You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Lambert180 ----- Life After The Grind -------

Comments

• edited January 2016
    Good luck Lambert for 2016 pretty sure your hit your targets not 1 main but maybe 2/3 glglglglgl.

• edited January 2016
    Cheers Timmy, really hope so!

It's great timing for me to implement my plan of grinding DYMs in the mornings as it double points week :) I couldn't play earlier in the week cos the kids were still off school but they went back today so I got my first session in this morning, about 9:15am until 1pm.

Liqudity was slow at first given it was 9am, but picked up very quick. Dunno how many games I played or how I did at various stakes cos it's just too hard to track in game when you got loads of tables so I just noted my starting balance at start and end of session.

Session started pretty rough, couldn't win a race to save my life, then I god moded the rest of the session to turn it around. So made about 850 points and was +£50

If anyone has a SS subscription it'd be great if you could post a DYM graph/stats for me either for today or for all of January. Even better if you could break it down by stakes :P (I've played 3s, 5s (turbo and regular), 11s, 16.50s, and 22s)

===========================

Still can't get much going with MTTs but I'm about +£100 at DYMs this month so that covers some of the losses. I did win an 11bh last session for £200 but that with a few other heads made it an only just break even session (+£2.80). Had a few deep runs, one on stars the other night in my favourite stars comp, the $27KO turbo, it's gets vv shallow at the end and I bust AT<KT :( coming 35th out of 1279 runners for abuot $100, was $4.4k ftw + heads.

Points total 1929 for the month so going well for Prio, hope to make it to at least 5k before the end of this double points week.

==============

Still not smoking and it's become vv easy/something I don't even think about anymore. Not been keeping track of dates myself so had to go and look thru my diary to find the date when I quit, and it'll be 6 weeks tomorrow. 
  • edited January 2016
    ^^^above post explains a lot.

So if you are not really just bumhunting me, then please stop flopping quads.

Otherwise, GL.
  • edited January 2016
    Cheers Phantom. I did stop flopping quads and just stopped winning hands full stop for the latter half of my session. I only bumped into you in the £2s by accident tbh, I'm not sure how it happened, I must have misclicked some £2s while I was regging all the games. 

For some reason (well the reason is just plain old variance) I'm getting absolutely hammered at the £5s, that wouldn't be so bad normally cos they're the smallest ones I'm playing but liquidity seemed a lot worse today than yest so I was having to play loadssss of £5s Luckily I'm continuing to be a luckbox so far at DYMs so did well in my bigger games. Was regging everything from £5 - £33 between 9am and 12:30pm and during that time only 2 x £33 games ran, thankfully I won them both.

Another 992 points earned and was +£83.50

Total points for the month now = 2941 and I'll be back later tonight for some MTTs.

I dunno if he wants to be named (he might get everyone asking then!) so I won't and I'll leave it up to him if he wants to say but someone after my post yesterday vvv kindly PM'd me with their login details for SS so I could use them. Tyty for that, very kind. And so I'll do some graphs/stats on my DYMs for the year so far....

• edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- Lolpro and Onwards -------:
    Cheers Phantom. I did stop flopping quads and just stopped winning hands full stop for the latter half of my session. I only bumped into you in the £2s by accident tbh, I'm not sure how it happened, I must have misclicked some £2s while I was regging all the games.  For some reason (well the reason is just plain old variance) I'm getting absolutely hammered at the £5s, that wouldn't be so bad normally cos they're the smallest ones I'm playing but liquidity seemed a lot worse today than yest so I was having to play loadssss of £5s Luckily I'm continuing to be a luckbox so far at DYMs so did well in my bigger games. Was regging everything from £5 - £33 between 9am and 12:30am and during that time only 2 x £33 games ran, thankfully I won them both. Another 992 points earned and was +£83.50 Total points for the month now = 2941 and I'll be back later tonight for some MTTs. I dunno if he wants to be named (he might get everyone asking then!) so I won't and I'll leave it up to him if he wants to say but someone after my post yesterday vvv kindly PM'd me with their login details for SS so I could use them. Tyty for that, very kind. And so I'll do some graphs/stats on my DYMs for the year so far....
    Posted by Lambert180
    Only 2 £33s all day? You must be putting people off regging for them.
  • edited January 2016
    Graph for all DYMs in 2016

http://tinypic.com/r/4fuxli/9

Stats by stake

Running vv good atm as you can see.
  • edited January 2016
    Cheers Phantom. I did stop flopping quads and just stopped winning hands full stop for the latter half of my session. I only bumped into you in the £2s by accident tbh, I'm not sure how it happened, I must have misclicked some £2s while I was regging all the games.  For some reason (well the reason is just plain old variance) I'm getting absolutely hammered at the £5s, that wouldn't be so bad normally cos they're the smallest ones I'm playing but liquidity seemed a lot worse today than yest so I was having to play loadssss of £5s Luckily I'm continuing to be a luckbox so far at DYMs so did well in my bigger games. Was regging everything from £5 - £33 between 9am and 12:30pm and during that time only 2 x £33 games ran, thankfully I won them both. Another 992 points earned and was +£83.50 Total points for the month now = 2941 and I'll be back later tonight for some MTTs. I dunno if he wants to be named (he might get everyone asking then!) so I won't and I'll leave it up to him if he wants to say but someone after my post yesterday vvv kindly PM'd me with their login details for SS so I could use them. Tyty for that, very kind. And so I'll do some graphs/stats on my DYMs for the year so far....
    Posted by Lambert180
    Did he give you training on scope, I heard its very complicated to use.
  • edited January 2016
    Good luck for 2016 Lambo. Congrats on quitting smoking too. I guess it's time for my 4th attempt in as many months... I think probability dictates that I'll have quit by September for sure. If I haven't then I'll send the next 5unique  posters $10 each sept 1st
  • edited January 2016
    Cheers Percy.

Get on this folks ^^^^ It's a lock for a free $10
  • edited January 2016
    In for the free $10 :)

If you do manage it, I'll ship $10 to a charity of your choice. gl.
  • edited January 2016
    Just wanted to update briefly and say how gutted I was to hear today that David Bowie had passed away. Lots of other people have written things about him far better than I'll be able to so I'll just stick a couple of my favourite songs here...

Lady Grinning Soul - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fHoMw8tCzo

Beautiful.

====================

Poker been up and down, got battered last session of DYMs, about  -£140 but I'm still about +£70 overall at them this month/year and loads of points so I'll take that.

Having a real tough time with MTTs atm, things just not going my way, it'll turn soon I'm sure. I came 2nd in the 22bh tonight for £215 and won my Roller seat so was a +£110, my first winning MTT (apart from a +£2.80 one) for a good while. Hopefully it's the start of some good fortune.

Points are on 4540 which is decent cos I didnt play over the weekend at all.
  • edited January 2016
    Been having a mare this month at MTTs so decided to just get my head down and grind. Diary had been a bit moany recently but it's hard to not be when things are going bad for a prolonged period.

I'm not quite out of the hole yet for the month but I've had 3 small winning sessions on the bounce now and am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Just did a graph now, although the MTT count is out a bit, in fact so is profit and every stat, because roller, mini, 55bh, 22bh, 33bh and 11bh aint finished yet so those losses aren't on there yet. I'm actually about -£150 for the month on MTTs. The big spike at the end of the graph was me getting 2nd in the MBI tonight for £400 fwiw.

I've only been playing MTTs this past week cos been doing a lot of stuff round the house in the daytime, redecorating etc. so points have slowed down. I'll probably do cash in the mornings for this coming week cos of double points, then for the last week, I can take my pick of SnGs or cash. Still comfortable for Prio.

• edited January 2016

Did you enjoy Double Guarantee week, Paul? Think the overlay bill was something like £18,000. 

It repeats next week, too.

• edited January 2016
    Well this week, including heads, I cashed in mains for the grand total of £0 so I'm gonna say no, it was a terrible promo lol.

That does remind me of something I was gonna post here. I showed some of the lads it on Skype the other day but thought it might be interesting to show here so will post it after this post. In short, for some reason I am a solid winner in every single type of MTT on sky but I'm getting hammered in £33bhs. I'd like to keep blaming variance and it does seem like a decent excuse seen as I'm a winner in every other level of BHs (11, 22, 55) but there's only so long you can keep blaming variance...

Out of interest, how much of an increase do you see in Minis during these times when the main guarantee is doubled? They did seem to be a bit bigger this week, presumably the increased main players meant more people taking a shot at the jackpot.
  • edited January 2016
    So here we are...

I find it inexplicable how I'm getting destroyed at the 33bhs, but there it is. That should serve as a lesson to people who don't 'get' variance or understand how brutal variance can be. I'm a pretty huge loser in a game that imo I'm easily a (longterm) winner in.
  • edited January 2016

I assume most of those £33 tournies are daily 8-00pm Main Events? If so 158 games is still a small sample in a tournament that averages well over 300 runners.

It's a horrible ROI, but it can definitely be explained as just a quirk of MTT variance. I once had a similar run in £5.75s with much smaller fields. Sooner or later it should/will even out. Good luck.

• edited January 2016
    So here we are... http://tinypic.com/r/2rqikww/9 I find it inexplicable how I'm getting destroyed at the 33bhs, but there it is. That should serve as a lesson to people who don't 'get' variance or understand how brutal variance can be. I'm a pretty huge loser in a game that imo I'm easily a (longterm) winner in.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Lambo, I hope things turn around for you in the 33s soon but 158 games is not even close to a significant sample. 
  • edited January 2016
    Hi, I agree with the above posters. It's a tiny sample in a relatively big field tournament, keep at it and I'm sure you'll end up on top.
  • edited January 2016
    I disagree and I'm going to tell it like it is. You suck at £33 MTTs. Just give up and never play them. 

;)
  • edited January 2016
    In before Lambo wins the main tonight!
  • edited January 2016
    You gotta be innit to winnit!  https://support.skypoker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7/~/registering-for-a-tournament
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Tbf, only 4 of the mains per week are £33bh, so say I miss 1 per week. 3 a week for 52 weeks = 156 and I've only been grinding MTTs about 12 months so seems about right.

Ty all above, I did say in the previous post it's vv likely just variance, it's just (as Gary said) a strange quirk of variance for it all to come in 1 particular game... a rather annoying quirk when it just happens to be by far the biggest prizepool/1st place money of the night most nights of the week.

It will turn.
  • edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- Lolpro and Onwards ------- : Tbf, only 4 of the mains per week are £33bh, so say I miss 1 per week. 3 a week for 52 weeks = 156 and I've only been grinding MTTs about 12 months so seems about right. Ty all above, I did say in the previous post it's vv likely just variance, it's just (as Gary said) a strange quirk of variance for it all to come in 1 particular game... a rather annoying quirk when it just happens to be by far the biggest prizepool/1st place money of the night most nights of the week. It will turn.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Do you not play the £33bh on a Sunday? That makes it 5 a week. Looking at scope you played 97 last year so your sample sizes are to small to take much from. Only thing I would say is are you adjusting well enough to different playing styles? In a £33bh I think you will get a more wide ranging type of playing styles than you would in a £11bh or a £55bh given more sat qualifiers etc. 
  • edited January 2016
    Where to begin...

Poker is just being relentless atm, not been able to get any solid momentum going for months now, getting pretty tough mentally.

Thursday's session was the straw that broke the camel's back, and it was the first time in aaaages I've thought about just 'j@cking it all in' and getting a job, just felt mentally beaten. I also finished that session and for the first time in ages thought 'god I really wanna smoke'. I avoided the temptation thankfully, and am back to feeling fine on the smoking front... This game is bloody hard at times!

I was having a couple of day's off over the weekend anyway because it was Emma's birthday, so that was a good chance to have a break from the game which felt much need and I've since spoke to a few of the lads on Skype, mostly Bates and Perc and had some very solid advice.

I came back feeling alot fresher today (although ultimately I still obv have mental game flaws that need fixing), did decent at cash, was about +£100, but went pretty poorly in the night time at MTTs.

I just gotta try and remember, I had a decent year on Sky last year and I'm sure I had loads of awful patches throughout the year but it ended up alright in the end, so just gotta keep ploughing on with the volume and know that it'll come good in the end.

Feels a bit disjointed this post but just wrote what came to mind, prob doesn't even make sense but I need bed now.
  • edited February 2016

Just a reminder to take a look in the Prio Board Paul, as there are some changes & additions to the Prio Freerols this month.

The Priority Board is HERE

• edited February 2016
    Cheers Tikay.

All regged up for tonight's freeroll and the UKPC one on Thursday, nice little bonus to see there's 5 freerolls this month instead of 2.

I won't be posting on the diary throughout this month cos I'm going into 'lockdown', trying my hand at DYMs and putting all my focus into that and volumeeee.

On a little over 1500 points from yesterday, and it only cost me £180, seems a good deal ;) As so often happens, a lot comes down to how you get on in the bigger BIs which for me was the £33s, only 7 of them ran (for me) last night I think, and I think I won 1... so that makes it tough to get out of the hole.

Back again tonight for more DYMs and the Prio FR.

Anyway, that's all from me for a bit. I'll update at the end of the month how everything has gone, graphs and all that lark, and will probably do a little summary of how UKPC went, hopefully with a nice little bink to talk about.

Gl all for Feb!
  • edited February 2016
    Good luck for the month buddy.
  • edited March 2016
    Warning!! - This is going to be a moany post so if you don't fancy reading that, it's best you save yourself the time and stop now.

As hard as it may be to believe, I actually don't like moaning but when you commit to doing a diary, then it's best (imo) to be honest, and post about how you genuinely feel. There's no point BS'ing and pretending to be positive 100% of the time when most people aren't in reality or just hiding away and being the 'only post when you're winning' type so sometimes the diary takes a very moany turn cos that's how you feel.

It's how I've been feeling for months now. I aint busto'd my roll (yet!) before anyone asks but I've deffo busto'd any shred of confidence I had left in my game. Just been consistently losing and/or breaking even for 6 months straight now. Roll has taken a bit of a knock ofc because while I haven't lost much I am obv withdrawing every month but that's not the main issue. I just have no faith in my ability to beat any format any more. Thankfully, I've had the roll to keep withdrawing month in, month out throughout this period

So that's just the poker stuff out the way which actually in the grand scheme of things isn't so bad. For anyone who is mates with me or keeps up to date with my diary, you'll know that one of my daughters (Lily) who has just turned 8 has had a multitude of hurdles since she was born, too many for me to list them all, but she has some physical disabilities along with EDS and has recently been diagnosed with austism too. As of late, the 'symptoms' of which have escalated vvrapidly, she's becoming generally more unhappy, more angry, progressivly more violent/physically aggressive, she's often refusing to eat, refusing to sleep, she is swearing (seemingly involuntarily) at pretty much everyone, me, Emma, the teachers, other kids in her class, her sister Leah (5yr old) who is also becoming really upset by this whole situation. Naturally other parents at school are hearing about this behaviour and 'comments' have been made to the teachers apparently, although they made a point of saying they were comments and not complaints. The teachers are struggling to cope and hints have already been made (imo) at her being excluded/expelled from the school, which would be awful for Lily because she is SO reliant on routine etc that a whole different school would probably make her lose the plot.

Suffice to say I (and Emma ofc) are stressed beyond belief. We're chasing up all of their relevant agencies etc RE: her mental health but most who have been in similar positions before will know that they are all vvvv slow to get anything done.

I also considered getting a 'proper' job for a bit for some added security etc but having discussed it with Emma, it's just notfeasible given Emma's ongoing condition and the insane level of care Lily needs.

So inbetween all of that, and poker I'm just losing the plot lol!

Not really sure how to end this, cos I'm not really sure where I'm going atm but I really wanted to vent it all. I know this is pretty much not poker related at all, but it felt like a good place to get it out (for me).

Not sure what poker I'll be playing this month, thinking of 'doing a Dohhh' and going back to absolute basics, start at the lowest of the low again (for a bit at least), get some confidence going etc, prove to myself I can actually beat some form of poker, and if I can't beat 4NL then it really is gg!
  • edited March 2016
    I'm so sorry to hear of the difficulties you're facing right now Paul.
    I wish all of you the best and hope things can become easier for you and your family in time.

It's very secondary but you seem to be doing the right thing with poker as well. Do whatever is best for yourself. You've got some very knowledgeable poker friends who im sure will help you all they can.

Good luck 
  • edited March 2016
    Hi Paul,

Sorry to hear things are not exactly going to plan. Poker wise I know what your feeling as had these times, like everyone else. Dropping down is not always the answer as you need different levels of thinking that are not going to cut it higher up. Yes you will do better but then be left with the same problems as soon as you move back up. Sometimes you just have to sit back and really think what it is you think your doing wrong and/or not doing to your best and try to address those. Writing things down is best as you will find it easier to remember. Playing a little tighter and looking for slightly better % spots just as you readjust is another way. I also suggest you take the time to re-read your diary and see how you have ebbed and flowed over time and hopefully an upward curve is just around the corner for you. 

As for other things, hopefully an upward curve is around the corner as well.