You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Lambert180 ----- Life After The Grind -------

Comments

• edited August 2012
    i sent you a pm about that other subject
  • edited August 2012

BRM doesn't matter if you run positive and win

BRM matters when you run negative expectation

what I will say, I don't grind as much as before but I am still the same recrational player
    by not approaching poker as a grind now it's turned a bit more fun for me

grinding does take the fun out of it, espcially when you don't need to win to pay the bills

enjoy it, take a shot - if it don't go great then just step back

• edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- 4NL to 20NL ----- Target = 50BIs for 20NL within 12 months:
    i sent you a pm about that other subject
    Posted by TINTIN
    Cheers TinTin, I have read it and thanks for the input. I am going to reply with a few follow up questions when I get round to opening IE because I can't reply in Firefox.
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- 4NL to 20NL ----- Target = 50BIs for 20NL within 12 months:
    BRM doesn't matter if you run positive and win BRM matters when you run negative expectation what I will say, I don't grind as much as before but I am still the same recrational player by not approaching poker as a grind now it's turned a bit more fun for me grinding does take the fun out of it, espcially when you don't need to win to pay the bills enjoy it, take a shot - if it don't go great then just step back
    Posted by rancid
    Well exactly, and the more you play, the closer the chance of running bad for an extended period gets to 100%

I hear what everyone's saying but I love the game and I do enjoy it. I enjoy the act of playing, so the happiness I would feel by taking a shot and spinning it up is far outweighed by the potential unhappiness of going busto. Sure I could re-deposit but I won't need to (touch wood) if I stay within reasonable guidelines.

The money isn't a huge thing for me, so the way I see it is, I have a hobby I love which I have played for the last 2-3 years and it hasn't cost me more than about £20-£30. As I'm perfectly happy getting the enjoyment I get from the game now, I don't see a point in taking big risks and potentially ploughing more money into the site, when I can just continue to freeroll my hobby.

I don't understand this constant push from people (not just you) to take a shot etc. I play for fun, and have as much fun playing 4NL as I would playing 50NL, if not more.
  • edited August 2012
    My 1st day on nl4 went rather well, Paul.

Hands Played: 936
    Total Profit: £11.87
    Win Rate: 31.70bb/100

There's not much to say about sessions at nl4, if you do the basics well and are disciplined then the money will find its way to you eventually. So, everytime I post, I'll leave a thought for the day to entertain your readers Paul.

If a man who cannot count finds a four-leaf clover, is he lucky?  ~Stanislaw J. Lec
  • edited August 2012
    If only it was that easy Martin... glad to see you got off to a good start at 4NL.

Trust me to have a session which was the complete opposite just as the challenge starts! I aint got the full details of results with me because I'm at work (I didn't post them last night cos I just wanted to go to bed) but I know I made a loss of £20 + some pennies. I'll post up the results when I get home tonight.

I'd say it was definitely the most frustrating session I've ever had at 4NL, I played 5 tables for nearly 3 hours and just either couldn't hit a barn door, or the few occasions I did, I got zero action. Was having a mooch through the HH last night to spot any mistakes and I saw the biggest pot I won all session was £1.20 lol. Also there were only 3 hands I lost all night over £1 and them 3 came to a total of £8. To be fair, I think 2 of them £5's worth) were avoidable, but one was nut straight v BD flush with 45s.

The other £12 was just a combination of 3 hours worth of either raising pre, c-bets failing and c/f at the first opportunity OR raising pre and having to c/f the flop. All them 16ps and 20ps add up over 3 hours!

I was thinking about maybe filming bits of my sessions but I dunno if anyone wants to listen to me drone on. Might force me to think more about what I'm doing though as I'll be forced to say something on the video.

Develop interest in life as you see it; in people, things, literature, music - the world is so rich, simply throbbing with rich treasures, beautiful souls and interesting people. Forget yourself. Henry Miller
  • edited August 2012
    Certainly record the session! :D:D:D love owt like that.
    If you're losing loads of small pots (£15 quids worth) then there's a good chance someone will spot something that they wouldn't be able to by posting isolated hands in't clinic.

"Im winning about 2.5p per hour mate. thats 0.5BB over 6 tables."
    Donald McCampbell
  • edited August 2012
    you state you enjoy nl4 maybe you do

"I don't understand this constant push from people (not just you) to take a shot etc. I play for fun, and have as much fun playing 4NL as I would playing 50NL, if not more."

why do you quite often post how frustated you are e.t.c then?
  • edited August 2012
    If only it was that easy Martin... glad to see you got off to a good start at 4NL. Trust me to have a session which was the complete opposite just as the challenge starts! I aint got the full details of results with me because I'm at work (I didn't post them last night cos I just wanted to go to bed) but I know I made a loss of £20 + some pennies. I'll post up the results when I get home tonight. I'd say it was definitely the most frustrating session I've ever had at 4NL, I played 5 tables for nearly 3 hours and just either couldn't hit a barn door, or the few occasions I did, I got zero action. Was having a mooch through the HH last night to spot any mistakes and I saw the biggest pot I won all session was £1.20 lol. Also there were only 3 hands I lost all night over £1 and them 3 came to a total of £8. To be fair, I think 2 of them £5's worth) were avoidable, but one was nut straight v BD flush with 45s. The other £12 was just a combination of 3 hours worth of either raising pre, c-bets failing and c/f at the first opportunity OR raising pre and having to c/f the flop. All them 16ps and 20ps add up over 3 hours! I was thinking about maybe filming bits of my sessions but I dunno if anyone wants to listen to me drone on. Might force me to think more about what I'm doing though as I'll be forced to say something on the video. Develop interest in life as you see it; in people, things, literature, music - the world is so rich, simply throbbing with rich treasures, beautiful souls and interesting people. Forget yourself. Henry Miller
    Posted by Lambert180
    You mean this never happens to you then?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    lolufold7 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £3.64
    Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £3.88
     Your hole cards

bobcam Fold     
    BYDANDY50 Fold     
    gracie24 Raise  £0.16 £0.22 £3.76
    splashies Call  £0.16 £0.38 £9.66
    lolufold7 Fold     
    Call  £0.12 £0.50 £3.76
    Flop

• J

All-in  £3.76 £4.26 £0.00
    gracie24 Fold     
    splashies Call  £3.76 £8.02 £5.90
    Show
    • A

splashies Show

Turn

• K

River

splashies Win Three 3s £7.41  £13.31

I'd be up for watching some vids of you if you recorded too. I find watchin other ppl play more enjoyable than playing myself.
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- 4NL to 20NL ----- Target = 50BIs for 20NL within 12 months : You mean this never happens to you then? Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance lolufold7 Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £3.64 x  Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £3.88   Your hole cards 3 3       bobcam Fold         BYDANDY50 Fold         gracie24 Raise   £0.16 £0.22 £3.76 splashies Call   £0.16 £0.38 £9.66 lolufold7 Fold         x  Call   £0.12 £0.50 £3.76 Flop     9 3 J       x  All-in   £3.76 £4.26 £0.00 gracie24 Fold         splashies Call   £3.76 £8.02 £5.90 x  Show 9 A       splashies Show 3 3       Turn     K       River     2       splashies Win Three 3s £7.41   £13.31 I'd be up for watching some vids of you if you recorded too. I find watchin other ppl play more enjoyable than playing myself.
    Posted by splashies
    Lol sadly not... not yet anyway, I know it will do though. Must be nice
  • edited August 2012
    you state you enjoy nl4 maybe you do " I don't understand this constant push from people (not just you) to take a shot etc. I play for fun, and have as much fun playing 4NL as I would playing 50NL, if not more." why do you quite often post how frustated you are e.t.c then?
    Posted by u_sud_fold
    I don't really post about being frustrated that often. Obviously I posted that last night was a frustrating session because it was and tbh I've had a few frustrating ones since I started but that's poker innit.

It's gonna be pretty frustrating going 3 hours without hitting a flop whether I play 1000NL, 4NL, MTTs, DYMs or whatever, that's poker. I enjoy the game of course, but that's like saying 'what you mean you don't enjoy being 1 outered?'

There will always be frustrating times whatever game you play but yes I enjoy the game. Would I have been less frustrated if my session last night was identical but played at 20NL instead?
  • edited August 2012
    Certainly record the session! :D:D:D love owt like that. If you're losing loads of small pots (£15 quids worth) then there's a good chance someone will spot something that they wouldn't be able to by posting isolated hands in't clinic. " Im winning about 2.5p per hour mate. thats 0.5BB over 6 tables." Donald McCampbell
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Well I had a nice bank holiday weekend even if the weather wasn't the greatest. Took the kids to one of those indoor softplay places, with loads of slides, ball pools, trampolines etc. They had a whale of a time, and as some of it need adult supervision, so did I! Forgot how fun it was to climb about on climbing frames and go down slides.

Right last night's sessions results, you know all the info really, so just posting stats

Hands Played:     9240
    Bankroll:             £158.76
    Profit/Loss:      -£16.28
    Poker Points:       643 (£6.43)

PS. I take it Don's being an idiot with his maths and that he's not playing 30NL.
  • edited August 2012
    Played a decent session this afternoon and I'm sorry to say Paul, it was full of heat again. Nearly all of it occured on 1 table, as shown below in a stack size brag.
    jiminy5314 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £2.61
    splashies Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £30.59
     Your hole cards
    • K
    • K

Hunterlad Fold     
    clubhammer Fold     
    TheAbbott Call  £0.04 £0.10 £2.47
    jiminy5314 Fold     
    splashies Raise  £0.12 £0.22 £30.47
    TheAbbott Raise  £0.24 £0.46 £2.23
    splashies All-in  £30.47 £30.93 £0.00
    TheAbbott All-in  £2.23 £33.16 £0.00
    splashies Unmatched bet  £28.12 £5.04 £28.12
    splashies Show
    • K
    • K

TheAbbott Show
    • A

Flop

• Q

Turn

• J

River

• J

splashies Win Two Pairs, Kings and Jacks £4.66  £32.78
    Total Hands: 2,173
    Total Profit: £36.51
    Win Rate:
    42.00bb/100

Not sure if i'll have a session tomorrow but will try and sneak one in.

Really hope you get some of my heat in your next session. No doubt there's a brutal one around the corner for me. Gl mate.

Thought for the day.....

"Don't miss the donut by looking through the hole" ~ Author Unknown
  • edited August 2012
    Jesus, how good do you run!! lol. Well played mate. Think the  biggest stack I've ever had at 4NL is £20
  • edited August 2012
    Bit of an up and down session. Started really well, then took a few beats with big PPs v Ace rags to put myself in the red, took a little break. First session I was £7.18 down

Then we (me and Emma) linked up the laptop to our 38" TV so she could watch me properly and be able to see without being over my shoulder. Played another hour like that, Emma being there probably helped me avoid any spewing spots and I managed to finish the 5 tables with a small profit on each. Emma helped with some moral boosting and making me question a few decisions I made like pausing for a while before deciding whether to check or raise from the BB when there's abot 3 limpers in front and I have AQ. Second session I was £5.73 up for a total loss today of £1.45

Hands Played:     10,340
    Bankroll:             £157.31
    Profit/Loss:      -£17.73
    Poker Points:       678 (£6.78)

Don't worry Splashies, plenty of time between now and Xmas, I'll catch you up!!
  • edited August 2012
    Why can't I get action like you do eh Splashies. Part of me regrets leading but to be honest, I think if nothing will call the flop, there's practically no turn card that's gonna make them happy calling the turn.
    SEC Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £2.13
    Lambert180 Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £3.96
      Your hole cards
    • Q

NotNowKato Call   £0.04 £0.10 £3.87
    parkhead Call   £0.04 £0.14 £1.19
    iceman68 Fold        
    TWODASH Call   £0.04 £0.18 £2.39
    SEC Fold        
    Lambert180 Check        
    Flop

• A
    • J
    • K

Lambert180 Bet   £0.14 £0.32 £3.82
    NotNowKato Fold        
    parkhead Fold        
    TWODASH Fold        
    Lambert180 Muck        
    Lambert180 Win   £0.16   £3.98
    Lambert180 Return   £0.14 £0.02 £4.12
  • edited August 2012
     before deciding whether to check or raise from the BB when there's abot 3 limpers in front and I have AQ. 
    Posted by Lambert180
    Raise!!!

Alot!!!!!!!!!!!

"Trust, encouragement reward, loyalty, satisfaction" - David Brent
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- 4NL to 20NL ----- Target = 50BIs for 20NL within 12 months : Raise!!! Alot!!!!!!!!!!! "Trust, encouragement reward, loyalty, satisfaction" - David Brent
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I think I was just swayed by something TinTin had said to me about playing hands from the blinds.

Here's something I was thinking about on the way to work so I welcome yours and others thoughts on it... This may be the ramblings of a madman because I'm still half asleep but if I raise AK pre and flop comes 56Kr then I will c-bet looking to get value from worse Kx hands, people who fancy calling with 2nd or 3rd pair, or gutshots or underpairs to the K.... BUT if I raised with AQ pre and the flop came exactly the same 56Kr, then I would c-bet.

As I said, maybe I'm still asleep but can c-betting this be justified, when on the other occasions (that I've hit) I expect to get called a fair amount of the time. Obviously I'm not really trying to balance my range because I think there's little value in it at this level.

I also c-bet with like 88-QQ partly for value and partly to protect my hand but that's kinda beside the point (I think).

So can someone either please justify why I'm fine to c-bet both with AK and AQ on this flop OR explain to me why it's wrong?
  • edited August 2012
    paul they cant see your cards can they lol its not mad its normal u should always c-bet pretty much the same amount if ya hit tptk or an airball on like u say 1 high card an 2 low cards im c-betting this with my tptk and air ball but say u have 99 and raise and flop is j q k im never c betting this as this smacks a range of a call hope this makes sense 
  • edited August 2012
    AQ going to be ahead pre so raise, c bet 100% at NL4

• edited August 2012
    not 100 per cent surely depends on flop and 4nl its harder to bluff as its for beginners who play at that level so u cant get ya bluffs thru as much then higher cash tables 
  • edited August 2012
    when you have players limp/calling wide as the grand canyon - c bet is auto -
    raise, 3 bet wider for value and punish them when they miss or hit flops that you dominate

depends on table but you can even raise from the blinds with A10 for value

just iso at nl4 = print money

• edited August 2012
    paul they cant see your cards can they lol its not mad its normal u should always c-bet pretty much the same amount if ya hit tptk or an airball on like u say 1 high card an 2 low cards im c-betting this with my tptk and air ball but say u have 99 and raise and flop is j q k im never c betting this as this smacks a range of a call hope this makes sense 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Well yeah I'm C/F 99 on a KQJ flop pretty sharpish, but what I mean is, at this level where I'm betting my AK because I expect to get calls alot on this kinda flop, is it worth c-betting, as I'm likely to get called alot and will give up on any blank turn, and even when a Q hits the turn, I'll be pot controlling due to being behind so many raggy Kx hands.
  • edited August 2012
    i think sticking to same bet sizing aswell is good so u cant get any reads like oh he bets half pot on a bluff but 3/4 on a good hand i think its good to stick to the same bet sizing dnt think they realise to much on 4nl tho lol
  • edited August 2012
    whos saying they have k x if u play it right obv u do come in for 4-5 x raise no k rags should call u so if k high flop does come u should be betting all 3 streets for value not thinking if your behind or not im never checking on any street if it comes a k high flop dnt think negative like thedon90  they could have jj 10 10 and on a k rag flop norm jj and 10 10 would be good so id be betting 3 streets for value and depends on if its rainbow flop or same suit etc on my bet size if its a rainbow flop im betting half pot if its suited flop with a king im betting more to protect my hand and paying the opponent a price to hit there flush 
  • edited August 2012
    Yeah I agree with most of what you're saying. Of course I'd bet 3 streets for value if I hit a K-high flop with AK, I'm not worrying about being behind there. There's no question of that, the question is the validity of c-betting particular flops. I might be wrong and I know you're a good player Rancid but I would certainly not advocate c-betting 100% or even close to it.

I've seen countless people call 5x raises with hands like K5 especially if suited by the way :P But I'm not complaining about that, I'm happy for people to call 5x raises with K5 all day long.

And yeah I don't think the majority of players at 4NL pay attention to bet sizing, so I'm more than happy to make one raise size pre with AA and a different size with 22 for example.
  • edited August 2012
    Think u need to play low-mid prs passive at NL4, very hard to play if you raise pre versus limp callers
    going to be versus overcards a lot, which is never great

say you have 8's and you have 3 limps before you, how much you raising and why - we c/f lots of overcard flops/boards -
    we only getting value from 6/7 high flops

end up checking weak or strong hands on flops, so polarised

intresting that you mention not getting paid with big hands in certain sessions

have a look at your pre sizing, stick to 4x imo - across your whole range, reduces your c bet size abit and allows a bit more room for movement - take it your raising pre 3x to  6x :S stick to 4x + 1bb per limper

don't be ashamed to limp behind at nl4

never open limp though )

• edited August 2012
    Think u need to play low-mid prs passive at NL4, very hard to play if you raise pre versus limp callers going to be versus overcards a lot, which is never great say you have 8's and you have 3 limps before you, how much you raising and why - we c/f lots of overcard flops/boards - we only getting value from 6/7 high flops end up checking weak or strong hands on flops, so polarised intresting that you mention not getting paid with big hands in certain sessions have a look at your pre sizing, stick to 4x imo - across your whole range, reduces your c bet size abit and allows a bit more room for movement - take it your raising pre 3x to  6x :S stick to 4x + 1bb per limper don't be ashamed to limp behind at nl4 never open limp though )
    Posted by rancid
    Yeah definitely agree, I have no problem playing small PPs passive. I'll just limp along or flat call raises with 22-99 sometimes TT too.

I generally raise 5x, with the exception of some hands like small PPs. I leave it at 5x with 1 limper, and then add on 1BB per limper after that. I'm not too worried to be fair, I know I've made a few bad calls near the start of this venture, and to be honest, some of them I think were necessary at the time. I've quickly learned there's alot of people who make me look like a big LAG (more than there used to be I'm sure), so I lost some hands earlier which I put down as coolers but looking back now I know they're super super nits. But yeah, it's just variance innit, I certainly aint had any beauties like that one from Splashies where someone just open shoves £3.50 into his flopped set, but I'm sure I will do.
  • edited August 2012
    Yeah I agree with most of what you're saying. Of course I'd bet 3 streets for value if I hit a K-high flop with AK, I'm not worrying about being behind there. There's no question of that, the question is the validity of c-betting particular flops. I might be wrong and I know you're a good player Rancid but I would certainly not advocate c-betting 100% or even close to it. I've seen countless people call 5x raises with hands like K5 especially if suited by the way :P But I'm not complaining about that, I'm happy for people to call 5x raises with K5 all day long. And yeah I don't think the majority of players at 4NL pay attention to bet sizing, so I'm more than happy to make one raise size pre with AA and a different size with 22 for example.
    Posted by Lambert180

HAHA bad read )

If your raising a limped pot w/88 and flop comes KQJ – obviously you c/f – then don’t raise pre

If you open raise and get two callers and flop come J42r – then c bet – w/e your hand

A lot of situations will arise in NL4 where you have limps before you, raising sometimes only achieves a bloated flop pot, therefore any flop bet will be have to be bigger

I did say 100%, ok maybe 96% )

How we chose to come into the pot pre dictates how we play flop, if you finding yourself raising pre only to face horrible flops then maybe look at what your doing pre

You don’t have to raise pre just because there are limpers, imo it’s a bit spewy . Most of you marginal’s/ low-mid prs can be played more profitably by limping behind.

It’s only when you open raise that I would say c bet 96%  :S

Why c bet, because it’s profitable to do so versus the range that calls your  standard 4x open -

Think you’re a good enough post flop player to outplay all of NL4

Have fun with it

• edited August 2012
    I think we're slightly going in circles cos I'm agreeing with you for the most part lol, although I think it's mostly due to us both replying without seeing each other's latest reply. But yeah if it's limped around and I have 99 or less I am never raising, for the exact reason you said.

My raising range over limps/small raises is pretty small, something like AQ+ QQ+. It just happens to be that I'm not hitting flops particularly well recently, but that's not gonna stop me doing what I know is right (raising with AQ/AK). C-bets are working fairly well, probably 50% of the time ish, just annoying cos you don't stack people by taking down pots with c-bets and I remember the days of stacking people constantly at 4NL. But it's just a phase no doubt.

This was all just a hypothetical question because it seemed strange that you must bet for value with TPTK on K45r cos you know you'll get called alot, but must also c-bet it with AQ but surely knowing you'll get called alot makes it redundant. But yeah as with any bet, like if I make it 24p into a 48p pot, then it only has to work 1in3 times to break even so the two things don't have to be contradictory. Nevermind, I was just tired this morning lol.