers,

G
  • edited June 2016
    thank you Graham i appreciate your thoughts throughout your thread its fantastic for people like me
    Posted by stokefc

You are welcome Stoke. Glad you are finding it useful :=)
  • edited June 2016
    Following on from these discussions.

I did conduct some of my own research a few years back (On Stars) which may be useful along the theme of the discussions we've been having.

I manually recorded what happened when someone raised from the various positions. (ie. did they get 3bet, called or did everyone fold)

I only did this when it was fairly deep into an MTT but not close to the bubble. (So I got a balanced results unaffected too much by ICM or stack sizes).

There is a total sample size of just over 500 hands, so not enough to be accurate, but a reasonable guide.

My results are as follows:      (Cut and Paste from a word doc I created)

THE CHART BELOW STATES THE LARGEST ACTION THAT TAKES PLACE: FOR EXAMPLE IF AN UNDER THE GUN RAISE IS MADE AND THIS IS CALLED BY SAY THE BUTTON AND RE-RAISED BY ONE OF THE BLINDS, ONLY THE RE-RAISE ACTION IS RECORDED. ALL HANDS ARE FROM NINE PLAYER TABLES FOR MTT'S BETWEEN a $55 BUY IN and a $215 BUY IN.

INITIAL RAISE POSITION (NUM OF SAMPLE HANDS) TIMES 3BET TIMES CALLED TIMES ALL FOLDED UNDER THE GUN (100) 40% 32% 28% UTG+1 (73) 38% 33% 29% UTG+2 (85) 35% 38% 27% UTG+3 (71) 27% 30% 43% HI-JACK (67) 42%* 36% 22%* CUTOFF (59) 39%* 39% 22%* BUTTON (58) 43%* 35% 22%* SMALL BLIND (26) 42%* 23%  35%*
    To assist with understanding the above if we take the UTG+1 position.

The chart above shows that of 73 occurrences when someone raised from UTG+1, they were 3bet 38% percent of the time, called 33% of the time and it folded round 29% of the time.

The most poignant information provided by this imo is:

1) UTG+3 seems by far the best "steal" position.
    2) Button raises got 3bet 43% of the time from 58 occurrences.
    3) The Hi-Jack, Cutoff and Small Blind were also 3bet VERY often, which shows you just how LITTLE respect LATE table position raises get on STARS, and how they are 3bet by a very wide range.
    4) They are very aggressive on Stars

Admittedly, this is not enough of a sample size (particularly for the Small Blind, as it rarely folds round to the SB), but I somehow get a feeling these guys might be 3betting with 55 (and a lot worse), in the blinds against a button raise.

What we have to remember is that the UKPC was nine handed, with anties, and perhaps more aggressive players in general than we are used to on Sky.

Hope this is of use. Might prompt some interesting discussions anyway. :=)

Cheers,

G

• edited June 2016
    UKPC2016 THIRTY_SIXTH  HAND:
    ======================

Blinds 1,500/3,000 Antie 500 (Last level of the day)

Chip Count: 192K

They broke our table a few minutes earlier, so most of the players were new to me, however Neil Channing got moved to the same table. He now sits 3 to my left, so he has position on me this time.

Starting Hand: 9d5s

PRE-FLOP

It folds to the SB who limps, and I raise to 10K on the BB, SB calls.

FLOP

Kc,4c,2c

SB checks, I bet 12k (into a pot of 24k), SB folds.
    My Thoughts:
    PRE_FLOP
    It looked to me that the SB just wanted to see a cheap flop, so I raised to 10K despite only have 95o, as I was quite confident that he would fold. However, he didn't, he called. Opps.
    FLOP
    The SB checked and I felt duty bound to C-bet. I figured if he didn't have either a King, or a medium/high club, it would be hard for him to call.
    He tanked for a while then folded. Perhaps he had a passively played hand like 55 or 66 or a medium club. I was quite relieved when he folded as I would have given up on the turn.
    It could have gone horribly wrong, but I got away with one here. On the whole I still think the play is OK, but definately risky as I didn't know my opponent at all, having just moved to the table.
    On the other hand, it did send out a message that I would defend/raise on my BB, which wouldn't do my image any harm.
    CHIP COUNT: 206K (AVERAGE 120K)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to post thoughts/questions.
    Cheers,
    G

• edited June 2016
    UKPC2016 THIRTY_SIXTH  HAND: ====================== Blinds 1,500/3,000 Antie 500 (Last level of the day) Chip Count: 192K They broke our table a few minutes earlier, so most of the players were new to me, however Neil Channing got moved to the same table. He now sits 3 to my left, so he has position on me this time. Starting Hand: 9d5s PRE-FLOP It folds to the SB who limps, and I raise to 10K on the BB, SB calls. FLOP Kc,4c,2c SB checks, I bet 12k (into a pot of 24k), SB folds. My Thoughts: PRE_FLOP It looked to me that the SB just wanted to see a cheap flop, so I raised to 10K despite only have 95o, as I was quite confident that he would fold. However, he didn't, he called. Opps. FLOP The SB checked and I felt duty bound to C-bet. I figured if he didn't have either a King, or a medium/high club, it would be hard for him to call. He tanked for a while then folded. Perhaps he had a passively played hand like 55 or 66 or a medium club. I was quite relieved when he folded as I would have given up on the turn. It could have gone horribly wrong, but I got away with one here. On the whole I still think the play is OK, but definately risky as I didn't know my opponent at all, having just moved to the table. On the other hand, it did send out a message that I would defend/raise on my BB, which wouldn't do my image any harm. CHIP COUNT: 206K (AVERAGE 120K) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Feel free to post thoughts/questions. Cheers, G
    Posted by StayOrGo
    Liking the thinking sometimes I think image is just as important as good cards keep up the good work
  • edited June 2016
    Thank you very much for this contribution to the forum, it's been very informative and has helped my thought process in hands no end. Also to everyone else who has commented particularly F_ivanovic who's understanding runs deep and is someone I tend to follow on 2+2 as his responses are usually superb. I first played poker in OCT last year and have become more than obsessed. I have won a few tournaments on Sky and a few live and feel I have come along way in a short amount of time, but it is all because of people being generous with there knowledge of the game. Thanks again. The_eggs
  • edited June 2016
    In Response to Re: StayOrGo UKPC Hand Review: 36TH HAND IS REVEALED:
    Thank you very much for this contribution to the forum, it's been very informative and has helped my thought process in hands no end. Also to everyone else who has commented particularly F_ivanovic who's understanding runs deep and is someone I tend to follow on 2+2 as his responses are usually superb. I first played poker in OCT last year and have become more than obsessed. I have won a few tournaments on Sky and a few live and feel I have come along way in a short amount of time, but it is all because of people being generous with there knowledge of the game. Thanks again. The_eggs
    Posted by The_eggs

Thanks for this Eggs. Much appreciated.

I agree with you regarding F_ivanovic and many of the others contributions. They have really helped to provide a detailed multi-perspective view.

Cheers,

G

• edited June 2016
    Been away for a few days so not had a chance to comment on any recent hands. Interesting chart regarding 3b/call/fold % vs various positions at the table. Obviously the more players left to act, the higher chance someone has a hand which is why it starts off as a high 3b of 40% but then decreases down till 27% in UTG+3 before increasing again in the HJ where typically people start stealing wider.

However, 40% still seems high even despite the increased probability of a good hand waking up behind you because an UTG range should be very strong IMO. I play 9 handed very rarely but I imagine my opening range from UTG would be around 9% of hands. (66+, AQo+, ATs+, KJs+, 87s+) However, I think many people (and you yourself said you admitted to opening quite wide even UTG) open too wide from these positions and as a result people using a HUD will pick up on this and will 3b you wider for value. (eg. As an example - AK or even a hand like AJs or AQs probably shouldn't be a 3b against someone opening 9% but is going to be a 3b against someone opening as wide as 20%) - and because there is a pretty high chance of someone having these hands, this is why UTG ends up being 3b so wide.

Going back briefly to the 55 hand: With a weaker player in the blinds then calling would be the best play IMO (especially with BTN being tight) but with Ryan being in the blinds I agree that calling isn't a great option and I think 3b is OK although I would rather maybe a suited connector that plays better post-flop. I think 3b all our small pairs is going to be too much but maybe just 3b 66-44 is OK.

Onto the most recent hand: do you always iso this large in the BB and would you do so with KK? We have position on the SB and we never raise the BTN to 3.3x - and we still have to get through 2 players there. Personally, I think it's OK (as I said before) to occasionally mix it up with a different raise size and make it a big raise with any pure bluffs like this hand as well as some value hands but if it's your stile to keep the same sizing then I would just make it 2.2-2.5x with my entire range. 

I like the hand you chose for this play too. Suited stuff has plenty of value IP and HU when you keep the SPR high so I wouldn't raise with 95s but our hand is also not quite complete garbage and has some playability being able to flop gutshots/hit straights. I wouldn't iso raise with 93o for instance.

Of course if you know for certain he's limping wide and will fold to a raise then we can exploitatively raise complete garbage like 93o but generally most people's SB limping range isn't too wide these days.

• edited June 2016
    Been away for a few days so not had a chance to comment on any recent hands. Interesting chart regarding 3b/call/fold % vs various positions at the table. Obviously the more players left to act, the higher chance someone has a hand which is why it starts off as a high 3b of 40% but then decreases down till 27% in UTG+3 before increasing again in the HJ where typically people start stealing wider. However, 40% still seems high even despite the increased probability of a good hand waking up behind you because an UTG range should be very strong IMO. I play 9 handed very rarely but I imagine my opening range from UTG would be around 9% of hands. (66+, AQo+, ATs+, KJs+, 87s+) However, I think many people (and you yourself said you admitted to opening quite wide even UTG) open too wide from these positions and as a result people using a HUD will pick up on this and will 3b you wider for value. (eg. As an example - AK or even a hand like AJs or AQs probably shouldn't be a 3b against someone opening 9% but is going to be a 3b against someone opening as wide as 20%) - and because there is a pretty high chance of someone having these hands, this is why UTG ends up being 3b so wide. Going back briefly to the 55 hand: With a weaker player in the blinds then calling would be the best play IMO (especially with BTN being tight) but with Ryan being in the blinds I agree that calling isn't a great option and I think 3b is OK although I would rather maybe a suited connector that plays better post-flop. I think 3b all our small pairs is going to be too much but maybe just 3b 66-44 is OK. Onto the most recent hand: do you always iso this large in the BB and would you do so with KK? We have position on the SB and we never raise the BTN to 3.3x - and we still have to get through 2 players there. Personally, I think it's OK (as I said before) to occasionally mix it up with a different raise size and make it a big raise with any pure bluffs like this hand as well as some value hands but if it's your stile to keep the same sizing then I would just make it 2.2-2.5x with my entire range.  I like the hand you chose for this play too. Suited stuff has plenty of value IP and HU when you keep the SPR high so I wouldn't raise with 95s but our hand is also not quite complete garbage and has some playability being able to flop gutshots/hit straights. I wouldn't iso raise with 93o for instance. Of course if you know for certain he's limping wide and will fold to a raise then we can exploitatively raise complete garbage like 93o but generally most people's SB limping range isn't too wide these days.
    Posted by F_Ivanovic

Thanks again for this Ivan.

Generally when anyone limps it affects the standard raise size (or should imo). My thoughts were, that he wanted to see a cheap flop, and that if I made it 10K, then he would likely fold. (I probably just make it 8K with KK)

I do take your point about people not limping too wide on the SB these days, although I do feel that this play gets folds pre flop often enough to justify it.

If you then add to that the number of times you are called and take it down with a C-bet, I think it is a viable play.

Of course a good player (that limps in the SB), will balance his range with limp-folds, limp-calls and limp-raises. So one does need to be cautious.

Being a new table, it would also give me some info on him and (provided I won the hand), it would show the table that I am not a soft BB.

Cheers,

G
  • edited June 2016
    UKPC2016 THIRTY_SEVENTH  HAND:
    ========================

Blinds 1,500/3,000 Antie 500 (Last level of the day)

Chip Count: 210K

Starting Hand: AdKh

PRE-FLOP

I raise to 7K, UTG+1, and get called by the CUTOFF, BUTTON and BB.

FLOP

2c,4h,6c

BB checks, I check, Cutoff checks, Button checks
    TURN
    2s
    BB checks, I bet 14K (into a pot of 33K), everyone folds.

My Thoughts:
    PRE_FLOP
    Standard.
    FLOP AND TURN
    The details on the recording were quite good for this hand, so I will transcribe word for word from my recording below:
    "It comes a deuce,6,4 flop, two clubs and I don't really like it, as someone has to have a pocket pair or flush draw or a hand that's connected with the board. So I just check, and it checks all around and then there's another deuce. Still not keen, but I feel obliged to lead out here, so I bet 14k, and fortunately they all folded. Tricky spot, definitely think the check on the flop was right, but the lead out, paid off this time, but not sure over-all whether it was a +ev move. It checked around so quick, and it was that, that probably gave me the sense that I could get them all to fold. And obviously the deuce is a good turn card as it's not likely to have improved anybody's hand."
    CHIP COUNT: 235K (AVERAGE 160K)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Next hand tomorrow, which is the very last hand of DAY1A, and once again involves Neil Channing.
    As always, feel free to post thoughts/questions.
    Cheers,
    G
  • edited June 2016
    We're you not tempted to make a small c bet on the flop to see if anyone played back rather than let everyone have e free card 
  • edited June 2016
    In Response to Re: StayOrGo UKPC Hand Review: 37TH HAND IS REVEALED:
    We're you not tempted to make a small c bet on the flop to see if anyone played back rather than let everyone have e free card 
    Posted by weecheez1

Hi weecheez

No not tempted to C-bet the flop at all.

My stats on HM2 show that a C-bet got through on a low two tone flop against 3 opponents 25.9% of the time, which is actually higher than I would expect.

But even 25.9% isn't high enough imo, toC-bet the flop.

What one has to realise is the fact that there are three other opponents.

This makes a massive difference to the likelihood of a C-bet being "successful"

Also, some players will stubbornly call a small bet with weak draws and overcards.

Cheers,

G
  • edited June 2016
    In Response to Re: StayOrGo UKPC Hand Review: 36TH HAND IS REVEALED : Thanks again for this Ivan. Generally when anyone limps it affects the standard raise size (or should imo). My thoughts were, that he wanted to see a cheap flop, and that if I made it 10K, then he would likely fold. (I probably just make it 8K with KK) I 
    Posted by StayOrGo
    This isn't a criticizm but I find it curious that you are making it smaller with KK. You said in an earlier post that you make the same raise size pre regardless of your hand so as to not give anything away and I argued the case that it's possible to mix in different sizings as an exploitative adjustment against unknown opponents. Yet here you are doing as I suggested and are using a different sizing hoping to extract a fold? :)

Overall with our range in this spot we are fairly happy if villain calls a raise pre. We have a stronger raise IP and we're going to take down the pot quite often with a c-bet. So whilst a limp does affect the standard size slightly, it shouldn't affect it that much here - I just think it's almost always better as a default to make it around 2.5x more. Again, not to say I disagree with your raise size - it can be fine to do in this instance IMO but it wouldn't be my standard.

@weecheez1: On top of what StayOrGo has said, we have to always think about why we are c-betting and how often. Sure, there is some protection value in getting potentially up to 6 random over-cards to fold. However, if we are c-betting here then we are c-betting with every hand in our range which generally isn't a good thing to be doing. It can be fine in a vacuum and given the board texture it probably gets through enough of the time to be +ev if we make a small(ish) bet - eg. a bet of around 35% pot has to work 26% of the time - and based on StayOrGo's statistics I think given board texture they will be higher than that on this board.

That said, it can't hurt to see a free card either. We can sometimes win with a delayed c-bet and other times spike an A or K - and occasionally we will get to see a river w/o putting in any extra money and might win there.

If we had AK with a back door flush draw here I think I would be c-betting 100%. The ability to turn a flush draw and barrel as a bluff makes it a much more worthwhile flop c-bet.

• edited June 2016
    UKPC2016 THIRTY_EIGHTH  HAND: (LAST HAND OF DAY1A)
    =======================================

Blinds 1,500/3,000 Antie 500

MY CHIP COUNT: 235K

BUTTON CHIP COUNT: 450K (tournament chip leader)

NEIL'S CHIP COUNT: 50K

Starting Hand: AcQh

PRE-FLOP

I raise to 8K, in the CUTOFF, BUTTON CALLS, SB folds, BB (Neil Channing) re-raises to 18K, I fold, BUTTON shoves, Neil calls.

Showdown

Neil has: KK

Button has: AQ

The river is an Ace and Neil is unfortunately eliminated from Day1A.
    My Thoughts:
    PRE_FLOP
    Neil deliberated for some time and then re-raised to 18K. This looked super strong to me as it was the very last hand of the day, and he certainly wasn't going to be folding his remaining 32K. So my thinking was, why just a small re-raise and not an all in?
    If he had of shoved I would have shoved too ,as he could do that with way worse than AQ to try and double up or bust on the last hand, so he could re-enter the following day. But as it stood this re-raise to 18k looked suspicious to me, so I folded.
    The button did decide to go all in, and Neil called. The button had the same hand as me, AQ, however he rivered one of the remaining two Aces, to knock Neil out.
    Neil, as you would expect, took it like the gentleman that he is, and he later qualified for day2 on day1c I believe.
    END OF DAY1A: CHIP COUNT: 227K (AVERAGE 180K)
    I'm going to give myself a week off. It may also allow some people time to catch up, as I know a lot of people have got part way through it.
    I hope you have found this useful and feel free to keep the posts coming during the coming week. 
    On day two, I get into a lot of tricky spots and marginal situations, so it will be interesting to see everyone's thoughts.
    I will carry on with Day2 in the beginning of July.
    Thanks to all those who have contributed to this thread so far.
    Cheers,
    Graham.
  • edited June 2016
    no thank you for posting its one of the best threads i,ve ever read,its gold i repeat gold
    thanks to Wes too for a young lad his analysis is exceptional well done
  • edited June 2016
    In Response to Re: StayOrGo UKPC Hand Review: 36TH HAND IS REVEALED : This isn't a criticizm but I find it curious that you are making it smaller with KK. You said in an earlier post that you make the same raise size pre regardless of your hand so as to not give anything away and I argued the case that it's possible to mix in different sizings as an exploitative adjustment against unknown opponents. Yet here you are doing as I suggested and are using a different sizing hoping to extract a fold? :) Overall with our range in this spot we are fairly happy if villain calls a raise pre. We have a stronger raise IP and we're going to take down the pot quite often with a c-bet. So whilst a limp does affect the standard size slightly, it shouldn't affect it that much here - I just think it's almost always better as a default to make it around 2.5x more. Again, not to say I disagree with your raise size - it can be fine to do in this instance IMO but it wouldn't be my standard. @weecheez1: On top of what StayOrGo has said, we have to always think about why we are c-betting and how often. Sure, there is some protection value in getting potentially up to 6 random over-cards to fold. However, if we are c-betting here then we are c-betting with every hand in our range which generally isn't a good thing to be doing. It can be fine in a vacuum and given the board texture it probably gets through enough of the time to be +ev if we make a small(ish) bet - eg. a bet of around 35% pot has to work 26% of the time - and based on StayOrGo's statistics I think given board texture they will be higher than that on this board. That said, it can't hurt to see a free card either. We can sometimes win with a delayed c-bet and other times spike an A or K - and occasionally we will get to see a river w/o putting in any extra money and might win there. If we had AK with a back door flush draw here I think I would be c-betting 100%. The ability to turn a flush draw and barrel as a bluff makes it a much more worthwhile flop c-bet.
    Posted by F_Ivanovic

Hi Ivan, thx for this, regarding your above point highlighted in blue. I think there is always an exception to any rule, and whilst in general I don't vary my open raise sizes, based on my hand strength (particularly for early table position opens)

However, blind on blind is slightly different imo. Here I am thinking more about what HE HAS and NOT WHAT I HAVE, and I simply believe a bigger bet gets more folds. It may sound overly simplistic, however my experience in these spots has shown that, in general, a bigger bet gets more folds, in these blind on blind spots.

As I said before, if I've got KK or AA, I don't want him to fold, so I make it slightly less (8k ish). I also believe that these spots don't come up often enough or get to showdown enough, for even the most discerning of opponent to be able to gauge a pattern. (unless you are a well known pro, or write a thread about it lol)

However often pro's use other people's knowledge of them, to their advantage, and mix up the play. (The old, he thinks, I think he thinks I'll do this meta game stuff)

Not that it's the purpose of this thread, but suppose it was you who limped in the SB Ivan. I would clearly know that (because of this thread) you'd think a raise to 10k was weaker than a raise to 8k, so I may do the opposite. Just a thought to consider, and if you think I'll do the opposite, I may not, and it goes on. The wonders of Meta game poker:=)

As I said previously, I was expecting him to fold pre flop, so it didn't really go to plan, however I was fortunate enough to get a flop that was conducive to facilitating a successful C-bet.

Maybe I should have just checked the option, however having made the decision to raise, I am happy with the sizing.

Thanks again for your input, much appreciated.

G