You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Diary of an MTT player becoming a cash player :o

edited June 2014 in Poker Chat
Hi K,
looking forward to the read. Nice bink! ;-)
p

Comments

• edited August 2013
    Hi everyone, I have tried this before but didn't keep on top of it. I have tried to adapt to cash, but still so much work to play at the level I want to be at, and tbh I  really lack patience playing nl10 or 20 :(

I recently got another decent result in a main event on here and have thought long and hard about wether I feel I can earn a steady income playing poker. I definately cannot play cash and earn a steady income. But my ROI on tournaments is sitting at 120% over nearly 1000 entries so I think it's possible to earn this way.

I don't think there are any other forum members doing an MTT diary so hopefully this will be a good read.

My aim: To remain disciplined with my BR and to become a priority member  within the next year.

I have removed alot of my winnings from the ME cash and am going to play off a BR of £450 (This site only) which is enough on this site considering buy ins. I do work full time but will put in as many hours as possible with this!

I am also attempting the dym challenge aswell, so will keep up to date with that within this thread!

Gl at the felt all.

Kalie x 
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Diary of an MTT player:
    Hi everyone, I have tried this before but didn't keep on top of it. I have tried to adapt to cash, but still so much work to play at the level I want to be at, and tbh I  really lack patience playing nl10 or 20 :( I recently got another decent result in a main event on here and have thought long and hard about wether I feel I can earn a steady income playing poker. I definately cannot play cash and earn a steady income. But my ROI on tournaments is sitting at 120% over nearly 1000 entries so I think it's possible to earn this way. I don't think there are any other forum members doing an MTT diary so hopefully this will be a good read. My aim: To remain disciplined with my BR and to become a priority member  within the next year. I have removed alot of my winnings from the ME cash and am going to play off a BR of £450 (This site only) which is enough on this site considering buy ins. I do work full time but will put in as many hours as possible with this! I am also attempting the dym challenge aswell, so will keep up to date with that within this thread! Gl at the felt all. Kalie x 
    Posted by Batkin88
    Good luck
  • edited July 2012

You have an amazing mtt record Kalie, just scoped u!

I dont know why u were doubting yourself in the clinic earlier. If it aint broke, dont fix it!

Good luck, i will look forward to reading your diary!
  • edited July 2012
    Looking forward to this thread :) Gl.
  • edited July 2012

GL Kalie, you certainly have the game to do well in MTTs, best of luck
  • edited July 2012
    This will be awesome - glglglgl
  • edited July 2012
    Ok so here is the first update!!
    I sat down with the intention to sat into the primo at midday today, but it just wasnt happening!! I was playing ultra tight in one and shoved AQ (Only hand I played) and was called by A4 it didnt finish well. I was then set up pretty in another, but started spewing chips off and finished just before the bubble.

So I decided to move on and have a go at the 5k BH sat, again it wasn't going well I ran KQ suited into TT on a Q T 8 flop then immediately after I shoved JT in SB for 12 bigs and was called by Q2 off suit that was painful lol!

Anyway onwards and upwards I decided to enter a couple of Bounty Hunters, one at 13:30 and the other the 2 O'clock main event £11 - £500 GTD. The first one was going well for about .......... 3 hands then I crashed out I can't remember how and I have taken notes, just conveniently left this one out of the notes.

Ok finally the 2pm BH!!
    I ran well immediately doubling up, flop goes 4 way to a min raise and 3 callers pre. I'm BB I hold J9 hearts flop comes 5 8 T (two hearts mmmmmmmmmm) very nice its then min bet and called all the way round I raise just over pot and it's folded round to the button who calls. Next card a rainbow 7, so perfect I bet, he raises I stick him in, he turns over a very slowplayed kings!! hmmmmmm . The best thing is the next card was the K of hearts which gave him a set but improved my hand to a flush lol!

Anyway I went on to take 13 bounties and build a big stack, but someone is miles ahead with chips!!
    Onto another FT as chipleader yipppeeeeeeee! However it's short lived a few hands in I lost a flip 55 v AT then again with 88 V JT :( so was now shorty. I get it in with A5 v 44 and bink a 5, which puts me back in contention, and the grind begins. The FT seemed to last for ages but finally went HU!! (Now for anyone who doesn't know my HU game is shocking) I had nearly 2 to 1 chiplead but somehow donked it off then got it in terribly bad with 4 2 o/s attempting a move but got looked up with A8.

All in all though 2 second finished in a row I'm content with, although should of taken down this one.

All in all half decent start could of been a bit better but binked at the end so ok!

BR:      £600

Profit : £150.40

Oh and also I won the first DYM of the challenge in the 60p!! I folded everyhand and got through in about 5 mins lol!! On to the next one tomorrow!
  • edited July 2012
    Good start Batters, could of sworn it was Katie lol my bad :P 

GL will you be updating about general life or just pokers ;) x
  • edited July 2012
    Good Luck Kalie, will definitely be following this with interest.

Always a fan of your posts in the clinic.
  • edited July 2012
    Nice one, looking forward to reading this.
    Cheers,
    Doug
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: Diary of an MTT player:
    Good start Batters, could of sworn it was Katie lol my bad :P  GL will you be updating about general life or just pokers ;) x
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    General life?? What would you like to know!!! TBH I don't really do much! I work full time and have a near on 3 yr old to look after so not much time for much else! But if anything else happens out of the ordinary I will share.
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: Diary of an MTT player : General life?? What would you like to know!!! TBH I don't really do much! I work full time and have a near on 3 yr old to look after so not much time for much else! But if anything else happens out of the ordinary I will share.
    Posted by Batkin88
    Just wanted to see if this was just poker, or bit of both :) I prefer to get to know people a bit more rather then standard poker ones, will still be watching with interest as i know you do ok x
  • edited July 2012
    gl Kalie
    hope you enjoy the ride
    ;)
    dev
  • edited July 2012
    Great start, good luck!
  • edited July 2012
    gl Kalie hope you enjoy the ride ;) dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    I beg your pardon? lol
  • edited July 2012
    good kalie run good at the tables :)
  • edited July 2012
    I have had a horrid night at the tables :( slowly tilting off money I think. This is mainly due to my lack of BR management! I went and played mastercash like an idiot! I really have run and played bad, folding good hands and losing flips tonight.
    I bought directly into the primo and a few others,  bubbled +1 mini and min cashed in lucky 7's. Really not on my game tbh.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day as now down on my BR!!!!

From this point forward I am never playing cash until this thread closes. Really annoyed that I donked off money on cash tables above my roll limits :(.

BR £431.34

Loss £18.66

• edited July 2012
    Thought I would play one more before I went off to bed, so had a drink something to eat and sat down tilt free :)!

Played really well from the start in a £11 buy in £300 gtd event, just slowly chipping up. Got all the way to the final table without flipping at any point. Went onto the FT as chipleader but immediately got my Kings broke by Q5, he rivered the wheel it was horrible, especially when he got it in on the turn with Q high.
    Anyway got myself heads up once again with a commanding chip lead and felt pretty confident until this happened!
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    Batkin88 Small blind  300.00 300.00 43595.00
    daiheads Big blind  600.00 900.00 21505.00
     Your hole cards
    • A
    • A

Batkin88 Raise  999.00 1899.00 42596.00
    daiheads Call  699.00 2598.00 20806.00
    Flop

• Q
    • Q

daiheads Check     
    Batkin88 Check     
    Turn

• Q

daiheads Bet  600.00 3198.00 20206.00
    Batkin88 Call  600.00 3798.00 41996.00
    River

daiheads All-in  20206.00 24004.00 0.00
    Batkin88 Call  20206.00 44210.00 21790.00
    Batkin88 Show
    • A
    • A

daiheads Show
    • Q

daiheads Win Four Queens 44210.00
    That was pretty sick, the HU went on for around 40 mins just doubling eachother up consistently until I got a lucky break. I had K2 raise pre he calls flop come .... K Q 7 rainbow I bet he shoves I call he turns over Q7  :( Oh dear I think!! The turn is a 7 ergh could this get any worse???? River is a King BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!
    Left him crippled and very next hand won with K8!!

Worth staying up for and kinda sorted my BR massacre out from earlier. Nice to get a heads up under the belt aswell.
    2 days, 3 final tables, two 2nd place finishes and one take down!!

BR £563.43

Profit £ 113.43
  • edited July 2012
    shud have bet the flop & closed down to any action.

good luck on yr quest. if yr doin mtts u gotta stick to them & forget cash, like i say good luck & run good
  • edited July 2012
    nice work

bat trust me just stick to tourments u clearly good at them and feel more confindent at them then cash.

btw ul on the bad beat hu

u mixing any timed tourments with this ?

and u should if u got the time sat into tourments more offten better roi

• edited July 2012
    nice work bat trust me just stick to tourments u clearly good at them and feel more confindent at them then cash. btw ul on the bad beat hu u mixing any timed tourments with this ? and u should if u got the time sat into tourments more offten better roi
    Posted by D_Legend
    Yeah I will start satting in, I was just off my game earlier with them so went into a big tournament as kind of a semi sat (Meaning I was playing the tournament to earn the buy in for the primo) I find it easier that way!

Timed tourneys will be hit and miss although I do very well in them I just really don't like them lol.

Thanks for taking the time to comment

Kalie
  • edited July 2012
    shud have bet the flop & closed down to any action. good luck on yr quest. if yr doin mtts u gotta stick to them & forget cash, like i say good luck & run good
    Posted by seppe
    I'm not sure you can bet the flop and close down HU, especially with another queen on the turn. The only way I was every getting away from this was by checking the flop (Which I did) calling the turn (Which I did) and folding the river shove (oops)

TRhanks for commenting

Kalie
  • edited July 2012
    mayb yr right lol. you do great on mtts so who am i too judge lol. shove pre ftw ha
  • edited July 2012
    Good result in the end then! Nice work!
  • edited July 2012
    Nice diary Batkin. I've caught up now!! You are obviously a player who thinks deeply about their game. Maybe, i can learn something from you. God knows i need it. Mind, poker's still a laugh isn't it. When it stops being fun then get out as long as its not your job, eh?
    I love it and tried a diary too but more as an observational one with less hand analysis(none actually) or win/loss etc. Mind, i have managed to successfully load a couple of pics on ....have a look at my new poker outfit 0n "Profman15....The diary of a novice non grinder ....".....my devious kids bought it for me for fathers day....
    All the best...
  • edited July 2012
    Nice diary Batkin. I've caught up now!! You are obviously a player who thinks deeply about their game. Maybe, i can learn something from you. God knows i need it. Mind, poker's still a laugh isn't it. When it stops being fun then get out as long as its not your job, eh? I love it and tried a diary too but more as an observational one with less hand analysis(none actually) or win/loss etc. Mind, i have managed to successfully load a couple of pics on ....have a look at my new poker outfit 0n "Profman15....The diary of a novice non grinder ....".....my devious kids bought it for me for fathers day.... All the best...
    Posted by profman15
    Thanks for the comments, I read your diary often but just don't post :) I will starts!
    I'm happy to lend advice but at no point am I claiming to be a pro Im just pretty decent MTT wise, but my discipline is foul thats why I have the diary now, to try and conquer the BR management.

Gl at the tables

Kalie
  • edited July 2012
    Not very well today! Went into work and had to come home as so rough. On the plus side though I have a bit of time to play poker :).

Sat down about midday today to try and sat into tonights Main Events. Once again no joy, I ran terribly and was opening far to wide. Played a couple of the Bounty Hunters aswell the standard at my opening table on the £22 £600GTD was painful. It was limp call from everyone, I don't think any flops went 3 way let alone 2 way it was all 5 way with me sitting on the side waiting for aces :). Anyway this plan failed and ended up getting it in pretty well on a TT9 board with JT! However no he flips over QQ and immediately turns a Q!

I'm going to have a small break now as have some housework to do, and will try to come back fully refreshed for tonights mains and the DTD. (Which I'm due a run well in, as never finished well at all in any DTD as of yet)
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: Diary of an MTT player : Thanks for the comments, I read your diary often but just don't post :) I will starts! I'm happy to lend advice but at no point am I claiming to be a pro Im just pretty decent MTT wise, but my discipline is foul thats why I have the diary now, to try and conquer the BR management. Gl at the tables Kalie
    Posted by Batkin88
    Ta Katie...mat see you in the DTD forum...say hello
  • edited July 2012
    Hi everyone, time for another entry to the diary.

I ran pretty awful throughout the day, and gave up trying to sat into the main events, and decided to just buy in to them. I think I sat into the £33 one though, I just can't fully remember.

Anyway I played the DTD the main and the mini, and the £4k BH for a £110 buy in.

The deepstacks started pretty bad, I couldn't figure out the player UTG when I was on the button, he limped everyhand which ruined my game as he also called any raise lol. I ran deep in one, the 7:45 one but then DRUMAHAI destroyed my aces with QJ in a hand which would probably make the other chip leader, but looking over the hand history, I played it pretty bad.
    I managed to donk off all my chips to GREGHOGG in the take on tikay as he slowplayed a full house, which funnily enough I was trying to rep.

The main event then started and I started quick, immediatly doubled up with KK v AQ all in pre he missed, I got my first bounty. Unfortunately it was my last bounty of this tournament as I consistantly donked off chips to another limp caller. (I get tilted by them and I never believe a limp caller can have a hand) In fairness this player limped every hand so I had no idea what he had ever. One min he had 7 4 o/s then he has AQ suited and flopped a flush but check called all streets as I am too predictable.
    I ran well in the mini, I don't know where I finished but I got my buy in back via bounties which was nice. (I didn't cash, exit hand was KQ V JT all in pre)

Then finally the biggy! I don't usually buy straight in to these events but with alot of players in vegas, I felt the field may be a bit weaker giving better value. I was probably right in my thinking but there where still some very good players floating around. I am not 100% how many runners it had but it made its guarantee.

It all started pretty well tbh, I won the very first hand which is always nice! I had JT suited 3 way and flop comes 4 9 T and a player is calling me down with J9.
    I also had a micro tournament reg at my table, who I thought had left as haven't seen them in ages. (Crazykaron) a serial min casher! (Which in the long run is perfect with a few big ones thrown in). Anyway a hand got dealt and I had AA utg, I raise to 150 out of 5.6k, crazy karon flats in UTG+1 out of a 3k stack, then the cut off shoves for 2.9K I am loving life at the moment, bearing in mind it's £50 a head! I decide to flat as crazykaron has to be folding here. After a moment in the tank she reshoves (Didn't really like this) hands go over AA (me) QQ (c/o) A2 hearts (Miss Karon). I am now loving this, flop comes spade spade blank then the ace of spades and another spade. ERM I am quickly looking around for a apade in one of there hands but somehow my aces hold!! Up to 11.5 k and chip leader!
    At the third break I am 3rd in chips out of 16 but not far off the leader. (Top 5 paid)  I grind my way to yet another final table!!! However I did get very lucky and unlucky prior! Mr Solack I owe you an apology for rivering a set of tens v your queens. But just before FT I lost a massive flip with AK v TT, meaning I was going onto the FT as short stack with only 5 paid.

The table went on for ever, I thought I played a hand really well but again got slated in the chat box for it, but oh well! I burst the bubble getting it in bad with AJ v AK and hitting my jack. (The player moaning in chatbox was this one so didn't feel that bad, a teeny tiny bit, but not that bad) I then Went on to the last 4 and somehow the massive chipleader found himself in a pot 3 way all in with me sitting on the edge hoping chip leader wins and I ladder to 2nd. This happened his AK held against AQ and T9 meaning I was going HU.

His stack 120k mine 32k hmmmm.
    I absolutely battered him HU I was beating him like a pinata. Until I decided to trap him. (stacks 90k 60k ish) I limped with QQ to shove any low flop as he was calling light and flop came 7 8 J! Yes!!! I shove he snaps and turns over 9 T oh dear!! Insult to injury I rivered a queen.

Oh well another Chunk to the BR. Sorry for rattling on so much, hope you enjoyed yet another runner up! 3 days 4 final tables (excluding dyms :) and sats) 3 2nd places and one win! I am happy with this.

Good luck at the felt

Kalie x

BR £1,108.75

PROFIT £658.75
  • edited July 2012
    Nice result last night Kalie :)