You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Get in the Hole! 2017 Season!

Comments

• edited February 2015
    Plenty of research to be done this week. Not very familiar with quite a few of the runners this week! I've tried to go through them all and pick out the ones that legitimately have a chance, but to be honest, I think a lot of them would need 4 rounds of their life to keep up with some of the European Tour boys. 

Jaidee - 16/1 - I'm a fan of Jaidee's. He seems to be super consistent, he just struggles to break through into those top few places. This is his affiliated club, and he has had some respectable finishes in recent weeks so I think 16/1 is value.

Canizares 33/1 - 2 top 10's and a T12 in his last 4 starts in much better fields. As long as he isn't feeling burnt out from playing every week he is more than capable of going the extra few places this week.

S.S.P Chowrasia - 70/1 - 10th in Malaysia last week despite starting with a +4 round of 76! Followed it up with a 67 and 2 68's. Definitely one of the better asian tour players and has won twice on the European tour before.
  • edited February 2015
    Bad week on here for me last week. Got out of jail by backing Day 9 and 10/1 win and ew pre 3rd round. Lucky winner in the end, Holmes giving it away in regulation play not going for the green in two on the 18th. 

As for this week, v weak field, and I'm not liking any of the favs. Noren, still rusty and can't guarantee 4 decent rounds coming back from injury. Warren needs blinkers on come the final round if in contention.  Jaidee not for me. Lahiri back to back? No. Grillo's sixth tourney on the trot, burn out. Uilhlein, maybe, might yet add him. But for now it's Marcus Fraser ew @ 50/1. His best results come in weaker fields in Asia, nearly beat Westwood in Asia back end of last year. And I'm guesting in Baldwin's fan club for one week only. Just think 150/1 is very big in this field. He's played steady in much stronger fields in The Desert Swing.

As for USA, I think there's been an over reaction to Spieths poor 2 rounds last week. He's defo the worlds no 2 player atm in my eyes, so how he can be 3rd fav here is not right imo. Spieth ew 14/1. No doubles atm this week as my euro picks more speculative than strong. 

Gl everyone. 

Edit:- I tried, honest!!! But failed....

Added Uilhlien ew 25/1 .... And worse still...... Done Spieth in ew doubles with Uilhlien...Fraser...and Baldwin....
  • edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2015 Season! (Farmers Open + Malaysian Open):
    Just seen a certain Jerome Meakin finished 33rd in the weekly FR2D due to having Lahiri as his captain... Why the hell was he not 1 of your bets?!?
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Well spotted Flash and very good question!

Stupid logic behind the reasoning though it sort of worked.

Since the European Tour introduced the star player option at the beginning of 2014, I always opted for the player who was my main bet, or occasionally a short priced favorite, not once has my star player won.

Sick of the double whammy failure, when my main bet and star player fail, last week was the first time ever I spread my options and did not back my star player pre tournament.

Lahri was 66/1 before the event started, care to go back 12 months on this thread and you will see I put Lahri up as one of my 3 picks last year.

You'll also find him in my selections for other events, as I've been a Lahri fan for a while.

Anyway it sorted of ended up OK as I did back him in running after the third round at a healthy 28/1.

Of course I wished I'd put him as one of my 3 picks, as I'd now be showing a decent profit on the European Tour, but then again if I had selected Lahri as one of my main picks, would he have won? ;)
  • edited February 2015

Oh and Flash, I noticed a certain FlashFlush currently sitting in 25th position on the overall leaderboard.

Now that is a decent run of form on golfing selections.

Hope you keep it going as it gives me something to aim for :)

Good Luck this week and for the rest of the season.

• edited February 2015
    Now I naturally agree that Matthew Baldwin at 150/1 is overpriced.

He's really is due a win and with close buddy Paul Waring having a big week last week, it could help spur him on.

Two negatives for me, (but won't stop me backing him at 150/1), Baldwin has virtually zero form in South East Asia, he hasn't played in the region that much, but I'm not sure he's made a cut.

Second concern is that with his game in such good shape, he appears to be getting very frustrated on the greens, here was his reaction after missing the cut in Malaysia last week.......

Good at hitting the hand break, then switching to reverse gear at the moment... Tee to green was brilliant today. The rest?...... Sh*te

I love his honest appraisal :)
  • edited February 2015
    I agree with you that Lahiri was no shock winner last week. I remember you backing him before and I think I may have backed him also, possibly the same event. He didn't have great form going into the week which is why I dodged him, but I did think pre-tournament that 66/1 could be generous.

This fantasy R2D is very interesting for me now. I'm finding I'm watching the team players rather than my actual bets and forgetting who I even have money on! haha.

P.S ... Splashies, hope the family are doing well. Come back, we miss you! :)
  • edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2015 Season! (AT&T Pebble + Thailand Classic):
    Bad week on here for me last week. Got out of jail by backing Day 9 and 10/1 win and ew pre 3rd round. Lucky winner in the end, Holmes giving it away in regulation play not going for the green in two on the 18th.  As for this week, v weak field, and I'm not liking any of the favs. Noren, still rusty and can't guarantee 4 decent rounds coming back from injury. Warren needs blinkers on come the final round if in contention.  Jaidee not for me. Lahiri back to back? No. Grillo's sixth tourney on the trot, burn out. Uilhlein, maybe, might yet add him. But for now it's Marcus Fraser ew @ 50/1. His best results come in weaker fields in Asia, nearly beat Westwood in Asia back end of last year. And I'm guesting in Baldwin's fan club for one week only. Just think 150/1 is very big in this field. He's played steady in much stronger fields in The Desert Swing. As for USA, I think there's been an over reaction to Spieths poor 2 rounds last week. He's defo the worlds no 2 player atm in my eyes, so how he can be 3rd fav here is not right imo. Spieth ew 14/1. No doubles atm this week as my euro picks more speculative than strong.  Gl everyone. 
    Posted by joesman1
    I've gone with your wise words this week and just back Speith but I HAVE doubled him up with my Euro picks.
  • edited February 2015
    Thailand Classic

Normally in this type of event you find a handful of world class players who the sponsors have enticed, followed by a collection of European Tour regulars, the cream of Asian golf and the not so creamy Asian golfers.

With the absence of any big names, Anibarn Lahri is left as the highest ranked player at 37 in the world and he's only been  in the top 50 for 2 days!

So plenty of locals to pick from, Prom Meesawat is from Hua Hin, hot Thai prospect Jazz Janewattananond lives a 5 minute walk from the course, Thaworn Wirachant has won here on the Asian Tour, of course there is Thongchai and Aphibarnrat and the Swedes who base themselves here including Rikard Karlberg who has 2 top 10's here on the Asian Tour.

All will have high hopes and plenty of attention this week and I'd been leading towards Meesawat and Janewattananond, I'll be keeping an eye of them in running and may even have a look at them for FRL.

Putting Matthew Baldwin to one side, as for me this week at 150/1, he falls into the 'can't risk not backing him' category, my main but speculative selections are:

SSP Chawrasia - 1.5 points ew 80/1, agree with Flash's summary above....10th in Malaysia last week despite starting with a +4 round of 76! Followed it up with a 67 and 2 68's. Definitely one of the better Asian tour players and has won twice on the European tour before.

I'll add that he's played here twice in the Asian Tour and has tow top 20's and a bit of course knowledge.

Wen Chong Liang - 1 point ew 100/1, maybe not the name on the tip of everyone's tongue, but he is China's number one player.

He's a multiple winner on the Asian Tours including the Singapore Masters which was a co-sanctioned European Tour event.

Last week was his first event of the year and he finished a tidy 32nd, so cobwebs blown away and ready to progress this week.

Johan Edfors - 1.0 point ew 100/1, another Swede to be attached to this course and has a top 10 here on the Asian Tour, won a challenge tour event a few months ago, but poor to erratic form since.

The lack of rough here could suit 'bombers' and the course knowledge will help.

Mark Foster 0.5 points ew 175/1, some of his best results in recent years have come in South East Asia.

When he has a good week he's well capable of a top 5 finish and in this field 175/1 looks very generous.

European Tour Starting Balance = -45 points
    Returns from Malaysian Open = + 3.5 points
    Thailand Classic Investment = 8 points
    Balance Carried Forward = -49.5 points
  • edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2015 Season! (AT&T Pebble + Thailand Classic):
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2015 Season! (AT&T Pebble + Thailand Classic) : I've gone with your wise words this week and just back Speith but I HAVE doubled him up with my Euro picks.
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Interesting that his price is starting to contract. So I'm guessing either Flash's total bank roll has been dropped on his shoulders, or the word is out that The Racing Post is tipping him up in the morning. 
  • edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2015 Season! (AT&T Pebble + Thailand Classic) : Interesting that his price is starting to contract. So I'm guessing either Flash's total bank roll has been dropped on his shoulders, or the word is out that The Racing Post is tipping him up in the morning. 
    Posted by joesman1
    Correct! £10 e/w
  • edited February 2015
    AT & T Pebble

it turns out that I haven't included a single American in this event, which may not be wise, but hey I like the foreigners this week so what can I do?

Shane Lowry - 1,5 points ew 50/1, a tied 7th last week at The Farmers was eye catching and he should relish the courses played this week.

Ian Poulter - 1.5 points ew 66/1, he's had some decent results over the last couple of months, tied 19th last week wasn't too bad, I fancy Poulter could be pushing for his first PGA Tour win sooner rather than later and I'd imagine he will enjoy conditions this week.

Seung Yul Noh, 1 point ew 100/1, tied 19th last year in his second appearance, another player I think will be suited to these courses and conditions and at 100/1 is worth a shot.

Greg Owen 0.5points ew 200/1, some of his best finishes on the PGA Tour have been here with a 3rd, 4th and 9th place finish. Won his first event on US soil last year. Another player who fits the right profile and with the added bonus of very tasty 3 figure odds.

PGA Tour Starting Balance this week = - 31 Points
    AT & T Pebble Investment = 9 Points 
    Balance Carried Forwards = -40 Points
  • edited February 2015
    hi guys pretty new to giving tips on the golf but av being doing pretty good of late had martin laird to be in top twenty last week at 5/2 which a thot was a great bet and was unlucky not to be in top 5 nvr mind al give you my bets for this wek at peeble beach am going for nick watney who looks is if hes cuming back to form after finishing t7 last week hes had two top tens at peeble beach before and Jordan spieth who had a bad tournament last week hopefully it was only a blip he was tied 6th last year so a dnt think hel be to far away his driving accuracy is over56% an GIR is 65.5% in Thailand am goig for prom messawat he,s the second ranked thai golfer in the order of merit an finished 3rd here last year peter uihlien is another who I like hes his driving accuracy has improved a lot an his GIR is up at 73% so ill take a chance on him who I expect a lot from him this year                                                                                                                                                                                   
  • edited February 2015
    Jordan spieth 12/1 2pts e/w n watney 1pt e/w 30/1 peter uhilein 20/1 1pt e/w prom meesawat 40/1 1pt e/w good luck with ure bets guys
  • edited February 2015
    My bets this week:

Thailand

Stabbing in the dark a little here

Bjorn 35/1 no form to speak of but I just love the big grumpy sob

Canizares 30/1 

Frls - rock and marksaeng

AT&T

Watney 30/1 some form here and decent finish last week
    Mahan 28/1 can't remember exactly why I picked him (did it at lunch) but must have seen something in his previous results to pick him.

Big question mark, for me, if these two are winner material or not.

Frls 

Monteray - Palmer and furyk
    Pebble - Holmes and blixt
    Douglass - Langley and bohn

Fun trebles and doubles (£4 total) on- poulter, Palmer, blixt, Holmes, Langley and bohn

Gl all

• edited February 2015
    I agree with you that Lahiri was no shock winner last week. I remember you backing him before and I think I may have backed him also, possibly the same event. He didn't have great form going into the week which is why I dodged him, but I did think pre-tournament that 66/1 could be generous. This fantasy R2D is very interesting for me now. I'm finding I'm watching the team players rather than my actual bets and forgetting who I even have money on! haha. P.S ... Splashies, hope the family are doing well. Come back, we miss you! :)
    Posted by FlashFlush
    The family are doing well thanks, Anna will be 5 months old on Monday, how time flies!

I can't see myself making a comeback just yet as I never really get to watch the golf anymore. Will probably pop in for the majors, but I'll be stealing the tips off here as I'm so out of the loop.

Good luck to everyone.
  • edited February 2015
    Think my Fantasy R2D team will be speedily moving in the wrong direction this week! Every "gamble" i've made by leaving popular out of form players from my team have decided to tear the course up on day1! Fatty Barn Rat, Bjorn, Jimenez to name a few... Also did have Paratore in my team and took him out. He decided to go -8 through 15. I put a sneaky £5 e/w on him at 14/1 for him to then go bogey, double bogey on the next 2 holes. 

Is it next week yet?
  • edited February 2015
    Think my Fantasy R2D team will be speedily moving in the wrong direction this week! Every "gamble" i've made by leaving popular out of form players from my team have decided to tear the course up on day1! Fatty Barn Rat, Bjorn, Jimenez to name a few... Also did have Paratore in my team and took him out. He decided to go -8 through 15. I put a sneaky £5 e/w on him at 14/1 for him to then go bogey, double bogey on the next 2 holes.  Is it next week yet?
    Posted by FlashFlush

Someone must have mistakenly told Fatty Barn Rat u had backed him too as he stood on the 18th tee. 
  • edited February 2015
    My bets this week: Thailand Stabbing in the dark a little here Bjorn 35/1 no form to speak of but I just love the big grumpy sob Canizares 30/1  Frls - rock and marksaeng AT&T Watney 30/1 some form here and decent finish last week Mahan 28/1 can't remember exactly why I picked him (did it at lunch) but must have seen something in his previous results to pick him. Big question mark, for me, if these two are winner material or not. Frls  Monteray - Palmer and furyk Pebble - Holmes and blixt Douglass - Langley and bohn Fun trebles and doubles (£4 total) on- poulter, Palmer, blixt, Holmes, Langley and bohn Gl all
    Posted by jdsallstar

The good - both T1 on their courses :D

The bad - for some unknown reason i decided to take furyk, and only furyk, out my trebles and doubles bets :(

• edited February 2015
    Spotted this price just down when he was 18.0 on betfair and stticking with Jason Day 

https://members.bet365.com/INSTANTBET/MEMBERS/images/common/history/1x31-history-row-bg.gif'); background-color: #f4f4f4; background-repeat: repeat-x">13/02/2015 21:18:23https://members.bet365.com/INSTANTBET/MEMBERS/images/common/history/1x31-history-row-bg.gif'); background-color: #f4f4f4; background-repeat: repeat-x">5.00https://members.bet365.com/INSTANTBET/MEMBERS/images/common/history/1x31-history-row-bg.gif'); background-color: #f4f4f4; background-repeat: repeat-x">0.00
    Bet DetailsDate/TimeStakeReturn
    Jordan Spieth @  22/1
    £5.00  Single
    Total for this period 5.000.0
  • edited February 2015
    Getting a bit of a nosebleed in the fantasy R2D now! Up to the staggering heights of 12th! Shame Jaidee came up just 1 shot short of forcing a play-off. Would of strongly faniced him with his experience and home support.
  • edited February 2015
    Getting a bit of a nosebleed in the fantasy R2D now! Up to the staggering heights of 12th! Shame Jaidee came up just 1 shot short of forcing a play-off. Would of strongly faniced him with his experience and home support.
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Unlucky on Jaidee, well done on The Fantasy Thingy
  • edited February 2015
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Nice going Flash.

If you fancy doing some early research, I'm pretty sure the Avantha Masters used to be held on the same course as next weeks events.
  • edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2015 Season! (AT&T Pebble + Thailand Classic) : Nice going Flash. If you fancy doing some early research, I'm pretty sure the Avantha Masters used to be held on the same course as next weeks events.
    Posted by TheDart
    I have been doing some research already this evening and shortlisted a few names. I didn't realise the Avantha Masters was held here though. I used the 3 events on the Asian Tour, I'll have a look at the Avantha tomorrow and hopefully it will cement my list

EDIT: Just looked and it was only held at New Delhi Golf club in 2007, where incidentally it was won by SSP Chawrasia who is on my shortlist. :)
  • edited February 2015

Last week Flash noted I had 66/1 winner Anirban Lahri as my main European Tour fantasy pick for the Malaysian Open, yet didn't post him as a pick on here.

Well I also participate in the PGA Tour fantasy comp where you have 4 picks a week, over the last 3 weeks I have included all 3 winners (Koepka, Day and Snedeker) in my fantasy picks yet failed to put any of them up as a pick on here!

I've been having quiet words with myself, something needs to give / change.

• edited February 2015
    Very poor fare from India this week. Very surprised Sky are covering it. Anyways nipped in early to take the 100/1 with Sky on JB Kruger,  the 30/1 with Bet365 on Marcus Fraser, and finally for now the 125/1 with The Power on John Parry. That will do for now til after reading what the experts on here fancy. 
  • edited February 2015
    Very poor fare from India this week. Very surprised Sky are covering it. Anyways nipped in early to take the 100/1 with Sky on JB Kruger,  the 30/1 with Bet365 on Marcus Fraser, and finally for now the 125/1 with The Power on John Parry. That will do for now til after reading what the experts on here fancy. 
    Posted by joesman1
    We'll see if you are still saying that come Sunday morning, when your man is playing the last with a one shot lead ;)

For the record all 3 of your picks were on my short list, but my thought process has gone like this:

JB Kruger - He's won on this course. I've backed him a few times over the last few months and he seems to string a few birdies together and then mess up, I've lost faith in him, though 100/1 is a great price and I'll probably be physically sick if he wins.
    EDIT: He's won in India but not on this course, though he has played here in Asian Tour events.

Marcus Fraser - I know you are a big supporter of Fraser in these sort of events, he also has form here, price is about right,  can he make enough putts? If he can he should go close. I should back him, but just for you Neil I might not.

John Parry - One of my potential dark horses for this week, so surprised you've also singled him out, history would suggest that no golfer, horse or football team can win when they get the combination of TheDart and Joesman1's support, so probably best I leave alone now.
  • edited February 2015
    Hero Indian Open

Right then, a new event to the European Tour, but as it happens there's plenty of course form to be found out there, especially from regular slots on the Asian Tour.

Which means there's a lot of past course winners and loads of players with course knowledge and form.

A short course said to reward accuracy and shot making as opposed to wellying it off the tee.

SSP Chowrasia - 2 points ew 33/1, perhaps an obvious pick, as he won the Avantha Masters here in 2008 and won an Asian Tour event here as recently as November 2014. Plenty of other good results on this course and has being holding his own most weeks on tour in Europe, whilst he remains one of the stronger players on the Asian Tour. Though horses for courses is the real onus this week

Arjun Atwal - 2 points ew 50/1, India's first international golfer, he has two wins to his name on this course, he's recently shown a return to form with a win in Dubai on the Asian Tour at the end of last year. Looks to be the value in the field this week.

Lee Slattery - 0.5 points ew 80/1, lost his card last year so restricted playing rights this season have limited him to just 3 starts, but he came 3rd in one of those events. Not the longest off the tee, but that shouldn't be a problem here.

John Parry - 0.5 points ew 100/1, he went 22 events last year without making a cut, before finding a bit of form at the send of the season with 4 cuts made from 7. Went back to tour school and rediscovered his game finishing 6th.

Last weeks 11th suggests that John Parry has a competitive game once again and at his best he has a real good chance in this field.

EDIT: ADDED Mithun Perera - 0.5 points ew 150/1, I put him up as a selection on here a couple of months ago after he finished 2nd on the Asian Tour at this very course.

I've kept half an eye on him since then, his achilles heel appears to be lack of length, but accuracy wise he appears to have an excellent game, lack of length not a problem here which is backed up be Perera's excellent course form.

European Tour Starting Balance = -49.5 points
    Hero Indian Open Investment = 11 points
    Balance Carried Forward = -60.5 points
  • edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: Get in the Hole! 2015 Season! (AT&T Pebble + Thailand Classic) : We'll see if you are still saying that come Sunday morning, when your man is playing the last with a one shot lead ;) For the record all 3 of your picks were on my short list, but my thought process has gone like this: JB Kruger - He's won on this course. I've backed him a few times over the last few months and he seems to string a few birdies together and then mess up, I've lost faith in him, though 100/1 is a great price and I'll probably be physically sick if he wins. Marcus Fraser - I know you are a big supporter of Fraser in these sort of events, he also has form here, price is about right,  can he make enough putts? If he can he should go close. I should back him, but just for you Neil I might not. John Parry - One of my potential dark horses for this week, so surprised you've also singled him out, history would suggest that no golfer, horse or football team can win when they get the combination of TheDart and Joesman1's support, so probably best I leave alone now.
    Posted by TheDart
    That is SO true, so if I get wind of u backing a dog in the next 8 days...... I'll come find u, and I'll... I'll throw a tantrum!!!
  • edited February 2015

Northern Trust Open

No messing about this week, straight in with 4 players who at the very least must give me one place return.

Harris English 2 points ew 40/1, playing well, 3rd in Hawaii, lost to Day in a 4 man playoff last time, top 10 here. I expected him to be priced up at 25/1 - 33/1. Very pleased with 40/1.

Hunter Mahan 1.5 points ew 50/1, recently admitted that this was one of his favorite courses and an event he really hoped to win.

Webb Simpson 1.5 points ew 50/1, tied 7th last time out, tied 6th here in 2013.

Keegan Bradley 1 point ew 50/1, lost in a playoff here in 2012, will it be Bradley or Simpson who become the first player to win after switching from the soon to be illegal long putter.

PGA Tour Starting Balance this week = - 41 Points

Northern Trust Investment = 12 Points 
    Balance Carried Forwards = -53 Points