You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Lambert180 ----- Life After The Grind -------

Comments

• edited July 2012
    Bit of a disappointing month in the end, think I was about £50 down in the end, even after getting my £42 C4P, but I know it was that downswing on £5 Hypers that killed me.

Not entirely sure what I'll be doing this month, but I definitely won't be putting in the same kinda volume I did last month. I am taking JJ's (and Splashies') to give the hypers a proper go with the 2% rake so I'm playing some games on there tonight and will continue to play throughout the month. I'll try to get at least 500 games played on that site, won't be posting every day but will keep track and post my updates every so often.
  • edited July 2012
    As I said, I won't be posting my results after every session but I thought I'd stick up tonight's results just to get the ball rolling... plus I made a small profit lol.

Played some 3.50s and some 1.50s so in total I...

Played:            29
    Won:                17
    Profit:             +98p
    ROI:                 1.37%

Annoying it's not better because I won 11/15 in the $1.50s, but only 6/14 at the $3.50s.
  • edited July 2012
    Good luck with the hypers!
  • edited July 2012
    Not a bad day in all.

Was looking at the tourney schedule earlier when Sky asked us what we'd want replacing to add £10 and £20 MTTs, then I noticed a 15 min TT for £2.20 kicking off and I was bored so thought I'd bundle in. Ended up cashing for £4.10 so small profit. The annoying thing was about 2 mins before the end, I got moved tables to UTG (I think) and so wasn't dealt a hand til the BB got round to me but that never happened before it ended, so spent last few minutes just sat there. Was wanting to try to chip up more :(

Then tonight I played an online 'home game' on another site, it was PLO and PLHEm $2 BI, with 1 rebuy and 1 add-on, winner takes all. Managed to run unbelievably well, and take it down for $34 :)

Got it in very early AK v AA and board came xxKKK lol, so doubled up, then next hand flopped my set of 4s and took another player out, then got it all in 3way, AQ v KQ v 62, hit my Q to take out 2 more players... got very lucky, didn't even need to rebuy :)

So got off to a good start for July so far :)
  • edited July 2012
    Another small profit last night, went in a £2.30 BH, abuot 158 runners I think and I came 15th for £1.58 + £4.44 in heads. Really annoying cos I was 2nd out of 15 and playing really well,  confident I could go really deep, and then the hand I posted in the clinic happened... could have done with taking it down for £50+

On a non poker topic...

I'm glad (kinda lol) to say that I got a job sorted today. I start this Monday coming working in contract management for corporate groups with British Gas.

Not looking forward to being back to the mon-fri grind, but oh well, can't be a layabout forever.
  • edited July 2012
    Great news about the job, best of luck with that.

Oh, and same for the pokers too.
  • edited July 2012
    nice 1 on getting a job extra money always handy :) 
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 - A Tale Of 2 Bankrolls ----- Bring On SPT Blackpool!!:
    nice 1 on getting a job extra money always handy :) 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Well sadly, the way the benefits system works and me having children, even though the salary is decent, I'll barely have any extra money, especially as my petrol usage will massively increase, I may even possibly be worse off by working :(

But they won't let me scrounge forever, and obviously as I'm promoted, I will start to see a decent affect.
  • edited July 2012
    :( im on the dole n hate it m8 id rather have a job but as i suffer with depression i find it hard to get motivated i know u say u dnt get any extra but gets u out n about meet new people and can open doors for future jobs :) 
  • edited July 2012
    Played another £2 BH today, only 50 odd runners this time, but managed to come 3rd this time for £7.42 + £4.93 in heads.

I'm off to play some 45man SnGs on another site now cos there's no good tournies going on that I wanna play here.
  • edited July 2012
    congratulations on the job Paul,
    & best wishes this month @ poker.
    :)
    dev
  • edited July 2012
    Hi Paul been following this for a long time so thought I should contribute a bit more. Just thought I'd recommend you maybe switch to regular speed HU SnG's for a while. I've built many rolls from the lower level ones in the past and you will be amazed at how good an ROI you can achieve. There's no doubting Hypers are the game of choice at the moment if you check out other forums etc. However for the stakes you're currently playing I just think you'd be able to move up levels far quicker by playing reg speeds. Running over your opponents is far easier and the variance is reduced at least ten fold. Is of course just my take on it and you've got to do what you enjoy. GL whatever you do mate, will be following.

Matt
  • edited July 2012
    Yeah I do see what you're saying Matt, and it is definitely something to consider, but for this month, I'm playing Hypers on a different site where they charge 2% rake as apposed to the 5% on Sky, and see how I get on there. After that I'll see how I feel.

So just a bit of an update with the hypers so far, got in quite alot of volume but have been pretty much break even the entire time. Could be worse but get's a bit boring just being break even ALL the time...

Played:            181
    Won:                95
    Profit:             -£2.38
    ROI:                 -0.87%

• edited July 2012
    Hi Lambert

Congrats on the job, mate. Those DYM hands were unavoidable really but a lovely quad K's eh. Happened at my table tonight where two chaps went all in after an xxx flop AK v AA and yes the next two cards were KK!!!
  • edited July 2012
    Played a few different bits and bobs in the last day or two that I aint posted...

Played the £25 guaranteed £1.10 rebuy yesterday, 2 rebuys and an add-on and came 3rd for £9.60 so made a £5.20 profit on that... could be £5.50 if Sky didn't charge rake on rebuys/addons ;)

Played Donk in 2x best of 5s @ £1.05 Hypers today and he bloody won 6 -1 :( so that was -£5.35

Then I played my HU Hyper Round 2 games tonight, ended up getting a randomer join first time and beat him, then I beat Engy 3-1 so that was £2.75 profit

And I played in the £2.20 Deepstack tonight, was doing really well, 88 runners and we were down to 31, then I made what would have been a great hero call on the end if he hadn't just rivered his GS with junk :(
  • edited July 2012
    Played 2 forum SnGs last night £2.20 10 seaters.

First one I got bluffed off the river very early on KK22x board and got bluffed off by A-high when I had a PP just bigger than 2s. That left me crushed and then I jammed A8s into Irene's AKs :(

Next one I luckboxed the first hand winning TT v QQ, then went on to TID for £10 so not a bad night :)

And I've got my C4P finally so BR is up  to about £210 now, with abuot $40 on another site.
  • edited July 2012
    Feeling pretty sick... just bubbled the £100 Gtd Speed.

Top 3 were paid and I got down to the final 4 with stacks something like this....

Me - 50k
    A    - 12k
    B    - 7k
    C    - 14k

And then just completely lost my ability to win a race, called the shorty from the BB twice cos his shove was 2BB and I was on BB, lost both of them, then lost TT v AQ, then lost K6 v A5, and managed to go from hero to zero in minutes, felt pretty sick.
  • edited July 2012
    Glad to say I had my first proper winning session (more than about $1) on Hypers for I dunno how long. Played 33 games and won 21 for a $10.98 profit, so finally back in the black  :)

Played:            214
    Won:                116
    Profit:             +£8.60
    ROI:                 2.67%

Amazing what one decent session can do to your profit/ROI.

Just a shame I couldn't have ran a bit better into that £100 Gtd Speed and took it down for about £65, so ended up being down £9.90 for that (buyin + rebuy + add-on)
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 - A Tale Of 2 Bankrolls -----:
    Feeling pretty sick... just bubbled the £100 Gtd Speed. Top 3 were paid and I got down to the final 4 with stacks something like this.... Me - 50k A    - 12k B    - 7k C    - 14k And then just completely lost my ability to win a race, called the shorty from the BB twice cos his shove was 2BB and I was on BB, lost both of them, then lost TT v AQ, then lost K6 v A5, and managed to go from hero to zero in minutes, felt pretty sick.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Great read lambert!!
    I did the same as this in a sat for a roller, I turned up at FT with 3 getting seats we got down to the last 4 and I had about double 2nd in chips and there where two shorties in the mix with about 3 bb's me thinking I would be clever and get it over with as had about 25bigs and shoved every hand lol anyway the one who was 2nd woke up with aces the first time and funny enough AA beats 7 4 o/s and second time I had queens he called with AJ and say no more!! I think it lasted 3 hands! Teach me to be an idiot.
  • edited July 2012
    Cheers for making me feel a bit better about blowing up with my massive lead Kalie lol.

Well my first day of the new job was pretty decent today. Wasn't due in until 10:30 because management were having a meeting in the morning and they wanted to be there when I arrived, and then they sent us home at 4pm to allow us to get home because the Olympic torch was going round Oxford (where I work) so all the roads were being closed, so bit of a lazy day today.

Played an £8 SPT sat after getting home from work, was completely card dead the whole game, got a few blind steals through in the later stages, but while still floating aronud starting stack and blinds getting pretty big, I ended up having no choice but to find jam spots, and eventually I walked into 44 and couldn't hit.

Then I missed the other £8 SPT sats, and because I'm annoyed at how little effort I've put into qualifying so far and didn't wanna waste another night without trying, I gave one of the frenzies a go, cost 3 rebuys so £8 in total and I bubbled :(

So that's was a bit annoying, then I played 4 tables of 10NL for about 3 hours and made £17.50 so covered the cost of my SPT attempts.
  • edited July 2012
    I found myself in a few interesting pots yesterday, so I'm gonna post a few hands in the clinic from last night's 10NL session now, so would be grateful for some comments.
  • edited July 2012
    Not posted for a little while cos aint played for a little while. Been quite busy with work and been spending more time with  Emma cos I'm at work alot.

But thought I'd post up that I beat Dohhhh 4-2 in our HU game tonight so that was £1.70 profit and through to the next round. And as an added bonus, we had a last longer going between me, Splashies, GreggHogg and JJ for the HU comp where we all stick in $10, and as Splashies and GreggHogg both went out last round, it was gonna be the winner of me or Doh, so that's a nice $30 bonus :p so that'll take my BR on the other site up to about $90 now, can't be bad from an initial £20 deposit.
  • edited July 2012
    Not posted for a little while cos aint played for a little while. Been quite busy with work and been spending more time with  Emma cos I'm at work alot. But thought I'd post up that I beat Dohhhh 4-2 in our HU game tonight so that was £1.70 profit and through to the next round. And as an added bonus, we had a last longer going between me, Splashies, GreggHogg and JJ for the HU comp where we all stick in $10, and as Splashies and GreggHogg both went out last round, it was gonna be the winner of me or Doh, so that's a nice $30 bonus :p so that'll take my BR on the other site up to about $90 now, can't be bad from an initial £20 deposit.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Very well played mate!! I think every man and his dog own JJ at hypers recently.

I'll ship across the $10 now.
  • edited July 2012
    Bit of a bad night on 10NL last night, fiished about £38 down, some of which was just unavoidable like losing 100BB with set ovet set, but then some was very avoidable by not making terrible bluffs against Rancid lol.

On the bright side, I played some forum 4NL cash and made some decent money back there. The main winning hand for me, I was in the BB and there were 4 shoves infront of me, I hate being 5way but have to call with AA, and I manage to hold. So ended up making about £18 profit on that table, so only 2 10NL BIs down for the night, could be worse.

I haven't given an update on my PS Hypers for ages, cos I aint been playing a huge amount. I'm getting some more games in now, then I'll update but I can tell ya know that I've been virtually dead on break even the entire time.
  • edited July 2012
    Bit of a bad night on 10NL last night, fiished about £38 down, some of which was just unavoidable like losing 100BB with set ovet set, but then some was very avoidable by not making terrible bluffs against Rancid lol. On the bright side, I played some forum 4NL cash and made some decent money back there. The main winning hand for me, I was in the BB and there were 4 shoves infront of me, I hate being 5way but have to call with AA, and I manage to hold. So ended up making about £18 profit on that table, so only 2 10NL BIs down for the night, could be worse. I haven't given an update on my PS Hypers for ages, cos I aint been playing a huge amount. I'm getting some more games in now, then I'll update but I can tell ya know that I've been virtually dead on break even the entire time.
    Posted by Lambert180

Sick pot in 4nl. I was going to play, but felt too tired, so next time! By the way, how much do you study hu hypers? So much more to them than people think...

• edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 - A Tale Of 2 Bankrolls ----- : Sick pot in 4nl. I was going to play, but felt too tired, so next time! By the way, how much do you study hu hypers? So much more to them than people think...
    Posted by patwalshh
    To be honest, I've been pretty lazy recently when it comes to studying Hypers but because even now they're still quite a niche game, there's so few training vids on Youtube or info online about them and I've seen most of them now. And I've just started the new job, so not spending as much time pokering anyway in general.

But yeah there is way more than people think, there is so much more play in them than people think.
  • edited July 2012
    Latest update on my Hypers on my other site then... still very much break even although am in small profit. Since last update I've played 169 and won 89 for a $2.82 profit, woo lol.

Played:            383
    Won:                205
    Profit:             +$11.42
    ROI:                 1.98%

Slow and steady wins the race ;)
  • edited July 2012
    Been a few days without an update now. Not been playing much really, played a few hypers on few today because I was bored looking for a game and nothing good was going, made a few quid on them.

Played a £2.40 satellite for something the other day, can't even remember what it was, but I was only playing cos I was bored and wanted to get some satellite practice in. Didn't wanna play so just bought in direct just before gettingg the seat and kept the cash.

Then I played a $5 home-game on 'another site' today with some Sky regs, there were 6 runners, it was a rebuy and it was winner takes all. I didn't need to rebuy but did get the add-on, ended up taking it down for $75 :)

So I deposited £20 (about $40ish) on this other site about a month ago just to test out the hypers there. Due to only having a tiny BR on that site, I had been playing $1.50s, but since then I've won 2 of them homegames, won $30 for the last longer in the HU comp and turned a small profit from my hypers so I'm up to about $150. So from now on I'll be playing $3.50s on there til I get to about $280ish then I'll move to the $7s.
  • edited July 2012
    Here's the latest update on my $1.50 Hypers before I start playing the $3.50s. Had a bit of a bad session last time which lost most of my profit but oh well, onwards and upwards.

Played:            392
    Won:                207
    Profit:             +$3.68
    ROI:                 0.62%
  • edited July 2012
    Just played my first session of $3.50s and mmm it was glorious, feel like I'm finally getting some payback for all that horrid runbad I had last month.

I played 66 games and won 39 of them, for a $34.20 profit :) I'll start a new table of stats so it's easier for me to work out the ROI. I believe I'm earning loyalty points faster now too, and am already close to redeeming a $10 reward :)

Played:         66
    Won:             39
    Profit:          +$34.20
    ROI:            14.8%

Now that's what I'm talking about!