You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Get in the Hole! 2017 Season!

Comments

• edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2013 Season! (Valero Texas Open) Year Profit: -31.19pts:
    Decided to complete my Masters picks this week, whilst I can still get decent prices. Will probably write up reasons on Masters week. Matt Kuchar 5pts e/w @ 33/1 Dustin Johnson 5pts e/w @ 40/1 Jason Dufner 5pts e/w @ 66/1 Got all 3 on PaddyPower paying 6 places. Will post Texas Open bets later today too.
    Posted by splashies
    I like Oosthuizen's chances! Coming back into form just in time!

As for this week, past tournament form shows Tringale, Hoffman and Jacobsen are the most consistant around here, but Jacobsen has gone quiet recently, so Hoffman and Tringale seem the best picks. This course demands accurate driving, and Kohles is 5th in accurate driving so should suit him perfectly this week.
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2013 Season! (Valero Texas Open) Year Profit: -31.19pts:
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2013 Season! (Valero Texas Open) Year Profit: -31.19pts : I like Oosthuizen's chances! Coming back into form just in time! As for this week, past tournament form shows Tringale, Hoffman and Jacobsen are the most consistant around here, but Jacobsen has gone quiet recently, so Hoffman and Tringale seem the best picks. This course demands accurate driving, and Kohles is 5th in accurate driving so should suit him perfectly this week.
    Posted by FlashFlush
    These 2 + Kuchar are my picks this week. Only b365 market up so far.

Freddy has had 3 weeks off and his previous 5 weeks read 7-3-9-25-16. So in decent nick.

Yes Louis I did consider, but didn't make my top 3.
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2013 Season! (Valero Texas Open) Year Profit: -31.19pts : These 2 + Kuchar are my picks this week. Only b365 market up so far. Freddy has had 3 weeks off and his previous 5 weeks read 7-3-9-25-16. So in decent nick. Yes Louis I did consider, but didn't make my top 3.
    Posted by splashies
    Ah, ok, that's why I hadn't seen him. I thought he had just dropped off the pace!

While I'm at it, I have been backing Louis for the Open as well! Hopefully will have a few quid on him by the time it gets there.
  • edited April 2013
    QUICK! Skybet have Peter Hanson @40/1! - For a player that hasn't played much this season but every tournament he has contended and some are WGC's then this could be printing money... McIlroy is well out of form, Schwartzel didn't set the world alight in his last start, so IMO Hanson should be 1 of the favourites for this
  • edited April 2013
    I think 40/1 is fairly decent, although no way should he be one of the favourites. Has he ever won in America?

My 3 picks for the Texas Open finalised.

Matt Kuchar 5pts win @ 14/1
    Freddy Jacobson 4pts e/w @ 25/1
    Cameron Tringale 4pts e/w @ 33/1
  • edited April 2013
    Ryder cup? :-)

Granted, but if you look at the tournaments he plays in America the vast majority of them are WGC's and Majors.
  • edited April 2013
    OK final picks... Haven't gone for Hoffman, so put your $ on him because he is bound to win.

Cameron Tringale - 33/1
    Peter Hanson - 40/1
    Ben Kohles - 100/1
  • edited April 2013
    I've taken the 100/1 on Justin Leonard ew. Will pick another couple of outsiders out before it starts. I fancy another upset this week. 

As for The Masters, I'm hoping Tiger gets pushed out to 4/1 before it starts.  Then I'll do him ew with P Power 1/4 odds 1st 6, bet to nothing then. I'll defo be backing Dustin Johnson, and at least one other in the w/o Woods market, so taking him out of the equation. 
  • edited April 2013
    With only one event this week, I've made 4 selections.

Jimmy Walker - 40/1, San Antonio resident, finished 3rd in this event on this course in 2010, three top 10's this season, some seriously good stats that should suit this course, very good ew value.

Jordan Spieth - 40/1, another Texan, Spieth is still only 19 years young, his amateur record is perhaps only second to Tiger in the modern game and in the handful of pro starts he has made, his record is vey impressive, so much so that he has gained 'special temporary member status' on the tour, a first tour win looks very close and once he does win, he won't be seen at 40/1 for a long time!

Brendan deJonge - 80/1, have to confess the 80/1 offered by one generous bookmaker swayed me as much as anything, he was on the short list thanks to four top 15's in 11 starts this season and high on the total driving and all round stats, so has the form and game to do well here.

James Driscoll - 150/1, best results generally come at windy venues, including a playoff defeat in this event and a tied 9th on this course, finished tied 9th at Pebble Beach this season.
  • edited April 2013

I've missed the best part of 3 weeks and have been reading through the posts and found the shared opinions on how we make our selections interesting, I was thinking of sharing my strategy anyway so hear goes....

I usually have my shortlist of current favourites and this changes slightly week from week, I tend to have a decent memory (not perfect) for players who have done well at the same courses in previous years and with certain events coming up I am looking at those players to see what shape their game is in.

Of course there is plenty of media out there to help with the analysis, it's not just course form I'm looking for but also regional form, in 'Europe' there is definitely a bunch of players that perform better than others at an Asian event, same applies on the American tour, east to west coast, weather conditions and even times of the year.

So when I'm done, the final factor and deciding factor for me is the value from the bookmakers, if a player on my short list is 20/1 or less I will probably leave him alone, which I realise might be foolish, I pick a player who I think will do well, the bookies agree he has a great chance so I ignore him!

On the other hand if my short-listed player is 40/1 + I am on in a flash, my thought process is that in a field of 156 players, I am always backing to finish top 5, the win is a bonus, so I will hardly ever back the likes of Woods, Mickleson, Mcllroy etc, these players at odds of 10/1 or less will usually give you a good run for your money, but even backing them week in week out doesn't ensure a profit, anything but in my humble opinion.

Instead I'm looking for a minimum 10/1 payback if my selection finishes fifth and if he wins it's a bonus and a healthy one at that.

It's a strategy that serves me quite well, I feel a bit of a fraud but in the weeks I've been away from the forum I won on two good priced winners, Chris Wood at 100/1 and Kiradech Aphibarnrat at 50/1 and last week I came very close with Mikko Ilonen's tied 2nd at 66/1.

Examples of my strategy working and not working, is with Brandt Snedeker, last season I backed him often, I was on him at 33/1 when he won the event where Kyle Stanley imploded with an 8 on the last hole, I was on Snedeker again at 250/1 for The Open and he finished top 5, I backed him in running at 40/1 in one of the play off events and he won, I backed him ante post for The Masters at 66/1, then came Pebble Beach an event and conditions I believed were ideal for Snedeker, he was the in form player but he was a measly (in my mind) 14/1 so I left him alone and of course he won.

Finally occasionally I might have a player or two that I think the bookies are just ignoring and offering super crazy value, step forward one Graham DeLaet, over the last 6 months I have had some decent wins on this guy, 250/1 placed, 40/1 win for top rest of the world player, 130/1 placed first round leader and 10/1 to finish top 20, his odds have shortened somewhat in recent weeks, but as long as he stay's close to 100/1 I will back him at various levels until he wins or stops playing at what I believe is at a level capable of winning, or the worst possible fate in that the bookies get hold of him and his 'value' tumbles before he gets that debut win.

So there you go, that's my strategy, I find golf betting great fun and a challenge and picking a 40/1 place (or bigger), gives me so much more satisfaction than backing a 10/1 shot.

Any comments constructive or otherwise are welcome.

Good Luck All!!!

Edit: Wow I can waffle, I didn't realise I had written quite so much!

• edited April 2013
    Nice read Darty and I agree with what you wrote. I understand what you mean about short prices and I do exactly the same. It's much for fun picking out a 40/1 and binking it than picking a 10/1 who is expected to win... Where's the fun in that?

I wouldn't say it's 'easy' when it comes to the PGA tour but everything seems to go to form a lot more than on the European tour. If you take past course form and current form you are only often left with 1 or 2 players, these guys generally make the top 10 that week.

In terms of the European tour, maybe I need to study the form a bit more?? I like to go with 'locals' on the European tour, maybe some unknown names but it's their home course or just home country as they seem to do a lot better. Really I should stop betting on the European and just do PGA, but that's no fun!
  • edited April 2013

Flash you got me thinking about the differences between the two tours.

I've been looking at my returns over the last nine months and I've had far more success on the European Tour than the PGA Tour, I did back Dustin Johnson at 14/1 for this seasons opener and I've had some decent ew returns plus a few savers on the 'in running' markets in PGA events.

In comparison over the same period, I've had 2 x 100/1 winners, an 80/1 winner and 2 x 50/1 winners on the European Tour plus quite a few placed at decent prices.

Perhaps I should start doubling up my European picks with your PGA Tour picks.

I can't work out why I should be having more success on the European Tour, given all the stats that are available for the PGA, perhaps it's my interpretation of those stats, or luck, or maybe a few more players priced at 25/1 and under win on the PGA Tour, maybe I need to lower my 'value' expectations on the PGA Tour?

• edited April 2013
    Dart I'll give u my two pennith to your follow up to War and Peace when I get 5 mins later on.... Lol..... But picking up on your last post, I think it's simply easier to pick both the winner and the value in the European Tour.

I don't think our back up tour as as strong as the pga's, so less coming through every year, so that defo makes it easier with selections.
  • edited April 2013
    A great read Dart. I too also used to only back big price outsiders and you're right, it's a much better feeling when they are in contention.

Nowadays I get more enjoyment from watching the tournaments when my picks are in contention, even if they are one of the faves. 

I've seen a few tipsters mention Kohles for this week, so hats off to you Flash for noticing him a few months back.
  • edited April 2013
    Valero 1st round leader

Matt every £5 e/w   80/1
  • edited April 2013

I've had one of those gut feelings we all get from time to time and it won't go away, this one is for Padraig Harrington!

I recall last year that he said and his results seemed to back him up that the tougher the challenge the easier he found it.

Well this venue has been one of the toughest none major events in recent years, plus the wind can blow, which we know Pardaig also enjoy's.

Last time out he was 6th in Malaysia, he could be accused of being inconsistent this year, but I think he remains a class act and like the fact he's under the radar somewhat this week and I like even more the 50/1 on offer, which ticks my 'value' box big style.

I've backed him outright and with an 8.00am tee time, I've backed Padraig ew also at 50/1 in the first round leader market, as he is well capable of getting off to a flier.

• edited April 2013
    I've taken the 100/1 on Justin Leonard ew. Will pick another couple of outsiders out before it starts. I fancy another upset this week.  As for The Masters, I'm hoping Tiger gets pushed out to 4/1 before it starts.  Then I'll do him ew with P Power 1/4 odds 1st 6, bet to nothing then. I'll defo be backing Dustin Johnson, and at least one other in the w/o Woods market, so taking him out of the equation. 
    Posted by joesman1
    My other outsider is Chris Stroud 125/1 ew. Gl guys
  • edited April 2013
    Great shout with Harrington.
  • edited April 2013
    I've had one of those gut feelings we all get from time to time and it won't go away, this one is for Padraig Harrington! I recall last year that he said and his results seemed to back him up that the tougher the challenge the easier he found it. Well this venue has been one of the toughest none major events in recent years, plus the wind can blow, which we know Pardaig also enjoy's. Last time out he was 6th in Malaysia, he could be accused of being inconsistent this year, but I think he remains a class act and like the fact he's under the radar somewhat this week and I like even more the 50/1 on offer, which ticks my 'value' box big style. I've backed him outright and with an 8.00am tee time, I've backed Padraig ew also at 50/1 in the first round leader market, as he is well capable of getting off to a flier.
    Posted by TheDart
    VWD Mr Dart. Great pick..... Hope he stays out in front for u mate.
  • edited April 2013
    Well I'm calling it a night as I've been seriously badbeated out of every poker tournament I entered and Harrington is now tied 2nd with a few more challengers including some bloke called Kohles threatening to deny me a place return.
  • edited April 2013
    Well I'm calling it a night as I've been seriously badbeated out of every poker tournament I entered and Harrington is now tied 2nd with a few more challengers including some bloke called Kohles threatening to deny me a place return.
    Posted by TheDart
    Well done mate. Good pick, just a bit of a shame there were 6 @-4 or better rather than 5!

Kohles did really well to stay at -3. I saw him birdie 2 (his 11th) to go -4, but then gave it away straight away on his 12th. After that I went to bed, but looked at his play by play this morning and he never looked like making another birdie, they were all long par saves, so very happy he has stayed up there and could actually be his 'bad' round out of the way as he clearly wasn't hitting his irons very well.
  • edited April 2013
    Yes, bugs me when your place money gets cut, still nice to start with an early profit.

I was very impressed with what I saw of Ben Kohles last night, he looked very confident and didn't look like he could miss on the greens, also showed good temperament.

His only bogey came just after I posted that he was going well, (I'm sure this board is jinxed).

Just checked his stats for day 1 - Driving 50%, GIR 38.89%, which are pretty awful stats, but strokes gained putting at 2.615 which is as good as the other stats are bad.

Like you say hopefully (for you) he's got the bad round out of the way, afterall I beleive he is normally very accurate (more than most) tee to green.

I so nearly backed him myself this week, kind of wish I had now as 100/1 looks good, if my selections weren't well placed I would take the 33/1 on Kohles now.

Actually I backed one other player pre-tournament, but am not going to name him at this stage, in order to protect him from any messageboard jinx's!

• edited April 2013
    Haven,t even watched any golf yet this season apart from the odd highlight but my m8 has given me a tip , which at the price i.d regret not punting on it as he,s only given me 1 name so heres my first bet at wat should be a gr8 4 days of Golf at Augusta (it was Molinari but i think the other 2 are solid bets which might not be far away and and are defiantely capable of winning it)

US Masters 2013 - Winner

Placed (matched) Order by Matched Date

Back (Bet For)

Odds

Stake

Profit

Francesco Molinari    260    £4.00   £1,036.00

Charl Schwartzel    32    £4.00   £124.00

Jason Dufner    90    £2.00   £178.00
    GL all - Surely someone on here has to win

• edited April 2013
    nice write up on good ol Padraig Dart and very good pick, glad one of my old faves is going so well. 

id every outright as well and couldnt be bothered going in again now oin anyone else so purely watching brief from now on in. how well is marcel siem going???!!!! 5 OVER on the first day, what a comeback well played that man. does he need to win this to confirm place in masters? would like to see him get there hed deserve it the weeks work hes put in. 

gonna be all over PETER HANSON for the masters OUTRIGHT, hugely overpriced the last i checked available at 100/1 in a place (the pplace who pays 6) 

interesting read from steve bamford who writes on the golf betting system which splashies put link up for on this thread. 15 of last 20 odd winners are either from or have set up shop in Florida, e.g Charl had digs here when he won, and only non american who has won it in recent memory who didnt reside in the states was Cabrera! the others have all been southern states , mainly texas and georgia. 

on hearing these trends it has slightly put me off VAN PELT, i never got round to having a few quid backwed each week on him, ill be having a nibble at 80/1 for first round leader on the back of his ultra low score on sunday last year (course record is it??) 

HANSON has moved his famiuly to florida for this seasons PGA tour and cannot be ignored at those odds, given how well he went here last year. 

HENRIK STENSON also who has come in to form in a big way, i'll be very interested in him for first round leader to put to rest the horrors of last years birthday nightmare when he hit a snowman on the 18th when looking like leader in clubhouse on the thursday 

Think ROSE and THE KEEGSTER must hold great chances also on this years form but to me they usually (Bradley in particular) get better the longer the weekend goes and will hopefully be much more backable odds come Saturday than the 20/1 and 28/1 available respectively the last i looked 

• edited April 2013
    I too am a Peter Hanson fan and I'll be backing him e/w for the Masters, but his odds are betwen 66/1 and 80/1. Not 100/1
  • edited April 2013
    i did say the last i checked and yes, the pplace (2 ps a clue) was where he was 100's only last week and i did see after i put this up he is now 80's top price across the board as well as 66/1 in places so have missed the boat somewhat but still very backable at 80/1 . 

any1 know how these twitter special bets work on skybet?? do u just tweet requesting a specially designed bet then they price it up for you and lay it? id like stenson and hanson top 5 finish incl ties. they go keegster and ricky 80/1 same bet so id be looking closer to 200 odd for my shout that would be lovely tbh maybe all the regulars on here should have a bash and see if skybet will lay them? the stenson/hanson top 5 one would be mine for sure 
  • edited April 2013
    I'm not sure TBH, try ringing them up, they said to me they don't take bets over the phone, but they did with me beause apparently I'm a valued customer... Maybe ask on the live chat and see what they say, although they are pretty useless.
  • edited April 2013
    its a novel idea from sky if they advertised it better how to ask for said bet to be priced up and laid to you!!!
  • edited April 2013

What a story a Marcel Siem win would make.

Won last week, people were saying he had done enough to get in the top 50 world rankings for qualification into The Masters, he eventually finished 51st missing out by 0.3 points.

Then traveled to the States on Monday thanks to a late sponsors invitation.

Has to win to get in The Masters and is now one off the lead with & to play, come on Marcel!

• edited April 2013
    they should let him in now regardless!!!!!! havent checked for everyones bets this week in detail but i too am officially cheerin on marcel!!!  fair dos to martin laird also to be fair