You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Get in the Hole! 2017 Season!

Comments

• edited November 2013
    FWIW .... I'm on Jamieson 50/1 and Fitchardt 40/1 both ew in Africa this week.... Just added Allan Versfeld @ 250/1. Noticed racing Post mentioned him and I backed 2/3 times last season. 
  • edited November 2013
    Hello again all,

I'm going to have a think and come up with my double over the next few days.

I haven't really got the bug just yet for weekly picks, this usually comes in January for me.

• edited November 2013
    Ok got my season money bet.

Manassero + Woods @ 181/1.

Matteo came ~ 10th last/this year. 80/1 paying 4 places looks a good bet.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2013 Season! Portugal Masters + Frys.com):
    Easy for me. Poulter 14/1 massive value. Didn't win a single tournie this year and still managed to finish 2nd. Gonna be more motivated than ever next year after his buddy Stenson winning, esp' as it's a Ryder Cup year too.  What do u fancy Flashy??
    Posted by joesman1
    I've barely watched any golf at all for about 2-3 months now, so it's hard to know. I caught the very end of the final event at the weekend, and saw Rory and Luke saying they felt their game was coming back to where it should be, so I'm tempted by them, but Rory + Tiger isn't exactly "out there". Although that's still around 11.5/1, it's not great for a season long bet. Luke is 25/1, so 64/1 double wouldn't be bad!

I was tempted by Sergio out at 33/1, but he had a decent year this year and still didn't feature, so not sure how good that would be...

Needs to be someone who is regular on the European tour but also has a real chance in majors, and that isn't many people!

I'm quiet at work AGAIN today, so I'll do some swatting up and try and come back with season long bets as well as the SA open this week (Think I already know who I'm going for there and I've not even looked to see who's playing ;)
  • edited November 2013
    OK swatting complete...

Season long bets - I wanted to do the w/o Woods betting, but couldn't decide on just 1, so ended up just going for Woods (6/4)! lol
    Doubled with Poulter (12/1) and Schwartzel (25/1). Both have consistently finished high up in the R2D each year. Schwartzel should be picking up a fair few quid these next few weeks while in SA. (depending on the amount of events he plays of course).

SA Open

James Kingston - 125/1 - Seems like a lot of water and trees this week, and he is a straight hitter, and loves playing in SA.

Darren Fichardt - 33/1 - Another of those who is straight off the tee, and always seems to play his best golf when on his home turf.

I've also done a saver £10 win only on Schwartzel 4/1 as I feel he is streaks ahead of the rest with ability and is going to get my season long bet off to the perfect start :-)

• edited November 2013
    Can you change the title to 2014 Season, (SA Open) (and World Cup of Golf) :)

I know Adam Scott is on fire and Jason Day is a top top player and the event is in their back yard, but I've become all patriotic this week and am backing England for the win (or 2nd, 3rd or 4th).

Royal Melbourne is a links type course and Englands Chris Wood and Danny Willett are two very accomplished links players, who should still be relatively fresh and playing with very little pressure this week.

England 33/1 ew first 4
    Chris Wood 66/1 ew first 4
    Danny Willett 80/1 ew first 4
  • edited November 2013
    Thanks to Schwartzel for breaking my heart on Sunday! Nipped out when he had a 3 shot lead, came back about 40 minutes later to find him 2 behind!

Loaded up my PP account today and found I had £33 in there, so I've decided to go for it this week. 5 selections, using all of that.

Garth Mulroy 28/1
    Alejandro Canizares 30/1
    Max Kieffer 50/1
    Johan Carlsson 50/1
    Ricardo Santos 100/1
  • edited November 2013

I've decided to go for a life changing £1 Lucky 15 and a £1 ew accumulator on the 4 golfing events around the world this week.

Life changing would be great, but I'll be quite happy with one winner and a profit.

Alfred Dunhill -                                               George Coetzee, 22/1
    Australian Open (without Scott, Day, Mcllroy) -   Matt Jones, 20/1
    Casio Open -                                                  Hideki Matsuyama - 8/1
    Indonesian Open -                                          Anirba Lahri - 28/1

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2014 Season! (Alfred Dunhill C'ship):
    I've decided to go for a life changing £1 Lucky 15 and a £1 ew accumulator on the 4 golfing events around the world this week. Life changing would be great, but I'll be quite happy with one winner and a profit. South African Open -                                       George Coetzee, 22/1 Australian Open (without Scott, Day, Mcllroy) -   Matt Jones, 20/1 Casio Open -                                                  Hideki Matsuyama - 8/1 Indonesian Open -                                          Anirba Lahri - 28/1
    Posted by TheDart
    Like your thinking here, Good luck!

I've copied you, but with a few different choices. I just used my £5 free bet and stuck it on doubles e/w (So only comes to like 30p a bet or something rubbish, and to stop me commiting suicide if it comes in I put a £1 e/w acca on...

Mulroy
    Fraser (w/o favs)
    Matsuyama
    Liang

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2014 Season! (Alfred Dunhill C'ship) : Like your thinking here, Good luck! I've copied you, but with a few different choices. I just used my £5 free bet and stuck it on doubles e/w (So only comes to like 30p a bet or something rubbish, and to stop me commiting suicide if it comes in I put a £1 e/w acca on... Mulroy Fraser (w/o favs) Matsuyama Liang
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Lol, good strategy to avoid the possibility of suicidal feelings :)

Good Luck Flash, it would be nice if at least one of our bets is still at the possible life changing stage come the weekend.

• edited November 2013
    George Coatzee 22/1 and Trevor Fisher Junior 80/1 both ew in S Africa. Gl chaps....... I've sat'd into the UKIPT six-max this w/e.... Hopefully I'm tied up til Mon' night lol.....
  • edited November 2013
    George Coatzee 22/1 and Trevor Fisher Junior 80/1 both ew in S Africa. Gl chaps....... I've sat'd into the UKIPT six-max this w/e.... Hopefully I'm tied up til Mon' night lol.....
    Posted by joesman1
    Best of luck mate. 

Keep us posted!
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2014 Season! (Alfred Dunhill C'ship) : Best of luck mate.  Keep us posted!
    Posted by FlashFlush
    PLUS ONE
  • edited November 2013
    Will do lads, and cheers. Just noticed The Thewster and Beaneh both busted today.....
  • edited November 2013
    Just watching the early scores come in, and I noticed an American in the field, so I thought I would have a look. Not seen him before, can't find anything on the PGA tour/Web.com tour (well for this year anyway) I didn't come across him in my pre-tournament research. His name is John Hahn (No not John Huh or James Hahn), he started off par birdie. When I looked for his results, he has just come from the qualifying school. He won his first qualifying phase with 3 rounds in the 60's and a total of -19, then came 5th in the 2nd phase and 7th in the final. He had 1 bad round in the final of 73, his others were 2 66's and a 68. In total, those 3 phases he was in the 60's 11 of those 12 rounds!

I've stuck £2 e/w on him as he was still 125/1 with Sky. No doubt he will fire in a double bogey now on the par 5 13th because I mhave mentioned him. Worth a look though I think.
  • edited November 2013
    Hope nobody took my advise! Just seen he has been DQ. No idea why... Cheating yanks ;-) lol
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2013 Season! Portugal Masters + Frys.com):
    FWIW .... I'm on Jamieson 50/1 and Fitchardt 40/1 both ew in Africa this week.... Just added Allan Versfeld @ 250/1. Noticed racing Post mentioned him and I backed 2/3 times last season. 
    Posted by joesman1
    Nice one Mr Versfeld...... One week too late!!!
  • edited December 2013
    I could do with a bit of advice this week. Although I do football accas and the golf each week, I'm not really a big gambler, and not really sure what the best way to go this week/this season.

It's all come from Darty's post last week I suppose, going for the Lucky15. Now is that a decent bet? Is it good to spread the bets, maybe pick up one win and rarely or never get the full returns, or am I better off doing what I did last year and putting decent research into the main tours?

This week is different to other weeks, the Nedbank challenge and Tiger's tourney both have very small fields, so a double is much more likely, although the standard is very good. Then there is also the Hong Kong open. A larger field, but a big gap in ability from the top 20 or so to the rest of the field.

I was thinking of going with the follow due to their potential and their odds.

Tiger's jobby - Stricker 16/1 - Spieth 20/1
    Nedbank  - Bjorn 28/1 - Grace 66/1
    Hong Kong - Oleson 20/1 - Pavan 40/1

Do I just stick to single bets? Should I go for the treble? The trouble with picking 2 players in each event, of course the cost goes up.... 

Anyway, all comments welcome.

EDIT: Much simpler terms, I just realised if I have 1 selection in each I can do a patent. I suppose what I'm really asking, am I better to just do a couple of £1 patents each week or put maybe a £5 bet on a few singles...
  • edited December 2013
    Why are some things never straight forward?

I decided to switch my line rental and broadband to get a better deal.

Good news you don't need an engineer to switch, said my welcome letter.

Friday 9.00am my phone line went dead and the broadband went with it.

My new provider assured me, my phone and broadband would be activated by midnight at the very latest.

Three days later an Openreach engineer finally arrives at my home and sorts out the problem, which was in a junction box or something similar situated a few hundred yards for my home.

Actually if I'm honest I quite enjoyed three days of no internet, for me or the family.
  • edited December 2013
    I wouldn't go as far as to say, this is advice Flash, more a sharing of thoughts...

I remember reading another thread a while back where I think it was Vagret that pointed out punters who back Lucky15's and similar are the bookies favourite type of customer as these bets rarely come up.

I believe the serious or professional punter would be mostly backing singles on their strong fancy's.

Take my life changing bet last week:

4 selections - £1 Lucky 15 + £1ew accumulator = £17 invested
    One winner at 8/1 = £17 returns
    One winner in 4 picks in the golf is pretty good I reckon, but I didn't make a profit

Now if I'd have had £4win on each pick and a £1win accumulator for the same £17 invested.
    My one winner at 8/1 would have given me £36 returns, for a £19 proift on the week.

So right there you can see why the Lucky15 wouldn't appeal or make sense to the serious punter.

Two of my other picks finished 3rd and 6th at 20/1 and 28/1 respectively, if either had won, my Lucky 15 would have been the best bet by far.

I was content with £19 less returns this week as I was pretty close to at least a three figure return, so it felt like the Lucky 15 was worth the 'risk'.

I might be stating the obvious but I guess it's down to what ticks your own boxes.

Last week I didn't have a strong fancy for any single player, so I was never going to 'lump on' anybody, the speculative aspect of the Lucky 15 gave me a bit of a buzz, which is great because I bet for entertainment.

For future weeks I think if I have a particular strong fancy in one event I'm going to be focusing on the single, though when both tours are back in full swing, I'm likely to be backing singles and doubles.

If I look at my results this year, my best wins have been as a result of place doubles and that's even when I've backed single winners at prices as big as 80/1 and 100/1.

I'm quite sure your biggest win and Splashies biggest wins this year, came from your Matt Kuchar winning double.

So to me I think it makes sense, to focus on singles and doubles most weeks and weight your bets according to your own hunches and interpretations of the markets.

For me the Lucky 15 and patents should be thrown in every now and then, but not the right type of bet to be having week in week out.

Good Luck with whatever you do and always remember to try and cover yourself against those 'if only' outcomes.

• edited December 2013
    Thanks for taking the time to reply mate. Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking, I think I'd prefer 'regular'(ish) small returns rather than losing all year to get one big win, as by then I expect I would of given up on the long bets and not have any money on it.

I may however do the patent this week for a bit of fun as the odds aren't fantastic due to small fields. I'll try and weight my bets so if any win I make a profit, but also don't bet too much... I'll work on that tomorrow night when I actually have some time!
  • edited December 2013
    Howdy lads. No good last week. Bust out just before close of play one Day1. As for golf this week, Schwartzel and Kaymer ew in Sun City. Olsen and Kruger ew in Hong Kong. And Tiger is the last leg of a footy/snooker/horse acca that's worth a good chunk. Gl with your picks
  • edited December 2013
    Well after concluding Lucky 15 bets are for mugs, here's my golf picks for this week:

£1 Lucky 15
    Charl Schwartzel - 6/1
    Kiradech Aphibarnrat - 10/1
    Marcus Fraser - 18/1
    Graeme Mcdowell - 12/1

Anirban Lahri - 50/1
    Peter Uilhein - 50/1
    ew singles and double

Just seen Peter Uilhein has drifted to 66/1 before he's hit a ball, so not to be beaten by the bookies, I have just added:

Peter Uilhein - 66/1
    Hunter Mahan - 25/1
    ew singles and double

Good Luck All!!!
  • edited December 2013
    Small win last week thanks to Mr Bjorn. Got to say, that was a cracking last round, Donaldson was playing well and the likes of Bjorn, Schwartzel, Garcia, Stenson all chasing him, he must of been so nervous. Great round of golf by Bjorn though, he never looked in trouble!
    Made a bit of an error, because I went for the w/o favourites market so only had him at 14/1 instead of 28/1. Oh well, better than nothing!

Time to study up on this week.
  • edited December 2013
    The Nelson Mandela championships start on Wednesday this week (tomorrow) so get your bets on now if you want to join the fun! :-)

I've gone for...

Jbe Kruger - 40/1
    Jaco Van Zyl - 22/1
    Romain Wattel - 25/1

All £5 e/w
  • edited December 2013
    Still recovering from Tiger's demise. 1/50 in running to clinch a lovely 50/1 acca. U couldn't make Johnson's chip in up!! Only consolation was that I had a bit of Johnson at 5/1 on the final morning as a cover bet.

This w/e I'm away in New York, I know I know, what a drag!! But I'm doing Flitchard 16/1 win only. Sergio 7/1 win only. And an ew double. Gl everyone. 
  • edited December 2013
    Hi all,

See my advice has been repeated. Nothing wrong in doubles , trebles and accumalators. Just dont do as the same stake as your singles.  
  • edited December 2013

At the moment I'm just backing 'local boy' Simon Yates in the Thailand Championship.

Given his undoubted talent I've always been fascinated by this guy's attitude to the professional golf world.

You won't find too much information about him out there on t'internet, which probably suits him just fine.

Most recent news and perfect example of his character, was earlier this year, after taking a couple of years off to do his houses up, he declared it was time to go back to work and earn some money, where first tournament back he tied 4th in Thailand alongside reigning champ Chris Wood and finishing well ahead of the likes of Padraig Harrington.

He's 13th on all the All time Asian money list and has competed against and beaten some of the games best despite a somewhat unorthodox attitude to pro golf.

I'm not suggesting he can just turn up and beat the likes of Stenson, Schwartzel and Rose, but if he's even close to his A game, he could well threaten top 10, then again he could jack it in after the first day!

Anyway I'm on Simon Yates at 40/1 for a top 10 finish and ew at 250/1 without the 4 favorites.

Good Luck All

• edited January 2014

Decided to start my 2014 golf betting off today.

Small field and probably a bit of a gamble and depend a lot on who's "in the mood" for this one. So went with:

Spieth @ 22/1
    Woodland @ 28/1
    Johnson @ 14/1 (£5 free bet on this one)

Only £1 ew on the first two as it's first bet of the season.

Gonna try and keep track on my profit and loss for the golf this year too which I'll try to update on here with each event. That can be my new years resolution lol

Wife would have preferred I quit smoking but hey ho 

So opening balance:

-£4 (£4 in play + £5 free bet).

• edited January 2014
    Oh and vwp darty on getting a final table jackpot yesterday!