You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Lambert180 ----- Life After The Grind -------

Comments

• edited September 2015
    Feel realllly knackered tonight for some reason and I aint gonna be online tomorrow so thought I'd just do the results super quick now.

Small win tonight, about +$50 overall. The best result was FT'ing a $10 turbo rebuy on party, it had 380 runners iirc, I got 8th for $350 ish, think it was $1.4k ftw. Plays crazy shallow at the sharp end though, I think 1 person on the FT had >10bb, so yeh you gotta win them races.

Few other small cashes, and yeah abuot +$50

Comp count is always gonna be out at this time cos SS doesn't add them until they've finished and loads won't have yet.

Comps: 162
    Profit/Loss: +$6549

• edited September 2015
    Total bricks last night, got a few heads in a 27pko but otherwise 0 cashes.

Comps: 190
    Profit/Loss: +$6137

Played a few of £10 Hypers when tables were low at end of night, won 2, lose 1 for +£8.50 and 1tabled 20nl for a bit for another like +£8.50

Gonna be starting a new thread for my Twitch thing cos I'm doing a 'runitup' style thing, won't expalin too much here cos I'll just be repeating myself in the new thread.
  • edited September 2015
    Forgot to update my last session, and I played tonight, the former was about a $200 loss and tonight was about +$300

No big wins tonight, few min cashes, few heads, 4th in a $16 turbo from 230 runners for $300 and 4th in $22 deepy from 200 runners for $350

Will have to update comp count tomorrow cos it's Sunday and most comps I played won't be finished so I'll have to put a guess in for now.

Comps: 230
    Profit: +$6208

Gonna do another couple of hours Twitch tomorrow morning, so need my sleep now.
  • edited September 2015
    Have a look out the window at the supermoon.
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- Lolpro and Onwards -------:
    Forgot to update my last session, and I played tonight, the former was about a $200 loss and tonight was about +$300 No big wins tonight, few min cashes, few heads, 4th in a $16 turbo from 230 runners for $300 and 4th in $22 deepy from 200 runners for $350 Will have to update comp count tomorrow cos it's Sunday and most comps I played won't be finished so I'll have to put a guess in for now. Comps: 230 Profit: +$6208 Gonna do another couple of hours Twitch tomorrow morning, so need my sleep now.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Slept in?
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- Lolpro and Onwards ------- : Slept in?
    Posted by Phantom66

Hit the nail on the head...

...and DTM has covered why it happened. Emma was really excited about the blood moon last night and got me to stay up till it happened fully which iirc must have been in the region of 4:30am. Tbh I felt it was a bit anti-climatic, I was expecting something more stunning.

But yeh I woke up about 30 mins prior to when I was supposed to be live on Twitch, plus both my kids have had to take the day off school sick so I gg'd the Twitch morning so I could be around to help Emma with the kids.

Which reminds me actually of a conversation I was having with some of the lads a couple of days ago... I was saying that at the UKPC Percy asked me how my volume was going, I replied and he said something like 'yeah and you've got a girlfriend and 2 kids so it must be pretty tough'. I'm not getting the violin out lol but I think Perc is the ONLY person ever to acknowledge (verbally at least) the difference that makes. Almost 100% of people I know that play for a living are either single, childless or both. It certainly can be done (Thewy did it long enough with a lot more kids than me!) but it makes a pretty big difference, especially as Emma's EDS does raise a variety of issues and make certain tasks tough for her.

And on that topic, Emma posted a blog the other night so I'll share it here, it's only vv short

To make up for this morning, I'm gonna do a night time Twitch of the Sky Spin Up tonight. Should be around 8pm so make sure you tune in!
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- Lolpro and Onwards ------- : Hit the nail on the head... ...and DTM has covered why it happened. Emma was really excited about the blood moon last night and got me to stay up till it happened fully which iirc must have been in the region of 4:30am. Tbh I felt it was a bit anti-climatic, I was expecting something more stunning. But yeh I woke up about 30 mins prior to when I was supposed to be live on Twitch, plus both my kids have had to take the day off school sick so I gg'd the Twitch morning so I could be around to help Emma with the kids. Which reminds me actually of a conversation I was having with some of the lads a couple of days ago... I was saying that at the UKPC Percy asked me how my volume was going, I replied and he said something like 'yeah and you've got a girlfriend and 2 kids so it must be pretty tough'. I'm not getting the violin out lol but I think Perc is the ONLY person ever to acknowledge (verbally at least) the difference that makes. Almost 100% of people I know that play for a living are either single, childless or both. It certainly can be done (Thewy did it long enough with a lot more kids than me!) but it makes a pretty big difference, especially as Emma's EDS does raise a variety of issues and make certain tasks tough for her. And on that topic, Emma posted a blog the other night so I'll share it here, it's only vv short https://emmavenvell.wordpress.com/2015/09/27/how-i-regretted-making-my-invisible-illness-visible-and-then-grew-some-balls/ To make up for this morning, I'm gonna do a night time Twitch of the Sky Spin Up tonight. Should be around 8pm so make sure you tune in!
    Posted by Lambert180
    I do understand that its harder for someone with kids to grind but surely you must know people that have kids and work whether it be poker as a job or another job? Also, I would have thought someone without kids would grind more than a normal full time job.

I can think of at least 3 off the top of my head that you know that have kids and play full time. Also another couple that have kids and work full time and put in a decent grind.

I am not saying it is easy but I don't think it should be!
  • edited September 2015
    Lambie

You should have your balls chopped off if you don't make sure Emma gets an automatic car pdq. Life can be tough enough without unnecessary hardships. 

Partner and two kids. Join the family. 
  • edited September 2015
    Completely off topic from your tourney run goods - but I just wanted to say that having met your Emma at UKPC in Aug that you're a very lucky man to have her!! (and I hope you realise it lol).  Not many people would go to UKPC just to support their other half - and more so with Emmas struggles it's even more amazing.  

PS I also 2nd the fact that Emma would prob find life so much easier with an automatic car.   I actually drive one myself now - but from personal choice rather than necessity.  I drive stop, start, stop, start all the time and love the freedom of the automatic. 
  • edited September 2015
    +1 Matt, it deffo shouldn't be easy. That wasn't like a cry for help or anything, it was just a conversation I was having with the lads the other day.

Geldy/Rose I think I'd have my balls chopped off if I got rid of her car lol, she absolutely loves the one she has now. I think one of the points of her blog is that she wants to continue doing as much as she can while she can still do it, so she isn't gonna want an automatic car until it's an absolute must (her choice not mine!)

And yes Rose, I know full well how lucky I am to have Emma and for the fact she still puts up with me!
  • edited September 2015
    My cousin's super sporty auto car going for cheap!

• edited September 2015
    I think one point is fairly clear, you should be playing more poker. You can use any amount of excuses possible but you've spent years developing your game to this level, you even decided to turn it into a job for yourself which was a risky decision. You have to now spend as much time as possible playing and learning, otherwise it can easily be a mistake. Often, imo, us poker professionals don't realise how fortunate we are. Yes, I do think playing poker for a living takes more mental ability than a lot of other jobs, that seems fairly clear since it's a mental game - you're constantly in a battle against other professionals and if you slip behind, then you can't make it any longer. This applies very strongly in cash but still in tournaments too. But what we must remember is that we're doing this firmly out of choice and there's much less security in poker compared to a normal job, but the benefit? there's not much of a ceiling. Sure, that ceiling has been starting to appear for the past few years, but it's still significantly higher than for most other jobs. 

You are effectively your own CEO - you make the decisions, you decide what happens. It is more difficult with a girlfriend and kids, sure, but your girlfriend has to understand what it takes to make poker work (and I'm sure Emma does), and one of the greatest things you can do for your kids is to work as hard as possible NOW while you have one of the best opportunities for a vast amount of quick $$$. Create schedules, every day, including poker, gf, kids. everything with a strategy makes life easier. 

From a personal perspective, I would ditch twitch asap. The reward isn't there and I think it's almost a complete waste of time. It seems a no brainer to me - spend this time, and other time that you're wasting, learning and/or playing. 
  • edited September 2015
    Wow, didn't expect all this from what was a passing comment, and just a small segment of a convo I'd had elsewhere. I guess the response is understandable without more details/the full context of that conversation and Emma thought I should probably clarify our circumstances.

I thought I'd get Emma to help out with this post (I'm still doing the writing) to make sure I accurately cover her POV. I won't go into loads of details but both of our children (5yr old and 7yr old) have complex needs (Lily has EDS and Autism, Leah has a bowel condition and is also suspected of EDS), and as I've mentioned in the past Emma has EDS too... if one parent has EDS then there's a 50% chance of any child having it too so we lost 2 flips there ;)

I agree schedules are great but in our circumstances they're almost always pretty useless (Emma's words) because problems arise very regularly and almost always without any warning. There's a ton of symptoms that come along with Emma's condition, one of which is that she generally dislocates a variety of different body parts (knees, shoulders, fingers etc) multiple times a week and suffers from chronic fatigue. When Emma is having a bad day, which is pretty common, I essentially take the role of a single parent and a carer for Emma, and so tbh work comes last in those situations. This means my hours often do reflect how good a week Emma is having. 

We were actually discussing the other day about what it would be like if I ever had a 'regular' 9-5 kinda job again and we concluded that I just wouldn't be able to do it, because Emma needs someone to be around to help too often (and there's no family to help).

Emma has told me off now for how long this post has got! And I can put the violins away now, again I don't want sympathy etc. just felt like I needed to clarify where I was coming from.

• edited September 2015
     From a personal perspective, I would ditch twitch asap. The reward isn't there and I think it's almost a complete waste of time. It seems a no brainer to me - spend this time, and other time that you're wasting, learning and/or playing. 
    Posted by percival09
    I'll concede to that point though... begrudgingly :p

I remember a while ago having a chat with PatWalsh for something he was doing for uni, think it was about the psychology of poker players. He mentioned about how a huge % of poker players love the plaundits and use it as a big motivation, whether that comes in the form of Pocket5s, sharkscope, hendon mob, being on 861, being respected/popular in a forum/community, getting trophies/photos taken at live comps (when u win), being mentioned in poker media etc etc.

I deffo fall into that category, I don't have a big ego on the tables (I know plenty that do), it never affects me game in that way, but I deffo do love all that stuff, and have probably wasted too much time on it tbf. Hell, I probably wouldn't even have a diary on here full stop if I didn't want the 'audience'. Need to be more efficient with the use of my time.
  • edited September 2015
    +1 Geldy/Rose I think I'd have my balls chopped off if I got rid of her car lol, she absolutely loves the one she has now. I think one of the points of her blog is that she wants to continue doing as much as she can while she can still do it, so she isn't gonna want an automatic car until it's an absolute must (her choice not mine!) 
    Posted by Lambert180
    fair enough if she loves her car.

but these days an automatic is the preferred choice for many, and seen as an upgrade to having a manual (although not if you're a boy racer who likes to spin the wheels at the traffic lights, and i'm thinking Emma shouldn't really be doing that). so when Emma is ready to change you should look to inspire her to upgrade it to an automatic.

• edited October 2015
    Yo just finalising the stats for last month, then I can file it away as another failure ;)

Comps: 241
    Profit: +$5816

The final graph...

And for anyone who's into this sort of stuff, the final stats page...

Didn't make 400 comps, not even close. I was powering on at the start of the month, lost momentum when I couldn't play stake for a week, and st

====================================

Back on the Sky wagon this month... exciting! I've missed the Sky games. I'm also gonna be putting in some hours at cash (at my usual stakes) to shoot for Prio for the first time in probably close to 12 months.

I usually get in the region of 5k points from MTTs on here, so need another 5k points from cash in the mornings. Can break it up anyway, 20 mornings of 250 points, 15 sessions around the 330 points mark, whatever.

Anyway, played some today and got about 300 points. Having to play multiple levels due to lack of tables running so had 20, 30, 40, 50 and 100nl open. Was doing great on every table except ofc the one 100nl table where I got destroyed lol, so finished about -£100.

Back for some MTTs tonight
  • edited October 2015
    Very nice month Lambert good luck for October.
  • edited October 2015
    Cheers Timmy, you gonna be shooting for the Punta Cana thing.. if only to get some money from the leaderboard? Seems a bit meh to me cos it's just swamped by people playing RRs or crazy amounts of Hypers where they just know they're playing too many to ever be +EV. Each to their own I guess.

Happy to be able to say I came back to Sky 'with a bang', just took down the 9pm £55bh first night back :D

Good to wipe out the cash losses and then some from the morning.

Only 466 points today, need to be getting 500+ per day really, must do better.

Lambert1802650001£490.25 + £215.81 Head Prizes4£72.70TTayseer02£291.50 + £171.67 Head Prizes4 SLANLEAT03£198.75 + £56.25 Head Prizes2 
  • edited October 2015
    Cheers Timmy, you gonna be shooting for the Punta Cana thing.. if only to get some money from the leaderboard? Seems a bit meh to me cos it's just swamped by people playing RRs or crazy amounts of Hypers where they just know they're playing too many to ever be +EV. Each to their own I guess. Happy to be able to say I came back to Sky 'with a bang', just took down the 9pm £55bh first night back :D Good to wipe out the cash losses and then some from the morning. Only 466 points today, need to be getting 500+ per day really, must do better. Lambert180 265000 1 £490.25 + £215.81 Head Prizes 4 £72.70 TTayseer 0 2 £291.50 + £171.67 Head Prizes 4   SLANLEAT 0 3 £198.75 + £56.25 Head Prizes 2  
    Posted by Lambert180
    Wiiiiiiiii very nice start buddy. Yeah im going to attempt to get on the leaderboards but im not going to chase it.
  • edited October 2015
    Cheers Timmy, you gonna be shooting for the Punta Cana thing.. if only to get some money from the leaderboard? Seems a bit meh to me cos it's just swamped by people playing RRs or crazy amounts of Hypers where they just know they're playing too many to ever be +EV. Each to their own I guess. Happy to be able to say I came back to Sky 'with a bang', just took down the 9pm £55bh first night back :D Good to wipe out the cash losses and then some from the morning. Only 466 points today, need to be getting 500+ per day really, must do better. Lambert180 265000 1 £490.25 + £215.81 Head Prizes 4 £72.70 TTayseer 0 2 £291.50 + £171.67 Head Prizes 4   SLANLEAT 0 3 £198.75 + £56.25 Head Prizes 2  
    Posted by Lambert180
    I've played 5-6 tables on avg for about 16 hours so far and am in profit (not ran amazing, prob below avg) Probably played near 200 or more RR too, so I know it's like negative -£30/£40ish in EV but not much of a dent given the prize.
  • edited October 2015
    Yo just finalising the stats for last month, then I can file it away as another failure ;) 
    Posted by Lambert180
    Good start Lambster. 

Make sure you aren't doing this again on the 1st November! ^^^^

Pirority prop bet offer still on the table, you can't believe you're going to get there if you refuse to take the bet imo. 

Taunts. 

Belief. 

Ker-Mit-Ment. !

• edited October 2015
    Well glgl with it Timmy

Yeah you're a very good player obv, so I'm sure you know what you're doing. Just don't do a lambo and think 'well it's only £x of EV I lose on RRs' and then run £500 below EV lol. Glgl

Tyty JJ. Yeah I'm up for the Prio bet, will sort details out with you when you get back from the snooker.

Got another small cash session in there, very up and down, finished +£55. Best hand of the session has to be hero'ing this against a mate of mine....
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    60nine60 Small blind  £0.25 £0.25 £122.97
    radiofed28 Big blind  £0.50 £0.75 £53.78
      Your hole cards

IH8UButler Fold     
    AJ_Rockets Raise  £1.50 £2.25 £51.06
    jsim13 Fold     
    Lambert180 Call  £1.50 £3.75 £48.50
    60nine60 Call  £1.25 £5.00 £121.72
    radiofed28 Fold     
    Flop

60nine60 Check     
    AJ_Rockets Bet  £3.00 £8.00 £48.06
    Lambert180 Call  £3.00 £11.00 £45.50
    60nine60 Call  £3.00 £14.00 £118.72
    Turn

• K

60nine60 Check     
    AJ_Rockets Bet  £10.00 £24.00 £38.06
    Lambert180 Call  £10.00 £34.00 £35.50
    60nine60 Fold     
    River

AJ_Rockets All-in  £38.06 £72.06 £0.00
    Lambert180 All-in  £35.50 £107.56 £0.00
    AJ_Rockets Unmatched bet  £2.56 £105.00 £2.56
    AJ_Rockets Show
    • A
    • J

Lambert180 Show

Lambert180 Win Pair of 10s £103.20  £103.20

• edited October 2015
    Charity bet confirmed with JJ. If I make Prio he gives £20 to EDS, if I don't make it, I give £20 to the RSPCA.

10k points in 31 days, so need 322 per day on avg.

Was gonna rack up some solid points at my mum's last ngiht on cash but ended up driviing to liverpool then having to drive back home later the same day so couldn't grind and now a bit behind the pace on 670 points in 3 days.

Big Sunday tonight to get back on ittt

GL everyone on their sunday grinds!

• edited October 2015
    Charity bet confirmed with JJ. If I make Prio he gives £20 to EDS, if I don't make it, I give £20 to the RSPCA. 10k points in 31 days, so need 322 per day on avg. Was gonna rack up some solid points at my mum's last ngiht on cash but ended up driviing to liverpool then having to drive back home later the same day so couldn't grind and now a bit behind the pace on 670 points in 3 days. Big Sunday tonight to get back on ittt GL everyone on their sunday grinds!
    Posted by Lambert180
    Good luck with your grind 2nite mate and hope to see ya in the Priority Club.
    MattBates wants you to look at my diary he's not happy with the amount of hours your putting in a month.
  • edited October 2015
    Just finished up for the night.

Managed a small win 'on stake' after just losing HU in the 55ko on 888 for about $420, FT of a $35 turbo bh and a few other small cashes.

Sky MTTs I lost a tenner which is a pretty good result for a Sunday but frustrating I didn't make more of my deep runs. Got 4th in the MBI, I had AQ<A6 which would have taken us 3handed and given me a pretty big CL if I'd held, but that's fair enough, that's just bad luck etc, but made a few mistakes in other games. FT'd the late 22bh too and my exit there (in 6th) was deffo a blow.

Recently I've been playing a few £10 Hypers towards the end of a session, when my table count is vv low and I'm not regging any more (usually only for about 30 mins around half 12/1am ish) so Ive decided with the push for Prio I'm gonna make sure I do at least 10 at the end of each session. If I do ~20 MTT sessions, that'll be 200 hypers, so at the £10s will be 1k points. Every little helps.

Played 18 tonight, and started off getting pelted so pretty happy to bring it back round to W8, L10

Dunno if points are fully up to date cos dunno if Roller points get added after the comp ends or what but according to my account page atm ...

Back tomorrow for a full day, cash in the morning, MTTs at night
  • edited October 2015
    Good solid morning grind done in terms of volume. Was a pretty grim session like. Got stacked within 10-15 mins of sitting down with this, but in the word's of JJ... "it'd look great on my EV graph!" :D
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    superbad Small blind  £0.25 £0.25 £55.87
    WUBBLE Big blind  £0.50 £0.75 £63.69
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • A

coopah Fold     
    60nine60 Fold     
    Lambert180 Raise  £1.50 £2.25 £48.50
    billytheki Call  £1.50 £3.75 £72.18
    superbad Raise  £6.25 £10.00 £49.62
    WUBBLE Fold     
    Lambert180 Raise  £12.75 £22.75 £35.75
    billytheki Fold     
    superbad Call  £7.75 £30.50 £41.87
    Flop

• K

superbad Check     
    Lambert180 Bet  £11.50 £42.00 £24.25
    superbad Call  £11.50 £53.50 £30.37
    Turn

superbad Check     
    Lambert180 All-in  £24.25 £77.75 £0.00
    superbad Call  £24.25 £102.00 £6.12
    superbad Show
    • Q
    • Q

Lambert180 Show
    • K
    • A

River

• Q

superbad Win Three Queens £100.20  £106.32
    Played for about 3 and a half hours, and ~3hr of it was pretty tough going. Winning loads of small pots then the first big pot that comes along and I have to b/f the turn or something and gg all the hard work/profit from earlier. A bit of heat at the end managed to get me back to -£67 so not too much of a disaster.

Back tonight for MTTs so will probably finish the day on 1650 ish points.
  • edited October 2015
    You still twitching or what?

Was a good watch despite the accent.

You should go on the Sky TV show too - you explain yourself so well. 

Sky get him on there ye clowns - the train fare from Liverpool can't take that much from the budget!
  • edited October 2015
    Hey mate - you about for our HU?

If not, I'm probably not going to be around until next Weds night at the earliest as we're off to Berlin first thing on Friday.

:)
  • edited October 2015
    Hey mate - you about for our HU? If not, I'm probably not going to be around until next Weds night at the earliest as we're off to Berlin first thing on Friday. :)
    Posted by bromley04
    Mr Bromley, you take my breath away with your travel brags - even got this one in on 2 threads.

Mr Lambert is this one going to be on your twitch stream? If so I will try and broker some sponsorship deals, I contacted Sepp Blatter for some advice on these matters but he is not returning my calls.

GL 2uboth
  • edited October 2015
    Cheers PRees, not twitched for a while cos I've been trying to focus on making money and lots of points this month and twitch becomes harder and harder (for me at least) the more tables you play. Would love to go on the show, although the way I'm running atm the £100 challenge may be over in <10 mins.

Sorry I missed that post Adam, I'll explain why in a sec. Will have to catch up with you when you get back. Have fun!

Phantom, I'm happy to twitch my HU matches with Adam. What is it again, best of 3 or 5? What speed games?

============================

The last couple of days have been really tough. Yesterday I played cash and got absolutely destroyed. It's pretty demoralising when you run like that, sure I probably made my fair share of mistakes as I do when I win or lose, but man I ran bad. It's the first time in must be at least 12 months where I've got genuinely angry at the game which in itself is tilting, to see that side of my mental game rear it's head again.

Long story short, my head was mashed and I didn't want to think about poker at all, hence me not updating or seeing your post Adam.

Came back fresh this morning for some more cash, this time with JJ watching on jme, and proceeded to get butchered again. Just getting battered by coolers again, and the odd time I coolered someone myself, they just did like a 2 outer and got out of it lol. It's been a real horror show anyway. Yesterday was a little shy of -£500 and today was -£330. It really is soul destroying when you just keep playing well and can't win a pot.

The one positive I took from the first horror session was 'meh at least I was like £550 up for the month so now I'm just break even, and I've deffo had worse starts to a month than that'. Well now I'm -£300 lol but again, I've had much worse starts than that too and I'm sure I can easily recover from it (variance permitting).

Back on the MTTs tonight anyway.

So will be on 2500 ish after tonight's session which is bang on target for Prio, although I do need to get a bit ahead of target soon because this coming weekend I'll be away at DTD for the team comp thing (party players will know what that is), and the next weekend is my mum's birthday so gg that too.

======================

EDIT: forgot to update the MTTs I played on Monday night... Deep run in sky main, bust 30th for £70 with AJ<A8, the curse of me never winning a sky main remains.

FT'd the 9pm BH, frustratingly got unlucky again (twice) to gg in 4th for £200.

FT'd a $22 deepstack on 888, all going well, then AA<KJo to bust in 6th for $175 :(