You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Get in the Hole! 2017 Season!

Comments

• edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2015 Season!:
    Cheers Neil, Yes I was on Danny Willett, I was on ew at 25/1 pre tournament and 16/1 in running half way through day 1. I've sang his praises so many times this year, I was kind of embarrassed to post too strongly in favor of him again. Anyway I'll be remaining firmly in the Danny Willett camp next season, as I'm on him for the Race to Dubai, ew at 66/1 with out Rory and ew at 80/1 against the field.
    Posted by TheDart
    Has he covered De-Laets losses?? ..... Lol lol.... 
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2015 Season! : Has he covered De-Laets losses?? ..... Lol lol.... 
    Posted by joesman1
    Lol yes, I've probably broke even on my investments on my 2 favorite glass back golfers.

Just in case you are wandering, I haven't backed DeLaet for the 2014/15 PGA Tour Money List.

I'm waiting to hear that he's been working with putting guru Dave Stockton before I wade into the 150/1 ;)
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2015 Season! : Lol yes, I've probably broke even on my investments on my 2 favorite glass back golfers. Just in case you are wandering, I haven't backed DeLaet for the 2014/15 PGA Tour Money List. I'm waiting to hear that he's been working with putting guru Dave Stockton before I wade into the 150/1 ;)
    Posted by TheDart
    Sorry mate, but u left an open goal, and I wasn't going to turn it down..... Btw agree with your Willett stance on next year. When did u back him, as today's earnings count don't they? 
  • edited December 2014
    Great work Darty. Glad he's finally paying off :)
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2015 Season! : Sorry mate, but u left an open goal, and I wasn't going to turn it down..... Btw agree with your Willett stance on next year. When did u back him, as today's earnings count don't they? 
    Posted by joesman1
    Yes today's earnings count and I was very much aware of that.

I backed him at 66/1 without Rory on Thursday morning as I felt he could be in for a big week.

I took the 80/1 this morning before the 4th round.

I posted a couple of weeks ago Danny Willett looked to be driving the ball impressively well, in fact the way he played this week I thought it was very similar to the way Rory attacks a course.

I'm not suggesting for a minute he is in the same class as Rory, but the win this week sets him up nicely for next year, confidence and game can move to the next level and it will also ensure he gets into some of the WGC's.
  • edited December 2014
    Great work Darty. Glad he's finally paying off :)
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Thanks Flash, yes I've said it before this golf betting's all about timing, unfortunately for me I have tended to be a little ahead of my time this year, so it was nice to see the faith pay off before the end of the year.

Really looking forward to seeing if Danny Willett can kick on in 2015 now, just hope he doesn't strain his back lifting too many trophy's :)
  • edited December 2014
    By the way I said GIR stats were my strategy this week, well Willett finished tied 3rd for GIR along with 3rd placed Luke Donald and the GIR leader for the week was 2nd placed Ross Fisher.

My other pick Tim Clark finished the week ranked 2nd for GIR, but struggles on the greens meant he could only manage 7th

Think I might be following the GIR stats again in this event next year.
  • edited December 2014
    Spieth V Rory next year.....  Bring it on
  • edited December 2014
    Spieth V Rory next year.....  Bring it on
    Posted by joesman1
    I didn't see much of it, but following on from his win in Australia last week, to turn up in Florida a few days later and shoot 26 under par for the week, lapping the field by 10 shots is mightily impressive.

It should be an interesting 2015, as you say, bring it on!
  • edited December 2014
    Very interested to see how they price up this week. Schwartzel 'owns' this event, and I expect Ousthuisen to be short too... Prob 5/1 and 8/1 ish.... But wow... Schwartzel was all over the place at the weekend, military golf. Left, right, left, right... And as for Oushuizen, he couldn't putt if his life depended on it. I'm not sure Willett is the type to go back to back, as he likes to party... So I'm thinking plenty of value outside the top 3.... Might be tempted by Coatzee, as he didn't play too badly, just kept missing the greens on the wrong side in Sun City. Hope he's 20/1 +. Let's wait and see the prices....
  • edited December 2014
    Looked at the stat history for this competition, GIR % and Putts per round seemed to be the favoured stats to have. 

Players who topped that mixed with current form who are in the field are George Coetzee, Adilson Da Silva and Henie Otto... Any comments on those 3?
  • edited December 2014
    Just the seen the odds are starting to filter through. I think 20/1 for George is too short as a serial bottler. Otto loves playing in SA and has had some competitive results on tour lately. Adilson has come out at 100/1, so maybe a top 10 place is more likely.

Anyway, that's my take on them...
  • edited December 2014
    Can't argue with that early analysis from Joesman, initial thoughts are its difficult to get on anyone this week with a great deal of confidence.

A follow up win and the ranking points that come with it could be enough for Danny Willett to make the top Worlds Top 50 and lock up a spot in The Masters, so I reckon he will have resisted any major celebrations. Still a big ask to win 2 weeks on the run though.

In addition to the names, you've got the Sunshine Tour regulars to consider and a lot of newbies from the Challenge Tour playing their first event with the big boys.

Like Neil, I tend to price up a few of my own fancies before the bookies do and I had Benjamin Herbert priced at around 40/1, hoping to find an early 50/1.

So given he's a best priced 80/1, I've decided to get my first bet on early.

There cannot be many 'hotter' golfers than Benjamin Herbet right now, he's graduated from the Challenge Tour, with 3 wins, a second and a third from his last 8 starts on the Challenge Tour, including a 5 shot victory last month at the Challenge Tours Grand Final in Dubai.

The bookies are not daft and there has to be reason for caution with 80/1 shots, in Herbet's case I guess it's the fact that he also won 3 times on the Challenge Tour in 2011 and then did basically next to nothing on the main tour in 2012 and continued to struggle back on the Challenge Tour in 2013.

But he's still only 27, he's been working with a new coach for the last 18 months, he declares his game is now much better than in 2011/12, he's full of confidence and will surely be able to learn from his past experiences on the main tour.

Benjamin Herbet - ew, 80/1 outright and 55/1 without Schwartzel, Osthuizen and Willett.

• edited December 2014
    Just the seen the odds are starting to filter through. I think 20/1 for George is too short as a serial bottler. Otto loves playing in SA and has had some competitive results on tour lately. Adilson has come out at 100/1, so maybe a top 10 place is more likely. Anyway, that's my take on them...
    Posted by FlashFlush
    George Coetzee could win this week, but is so frustrating and expensive to follow.

I think 20/1 is probably about right, though I'll be looking for value elsewhere.

Saying that if Neil backs him, I'd consider following suit as I know he picked him when he won earlier this year.

I like Hennie Otto, for the reasons you say, plus his form around here is not too shabby, tied 7th in 2011 and was tied 6th after 3 rounds last year, only for a final round 77 to send him down the leaderboard.

First thing that springs to mind about Adilson da Silva is that you've backed him before and that you picked up that he had form in South Africa.

I can't say I've learnt anything else about Mr. da Silva, sorry.
  • edited December 2014
    I've taken the 20/1 with The Power on Georgie Boy (I'm on restricted stakes with Corals so couldn't take their 22/1). Taken the standout 40/1 with SJ on Sterne, both ew.... I'll do a couple of 'rags' after I've had a good look through them. 

Edit:- I've added my 'rags'.... Sorry Darty, I've added Mr Herbert this morning ew @ 100/1. And finally Gary Stal ew @ 80/1... Scott's 15/8 in Australia might look big come Sunday, but not for me, so leaving that alone. Shark shoutout is just a gimmick, but I'd plump for Reed/Snedeker if pushed.... Might do a couple of  local 'rags' in Thialand. 
  • edited December 2014

No restrictions for me with Corals, so I've decided to join the party and lumped on George Coetzee at 22/1 and an ew double with Thailand's Kiradech Aphibarnrat at 25/1 in the Thailand Golf Championship.

My best fancied 'rag' in Thailand is Hiroshi Iwata at 66/1.

Recently acknowledged by GMAC to be one of the great young talents from Japan, until someone pointed out he was 33 years old and been playing on the Japanese tour for the last 10 years.

Anyway this is the guy that finished one shot out of the play off at the recent WGC that Bubba won.

He got into the WGC after finally winning his first event in Japan as recently as September.

He looks to be a bit of a late bloomer and man in form.

Since the WGC he has said he is really looking forward to The Thailand Golf Championship and is looking for another strong performance, in fact with reference to losing out to Bubba, he made the bold statement of 'I promise revenge in Thailand'!

I've doubled Iwata with Garth Mulroy at 66/1, he's won the event before and has also finished 3rd.

He seems to have had a quiet season, with the highlight being a qualification into the US Open and a respectable 40th place finish.

Could go well this week and 66/1 looks too big.

• edited December 2014
    Bad news on the golf front at Leopard Creek Darty... The Racing Post have tipped Georgie Boy. 
  • edited December 2014
    Bad news on the golf front at Leopard Creek Darty... The Racing Post have tipped Georgie Boy. 
    Posted by joesman1
    With the pro's money and our money on him, it's not looking good for George!

• edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2015 Season! : With the pro's money and our money on him, it's not looking good for George!
    Posted by TheDart
    U mean with the pro's money and The Racing Post money???
  • edited December 2014
    Chapchai Nirat ew @ 801 is the unlucky man in Thailand. I've also had a brain f@rt and done 3 ew doubles and an ew treble on:- Coatzee 20/1 Weisberger 30/1 and Reed/Snedeker 11/2

Edit:-  Gets worse, just seen Georgie Boy is 28/1 for FRL with Skybet..... Reeled me in.
  • edited December 2014
    Got another £10 in play free bet offer but was a bit gutted to see Grace at 1/2 as i,ve backed him in last 2 or 3 tournies so gone for a bit more value from somoene else showing a bit of form  at 8/1

Outright - Alfred Dunhill ChampionshipWillett, Danny 8/1OpenO£10.00
  • edited December 2014
    Anyone who's on Grace for his two - ball is looking good as they stand on the 18th
  • edited December 2014
    Anyone who's on Grace for his two - ball is looking good as they stand on the 18th
    Posted by joesman1
    Didn't see the golf today, but just checked the scorecards, wow there's having a mare and there's having a MARE!

6 dropped shots for Willett over the last 3 holes as well, which was costly in his / my quest for the R2D next year!

Hebert was looking promising for a while but needed a big weekend.

I think that's it until the new year, time to reflect and regroup for 2015.

I'm thinking of keeping a points staking record for my picks next year, to try and give myself a bit of extra focus, though that could also mean I give up betting on golf by The Masters.

• edited December 2014
    I've too much time on my hands over Xmas/New Year.... I'm even playing a bit of of poker!!!

Anyways, not content throwing good money away on ante-post bets for cheltanham, I thought I'd throw more away over the coming months having identified a golfer I fancy for next years Open.

I was talking to Darty a few months ago, saying I was thinking of backing Rory for next years Open on a weekly basis, so come the event, I had a shed load on ew, knowing a place gets me my money back. Bearing in mind it's at St Andrews, his fav course. A course on other than his infamous Fri afternoon 80 when blown away, where he's never shot in the 70's. But do I just want my money back if someone gets the on the right side of the draw, and Rory's on the bad side again? Or if someone has the 'week of his life'? No is the simple answer.

Enter Victor Dubuisson. In last years Dunhill where 36 holes are contested on the said St Andrews course, he hit a better hole 56, with no bogeys. If u hit it straight at St Andrews (as Victor so does), it's hard to find trouble. He's great round the green (you need to be on this course with its undulations). And finally not scared of the winning post.

At 66/1, so 15.25/1 to be placed, that's a far better value bet in my opinion, than Rory at 4/1, or 1/1 to be placed. 

So like my (ok failed) Grand National punt, I'm starting to back Victor each week starting today, until his price drops to 33/1, the price I reckon he will be come tee off time. 

First bet £100 ew placed today (I've poker funds bursting a hole in my pocket).

Running total: £100 ew @ 66/1 
  • edited December 2014
    I've too much time on my hands over Xmas/New Year.... I'm even playing a bit of of poker!!! Anyways, not content throwing good money away on ante-post bets for cheltanham, I thought I'd throw more away over the coming months having identified a golfer I fancy for next years Open. I was talking to Darty a few months ago, saying I was thinking of backing Rory for next years Open on a weekly basis, so come the event, I had a shed load on ew, knowing a place gets me my money back. Bearing in mind it's at St Andrews, his fav course. A course on other than his infamous Fri afternoon 80 when blown away, where he's never shot in the 70's. But do I just want my money back if someone gets the on the right side of the draw, and Rory's on the bad side again? Or if someone has the 'week of his life'? No is the simple answer. Enter Victor Dubuisson. In last years Dunhill where 36 holes are contested on the said St Andrews course, he hit a better hole 56, with no bogeys. If u hit it straight at St Andrews (as Victor so does), it's hard to find trouble. He's great round the green (you need to be on this course with its undulations). And finally not scared of the winning post. At 66/1, so 15.25/1 to be placed, that's a far better value bet in my opinion, than Rory at 4/1, or 1/1 to be placed.  So like my (ok failed) Grand National punt, I'm starting to back Victor each week starting today, until his price drops to 33/1, the price I reckon he will be come tee off time.  First bet £100 ew placed today (I've poker funds bursting a hole in my pocket). Running total: £100 ew @ 66/1 
    Posted by joesman1

Edit:- my maths was out, it's 16.5/1 to be placed. 

• edited December 2014
    I know Mr Dart has similar thoughts on a different golfer (and has already put his money where his mouth is), and I'm sure he'll add to this. 
  • edited December 2014
    I know The Racing Post golf correspondant is a big fan of Victor's too, and he'll be fully aware of his course form. So I fully expect him to tip him up come the event. So his price if anything will contract again the day before it starts. (I'm tipping he will also tip Kaymer too). 
  • edited December 2014

Neil best of luck with Victor, I think at this stage he's definitely one for the short list.

He seemed to be a tad inconsistent in 2014, though I think for a while he was playing with a niggling injury or two?

If he is resting well and gets off to a good start in 2015, that 66/1 will soon be gone.

As you alluded to, I started my own investment plan for the Open on a pick of my own, complimenting my investments on Danny Willett for the R2D I have also been backing Danny Willett to win The Open.

Not quite in the same league as SkyPokers no.1 punter, but over a period of weeks, I managed to dribble and splutter a total of £43 ew on Danny Willett to win The Open 2015 at odds of 200/1.

For some time I have had what could be termed as a betting 'softspot' for Danny Willett and given his recent big win I am mindful that I could easily get carried away in believing he is now the world class golfer I believed he had the potential to become.

Though some key facts remain, in the last 2 months Danny Willett has reached new personal highs, for the first time he starts a new season, already qualified for The Masters and The Open.

He is widely acknowledged to be an accomplished links player, he got to world number one in the amateur game, playing a lot of links golf, he already has a 2nd and 5th in the Dunhill Links and at 3 figure odds he really looks overpriced and excellent ew value for The Open.

If he continues at the levels he finished 2014 in and manages another win I fully expect him to be priced at around 33/1 - 40/1 for The Open.

• edited December 2014
    Neil best of luck with Victor, I think at this stage he's definitely one for the short list. He seemed to be a tad inconsistent in 2014, though I think for a while he was playing with a niggling injury or two? If he is resting well and gets off to a good start in 2015, that 66/1 will soon be gone. As you alluded to, I started my own investment plan for the Open on a pick of my own, complimenting my investments on Danny Willett for the R2D I have also been backing Danny Willett to win The Open. Not quite in the same league as SkyPokers no.1 punter, but over a period of weeks, I managed to dribble and splutter a total of £43 ew on Danny Willett to win The Open 2015 at odds of 200/1. For some time I have had what could be termed as a betting 'softspot' for Danny Willett and given his recent big win I am mindful that I could easily get carried away in believing he is now the world class golfer I believed he had the potential to become. Though some key facts remain, in the last 2 months Danny Willett has reached new personal highs, for the first time he starts a new season, already qualified for The Masters and The Open. He is widely acknowledged to be an accomplished links player, he got to world number one in the amateur game, playing a lot of links golf, he already has a 2nd and 5th in the Dunhill Links and at 3 figure odds he really looks overpriced and excellent ew value for The Open. If he continues at the levels he finished 2014 in and manages another win I fully expect him to be priced at around 33/1 - 40/1 for The Open.
    Posted by TheDart

Good luck fella. I'd suggest swapping 10%, but u would only let me down, look good for 71 holes then throw it all away, bit like my poker last night.

• edited December 2014
    Congrats on the UKOPS bink the other night Neil!