You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

StayOrGo UKPC Hand Review: HAND 59: DEJA VU. DO YOU CALL AN ALL IN WITH POCKET JACKS HERE?

Comments

• edited September 2016
    In Response to Re: StayOrGo UKPC Hand Review: 53RD HAND REVEALED. WHAT WOULD YOU DO? CAUTION, THIS HAND COULD SERIOUSLY DAMAGE YOUR WEALTH.:
    He is uber-aggro. you checked on the turn. He is always going to bet the river. I call-if I intended to fold to an overbet then i would bet turn and check river, rather than other way round. Interesting hand.
    Posted by Essexphil

Hi Phil, I had to make some slight amendments to the details of the hand since your post.

I had a 2nd recording, which corrected some of the initial details. The main error in the first recording was that I said he checked the flop and I bet, where in fact he donk led 20K on the flop and I made it 70K and he called. So this clearly affected the size of pot and percieved hand strength etc. The details on the post are now correct. Not sure if that changes anything for you?

Cheers,

G
  • edited September 2016
    In Response to Re: StayOrGo UKPC Hand Review: 53RD HAND REVEALED. WHAT WOULD YOU DO? CAUTION, THIS HAND COULD SERIOUSLY DAMAGE YOUR WEALTH.:
    In Response to Re: StayOrGo UKPC Hand Review: 53RD HAND REVEALED. WHAT WOULD YOU DO? CAUTION, THIS HAND COULD SERIOUSLY DAMAGE YOUR WEALTH. : Hi Phil, I had to make some slight amendments to the details of the hand since your post. I had a 2nd recording, which corrected some of the initial details. The main error in the first recording was that I said he checked the flop and I bet, where in fact he donk led 20K on the flop and I made it 70K and he called. So this clearly affected the size of pot and percieved hand strength etc. The details on the post are now correct. Not sure if that changes anything for you? Cheers, G
    Posted by StayOrGo
    No change. Feel he will shove with anything there (good or bad). You are (in my view) 50/50 to win the hand, and are getting far better odds to call. Might well be a fold in a DYM or qualifier, but not here....
  • edited September 2016
    In Response to Re: StayOrGo UKPC Hand Review: 53RD HAND REVEALED. WHAT WOULD YOU DO? CAUTION, THIS HAND COULD SERIOUSLY DAMAGE YOUR WEALTH. : No change. Feel he will shove with anything there (good or bad). You are (in my view) 50/50 to win the hand, and are getting far better odds to call. Might well be a fold in a DYM or qualifier, but not here....
    Posted by Essexphil

Cheers Phil, I'll leave this open for a day or two for others to respond, as it is a key/interesting, spot that may generate some worthwhile discussions.

Cheers,

G
  • edited September 2016
    mt initial thought was fold....

My second reaction which is often the more logical is call.

Your turn check shows some weakness to him.... your are 3 from the cash.... he is doing what a big stack should do.... trying to push you around.

I call in this spot if you are beat you are beat and you make a sick bubble.

I just think long term this exact spot calling would be by far the most profitable option
  • edited September 2016
    Firstly being honest, I would probably fold, as a rec who will hopefully get to this point one day, cashing would mean so much. No point in thinking long term if you dont know if/when you will be in a similar position again.

Looking at it more objectively, what is the correct play?

I think the key information here is the 800k stack of the opponent, the closeness of the bubble and the way they have been playing uber aggro without showdowns.

You have basically min raised and from BB I think this opponent will defend the BB widely. Hard to put them on a hand as they dont seem seem too concerned with what they hold, just whether they can get an opponent to fold. 

From your utg open I think AK and pairs TT+ are in your range, cant see opponent putting you on a set and your reraise on the flop would tend to narrow your range to a decent overpair.

So do they want a call or are they trying to take the hand down with aggression giving the context of the tournament?

Only hands I am really worried about are A4 and TT. I cant see KK AA flatting pre (although it is possible). Flopped sets may check the turn hoping you will continue, but then with you checking back I would expect a value bet not an overbet on the river.

The A4 and TT I guess make more sense as the unlikely strong holdings that may get called by an overshove, made to look like a bluff from a missed flush/straight draw or simply taking advantage of perceived weakness from the turn check.

I think on balance it should be a call as there are many more bluffs than made hands in this spot.

• edited September 2016
    Thanks fellas for the responses so far.

I'll let a few more comments come in.

Whilst we are waiting for the conclusion of this, I am also happy for people to comment on whether, indeed, I should have checked back on the turn?

It was a marginal one. Should I have continued firing on the turn, or was checking back OK?

Cheers,

G

• edited September 2016
    Thanks fellas for the responses so far. I'll let a few more comments come in. Whilst we are waiting for the conclusion of this, I am also happy for people to comment on whether, indeed, I should have checked back on the turn? It was a marginal one. Should I have continued firing on the turn, or was checking back OK? Cheers, G
    Posted by StayOrGo
    It depends why you were doing it. You were aware that the villain is bullying the table, and winning pots without revealing his cards. If you did it to induce the shove, great-if not, being in position, a bet on the turn and checking the river would (for me) be the optimal line
  • edited September 2016
    In Response to Re: StayOrGo UKPC Hand Review: 53RD HAND REVEALED. WHAT WOULD YOU DO? CAUTION, THIS HAND COULD SERIOUSLY DAMAGE YOUR WEALTH. : It depends why you were doing it. You were aware that the villain is bullying the table, and winning pots without revealing his cards. If you did it to induce the shove, great-if not, being in position, a bet on the turn and checking the river would (for me) be the optimal line
    Posted by Essexphil

My thought at the time was primarily for pot control against two pair+. Also if it was a flush draw, whilst it gives him a free card, if he hits, I wouldn't go broke on the river. There was also a thought, that by checking the turn, he would likely bluff a missed draw on the river, so there was an element of "next street" bluff inducing in the decision too.

Also, the way he had been playing, a check/raise on the turn was distinctly possible, which would put me in a very difficult spot. So I decided to check back, thus controlling the pot size, where the plan was to call a river bet on a brick river.

As it was, his all in on the river, didn't allow me the luxury of being able to call a river bet and still be in the tournament if I lost.

I'm not saying checking back on the turn was correct in this case, however the above fairly represents my thought process at the time.

Cheers,

G
  • edited September 2016
    I think if we fire the turn we are check calling the river most of the time - firing the turn would be my preffered option but I am pretty aggresive on most streets and feel I make better decision when I am leading / in control of the pot.

Checking certainly has its own benefits and I will use it against opponents such as the one mentioned above - it also works pretty well against me as I am a sucker for a check (its the hu cash player in me). Its also good for inducing bluffs and thin value bets on the river and in this spot I actually think checking is the better option (although it is not neccesarily what I would do) - what we dont consider when checking is the fact that the opponent overshoves on the river which is what makes this hand so interesting to me.

The check could certainly play a massively significant role in the opponents decision to shove this river hence why I would pretty much never be folding this spot.

I would logically put his range at any flush draw, 68,  10, jj, a5 with a diamond any any other pair that didnt make a set on the flop as he is 80bb deep. 

Realistically what could beat you.... I would expect 10 10 to 3 bet pre (not always but as he was labelled as aggresive by you I would expect a 3 bet with 1010 80%+)

3s, 5s & 7s would make much more sense than 10 10.... but for me... no

3s 5s 7s would surely 3 bet your flop cbet. the board is draw heavy for any smallish pairs you may have raised and if you have a big hand... as you do.... he would be missing value. he checks the turn and you check for pot control.... river comes with what may as well be a blank and he shoves..... I would be intrested to know the timing of his shove (was it a snap shove, did he take a moment?)

The shove screams of him trying to steal the pot and missing a draw.

I apologise for the long post. I could be a million miles off here but this hand is great to analyse I love every single aspect of it and the physcological aspect the bubble brings with it.

• edited September 2016
    I think if we fire the turn we are check calling the river most of the time - firing the turn would be my preffered option but I am pretty aggresive on most streets and feel I make better decision when I am leading / in control of the pot. Checking certainly has its own benefits and I will use it against opponents such as the one mentioned above - it also works pretty well against me as I am a sucker for a check (its the hu cash player in me). Its also good for inducing bluffs and thin value bets on the river and in this spot I actually think checking is the better option (although it is not neccesarily what I would do) - what we dont consider when checking is the fact that the opponent overshoves on the river which is what makes this hand so interesting to me. The check could certainly play a massively significant role in the opponents decision to shove this river hence why I would pretty much never be folding this spot. I would logically put his range at any flush draw, 68, 10, jj, a5 with a diamond and just about anything else that could of missed as he is 80bb deep Realistically what could beat you.... I would expect 10 10 to 3 bet pre (not always but as he was labelled as aggresive by you I would expect a 3 bet with 1010 80%+) 3s, 5s & 7s would make much more sense than 10 10.... but for me... no 3s 5s 7s would surely 3 bet your flop cbet. the board is draw heavy for any smallish pairs you may have raised and if you have a big hand... as you do.... he would be missing value. he checks the turn and you check for pot control.... river comes with what may as well be a blank and he shoves..... I would be intrested to know the timing of his shove (was it a snap shove, did he take a moment?) The shove screams of him trying to steal the pot and missing a draw. I apologise for the long post. I could be a million miles off here but this hand is great to analyse I love every single aspect of it and the physcological aspect the bubble brings with it.
    Posted by Itsover4u

Great response Itsover4u.

Regarding the above, it w as a measured 15 second or so, decision.
  • edited September 2016
    i would be going busto here im afraid hes running over the table ive got a hand ive gotta call if we win we,re comfortably itm got to make a stand i think hes bluffing if we win it shows him ive got balls of steel and make him think twice next time hes up against me , understand tho this is coming from a micro stakes perspective , very intresting this hand
  • edited September 2016
    Will be revealing the result of this hand later tonight.

So feel free to post any further thoughts before then.

All feedback welcome.

Cheers,

G
  • edited September 2016
    My thoughts are this all hinges on the check back by you, my first thought is you are behind on the flop, however the check back gives him the initiative to bomb the river, I think he has you on the exact hand you have and try's to bully you off so close to the bubble., he has a missed draw.

Or......he flopped the world and your doomed. ;)

Or...he puts you on AK, and hits his 10.

In other words I dunno, great spot to analyse though, thanks.
  • edited September 2016

Hi Graham

I’m calling. Too many factors favour his bluffing you. Near the bubble. Your check on the turn. He’s agro. The donk lead. Possible missed draw.

From his perspective, what can you call with after you checked the turn? From you’re perspective what would you actually be comfortable calling with? 

Of course he may have it but overall I call. I also don’t think you are a ‘limp into the money at all costs’ sort of player. Go for the win. Fold and limp on with 20 BBs – when do the blinds go up? Call for potentially 60+BBs.

Look forward to your though process on your decision.

• edited September 2016
    Hi all. The suspense is over. This is what happened:

My first reaction was to fold, but I just sat for a while, realised that this reaction was due to fear, and not based on rational logic. So I just waited, still, then I recognised this and let go of the fear, I came to the conclusion that it was very likely to be a missed flush or 2nd/3rd pair being turned into a bluff. Pretty much for all the reasons people have mentioned in their responses.

So after about 2 minutes, I threw 1 chip onto the table (signifying a call) and immediately showed my QQ.

Opps mistake again, I keep doing this!

He mucked and whilst I was releaved to win the hand, I lost out on valuable information. I really should have let him show first. He may have just mucked anyway (but then I'd know it was a missed flush)

This way I can't be sure what he had, but most likely, it was a missed flush.

ANYWAY CHIP COUNT: 640K, WOO HOO.

It seems apt to write a bit about how emotion can get in the way of rational decision making, and how best to address this. It's quite late now, but I'll write a bit on this tomorrow.

Thanks to all who have contributed!

Cheers,

G

• edited September 2016
    good call!!

Its easy sitting here and giving an oppinion but the talent in poker is often having a clear thought process in these difficult spots.

My favourite hand of the thread so far thanks for posting
  • edited September 2016
    OK, so where were we. Oh yeh, poker and emotion.

In the last hand, my tournament life was on the line, and a natural feeling of fear arose. So how do we deal with it when an emotion like this kicks in?

This is my thoughts:

Sports men and women often talk about being in the zone, but what does this mean, and is it relevant to Poker?

I think it is!

I often reflect upon a session, after I have played, looking at my decision making processes, and assess how I felt, and how I played.

On very rare occasions, I look back and say, "I think I was in the zone" then.

I believe it is impossible to "know" that you are in the zone, at the time, but can be reflected upon later.

The reason for this imo, is that if you are thinking, "I'm in the zone now", that very thought takes you out of the zone because the focus has moved from the task at hand to assessing how "zonal" you are.

Being in the zone imo, means you are in the hear and now, present moment and are devoid of overpowering good or bad emotions.

One time, when I was feeling particularly "out of the zone", I decided to write a list of any, and all emotions, as and when I felt them. It was quite a list I can tell you. In less that 30 minutes I amassed the following:

PRIDE
    EGO
    ANGER
    FRUSTRATION
    ANNOYANCE
    FEAR
    BOREDOM
    IMPATIENCE
    EXCITEMENT
    JEALOUSY
    RESENTMENT
    "POOR ME"
    EXPECTATION
    ANTICIPATION
    REGRET
    CAUTIOUSNESS
    NERVOUSNESS
    COMPLACENCY
    "FORWARD PLANNING"
    QUESTIONING PAST ACTIONS
    GENERAL MIND "WANDERING"
    DISSAPOINTMENT.

Well, like I said, it's quite a list, and I did play quite a few hands in that 30 minutes.

Some of these emotions were felt for a brief moment but other's lingered. It's the lingering ones we need to watch.

I feel, that when ANY of the above are felt, it takes you out of the zone. And if these feelings are strong, it's sure to adversely affect your game.

So, with so much "stuff" going on: Good luck, bad luck, losing a big pot, winning a big pot, how do we stop these emotions from causing us to make poor decisions?

The best thing to do in these spots imo, is to first recognise what emotion it is that you are feeling. Once you know what it is you're feeling, then you can start to recognise it for what it is, and in doing so, lessen it's potential to "hijack" rational thought.

I'll write more on this tomorrow, but just thought I'd start it off, as I did promise to discuss the emotional aspect of the game.

As I said before, this is just my opinion, I'm not a psychiatrist in my day job, so have no formal training in the area. But I do know that a balanced, steady and most importantly, resilient mind is paramount for Poker.

Even the most calm, controlled poker player can go on tilt, but those who do it less, and/or recover faster, will always have an edge over players of a similar standard, but lack the composure of their counterparts.

More on this later.

In the mean time, feel free to post thoughts. How do you deal with these things? What helps you "recover?"

It can be different for everyone, but the important thing, is to have some way to get back on track when it happens. And it will happen!

GL steadying that ship. May all your decisions be based on logic, even if that logic takes into consideration the emotions of others. :=)

Cheers,

G

P.S. I am by no means an expert on this btw, but I recognise the problem.

• edited September 2016
    Great and very honest post, I think all of us can relate to feeling the emotions you felt in your list.

Dealing with the negative aspects of poker is very tough. I think a good way to stay in the zone is to wait until after the session before contemplating hands that are in the past. Once a hand has happened retain any important information out of it and move on, rather than sit there and contemplate the merits of your play or regret making the play you did whilst still mid session. 

One of the toughest things in MTT poker for me is having a significant amount of chips, losing a monster pot and having to re-adapt to your new situation. It can often be tempting to be overly aggressive in an attempt to regain the chips you've lost and I think a lot of players will do this. By keeping composed and playing as optimally as possible after this has happened it will be beneficial to you long term if other opponents cannot keep composed in similar situations.

Coping with negative variance is another aspect where you can gain at the expense of your opponents by being able to handle it better than them. I still struggle to cope with negative results but I'm getting better, using logic and reviewing your hands post game and being able to justify the merits of your play goes a long way towards a better state of mind when playing, as you know that eventually results will come good again.

I've rambled a bit here but would like to add that I think treating the mental aspect of poker as a competition, is a good approach to take. Being mentally more solid then your opponents will be of benefit in the long run.

• edited September 2016
    great thread, although keep them coming as I now have no alternative than to start my days work :)
  • edited September 2016
    Have only just recently started reading this forum but this is fast becoming my favorite thread. 
  • edited October 2016
    UKPC2016 FIFTY FOURTH HAND:
    ======================

Well after all the excitement of the last hand this one is not quite so interesting, but will add it for completeness.

Blinds 5,000/10,000 Antie 1,000

CHIP COUNT: 640K

Starting Hand: Kh,9h

PRE-FLOP

UTG+1 raises to 22K with, SB calls and I call in the BB.

FLOP: Qh,Qs,Jc

Everyone checks.

TURN: 9d

BB checks, I bet 25K, UTG+1 re-rasies to 75K, SB folds, I fold.

My Thoughts:

PRE_FLOP:

With the SB calling, I decide to also call. I don't mind a call or a fold here, but already having 10k in as my BB, I thought it was worth seeing a flop.

FLOP: Qh,Qs,Jc

I flop a gutshot, but that's not enough for me to lead out against the pre flop aggressor.

TURN: 9d

I decide to make a bet here, my 9 could be good, so an element of protection and also finding out where I am. The re-raise did indeed tell me where I was, I suspect he had at least a queen, so I folded accordingly.

CHIP COUNT AFTER HAND: 590K

Any thoughts, should I have bet the turn or not, was the sizing too small? 

Cheers,

G
  • edited October 2016
    UKPC2016 FIFTY FIFTH HAND:
    ====================

I must have won a few pots that I didn't record, as my chip stack is now 670K. So I probably open raised and/or 3bet pre a couple of times that got through.

CHIP COUNT: 670K

Starting Hand: Ad,Kc

PRE-FLOP

UTG+1 (Chris rscpca12) raises to 20K, HJ, calls, I re-raise to 80K in the SB with AK, the short stack in the BB shoves for 160K, Chris folds, HJ folds, I call. He has QQ.

FLOP:

Three diamonds on the flop, but I fail to improve.

My Thoughts:

Standard play I would suggest.

CHIP COUNT AFTER HAND: 510K

Any thoughts? 

Cheers,

G
  • edited October 2016
    OK, so where were we. Oh yeh, poker and emotion. In the last hand, my tournament life was on the line, and a natural feeling of fear arose. So how do we deal with it when an emotion like this kicks in? This is my thoughts: Sports men and women often talk about being in the zone, but what does this mean, and is it relevant to Poker? I think it is! I often reflect upon a session, after I have played, looking at my decision making processes, and assess how I felt, and how I played. On very rare occasions, I look back and say, "I think I was in the zone" then. I believe it is impossible to "know" that you are in the zone, at the time, but can be reflected upon later. The reason for this imo, is that if you are thinking, "I'm in the zone now", that very thought takes you out of the zone because the focus has moved from the task at hand to assessing how "zonal" you are. Being in the zone imo, means you are in the hear and now, present moment and are devoid of overpowering good or bad emotions. One time, when I was feeling particularly "out of the zone", I decided to write a list of any, and all emotions, as and when I felt them. It was quite a list I can tell you. In less that 30 minutes I amassed the following: PRIDE EGO ANGER FRUSTRATION ANNOYANCE FEAR BOREDOM IMPATIENCE EXCITEMENT JEALOUSY RESENTMENT "POOR ME" EXPECTATION ANTICIPATION REGRET CAUTIOUSNESS NERVOUSNESS COMPLACENCY "FORWARD PLANNING" QUESTIONING PAST ACTIONS GENERAL MIND "WANDERING" DISSAPOINTMENT. Well, like I said, it's quite a list, and I did play quite a few hands in that 30 minutes. Some of these emotions were felt for a brief moment but other's lingered. It's the lingering ones we need to watch. I feel, that when ANY of the above are felt, it takes you out of the zone. And if these feelings are strong, it's sure to adversely affect your game. So, with so much "stuff" going on: Good luck, bad luck, losing a big pot, winning a big pot, how do we stop these emotions from causing us to make poor decisions? The best thing to do in these spots imo, is to first recognise what emotion it is that you are feeling. Once you know what it is you're feeling, then you can start to recognise it for what it is, and in doing so, lessen it's potential to "hijack" rational thought. I'll write more on this tomorrow, but just thought I'd start it off, as I did promise to discuss the emotional aspect of the game. As I said before, this is just my opinion, I'm not a psychiatrist in my day job, so have no formal training in the area. But I do know that a balanced, steady and most importantly, resilient mind is paramount for Poker. Even the most calm, controlled poker player can go on tilt, but those who do it less, and/or recover faster, will always have an edge over players of a similar standard, but lack the composure of their counterparts. More on this later. In the mean time, feel free to post thoughts. How do you deal with these things? What helps you "recover?" It can be different for everyone, but the important thing, is to have some way to get back on track when it happens. And it will happen! GL steadying that ship. May all your decisions be based on logic, even if that logic takes into consideration the emotions of others. :=) Cheers, G P.S. I am by no means an expert on this btw, but I recognise the problem.
    Posted by StayOrGo

Great read.

To help me recover ive found guided medtitation before and after sessions really helps me. I feel much more "in the zone" as you put it and am less attached to results when I do this. Granted I dont do this as much as I should. 

I also love a post it note. I attach them around my screen with quotes on paitience and non-attachement which helps me to re-focus if im having a bad spell at once on all my tables.

• edited October 2016
    In Response to Re: StayOrGo UKPC Hand Review: 53RD HAND REVEALED. WHAT WOULD YOU DO? CAUTION, THIS HAND COULD SERIOUSLY DAMAGE YOUR WEALTH. : Great read. To help me recover ive found guided medtitation before and after sessions really helps me. I feel much more "in the zone" as you put it and am less attached to results when I do this. Granted I dont do this as much as I should.  I also love a post it note. I attach them around my screen with quotes on paitience and non-attachement which helps me to re-focus if im having a bad spell at once on all my tables.
    Posted by devil_tear

This is great advise for all, thanks Tim. A lot of the top players do find meditation useful.

I also meditate, partly as I am very interested in Buddhist culture and practices, and partly as I know it helps my game.

Although, similarly, not as much as I should, I also find slow repetitive music, or "mantras", whilst playing, a "calming" influence. 

Everyone's different, some people find "Hard Rock" helps them, although for me, it's the slower repetitive sounds that help.

This one from Harry Potter, Lily's Theme, I find, "neutral" and fairly useful:

Cheers,

G

P.S. Great idea about the post-it notes too! TY.

• edited October 2016
    In Response to Re: StayOrGo UKPC Hand Review: EMOTION, TILT, CAN YOU HANDLE IT?:
    Great and very honest post, I think all of us can relate to feeling the emotions you felt in your list. Dealing with the negative aspects of poker is very tough. I think a good way to stay in the zone is to wait until after the session before contemplating hands that are in the past. Once a hand has happened retain any important information out of it and move on, rather than sit there and contemplate the merits of your play or regret making the play you did whilst still mid session.  One of the toughest things in MTT poker for me is having a significant amount of chips, losing a monster pot and having to re-adapt to your new situation. It can often be tempting to be overly aggressive in an attempt to regain the chips you've lost and I think a lot of players will do this. By keeping composed and playing as optimally as possible after this has happened it will be beneficial to you long term if other opponents cannot keep composed in similar situations. Coping with negative variance is another aspect where you can gain at the expense of your opponents by being able to handle it better than them. I still struggle to cope with negative results but I'm getting better, using logic and reviewing your hands post game and being able to justify the merits of your play goes a long way towards a better state of mind when playing, as you know that eventually results will come good again. I've rambled a bit here but would like to add that I think treating the mental aspect of poker as a competition, is a good approach to take. Being mentally more solid then your opponents will be of benefit in the long run.
    Posted by FeelGroggy

Cheers for this Danny. You make some very good points!
  • edited October 2016
    UKPC2016 FIFTY SIXTH HAND:
    ====================

CHIP COUNT: 510K

Starting Hand: AsQh

PRE-FLOP

UTG limps (same guy who limped in one of the previous hands), HJ, (aggro guy to my right, who put me all in on the river when I had QQ in hand53), raises to 25K, I make it 65K with AQo from the CUTOFF and the BUTTON (a guy who'd been fairly quiet), shoves for just over 300K. It folds to me. To call or not to call, that is the question. :=)

My Thoughts:

3betting with AQ against an aggressive opener is standard play (for me anyway) at this stage. The decision now, is whether to call the short stack shove or not. What would you do?

CHIP COUNT AFTER HAND: ???

Feel free to add your thoughts on the merits of calling or folding.

Cheers,

G
  • edited October 2016
    In Response to Re: StayOrGo UKPC Hand Review: EMOTION, TILT, CAN YOU HANDLE IT?:
    UKPC2016 FIFTY SIXTH HAND: ==================== Blinds 5,000/10,000 Antie 1,000 CHIP COUNT: 510K Starting Hand: AsQh PRE-FLOP UTG limps (same guy who limped in one of the previous hands), HJ, (aggro guy to my right, who put me all in on the river when I had QQ in hand53), raises to 25K, I make it 65K with AQo from the CUTOFF and the BUTTON (a guy who'd been fairly quiet), shoves for just over 300K. It folds to me. To call or not to call, that is the question. :=) My Thoughts: 3betting with AQ against an aggressive opener is standard play (for me anyway) at this stage. The decision now, is whether to call the short stack shove or not. What would you do? CHIP COUNT AFTER HAND: ??? Feel free to add your thoughts on the merits of calling or folding. Cheers, G
    Posted by StayOrGo
    I'd have to fold. With the guy who's been quiet pushing after a raise and reraise along with the damage done to stack for lost hand. As it stands 445k chips is plenty to march on and wait for better spot.
  • edited October 2016
    Fold for me too there.

That looks like the wrong player to play AQ against. I suspect his range is JJ plus or AK. You look to be getting less than 2-1 on the extra 250k-ish. Against the aggro player that would be fine, but not v Mr Quiet-he is going to have AK (or KK/QQ) a lot there...
  • edited October 2016
    a 30 big re-shove after all the betting is a fold for me too better spot lays ahead hopefully
  • edited October 2016

This is easy to look at dispassionately away from the table but when I have been waiting for a good hand and look down preflop at AQ I think great I want action. I used to fail to reassess depending on the action as it unfolds.

By re-raising you have shown a lot of strength. The shove of 30BBs from what seems to be a fairly tight player should be a high pair or AK. At worst a medium pair. Do we really think he has AJ or worse?

Now had you flatted I think it would have been a more difficult decision. The raise showed you where you were.