You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Get in the Hole! 2012 Season. (HSBC Champions) Years Profit: -£130.75

edited December 2012 in Betting Chat
Just had a look at the money list odds for 2012. I think Webb Simpson could be in for a good year @ 16/1. But by far the standout odds are Keegan Bradley @ 100/1!! Since the guy burst onto the scene half way through the season he has been rock solid. No way is this guy 100/1. By no means would I say he is the favourite, but who would of thought Luke Donald would of done what he did in 2011...

I think McIlroy will win the R2D this year comfortably. Doubt I will bet on it though as the odds are too short for a year long bet. I've put £5 on Bradley, and I might ring up Sky and get them to place the double. What would the odds on the double be Mr stats man? 100/1 + 9/2

Comments

• edited October 2012
    Some of you may remember my weekly "Get in the Hole!" threads from last year.

Well the 2012 season is already upon us. The PGA Tour began this week with the Tournament of Champions. I've been busy playing poker all week, so didnt get a chance to make any selections.

This year I've decided to limit myself to £12's worth of golf bets per week. This will usually be 4 golfers @ £1.50 e/w each, covering both the PGA Tour and European Tour.

If all four of my bets dont look like winning, I will be strict with myself and not put any in-play bets on, like i did last year.

I'll keep this thread going all year and hopefully il be in profit by the end of 2012.

Please feel free to post your own picks on this thread too. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok then, so the current Tournament of Champions has completed 2 rounds. Its a Monday finish this year, so still 2 rounds to go.

Steve Stricker is currently 5 shots clear on -15.

My in-play bet is £5 on Jonathan Byrd to win w/o Stricker @ 8/1.

Byrd is currently on -8 just 2 shots behind 2nd placed Webb Simpson.

Byrd won this event last year and will be there or thereabouts.

Yearly Table Below <td class="xl26" style="border-bottom-width:0.5pt;border-bottom-style:solid;background-color:transparent;b
    EventPickOddsStakeResultProfitOverall Profit
    Champions EventJ.Byrd w/o Stricker8/1£5.00Lose-£5.00-£5.00
    Sony OpenDavid Toms40/1£1.50 e/wMC-£3.00-£8.00
    Sony OpenMark Wilson50/1£1.50 e/wMC-£3.00-£11.00
    Joburg OpenDanny Willett25/1£1.50 e/wT14-£3.00-£14.00
    Joburg OpenGeorge Coetzee20/1£1.50 e/wT14-£3.00-£17.00
    Sony Open**Charles Howell III**9/2£5 winT2-£5.00-£22.00
    Humana ChallengeBill Haas25/1£1.50 e/wT64-£3.00-£25.00
    Humana ChallengeJohn Rollins50/1£1.50 e/wT66-£3.00-£28.00
    VolvoRobert Karlsson16/1£1.50 e/wT12-£3.00-£31.00
    VolvoMateo Manassero40/1£1.50 e/w23-£3.00-£34.00
    Farmers InsGary Woodland45/1£1.50 e/wDNF-£3.00-£37.00
    Farmers InsAnthony Kim45/1£1.50 e/wMC-£3.00-£40.00
    Abu DhabiSergio Garcia25/1£1.50 e/wT12-£3.00-£43.00
    Abu DhabiNicolas Colsaerts66/1£1.50 e/wT24-£3.00-£46.00
     4 x e/w doubles £0.50 e/wLose-£4.00-£50.00
    Phoenix OpenRicky Fowler22/1£2 winT26-£2.00-£52.00
    Phoenix OpenBubba Watson35/1£2 winT5-£2.00-£54.00
    Qatar MastersRobert Karlsson22/1£2 winMC-£2.00-£56.00
    Qatar MastersFrancesco Molinari30/1£2 winT69-£2.00-£58.00
     4x e/w doubles £0.50 e/wLose-£4.00-£62.00
    Pebble BeachDA Points40/1£1.50 e/wT67-£3.00-£65.00
    Pebble BeachJB Jolmes100/1£1.50 e/wMC-£3.00-£68.00
    Dubai DesertPeter Hanson20/1£3 winT51-£3.00-£71.00
    Dubai DesertJean-Baptiste Gonnet50/1£1.50 e/wMC-£3.00-£74.00
     4x e/w doubles £0.50 e/wLose-£4.00-£78.00
    DoubleHarrington + McIlroy30/1£5 winLose-£5.00-£83.00
    Northern TrustKJ Choi40/1£1.50 e/wT24-£3.00-£86.00
    Northern TrustBill Haas50/1£1.50 e/w1£93.75£7.75
    AvanthaJoost Luiten16/1£3 winT17-£3.00£4.75
    AvanthaGregory Havret18/1£3 winT14-£3.00£1.75
     4x e/w doubles £0.50 e/wLose-£4.00-£2.25
    WGC MatchplayBubba Watson40/1£2 e/w2nd R-£4.00-£6.25
    WGC MatchplayCharl Schwartzel40/1£2 e/w2nd R-£4.00-£10.25
    WGC MatchplayWebb Simpson33/1£2 e/w1st R-£4.00-£14.25
    WGC MatchplayKyle Stanley25/1Free £5 e/w3rd R£0.00-£14.25
    WGC MatchplayAccas 
  • edited January 2012
    i had 5er e/w keegan @ 150/1 for the final major after impressing week before at bridgestone and leading with 5 to go. my birthday was sat 13th as well so to touch for almost a grand the next evening was fantastic feeling and i will be backing him for every major for the rest of his playing career i think he is a special talent and to blow lead previous week to almost do same final round of a major but to then miraculously get to a play off (remember the 40 foooter he sank, how sky sports news didnt select that in the top 6 shots of year i'll never know) showed great character and maturity for such a young golfer with world at his feet.
  • edited January 2012
    Hi guys,got a bit bored of the golf after the majors finished last year but got my appetite back for it now.
    For what its worth I will be backing Gary Woodland in most of the US tournies this year.Much improved player last year and got a great future ahead of him.

• edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2012 Season:
    Just had a look at the money list odds for 2012. I think Webb Simpson could be in for a good year @ 16/1. But by far the standout odds are Keegan Bradley @ 100/1!! Since the guy burst onto the scene half way through the season he has been rock solid. No way is this guy 100/1. By no means would I say he is the favourite, but who would of thought Luke Donald would of done what he did in 2011... I think McIlroy will win the R2D this year comfortably. Doubt I will bet on it though as the odds are too short for a year long bet. I've put £5 on Bradley, and I might ring up Sky and get them to place the double. What would the odds on the double be Mr stats man? 100/1 + 9/2
    Posted by FlashFlush

Yeh good price that.

The odds will be 555/1 i believe.

Jackda I'm liking the look of Woodland this year too. Already looking forward to the Masters!
  • edited January 2012
    Byrd is looking good for my bet, Laird needs to slow down a bit for me though.
  • edited January 2012
    Lost my bet by one shot! Byrd was looking good, then he bogeyed the 17th and failed to get a birdie on the par5 18th.

Hope this isnt a sign of things to come for my future bets!

#annoying
  • edited January 2012
    im on ryan palmer  at 40's  and 2 smaller bets on ryo ishikawa 80's and brian gay 40's in hawai for the sony open
  • edited January 2012
    January 12th-14th

European Tour - Joburg Open

First pick is Danny Willett. Decent event last week where he notched a top 10. Has also managed two top 5's in his last 3 visits to this tournament.

Second pick is George Coetzee. Hugely talented South African should impress on home soil, went close last year with a top 10 finish.

PGA Tour - Sony Open

First pick is David Toms. The course this week has very tight fairways, so accuracy will be a key attribute. Toms is your man when it comes to hitting fairways and greens. Had a very good 2011 and will hopefully kick start 2012 just as well. Very generous price too.

Second Pick is Mark Wilson. Last years winner is another solid accurate player. Very surprised to see his odds as long as there are.

EventPickOddsStakeSony OpenDavid Toms40/1£1.50 e/wSony OpenMark Wilson50/1£1.50 e/wJoburg OpenDanny Willett25/1£1.50 e/wJoburg OpenGeorge Coetzee20/1£1.50 e/w
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2012 Season:
    im on ryan palmer  at 40's  and 2 smaller bets on ryo ishikawa 80's and brian gay 40's in hawai for the sony open
    Posted by JIMMYRED2
    Solid picks there, course should suit all 3 of these guys. Gl
  • edited January 2012
    European tour : Jaco Van Zyl - 16/1 (£10)
    PGA Tour Keegan Bradley - 33/1  - £5/e/w)

Double £2 - 577/1
  • edited January 2012
    small e.w 50p double to put in the mood gl all with picks

GolfJoburg Open   Robert Rock @ 35/1 (Each Way: 1/4 for first 5 places.)GolfSony Open   Kevin Na @ 30/1 (Each Way: 1/4 for first 5 places.)
  • edited January 2012
    hello golf fans, nice to see a forum about this on here, i was beginning to think i was the only person around who bet on the golf ! its a great sport to bet on because its the only sport in which any player can win the event if things go their way and also it give massive oods for doing so and also gives you 4 days of interest if your player makes the cut, 2 days if he doesnt, unlike darts snooker and football betting is all over in a couple of hours max. i havnt really started betting yet this year as i like to watch closely the first few weks to see whos playing well after the festive break and also keep an eye on the youngsters coming through off the nationwide qualifiying tour in the states and the challenge qualifiying tour on the european side. i will sure be posting up any future bets i know place on here and also keeping an eye on all of your bets and rooting them on, unless they end up in a play off with my player obviously ! i will probably be starting my season of golf bets as of next week, hopefully it will be as profitable as the last few years as ive touched lucky a few times. i normally pick 2 players from the american tourney and 2 from the european tourney an i place 4 x 2.50 each way doubles, so 20 quid stake a week. i dont seem to bother placing wins unless its a major event really, although sometimes it back fires when one of your selections in the double wins and the other one comes last ! but if you do manage to get a double u can reep the rewards, my best doulbe to date going back a couple of seasons ago was a 2.50 each way double on hunter mahan in an american event at 33/1 and miguel angel jiminez also at 33/1 in a european event and they both came in, one won in a 3 hole play off to make the £3,000 return all the sweeter.  i have placed a ante post double on the US money list and the EURO money list for 2012, ive plumped for the ultra consistent MATT KUCHER on the US tour at 20/1, with 14 top 10 finishes last year he looks a good bet, if only he could of won an event he would of easily won the US money list last year but instead finished a respectable 3rd, my EUROPEAN selection is PETER HANSON at 40/1, also another consistent peformer who rareley finishes outside the top ten when he plays, he just needs to compete and win more often when in position to do so, to be honest though i cannot really see past WESTWOOD, DONALD , MCILROY AND KAYMER for the EURO tour but there prices dont really represent good value, especially for each way terms. Where as i think the US tour is more more wide open this year, also Mcilroy has chosen to split his time between the 2 tours this year and play both with the majority he will be playing in the US. So my ante post bet for anyone who is interested is.......................... MATT KUCHAR @ 20/1 FOR THE US MONEY LIST 1/4 ODDS 1,2,3,4.5 PLACES                                  PETER HANSON @40/1 FOR THE EURO MONEY LIST 1/4 ODDS 1,2,3,4,5
                                       £10 EACH WAY DOULBLE IS THE BET AT BOYLESPORTS.  
                      POTENTIAL RETURNS ARE £9,000 FOR THE WIN AND £700 FOR THE EACH WAY GIVE OR TAKE A FEW QUID, OH HOW I WOULD LOVE TO TAKE MR BOYLE FOR NEAR 10 GRAND,

I WOULD LIKE TO WISH ALL MY FELLOW GOLF PUNTERS ALL THE BEST FOR THE 2012 SEASON AND HOPE ITS A VERY PROFITABLE ONE FOR YOUS ALL, AND BASH THE BOOKIES !!!!!!    

• edited January 2012
    Huge welcome OJ. Great to have someone else involved and you clearly know your stuff!
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2012 Season. (Jan 12-14 picks up) Years Profit: -£5.00:
    Huge welcome OJ. Great to have someone else involved and you clearly know your stuff!
    Posted by splashies
    cheers splashies, nice to meet you. its good to have people to share your good luck and hard luck stories with on a  weekly basis, do u play golf or are you just a golf punter ? i am a self confessed golfoholic and play as much as i can, sun, wind, rain, sleet or snow i,m still normally hacking it up the fairway !
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2012 Season. (Jan 12-14 picks up) Years Profit: -£5.00:
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2012 Season. (Jan 12-14 picks up) Years Profit: -£5.00 : cheers splashies, nice to meet you. its good to have people to share your good luck and hard luck stories with on a  weekly basis, do u play golf or are you just a golf punter ? i am a self confessed golfoholic and play as much as i can, sun, wind, rain, sleet or snow i,m still normally hacking it up the fairway !
    Posted by oj_simps
    I started playing about a year ago. I'm honestly not very good at it, which is annoying because im super competitive. I think some lessons may be in order.

But yeh its such an addictive sport and great to watch when you have a bet or two on it.
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2012 Season. (Jan 12-14 picks up) Years Profit: -£5.00 : I started playing about a year ago. I'm honestly not very good at it, which is annoying because im super competitive. I think some lessons may be in order. But yeh its such an addictive sport and great to watch when you have a bet or two on it.
    Posted by splashies
    i agree totally its mad when you have had a bet on it and there right in the mix coming up the stretch, ive had some heartbreakers on the final hole, waiting for a player for a few grand who was 2 shots clear going up 18th then dumps his tee shot in the water and double bogeys then gets beat in a play off, but on the flip side ive had a player going up the last a couple of shots back and he pitches in for eagle then goes on to win a play off, so suppose it evens itself out over the 10 years ive been betting on it.                                                         
    @ insults, then LOL_RAISE got in on the chat and rubbed salt in his wounds then all this messin about in the chat got me head wrecked an i started playing silly hands and lost a few then bustout before the 1st break, instead of just walking away from the computer and sitting out for a while until the field had shortened down as i was chip leader in the early stages and average stack at the break was 14,000 chips and i was sitting on 25,00 after half an hour, i was gutted for about a week after it happened knowing i should of and could of went alot further and maybe cashed in the tournament for a tidy sum but things just went wrong and i got over excited, but you learn from things like that dont you. I vowed never to play again after that as a new years resolution but it didnt last long. Anyway hows your game a the poker tables, are you just a recreational player or do you try and earn a wage from it ?
  • edited January 2012
    @OJ. Thankfully my poker is slightly better than my betting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right then, not the best week with the golf bets. Coetzee was in with a great shout all week until his back 9 today. Oh well.

Good luck to those who still have a hope in Hawaii tonight.

EventPickOddsStakeResultProfitOverall ProfitChampions EventJ.Byrd w/o Stricker8/1£5.00Lose-£5.00-£5.00Sony OpenDavid Toms40/1£1.50 e/wMC-£3.00-£8.00Sony OpenMark Wilson50/1£1.50 e/wMC-£3.00-£11.00Joburg OpenDanny Willett25/1£1.50 e/wT14-£3.00-£14.00Joburg OpenGeorge Coetzee20/1£1.50 e/wT14-£3.00-£17.00
  • edited January 2012
    Decided to break my rule of no in-play bets this year.

Looking at the current leaderboard and Charles Howell III stands out for me.

Had £5 to win @ 9/2
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2012 Season. (Jan 12-14 picks up) Years Profit: -£17.00:
    Decided to break my rule of no in-play bets this year. Looking at the current leaderboard and Charles Howell III stands out for me. Had £5 to win @ 9/2
    Posted by splashies
    lol your so weak!!

I'm looking at my bets positively. Jaco came joint 3rd (Although it was a 6 way tie) I didn't have him E/w but even if I did, it would of been something silly like £2 return! Keegan Bradely is still in with a fighting chance, kind of... I have him e/w which is deffo winnable, but for him to scoop 1st I think he needs to shoot close to -7 / -8 which doesn't look possible considering the scoring so far this week. I want him to get a -4 or maybe a -5 today and that should see him into the top 5 comfortably. (and be close to the top of the PGA tour money list ranking).

Overal, for the 1st week of betting for me, its been a positive sign.
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2012 Season. (Jan 12-14 picks up) Years Profit: -£17.00:
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2012 Season. (Jan 12-14 picks up) Years Profit: -£17.00 : lol your so weak!! I'm looking at my bets positively. Jaco came joint 3rd (Although it was a 6 way tie) I didn't have him E/w but even if I did, it would of been something silly like £2 return! Keegan Bradely is still in with a fighting chance, kind of... I have him e/w which is deffo winnable, but for him to scoop 1st I think he needs to shoot close to -7 / -8 which doesn't look possible considering the scoring so far this week. I want him to get a -4 or maybe a -5 today and that should see him into the top 5 comfortably. (and be close to the top of the PGA tour money list ranking). Overal, for the 1st week of betting for me, its been a positive sign.
    Posted by FlashFlush
    I know lol. I said i'd give up booze for a month too. That was an epic fail too!

Be good viewing to see Bradley go close. Gl.

• edited January 2012
    I know its very early days, but I'm wishing now I'd backed Bradley for the PGA money list on his own at 100/1 and not just part of a double. Doubt I'll see those odds again!
  • edited January 2012
    I did some bet in play last night as well. I stayed up to watch a bit of the golf, then realised I wasn't tired so was still up at about 2.30!

Shame Keegan Bradley couldn't capitalise on his eagle @ 9 but when he bogeys the next hole you know its not going to be his day.

There were about 4 or 5 tied for the lead at one stage so I had a look through their last few days to see who had the best back 9's. Johnson Wagner by far had the best back 9's and also looked very calm while all the others were losing their heads. Just as I was looking at this he held a birdie to take the lead on his own so I quickly put £20 on at 3/1. I stayed watching it and by far he looked the most solid. I checked the odds again a couple of holes later and he was still @ 2/1. I couldn't see anyone putting up a fight so I put another £50 on him. Shortly after that they put up a caption which showed how much better Wagner had been performing on the back 9 compared to everyone else and his odds suddenly went down to 11/8. So timed it right!

Nice little return of £230 (160 profit)
  • edited January 2012
    I did some bet in play last night as well. I stayed up to watch a bit of the golf, then realised I wasn't tired so was still up at about 2.30! Shame Keegan Bradley couldn't capitalise on his eagle @ 9 but when he bogeys the next hole you know its not going to be his day. There were about 4 or 5 tied for the lead at one stage so I had a look through their last few days to see who had the best back 9's. Johnson Wagner by far had the best back 9's and also looked very calm while all the others were losing their heads. Just as I was looking at this he held a birdie to take the lead on his own so I quickly put £20 on at 3/1. I stayed watching it and by far he looked the most solid. I checked the odds again a couple of holes later and he was still @ 2/1. I couldn't see anyone putting up a fight so I put another £50 on him. Shortly after that they put up a caption which showed how much better Wagner had been performing on the back 9 compared to everyone else and his odds suddenly went down to 11/8. So timed it right! Nice little return of £230 (160 profit)
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Very nice! I watched it all too. Cant believe how everyone else totally bottled it.

Nice return there mate!
  • edited January 2012
    Has anyone entered the fantasy race to dubai? If a few of you have then we should start a mini league...
  • edited January 2012
    This weeks bets:

European tour: 

Thomas Aiken has been very consistant recently, especially while over in SA, so I think he is a good shout to scoop the lot this week. 18/1 is an OK price although not great.

Alex Noren is a very good player, and capable of winning anything when he plays his best game. Hopefully the rest has done him good and I think he will come out fireing in his 1st tournament on the season. 25/1 is a decent price

Thomas Aiken - 18/1 - win only £10
    Alex Noren - 25/1 - win only £10

PGA Tour

Carl Petterson had a very good final round and is looking very dangerous, he finished very well after having a double bogie early in the round as well as a bogie free 1st round. 45/1 very good price.

Jason Dufner has been up there and challenging quite often towards the end of the season last year, and is always a threat. @ 66/1 thats very juicey!

Matt Kuchar is the best player in the field and if he plays well he shouldn't have a lot of problems this week, but he hasn't played much at the end of last year and maybe a bit rusty. Can't turn him down at 16/1.

Carl Petterson - 45/1 - £7.50 e/w
    Jason Dufner - 66/1 - £7.50 e/w
    Matt Kuchar - 16/1 - win only £15
  • edited January 2012
    Forgot to put my selections up last week but fwiw I backed Johnson and Sabbatini(both average) so this week I'l put mine up early so I dont forget.

PGA TOUR
    C.Howell@25/1 £5 e/w -Overdue a win as was very consistent towards end of last year and started well this.Admittedly finds it hard to win when pressure on but hey-ho.
    B.Cauley@66/1 £2.50e/w -Only 21 but got a big future ahead of him and would sooner back him at that price then one of the older guys like Mickleson at a fifth of the price.
  • edited January 2012
    PGA Tour - Humana Challenge

Bill Haas -  Winner of this in '10 and runner up last year.

John Rollins - Excellent week last week where hhe improved on his score in all four rounds. A previous runner up here too. Decent price.

European Tour - Volvo Champions

Robert Karlsson - Top 5 finish last here last year and a class act.

Mateo Manassero - Top 15 here last year. Should be a big year for him too and will be looking to start the year well to give himself a great chance of making the Ryder Cup team later in the year.

Good luck with your bets.

EventPickOddsStake
    Humana ChallengeBill Haas25/1£1.50 e/w
    Humana ChallengeJohn Rollins50/1£1.50 e/w
    VolvoRobert Karlsson16/1£1.50 e/w
    VolvoMateo Manassero40/1£1.50 e/w
  • edited January 2012

Glad the golf season is up and running and really like your posts Splashies to see who you think is good value.
    Just wondering who you all think maybe the Player who really comes good this season.
    I just have a sneaky feeling that it maybe the season for RICKIE FOWLER. Didnt play last week and noticed he isnt in the field this week tho. Injured perhaps ?.
    Won Rookie of the year 2010 and its time to get consistent and step up to the mark.

• edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2012 Season. (Jan 19-22 picks up) Years Profit: -£25.00:
    Glad the golf season is up and running and really like your posts Splashies to see who you think is good value. Just wondering who you all think maybe the Player who really comes good this season. I just have a sneaky feeling that it maybe the season for RICKIE FOWLER. Didnt play last week and noticed he isnt in the field this week tho. Injured perhaps ?. Won Rookie of the year 2010 and its time to get consistent and step up to the mark.
    Posted by ALFIE123
    Fowler will be playing for the first time nest week, at the Farmers Insurance Open. He needs to really kick on this year and get his first win under his belt.

For me, the player who will make a big breakthrough this year will be Gary Woodland. Jackda mentioned his name in an earlier post too.

• edited January 2012
    Going to go for

Carl Petterson and
    Brandt Snedeker  both e/w

Petterson seems to perform consistent and always like backing Snedeker. He is a bit streaky but can be very hot