You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Lambert180 ----- Life After The Grind -------

Comments

• edited July 2012
    Aint played much recently, played 6 tables of 4NL last night and made a loss of 61p, bit annoying cos I could have easily been a buyin or two up if I hadn't made a couple of truly shocking calls.

Then played an 18man Turbo SnG on 'my other site' and won it so that was decent.

Now I got the boring results out the way... I've decided to take a break from poker. I'm not running bad or anything, I'm just simply not enjoying playing that much anymore. I'm still winning but as I'm not really enjoying the game as much, the only enjoyment comes from winning and making a few quid profit a day is just not enough to keep me interested at the mo.

Will obviously be back cos I love the game, just taking a little break for a while. Will be about to play these Olympic games but that's not til next week.
  • edited August 2012
    Hello all,

I've been playing the odd bits and bobs, nothing serious, just some forum SnGs and stuff and doing some reading.

I was reading through Coxy's blog on his website which has given me a new perspective on things. Ultimately my goal has always been to become capable of crushing cash games, and the only way I'm gonna do that is by playing cash. I've also been speaking to another very good player whose made me realise how extracting max value is from big hands is the easy part, but losing the minimum is what really improves your win-rate.

So I'm really tightening up on my BR rules so that I can afford to play 4-6 tables (which is what I normally do) and have a BR comfortable enough where I can take a bad losing session and think nothing of it. As it is, sticking to a BR rule of around 20 BIs minimum I don't think is enough for me personally to be happy about losing 3-4 BIs. So I'm back to 4NL and will be playing that until I get my roll back up to £400 which I think should only take a month or two variance permitting.

It also means, I'll be playing alot more at each level and can get a much more accurate picture of how well I'm beating the level. Also gone back to tracking my cash poker results on a spreadsheet.

Updates will come at some point. At the moment I'm 2 BIs up from my first 2 sessions
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 - A Tale Of 2 Bankrolls ----- Taking Some Time Out:
    Hello all, I've been playing the odd bits and bobs, nothing serious, just some forum SnGs and stuff and doing some reading. I was reading through Coxy's blog on his website which has given me a new perspective on things. Ultimately my goal has always been to become capable of crushing cash games, and the only way I'm gonna do that is by playing cash. I've also been speaking to another very good player whose made me realise how extracting max value is from big hands is the easy part, but losing the minimum is what really improves your win-rate. So I'm really tightening up on my BR rules so that I can afford to play 4-6 tables (which is what I normally do) and have a BR comfortable enough where I can take a bad losing session and think nothing of it. As it is, sticking to a BR rule of around 20 BIs minimum I don't think is enough for me personally to be happy about losing 3-4 BIs. So I'm back to 4NL and will be playing that until I get my roll back up to £400 which I think should only take a month or two variance permitting. It also means, I'll be playing alot more at each level and can get a much more accurate picture of how well I'm beating the level. Also gone back to tracking my cash poker results on a spreadsheet. Updates will come at some point. At the moment I'm 2 BIs up from my first 2 sessions
    Posted by Lambert180
    gl m8 in moving up levels missed reading your diary
  • edited August 2012
    Got another really good session in tonight. Ran pretty well in 2 spots... got it in pre QQ v AA and first card out was the Q, then I got it in 99 v AK (he was sat with less than 1/2 BI so was happy to do it), he flopped the K, but I rivered the 9.

So them 2 hands helped matters but other than that, was standard just value-towning. Nice to get off to a good start. So I'm now up £22.18 from my first 3 sessions. I'm working on a basis of 80 hands per hour(per table) which I think is fair for below figures.

Hands Playeds :     1120
    Profit in BIs    :   +5.5BIs

• edited August 2012
    Got a good (volume-wise) session in tonight, 4tabled for 3 hours. Started badly, lost a BI got it in on the flop with a flopped set of 7s v a flopped set of Aces. Few other coolers lefft me down a few BIs. Managed to grind back a bit of it to finish £7 down for the session.

Hands Played    :    2080
    Profit in BIs      : +3.75BIs
    Poker Points     :    401
  • edited August 2012
    I've decided that I'm gonna withdraw my roll from 'my other site' to stick it back on Sky. I'm leaving $10 in there so I can still play the odd homegame with Doh and whatnot but that's it. My roll there isn't as high as it was at it's peak but I can't complain... I deposited £20 there a month or two ago and after withdrawing and converting back to pounds I've come away with £100 to add to my Sky roll.

So that's a nice addition to my roll. I'll still be playing 4NL for a while longer because my (now) £200 roll on Sky is still only 25 BIs at 8NL and I want more than that to be 4-6tabling, but it should speed up the process of moving up to 8NL and 10NL.

On a non-poker related topic, I recently applied for an internal role in work and found out on Friday that I got it. This means I'm getting a pretty massive (to me) pay-rise. Me and Emma were discussing treating ourselves, because we're normally very tight and we're gonna be about £500 better off per month, so I might be buying in direct to DTD.... Only problem with that is we're having serious trouble finding a babysitter for the weekend.
  • edited August 2012
    Well I sat down tonight looking forward to what should be a nice profitable evening against alot of drunk bad 4NL players, little did I know I was in for THE most brutal cash session I've ever had. Literally just cooler after cooler with me being on the losing end every time. I got it in pre with

QQ v KK
    QQ v KK
    JJ v AA
    TT v AA

Then I got it in on the flop twice with top 2pr, both times my opponent flopped a set. I didn't manage to bink my miracle cards in any of the above hands btw. The few fish that weren't running like god v me managed to make a dreadful session into just a pretty bad one. Finished £14.94 down, and this is exactly why I don't believe 20BIs is enough to play 5-6tables.

Hands Played    :    3080
    Profit in BIs      :  -1.5BIs
    Poker Points     :    436

• edited August 2012
    Congratulations on the promotion - well done mate
  • edited August 2012
    Sat down for another session tonight, and  was gutted to see the coolers from last night continue. Lost a BI within about 5 mins getting it in on the flop with a set of 4s v a set of Aces. That kinda stuff carried on for a bit, then in the space of about 5 mins, I stacked 3 people to get me back on track. Finished £5.04 up for the night.

Hands Played    :    3880
    Profit in BIs      :  -0.25BIs
    Poker Points     :    460
  • edited August 2012
    So I played my £22 BH tonight which I won free entry to in that Shed quiz. Started really well, very focussed, very disciplined. Chipped up well got my first bounty when a short lead into me on a Jxx flop and I rejammed with AJ, he called with TT and I held. A second chance for a bounty came when I jammed over a shorty (like 4BB) limp with A8, called by A6 but he flops the 6 and turns the nut flush :(

Completely butchered the hand below. Think it was definitely go with it on the turn, or just fold the flop. I leave towards going with it on the turn on reflection because of how aggro Lucy4 was.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    robbo629 Small blind   50.00 50.00 3930.00
    lucy4 Big blind   100.00 150.00 3605.00
      Your hole cards
    • J
    • A

Lambert180 Raise   250.00 400.00 3942.50
    Monkey402 Fold        
    karlluke Fold        
    robbo629 Fold        
    lucy4 Call   150.00 550.00 3455.00
    Flop

• A

lucy4 Check        
    Lambert180 Bet   300.00 850.00 3642.50
    lucy4 Raise   1162.50 2012.50 2292.50
    Lambert180 Call   862.50 2875.00 2780.00
    Turn

lucy4 Bet   1437.50 4312.50 855.00
    Lambert180 Fold        
    lucy4 Muck        
    lucy4 Win   2875.00   3730.00
    lucy4 Return   1437.50 0.00 5167.50
    But oh well, I came away with £7.50 for nothing, so that's an extra 2 x 4NL BIs to my roll :)
  • edited August 2012
    Right the money from my other site came into my bank today so I've now deposited it on here, was £90.

I'm going through a really soul destroying period where I just seem to be getting coolered over and over. Just one of many tonight was flopping the J-high flush on a Q-high board, got it in on a non-club turn to see he flopped the K-high flush :( Finished £6.78 down tonight, so that's 4 fairly sizeable losing sessions out of the last 5.

Hands Played:     5680
    Bankroll:             £158.76
    Profit/Loss:      -£16.28
    Poker Points:       538 (£5.38)

Lots of hands to be posted in the clinic so keep your eyes peeled.
  • edited August 2012
    Such a relief to bag my first winning session in a little while. It did start off with an early cooler... I raised my standard 5x with KK, 1 caller, flop comes 79Jcc and I bet abuot 80% of the pot, he min-raises and I just flat A) to disguise the strength of my hand and B) to see if any of the draws come in on the turn. The turn is a 5spades, complete blank, we only got just over a pot sized bet left so I just shove and he turns over 8T for the flopped nuts.

But that aside, things went pretty well and I managed to grind it back and make a profit of £6.26 for the night.

Hands Played:     6280
    Bankroll:             £165.02
    Profit/Loss:      -£10.02
    Poker Points:       554 (£5.38)

Few hands to come in the clinic no doubt. I didn't wanna set any financial targets etc because no matter how well I play, I have no real control over that in the short term and the short term can be quite long in poker, so I just set myself the goal of making sure I constantly try to assess and improve my play by posting hands in the clinic.

Things did feel alot better tonight, I felt like I was thinking about what I actually wanted my bets to acheive alot more rather than just clicking buttons.
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to ..:
    Such a relief to bag my first winning session in a little while. It did start off with an early cooler... I raised my standard 5x with KK, 1 caller, flop comes 79Jcc and I bet abuot 80% of the pot, he min-raises and I just flat A) to disguise the strength of my hand and B) to see if any of the draws come in on the turn. The turn is a 5spades, complete blank, we only got just over a pot sized bet left so I just shove and he turns over 8T for the flopped nuts. But that aside, things went pretty well and I managed to grind it back and make a profit of £6.26 for the night. Hands Played:     6280 Bankroll:             £165.02 Profit/Loss:      -£10.02 Poker Points:       554 (£5.38) Few hands to come in the clinic no doubt. I didn't wanna set any financial targets etc because no matter how well I play, I have no real control over that in the short term and the short term can be quite long in poker, so I just set myself the goal of making sure I constantly try to assess and improve my play by posting hands in the clinic. Things did feel alot better tonight, I felt like I was thinking about what I actually wanted my bets to acheive alot more rather than just clicking buttons.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Think you are spot on lambert and if you think about bet sizing on every hand, let the timer run for a bit and not just press raise call or fold buttons but acturaly type it in, your game improves and it makes you think rather than do the motions. I find especialy if im on tilt im more agressive and just press the 2x 3x or min raise a big bet or shove without thinking about the end result or give myself time to fold and fight again which inevetably gets me to commited in pots then out to bad beats. Its like chess and you have to think a couple of moves ahead and keeping control.

hand above not played to well nothing wrong with a raise there pre but if opponant was quite agressive maybe check the flop utg wait for them to bet then reraise or flat call until the turn or ship it over the top of the reraise post flop. You intended to hit the A and you did so you cant chicken out if your gonna call the flop! the turn card made no difference so why call the flop if you didnt intend to get your chips in and get max value. Sometimes you have to bite the bullit and take a stand! you either double up or your out, never leave your self vulnerable and short cos of an agressive player, you still woulda had chips left if you made the call on the river and all you did there was convince yourself you were losing when you may not have been and left your self short and open to attack again.
    Gl bud 
  • edited August 2012
    Cheers for the input Dazler.... you win a prize for being the first person in I dunno how long to post on my diary (other than me).

....You're prize is that you get to play Largearce in the Semi-Final of the HU comp :)
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 - A Tale Of 2 Bankrolls -----:
    Cheers for the input Dazler.... you win a prize for being the first person in I dunno how long to post on my diary (other than me). ....You're prize is that you get to play Largearce in the Semi-Final of the HU comp :)
    Posted by Lambert180
    lol lambert i would post daily but i cant afford the stamp, ty for the prize too shame i have to wait until he gets back from his hols to claim it :)
  • edited August 2012
    the AJ hand -

as a general rule don't call flop check raises if you won't call a pot sized bet on a brick turn

you appear to change formats/challenges too often, don't know if you get bored or whatever but its probably hindering your overall progress, focus on cash! 4-6 tables 2 hours max per session (to avoid burning out), change tables if you have bad position ect!
  • edited August 2012
    agreee with NColley.  Go with one thing and focus on it. Maybe have an DYM/MTT/Sat day once a week or so to change things up.  to really get your BR a major boost then go for the micro sats into the mains if you have the time to do it, or on a day off....but only go for these sats if you can afford them out of your cash roll.

also looking at the clinic you can sometimes overdo things.  aim for more of a balance.

dunno how many tables you're playing but another tip I would say is that if you are stagnating then drop down a table or 2.  this will mean you'll be able to pay more attention to the players and also you'll be able to think thru the hands better yourself.

oh and just cos no one replies doesn't mean people aren't reading :)

• edited August 2012
    hi Paul,
    i have posted several times in the past giving comments opinions etc,
    but as you don't normally reply or give any feedback i stopped bothering.
    also the way you have set out arranging your stats i find it dificult to understand as it's all about buy-ins etc.
    why not make it easier and less complicated to follow.
    also you write alot about specific hands...who cares about them?apart from you.
    thousands of hands are played every day...same old same old.
    i'm sorry if my comments seem a bit harsh,but i'm just telling it as i see it.
    no hard feelings meant.
    (* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- 4NL to 20NL ----- Target = 50BIs for 20NL within 12 months:
    the AJ hand - as a general rule don't call flop check raises if you can't call a pot sized bet on a brick turn you appear to change formats/challenges too often, don't know if you get bored or whatever but its probably hindering your overall progress, focus on cash! 4-6 tables 2 hours max per session (to avoid burning out), change tables if you have bad position ect!
    Posted by NColley
    Yeah that is definitely true, but this is an attempt to stop all that. I had about $160 on the 'big site', I've withdrawn most of that and put it on Sky. I've left a little bit still on there, so if I ever get bored, fancy a change, I can have a little go on there, but my Sky BR will now be for cash. And yeah that's what I've been doing so far, playing between 4and 6 tables usually for between 1-2hours.
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- 4NL to 20NL ----- Target = 50BIs for 20NL within 12 months:
    agreee with NColley.  Go with one thing and focus on it. Maybe have an DYM/MTT/Sat day once a week or so to change things up.  to really get your BR a major boost then go for the micro sats into the mains if you have the time to do it, or on a day off....but only go for these sats if you can afford them out of your cash roll. also looking at the clinic you can sometimes overdo things.  aim for more of a balance. dunno how many tables you're playing but another tip I would say is that if you are stagnating then drop down a table or 2.  this will mean you'll be able to pay more attention to the players and also you'll be able to think thru the hands better yourself. oh and just cos no one replies doesn't mean people aren't reading :)
    Posted by scotty77
    Hi Ryan,

Yeah similar to as I said above, I'm trying to concentrate on this one format now. Cash has always been the format I've wanted to excel at most but have always thrown in the towel far too early. As I've also said above, I'm gonna use my little bit of roll on 'the big site' if I want to have a splash around, or play a 90man SnG, 180man SnG etc to mix it up a bit.

In the past I've been happy playing 6 tables (granted it's in a fairly robotic manner) but for now am playing either 4 or 5 and feel this is low enough that I'm still able to get reads on people etc.

I aint gonna be putting in mass volume in like some other periods I've gone through, but I think 1-2 hours, 4-5tabling maybe 3 times a week is probably gonna be roughly how I  will be going forward.
  • edited August 2012
    Already looking forward to Octobers MTT bankroll challenge! :P :D :P

On a serious note, gl Paul, you can do it.
  • edited August 2012
    hi Paul, i have posted several times in the past giving comments opinions etc, but as you don't normally reply or give any feedback i stopped bothering. also the way you have set out arranging your stats i find it dificult to understand as it's all about buy-ins etc. why not make it easier and less complicated to follow. also you write alot about specific hands...who cares about them?apart from you. thousands of hands are played every day...same old same old. i'm sorry if my comments seem a bit harsh,but i'm just telling it as i see it. no hard feelings meant. (* *)    ^ dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    Apologies if I have not replied to you in the past Devon, I do generally try to reply to everyone who posts on here.

Yeah I started with the whole BIs thing, but it was just stupid and didn't really work, as most times the ups and downs are never gonna be easy multiples of a BI or even 1/2 a BI, so I'm just sticking to straight forward profit/loss now, including the number of hands so you have an idea of volumes.

Yeah no hard feelings at all Dev. When I post hands, it's generally one of two things... if I post a proper HH like the AJ hand above, then it's to get feedback on how I played it etc like the clinic. If I am just posting a brief description of what happened, it's generally me just venting about coolers lol, although granted that's hardly great reading for most.
  • edited August 2012
    Already looking forward to Octobers MTT bankroll challenge! :P :D :P On a serious note, gl Paul, you can do it.
    Posted by splashies
    Not this time Splashies. I will happily take a bet with you or anyone that this progression with cash will be my only poker target /challenge until Christmas... it will go on indefinitely really, but you gotta set a timescale on these bets ;)

It's time to get a bit of discipline.
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- 4NL to 20NL ----- Target = 50BIs for 20NL within 12 months : Not this time Splashies. I will happily take a bet with you or anyone that this progression with cash will be my only poker target /challenge until Christmas... it will go on indefinitely really, but you gotta set a timescale on these bets ;) It's time to get a bit of discipline.
    Posted by Lambert180

Do you want to have a nl4 profit challenge until xmas?

I haven't really played any poker for a month now, so will be good to back into it. I'll probably be putting in similar volume as you mentioned in your other post. A few hours in the eveings a few times a week.
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- 4NL to 20NL ----- Target = 50BIs for 20NL within 12 months : Do you want to have a nl4 profit challenge until xmas? I haven't really played any poker for a month now, so will be good to back into it. I'll probably be putting in similar volume as you mentioned in your other post. A few hours in the eveings a few times a week.
    Posted by splashies
    Yeah sounds good mate. There's the potential I will be at 8NL by then but I dunno, I'm at £165 now and will be moving up when I have 50 BIs so (£400), so maybe, maybe not, I'll keep ya posted anyway.
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- 4NL to 20NL ----- Target = 50BIs for 20NL within 12 months : Yeah sounds good mate. There's the potential I will be at 8NL by then but I dunno, I'm at £165 now and will be moving up when I have 50 BIs so (£400), so maybe, maybe not, I'll keep ya posted anyway.
    Posted by Lambert180
    :o why so many?
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- 4NL to 20NL ----- Target = 50BIs for 20NL within 12 months : Yeah sounds good mate. There's the potential I will be at 8NL by then but I dunno, I'm at £165 now and will be moving up when I have 50 BIs so (£400), so maybe, maybe not, I'll keep ya posted anyway.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Ok well il be moving up too. Not sure how much I'm going to deposit yet but it will be quite small and il prob move up to nl8 when i reach £200. Will probably only deposit £50 tbh. Have a think and let me know if you want to add a prize etc. Will be starting my quest next week.
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- 4NL to 20NL ----- Target = 50BIs for 20NL within 12 months : :o why so many?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Well I think you need more BIs in your roll, the more tables you play for a start. When I step up to 10NL, I'll probably start with 2-3 and move to 4-6 when I get happy with things and have notes on some players. But when I move to 20NL+ a level I've NEVER played a single hand of, I'll be playing 1-2 tables max for a while just til I get into it.

I want to get in the habit of good BRM now so it's just automatic when I move to higher levels where it'll be much more important. I also want the comfort of a larger BR when I move to levels which I have not played before as it will be a learning process as I go, and I want a big enough BR to be able to learn without stressing out that I lost 20% of my BR in one bad session.

So I'll playing a 50 BI strategy for each level, and stepping back down when/if I drop to 40BIs for that level.
  • edited August 2012

I think that's wayyyyy too nitty, especially for the first jump from nl4 to nl8. and then to nl10.

You might have a point nl10 to 20, but still abit much imo.

You don't have to make a big deal of moving up, you can play nl10 and nl4 together. 

Having £350 (built up from £100 or whatever) and still grinding nl4 is just mental imo. 

25xbuy ins to 'shoot' at the level above is fine.

edit* Yes I've been stuck at the same level for literally years now etc etc, different @ micro micros tho :P
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 ----- 4NL to 20NL ----- Target = 50BIs for 20NL within 12 months : Apologies if I have not replied to you in the past Devon, I do generally try to reply to everyone who posts on here. Yeah I started with the whole BIs thing, but it was just stupid and didn't really work, as most times the ups and downs are never gonna be easy multiples of a BI or even 1/2 a BI, so I'm just sticking to straight forward profit/loss now, including the number of hands so you have an idea of volumes. Yeah no hard feelings at all Dev. When I post hands, it's generally one of two things... if I post a proper HH like the AJ hand above, then it's to get feedback on how I played it etc like the clinic. If I am just posting a brief description of what happened, it's generally me just venting about coolers lol, although granted that's hardly great reading for most.
    Posted by Lambert180
    hi Paul,
    glad you've taken my post in good spirit m8.
    i really do wish you all the best & gl with hitting your targets.
    :)
    dev