You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Lambert180 ----- Life After The Grind -------

Comments

• edited September 2012
    its good to see you stringing some results together, it looks like things are falling into place after a slowish start,

ive had to step back down for a short time for a couple of reasons, hopefully we wont bump inot each other too often at the tables
  • edited September 2012
    Cheers guys. Yeah I'm definitely getting some momentum going now. I have noticed you around the 4NL tables recently TinTin but there's usually enough tables to go around cos I only play 6 and I'm playing between like 9pm - midnight where there are plenty.

Quite shocked at my C4P aswell, I know it's not exactly ground breaking but ages ago I used to struggle to even make the 500 points at 4NL, but think it should be fairly easy this month, and even easier next month if I'm 6tabling 8NL by then. I know C4P aint that important at microstakes but aint gonna say no to 2 free BIs
  • edited September 2012
  • edited September 2012
    ok guys I've had to delete one post for obv reasons and also delete others that quoted it unfortunately
  • edited September 2012
    Update from my weekend sessions Paul.

Friday - 969 hands (-£2.62)
    Saturday - 406 hands (+£11.53)
    Today - 1,851 hands (+£3.53)

Was quite a bad day today for the most part, was down about 3 BI's until I won a 500bb pot with a FH vs a spew monkey who lost 250bb w KQ on a KJJAx board. I had AJ, :D

Hands: 9,093
    Profit: £73.83
    Win Rate: 20.30bb/100

Am I ahead now in the profit challenge?
  • edited September 2012
    Yeah you're back ahead of me for now Splashies, although I'm glad to see you're catching up with me in terms of the number of hands played.

Something occured to me the other day... ya know they always say how like 90% of players are long-term losing players. well it just made me feel alot better about my game, and how forunate I am to actually be a winning player even if it's only by a small amount. Well it's not fortunate, it's hard work etc but yeah, should be more confident and stop putting down my game so much.

Quote of the day:

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win"
    Sun-Tzu
  • edited September 2012
    Not many people on the forum quote from the art of war. Keep up the good work
  • edited September 2012
    Well done on your achievements so far, will be reading more of your blog tomorrow, a lot to catch up on.
  • edited September 2012
    I've decided that I am perhaps being slightly nitty in waiting to get to £400 before diong 8NL and after a recent experiment of trying to play some 8NL, I realised how few tables there are at that level. So I'm now going to playing as much 8NL as possible and if I can't get 6 tables of it going, I'll top up to 6 tables with 4NL.

So tonight I managed to get going on 3 x 8NL and 3 x 4NL. Somehow I managed to make a profit, how? I'll never know. I played absolutely terribly, calling too much pre, opening too wide, calling too much post flop and on river with weak holdings, just really really bad. It was only due to a few really lucky hands which helped me make a profit, one of which involved cracking AA with my AK.

In total I made £11.12 profit which I'm really happy with especially as I'd have been happy to break even after how bad I played. This does mean it's now my 10th session in a row of making profit.

Hands Played:     17,580
    Bankroll:              £278.50
    Profit/Loss:      +£74.34
    Poker Points:       319

That does mean that I have just went ahead of Splashies by a nose. No doubt he'll be back ahead after his next session though.
  • edited September 2012
    Hey man, you're waiting til £400 for 8nl? £10nl is easily beatable with £200 i would strongly advice you to step up to this limit now with 28 buyin's, u will NOT lose.

Gl regardless,

Stu
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- 4NL to 20NL ----- Target = 50BIs for 20NL within 12 months ------ Current Bankroll = £278.50:
    Hey man, you're waiting til £400 for 8nl? £10nl is easily beatable with £200 i would strongly advice you to step up to this limit now with 28 buyin's, u will NOT lose. Gl regardless, Stu
    Posted by Dumbmofo
    I can't bear to go through this debate again lol, so I'll summarise.

I'm not waiting anymore to play 8NL, I'm playing it from now onwards. As for the £500 for 10NL, I'm sticking to that. I play 6 tables and have never played 10NL or any higher for any prolonged period, so it's gonna be a learning curve for me, while also 6tabling. Even if I was playing brilliantly, it's still pretty likely that I could drop 5 BIs at some point while 6tabling. I know what I'm like and if I have a smaller BR and lose 5 BIs, I will go on tilt.

Having the bigger BR helps me avoid tilting, it also gets me in the good habits because as I move up levels, there's no way 30 BIs will be enough to comfortably 6table. It also allows me to try new things as I'm learning, and take aggressive lines sometimes without worrying that losing a few BIs is gonna be a sizeable chunk of my roll. Having a smaller roll always causes me to play more defensively and I don't wanna give up any edge and lower my win-rate to try to reduce variance.

You can have a BR that's too small, but there's no such thing as one that's too big :)
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- 4NL to 20NL ----- Target = 50BIs for 20NL within 12 months ------ Current Bankroll = £278.50:
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- 4NL to 20NL ----- Target = 50BIs for 20NL within 12 months ------ Current Bankroll = £278.50 : I can't bear to go through this debate again lol, so I'll summarise. I'm not waiting anymore to play 8NL, I'm playing it from now onwards. As for the £500 for 10NL, I'm sticking to that. I play 6 tables and have never played 10NL or any higher for any prolonged period, so it's gonna be a learning curve for me, while also 6tabling. Even if I was playing brilliantly, it's still pretty likely that I could drop 5 BIs at some point while 6tabling. I know what I'm like and if I have a smaller BR and lose 5 BIs, I will go on tilt. Having the bigger BR helps me avoid tilting, it also gets me in the good habits because as I move up levels, there's no way 30 BIs will be enough to comfortably 6table. It also allows me to try new things as I'm learning, and take aggressive lines sometimes without worrying that losing a few BIs is gonna be a sizeable chunk of my roll. Having a smaller roll always causes me to play more defensively and I don't wanna give up any edge and lower my win-rate to try to reduce variance. You can have a BR that's too small, but there's no such thing as one that's too big :)
    Posted by Lambert180
    He is right though imo

You would crush 10nl.....by playing tight ABC poker. The only difference between 10nl and 4nl is that you dont get as many dumb calls, you have the roll to take a shot and I'm 100% certain you will beat it.

Gl whatever you do though, I read this thread on a reg basis and it is always a good read :)
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- 4NL to 20NL ----- Target = 50BIs for 20NL within 12 months ------ Current Bankroll = £278.50 : He is right though imo You would crush 10nl.....by playing tight ABC poker. The only difference between 10nl and 4nl is that you dont get as many dumb calls, you have the roll to take a shot and I'm 100% certain you will beat it. Gl whatever you do though, I read this thread on a reg basis and it is always a good read :)
    Posted by waller02
    Thanks Waller, you probably are right, but I wanna be quite strict on my BRM if nothing else but to get me in good habits for the higher levels where it will be essential. I know it might take me a bit longer this way, but I'm still young so got plenty of time, and it can't have any negative affect on my plans, will just give me more experience and more opportunity to hone the foundations at a lower risk.
  • edited September 2012
    I got my longest session in for a while and it was my first full session of 6tabling 8NL... so trust me to have a mare of it lol...

Biggest sigh of the night was this hand
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    cal98521 Small blind   £0.04 £0.04 £6.64
    JINTY Big blind   £0.08 £0.12 £18.58
      Your hole cards

madmoney19 Fold        
    Lambert180 Raise   £0.24 £0.36 £10.82
    9_fingers Fold        
    cal98521 Fold        
    JINTY Call   £0.16 £0.52 £18.42
    Flop

• J

JINTY Bet   £0.52 £1.04 £17.90
    Lambert180 Raise   £1.28 £2.32 £9.54
    JINTY Raise   £3.84 £6.16 £14.06
    Lambert180 All-in   £9.54 £15.70 £0.00
    JINTY Call   £6.46 £22.16 £7.60
    JINTY Show
    • Q
    • J

Lambert180 Show

Turn

• J

River

• J

JINTY Win Four Jacks £20.76   £28.36
    I could post alot more, but it would only get boring and this was the worst of the lot. Bit of a shame that this 1 hand alone would have put me in profit if not for runner runner quads lol, but hey I'm sure I'll do the same to someone else at some point. So I was about 5BIs down within the first hour, then spent the next 2.5 hrs grinding back as much as possible, so in the end I made a loss of £16.14 and while that feels like alot compared to previous session results, I know it's only really 2 BIs at the new level, and quite an accomplishment I think from how bad the session started.

Hands Played:     19,260
    Bankroll:              £262.36
    Profit/Loss:      +£58.20
    Poker Points:       444

Wow I earned about 130 points tonight, pretty impressive for microstakes, although I did 6table through the happy hour AND did alot of early birding.

Was really frustrating, I was having to start up tables, and paly short handed for ages, then the table would be up and running with 4-6 players, and they'd all leave again. I REALLY need to work on my short handed cash game!
  • edited September 2012
    hi Paul,
    haven't posted here for a while....
    kinda busy myself.  lol

nice to see that b/r of yours creeping up ,well played.
    also good luck at the new nl8 level.
    i deffo think you are right in that you should wait until you have the full 50 buy-ins (£500) in your b/r b4 moving up to the nl10 level.,personally i think that is a bit on the low side myself.
    i've played there b4,not for very long admittedly,but i can tell you from experience just how easily you could lose not only 5 buy-ins a session,but even 7 or 8 or more.
    and trust me buddy,if you 'ain't rolled for it properly,it hurts.

best wishes
    :)
    dev

ps,glad you took my advice regarding posting less hands,it is imo anyway,so much better now than it was before.
  • edited September 2012
    Thanks for the input Dev, and glad to see you're enjoying it.

Yeah I think less of the moaning is better for me and all the readers... although I did have to post that beauty from last night because I think it's the worst outdraw I've ever had (to my memory) lol.

Good BRM is definitely really important, and even more so when in the near future I should be moving up to levels I've never played before so will be a real learning curve.
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- 4NL to 20NL ----- Target = 50BIs for 20NL within 12 months ------ Current Bankroll = £262.36:
    Thanks for the input Dev, and glad to see you're enjoying it. Yeah I think less of the moaning is better for me and all the readers... although I did have to post that beauty from last night because I think it's the worst outdraw I've ever had (to my memory) lol. Good BRM is definitely really important, and even more so when in the near future I should be moving up to levels I've never played before so will be a real learning curve.
    Posted by Lambert180
    yes m8,
    think that's deffo in the 'bad beat' club.

i once had playing nl4...Q9  flop came QQ9  not to bad
     then a 10 came,  bet bet etc, all-in all-in. then a 4 came on river.
    opponent had Q 10  (think i was a bit upset for a while)  lol

had the same problems myself recently when moving up levels on my DYM challenge,admittedly it wouldn't normally of happened to me as am a b/roll nit,probably even more so than yourself,
    but lost £130 one night (playing £5's & £11's too)when my b/r was only at £230 so b/r dropped back to £100

a lesson learnt there for the future,me thinks.

best wishes,
    dev
  • edited September 2012
    Midweek update/brag Paul.

Monday - 585 hands (-£5.94)
    Tuesday - 412 hands (+£21.51)
    Today - 494 hands (+£19.34)

Just been an unreal couple of sessions, hitting huge and getting paid in most spots. It all started on the Tuesday session while I was following the Northampton Town match in which we won. Must have been my lucky day :D

The run good continued in this evenings session too. I may be moving up to nl8/10 soon too if i nail a few more winning sessions.

Hands: 10,584
    Profit: £108.74
    Win Rate: 25.68bb/100

Hopefully I'm ahead in the profit challenge again, unless ur crushing todays session. Get ur skates on lad :P

• edited September 2012
    Hi Splashies,

Not quite back ahead of you yet but did have a winning session at 8NL tonight, and I will catch you soon... still plenty of time til Xmas. Only played for 1hr (6tabling) because I had someone watching me on TV. I made £11.51 profit in the end tonight which aint too bad for only 1 hrs play.

Hands Played:     19,740
    Bankroll:              £273.87
    Profit/Loss:      +£69.71
    Poker Points:       473

On the brink of getting some C4P, will easily break 500+ on my next session.

Quote of the Day

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit"

Aristotle
  • edited September 2012
    just my 2 cents

While I agree you should be playing NL8 with that roll, It doesn't mean you should not have a look/shot at NL10.

Find a level you feel comfortable at, be it NL4 or NL8, then load up 5 of them tables and 1 of nl10 for example.

You may find NL10 is really no differant but for the sake of en extra £2 you get to have a look, see how it plays and see how you do.

FWIW I do this all the time, and find it a lot easier instead of just saying ok I have 40bi so I am just going to step up

Gradual steps is better imo

plus you may just find that nl10 is just the same, but no point people telling you this - you have to go on the learning curve yourself

imo to be a winner at cash poker you just have to find a level that you feel comfortable and beat, before you start to move up - but seriously dont' expect anyhing upto NL20 to be anyting but straight forward poker

good luck, smal steps

• edited September 2012
    Hi Lambert,

I'm not a cash player myself but i've always thought reading posts about moving up etc that a player's game can evolve better by gradual immersion in the pond of 'deeper'levels ie higher. A bit like try a B.I at a higher level concentrating solely on that to see any apparent differences making notes. Return to your usual feeding ground and compare. Do this on a regular basis and i suspect that the jump would have a more well-founded base instead of the 'eyes shut' bound.
    It's only a thought but good luck anyway...
  • edited September 2012
    Evening lads and ladies,

I played 6tables of 8NL tonight for 1hr 30 mins, was a pretty up and down session, but I'm pleased to say there were more ups than downs, so I made another £11.67 profit, so I'm now in profit since starting 8NL and have reached my highest profit so far. Still a bit of catching up to do with Splashies but I'll get there...

Hands Played:     20,460
    Bankroll:              £285.63
    Profit/Loss:      +£81.38
    Poker Points:       520   (£4.16)

Finally broke the 500 points barrier too which is always a nice free bonus. In good shape to be £300+ by the end of the month, which puts me in good shape to meet my target of being rolled for 10NL (by my standards lol - 50BIs) by the end of October.

Paul
  • edited September 2012
    I find it weird that you stepped up to NL8 with approximately 30 BI's yet you won't step up to NL10 without 50?!

NL10 is full of mugs, just as many if not more than NL8 due to more tables running. Just run good and you'll crush it. If not just keep dropping down until you get a bit of run good and bob's your uncle. I think people need to stop this perception of the mystical step-up - there are mugs at every stake and just because the buy-in is bigger doesn't mean the standard is better.
  • edited September 2012
    You're right that it doesn't necessarily mean the standard is always better (or if it is, it's not always much) but what is different is the amount of BIs I have.

I'm not gonna move up and rely on running good, I'm gonna move up when I can afford to take the ups and downs of that level and know that no matter how I run, if I play well, I will make money because my BR can handle it (short of some horrendous runbad). I moved up a bit earlier to 8NL just because I've played it before and there is little difference between that and 4NL, but there is a noticeable difference at 10NL... that's not to say there aren't alot of weak players, but it's certainly nothing like 4NL where you get called down super light so often. Some players do it, just less of them.

So yeah, I could probably go and play 20NL and 'if I run good', bob's your uncle there too, but if I don't, it's just a needless gamble I don't need to take. It's not exactly like this is really slowing me down. It's took me 3-4 weeks to make £80+ almost exclusively from 4NL, and my profits should only go up now at 8NL so as I am, I think I'll have 50BIs for 10NL by the end of October, so it's not like it's gonna take forever and I'm really stunting my progress.

Plus, the higher I go, the more vital it will be to have 50BIs+ especially when 6tabling and not just playing like a complete nit (which is not my intention).
  • edited September 2012
    good things come to those who wait lamber. I thought about jumping up and back in the day i used to but im sticking to low buy ins mainly until i spin it upto enough so i can then jump up a level. It feels like a struggle to make a profit worth having but eventualy it should pay off. The old story of the tortoise and the hair and all that. To me its frustrating as i wanna make a quick profit but the risks are to high and i wanna do it when im ready to do it. So stick with your plan lambert and eventualy we will both get there and win big :)
  • edited September 2012
    Yeah my thoughts exactly Dazler, slow and steady wins the race ;) Too many people are in a rush to make it big and then end up 'doing a Donk' lol.

Quote of the Day

“Whenever you want to achieve something, keep your eyes open, concentrate and make sure you know exactly what it is you want. No one can hit their target with their eyes closed.”
    Paulo Coelho
  • edited September 2012
    Little interesting snippet I read about how small bits of negative variance and the added impact of how your opponent is running can have a massive effect in the short term...

Say you play cash poker and flop a FD 100 times in a week, so you should make your flush about 33 times in the week. Let's say if you're running good you hit 40 flushes, and if you're running bad you only hit 25.

So if you're running bad and only hit 25 (so 8 less than normal) and your opponent is running good and hits 40 (7 more than normal). That all adds up to 15 pots you've lost more than you 'should' have in 1 week.

Even at 8NL, 15 pots could easily be £60+ and that's just flush draws, just ONE of many many situations in poker.
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- 4NL to 20NL ----- Target = 50BIs for 20NL within 12 months ------ Current Bankroll = £285.63:
    Little interesting snippet I read about how small bits of negative variance and the added impact of how your opponent is running can have a massive effect in the short term... Say you play cash poker and flop a FD 100 times in a week, so you should make your flush about 33 times in the week. Let's say if you're running good you hit 40 flushes, and if you're running bad you only hit 25. So if you're running bad and only hit 25 (so 8 less than normal) and your opponent is running good and hits 40 (7 more than normal). That all adds up to 15 pots you've lost more than you 'should' have in 1 week. Even at 8NL, 15 pots could easily be £60+ and that's just flush draws, just ONE of many many situations in poker.
    Posted by Lambert180
    very nagative way to look at it )

• edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- 4NL to 20NL ----- Target = 50BIs for 20NL within 12 months ------ Current Bankroll = £285.63:
    Little interesting snippet I read about how small bits of negative variance and the added impact of how your opponent is running can have a massive effect in the short term... Say you play cash poker and flop a FD 100 times in a week, so you should make your flush about 33 times in the week. Let's say if you're running good you hit 40 flushes, and if you're running bad you only hit 25. So if you're running bad and only hit 25 (so 8 less than normal) and your opponent is running good and hits 40 (7 more than normal). That all adds up to 15 pots you've lost more than you 'should' have in 1 week. Even at 8NL, 15 pots could easily be £60+ and that's just flush draws, just ONE of many many situations in poker.
    Posted by Lambert180
    I never think of things like this i just play as good a poker as i can on the day 1 game at a time, the rest as they say is UP TO THE POKER GODS

aLLLLLLLLLLLLinnnnnnnnnnnnnnn 0:)
  • edited September 2012
    Hi Paul,
    Play it the way you are comfortable.
    I suggested fev could move up a level and should
    and he was hoy bu hos biggest downssing ever.
    it's yoir choice
    grind slow but sure
    grind higher but riskier
    or flip it for the double up
    I think your style is more the former, but the key is to be true to yourself.

god.dam it - typing on the mobile is a pos - just guess what I meant.