You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Diary of an MTT player becoming a cash player :o

Comments

• edited July 2012
    sorry just busted in 26th decent cash tho
  • edited July 2012
    Brilliant read i will watch with interest . But defo keep out of your way on tables lol
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: Diary of an MTT player:
    Good start Batters, could of sworn it was Katie lol my bad :P  GL will you be updating about general life or just pokers ;) x
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    keep it PG 13 Young Gun
  • edited July 2012
    I think I'm in love
  • edited July 2012
    Running super deep in roller !   you play so good

Good luck !!!
  • edited July 2012
    Sorry no update yesterday, I was a little peeved with my roller exit so went to bed!
    I ran very deep n this and finished 8th in the cash, but once again I overplayed 99 against a hugely aggro player and ran into trouble. :(

Cash was around £290 I think so still a decent profit. (Easier to see it that way today)

I will be playing PL omaha today if anyone fancies it!!!
    If not I usually see a load of you in MTT's throughout the day!

Have a good day, and good luck.

Kalie
  • edited July 2012
    Unlucky in the roller Kalie.
    How does one so young become so good ?
    Books, Training videos of just natural ability?
    Cheers
    Mick
  • edited July 2012
    Was watching roller yesterday, well done a cahs is better than a loss well done.

Gary
  • edited July 2012
    Unlucky in the roller Kalie. How does one so young become so good ? Books, Training videos of just natural ability? Cheers Mick
    Posted by VespaPX
    I am on a heater so look better than I am :)

However yes I have read two books, but really improved by following players (Tom Dwan mainly) on you tube. Also following a player through a tournament is good, I use to follow Tommy D and try put him on hands as I felt it helped my game.
    I worked hard on my MTT game as my cash game is shocking!
  • edited July 2012
    Despite some peoples low opinions of me recently id like to offer an opinion :)

I think you really really need to control urges to punt directly into the big ones. Probably sounds tedious everyone harping on about stuff like this but from experience in the past it can turn sour fast. Just the mentality of losing the buyin of £110 can have negative effects on you that evening and even days later. Plus you can never play optimily, whoever it is. I know i couldn't. Great start for you though, keep it up, good luck.
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: Diary of an MTT player : I am on a heater so look better than I am :) However yes I have read two books, but really improved by following players (Tom Dwan mainly) on you tube. Also following a player through a tournament is good, I use to follow Tommy D and try put him on hands as I felt it helped my game. I worked hard on my MTT game as my cash game is shocking!
    Posted by Batkin88
    Spooky! I've followed TD as well.  I've also followed Supersnedd & Scotty77 all the way through a couple of tournies. I't been "educational" shall we say.  Keep up the good binking Kalie.
    P
  • edited July 2012
    Despite some peoples low opinions of me recently id like to offer an opinion :) I think you really really need to control urges to punt directly into the big ones. Probably sounds tedious everyone harping on about stuff like this but from experience in the past it can turn sour fast. Just the mentality of losing the buyin of £110 can have negative effects on you that evening and even days later. Plus you can never play optimily, whoever it is. I know i couldn't. Great start for you though, keep it up, good luck.
    Posted by hurst05
    Lol mine are not low of you!! I understand what you are saying but I do not get effected by the buy in tbh, I spent 2 years getting a decent BR which was withdrawn and sits comfortably in my account. TBH what I have on the site isn't my BR it's just the money I have on the site. I will try however to sat into more as I am just being lazy :)

Thanks

Quick update!! Played the L/T timed tourney... finished 1st £60 ROI 447% very nice
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: Diary of an MTT player : I am on a heater so look better than I am :) However yes I have read two books, but really improved by following players (Tom Dwan mainly) on you tube. Also following a player through a tournament is good, I use to follow Tommy D and try put him on hands as I felt it helped my game. I worked hard on my MTT game as my cash game is shocking!
    Posted by Batkin88
    Cheers Kalie , you now officially have a stalker ! (only kidding).
  • edited July 2012
    Another day off work today, seem to hage some sort of bug :( really not well. Jowever I don't think I can use it for an excuse of my earlier act of stupidity. I couldn't find my phone anywhere and it had no battery left so couldn't ring it, so I pondered around my humble abode retracing my steps. No luck, where on earth had I left it, I had it an hour ago as it ran out of battery whilst I was reading "The mental game of poker" on i books. I gave up and went to make a coffee, however the milk was on the side??? Why would I leave it out the fridge? It's unlike me, I am one who tends to want everything in it's place. Anyway I make myself a Tea as changed my mind on the coffee front and then go to put the milk in the fridge. Then sitting in the milk tray in the side of the fridge door is my phone, what a plum! How can you get them too mixed up.  I fell asleep in a few sats yesterday due to this so hopefully not today. Not in the main event tonight so will just play a few today and then a couple of late ones. See you at the tables!! And good luck to the lads in vegas, my money is on TONNYD and WAYNE but hope they all do well!!! Gl Kalie
    Posted by Batkin88

Hi Katie

Nice name by the way, same as my lovely daughter's.(Katherine but its 'Katie)

So a phone in the fridge eh. I left my cup of tea in it and walked into the lounge with the milk leaing it on the coffee table!! Without letting the cat out the bag, do you play different ranges for raising, calling, 3 betting etc for different stages of T's and what is the best book you've come across for MTT play, small stakes?
    PS I enjoyed Mental Game Of Poker book very much. You may like Vicky Coren's which is biographical but revolves round hands of a T she was in. Loved it.
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: Diary of an MTT player : Hi Katie Nice name by the way, same as my lovely daughter's.(Katherine but its 'Katie) So a phone in the fridge eh. I left my cup of tea in it and walked into the lounge with the milk leaing it on the coffee table!! Without letting the cat out the bag, do you play different ranges for raising, calling, 3 betting etc for different stages of T's and what is the best book you've come across for MTT play, small stakes? PS I enjoyed Mental Game Of Poker book very much. You may like Vicky Coren's which is biographical but revolves round hands of a T she was in. Loved it.
    Posted by profman15
    Sorry but my name is KaLie :) just spelt weird!

In regards to calling 3 bets and ranges, It's completely opponent dependent tbh cards don't really matter too much later on just posistion and showing strength! I tend to gamble a bit with sets in multi way pots late on (This is frowned upon) I don't call 3 bets with ace hands it either goes in or I fold. Nothing worse than getting a Ace high flop and you both have an ace. 

My fav book is the peter medelson one, but I have no idea what it is called. I will find out later

Kalie

• edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: Diary of an MTT player : Sorry but my name is KaLie :) just spelt weird! In regards to calling 3 bets and ranges, It's completely opponent dependent tbh cards don't really matter too much later on just posistion and showing strength! I tend to gamble a bit with sets in multi way pots late on (This is frowned upon) I don't call 3 bets with ace hands it either goes in or I fold. Nothing worse than getting a Ace high flop and you both have an ace.  My fav book is the peter medelson one, but I have no idea what it is called. I will find out later Kalie  
    Posted by Batkin88
    So Sorry Kalie but its still a nice name...(got away with it)
    Just had my eyes tested last week and you've decided for me about whether i get new ones now. I'd better start winning then ...cheers...sorry again
  • edited July 2012
    What a time to start a diary Kalie lol... just as you start crushing!

Long may it continue.

Paul

EDIT: Just realised that sounded really bad, like you weren't doing good before the diary lol. I know you've been a really solid players for ages, just nice to be able to post a few tasty results :p
  • edited July 2012
    A day off from Sky poker yesterday, No tournaments in the evening for me. But back on tonight and tomorrow to see if I can keep this hot run running!

I played a tourney on stars, $3 buy in 4008 runners and finished 14th so that was very good but the payout was abysmal! Less than $100 so not playing that again.

I will probably play the rest of the micro millions and then just the big sunday million and storm on a weekly basis, but play the rest of my poker on this site.

Wishing you all luck at the felt

Kalie
  • edited July 2012
    Despite some peoples low opinions of me recently id like to offer an opinion :) I think you really really need to control urges to punt directly into the big ones. Probably sounds tedious everyone harping on about stuff like this but from experience in the past it can turn sour fast. Just the mentality of losing the buyin of £110 can have negative effects on you that evening and even days later. Plus you can never play optimily, whoever it is. I know i couldn't. Great start for you though, keep it up, good luck.
    Posted by hurst05

Low opinon , what have you done lol!

Keep up the good work kalie, played in a tournament with you the other night very good player you should do very well!
  • edited July 2012
    Didn't play in the end last night, as not feeling too well and missed reg for mains so didn't bother with the rest.
    So no updates to give, hopefully I will remember tonight and take down the Primo.
  • edited July 2012
    Didn't play in the end last night, as not feeling too well and missed reg for mains so didn't bother with the rest. So no updates to give, hopefully I will remember tonight and take down the Primo.
    Posted by Batkin88
    hi Kalie,
    hope ur feeling better today.
    gl with primo laters.
    :)
    dev
  • edited July 2012
    Ok tonights tournaments:

Primo
    am currently trying to sat into big BH
    Mini primo

Sunday million
    Sunday storm

Will update hopefully about 4 in the morning after I take them all down ;)

Gl all

Kalie
  • edited July 2012
    Ok nothing great to report from last night!
    I had aces broke by 7 4 suited in the sunday million (I didn't play then horribly, he called a 4 bet with 74 and flop came out K 7 4 rainbow!!) That was a $215 buy in so goes to show, standard doesn't always increase with buy ins!

I played terrible in mini primo, kept chasing cards and just didnt play any hands well.
    Primo I got busted with a full house as ran into quads.... nice!
    Big BH I was a bit card dead but didn't play strong enough on what was quite a weak table and busted with 33 v 99 :( .
    I also played another BH but forgot to play it, and then ended up shoving every hand when I eventually realised it was running!
    Finally storm, I cashed for about $40 which was annoying as ran really well, but ran QQ into KJ and he flopped two kings, this was all in pre aswell for about 40 bigs!

Poker sould crushed.... onwards and upwards! (Good not I earnt about £25 at nl4 last night in forum cash game and another table... thanks curt :)...)

Gl all Kalie
  • edited July 2012
    Ok well here we go, I have two weeks off work, so going to work on my cash game!
    I  will still play the ME's but will be mainly focusing on cash for the next two weeks.

I have set aside £300 or my BR to start with and am going to be playing nl10 until I reach 22 buy ins for the level above, or go bust :)...(Which is more likely)

I will post hands in the clinic often, as this the weakest part of my game, and will take on board all constructive advice.

Gl all

Kalie
  • edited July 2012
    First session went pretty well;
    3 tables (One mastercash) all nl10!
    Played well on two and donked off £20 on MC table like a donk!

Finished with stacks of £42 and £27 on others tho so showed a profit for the hour or so I played.

Bankroll £328.23

Profit £28.23

Will play again later on!! Hopefullt will be able to step up to NL20 within a few days, need BR to show as £440 though so a long way to go!

Kalie
  • edited July 2012
    nice start Kalie,
    i'm sure you will do well.
    best wishes
    :)
    dev
  • edited July 2012
    First session went pretty well; 3 tables (One mastercash) all nl10! Played well on two and donked off £20 on MC table like a donk! Finished with stacks of £42 and £27 on others tho so showed a profit for the hour or so I played. Bankroll £328.23 Profit £28.23 Will play again later on!! Hopefullt will be able to step up to NL20 within a few days, need BR to show as £440 though so a long way to go! Kalie
    Posted by Batkin88
    Doing well Kalie, keep it up.

One thing I'd say about cash is pick the times when you play carefully. I'm not saying it's unbeatable in the day time, but if you play earlier you're gonna find it SO much more of a grind, and it's just SO hard to get value from your hands when all the tables are full of people where there opening range is like 22-JJ (100% for set value), AQ/AK and QQ+ and only continuing on good flops.

I'm sure you're good enough to beat it but like I said, it's more of a grind and no matter how good you are, your winrate will always be lower.

If you stick to playing like 9pm-10pm and later, there are just SO many people who will happily stack off/pay off a few bets against your sets etc.

In the day time, if you flop a set, the only way you're getting paid anything is the odd few bad players or if they've coolered you/you've coolered them.
  • edited July 2012
    I have found cash is good in the morning and just after lunch, then all the others regs wake up.

In the day just try to load up new tables and hope some randoms sit down, if it gets full of regs leave and start a new table.
  • edited July 2012
    Cash has started well, I sat at a few tables yesterday and tripled my buy ins on a couple double on the others.

Also quick update FT thews at 10 in 4th, should of won it but won all my flips getting to the FT so ran out of luck on the FT.
    If I carry on like this on cash tables, I will be moving up today to nl20 :)

Day 2,

BR £411.02

Profit £111.02

• edited July 2012
    Just checked out your MTT record, must say very impressive are you the female version of wacko90!

As for cash yeah Lambert is 100% correct about regs. Good time to play are early in the morning before 11am, then in the evening after the 6pm happy hour. Table selection is key, its pretty boring/soul destroying sitting at a table with 3/4 regs who are value towning weak players to death. NL40 is an oasis though, there are much less regs (with the exception of one mouthy self opinionated one that we discussed the other day) one of the reasons being points are a lot less than nl50. It is a good level to build up a decent points stash each month though. In these times of reduced edge rakeback is very important,  10k points is around 8 buyins at nl40 not to be sniffed at. I am already up to 10k this month, hoping to hit in excess of 15k possibly 20k which is the equivalent of final tabling in a sky ME.