You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Lambert180 ----- Life After The Grind -------

Comments

• edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- 4NL to 20NL ----- Target = 50BIs for 20NL within 12 months:
    I think that's wayyyyy too nitty, especially for the first jump from nl4 to nl8. and then to nl10. You might have a point nl10 to 20, but still abit much imo. You don't have to make a big deal of moving up, you can play nl10 and nl4 together.  Having £350 (built up from £100 or whatever) and still grinding nl4 is just mental imo.  25xbuy ins to 'shoot' at the level above is fine. edit* Yes I've been stuck at the same level for literally years now etc etc, different @ micro micros tho :P
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    It could be slightly on the nitty side for 4NL and 8NL but it never hurts to have too big a BR and I think it's perfectly fine for 10NL+ and it certainly won't hurt to get into good habits.

To be honest, I'm only £235 away from moving up, which is 58.75 BIs. If you reckon on me getting about £20 C4P over a 4 month period then that means it's £215 I need to make which is 53.75 BIs which over 4 months is only 13.5 BIs per month which is not an enormous amount, so even though I've set the bar high, I don't think I'll be at 4NL for that long. I'd rather do it right than do it quickly.

Leading on from your last comment, have you ever tried playing above 50NL+ ? Is it the monetary amount on the table that would put you off or do you not think you're good enough?
  • edited August 2012
    BOOM! Another great session tonight, even despite a JJ v AA incident pre where I think could have folded but I was swayed by him only having £3. Managed to finish £15.05 in profit for the night so I'm finally back in the black :)

Hands Played:     7080
    Bankroll:             £180.07
    Profit/Loss:      +£5.03
    Poker Points:       576 (£5.76)

• edited August 2012
    hi

i rarely comment on diary threads but having read a bit of yours in the last few days i'm compelled to ask...

doesn't a diary thread take some of the fun out of poker?

the reason i ask is because all of the diary threads seem to talk about poker in terms of a 'challenge' or a 'grind'.  also, i noticed in the last few posts you have made it doesn't seem like you are getting any pleasure out of playing the game (at least not currently) and i think this is quite common among the diary threads i have seen. 

the best comparison i can try and make is that if i were to go and play football with my mates on the park i would hate to be constantly looking at ways to improve my passing or shooting (although arguably i should) etc and then come home and think through the game and try and spot ways i could have done better.  that would take some of the fun out of the game for me and probably make me less excited about the next kickaround on the park because i would feel under pressure all the time.

i genuinely enjoy reading your diary and will keep following it as it is certainly one of the best i have read.

good luck

p.s if i had your bankroll i would go for 3 tables of 20nl and move down to 10nl if i got down to 100 :) 

edit:  standard timing....my post goes in straight after a big winning sessions lol....nice work though :)
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- 4NL to 20NL ----- Target = 50BIs for 20NL within 12 months:
    hi i rarely comment on diary threads but having read a bit of yours in the last few days i'm compelled to ask... doesn't a diary thread take some of the fun out of poker? the reason i ask is because all of the diary threads seem to talk about poker in terms of a 'challenge' or a 'grind'.  also, i noticed in the last few posts you have made it doesn't seem like you are getting any pleasure out of playing the game (at least not currently) and i think this is quite common among the diary threads i have seen.  the best comparison i can try and make is that if i were to go and play football with my mates on the park i would hate to be constantly looking at ways to improve my passing or shooting (although arguably i should) etc and then come home and think through the game and try and spot ways i could have done better.  that would take some of the fun out of the game for me and probably make me less excited about the next kickaround on the park because i would feel under pressure all the time. i genuinely enjoy reading your diary and will keep following it as it is certainly one of the best i have read. good luck p.s if i had your bankroll i would go for 3 tables of 20nl and move down to 10nl if i got down to 100 :)  edit:  standard timing....my post goes in straight after a big winning sessions lol....nice work though :)
    Posted by huuuuume
    This.
    Everyone seems to go way OTT with the bankroll management !
  • edited August 2012
    hi i rarely comment on diary threads but having read a bit of yours in the last few days i'm compelled to ask... doesn't a diary thread take some of the fun out of poker? the reason i ask is because all of the diary threads seem to talk about poker in terms of a 'challenge' or a 'grind'.  also, i noticed in the last few posts you have made it doesn't seem like you are getting any pleasure out of playing the game (at least not currently) and i think this is quite common among the diary threads i have seen.  the best comparison i can try and make is that if i were to go and play football with my mates on the park i would hate to be constantly looking at ways to improve my passing or shooting (although arguably i should) etc and then come home and think through the game and try and spot ways i could have done better.  that would take some of the fun out of the game for me and probably make me less excited about the next kickaround on the park because i would feel under pressure all the time. i genuinely enjoy reading your diary and will keep following it as it is certainly one of the best i have read. good luck p.s if i had your bankroll i would go for 3 tables of 20nl and move down to 10nl if i got down to 100 :) 
    Posted by huuuuume
    Hi huuuuume,

I definitely see what you're saying, and it can be trying sometimes but at the base of it all I do love the game. Obviously it's hard to enjoy the patches where you're getting constantly coolered but as I say I do love the game, and it's all the more love-able when you make money from it, and generally the only way to do this is to assess your play and try to improve it.

I know all players at any level need to look to improve their game but the need to improve is probably more important with me because my game is SO in need of improvement.

In answer to your last comment about if you had a bankroll... I've never played a single hand of 20NL and to be honest, judging by your posts on the clinic etc you are a far better player than me, so I just wouldn't feel comfortable at 20NL with the size of my roll. I'm still making the occasional really clumsy mistakes at 4NL and I'd probably just be punished for this more at 20NL.

P.S. Thanks for saying my diary is one the best :)
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- 4NL to 20NL ----- Target = 50BIs for 20NL within 12 months : This. Everyone seems to go way OTT with the bankroll management !
    Posted by 1267
    The thing is though, I'm just simply not that good lol, and I've went about 2-3 years now without going bust once through beating low levels and keeping myself in check with regards to BRM.

I'm sure you and Huuume are capable of playing 20NL with £180, but at this stage, I just don't have the confidence in my game to do it.
  • edited August 2012
    I think you wrote into the show about BRM and I think I gave the advice to errr on the side of caution.

For 4nl and for only 4 tables then 30/40 is fine.  IMO I'd be more than happy to mix in a couple of 8nl tables while also playing 4nl.

• edited August 2012

i understand the brm thing and am a control bankroll nit myself but...

positive thinking.......just imagine how good a winning session at nl20 would feel :) 

• edited August 2012
    I think you wrote into the show about BRM and I think I gave the advice to errr on the side of caution. For 4nl and for only 4 tables then 30/40 is fine.  IMO I'd be more than happy to mix in a couple of 8nl tables while also playing 4nl.
    Posted by scotty77
    Yeah I did write into the show about BRM, mostly because (as I said in my post to the show), the general consensus seems to be  20BIs is fine at micro stakes, but I just wasn't happy with it when playing between 4 and 6 tables. But yeah I agree 30/40 BIs is probably fine, although I certainly want 50BIs for 10NL+
  • edited August 2012
    I think your far to worried about losing a few buy-ins and having to move down a level.

You could easily be playing nl20 right now, with a 180 quid.   Lets be honest it would take a pretty tragic session to lose 80 quid,   and even then you would have a solid 10 buy ins at nl10  .  Which is more than enough.  No shame in moving down.   Obv with like 70+ buy ins,  theres never going to really be a need to move down in levels,  unless you have the worst variance EVER or are actually a bad player.   Been a bankroll nit is fine and all.   But i think you would enjoy it so so so much more if you gambled a tad at nl20  and spun 180 up to 500 in a week or so.
    Then the possibilities are endless.   Stop worrying.  If you have an absolute mare and have to move down, no biggy !
  • edited August 2012
    hi Paul,
    as you are all talking brm i'll throw in my 10c worth.

brm is most definately a 'personal thing'
    some players are happy playing a level with 10-20 buy-ins
    others 30-40.
    i personally feel pretty comfortable with 100 but ideally for moving up levels i would like 200.
    how do you feel when losing 10 buy-ins when you have only got 100 lor worse still 50?

anyway ,i've had my say.
    best wishes
    :)
    dev
  • edited August 2012
    I think your far to worried about losing a few buy-ins and having to move down a level. You could easily be playing nl20 right now, with a 180 quid.   Lets be honest it would take a pretty tragic session to lose 80 quid,   and even then you would have a solid 10 buy ins at nl10  .  Which is more than enough.  No shame in moving down.   Obv with like 70+ buy ins,  theres never going to really be a need to move down in levels,  unless you have the worst variance EVER or are actually a bad player.   Been a bankroll nit is fine and all.   But i think you would enjoy it so so so much more if you gambled a tad at nl20  and spun 180 up to 500 in a week or so. Then the possibilities are endless.   Stop worrying.  If you have an absolute mare and have to move down, no biggy !
    Posted by 1267
    Yeah I definitely see where you're coming from, but I'm more concerned about the fact I'm really not that great a player. I have massive leaks in my game, and so I'm trying to improve my game at the lower levels where the risk is smaller.
  • edited August 2012
    hi Paul, as you are all talking brm i'll throw in my 10c worth. brm is most definately a 'personal thing' some players are happy playing a level with 10-20 buy-ins others 30-40. i personally feel pretty comfortable with 100 but ideally for moving up levels i would like 200. how do you feel when losing 10 buy-ins when you have only got 100 lor worse still 50? anyway ,i've had my say. best wishes :) dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    Yeah I most definitely agree, I think there's a required minimum to be able to withstand the variance involved in any form of poker, but past that it comes down to how happy you are about actually taking the beats.

Personally, when I was playing cash with 20BIs, I felt pretty rubbish about it if I lost 3-4 BIs because it's still a pretty big chunk of my roll. One thing I read in a book recently about the poker mindset was about BRM/dealing with variance and it said that there are 2 beasts to tackle.... it's not just about avoiding going bust through poor BRM, it's also about avoiding the fear of going bust.

I know how my brain works and I know I would be reluctant to take some lines like maybe 3bet jamming a flop with 2 overs + FD if my BR was really small because I know the losses would hurt so I would attempt to play a lower variance form which would invariably be much less profitable.
  • edited August 2012
    i chop and change from 30 to 50 BI depending how well im running nothing wrong in upping it a bit from time to time and if it dosnt go your way drop back down again. If theres a torny that tickles my fancy and has a decent prize pool for the amount i might have a go at it and dont get too caught up in the BI philosopy maybe i should maybe i shouldnt each to there own imo. As long as you dont gamble your br with 4BI or less which ive also done in the past lol. Only you know lambert what your comfortable with and how much it will let you just enjoy the game :) The trick is ask yourself if you lose does it hurt if the answer is yes then you playing to high stakes for your br.
  • edited August 2012
    Was a bit of an annoying session tonight, made a few really stupid calls that turned what would have been a small profit into a slight loss. Definitely wasn't my A game tonight, mainly just down to playing a bit too loose pre.

Hands Played:     7920
    Bankroll:             £173.39
    Profit/Loss:      -£1.65
    Poker Points:       601 (£6.01)

At least I've made 1.5 BIs through C4P this month :)
  • edited August 2012
    i chop and change from 30 to 50 BI depending how well im running nothing wrong in upping it a bit from time to time and if it dosnt go your way drop back down again. If theres a torny that tickles my fancy and has a decent prize pool for the amount i might have a go at it and dont get too caught up in the BI philosopy maybe i should maybe i shouldnt each to there own imo. As long as you dont gamble your br with 4BI or less which ive also done in the past lol. Only you know lambert what your comfortable with and how much it will let you just enjoy the game :) The trick is ask yourself if you lose does it hurt if the answer is yes then you playing to high stakes for your br.
    Posted by Dazler
    I think you've summed it up perfectly, it's all a matter of what hurts. If you losing 5 BIs from a 20BI bankroll doesn't hurt then fine, go with it, but to me it does hurt, so I prefer a bigger roll.
  • edited August 2012
    Well I was gonna call it a night, but then Emma went for a late bath so I thought I'd get another hour in, and it seems I stood up last time just as my rungood was about to start. Only 4tabled for 1 hour but managed to play a few good hands and made £6.32 so that's only 60p less than I lost in my 2hours earlier :)

Hands Played:     8240
    Bankroll:             £179.71
    Profit/Loss:      +£4.67
    Poker Points:       608 (£6.08)

Back in the black before bed :)
  • edited August 2012
    nice read

agree with some others though presumably you arent doing this for a living? You can afford to take a shot at least nl10 with your current roll

• edited August 2012
    Good read paul

why do you not give 8nl a go with your roll and drop bak to 4nl if you lose like 5bi`s you might hit ground running
  • edited August 2012
    nice read agree with some others though presumably you arent doing this for a living? You can afford to take a shot at least nl10 with your current roll
    Posted by bugaloo
    No I'm not doing it for a living lol... I can live on a shoestring but not about £20 a month.

I know I could play 10NL and have done before with a roll this size, but losing 3-4 BIs when I have only 18 BIs just hurts too much and inevitably causes me to play worse than I'm able.

Also if I wanna make decent money long-term then I'll need proper BRM, and where dya draw the line? Like do I play 10NL with £180, spin it up to £400 and then start practicing good BRM (in which case I'd just be staying where I am) or what? I think if you play a level underolled and you double your BR, you're always gonna be inclined to step up another level which means you continue to be underolled and doing that long-term is never gonna work.

In summary, I want longevity. As they say, when you play poker to win money you MUST play for the long term, you should always be taking the route that stands to win you  the most in the long run, but how can you do that when you don't have enough money to be able to withstand the long run.
  • edited August 2012
    " I know I could play 10NL and have done before with a roll this size, but losing 3-4 BIs when I have only 18 BIs just hurts too much and inevitably causes me to play worse than I'm able."

Fair enough looking at the long term but when you get to 10nl with a decent bankroll is losing 3-4 BI;S still going to hurt a lot?

• edited August 2012
    Good read paul why do you not give 8nl a go with your roll and drop bak to 4nl if you lose like 5bi`s you might hit ground running
    Posted by liamboi11
    Perhaps I am being a bit cautious, but I'm a firm believer that you can never have too big a BR. Also I want to know whether I'm actually beating a particular level long-term and not just whether I'm running good for a bit, and I've only played like 8-9k hands so while I'm fairly confident from my experience at the table, that I am easily good enough to beat it, I would like the figures to back it up.

Plus, losing 5 BIs at 8NL (£40) from a £180 roll would hurt, especially at this early stage when the monetary increases are gonna quite small, slow and steady. So
  • edited August 2012
    " I know I could play 10NL and have done before with a roll this size, but losing 3-4 BIs when I have only 18 BIs just hurts too much and inevitably causes me to play worse than I'm able." Fair enough looking at the long term but when you get to 10nl with a decent bankroll is losing 3-4 BI;S still going to hurt a lot?
    Posted by bugaloo
    No it won't and that's the whole point, that's one of the fringe benefits to good BRM. As I said to someone earlier, you're not just trying to avoid going bust, but you're also trying to avoid the fear of going bust.

So for instance, I've had sessions since I started this where I lost 4BIs (£16) but with my roll, I can shrug that off fairly easily knowing I have the roll to withstand variance. If I was playing 10NL and had just lost the same amount of BIs (£40), I would not be able to shrug it off so easily as it would be over 20% of my roll.

I mean it's not like I'm in a bad financial situation in real life, I could easily afford to re-deposit if I needed to, but I don't see any reason for me to take that risk, when I can do it this way. Sure it may take a little longer, but when I get there, I'll have done it the right way.
  • edited August 2012
    fair enough at the end of the day its upto you

without sounding harsh just read some of your posts on the clinic which mainly tbh look like glorified bad beat/coolers

• edited August 2012
    fair enough at the end of the day its upto you without sounding harsh just read some of your posts on the clinic which mainly tbh look like glorified bad beat/coolers
    Posted by bugaloo
    Well some of them are coolers yeah, and I've been having a fair few coolers recently which I haven't posted because there is zero point like QQ v KK aipf, and that's exactly why you need to be properly rolled. When I first started playing cash again I ran big PP into bigger PPs or sets into straights at least 10 times, and if I'd done that at 10NL it would have butchered my roll.

I have no doubt in the future, I'll cooler people just as many times as I get coolered, but I need enough of a BR to be able to let that happen.
  • edited August 2012
    Do you still want a cash challenge then Paul? It's up to you, won't be offended if you'd rather not. It's just that I'm starting from scratch at nl4 anyway, so it may make things more interesting. 

I noticed you're keeping a record of number of hands played so maybe we could use bb/100 to determine the winner.
  • edited August 2012
    Do you still want a cash challenge then Paul? It's up to you, won't be offended if you'd rather not. It's just that I'm starting from scratch at nl4 anyway, so it may make things more interesting.  I noticed you're keeping a record of number of hands played so maybe we could use bb/100 to determine the winner.
    Posted by splashies
    Yeah I'm up for a challenge. I mean I'm playing 4NL anyway and posting results here, so it's not gonna affect me in anyway to just be comparing results with you, and it will make things more interesting.

Yeah, I dunno if you have a better, more accurate way of doing it, but for hands, I just work on the basis that you generally play about 80 hands per hour (per table), so that's how my spreadsheet works it out. PM your email address if you want a copy of the spreadsheet.

But yeah I'm up for it, you wanna post your results here or what?
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- 4NL to 20NL ----- Target = 50BIs for 20NL within 12 months : Yeah I'm up for a challenge. I mean I'm playing 4NL anyway and posting results here, so it's not gonna affect me in anyway to just be comparing results with you, and it will make things more interesting. Yeah, I dunno if you have a better, more accurate way of doing it, but for hands, I just work on the basis that you generally play about 80 hands per hour (per table), so that's how my spreadsheet works it out. PM your email address if you want a copy of the spreadsheet. But yeah I'm up for it, you wanna post your results here or what?
    Posted by Lambert180
    For the number of hands played, I use the hand history search.

Say if i have a  session between 2.15pm and 4.50pm, after my session I'd search my HH from 2pm-3pm, note the number of hands played. Then search 3pm-4pm and finally 4pm-5pm and add the 3 figs up. Takes 2 mins max.

I've got my own spreadsheet already up and running.

I can work out your bb/100 using your latest figures.

(£4.67/8240hands) x 100/0.04 = 1.42bb/100 is your current win rate.

• edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- 4NL to 20NL ----- Target = 50BIs for 20NL within 12 months : For the number of hands played, I use the hand history search. Say if i have a  session between 2.15pm and 4.50pm, after my session I'd search my HH from 2pm-3pm, note the number of hands played. Then search 3pm-4pm and finally 4pm-5pm and add the 3 figs up. Takes 2 mins max. I've got my own spreadsheet already up and running. I can work out your bb/100 using your latest figures. (£4.67/8240hands) x 100/0.04 = 1.42bb/100 is your current win rate.
    Posted by splashies
    Ok fair enough, that sounds easy enough then. From your experience dya think I've been pretty close with estimating 80 hands per hour? I'll probably start counting hands your way from now on. Well let me know when you play your first session.
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- 4NL to 20NL ----- Target = 50BIs for 20NL within 12 months : Ok fair enough, that sounds easy enough then. From your experience dya think I've been pretty close with estimating 80 hands per hour? I'll probably start counting hands your way from now on. Well let me know when you play your first session.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Yeh 80 is about right. Already had a little session this afternoon but il post at the end of the day.