You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Lambert180 ----- Life After The Grind -------

Comments

• edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 - A Tale Of 2 Bankrolls ----- Bring On SPT Blackpool!!:
    So if you continue playing on Sky at the same rate as you have this month for a whole year, you'll pay an extra £2.5k in rake. That sounds like alot to me. That's just an approximate number but it's based on 10p v 25 p and assuming you maintain 700 or so games for the next two weeks and also maintain that rate for the year. It's a pretty hefty number though. Can you afford to miss out on £2.5k in a year?
    Posted by BorinLoner
    In short... no I can't lol.

It's also more than that as I do intend to be putting more volume in than I currently am. I'd be doing an absolute minimum of 2000 games per month, which means a loss of £300 per month.

But then I do have to take into account that 2000 games, is 6000 poker points which is about £100 C4P per month. Still a big difference but then there's the added factor of how will changing to a larger site affect my win-rate.
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 - A Tale Of 2 Bankrolls ----- Bring On SPT Blackpool!!:
    i know what you mean paul. if you buy any product in a shop and you found it cheaper elsewhere you would buy it there instead. been considering my options for a while myself. gl in what ever decision you make.  phil
    Posted by pod1
    Cheers Phil. Aint seen you aronud for a while.

It is a horrible decision because I really like playing on Sky and everything they do, but no matter how nice the shop keeper is, if my local corner shop is twice the price of Asda, I'll go to Asda :(
  • edited June 2012
    Has anyone played silvia4? just seen on scope they have a 103 winning HU streak on sky.
    Is it just someone dumping moneys?
  • edited June 2012
    Has anyone played silvia4? just seen on scope they have a 103 winning HU streak on sky. Is it just someone dumping moneys?
    Posted by freechips1

lol... this topic has already been dealt with a while ago.. :)   
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 - A Tale Of 2 Bankrolls ----- Bring On SPT Blackpool!! : lol... this topic has already been dealt with a while ago.. :)   
    Posted by djblacke04

I missed it.  Care to fill me in?
  • edited June 2012
    Re: Sky vs. 2% site - Yes, you'll be better off because of less rake , but is that going to mean it's easier to make money?

Firstly, players on 2% site will likely be using HUDs, so you have to decide if this puts you at a disadvantage in any way, and whether you'll have to invest in one and learn to use it yourself.

Secondly, the standard on 2% site - If the standard is higher on that site, then you might be better off paying 5% rake but playing against fish on here instead of sharks on there.

Thirdly, Sharkscope - As I know what 2% site is from the 'discussion' on the Forum DTD page, I also know that, unlike on here where most players will be on Sharkscope, most players on 2% site won't have Sharkscope enabled, so it won't be as easy to find fish.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side :)
  • edited June 2012
    Re: Sky vs. 2% site - Yes, you'll be better off because of less rake , but is that going to mean it's easier to make money? Firstly, players on 2% site will likely be using HUDs, so you have to decide if this puts you at a disadvantage in any way, and whether you'll have to invest in one and learn to use it yourself. Secondly, the standard on 2% site - If the standard is higher on that site, then you might be better off paying 5% rake but playing against fish on here instead of sharks on there. Thirdly, Sharkscope - As I know what 2% site is from the 'discussion' on the Forum DTD page, I also know that, unlike on here where most players will be on Sharkscope, most players on 2% site won't have Sharkscope enabled, so it won't be as easy to find fish. The grass isn't always greener on the other side :)
    Posted by EvilPingu
    The standard would have to be alot higher to make up that level of rake. I can't see that so many players will be playing $7 HU sng's with HUD's. I can't see that the standard of player would be much higher either, to be honest. I've played a few (perhaps 100) HU games on the site in question at about this value. The standard in those regular-speed HU games wasn't great. Must admit that I've never tried the hypers on there, though.

I wouldn't worry about coming up against players that will take you to the cleaners. If that's what you find then at least it will improve your game. I don't want to be advising people to not play on Sky but money talks in the end.
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 - A Tale Of 2 Bankrolls ----- Bring On SPT Blackpool!! : The standard would have to be alot higher to make up that level of rake. I can't see that so many players will be playing $7 HU sng's with HUD's. I can't see that the standard of player would be much higher either, to be honest. I've played a few (perhaps 100) HU games on the site in question at about this value. The standard in those regular-speed HU games wasn't great. Must admit that I've never tried the hypers on there, though. I wouldn't worry about coming up against players that will take you to the cleaners. If that's what you find then at least it will improve your game. I don't want to be advising people to not play on Sky but money talks in the end.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    I've played just over 200 $7 hypers on there over the last few days (mr_cobbler) and IMO the standard isn't that great tbh. You hardly ever meet the same player twice due to the huge traffic there is. 

Back to the roi challenge we are doing Paul, I may have to pull out as I'm now playing them elsewhere. It doesn't look as if JJ will make 1000 games either. 
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 - A Tale Of 2 Bankrolls ----- Bring On SPT Blackpool!! : I've played just over 200 $7 hypers on there over the last few days (mr_cobbler) and IMO the standard isn't that great tbh. You hardly ever meet the same player twice due to the huge traffic there is.  Back to the roi challenge we are doing Paul, I may have to pull out as I'm now playing them elsewhere. It doesn't look as if JJ will make 1000 games either. 
    Posted by splashies
    So you could say... in a last minute u-turn, I am the winner by default? lol

Only joking. Yeah I understand your reasons for playing elsewhere, as obviously I've mentioned in several posts above. I may very well join you in the near future. If so, maybe we can get an ROI challenge set up for July or something (1000 games again)?

How you getting on with your games there? The few games I've played there have only been $3s and I've not noticed any difference in the standard of play, could change at $7s but I'm doubtful. Only observation is that there is virtually zero opportunity for game selection, apart from denying a rematch, because by the time you see someone registered in a game, it's full before you can even click on it lol.

By the way, do you multi-table your hypers? (I play 2 tables)
  • edited June 2012
    not been playing much tbf paul, not saying i have fallen out of love with the game but i have come to a halt in my learning curve and i dont know if i want to put the time and effort into taking it past 30 nl. got to 50nl 3 times now and just cant beat it. getting bored playing lower levels. working  70+ hrs a week at mo and spending alot of time on my bike oh and a wife and 2 kids.
    had the same with darts 5 yrs ago , practised  practised practised got up to county and just couldnt get any better. unless im moving up at what i do i get bored. 
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: Lambert180 - A Tale Of 2 Bankrolls ----- Bring On SPT Blackpool!! : You're much better off shoving these hands than making a regular 3bet.  Unless you had reads that Paul is a total spewman with a high opening frequency and a reluctance to ever fold to a 3b, & with the potential to 4b bluff shove a high % of the time, then it's far better to jam these hands. It's better to to make non all in 3bets with hands which play well post flop when he peels in position. I can't think of 2 hands that play worse post flop against his 3b peeling range than A2 and pocket 2s...... You can fold out a ton of his range that has 45%+ equity against your hands here by just jamming. Depending on the levels (I assume it's level 1 if he's opening to 50) I'd lean towards a fold pre with the A2o and a jam pre with the 2's, but that's because I know he's playing a pretty solid game and wont be getting out of line much.  Looks like the sizes are too big from both, everytime I've watched Paul play he normally opens the minimum in level 1. I'm not sure if he made an adjustment to open to 50? But against a standard min raise open from a competent/solid player, a 3b to 95 is fine, if you're going to try and balance your range abit, and leave him room to jam light, so we can induce, and bluff, as well as get value from worse and play flops.  Making it 120+ narrows his options really to shove/fold, and his jams are rarely/should rarely ever be bluffs as he should have minimal fold equity.  Hope you continue to play a few of these, it's good to get fresh ideas in the clinic, normally don't get many contributions on clinic hyper threads. If you wanna play a few £1 games, best of 5/7 for abit of practise/get some HH's today I'll be around all afternoon from around 2pm. Post here or player search me. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

I totally disagree...

By playing a2 and 22 pre, polorize villians range and know exactly where you are post flop... therefore your decisions are easy.. shove pre with these and you have left yourself with no space to manouver...

Unless it's an a,k,q flop I'm shoving the turn... shoving pre is sooo passe ;o)

Other than 95 and 35 I cant really think of better 'outsmart' post flop hands than a2 & 22

#JustSayin

xx
  • edited June 2012
    It gives me great pleasure to post up my first decent winning session for some time. :)

Yet again my winning session happened while I was at my mum's house. I'm not gonna put this down to any silly superstitions as it's much more likely that I happen to only be at my mum's house on Saturday nights when all the maniacs come out lol.

So I played 17 games and won 11 for a £20.75 profit. Nice feeling to be getting closer and closer to the black again :) If I count my C4P I'm actually only 5 BIs down which is a nice thing to be able to say!

=======================
    Sky Games Played:     716
    Sky Profit/Loss:       -£51.60
    Poker Points:               2195    (£26.34)

=======================

??? Games Player:     48
    ??? Profit/Loss:        -$55.90
    ========================

Ok guys, so it seems the ROI challenge has been a complete flop, but could we have some final stats, just to see how we all got on before we gave up on it?
  • edited June 2012

Well done on the winning session last n8 Paul. Rooting for you even more now, hope you can at least get even this month and 'shove it in some peoples eyes' squaddie style! lol.

Then crush stars nxt month.

Fwiw I'm totally done with hypers on here. Spun a few $$$ up to $40ish on Friday afto when I was donking about, not sure if I'm gonna add to that or try and build it (aggro brm ftw) but my next session will all be played on there until the sky MTTs start. 

6max & HU hypers ftw! Hope I can take it seriously this time.

• edited June 2012
    Only a tiny session tonight, mostly cos I spent too much time mucking about and chatting with JJ and some others, and also cos I'm giving a bit more volume to Emma and a bit less to poker for a bit lol. I wasn't just playing a small session to lock up a profit, it just happens to have turned out that way.

So I played 9 games and won 6 of them for a £12.75 profit.

=======================
    Sky Games Played:     725
    Sky Profit/Loss:       -£38.85
    Poker Points:               2222    (£26.66)

=======================

========================
  • edited June 2012
    Had another brutal session last night, I'm currently on the new laptop and my notepad document with the results are on the other laptop so I can't update now, but I will do later/tomorrow. Suffice to say it was another session of just repeatedly getting coolered and losing race after race. I know that it will even out in the long term but it's getting pretty hard to cope with at the moment.

Last night's session meant that I'm down to only 30BIs for my level so I have begrudgingly admitted that I have to stick to the rules I set and step down to £3.15s until I get it back up.

Truth be told, I know I have an edge and can beat them, but not sure if I can handle the swings involved. As I say, I'll be carrying on til the end of June, then I think I'll give Hypers a go on the side on my other site seen as I got a 2nd bankroll to play around with, but on Sky will mainly be playing other stuff.
  • edited June 2012
    Who'd have thought it!! I move down a level, and start bloody running good lol... wish I couldda won this many games at the £5s, but oh well, BRM FTW. I'm sure I'll be back up to £5s before I know it.

Also, tonight I decided to give 3/4tabling a go. I've found alot of the moves in Hypers very robotic apart from the odd opponent dependent situations, so seemed to be doing ok 3/4 tabling.

Results to come later.
  • edited June 2012
    Right, so here are the brutal results from Monday (or was it Sunday) and then the slightly better results from last night.

Was still playing at £5s for the earlier of the 2 sessions, played 42 and only won 16, was pretty brutal variance-wise, I won't bore you with all the stories cos I'm starting to bore myself with how bad I'm running. The result for that session was -£60.50

That was the session which meant after repeated battering of my BR, I only had 30 BIs for my level so decided to step down to £3.15s. Played 19 of them last night and won 11 for a £6.15 profit. Shame I couldn't have done it at £5s but I know I gotta be strict with BRM cos these games could easily destroy a BR very quickly.

=======================
    Sky Games Played:     786
    Sky Profit/Loss:       -£93.20
    Poker Points:               2397    (£28.76)

=======================

========================

Pretty sick being that far in the red when I know I'm playing well. One day I'll run like god in return for all this nastiness I've had... until then hopefully decent BRM will keep a roll in my account til that happens :)

On the upside, I'm still well on target to get my expected £42 C4P which at the moment would put me at about -£50 which in the grand scheme of things is only actually 10 BIs, which is pretty small for a game as swingy as these.

Onwards and upwards.

Paul
  • edited June 2012
    Another quick session with a small profit. Still floating between playing 3/4 tables too.

Played 28 games and won 15 for a £1.80 profit.

=======================
    Sky Games Played:     814
    Sky Profit/Loss:       -£91.40
    Poker Points:               2453    (£29.44)

=======================

========================

Small profit but as I've said previously, I'm just happy to make slow and steady profits at the moment. Just short of £30 in C4P now.
  • edited June 2012
    Well I'm back from Blackpool... I was happy with how I played just a shame I couldn't win a flip and go a bit further. Here's a copy and paste of something I posted elsewhere to describe how my tourney went...
    Really enjoyed Blackpool, got off to a VERY slow start, just wasn't picking up any hands or hitting any flops from about 2pm til about 6pm. Was down to about 11k, won a flip AK v 66 to put me up to about 20k. Then when the blinds/antes starting getting to a decent level I started crushing it, table was very weak apart from a few good players like MacMonster.

Got up to 60k (just above average) just through constant blind stealing, with about 50 players left. Blinds I believe were 600/1200 with 100 antes, guy open shoves in early pos with about 35k, folds to me in late position, I re-jam with QQ. Was speaking to TommyD about this after the hand and I think there's no way he open shoves that big a stack with AA/KK cos he's losing so much value, so it's worst case scenario AK, or much more likely alot of smaller PPs that I'm crushing. It was worst case scenario, he had AK and he hit trip Kings :(

That would have put me up on 100k and bagged my first bounty, as it was, it put me on about 25k with no bounties. This was just before the end of the first day, so after a few more orbits I ended up going into day 2 with 20k which was 7BB once the blinds increased for the start of day 2. Got a few shoves through in day 2, got up to 25k, then blinded back down to 20k, blinds were 1500/3000 with a 300 ante at this point. Sikas min-raises in early pos, it's folded round to me on the BB, I only have about 7BB and the blinds are going up next hand which will leave me with 5BB (and on the SB) so I decide to reshove A6s knowing I have no FE. He shows KQ which I'm quite happy about, flop comes 789, loving it by now, he turns a K, and the river didn't bring a 5, T or A :(

Finished 26th so I guess it's still a decent run but could have been so much better.
  • edited June 2012
    Right, so that's Blackpool out the way. Got a couple of sessions to update from Thursday that I forgot to post up before I left on Friday. Both sessions, I won exactly half my games so just lost a bunch of rake.

Won 4 out of 8 in one session for a £1.20

Then won 28 out of 56 for a loss of £8.40

=======================
    Sky Games Played:     878
    Sky Profit/Loss:       -£101.00
    Poker Points:               2581    (£30.97)

=======================

========================

• edited June 2012
    Well I am well and truly sick of Hypers! lol. I don't know what to play now but I know that I just cannot handle the swings involved in Hypers, I still stand by the fact that they are beatable and I would be a winning player at them, but I just can't cope with the brutal swings that come with them.

Another thing I've realised is that me posting up results after everysingle session just puts a bit of pressure on me to win and be able to post up a winning result. I know myself that sometimes I've been down for the session, and carried on playing to attempt to get back in the black so I don't have to post a bad result, which inevitably results in more losses. So I'll still keep up the posting on here, but will lay off on posting session results non-stop. Will probably post results every week or so, or every month or something.

Will carry on playing, just floating about on various games, whatever takes my fancy til the end of June, then I'll try and think what I wanna do.

One thing that has crossed my mind, is that I play the game almost entirely for fun (plus making a small amount of money) and I enjoy live poker a million times more than I do online. So I have considered, withdrawing most of my Sky BR and just using it to play live. I'd still leave a bit in and play bits and bobs, but yeh just one potential plan so far...
  • edited June 2012
    Don't give them up Paul, just play the 2% games instead. Im really enjoying them, played over 1000 now in two weeks.

I do think that maybe playing a variety of games is good too, especially as you say, having fun is big factor. But, for sure, you can beat the hypers, having watched you play the other week via joinme.
  • edited June 2012
    Yeah I know Splashies, I have no doubt at all that I can beat them, I know I'm doing things right and I do consistently (obviously not all the time) get it in good, but it's just really wrecking my head how often I'm doing everything right and getting crushed by variance. I don't mind losing the odd 70/30 but for past couple of weeks, it's been the norm rather than the exception, and I think it's starting to affect my mindset now before I even start the session.
  • edited June 2012
    Yeah I know Splashies, I have no doubt at all that I can beat them, I know I'm doing things right and I do consistently (obviously not all the time) get it in good, but it's just really wrecking my head how often I'm doing everything right and getting crushed by variance. I don't mind losing the odd 70/30 but for past couple of weeks, it's been the norm rather than the exception, and I think it's starting to affect my mindset now before I even start the session.
    Posted by Lambert180
    I'd definitely recommend 'the mental game of poker' by jared tendler, he covers exactly this. He gives the example of recently having an argument with a friend or spouse, the issue goes unresolved and eventually builds up to effect other parts of your relationship. Poker can be exactly like this, especially if your second guessing yourself on simple plays etc. 

Hope things pick up!
  • edited June 2012
    Just came across this Lambert and I remember playing you twice in the hypers yesterday. I don't know if you remember the games but we were 1-1 A9 V A5 and KQ V Q10 were the 2 decisive hands. I called you both times ahead but had I been holding your hands on both occasions with the blinds we were at I would have shoved both times like you did. Throughout I felt you were a decent player and the only way I could see the games going were either a cooler or by getting to a shove/fold blind level where the game is forced. Over the last week or so I've got into them and played 84 games being 49-35 up. It's a pretty small game sample size and not sure if I've been getting lucky or playing well. I feel a bit of both but theres no reason that based on our games yesterday that you can make profit on them. I fancy rematches against certain opponents and you were 1 I didn't fancy as I feel theres a better game out there for me in another game. So keep at them mate.
  • edited June 2012
    Yeah I do remember the games Eagles. Thanks for the compliments, I do have confidence in my ability to beat them, but I know there will be lots of ups and downs along the way, and just not sure I can handle it.

On an unrelated topic, made £8.30 2tabling 10NL for abuot 1hr 30 tonight :)
  • edited June 2012
    Well I got my 200 poker points today for playing at Blackpool which took me up to about 2850, so I needed to earn 150 in the next 3 days if I wanted to reach the next threshold... only one way to do it... Hypers.

Only need to play 75 games @ £3 to earn enough C4P and I just played 30 tonight and made  a £7.50 profit.

Now up to 2934 points for £35.21 in C4P.

Decided I'm gonna give that DYM challenge another go seen as it's some cheap fun, and I did set it up so should probably take part. Playing my 60p game now.
  • edited June 2012
    Well I got off to a good start with my DYM challenge, just won my 60p and my £1.15 games first go, so that's another £1.25 profit and another 3 poker points ;)

63 poker points to go :)
  • edited June 2012
    Another interesting night tonight, I'm enjoying playing a few different games rather than just grinding the same old games non stop.

I carried on my DYM challenge tonight, beat the £2.25, £3.30 and £5.50 games tonight, so next up is the £11 game.

Then I played 19 Hypers (still going for my 3k C4P) and won 10 for a big 15p profit!!

Then I played one of Irene's snogs, pick up AA very early on in the BB, 2 shoves in front of me, I make the call and see Q4off (lol) and TT.  The TT manages to river a straight which leaves me with 300 chips. Next hand I jam 33 into 88 :( .... so that was £2 dumped off.

Up to 2986 poker points now (£35.83) so just need to earn 14 poker points tomorrow night, 7 hypers or a mix of something else.
  • edited July 2012
    Well I played my £11 game DYM tonight, I'll ruin the suspense by saying it sucks cos I bubbled :(

So sick... we were on the bubble for absolutely ages, everyone up and down, stacks were all fairly even at 200/400 so no-one particularly comfortable. Everyone just making a steal every now and then and not much really changing.  Then the below hand happened...loving it when the cards turned over but no such luck.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    peanut1 Small blind   200.00 200.00 2342.50
    Lambert180 Big blind   400.00 600.00 2130.00
      Your hole cards
    • A

JackWest Fold        
    w_shammy Call   400.00 1000.00 3032.50
    peanut1 Call   200.00 1200.00 2142.50
    Lambert180 Check        
    Flop

• A

peanut1 Bet   400.00 1600.00 1742.50
    Lambert180 All-in   2130.00 3730.00 0.00
    w_shammy Fold        
    peanut1 Call   1730.00 5460.00 12.50
    peanut1 Show
    • A

Lambert180 Show
    • A

Turn

River

peanut1 Win Two Pairs, Aces and 2s 2730.00   2742.50
    Lambert180 Win Two Pairs, Aces and 2s 2730.00   2730.00

Shortly after we split the pot above, this hand happened... I assume it's safe to say that this is 100% an easy jam?
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    Lambert180 Small blind   200.00 200.00 1930.00
    JackWest Big blind   400.00 600.00 2495.00
      Your hole cards
    • A

w_shammy Fold        
    peanut1 Fold        
    Lambert180 All-in   1930.00 2530.00 0.00
    JackWest Call   1730.00 4260.00 765.00
    Lambert180 Show
    • A

JackWest Show
    • A
    • A

Flop

• J

Turn

River

JackWest Win Two Pairs, Aces and 7s 4260.00   5025.00
    On the bright side I played some hypers tonight to help me get to 3k C4P, so I played 11 and won 7 for a £7.35 profit, so that pretty much covered my DYM buy-in.

I'm done now so finally I finished on 3010 poker points for just over £42 :)