You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Lambert180 ----- Life After The Grind -------

Comments

• edited April 2016
    ha , wd , stick it in the roll
  • edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- Lolpro and Onwards -------:
    Well I was just almost sick!! I saw Sky were doing a little offer giving you £2 to play live roulette, and I'm a proper nit so I do this kinda stuff lol. The £2 was in the form of 8 x 25p chips and you gotta wager £20 total to be able to make it 'real money' so plan was to keep betting £2 on red/black and if I make it 10 spins then I've won a few quid... Did first spin on red, won, all very nice. Then I stuck all of (what I thought were) the promo chips onto red again. Except I was actually flicking on £100 chips onto red, and what I didn't realise about live roulette (online) is that you only get like a 60 second window, if that, to place your bets, you don't need to click confirm or anything, if they're still there at the end of the 60 seconds, it's locked in. I realised what I'd done about 10 seconds after putting the chips on, frantically tried to get them off and then saw her spin the ball :( Thankfully, I 'only' ended up with £300 on it, but I felt absolutely grim for those 30 seconds while it was spinning. Anyone who knows me, knows I'm a massiveeee nit and it'd probably hurt me to lose £20 on roulette, so felt pretty sick having £300 on the line. Huge chuk of rungood though landed it on red and I'm now +£300 :D heart is still pounding though!!
    Posted by Lambert180
    That 300 was meant to be buy yourself something cool with it I barred myself from the little green leprechaun too dangerous never mind roulette lol run golden on the tables
  • edited April 2016
    Well I was just almost sick!! I saw Sky were doing a little offer giving you £2 to play live roulette, and I'm a proper nit so I do this kinda stuff lol. The £2 was in the form of 8 x 25p chips and you gotta wager £20 total to be able to make it 'real money' so plan was to keep betting £2 on red/black and if I make it 10 spins then I've won a few quid... Did first spin on red, won, all very nice. Then I stuck all of (what I thought were) the promo chips onto red again. Except I was actually flicking on £100 chips onto red, and what I didn't realise about live roulette (online) is that you only get like a 60 second window, if that, to place your bets, you don't need to click confirm or anything, if they're still there at the end of the 60 seconds, it's locked in. I realised what I'd done about 10 seconds after putting the chips on, frantically tried to get them off and then saw her spin the ball :( Thankfully, I 'only' ended up with £300 on it, but I felt absolutely grim for those 30 seconds while it was spinning. Anyone who knows me, knows I'm a massiveeee nit and it'd probably hurt me to lose £20 on roulette, so felt pretty sick having £300 on the line. Huge chuk of rungood though landed it on red and I'm now +£300 :D heart is still pounding though!!
    Posted by Lambert180
    Just because you make a story up on your diary doesn't mean Emma will believe you weren't having a Saturday night punt!

Given the lack of updates that are poker related, can a mod move this to The rail/Betting Chat...or maybe even BBV may be better!
  • edited April 2016
    +1 move to rail
  • edited April 2016
    Lambert wins a big flip shocker.

Must be a sign.

GL.
  • edited April 2016
    iv,e not read all this thread only the last couple of months hoping things pick up for lambert,he dispenses alot of poker related advice as well as doing this poker journal he does one post containing some punting on a roulette and some people want it moved to the rail.i,m hoping the posts were tongue in cheek but i doubt it
    he,s going through a bit of a difficult time give the bloke a break.
    wd on the prio win Paul
  • edited April 2016
    iv,e not read all this thread only the last couple of months hoping things pick up for lambert,he dispenses alot of poker related advice as well as doing this poker journal he does one post containing some punting on a roulette and some people want it moved to the rail.i,m hoping the posts were tongue in cheek but i doubt it he,s going through a bit of a difficult time give the bloke a break. wd on the prio win Paul
    Posted by stokefc
    Well said
  • edited April 2016
    Hope you are able to get the relevant help from all the various agencies that can help your daughter.  Most important part of poker is being in the right frame of mind to play and with the issues with your daughter at the moment you wont be playing at your 100% best with them issues hanging over your head.  Hope they are able to help you and your family. Also with dyms im not sure how much money there is to be made in them games, sure you will be profitable but by how much?  I was speaking to timmy at the wkend who i know crushes them but if youve now got about 3 or 4 decent regs in the game which has a low edge due to the nature of it im not sure how much you can expect to make longterm from that game. Think you can still play them and flick in 1 or 2 on the side when your table count is low i would do this occasionally. But unless your on a very high rakeback deal like 30% plus some rakeraces added in which isnt the case on here im not sure how much value there is in them games longterm.
    Posted by bearlyther

Rakeback if you are in priority is 30%+

20% for getting 2k points + weekely and also the 10% plus for 10k+ monthly points
  • edited April 2016
    Hope you are able to get the relevant help from all the various agencies that can help your daughter.  Most important part of poker is being in the right frame of mind to play and with the issues with your daughter at the moment you wont be playing at your 100% best with them issues hanging over your head.  Hope they are able to help you and your family. Also with dyms im not sure how much money there is to be made in them games, sure you will be profitable but by how much?  I was speaking to timmy at the wkend who i know crushes them but if youve now got about 3 or 4 decent regs in the game which has a low edge due to the nature of it im not sure how much you can expect to make longterm from that game. Think you can still play them and flick in 1 or 2 on the side when your table count is low i would do this occasionally. But unless your on a very high rakeback deal like 30% plus some rakeraces added in which isnt the case on here im not sure how much value there is in them games longterm.
    Posted by bearlyther

Rakeback if you are in priority is 30%+

20% for getting 2k points + weekely and also the 10% plus for 10k+ monthly points
  • edited April 2016
    Found this in poker chat.
    How's things Paul?
  • edited April 2016
    Firstly, thanks for asking Paul.

It's been up and down since I last posted, it was mostly down tbh but things seem to be on the up of late. The kids were off school for 2 weeks at easter (about 2 weeks ago) and that was definitely the worst Lily has ever been in terms of anxiety, screamingg, swearing etc.

Towards the end of the half term Leah came down with chicken pox and missed the first week back of school, then as she got better and went to school Lily came down with it too lol. So atm Leah is now back at school and Lily is off. The few days Lily was back at school though the teachers seemed to be amazed at how much better she was behaving, she was happily doing things that she was told to, and was getting on with work (albeit still out of the classroom), almost no swearing or shouting and just seemed much happier being in school.

It's annoyingly to see that upswing interrupted by her being off school ill but hopefully she'll carry on as she was when she goes back to school.

I'm feeling a lot less stressed now and I think Emma is too, we're getting a bit more support now, financially (she's been bumped up to the high level of care element of DLA) and mentally. We got lots more appointments in the calender, she's got an ECHP on the way, and she seems happier in herself recently.

Poker wise, my volume has been about as good as Pingu :D I think I've logged in to the download client once so far in April. For once though it's not poor volume while I've planned to go big, it's a planned absence, my heads just not in the right place atm for it. Luckily I have other sources of income so no pressure there.

How goes it with you?
  • edited April 2016
    Really glad that things seem to be on the up Paul.

Me?
    Just keeping myself to myself like normal. No dramas.
    :)
  • edited April 2016
    Cheers, I forgot to mention in my last post, but still going strong with the not smoking. I had to get the calender out on my PC to check for this post but it'll be 22 weeks this Thursday so nearly 6 months. To be honest, it can still feel frustrating that it doesn't feel like it's all done with by now and that I never want one at all.

I watched a programme on TV last night, dunno if anyone saw it, was one of those Louis Theroux shows. I love him, everytime I see one of his shows I always tell myself I'm gonna go find his back catalogue and watch them all, then never get round to doing it. Anyway, this one was called something like Drinking to Oblivion and was about alchoholics, recovering and not. There was 1 bloke on there where I just couldn't help but shed a tear, the first time he was on the show he was talking to Louis about how he'd sorted himself out, what it used to be like for him, and how he was clean now etc. Long story short, they found him smashed in some park, got him to hospital to hopefully get him on the road to rehab and Louis asked what had happened cos he'd been doing so well. He said that his ex girlfriend was just refusing to speak to him and he couldn't hack it, Louis asked him how long he'd stopped drinking for prior to this and he said 4 years and the bloke was just in floods of tears.

What a horrible situation, to be able to go from 4 years of doing great to rock bottom again and back to square 1 so quick. As Louis said in summary at one point, he'd started out judging these people and it's easy to do it, but almost all of them are just people who have hit hard times in life and unlike some of us, just haven't been strong enough to handle it, or haven't had the support from friends/family to get through it. Grim.

One of the people on the show summed it up well, he said he was so happy that finally doctors were actually helping to treat the cause of his problems (depression, anxiety etc) and not the consequences of those problems (the drink etc).
  • edited April 2016
    Louis' old stuff is considerably better than his more recent. I can't even watch this latest one due to the subject matter.
    The Weird Weekends (eg, the UFO hunters in America) and When Louis Met... (eg Jimmy Savile) were TV gold.

• edited April 2016
    A Place for Paedophiles was very interesting, wouldn't say it was old nor new Theroux, more in the middle. Not an easy watch like most of his stuff, but it raised many interesting/difficult questions and points.
  • edited June 2016
    Hello all,

It's been a while since I've posted much on the forum, although I have been lurking/reading bits and bobs. I think StayorGos thread is the only thing I've posted on of late actually, I've been really enjoying that thread, and it's helping to get the poker brain working a bit again.

I've had a pretty long break from poker now, a few weeks ago I did dip my toe back in the water a little, I played some regular SnGs, some DYMs, and a few MTTs, and annoyingly there was one recurring theme, I am very quick to feel tilted. I think I was just too focussed on short term results, or more accurately, wanting to win and being annoyed if I don't. I was supposed to be easing myself back in anyway and trying to make it enjoyable and it wasn't so I stopped again.

I was listening to an old podcast the other day that I still have on my iPod from years ago, think it's called a OneOuter podcast, it was an interview with Neil Channing anyway, about 2-3hr long in total and it reminded me of a lot of the reasons why I used to love poker, and has given me the urge to play again.

I am however feeling really rusty, I'd been a bit lazy with study as it was before I stopped grinding lots and with a bit break on top I feel really rusty, so I'm gonna do something to try and give myself a refresher/re-assess my play when I start playing again. Any suggestions for how to do this would be great. 

I might try Graham's idea of posting all the hands from 1 particular MTT because as e points out, it's easy to focus on all the big flips etc andd not on the smaller hands where you could have won more/lost less.

==========================

Things are still very up and down at home, but probably a bit more up recently. Lily has now been diagnosed with Tourettes which is really good actually cos we've thought for a while that she had it but the official diagnosis now means the school have to stop telling her off for her outbursts in school because as it was they were telling her off and it was just stressing her out (as it would if someone told you to stop doing something that you're physically not capable of stopping) and she just does it more the more she gets stressed so it was a vicious circle.

She's so much happier going in to school this past week or two since the diagnosis which I can only assume is because she's not being told off when she shouts stuff out etc.

============================

Hope to see you all back on the tables very soon!

• edited October 2016
    Hello all!

This could turn into quite a chunky post as it's been so long since my last, but I'll try to keep it concise...

Poker
    Done vvv little of this for the last 6 months or so, just really lost my enjoyment of the game which I'm sure wasn't hard to see from previous diary posts. Luckily I have another very solid/reliable income that I can do from home so there's no pressure on the £££ front

Family

Lily has been great since school started again in September, obviously none of her conditions are going to go away but she just seems to be coping with them a lot better. I'm less stressed on a day to day basis, largely thanks to not playing poker, I don't have to put in as many hours with my current 'sideline' to still earn a solid income and it's stress free so I just feel more chilled and have more time to be around to help Emma and help with kids etc. 

Other Life Stuff

Still haven't smoked, in a few weeks I'll hit the 1 year milestone of stopping, so that's a great achievement. Also, anyone who is mates with me on FB might have seen that I've taken a leaf out of Dohhhhh's book and got into running. For anyone who doesn't know I've been good mates with JJ for probably 5-6 years now, and I was already pretty inspired by his 'life rehab' and his running exploits. Then after he'd done his half marathon he asked me and a couple of the Sky guys I chat to if we'd fancy doing a half marathon with him.

I've committed to doing a half marathon with him anyway so the training has begun. I might not have been in as bad a state as Dohhh was but I was bloody unfit, I've started out with that 'Couch to 5k' around 5 weeks ago and it was genuinely a biggggg struggle to be able to run for 90 seconds straight at that point. Now my PB was my last run where I managed to run just shy of 5 miles in just over an hour.

I'm amazed at how quickly I've built up to that like cos I've worked out in the past (yearssss ago now) but never really did cardio so was always terrible at stamina/endurance stuff. Still a long way to go to being able to do a half marathon though.

Probably left out loads of stuff so feel free to ask questions or w/e

Paul

• edited October 2016
    Glad to see the important stuff is going well.

Cant recommend the plo8 tables enough for anyone looking for a change and to stimulate the brain cells in a relaxed friendly atmosphere.
  • edited October 2016
    I missed your post back in June, and they soon disappear down the list, so great to hear from you again, and glad everything is going much better with Lily and the family.

FANTASTIC achievement to have managed to stay off the ciggies too with the amount of stress you were going thru'. really WELL DONE mate, and getting into running will definitely get the lungs back working properly.

GOOD LUCK with the half marathon, and keep us all posted with how you get on

Best wishes

JEZ      (MISTY4ME)
  • edited October 2016
    Cheers Phantom

Yeah I've just been messing about with cheap SnGs on stars recently but I might have to give PLO8 a go. I really am totallyyyy clueless about the game/hand selection preflop/anything like. I can just about say I'm competent at regular PLO but have probably played <20 hands of PLO8 ever.

Cheers Jez, yeah and Emma (the other half) has stopped as well now and is around the 6 month mark which is great. It's definitely been a good 6 months all round and I'm sure I will get myself back in to poker sometime soon.
  • edited October 2016
    Welcome back Lambert. I,d just get back into it gradually. I,d also look at how much time you want to put into it. I,ve had abreak for a while and realised i could be making some money sat in front of my computer all day but i,d rather be out doing other things now even if means having less or no money. Its all about your general wellbeing

I did notice the running on facebook and for me its seeing more and more people get into it thats got me going, although i feel like a complete novice having only just managed 2k on a treadmill and still not timing myself yet. I,m doing more of swimming tho and spending some time in the gym. I wish i was doing this more when i was playing poker for hours a day and would certainly reccomend it to anyone who plays poker full-time.

Can i ask about the sideline - is it what we talked about on facebook a while back? If it is i did sign up for it for a month or 2 but had a few issues with it. Considering trying another month though but was worried about how much time i,d need to spend on it for a worthwhile profit.

or is it something completely new?

MP
  • edited October 2016

Good to hear things are ok Paul.

Yeah, please tell us about your side line, if you can. Or does it involve the resale of hub caps? ;)

I hope to see you, GaryQQQ and JJ (and a few others who are taking it up) all crossing the line together in Sky Poker hoodies at the London Marathon before 2025.
  • edited October 2016
    Cheers MP, yeah deffo agree about general well being. Yeah, I'm really enjoying the running, I've got an app on my phone to track my runs which is great for motivation, it feeds my competetive nature cos I can compete against myself/try to make my next run further/faster/whatever.

Yeah the sideline is the thing I mentioned to you a while ago, I won't go on about it here because I suspect it's not 'allowed' but yeah I can't recommend enough that you give it a proper go, I've been doing it about 6 months now and I'm well into 5 figures of profit, and unlike poker (for me) it's totally stress free and doesn't require as much time spent either which is good for family time. 

@Alan or anyone else, you can PM me or just message me on FB if you wanna know what I'm talking about but I don't think I can discuss it here.

Sounds like a great idea that Alan, I was looking at Gary's running stats online the other day and he is an absolute beast!! It's amazing the pace he can keep up over something like a full marathon... faster than I can keep up during like a 5k! 
  • edited October 2016
    Man, momemtum really does seem to be so important with the running! Since I started running, I've had 2 mini breaks from it (by that I just mean more than 2-3 days without a run) and both times it's been brutallll coming back.

Things were hectic last week with the kids being off for half term so didn't get a chance to run last week. Went for a run this morning to get back on it and it was harddddd. My last run was just over an hour and just shy of 5 miles, today I had to stop after like 1.6 miles. Blaming it on the break andd Mondayzz.

Played the odd bit of poker of late, just whatever I've fancied really, some HU SnGs, some DYMs, some regular SnGs, some cash and my first UKOPS event too. It was one of the 22bhs and I got a couple of heads in it but bust in something like the mid 50s with 40 paid.

Gonna be playing a few more UKOPS (and non UKOPS) events anyway so will see how it goes. Shows how long I've been away from Sky btw, has the whole Main/Mini concept been scrapped now? I just always remember there being a UKOPS Mini per night around the £5-11 BI but seems like £22 is as low as they go now?

Gl everyone else playing UKOPS.
  • edited October 2016
    Re jackpot...

The jackpot promo page says...

"During UKOPS XVII the Final Table Jackpot will be awarded to any player who manages to final table both the 8pm UKOPS XVII Main Event and the usual 8:30pm Mini Event in the same evening.

However I couldnt see one last night. There is one in the schedule tonight.
  • edited November 2016
    Cheers Phantom. There is no mention of any 8:30pm event for any day on the UKOPS schedule page that I can see and nothing labelled as UKOPS in that slot in the lobby either.

There's a 'Mini Hitman' at 8:30pm tonight, is that the right one but it just isn't a UKOPS event? I don't understand why they aren't still labelling the 'mini' event each night as part of UKOPS.

Dunno if anyone else watched it but DTD live streamed the FT of the first DevilFish Cup last night, was really good viewing. It was a really full of 'names' as well, Ian Simpson, Simon Deadman and Barny Boatman to name a few. As always it made me wanna play some poker

Anyway, gonna be playing the 22s andd 55 bh tonight so gl anyone else playing.

Most of you won't know but I finally become an old man and turn the big 30 tomorrow! Not doing anything too major, we're going to our favourite (indian) restaurant tomorrow night though <3 then might be doing something on the weekend.

That reminds me actually, I got a brand new laptop a couple of weeks ago. My mum phoned me up asking if I'd like a new laptop for my 30th (I've got a pretty high spec PC for the pokerz but my laptop is like 8yr old easy and been on death's door for a long time), so I mentioned it to Emma and that forced Emma to admit she'd already bought me one for my birthday otherwise I'd  have ended up with two! Loving it, it's just SO fast at doing everything, and I dunno why loads of people hate Windows 10, seems fine to me so far.
  • edited November 2016
    It's the standard mini as oposed to a "UKOPS" mini. It is not a UKOPS event but counts for the bonus as far as I can make out.

Presumably because the larger and smaller UKOPs events have been split to separate weeks. Next week is "mini UKOPs".

I assume next week the standard mains will be on and the UKOPS minis will be the minis for bonus purposes?
  • edited November 2016
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- Life After The Grind -------:
    Cheers Phantom. There is no mention of any 8:30pm event for any day on the UKOPS schedule page that I can see and nothing labelled as UKOPS in that slot in the lobby either. There's a 'Mini Hitman' at 8:30pm tonight, is that the right one but it just isn't a UKOPS event? I don't understand why they aren't still labelling the 'mini' event each night as part of UKOPS. Dunno if anyone else watched it but DTD live streamed the FT of the first DevilFish Cup last night, was really good viewing. It was a really full of 'names' as well, Ian Simpson, Simon Deadman and Barny Boatman to name a few. As always it made me wanna play some poker Anyway, gonna be playing the 22s andd 55 bh tonight so gl anyone else playing. Most of you won't know but I finally become an old man and turn the big 30 tomorrow! Not doing anything too major, we're going to our favourite (indian) restaurant tomorrow night though <3 then might be doing something on the weekend. That reminds me actually, I got a brand new laptop a couple of weeks ago. My mum phoned me up asking if I'd like a new laptop for my 30th (I've got a pretty high spec PC for the pokerz but my laptop is like 8yr old easy and been on death's door for a long time), so I mentioned it to Emma and that forced Emma to admit she'd already bought me one for my birthday otherwise I'd  have ended up with two! Loving it, it's just SO fast at doing everything, and I dunno why loads of people hate Windows 10, seems fine to me so far.
    Posted by Lambert180

Hi Paul.

The 'minis' this week are not part of UKOPS, but are included in the Jackpot deal as normal. There is a full week of MINI UKOPS coming up next week FWIW.

Congrats on reaching the big three O......all down hill for you now ;)

I watched some of that FT last night. Yes, it was good to see so many good players on it. I would have liked to see Boris Becker on it but glad to see he min cashed anyway.

• edited November 2016
    It's the standard mini as oposed to a "UKOPS" mini. It is not a UKOPS event but counts for the bonus as far as I can make out. Presumably because the larger and smaller UKOPs events have been split to separate weeks. Next week is "mini UKOPs". I assume next week the standard mains will be on and the UKOPS minis will be the minis for bonus purposes?
    Posted by Phantom66
    Ahhhh that makes sense then, I didn't realise there was a mini ukops next week as well.
  • edited November 2016
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- Life After The Grind ------- : Hi Paul. The 'minis' this week are not part of UKOPS, but are included in the Jackpot deal as normal. There is a full week of MINI UKOPS coming up next week FWIW. Congrats on reaching the big three O......all down hill for you now ;) I watched some of that FT last night. Yes, it was good to see so many good players on it. I would have liked to see Boris Becker on it but glad to see he min cashed anyway.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Cheers Alan, yeah all downhill from here.